Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: Chapter Sixty

Part of me hates that Alba and Jane have this special bond because they both lost their husbands, but the other part of me is glad that Jane has someone who understands what she's going through.

I also thought it was very sweet that Rogelio admitted to Xiomara that he loved Michael and still misses him. #brogelio

I'm glad that we are seeing that Alba and Jane can make different decisions about sex and still be supportive of each other. LOVED that Jane and Xiomara reminded Alba about her flower advice.

I hope that Jane talked to Rafael and even Luisa before the book fair to let them know that she would be publicly admitting that the book was based on her life because that puts them a google search away from being identified as the characters in her book.

• Love 3

Why so few comments? Where's everyone?

For some reason I thought I'd really hate this episode, but I actually didn't. It would be even better if I found Fabian at least remotely attractive, but hey. Rogelio was a lot more relatable and less cartoonish than he'd been for a long time. It's great that they finally acknowledged how important Michael was for him, too. And there was the cat! I was becoming worried that they had forgotten about it. 

I still don't care about Alba and Jorge, but having tables turned against her with her on the receiving end of the flower preach was awesome. And so was the twins knowing that the douchebag is really Petra's boyfriend. 

Oh look, Bridget's back! I thought they'd switched actresses completely. I didn't actually mind Luisa and Rose that much this time, but I still insist they need to either fully integrate them or write them out. And most of all, just decide where you're going with them and stick to it. How many times has Luisa had to choose between Rose and her family now? 

This is silly, but it's bugged me for a while. Admittedly, I've been out of the loop with the world of telenovelas for years now, but do they really make shows like the last two Rogelio has starred in? "Passions of Santos" did look like it was based on something that could have actually been made, but the other ones just strike me as odd. 

Oh lord, the scene with Rogelio admitting how much he missed Michael and didn't want him to feel replaced (he didn't even want to get a mani because it reminded him of Michael!) by a new guy Jane is dating seriously made my eyes start to water. I wonder if we will get a flashback to Rogelio and everyone finding out about Michael? On the one hand, it seems like a great possible drama moment, but on the other hand, it just sounds so sad! I'm glad they remembered about #brogelio and their friendship.

On the other hand, I thought Rogelio handing over his pen to Jane to sign her first autograph, and how he was beaming with pride in her. I also thought the new guy was pretty likable, and he does have very impressive abs, but it would be a little weird if her first love interest after her beloved husband was a guy who was basically a younger version of her dad. Yeah she didn't meet Rogelio until she was in her 20s, but still.

• Love 2

Can anyone tell me who Fabian reminds me of? I realize that's incredibly vague. It keeps reaching the tip of my brain and then I lose it. It's someone similar on a TV show-dumb, but heart of gold (I think?!). Not Darren from The Middle. Maybe someone from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? That doesn't seem quite right either. Every now and then Fabian even sounded like him but I can't quite brain-grab it. I almost had it just then and lost it. Gah!

ETA: I think I figured it out! Jianyu from The Good Place.

I did like Rogelio admitting to missing Michael but I feel like Jane would actually really appreciate that if he told her.

8 hours ago, Joana said:

I didn't actually mind Luisa and Rose that much this time, but I still insist they need to either fully integrate them or write them out. And most of all, just decide where you're going with them and stick to it. How many times has Luisa had to choose between Rose and her family now? 

Yeah, I'm waiting for this to go....anywhere. And yet I fear I'll regret it when they finally do.

Edited by BookThief
I figured it out!
  • Love 3

I thought this episode was the most boring one I have watched yet. I feel like if we were to wait for 3 weeks for a new episode, it should have been more exciting than that. I know breaks in scheduling is not considered when writers write the episodes, but still...

I did find Jane lusting after Fabian to be funny, and I liked that Rogelio admitted to missing Michael. I could not care less about Rose an Luisa this time, and usually I like them. Petra, Raf, etc... Boring. Meh.

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but there it is. 

