Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: The First Day of the Rest of Your Life

halgia
  • Start Topic

(edited)

The only thing good about this episode was Walker Sasha kicking ass and Shiva. Oh yeah and Carl being the smartest person in the bunch by acting as soon as he saw an opportunity.

Everything else was either stupid or snoozeworthy. 

I think this might be it for me. I was down to about 3-4 episodes watched this season, I think next I won't  watch at all. The show IMHO has gone as far as it can go. There's nothing compelling about it anymore. 

Edited by Enero
Edited to add comment about Carl
  • Love 20

Well that was.. a great waste of time.

Sasha died. Like we all've know she would for the last 3 eps. And after a whole season of Rick &Co. rounding up and talking a bunch of strangers into going to war, NOW Negan declares it's a war.  ???

What else was accomplished after ALL of this?

What was the purpose of this episode?

• Love 19
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Boofish said:

Put me down in the column for the win. I loved it and now I sit and wait for October. 

I'm happy everyone is alive and well for now - the tiger, man bun, bald black guy, Francine, Tobin, JERRY, kingdom chick who lost her sister, Rick, FPP, black hilltop chick who wanted to learn how to fact. My heart is full

Kingdom chick is Diane.

Hilltop BW is Bertie.

Bald Black Guy is Scott, played by Kenric Green.

Sonequa's husband.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 5

Rick never has a viable plan, but he has been known to rip the throat out of someone who has threatened Carl  Where has that Rick gone?

He was always good in a fight but now he is a neutered rabid dog.

Shiva stole his move. Lucky for him.

• Love 18
(edited)

Is there some significance to that toy soldier that Daryl found with the words "didn't know" on it?  Wonder who left it there.

Eugene, Jadis and Dwight are giant scumbags.  That is all.  

*Funny - auto correct changed scumbags to cymbals.  Giant cymbals... okay.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 11

It should have been awesome, yet it was somehow boring. There were moments I liked but overall it was just so "meh" for me. 

The Good:  Shiva!  Carol bringing it as usual, Ezekiel, Jerry and the rest of the Kingdom. Carl's quick thinking and the scene between Negan and Rick.

The Bad: Oh Lord Negan, enough monologuing! Eugene the Man in Black, the GPK and I still can't believe Helga Aryan got the drop on Michonne. 

• Love 19

I thought it was pretty good but I was wondering how Shiva knows who to kill. I also wondered if the good guys even knew who to shoot out after awhile. Rick was very close to losing Carol-hope he thinks about who to trust from now on. We all knew the Garbage people were up to no good. Still don't get their deal-Rick brought them a million guns what do they want from Negan? 

Glad most people are still alive and looking forward to battling on.

• Love 20
Just now, Macbeth said:

Rick never has a viable plan, but he has been known to rip the throat out of someone who has threatened Carl  Where has that Rick gone?

He was always good in a fight but now he is a neutered rabid dog.

Shiva stole his move. Lucky for him.

When Negan was kneeling down talking to Rick, I kept expecting Rick to rip his throat out with his teeth.  I figured if Sasha didn't get to rip Negan's face off, then Rick should get to kill him, or Carl in a sneak attack because once again Negan just drones on and on.  Instead Negan lives to talk everyone to death for another day.

• Love 20

The writing on this show has gotten so bad. And the acting is following in its footsteps. JDM simply cannot pull off Negan as menacing. He's more like a cartoon character. What bothers me the most is this idea that the fight is no longer with the walkers but with humans. Like how many people were shot and killed tonight? And really, who is there to root for anymore? No one is innocent. It's all tremendously meh to me.  Blah. 

• Love 23

Is Maggie's narration at the end a new speech or a callback to something she told Rick in the aftermath of Glenn's death.

Because it seemed entirely out of place considering the events of this episode.

• Love 15

Enid was next to Maggie in Alexandria. I'm not sure who was watching Judith.

I liked the episode. I actually liked the whole season for the most part. I also really want a tiger to go with my imaginary Targaryeon dragon.

• Love 15

I think having Maggie monologue the end of the season, to bookend Glenn's death at the start, would have worked a little more for me if I didn't feel like we've barely seen her.

• Love 8
Just now, EllenC said:

I think having Maggie monologue the end of the season, to bookend Glenn's death at the start, would have worked a little more for me if I didn't feel like we've barely seen her.

My thing is that it felt like she was explaining to Rick why she had come to join with them as if it was a big shock that she did.  Which it wasn't, so WTF?  

• Love 14
1 minute ago, ParadoxLost said:

My thing is that it felt like she was explaining to Rick why she had come to join with them as if it was a big shock that she did.  Which it wasn't, so WTF?  

