Type keyword(s) to search

Tokyo Ghoul - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yes, that’s Hide. The word “infiltration” comes to mind, since the Gourmet brought it up.

Ep. 2.3 – Hangman

Huh, the one-eyed twins have the same lily flower kagune as Kaneki. BTW, do we know who killed Rize and set all this in motion yet?

I’ve been trying to see the point of Jason Lite. (I’m with Ayoto: his crying tantrums are hard to listen to.) I suppose it’s to remind Kaneki that he was tortured, and to be yet another reflection for him. (First, the twins, now Jason’s protégé.) It’s important that Kaneki sees Naki as a victim, I suppose, and reacts kindly to him. If Naki is also here to humanize Jason, it’s a waste of time, though. Good riddance to Jason.

So, Stitches gets the credit for killing Jason? At least he was honest that someone else (Kaneki) did most of the work.

I wish the show hadn’t named the internment camp Cochlea. I know it means “spiral”, but I think “inner ear” every time it’s said. And I can’t take Inner Ear Prison seriously.

I looked up the latest book title: MacGuffin, the Hanged Man. More symbolism for Kaneki...

Aogiri didn't know who was in the transport truck when they did their jailbreak. Oops!

Megaversity is my new unfavorite intensely stupid neologism. What's next, multiversity? Omniversity? Panversity?

I expect that Takatsuki (the author with blue hair) will have some significance other than just writing books. Seems like she knows who Kaneki is.

5 hours ago, weyrbunny said:

Huh, the one-eyed twins have the same lily flower kagune as Kaneki. BTW, do we know who killed Rize and set all this in motion yet?

Lily flower? I didn't catch that. Maybe some more symbolism then, because red (spider) lilies symbolize separation or abandonment in the Japanese language of flowers.

I got the impression it was a trap too.  

I totally missed that the Owl was the coffee shop owner; maybe that clue was too subtle for me.  

I agree that I like the silences and overall less chattiness of this season.  It almost feels like a different show.  

Heh. Thanks for that.

Still no explanation as to exactly why Gimp Mask (Kaneki) switched teams. He leads an attack on the super secure Cloaca Prison, or whatever it's called. Dozens of his new Aogiri friends get scragged while he stops to fight a duel with the guy they came to rescue. Dude, clock is ticking, government reinforcements are on the way, you know? Also, turns out that Stitches knows the Twins.

Watching the Doves fighting the ghouls makes me wonder: How the hell are they even a threat when their attacks with their ghoulish (pun intended) frankenweapons are so slow that even a desk jockey like me could avoid them?

How can an episode have so much action, yet be so dull? Kaneki suddenly has a new beak-mask for some reason, and acts all psycho. Stiches is a complete jerk and carries knives the way that Meryl from Trigun carries derringers. There's a bunch of fighting, some flashbackery, and a bit of characters eating other characters.

This show is an odd mix of Tokyo office worker stress plus killing ghouls stress.  And how tall is Amon anyway?  When he barely can walk out of that door early in the episode, he's approximately seven feet tall.  

I do like that we're still continuing the "Rize is a glutton" thread a bit.  I'm hoping there's an eventual payoff. 

The anime is interesting, but not compelling. Nice to see Kaneki crash mentally. "Stitches" is just the biggest friggin' mess. I mean, I thought there was a factory that pumped out deranged white-haired Ghoul hunters, but the kid was put through the wringer. Also: two of his classmates became Ghouls; probably the same way Kaneki was changed, because "wacky E/R mishap" is too dopey for this anime.

Seriously, what made Mado a lunatic, and how long before his daughter starts murdering innocent Ghouls and break out the bugged-out eye, like Uncle Ruckus in The Boondocks?

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Seriously, what made Mado a lunatic, and how long before his daughter starts murdering innocent Ghouls and break out the bugged-out eye, like Uncle Ruckus in The Boondocks?

Maybe they'll give her an "Uncle Ruckus Tuba" musical motif. Or would that be too wacky for this show?

Since I don't really have anything else to say about last week's episode, I figured I'd point out that it included one of the features of the Japanese office drone experience - The expectation that one will go out with coworkers for the occasional evening of light dinner and heavy drinking. Liver damage = teamwork.

This week: Kaneki visits the coffee shop and might come back to stay. Maybe. We finally find someone who can intimidate Stitches: The blue haired author lady. And author lady seems to want to put the Doves on the trail of Anteiku.

I hope the coffee shop gets a bulk discount on glassware or has a glass-blowing oven in the back, because clumsy waitress was in rare form this week.

Forgot to mention: This episode was much too angst-free. I expect doubly bad things to happen next week.

Also keep forgetting to mention: The current opening theme is awful. The singer, piano player, and drummer sound like they're each performing a different tune and got accidentally mixed together.

I fast-forward through openings. Pale Kaneki, hands put mask on Pale Keneki, hands remove mask from Pale Keneki, he sheds a bloody tear.