I enjoyed the episode, but it was definitely not the most exciting. Nothing really happened. It was suggested that things were going to happen--Jane hooking up with Fabian, Rose getting caught, Jane finding out that her whole book deal is something Rafael or Rogelio paid or coerced Dudebro Publisher to do (because that whole big PR team for a romance novel from an unknown, previously unpublished author? Plus that Dudebro Publisher is SO INTO IT? Sure...), Luisa and Rose splitting up, Rafael's PI getting caught bugging the place, showdown with Anezka--but none of that actually DID happen, at least not in this episode. But at least Jane has lots of Twitter followers now! Although you'd think being the daughter of a telenovela star would be enough to sell at least a few books and get on some of the lower-tier talk shows and put a few blurbs in magazines.

The main drama, to me, is that the police used Petra to snare Anezka and threw her in jail. So do they have evidence or suspicions that Anezka is the one who killed her husband? Why? Was he blackmailing her, too? Did he have enough money that it was worth it to her to kill him to take it? Something else?

I did laugh when Fabian said that without Rogelio, the show would just be Fab's fab abs, and the narrator said "I'd binge it."

I particularly liked Rogelio's confession to Xo about how much he missed Michael. 

I also liked Jane's conversation with Professor Donaldson and the reveal of her books in the closet. 

• Love 1
On 4/26/2017 at 7:12 PM, Bouffe said:

I thought this episode was the most boring one I have watched yet. I feel like if we were to wait for 3 weeks for a new episode, it should have been more exciting than that. I know breaks in scheduling is not considered when writers write the episodes, but still...

I did find Jane lusting after Fabian to be funny, and I liked that Rogelio admitted to missing Michael. I could not care less about Rose an Luisa this time, and usually I like them. Petra, Raf, etc... Boring. Meh.

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but there it is. 

Well, I couldn't even watch the episode, so you at least have a one up on me for that.

I only watched the part of Rogelio confessing that he still missed Michael, and I caught the beginning of the episode, but that's about it. I just had zero interest to watch the whole thing. Which really, really sucks, because I really want to like the show still, but it's a losing battle at the moment. 

On 4/25/2017 at 8:00 PM, BookThief said:

ETA: I think I figured it out! Jianyu from The Good Place.

I didn't even realize I was also having that experience, and you're totally right!

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode a lot except for two things: Rosa's ongoing existence and Rafael's apparent interest in Petra. Raf, you seriously deserve better. I don't care how much her character has been "redeemed", that doesn't mean he should settle for someone who's capable of what she's capable of.

Yes, please get someone interesting for Petra. I hate the guy from the other hotel, and Raf and Petra is so done.

I'm also less interested in this show, which used to be a "must see ASAP." Without Michael and his relationship with Jane and Rogelio, it just doesn't draw me in anymore.

Also hate the child. Reminds me of when my dad and I used to tape General Hospital and agreed to fast forward through any scene with a child in it.

No, I didn't get teary eyed when Rogelio admitted that he turned down mani-pedis with Fabian because he didn't want to replace Michael. No, I'm not lying. Shut up!

I like that Luisa seems to genuinely want to spend time with her niece and nephew.

• Love 1

I actually like the kid. I think he's funny. From time to time we can catch him side eyeing at the director or parent or whoever is encouraging him, but he's a natural. I like the girls, too.

I can't stand Chuck.

I continue to believe Petra and Rafael have the best chemistry on the show, and I don't care about Rafael at all outside of that. I find his and Jane's friendship a little forced - more about the actors than the characters. I don't think they carry the characters' history in the scenes - it's not as relaxed as the show tries to tell us it is, there's no flow.

JANE is getting on my nerves. Or maybe I'm not there yet - maybe just boring. What I think is showing is that Gina Rodriguez is a gazillion times more sophisticated, experienced, and maybe even more jaded than Jane, and I don't really believe it. I find it odd, because, with the time jump, they brought Jane closer to Gina Rodriguez's real age, so I'd have guessed it would be even more comfortable for her than playing the 23 year old. Instead I'm finding her sort of a bit going through the motions - adroitly - but not that invested. She's still decently inventive, but like an actress in a commercial.

Despite her enthusiastic advocacy for sexual fulfillment, I find Xio is now played closer to the actress's lower key personality, which is a good look on the character. It works. I still believe she's a go for it type, but I don't believe anymore that she's someone who would make out with the boyfriend of one of her daughter's friends at some party.