Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Draggily Ever After

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, RealReality said:

As an aside...someone mentioned it before, but I finally noticed that some of these girls have really, really bad skin.  I'm not even judging, because I have bad skin too.  

The greater mystery to me is how many queens have good skin.  Valentina's skin looks flawless.  But overall, given the heavy makeup I would expect a whole bunch of skin issues, but this has been the first season where it really stood out to me.  Maybe because I have a bigger TV?

I think it's because VH1 is an HD, whereas logo at least on my DirecTV system is still standard definition. I've been thinking over the last few episodes that the switch to a high def channel has done some of these queens no favors!

Forget about top three, Charlie was my clear-cut winner. The gown was beautiful and I really loved the hair accessories. But the homerun was the sidekick.  Instead of trying to create some deep meaningful background allegory, she just made it short, entertaining and funny.  But I'm a big fan of British humor so I might be a little biased on that front.

• Love 9

The conversation got me a little verklempt but I'm glad they included it. Just like the show, bars and clubs are supposed to be an escape, and...well, I don't mind an occasional reminder from RPDR that those spaces shouldn't be taken for granted.

I watch for fun too and the Pulse stuff was sad. But maybe somebody who has a problem with LGBT people will be able to see through their hatred and prejudice  and realize these are people. Just maybe it may help someone to look past their predjudice. I'm straight and live in the South and have seen some ugly things down here in the Bible Belt. 

• Love 2
On 4/8/2017 at 1:01 PM, Silly Angel said:

Did NOT see that coming from Aja. She, Trinity and Valentina are in for the slaying. I enjoyed how well-spoken Sasha Velour was, seeing as how the vapidity of some of the queens is played up (I'm looking at you, Pee-on Greyjoy, also, buh-bye, you ain't that pretty) and how much Charlie Hides' sidekick looked like Sarah Palin. So excited for this season's Snatch Game.

Oh crap, it's so late that I cannot- for the life of me remember who Pee-on Greyjoy is. But I want to!

Ohhh yeah,  I knew I was missing some killer syncs... Raja and Carmen's too hot for TV? (Off to LYFYL thread.)

Trinity has always been my top- heh. Now I'm thinking Charlie Hides, and Farrah Moan for a "well-rounded" T3. Farrah Moan, mainly/only if they do a S7 type-of final 3. Not a spoiler, I know NOTHING. Alexis= Miss Congeniality? Or is she going even further!? And, man I always forget Alexis, because I only see (non-All Stars) Roxxxy.

Aja, you slay, and I will forgive ALMOST any outfit for those moves. Unfortunately, your outfit was TERRIBLE. And your makeup is terrible! Get rid of the nose ring for the next challenge. Take some GaGa advice. Though, come take photos of me anytime. If you weren't from NY, I'd be convinced you were one of J-Lo's backup dancers with your boy look. Nose ring, backwards cap- K-Fed cred.

This was the second time that I thought Peppermint would do a tear-away, and was left cold in the end. Come through Peppermint! Show us a little something, something!

Cynthia's CuCu: Okay, I love it (the phrase) now (when it's not overplayed). Context is everything. The explanation made it. I thought "CuCu" meant something more "Gia Gunn", so I'm happy to be wrong about that.

Yep. Aja will be S9 Trinity. Here to clear, and when her time is up- she'll be given one of these classic elimination lips syncs:  Adele, gospel, or slow, soulful Motown/Country song against Eureka. And then see ya, Aja!

On Photo Ruview, R&R did mention that this was the first season in high-def. Hence why my Twitter is full of ProActiv/Drag Race mentions... poor Queens.

(Dark paragraph ahead): The mention of Pulse on Drag Race: Drag Race has always given a palatable, easily digestible view of LGTBQI? issues to it's straighter, more conservative audience members through various historical and politically relevant mentions. If one more viewer understands the stigma that still plagues the community, that is one more person enlightened to the struggle. So I didn't see it as a bad thing. Younger viewers need to see that there is still more work to be done, beyond family struggles, family abandonment, psychological and physical diseases, Veteran's rights, etc. To NOT mention Pulse, would do a disservice to the show's herstory (Just my opinion.) And through Cynthia's story, we got a personal account, but we weren't beaten over the head with it a la a "Special Episode." It goes without saying, that the attack on Pulse was an abominable tragedy that we will always remember. May the universe rest the beautiful souls that were taken far too soon- by forces of pathological, nonsensical hatred and fear. These are the men and women we continue to fight and speak out in honor of.

Stop reading here, because here's where I go off-course.

