Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Marion

10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh god that scene where she burned the handyman haunted my dreams. Damn I'd forgotten all about that. 

I would definitely recommend reading the novel version of The Bad Seed. It is even more disturbing and gives so much more detail

• Love 1

I thought about it, but I think I'm fine with the twist. I do believe there's a double layer twist, not only with Sam getting killed instead, but Norman doing the deed. I have come to accept that the show is much different than the film. They're still following the same plot structure this season, but Norman here is not the same as film Norman. He shares different motivations, so him killing Sam Loomis makes more sense than Norman killing Marion, a woman he's just met and has not threatened any disturbance with Norman and his life. This Norman isn't the type to kill random people just for the fun. This Norman always has a purpose. So, in that sense, why would he kill Marion after knowing her for an hour? 

I would very much like if Marion does stay out of town. She doesn't need to get caught up in any more White Pine Bay stuff. Plus, she could easily come back and get killed and it would be nice to see her escape that. 

I did find Marion/Norman's dinner scene a little off, not just due to Rihanna's acting. I think the dialogue wasn't as strong. Whether they were trying to take most of the original dialogue and use it as inspiration (this does cause me to want to go back and rewatch Psycho; it's been a couple of years), it definitely wasn't as strong as it could have been. Her incredulous at Norman still living with his mother made me laugh, though, because film Norman might have been in his late twenties, but this Norman is barely 21.

I do love that Norman helped Marion, though, to get her agency back. I think the show has given Marion some more layers than her film counterpart, even with only being in two episodes. Plus, they had Sam Loomis become a total jerk who did deserve what came to him. 

My heart broke for Dylan when he found out Norma died. I think the fact that they left on a really bad note makes it a little worse. He won't ever get closure, and once he finds out about his dad, he's really going to lose it. I do love Dylan/Norman's phone conversation. I think it helped bring some clarity to Norman and his situation. For the first time, I bought that he might actually be breaking through his psyche and that he might become more aware of Norma's death and that it might stick, instead of him living back in denial. I also love that he confirmed that this Norma isn't his mother, but she is Mother. I think it's a good first step forward for him.

With this switch in canon, though, I realize that now they have the agency to end Norman's fate however they want.He can get arrested, he can get put in a mental institution for life, he can escape and start over elsewhere, or they can kill him off. The possibilities are endless, as long as it follows this show's canon.

I recently researched this episode and still am impressed. Both vera and Freddie were great. Even though this mother is not old and creepy she still managed to be eerie in this episode. The way she looks out the window at Norman as he is coming up the wet steps. And even though Marion got away you know mother wished she could have got her. And everything about Norman was still great. That shot when Marion was looking at the house and then we see first the shadow of Norman through the door window then him coming down the steps in the rainy dark was perfect. You could tell they wanted to make that iconic looking. That image of Norman from the movies standing on the steps in shadows is pretty well known and is usually the picture on DVD boxes. Anyway i still loved his interactions with Marion and you could tell she was thinking this guy is nice but something off about him. I wished though they could have had more of a talk about Mother in the office. I wanted to see how they could have done the she goes a little mad thing. You could tell he was drawing heavily off Anthony Perkins except he managed to come off even more awkward than Perkins version of  Norman.  What's interesting is that if they had gone the route of Mother killing Marion they would kind of had a good motif. Even though Marion was nice Mother and even Norman probably would have thought less of her after finding out she was the woman with Sam. On the other hand I hope we see Marion again. Just for a minute and her reaction after reading on the internet about Norman. Her mentioning to somebody she almost stayed at the motel and how the guy was nice but something creepy about him.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, peacheslatour said:

OMG right? That kid scared the hell out of me. What a soulless monster.  And her poor mother. Jeez.

God peachesaltour, stop making me buy stuff!

The "little nods to the movie" are one thing I love about this show! Anyone who hasn't seen the movie is missing a lot of gems!

• Love 1