Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Got Us Misty, Choked Us Up Or Made Us Cry

• Start Topic

It's very cute, but I have to work really really hard to suspend disbelief enough for that bird with no "grown-up" feathers to be able to fly.  And for a bird that age not to have "grown-up" feathers.  Ducks grow up very fast!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It's very cute, but I have to work really really hard to suspend disbelief enough for that bird with no "grown-up" feathers to be able to fly.  And for a bird that age not to have "grown-up" feathers.  Ducks grow up very fast!

I was thinking the same thing, and then I was thinking, "I don't care because this is the cutest thing I've ever seen."

• Love 7

The duck penis is not straight, but spirals counterclockwise (!) from its base to its tip. The Muscovy duck penis completes six to 10 full twists over its 20-centimeter (7.8-inch) length.

“Like a selection of sex toys from a vending machine in a strange alien bar,” writes Prum, “duck penises come in ribbed, ridged and even toothy varieties” to hook into a female’s reproductive tract, which is as long and convoluted as the penis.

Female reproductive tracts are full of twists and turns or, as Prum puts it, “dead-end side pockets or cul-de-sacs,” and some spiral clockwise in the “opposite direction of the counter-clockwise spiraling duck penis.”

Forced copulations are “pervasively common in many species of ducks,” writes Prum. These are socially organized “gang rapes” that are “violent, ugly, dangerous and even deadly” and even sometimes end in the death of the female.

This represents a “selfish male evolutionary strategy that is at odds with the evolutionary interests of its female victims and possibly with the evolutionary interests of the entire species,” Prum writes. To spread their seed, these ducks are upsetting the natural order of selection.

But the females have mounted their own defense with an increasingly elaborate anatomy — including, in some cases, sharp turns in her reproductive canal that act almost as teeth, making it harder for ducks to inseminate during forced copulations.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The duck penis is not straight, but spirals counterclockwise (!) from its base to its tip. The Muscovy duck penis completes six to 10 full twists over its 20-centimeter (7.8-inch) length.

“Like a selection of sex toys from a vending machine in a strange alien bar,” writes Prum, “duck penises come in ribbed, ridged and even toothy varieties” to hook into a female’s reproductive tract, which is as long and convoluted as the penis.

Female reproductive tracts are full of twists and turns or, as Prum puts it, “dead-end side pockets or cul-de-sacs,” and some spiral clockwise in the “opposite direction of the counter-clockwise spiraling duck penis.”

Forced copulations are “pervasively common in many species of ducks,” writes Prum. These are socially organized “gang rapes” that are “violent, ugly, dangerous and even deadly” and even sometimes end in the death of the female.

This represents a “selfish male evolutionary strategy that is at odds with the evolutionary interests of its female victims and possibly with the evolutionary interests of the entire species,” Prum writes. To spread their seed, these ducks are upsetting the natural order of selection.

But the females have mounted their own defense with an increasingly elaborate anatomy — including, in some cases, sharp turns in her reproductive canal that act almost as teeth, making it harder for ducks to inseminate during forced copulations.

I...I....I don't really know what to do with this information. I legit think on traumatized right now. And I'm holding a stuffed duck!!! I don't know whether to cry into Duckie or throw him across the room. I'm also never watching Howard the Duck again. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
47 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

I...I....I don't really know what to do with this information. I legit think on traumatized right now. And I'm holding a stuffed duck!!! I don't know whether to cry into Duckie or throw him across the room. I'm also never watching Howard the Duck again. 

Think of Howard as being what ducks could be if they *weren't* stuck with a counterproductive evolutionary strategy :)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, callie lee 29 said:

Me, too!  What a horrible thing is a male duck! 

• Love 2
On 1/29/2019 at 7:17 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

We had somebody arrive with a pig in the back of a pickup truck - they wanted her spayed. Dr. W. did the honors.

Heh, the vet I worked for was also Dr. W. RIP, Doc.

• Love 1

That anti-smoking commercial with the 53 year old woman who dies two days after saying she wished she had never picked up a cigarette makes me so sad - also the one with her daughter.  For some reason I cannot look away.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, captain1 said:

That anti-smoking commercial with the 53 year old woman who dies two days after saying she wished she had never picked up a cigarette makes me so sad - also the one with her daughter.  For some reason I cannot look away.

God, yes. It's so haunting. Especially when they show a photo of her when she was younger, compared to how frail and ill she looked at the end. 

And she was only 53. 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned probably the most famous commercial Folgers Coffee ever did - "Peter Comes Home For Christmas". Yes, they were all actors and "Peter" probably is a grandfather by now - but it gets me every single time!!!

