Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Got Us Misty, Choked Us Up Or Made Us Cry

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

There's a fairly new Pampers commercial with a newborn, and at the end the adorable baby is looking up at her mom's face and it just looks like she's saying "You're my mom, and I love you".  

I had polio when I was 2, and in and out of hospitals for the next 6 years.  Some don't believe that you can remember anything that far back, but I had a wonderful male nurse that was so caring and kind, and I've never forgot him.  I just had had surgeries on both my legs, and I was in a lot of pain and the casts were itching.  This young man came into my room in the middle of the night because he heard me crying, and sat with me, talking softly and holding my hand.  I can still see him in my mind's eye, a young blonde guy, dressed in white, who was so wonderful.  He got to know my parents and kept them updated on my situation.  This male nurse, which was VERY rare back then, will be in my heart forever.  

Lovely story about the nurse.  (I've always heard you start to retain memories around three so I have absolutely no difficulty believing this is what happened.)

I like this ad too (and I generally despise the majority of US ads - not funny, not clever, too cloying).  Unlike in TV shows/movies, the mom here actually looks as though she could have just had a baby (no makeup, sweaty, hospital gown, etc), and the baby looks like a newborn, not a plump three-month-old.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2

The commercial for Dawn Dish Soap where they pick up the baby duck in the oil spill to clean the poor baby, and the duck ends up with going to the water with mom and siblings. I buy Dawn because they help animals hurt in oil spills and other disasters.

Edited by bigskygirl
15 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I buy Dawn because they help animals hurt in oil spills and other disasters.

And then turn around and test the product on animals, rather than using cruelty-free procedures to determine safety.  (Unless something has changed with P&G in the past couple of years, but last time I dug in, Dawn was still among its many products that had undergone animal testing, and a quick internet search didn't reveal any indication of a change.  And certainly P&G's overall product testing philosophy hasn't changed.) 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

I refuse to watch the ASPCA commercials, but I make my cat sit through them to remind her how good she has it.

One was on the other day, and caught the eye of one of my twin toddlers. She didn't like to see the "sad puppies and kitties". I hate those commercials. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, charmed1 said:

I refuse to watch the ASPCA commercials, but I make my cat sit through them to remind her how good she has it.

Heh -  I tell my two cats when those commercials are on that they don't know how good they have it, lol.

• Love 6

Our cats don't seem all that interested in TV in general, but every so often one of them will notice those commercials when they come on. My first cat I owned would watch them, too-she'd sit and watch TV with us constantly and was always fascinated by stuff featuring animals. 

I have a tough time watching those commercials, too. Those poor babies :(. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I cry on most of the Subaru commercials, especially the ones that have dogs in them. I've even started thinking that my next car might be a Subaru. Hats off to their advertising team.

Back when Car Talk was on NPR, the brothers often recommended Subaru. I'd like to think they still make a quality product. Yes, the dogs are adorable.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, funky-rat said:

Heh -  I tell my two cats when those commercials are on that they don't know how good they have it, lol.

I tell my cat how lucky is she to have a roof over her head, food to eat, a cat bed to sleep in, a window to look out at her small part of the universe, a yard and neighborhood to run around in, and two humans who love her. She rolls her eyes like okay I get it, enough already okay. Like a teenager! Ha!

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Back when Car Talk was on NPR, the brothers often recommended Subaru. I'd like to think they still make a quality product. Yes, the dogs are adorable.

Several family members swear by them, but much like the other touted brands - Toyota and Honda - I can't afford them.  Even used ones go for high dollar.  :/

21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I just totaled my Subaru last week in a crash and walked away literally, without a scratch. You can bet your ass I'm getting another one to replace it!

• Love 9
11 hours ago, cynicat said:

I just totaled my Subaru last week in a crash and walked away literally, without a scratch. You can bet your ass I'm getting another one to replace it!

Me too with my Honda.  Both cars totaled, both Hondas coincidentally, and we both were fine.

• Love 4

I was watching a show on sports after 9/11 and the stories were both uplifting and heartbreaking.  I sniffled quite a few times throughout the show.  

