Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Got Us Misty, Choked Us Up Or Made Us Cry

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I think the longer version put everything in context of what the family was dealing with, and the iPad was a bit of distraction in a home that probably didn't have technology (and a grieving, stressed grandparent) where as the short version just looks like they're shoving the iPad in their faces so they don't have to interact.

I watched the long version, and it's all the parents ever do with them.  Yes, everyone is grieving - including those girls - but if I of all people feel sorry for two kids constantly getting told to knock it off when they're just being kids, it's excessive.  Whether they're doing something they actually need to be redirected from, like fighting in the backseat or pushing the light on and off on the airplane, or just existing, they get handed a device and shooed away. 

The grandpa can barely be bothered to say hello to them, and when they move on to the dog, who might actually be as excited to see them as they are to see her/him, they get told to “settle down”.  When they make their own non-electronic fun playing with the dog, all they get is “Make sure you clean that up.”  Why not wait and see if they don’t do it on their own?  They’re constantly herded into another room and handed a screen.  They’re nice enough to ask if grandpa is still sad, and get told to keep busy and not annoy grandpa.  On and on.  They find photos and videos on their own and do this really nice thing for a family that has spent the entire visit excluding them, and finally everyone talks to each other.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, ellenr33 said:

Oh man the ending of this commercial hit me like a ton of bricks! 

I wonder if the actor playing the girl hiding in the bathroom texting her mom has been in anything else, because she does a hauntingly terrific job conveying her character's breath-holding terror as the door opens and footsteps approach.

That PSA would have got to me any time, but my best friend's niece was recently traumatized by having to flee a school shooting that started just a few yards away from her, so it really socked me in the stomach.

My heart breaks whenever a school shooting happens but Sandy Hook was one that really really broke my heart. While I always think that shooting someone is no way to deal with bullying or issues at school I can understand what bullying does to you. These kids did nothing to that guy and it didn't help that at that time in my life I was babysitting my nephew who was these kids age! 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That PSA would have got to me any time, but my best friend's niece was recently traumatized by having to flee a school shooting that started just a few yards away from her, so it really socked me in the stomach.

Oh, my god. I'm so sorry. 

I sincerely hope every single person affected in some way by the Sandy Hook tragedy, from the survivors to the families to the people who had to respond to the scene to the people who prepared the funerals and so on, has been getting all the therapy and other kinds of necessary help, support, and comfort they need. I appreciate them continuing to speak out as they are. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, my god. I'm so sorry. 

I sincerely hope every single person affected in some way by the Sandy Hook tragedy, from the survivors to the families to the people who had to respond to the scene to the people who prepared the funerals and so on, has been getting all the therapy and other kinds of necessary help, support, and comfort they need. I appreciate them continuing to speak out as they are. 

I hope Alex Jones ends up in prison.

• Love 17
(edited)

One of the most moving TV ads is on MSNBC, of all places. It's a tribute to the late, great John Lewis, the civil rights icon and GA congressman who died of cancer. It's just music and black and white pictures of some of the highlights of Lewis' life, ending with the quote, "This is a legacy that marches on." Beautiful, to say the least.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 15
On 7/28/2020 at 6:46 AM, DollEyes said:

One of the most moving TV ads is on MSNBC, of all places. It's a tribute to the late, great John Lewis, the civil rights icon and GA congressman who died of cancer. It's just music and black and white pictures of some of the highlights of Lewis' life, ending with the quote, "This is a legacy that marches on." Beautiful, to say the least.

Agree. Wonderfully done. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

I attached the wrong link! That one was the shorter version; THIS is the full-length spot:

The New Guy

Oh good, 'cause I'm like, "Shoes?"

That commercial is very sweet, and the actor did a good job of appearing to feel awkward and unsure.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 5

I love the Amazon commercial. 

I love the Christmas one for Kohl's where the little girl and the woman next door hold up notes to each other, then the woman disappears, and reappears a longtime later, and has a hospital bracelet on.     Then the woman writes a note asking if the girl received what she wanted for Christmas, and when the little girl says yes, you know that she wanted her friend next door to come back.   