I guess the Season of Monologues must end with one? And it wasn't going to be Daryl's.

• Love 8

So, who died other than Sasha?  Were they all redshirts?  When they were scanning the dead in Alexandria, I thought for sure Eric was one of them, but there he was at the Sasha funeral.  Apparently, his anvil missed him.  I thought for sure that Simon was gonna bite it, but I guess they're saving him for his groundbreaking meeting with Gregory?

I called it prior to tonight's episode.  Lots of blah blah blah... some gunfire, but no revelations on any unexpected 1st or 2nd tier character's dying.

CDB is getting real tired of your shit, Eugene!

• Love 8

I don't get why Dwight didn't try and kill Negan when all the gunfire started, if he was serious about hating him at the beginning. Why not just switch sides? Though I still think Darryl should have killed him at the start. He's useless, and an asshole.

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, double-elvis said:

The writing on this show has gotten so bad. And the acting is following in its footsteps. JDM simply cannot pull off Negan as menacing. He's more like a cartoon character. What bothers me the most is this idea that the fight is no longer with the walkers but with humans. Like how many people were shot and killed tonight? And really, who is there to root for anymore? No one is innocent. It's all tremendously meh to me.  Blah. 

What bothers me is that every time Negan talks I reflexively hit the mute button.  Its a Pavlovian response at this point and I don't like it.  I don't like listening to Negan more.   I can't say how many times I wished they just drop Negan to shut him up and let some other dimwit lead the saviors so I wouldn't have to listen to him anymore.

• Love 17

Damn, I'm so confused. I thought both Sasha and Maggie died and they were sitting on the fence enjoying the afterlife, waiting for Glen and Abraham to come bounding toward them in slow motion across the meadow.

So, okay, I was wrong, but there sure was a lot of slow motion in this episode.

• Love 9
(edited)

Admittedly, I haven't watched the last 3 or 4 episodes.  I didn't even bother bingeing today, which is what I usually do at the end of a season to catch up.  So I apologize in advance for my question, but I just don't have the heart, or the fortitude, to watch the previous 3-4 episodes.

What was Rick's genius plan?  Were they planning to ambush and/or blow up The Saviors when they came to Alexandria?  I just didn't get the sense of a full, fleshed-out plan. 

Ugh, where has my show gone?  I don't know what TWD is anymore.

Some of my favorite British shows have ended before their time, leaving me wanting more.  I wish TWD had done the same, 2 or 3 seasons ago.  :-(

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 7
(edited)

I tuned in after Homeland only to be subjected to Negan's unending talking. I just pressed the mute. I swear, his dialogue was 10 out of the 30 minutes. 

Then there was the ridiculousness of Shiva attacking the Savior. How is a tiger trained to know who is an enemy or a friend? Humans all look like prey to them ask Roy of Sigmund and Roy.

Sacha was a very attractive walker. Sonequa is simply too stunning for even make up to ugly her up. 

Maggie's voiceover about Glenn was such a bullshit. He deserved a better build up to his death.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 15
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Samsnee said:

When are people going to realize that Rick is a pretty shitty leader?

I really don't get why people continue to let him lead them to slaughter.

Damn, they were going to blow up Eugine, who got kidnapped over them.

When I saw Abraham, I knew Sasha was a goner. Dead person being brought back is never good, it screams "goodbye episode."

Tiger part with Kingdom and Hilltop coming in to save Rick's ass was great. 

Is Maggie still supposed to be pregnant? How far along she is, seems to be all over the place.

I liked Carl firing the first shot, he's better a leader than Rick.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 14

I hate, hate, hate the junkyard people. Seriously, not one of them can put together a complete sentence? Was that their trade deal with Negan? Their words so he could incessantly speechify? 

I wish we could have seen a prominent Savior die, and Jadis. She gets on my last nerve. 

Even with all the communities together, they seem hopelessly outmanned. Now with the junkyard people on Negan's side, they really are. 

Was Sasha's seen with Abraham real or a dream? 

Just never got the big payoff this season for all my patience. Bummer. 

2 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I really don't get why people continue to let him lead them to slaughter.

Damn, they were going to blow up Eugine, who got kidnapped over them.

When I saw Abraham, I knew Sasha was a goner. Dead person being brought back is never good, it screams "goodbye episode."

Tiger part with Kingdom and Hilltop coming in to save Rick's ass was great. 

Is Maggie still supposed to be pregnant? How far along she is, seems to be all over the place.

Oh man, don't even get me started with Maggie's pregnancy. Yes, she's pregnant and her hair is really growing out, which means enough time has passed that we should be seeing a decent bump by now. She has to be at least halfway. Those jeans should be really uncomfortable. 