Snatch Game: (If there's a thread I'll remove this.) I am ignoring ALL political possibilities, because that's TOO EASY. I know we already had a good Taylor Swift, but FM would have the look, vibe, and voice DOWN. Plus, it's been awhile. Since we recently had a winning Adele, I'd love to see a Lena Dunham just randomly disrobe, and yell out tasteless offensive pretentious hipster BS. Hides will probably do an older starlet, but I'd love to see her skewer Paltrow. I'd also love to see an Adore (Aja if you make it that long? I know some viewers hate Queens playing Queens though. I know it's early, but NO ONE do Beyonce please. She's just NOT funny. I have predictions for the rest, but they'll all be wrong, so I'll spare you. Though, how much you wanna bet there are two that choose the same one, and drama ensues? Please no again on the politically- adjacent characters, however I feel that's where we're heading- I hope that I'm wrong. 

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Granimal said:

Oh crap, it's so late that I cannot- for the life of me remember who Pee-on Greyjoy is. But I want to!

Sorry, my dumb joke. Frikkin Kimora talking all "We do not sew," which are the words of House Greyjoy in Game of Thrones--only it's "sow."

• Love 2

I had a flash of insight when I was watching Raven and Raja's photo ruview just now. (They inexplicably picked the Charlie's boring dress as top toot of the week, but w/e.) I wasn't watching it maximized, and one of the thumbnails of related videos on the right side of the screen showed Valentina in her "hometown" look -- that balero thing she wore. Then Aja came up in the photo ruview, and I realized that basic silhouette was very similar between the two. Aja added a long coat, but the high waisted panty thing + chaps jujz she was going for? Almost the same. Then I was thinking about how Aja went after Valentina in Untucked. Maybe at some level, Aja was feeling like, "WAIT THEY LOVED THIS WHEN VALENTINA DID IT, BUT WHEN I DO IT, IT'S BAD? NO FAIR!!!" Hmmmm. But yeah, compare the two. (I got these screencaps from T-Lo, whose podcast is always a fun listen when Tom isn't being too mean to Lorenzo.)

Valentina Rupauls-Drag-Race-Season-9-Episode-1-VH1

Aja RuPaul-Drag-Race-Season-9-Episode-3-TV-R

Edited by Nerdlove
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Nerdlove said:

I had a flash of insight when I was watching Raven and Raja's photo ruview just now. (They inexplicably picked the Charlie's boring dress as top toot of the week, but w/e.) I wasn't watching it maximized, and one of the thumbnails of related videos on the right side of the screen showed Valentina in her "hometown" look -- that balero thing she wore. Then Aja came up in the photo ruview, and I realized that basic silhouette was very similar between the two. Aja added a long coat, but the high waisted panty thing + chaps jujz she was going for? Almost the same. Then I was thinking about how Aja went after Valentina in Untucked. Maybe at some level, Aja was feeling like, "WAIT THEY LOVED THIS WHEN VALENTINA DID IT, BUT WHEN I DO IT, IT'S BAD? NO FAIR!!!" Hmmmm. But yeah, compare the two. (I got these screencaps from T-Lo, whose podcast is always a fun listen when Tom isn't being too mean to Lorenzo.)

Valentina Rupauls-Drag-Race-Season-9-Episode-1-VH1

Aja RuPaul-Drag-Race-Season-9-Episode-3-TV-R

Valentina's outfit made sense, the look was cohesive.  Aja look is just a hot mess head to toe.  Omg you're a bitter kitten too?!  I LIVE for TLo podcast!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Nerdlove said:

I had a flash of insight when I was watching Raven and Raja's photo ruview just now. (They inexplicably picked the Charlie's boring dress as top toot of the week, but w/e.) 

I'm curious as to when they film these because it sounded like they didn't know that it was a sewing challenge. Raven read Nina for her bodysuit fit which I thought looked great given how little time she had and how (I imagine) difficult that is to sew.

On 4/13/2017 at 2:56 PM, Dirtybubble said:

Valentina's outfit made sense, the look was cohesive.  Aja look is just a hot mess head to toe.  Omg you're a bitter kitten too?!  I LIVE for TLo podcast!

Oh, yeah, to be clear -- I think Aja looks terrible. I just think that she was, consciously or not, copying Valentina. That might be why it didn't work.

And yes, I've been reading T-Lo since back when they were Project Rungay! :)

These days, I think my favorite "after show" video review series is the Movie Bitches on Youtube. They're a girl/guy duo, which might be why there isn't quite as much misogyny as you sometimes get on such shows (wish it weren't the case, but this is a culture that uses misogynistic slurs as compliments  for men -- let's acknowledge that), and they're fun and cute and laugh a lot, but also have funny little insights. And they usually like who I like and hate who I hate, so, that makes us almost like friends, right? :) but I guess this is all straying wildly off the topic.

Edited by Nerdlove
  • Love 1