Then.  At the end.  I get a first glimpse of a Clydesdale and I know what ad is coming. Cue waterworks!

Why is it that I feel empathy for people, and sob like a baby at animals?

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Why is it that I feel empathy for people, and sob like a baby at animals?

Don't remember the song name, but the lyrics say "Bless the beasts and the children, for in this world, they have no choice, they have no voice".

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't even know what movie you're referring to, the words just hit me like a feels wrecking ball.

The movie is called Bless the Beasts and the Children.  Billy Mumy is in it.  It involves graphic violence to animals.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

The movie is called Bless the Beasts and the Children.  Billy Mumy is in it.  It involves graphic violence to animals.

He didn't wish anyone into a cornfield, did he :p? 

Seriously, thanks for that heads up about the animals. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Did that movie start out with people shooting  children in a pen or am I thinking of The Cowboys?

• Love 1

The song, Bless the Beasts and the Children was sung by Karen Carpenter, just reading those words, I hear her haunting, beautiful voice. I don't know if it was one of her solos or if it is attributed to The Carpenters. I may have seen that movie, I know I saw previews in coming attractions, and because of those, I'm not sure I would have seen the movie.

And to keep it on subject, the Clydesdales 911 ad has only aired on tv once. I've seen it a couple of times on Youtube, it's so beautiful and so hard to watch, I just can't. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, friendperidot said:

The song, Bless the Beasts and the Children was sung by Karen Carpenter, just reading those words, I hear her haunting, beautiful voice. I don't know if it was one of her solos or if it is attributed to The Carpenters. I may have seen that movie, I know I saw previews in coming attractions, and because of those, I'm not sure I would have seen the movie.

Answering in Small Talk.

There is a new Red Rose commercial that gets me every time .

a man is having tea with his daughter. There is a knock at the door and she lets a girl in. The Dad makes a comment that he didn’t know she was having a friend over. She rep,it’s that this isn’t just a friend but is her girl friend. The Dad gets up and walks away. The 2 girls are devastated. Then he comes back, puts a cup of tea in front of her and says “ So tell me about yourself”

getsme everytimd

• Love 8
On 9/4/2018 at 4:05 PM, Annber03 said:

Our cats don't seem all that interested in TV in general, but every so often one of them will notice those commercials when they come on. My first cat I owned would watch them, too-she'd sit and watch TV with us constantly and was always fascinated by stuff featuring animals. 

I have a tough time watching those commercials, too. Those poor babies :(. 

My dog is an avid tv watcher.  She gives absolute hell by barking to big dogs (she’s 50 lbs so seems to be selective and doesn’t mind the littles) on tv. She loved/hated depending on your take a Range Rover commercial that had beautiful white dogs.  I need to DVR a commercial like that and play it if ever scared a la Home Alone .

One rainy Sunday she watched Back to the Future from start to finish. Never figured out why that movie captivated her so much.

Sometimes I wonder if dogs could be used for marketing.  There are some non animal related ads that play and she will run from another room once she hears the first note of a song to watch it.  

She also loves Game of Thrones.

There is one for TIAA (I typically love their commercials) and I love the whole ad but one has a  baby during bath time and the innocent and overwhelming joy on his face gets me every time.  I get tears but because he makes me so happy.

Hope this works

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

The commercial for AARP with the father trying to get his little girl to eat, and the next scene the daughter is trying to get the father to eat the soup chokes me up.

Oh my.  I found it, and I thought she was going to do the "here comes a plane" thing to him, which would piss me off, as I don't like the elderly treated like babies, but instead it was like she was just remembering what he used to do, and did it in front of him as a shared memory, but not to him.  And then that smile on his face when he remembered, and I was done for.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh my.  I found it, and I thought she was going to do the "here comes a plane" thing to him, which would piss me off, as I don't like the elderly treated like babies, but instead it was like she was just remembering what he used to do, and did it in front of him as a shared memory, but not to him.  And then that smile on his face when he remembered, and I was done for.

Oh dear I am bawling like a baby!

• Love 4