Type keyword(s) to search

The 13th Doctor: S/he ain't here yet.

• Start Topic

I was going to post this. I plan on being out, and now I have a reason to pay attention to tennis. When does the men's final usually start? They go up to five sets, so that's at least 2-3 hours, right? And any word about BBC America showing the announcement? I was "there" when Capaldi was introduced. Because I had no clue on British actors, my first reaction was that he looked like David Copperfield. It might have been the lights.

12 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I was going to post this. I plan on being out, and now I have a reason to pay attention to tennis. When does the men's final usually start? They go up to five sets, so that's at least 2-3 hours, right? And any word about BBC America showing the announcement? I was "there" when Capaldi was introduced. Because I had no clue on British actors, my first reaction was that he looked like David Copperfield. It might have been the lights.

It starts at 6am PT in the US. Matches can last as little as 90 minutes or up to 5 + hours, but around 3 hrs on average.

@catrox14: That's 9 a.m. Eastern time. I was planning on going to a library-based comic show in New Jersey on Sunday, and that's at least 45 minutes each way. I was thinking that BBCA would clear space for the announcement. I'll have to clear DVR space just to be safe.

4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

It starts at 6am PT in the US. Matches can last as little as 90 minutes or up to 5 + hours, but around 3 hrs on average.

But ASFAIK (and according to my TV schedule), the match isn't going to be shown on BBC America here; it's being broadcast on ABC & ESPN. I doubt those channels would be broadcasting BBC's announcement of the new Doctor.

Perhaps a live stream of the announcement, or maybe the announcement will be broadcast in the US on BBC America after the Wimbledon finals air on ABC/ESPN?

Just now, TwirlyGirly1 said:

But ASFAIK (and according to my TV schedule), the match isn't going to be shown on BBC America here; it's being broadcast on ABC & ESPN. I doubt those channels would be broadcasting BBC's announcement of the new Doctor.

Perhaps a live stream of the announcement, or maybe the announcement will be broadcast in the US on BBC America after the Wimbledon finals air on ABC/ESPN?

No it's not going to be on BBCA. I wasn't meaning to imply that it was. I guess I presumed folks knew it was on ESPN. It's airing tape delayed on ABC here in Southern California at Noon PT.

I'm guessing it will be on BBC America after the match is over. I'd be surprised if ABC/ESPN announced it unless they have some kind of arrangement?

• Love 1

Of course they would choose to make the announcement at a time that can't be predicted on a day when I have a one-year-old to sleep over and won't have the telly on!

I'm not making any predictions. I was going to say I don't care who it is, but that's probably not true - I will care when the announcement is made! But mostly I just hope they've made a good choice and it'll be a new Doctor we can all get behind and enjoy.

Apparently the tennis itself is being shown on ESPN starting at 9am EST.  so i guess people need to figure out how to keep their eyes on BBC at around the right time (noon east coast probably).  You have to imagine it will get online pretty quickly.

I would love for it to be Olivia Colman too.

But does it bother anyone else that they're making a big deal about "13" when, they won't really be the 13th Doctor since they messed up the regeneration with TenTwo and the War Doctor.  Or don't they count?

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/doctor-who-13th-doctor-announcement-1202496067/

Apparently it will be on BBCA.

3 minutes ago, LadyAmalthea said:

I would love for it to be Olivia Colman too.

But does it bother anyone else that they're making a big deal about "13" when, they won't really be the 13th Doctor since they messed up the regeneration with TenTwo and the War Doctor.  Or don't they count?

I think they think we aren't smart enough to count.

• Love 3

"Thirteenth actor to portray the Doctor without being inserted retroactively" works for me. Why did Eccleston not want to take part in the big special? I mean, John Hurt made a kickass (War) Doctor, but it messes up the numbering.

Thirteenth Doctor = cat brooch like Six, only black instead of white?

I can handwave it, it just kind of still annoys me that it happened at all.  But I don't think Eccleston not coming back had a lot to do with it, they could easily have used Paul McGann and no re-numbering required.  I think Moffat just wanted to be the one to write the end of the regeneration cycle - but given what he came up with I don't think it was worth the messing about.

• Love 2

So, today's Wimbledon ended at 10:30 or so. It was a short match, so I guess this announcement could come at anytime from about 10-2 tomorrow in the US eastern time. I guess I am watching Wimbledon tomorrow.

I am so excited! I don't care who it is really, my son wants someone younger, he was not a fan of Capaldi.

27 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Men's final begins at 2pm UK time and could last anything from 90 minutes to five hours - way to keep the announcement time vague, BBC!

For US viewers, it's even more of a problem because that tournament airs on ESPN which is wholely owned by Disney, who have no involvement with the ownership or management of BBC America. Have absolutely no idea how BBC America is going to handle this in their programming, and they've only relayed the BBC's teaser of the announcement.

