Type keyword(s) to search

The 13th Doctor: S/he ain't here yet.

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Well I love some crazy conspiracy but I'm afraid I'm too much of a realist here. It's not so much the scheduling issues that I think work against Darvill but more the simple fact that he's already on a sci-fi show playing a time traveler. They might not be in direct competition (like Marvel and DC) but there's still too much overlap.

Well, think of it as the longest, most detailed audtion tape ever. :)

• Love 3

I didn't see a category for this, so this one will have to do:

I saw a theory on facebook today that just makes so much sense.

The theory is this: When the Doctor DIDN'T kill Missy when he pulled that lever? He gave up all his regeneration energy to save her.  However comma: This death penalty is irrevocable and a Time Lord MUST DIE. Period. And if it ain't Missy? Then guess who? He's dying and has been since that point. He couldn't restore his sight with regeneration energy cause he didn't have any.  The theory further states that he's trying to turn Missy nice because once he's gone, she's literally all that's left and she has to take over. I noticed the TARDIS didn't reject Missy as an operator. I found that incredibly interesting. If Missy's "evil" and up to no good, the Tardis wouldn't let her in the door. She's going to protect her Doctor no matter what.

This person theorizes that Missy is just now at this point realizing what he's done - what saving her life may have cost him - thus keep asking "are you alright?" And she's going to somehow, some way, sacrifice herself, the ultimate sacrifice, no more regenerations, no more Master, no more Missy, to save the Doctor, and because she does, he doesn't die and immediately regenerates into 13. 

What say you all?

• Love 1

It's an interesting idea. But there is at least one flaw in the theory I can see.

2 hours ago, hnygrl said:

I noticed the TARDIS didn't reject Missy as an operator. I found that incredibly interesting. If Missy's "evil" and up to no good, the Tardis wouldn't let her in the door.

After the Master regenerated from Derek Jacobi to John Simm in Utopia he stole the TARDIS. And that guy was pretty evil. She may be picky but I'm not sure the TARDIS is in a position to refuse any Time Lord or Lady.

Still, the Doctor giving up his regenerations, knowing he was going to die, to save Missy, even though she is horrifically evil and has killed more people than even he can count sounds like something he would do.

Question is, can Moffat really be that clever?

• Love 2

The Master has operated the TARDIS a bunch of times, since way back in the 70s. The idea of it being picky about who drives it has only come up in the last couple of years and doesn't match past continuity.

We only a couple of years ago saw the Doctor come to the end of his regenerations and face the prospect of actual death, and granted that story was handled really badly, but it seems a bit soon to play the exact same concept all over again (although Moffat does love repetition), so no, I don't think he gave the Master his regenerative energy or sacrificed his own lives to save hers. Who even were those supposedly implacable galactic executors, anyway? We've never heard of them before, yet they are supposedly so powerful. I call plot device, and can't imagine we'll hear of them or their killing machine ever again.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, KirkB said:

Still, the Doctor giving up his regenerations, knowing he was going to die, to save 

Moffat is clever enough to get exactly that ^^^^ far, and no further.

• Love 2

That would really annoy me, especially since Moffat already pulled the "Surprise!  No more regenerations!" thing at the last minute, cheating us out of a portrayal of a Doctor who knew he was the last one.  If he were to skip over that story AGAIN?  I'm not saying he WOULDN'T do something like that, but it would piss me off.

• Love 1
On 6/11/2017 at 4:17 PM, NeenerNeener said:

Since the article went on to discuss how Moffett always picks male actors because they're the first thing that pops into his head, chances are very good that #13 is also male.

A male  actor doesn't necessarily mean a male Doctor.

• Love 1

I just don't think I can deal with the Doctor actually being played by anyone who's been the Master/Missy. If he were to regenerate into one of their bodies temporarily, if that's even possible, I don't think I can deal. Just can't.

• Love 2

Shouldn't an announcement have been made by now? I mean, I'm guessing the new person would be pressed into service in 2018, if not this Christmas.

Male? Female? Given the sheer number of British actors playing iconic American comic book characters these days, how 'bout an American playing the Doctor? On an unrelated note, where is the nearest fallout shelter?

• Love 1

I would love a female doctor, but since the bro-dudes would launch into their toxic mass destruction over it (see: Ghostbusters), let's have a Romana spin-off instead and give the Doctor a rest for a year or two (yes, I realise they've already committed to a series in 2018).