I love the Chewy commercial where the woman tells each pet that they're her favorite, and she sends them all gifts, and gets pictures of the pets wearing her gifts.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

They just ran this full two minute Amazon ad on football today.  Who's crying?

Me.  That was beautiful.  Except I was thinking she needs a sweater.  Brrr!

• Love 3
On 12/16/2019 at 4:53 PM, ellenr33 said:

Oh man the ending of this commercial hit me like a ton of bricks! 

As someone who works one town over from Newtown /Sandy Hook and remembers hearing the sirens that day like it was yesterday, I'm going to be in the very big minority here by saying that I find this commercial appalling and only for shock value.

• Love 8
On 11/9/2020 at 1:10 PM, ctlady said:

As someone who works one town over from Newtown /Sandy Hook and remembers hearing the sirens that day like it was yesterday, I'm going to be in the very big minority here by saying that I find this commercial appalling and only for shock value.

I'm sorry to hear that you had to deal with that... but I completely agree with you. That commercial is indescribably offensive.

The Google commercial with the hearing son and the deaf parents. While it's all-around heartwarming, it's the actor's line reading of this, and I can't quite explain why: "My parents were born deaf. I was not." Maybe it's the matter-of-fact way he states it before explaining how he would translate for them.

• Love 3

I didn't know Onstar had a people-tracking thing, too. The commercial that gets me weepy is when the adult woman finds her dad sitting on a park bench and he tells her "Your mother loved this park."  My heart breaks for him. Yet how lucky he was to find someone to love so deeply.

• Love 11

There's a commercial playing during the Olympics about a baby girl from Siberia who will need to have her legs amputated.  The potential adoptive mother, hearing the situation over the phone, doesn't hesitate one heartbeat before she agrees that the baby's life will be hard, but also "Amazing."  

And while all this is going on, there are beautifully filmed scenes of the girl's life as she grows, as she starts to swim--missing her legs below the knees--while the water rolls in and fills the frame for each scene.

At the end, the young woman smiles at the camera and starts swimming into the sunset--west, toward the woman who will be giving her that amazing life.

I can hardly type, I'm so choked up thinking about this commercial.

• Love 12

For as long as that commercial has been playing (for every recent Olympics) I still look up and watch it.  She is so beautiful and that radiant smile she gives her mom just warms my heart.

• Love 7

There is a brand new commercial for Publix with a man chatting on the phone with his mom about wanting to make the perfect dinner for his guest. The door opens, its a woman and you think it's going to be a proposal but he's meeting her daughter for the first time. The actor playing the boyfriend is just perfect.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

There is a brand new commercial for Publix with a man chatting on the phone with his mom about wanting to make the perfect dinner for his guest. The door opens, its a woman and you think it's going to be a proposal but he's meeting her daughter for the first time. The actor playing the boyfriend is just perfect.

I posted the ispot link to it in the "favorites" thread. Publix has such damn sweet ads.

• Love 2

I can’t find a thread for Super Bowl commercials. In a SB Commercials program, they counted down the 10 best, and had viewers pick the top one. The two in contention were the Mean Joe Green gets a Coke, and the Clydesdale brotherhood one. Clydesdale won! Brings tears to my eyes every time. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

I can’t find a thread for Super Bowl commercials. In a SB Commercials program, they counted down the 10 best, and had viewers pick the top one. The two in contention were the Mean Joe Green gets a Coke, and the Clydesdale brotherhood one. Clydesdale won! Brings tears to my eyes every time. 

OMG, I'm sobbing.

• Love 6
On 9/30/2022 at 7:03 AM, Haleth said:

This makes me almost almost give in to my husband's wish for a dog.

Then the cat talks me out of it.

Never meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are devious and will hork up a hairball in your bed, where you will find it with your toes when you crawl in. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Never meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are devious and will hork up a hairball in your bed, where you will find it with your toes when you crawl in. 

She woke me up at 4:15 this morning throwing up.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1