Here's what I'm thinking . . . BBC airs Wimbledon for the UK, yes? I'm thinking they would air the men's final, do postgame stuff and awards, and then reveal the next Doctor. When that happens, BBC America would cut into their programming to broadcast it to us Yanks. My plan: DVR the two afternoon movies while I'm out. If you're home, flip between ESPN (since when?!?) and BBCA, and hope for the best.

19 minutes ago, DJG1122 said:

Just in case BBCAmericans don't get the announcement, would you BBCUKs post on here as soon as you know? Many thanks. 

I'm sure it will be all over the interweb the second it's announced!!!

(edited)

Haha yeah, I was seeing British friends saying things like "Oh no, I will have to have tea early" or "I may have to rearrange my trip to the shops" and I'm like dude, for Australians it's the middle of the night.

Not that I'll be staying up unless I get a bout of insomnia - I'm not THAT invested.

Edit: if it had been a specific time I might have got up - but 'After the men's final' is way too vague to waste hours of sleep.

Edited by pootlus
(edited)

I think, most likely we here in the states will find out via social media, as I don't see a thing on BBC America indicating they will broadcast the announcement. I really hope it's not that Jodie Whittaker from Broadchurch. It will take a lot of convincing for me to watch her as the doctor. 

Edited by cardigirl
(edited)

Wimbledon Final is over. Now they do the awards and interviews I guess. So it could be anytime now! I have changed the channel to BBCA and am currently watching Bear Grylls torture people.

Spoiler

Federer won again in case anyone is interested.

Spoiler for winner of Wimbledon

Edited by Arynm
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was really surprised to see the number of actresses that the media thought had "Doctor Who" potential, but maybe that's because Michelle Gomez got to be The Master during Capaldi's run. I'll be gobsmacked if they actually pick a woman to be The Doctor this time though. 

ETA: I'll also be disappointed and underwhelmed if it actually is Kris Marshall.

Edited by NeenerNeener

I had a feeling it was going to be a woman. Holy crap. I like that she’s not SUPER young either (she’s 35). I haven’t seen any of her other work but yeah, I’m jazzed.

• Love 2

Well that's 20 minutes or so of fruitlessly watching Bear Grylls that I'll never get back.  Thanks for nothing BBCA.

I only know her from Broadchurch where I found her irritating.  But, much happier it's her than Kris Marshall.

• Love 3

I have only seen her in the one episode of Black Mirror, but she was good. Now I need to watch Broadchurch to familiarize myself.

I am impressed this didn't leak out. Let watch the Doctor Who world explode

• Love 1
1 minute ago, TexasGal said:

Well that's 20 minutes or so of fruitlessly watching Bear Grylls that I'll never get back.  Thanks for nothing BBCA.

I only know her from Broadchurch where I found her irritating.  But, much happier it's her than Kris Marshall.

I'm going to have to watch her in something other than Broadchurch as a bit of a palatte cleanser to give her a fair shot, because I didn't care all that much for her character there. 

• Love 4

Had I known they were going with a member of the Broadchurch cast, I would have preferred Olivia Colman. That said, Jodie Whitaker was outstanding as well. This is gonna be really interesting.

• Love 5

I was all queued up to make a comment about them making the brave choice of picking another white man, and then they went and threw a curveball.

Also, the complaints, cries of "SJWs!" and general hurt manbabies came right on schedule.

• Love 2

Didn't they try this with Class? And that lasted one season.  Well, I guess we'll find out at Christmas what kind of Doctor she will be. Although it took 3 seasons for capaldi's doctor to firm up his character.

I feel slightly let down.

2 minutes ago, starri said:

Also, the complaints, cries of "SJWs!" and general hurt manbabies came right on schedule.

Sorry, what is SJW? 

"Social Justice Warrior," the invective that the Red Pill (a subreddit for knuckle-dragging white, straight, cisgendered men who don't like that other people sometimes have a say in how the world runs) throw at anyone who thinks that TV should occasionally show people who aren't white, straight, cisgendered men.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Occasional Hope said:

I don't mind it being a woman per se, but she's got too much mascara on. It just doesn't look right.

Maybe it's just the Doctor not yet knowing just how much makeup will look best for her, if any at all in the end :) She'll figure it out.

I was more shocked to see her with super blonde hair, since I am used to seeing her with brown hair in Broadchurch.

However she chooses to wear her hair, or do her makeup, I think she's a good actor.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, NeenerNeener said:

Was Class canceled?

Yes, although part of that was due to scheduling shenanigans with the BBC.

It was very popular on BBC America, and they were really pushing for another season.

Any new Doctor will always get the "you suck, aren't worthy of filling the previous actor's shoes, and are going to kill the show" from at least some of the audience although it will obviously be more vocal this time. 

In any case, I hope they kill any notion of romance between the Doctor and companions, regardless of the genders involved.

• Love 4