• Love 2

When the Dr was on the roof with Bill, he was talking about the Master and how he had once had a mancrush on him. Didn't he say this might have been when he was a woman and something about Time Lords being fluid with gender?(This may not have been exactly what he said, but that was how I interpreted it).  Maybe we are being prepared for a woman Dr. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'd have to go back and watch the scene again but I do seem to recall hearing words along the line of mancrush and fluidity. Which, if true, would mean both of them were men at the time, hence mancrush, otherwise it would just have been a crush. But I do think he was saying because they change faces and can change gender their view of sexuality is different.

It also occurs to me that Missy is simultaneously both the best and worst thing to happen to those of us hoping for a female Doctor. Because the earlier line about the Doctor's friend the Corsair having been a woman could have just been a joke, and that one Time Lord on Gallifrey regenerating into a Time Lady was a character we don't really know, but the Master is a big time, important figure in Dr. Who. So the Master regenerating into Missy settles once and for the issue, and proves it is in fact possible for the Doctor to regenerate into a woman. However, they've done it now. Because they've already changed Missy, I don't think Moffat, or if it's up to him the new guy, is going to want to just do the same thing again with the Doctor. Maybe somewhere down the line, but right now I believe it is pretty safe to say the Doctor will be male. My hope then, small as it is, is if they're not going to buck the over half a century trend of maleness, could they at least make him something other than a white guy?

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, DJG1122 said:

When the Dr was on the roof with Bill, he was talking about the Master and how he had once had a mancrush on him. Didn't he say this might have been when he was a woman and something about Time Lords being fluid with gender?(This may not have been exactly what he said, but that was how I interpreted it).  Maybe we are being prepared for a woman Dr. 

"I might have been a woman -- I don't remember"
then
Dr: "We progressed beyond your primitive bounds of gender stereotyping." (Or something like that)
Bill: "And yet, Time Lords..."
Dr: [shrug]

• Love 1

I think it would be amazing for Jack Harkness to return and be the 13th Doctor. He's already immortal, has TARDIS energy in him and well it's John Freaking Barrowman.

And if it's not Jack Harkness, then I'll take Idris Elba.

Or Tatiana Maslany

• Love 8

OMG Tatiana Maslany would be a brilliant Doctor. Though I'm biased because once Orphan Black ends I NEED her to be in something else I watch. If not the Doctor can she be his personality shifting, alien sidekick? She could be a different companion each week. lol

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

She could be a different companion each week.

It'd make more sense if TM were a new Doctor who was experiencing an issue in settling in with her new personality. You'd want that paired with at least one companion who'd take the zig-zagging in stride (like Nardole or Missy).

• Love 2

When is Capaldi's final episode? Tomorrow or on Christmas? I was thinking that we'd have a situation where the Doctor and Missy hug and regenerate together, and we end up with a bizarre-brained hybrid that might not be that good for the universe.

Does anybody else read Doctor Who Magazine? Years ago, somebody wrote an essay about the most Doctor-like performances. The top slot: Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. I don't remember the exact list, though. If it's updated, I'd recommend John Noble as Walter Bishop in Fringe. Astrid was a kinda/sorta companion, right? And Gene was K-9!

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, call me ishmael said:

They could just pick Maggie Smith.  No one would object and she would get nominated for an Emmy because she always does.

Or Judi Dench. I'd be down for either one!

honestly, I would love it if they picked one of the Grand Dame's of British acting. Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren. Every one of them are strong, smart, kick ass women. Of course it would send all the fanboys and fangirls who need their Doctor to be a cute young male into a tizzy, which would make it even more amusing for me. lol

• Love 3
On 6/3/2017 at 4:42 PM, LyleDelp said:

I want fun and serious at the same time. Which is why I vote for Stephen Mangan, if it's at all possible. See him in Dirk Gently, then see him in Houdini and Doyle. God he's good. And funny. And sexy. And smart.

Agree about Alex Kingston. She's the only woman I have no problem envisioning in the role. Don't see it happening, though, not with her being in so many eps in iconic role.

He would be fun.  He's excellent in Episodes on Showtime. 

On 7/6/2017 at 7:56 AM, Mabinogia said:

honestly, I would love it if they picked one of the Grand Dame's of British acting. Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren. Every one of them are strong, smart, kick ass women. Of course it would send all the fanboys and fangirls who need their Doctor to be a cute young male into a tizzy, which would make it even more amusing for me. lol

You left off Mrs Peel, you cad!

