Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: High Heat

1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Was there an episode where Sherlock broke up with his autistic girlfriend? I can't remember. He's obviously back to sexy funtimes with other women.

While it wasn't shown in explicit detail, the breakup occurred in the 6th episode of this season, "Ill Tidings."

I thought this was a nice throwback to the earlier seasons (minus Shinwell, thank heavens). I loved the bit with the bus bench that had Joan's face on it, even if it was a bit absurd he could have had that thing thrown together so quickly. I also laughed that he was conducting the splattering experiments in her bedroom. Like there's no other room in that whole house where he could have done that. It's these little interactions between Sherlock and Joan that are the heart of the show and I've been missing them.

• Love 2

I love snippy off-on-a-tangent Sherlock, especially with Joan.  When he found the NYOOPI stuff 10 minutes after find the stuff he Joan were trying to find (without bothering to tell Joan he'd found it), we get a great look at Lucy Lui's "are you fucking kidding me with this shit?" face.

I liked Dan Lauria and no Shinwell was a plus, but the case kinda sucked. The killer tosses the murder weapon into trash can in a panic, then returns to the scene with his coarch to get rid of the bodies. As they were loading the bodies into the car, it might have been a good idea to take a few seconds to retrieve the murder weapon with your fingerprints all over it. Which should have been important because I’m pretty sure the police are going to search all the trash cans and dumpsters in the immediate area for the murder weapon and bloody clothes on the first day, but nope I guess the cops were feeling too lazy that day.

The coach’s plan to confess to the crime was cuckoo for cocoa puffs. There are plenty of college pitchers who never make it to the majors and that’s without having their minds messed up after bloodily murdering two people. Or he could blow out his arm any time and then where would you be? Rotting in prison for nothing. At least make the coach a relative so it would be halfway believable.

9 hours ago, Rambler said:

The coach’s plan to confess to the crime was cuckoo for cocoa puffs. There are plenty of college pitchers who never make it to the majors and that’s without having their minds messed up after bloodily murdering two people. Or he could blow out his arm any time and then where would you be? Rotting in prison for nothing. At least make the coach a relative so it would be halfway believable.

It did not make any sense unless he simply wanted the kid out of prison out of the goodness of his heart. During the trial his motive for the murders would have become public knowledge anyway.

I've always loved Dan Lauria but I am worried about him here.  He is being portrayed as a reasonable person in a position of authority which in this show means he's probably a murderer.  Although, he is letting Sherlock dictate to him so he might be come out ok.

I know the NFL does them at the scouting combine, but I'm fairly certain every major sports league requires a predraft medical exam for precisely the reason in this episode. The idea that the murderer would have been able to hide the fact that he had a degenerative neurological disease is ridiculous. Even if he did, failing to disclose that probably would void his contract anyway.

5 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I know the NFL does them at the scouting combine, but I'm fairly certain every major sports league requires a predraft medical exam for precisely the reason in this episode. The idea that the murderer would have been able to hide the fact that he had a degenerative neurological disease is ridiculous. Even if he did, failing to disclose that probably would void his contract anyway.

It was more of a potential disease than anything else and probably would not show up in routine screening unless someone was specifically testing for it.  It doesn't seem like the father had it when he died.  At least the mother never mentioned it.  From what I can determine, the kid didn't seem to be aware of the possibility of the disease until the half-brother and PI came calling.  At that point the kid saw his baseball/riches dream evaporating and killed them to try to preserve it.

• Love 1

Also, teenage boys not always well known for thinking through all the logical implications of their actions.  Just saying he may not have thought beyond the immediate, and certainly not to the issue of clauses voiding his contract.

Former Met Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey lost a huge signing bonus after he was originally drafted. He had been a fireballer and was one of four or five pitchers for the Olympics. They appeared on a Baseball America cover and one of the Rangers' team doctors noticed the way  his pitching arm looked in the photo. As a result, they did tests on the arm and discovered he didn't have an ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow. There would have been no reason to do this test otherwise and it could have been years before it was discovered. He ended up becoming a knuckle ball pitcher and having a number of good seasons. So, I think the character's story line is plausible. RA Dickey's story

• Love 1