I caught up to last week's episode. I gotta use the Gourmet on a motivational poster, because the motherfucker STILL has the napkin with Kaneki's blood. That shit ain't normal for anybody, human or ghoul. "HEY!!! QUIET IN THERE! WE DON'T CARE IF YOU JERK OFF AS LONG AS YOU BUY OUR COFFEE, BUT TRY TO PRETEND NOT TO BE A GODDAMN PERV!!!!"

So . . . the quirky author. Friend of ghouls, dime-dropper for Doves, or just a plot device taken form that will drag Keneki back to figurative and/or literal humanity?

In case you didn't hear, we got a Dragon Ball Z Kai marathon next week.

So . . . the old guy is the Owl's father. And Owl is half-Ghoul. Okay, then. That remains me of something I read in the manga. I don't think it's been said in the anime, so I'll put it under spoilers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Spoiler

From what I remember, human/ghoul pregnancies are either rare or non-existent. If a Ghoul mother has a human child, her body destroys the fetus. If a human mother has a Ghoul child, the fetus eats the mother from within.

Got around to seeing last week's episode. Earlier in the day, I was on the hunt for low-cost 5 Hour Energy . . . .and guess what I saw on a peg in the toy aisle for $19.99? I had to share.

59bcab3f59973_20170915_1123091.thumb.jpg.9bbc92948dfb7fb785aec179260dd70e.jpg

The episode? Right. War breaks out. Keneki snaps out of his badass brooding to discover that the Doves are attacking Anteiku. Before that, most of the Doves write letters to their loved ones in case they get killed. I'm hoping the front line guys had time to do that, because they are wiped out in seconds. Turns out that the lady and the big goofy guy from Anteiku were leaders of rival Ghoul factions, and they team their teams up to combat the Doves. Oh, and Keneki has words with the four-eyed Ghoul. And Tsukiyama. And Tsukiyama attacks because he still wants that sweet, sweet Kaneki flavor.

Nice flashback with Mado. Looks like he wasn't born with the bulging eye.

Also, Old-Guy-As-Owl isn't trying to avoid casualties this time.

Tell me again why the Doves decided to attack on the one ghoul group that was keeping the ghouls in its area from running amok? "Hey, things are relatively peaceful in this ward. Let's put a stop to it!"

I had the same impression about the OE Owl.  Oh, wait.

This was supposed to show that the old Owl went out fighting as penance, just like the devil ape and black dog, right?

Trying to figure out who in the cast may be the young owl.  Kaneki's delivery boy friend?

I can see how it's one of the top 20 prettiest shoes, but the plot is pretty elliptical.  Maybe I should've read those novels first?

i see that we left plenty of room for a second or third series. 

My main disappointment is that Touka was a pretty good character, until she went all straight-edge and only cared about chasing after Kaneki (literally).  Such a waste.  

After all that carnage, the only part of their objective that the Doves accomplished was killing Old Guy Owl, with maybe an unexpected bonus of killing or capturing Kaneki depending on what happens after this season. Everyone else at Anteiku got away.

The real Owl's voice sounded female to me. Old guy's granddaughter maybe?

On 10/2/2017 at 7:09 PM, lathspel said:

My main disappointment is that Touka was a pretty good character, until she went all straight-edge and only cared about chasing after Kaneki (literally).  Such a waste.  

I like the way that she had to spend two and a fraction episodes to cover a distance that she would probably cover in about two minutes under normal circumstances. Not quite as bad as the Vizards in Bleach, who took something like 5 seasons to walk across town, but still...

23 hours ago, lathspel said:

And, based on the bandages, she's also the author?  I'm confused.

That would be interesting, since the author is the one who subtly pointed Shinohara in the direction of Anteiku.

Saw the finale. That's it, I guess. I heard another anime is being developed, which could answer lingering questions . . . like how a doctor can fuck up Kaneki's life by sticking Ghoul Parts inside him. I'm kinda good with him slowly carrying Hide's body (corpse?) back to the Doves.

Found this on Facebook. Apparently, it's popular there. This is a band covering "Unravel," which was used in the opening credits of the first series. Thanks to Otaku Lyrics 301, I keep hearing an early line as "Oh no she can't eat dick/Give me koala poo/[Random Kitty Noises]"

Also, for anybody disappointed in Root A, there's going to be another Tokyo Ghoul anime airing in Japan in 2018. Not sure if Toonami would instantly jump on that.

Tokyo Ghoul is the anime which i'm sure will keep you on your toes. All its darkness and gore is quite enjoyable for anyone who is sick of the mainstream stories.

Despite the fact that the concept of having new powers isn't unique in the anime world, but Tokyo Ghoul takes it to a whole different level. It makes us realize that there is no clear distinction among the good and evil and it all depends on views or what you may calll perspective. Infact, it sometimes reminds us that we ought to not jump to conclusions with out thinking about the situations and problems faced through the others. And after finishing season 3 i even purchased ghoul mask from here because i got so hooked to the whole franchise.

I love that fact that all the soundtracks are good, the story is great adn the art is crisp and it keeps the viewer interested at all times. Highly recommended