• Love 3

There's an actor named Jaime Murray? So funny. . . when Matt Smith got his gig, I instantly recalled a cast member from The Real World: New Orleans with the same name. And one of his roommates was Jamie (M-before-I) Murray.

10 hours ago, jhlipton said:

You left off Mrs Peel, you cad!

Diana Rigg!!!! How could I forget. I now hate myself and will go stand quietly in a corner and think about what I've done. She'd be great. And if they did go with a female Doctor I seem to prefer an older woman in the role. If they go with some pretty young thing I will stop watching. That goes for a male too. I don't want a Millenial Doctor. UGH

I don't care who the actor is, I just want a Doctor who is distinctly different from what has gone before. There is a lot of similarity between the Tenth, Eleventh and even Twelfth Doctors, in very many ways - manic, fast-talking, physically active, etc. There are obvious differences between them, as well, of course, but on the whole those differences aren't quite enough. They come across as variants on the same core personality, rather than distinctly different personalities - there isn't the very huge distinction you see between, for instance, the Second and Third Doctors, or the Fourth and Fifth. That's the kind of change I'd like to see now. Lose the manicness, lose the rapid-fire speech, lose all the dancing about. Give us a markedly different personality, to show the true range of regeneration.

• Love 3

I think Capaldi was a departure, and not just in age. You could hug Ten and Eleven. Twelve would set his screwdriver to "shiv" as you wrapped your arms around him. And then he looked like he was going through a midlife crisis with the Sonic Sunglasses and the guitar playing.  I think every third (recognized/not-retroactively-inserted) Doctor should be a grump with major issues.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I think Capaldi was a departure, and not just in age. You could hug Ten and Eleven. Twelve would set his screwdriver to "shiv" as you wrapped your arms around him. And then he looked like he was going through a midlife crisis with the Sonic Sunglasses and the guitar playing.  I think every third (recognized/not-retroactively-inserted) Doctor should be a grump with major issues.

Yes, as I said, there are differences - but there are also massive similarities. A lot of Twelve's speeches, especially in the beginning, could have been written for Eleven. He does the same manic fast-talking thing that both Eleven and Ten also did. He dances about in much the same way that Eleven did. And I could continue. Like I said, they come across as variants on the same theme, with the differences pasted on rather than integral to them. What I want to see next is a truly different personality.

1 hour ago, Llywela said:

Yes, as I said, there are differences - but there are also massive similarities. A lot of Twelve's speeches, especially in the beginning, could have been written for Eleven. He does the same manic fast-talking thing that both Eleven and Ten also did. He dances about in much the same way that Eleven did. And I could continue. Like I said, they come across as variants on the same theme, with the differences pasted on rather than integral to them. What I want to see next is a truly different personality.

Well they are all versions of Moffat's imagination.  Unfortunately, he seems that the way to be the "smartest guy in the room" is always to be talking so you distract people and then they don't realize what trick you have done.  It will be interesting to see if Twelve's time with One (12+1=13) slows down Twelve or speeds up One.  But it would be nice to have a Doctor who didn't think that if she stopped moving she would die.

• Love 3

I'm only familiar with New-Who and while the new Doctors did differ in some aspects they were all brainy, hyper-active and definitely very eager to prove they're the smartest person in the room (shades of Sherlock). Someone exuding more warmth, affable and even a bit mild-mannered would be a nice change. That could make the occasional outburst more menacing than having a someone on-screen who looks like s/he's constantly on edge. Been there - done that.

• Love 1
On 3/29/2017 at 0:32 AM, azshadowwalker said:

If it's an old dude, I just hope they avoid the ridiculous attempts to make him "cool" in stereotypical TV ways. 

I would like a woman, but I can only imagine how shitty the treatment of the actress would be. I don't want a real human being subjected to the things I believe she would encounter. 

They've already said it is not a woman. 

On 4/7/2017 at 11:10 AM, Mabinogia said:

I don't care what color/sex/whatever the doctor is, so long as the personality works well for the storylines they want to do but what I would hate to see is them make the Doctor a minority, racially or in gender, just to serve some PC agenda. Do it if it makes sense, or if the actor you get is so good that it warrants a change, but don't do it just to get media buzz.