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned probably the most famous commercial Folgers Coffee ever did - "Peter Comes Home For Christmas". Yes, they were all actors and "Peter" probably is a grandfather by now - but it gets me every single time!!!

Is that the incestuous one?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Aryanna said:

You're thinking of this one.

Holy carp! I don't think I ever saw that one! Maybe they are only related through their divorced parents marriage to each other?? Let's hope.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 6/7/2019 at 10:09 PM, Gramto6 said:

Holy carp! I don't think I ever saw that one! Maybe they are only related through their divorced parents marriage to each other?? Let's hope.

The original commercial ends about the 36 second mark. The rest is added on as a joke. I can't remember who did it, maybe funny or die or something like that.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:50 PM, peacheslatour said:

I think ducks are adorable until I remember they are rapists with corkscrew shaped penii.

We had a library question about ducks mating and when we called the local zoo for info (pre-Internet days) the person there went on and on angrily about the horrors of duck mating practices. We had to tone it down for the patron.

• LOL 6
55 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Pigs, like ducks, have corkscrew shaped penises.  No wonder the sows squeal. 

Our darling pet cats would like a word:

The other purpose of the barbs on a cat's penis is to keep the female cat from escaping before mating is complete. She may attempt to flee because cats are more likely to be loners than dogs and resent the intrusion to some point. Mating is also painful for female cats, both because of the barbs themselves and because the male cat begins by biting the back of the female's neck.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

It’s not up on YouTube yet that I saw, but they just ran an Xfinity ad during the Macy’s Parade with grown-up Henry Thomas and ET and this Gen Xers heart felt something it didn’t know it was capable of.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

It’s not up on YouTube yet that I saw, but they just ran an Xfinity ad during the Macy’s Parade with grown-up Henry Thomas and ET and this Gen Xers heart felt something it didn’t know it was capable of.

I saw it and when I recognized Henry Thomas and realized this was the Elliot and ET reunion, I gasped and kept going omg omg omg....

It was beautiful.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

I'm old enough to have seen the movie in the theater. When that music score started on the commercial, I started crying.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm old enough to have seen the movie in the theater. When that music score started on the commercial, I started crying.

I just saw it. I didn't think it would really affect me. Tears, tears just started rolling down my cheeks. Well done, Xfinity!

• Love 6
On 11/30/2019 at 2:54 AM, Izzy85 said:

I saw the shorter version yesterday afternoon, but the ending had me sobbing in the kitchen when I was making my pies 😭😭

Good god, this commercial. I cry EVERY TIME. The Up music. Jesus, I can’t even think about it without waterworks starting.

• Love 6
On 11/29/2019 at 11:54 PM, Izzy85 said:

I saw the shorter version yesterday afternoon, but the ending had me sobbing in the kitchen when I was making my pies 😭😭

Oh, my.  The ET one didn't do anything to me, as I have no emotional attachment to the film (I saw it when it came out, it was good, I think I re-watched it once as an adult, it was good - that's it), but this made me burst into fat tears.  The adults keep shoving a device in those girls' face instead of interacting with them, yet they're still loving kids who have fun with the dog and then use the technology used to get them out of everyone's hair to make a thoughtful gift for the family.

• Love 5
On 11/30/2019 at 1:54 AM, Izzy85 said:

Damn you, Apple, for caving in to China on Hong Kong protesters and to Russia on Crimea, and then you do this. I cried, of course I did, but your heartstring-jerking manipulation of the public doesn't make up for bad things you do.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Damn you, Apple, for caving in to China on Hong Kong protesters and to Russia on Crimea, and then you do this. I cried, of course I did, but your heartstring-jerking manipulation of the public doesn't make up for bad things you do.

I agree. I think it got me so hard is because my mom died two years ago and my dad just about lost it. After taking care of him for two years we had to put him in assisted living.

• Love 1
On 11/30/2019 at 1:54 AM, Izzy85 said:

This is one of the times I am glad I live alone. No one to see be sobbing over a commercial.

• Love 11
On 12/1/2019 at 5:16 PM, Bastet said:

The adults keep shoving a device in those girls' face instead of interacting with them, yet they're still loving kids who have fun with the dog and then use the technology used to get them out of everyone's hair to make a thoughtful gift for the family.

I think the longer version put everything in context of what the family was dealing with, and the iPad was a bit of distraction in a home that probably didn't have technology (and a grieving, stressed grandparent) where as the short version just looks like they're shoving the iPad in their faces so they don't have to interact.

• Love 5