• Love 18

I got confused at the end. Once Rick (mostly Carl, Rosita & Daryl) had regained control, the battle suddenly turned again. Next thing, all the Alexanderites were either shown dead or were...gone. Where did Daryl, FPP, Tobin go?  Next we see Negan with Rick and Carl, and the Saviors see clearly in charge. Once again, where was Daryl and everyone else?

But then the Hilltoppers and Zeke's group comes swarming in. Great, very cinematic. But how????? There's a wall around Alexandria. Did they "swarm" over the walls? Is there a backdoor that only friends know about?

• Love 8

Why have the person with the most laughable accent do the ending voiceover ? Can't they just make Maggie Ricks girlfriend and promote Michonne to leader of Hilltop?  Such a waste of what used to be a great character.  Stop trying to make Maggie happen, Gretchen Weiner. 

• Love 17

Fuck's sake, Rick - what did I say before? Dwight? Needed to be stripped, locked up and fed dog food. What does Rick do? Believes every word he says and trusts him. How can that man stay so naive? The best, most sensible person in that scene was Tara, telling Daryl to kill him and when Tara makes the most sense you know they're in trouble. Rick - what the fuck?

The writers on this show are kind of unclear on the concept of "momentum." Just when I did start to get tense, when something was going to happen, we get switched to Abraham talking about sand on his nutsack. Well, that certainly took me out of the moment.

But really, this is the most exciting ep I can remember, even though with that rag-tag army and attacking tiger, I couldn't help but expect a centaur, giant eagles and ogres next.

I was expecting Negan to bash Eugene's head in at the end. We got some actual suspense! (OH and I love my newly discovered CC and it's (Suspenseful music plays) I did enjoy Negan insulting the cryptic Diva, calling them "filthy garbage people." Oh, that bitch is plain cold as ice, even though she offered to give Rick a tumble later.

The Governor (a man 6'3" and outweighing her by a lot) couldn't beat up Michonne, but sh but nearly dies fighting one girl? Oh, well.

I must say, I got a bit sniffly at Sasha's demise. She died for nothing at all.

All the Negans, with all their guns, couldn't hit a 600lb tiger? That's quite a target. I did enjoy Negan's "WTF??" at the sight of her.

All in all, I did like this. If only the writers can learn where to stop the action and whisk us to some sappy scene with manipulative guitar strings being plucked in the background. This ep wasn't the right place.

• Love 14

Forgot to say, I thought they were going to kill Daryl at the end when he climbed up on the truck and stood there totally exposed. I kind of wondered if that was why they gave him a bath and washed his hair, so he'd look pretty for his funeral.

• Love 17

I'm gonna miss Sasha the sharpshooter. Glad that she killed herself over being killed by Negan or any of his stupid ass followers.

Miss I can't construct sentences Jadis telling Michonne that she gets to sleep with Rick. Michonne should have lopped her head off right then and there. I was hoping to see Michonne in battle with the sniper or taking out the katana and just slicing heads off but not yet. I was hoping she would be the one to save Carl & Rick, but Shiva is a great alternative.

Rick never trust a bitch that can't speak proper English.

I also find it hard to believe that Michonne would be losing in a fight as bad as she did. It's just not that believable. Not saying she can kick everyone's ass but just saying.

Eugene might go over after Rick decided to blow the truck up anyway with Eugene on it. Rick had to weigh his options to sacrifice one in order to get rid of the many.

Carl continues to show he's a badass by getting rid of three GPK and possibly more before getting caught.

Maggie's speech would hold a lot more water with me if she was actually shown a little bit more this season. Also where the hell is her pregnant belly? Is the budget that bad tht they can't afford a pregnant body suit?

Would have been nice to see a notable Savior member die like Arat, blonde girl who Eugene was with, long haired jackass that always bothered Richard, you know someone. We had notable members of The Kingdom & Alexandria die.

Tara WTF was stopping you from killing Dwight? Yelling at Daryl to do it, your ass could do it. Oh because you can't act. Imagine her killing Dwight? Would be the most unbelievable thing you ever seen.

Daryl once again being a jackass after hearing Dwight say he wasn't aiming for Denise. Dwight told Daryl this before on the day Denise was killed so why is Daryl acting all bothered by it now?

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Is it wrong that the character I was most worried about was Shiva?

This was an episode that really didn't need to be super sized. I think they might have had an hour of pretty good TV.

I almost posted the same thing regarding Shiva. I just really don't care who else dies. Tonight did have a couple of good scenes, but a couple of good scenes on a generally awful season isn't enough.

• Love 6