I will say that personally I like the Doctor male and attractive because I'm a shallow female and like to ogle him and imagine myself as his companion travelling through time and space. Now, my version of attractive is rather broad. In order of hotness I'd go Tennant, Capaldi, Eccelston...that's it. Matt Smith is very unappealing to me though I know he's swoon-worthy to many. We each have our own tastes. I know mine are weird. haha

I get this. Smith,  I know is considered attractive but he isn't to me.  Part of it is he just looks like a child to me.  But, long faces aren't my thing either.

Mine goes Eccelston, his smile!, Tenant, and then Capaldi.

• Love 1

The frontrunner seems to be Kris Marshall. I started watching Death in Paradise so I could get a feel for him as an actor (just in case). He comes off as a cross between Tom Baker and Peter Davison. He's certainly different then Tennant and Smith.

2 hours ago, Lokiberry said:

The frontrunner seems to be Kris Marshall. I started watching Death in Paradise so I could get a feel for him as an actor (just in case). He comes off as a cross between Tom Baker and Peter Davison. He's certainly different then Tennant and Smith.

So he's the Watcher? #CouldNotResist #LowHangingFruit

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Lokiberry said:

The frontrunner seems to be Kris Marshall. 

I've read that, too, but I dunno . . . I know it'd take me a definite while to get past seeing him as Colin Frissel from Love Actually.

Edited by rur
  • Love 1

I liked him in Death in Paradise but i don't know about this.  He already played the slightly spaced out, goofy genius.  Do we need another one like that?  Of course i was never a fan of Davison so maybe i am just not eager to have a redo of that look.

I'd definitely like to see someone with a calmer energy - Russell Torvey comes to mind. He's already been on the show (didn't stop Capaldi) and of course he's on Quantico. Or just to freak everyone out: Iwan Rheon - also not going to happen since he's got a gig in the MCU.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I'd definitely like to see someone with a calmer energy

Thank you, that's pretty much what I was trying and failing to say. The last three Doctors in a row have all been very frenetic - in differing ways, perhaps, but frenetic nonetheless. I'd like to see a real contrast now.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Or just to freak everyone out: Iwan Rheon

I wouldn't hate that. I think he's a great actor and he would be a really intense Doctor. Less frantic, more slow burn. Honestly though, not to typecast, but I think he'd make a great Master if Missy were to regenerate.

On 7/10/2017 at 5:03 PM, ShawnaLanne said:

They've already said it is not a woman. 

You are responding to a months old comment (from March) , but the post was specifically about the treatment of actresses in these roles, so the reply doesn't even really address the post. 

• Love 2
On 7/11/2017 at 9:22 AM, Llywela said:
On 7/11/2017 at 8:24 AM, MissLucas said:

I'd definitely like to see someone with a calmer energy

Thank you, that's pretty much what I was trying and failing to say.

Not only did I understand what you were saying, I agree with you.  I also think a Doctor whose demeanor is less frenetic and more composed might garner a different level of respect from his companion.  

It must be a showrunner's dream (or nightmare!) to take the reins of an existing TV phenomenon and make it uniquely their own, honoring the past while looking forward to the future.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Not only did I understand what you were saying, I agree with you.  I also think a Doctor whose demeanor is less frenetic and more composed might garner a different level of respect from his companion.  

It must be a showrunner's dream (or nightmare!) to take the reins of an existing TV phenomenon and make it uniquely their own, honoring the past while looking forward to the future.

Well Moffat seems to think he has to redo the past rather than honoring it.

But yes, calmer would be good.  I realize that emoting all the time is more common now (compare all the angst ridden detectives compared to the 60s and 70s) but it would be nice if they decided to honor the past by actually being truer to the character while bringing him/her into a new set of issues.  It shouldn't be exhausting just to watch.  That is what the Gong Show is for.

• Love 2
On 7/12/2017 at 3:15 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I'd like them to announce they've convinced Christopher Eccleston to reprise his role, just to see how many people would do spit takes at one time.

Oh, how I would love this. Ten is my doctor, but Nine is thisclose in second place. He had a warmth and a... je ne sais quoi that none have had since. I'm guessing hell would have to freeze over first though.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Oh, how I would love this. Ten is my doctor, but Nine is thisclose in second place. He had a warmth and a... je ne sais quoi that none have had since. I'm guessing hell would have to freeze over first though.

I flip between 9 and 10, but 12 is right in there, but I did love Eccelston...he was just the right mix of warmth, weirdness, edge and angst. 

• Love 3