Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
thewhiteowl

S01.E14: Commander-In-Chief

Recommended Posts

Quote

Turmoil in an African country forces President Kirkman to rely on an unlikely ally for help, as Hannah's investigation into the Capitol bombing takes an unexpected turn. Meanwhile, Emily settles into her new role as chief of staff while Aaron has to make a difficult choice.

Share this post


Link to post

"An African country". I wonder if we're getting a real one or this show will do as The Blacklist: Redemption did and make one up. I'm betting on the latter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

24: Redemption - Jack was in the African country of "Sangala" helping Begbie protect and rehabilitate former child soldiers.... Maybe Cornelius Moss is a golfing buddy of the dictator democratically elected Sangalese President...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like someone found his inner Bauer!

All the 24 Presidents to choose from and they choose the least interesting one. But Moss is interesting. I love the damning  with faint praise thing he does. “You’re totally not qualified. But you are doing kind of a good job. You know, for someone who isn’t qualified.”

Where’s Kimble? 

Please burn those cardigans. 

Edited by marinw
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

FYI: the African country in this episode is Naruba...which does not exist in real life. So they made it up. Based on the episode clues- using Ethiopia and Djibouti as bases- Naruba replaces Eritrea on the map.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Loved the preview with the question "Whose running the country, the president or the 1st lady?"   Considering she told the former president why they didn't like his choice for interior, I am good with that question.

Really, slim pickings for cabinet posts?   Apparently they blew up everybody's ambition too.   You know people would be more than willing to serve even in an unknown presidency.   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Loved the preview with the question "Whose running the country, the president or the 1st lady?"   Considering she told the former president why they didn't like his choice for interior, I am good with that question.

Really, slim pickings for cabinet posts?   Apparently they blew up everybody's ambition too.   You know people would be more than willing to serve even in an unknown presidency.   

They are implying that they are scared.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Ashand11 said:

Damnit, why did Aaron have to go?

Oh, i don't think he's going far... ;-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Liked Geoff Pierson as President Cornelius Moss...perhaps it's a bit of a cliche to have a "fatherly Southerner who tells it like it is"...but Pierson was great in the role and, let's be honest, President Tom Kirkman could well, use some honesty.

Just tell me Adnan Canto didn't leave the show. No more Aaron Shore? Boo.

Felt the Naurba stuff was pointless, thrown in just so Kirkman could have a "win" (taking initiative and using his skills as an architect).

The real meat of the episode was the conspiracy stuff...Charles Langdon was riveting. Glad that Shore was finally exonerated, but that was some ride. I'm disappointed that despite all that- and seeing the Interrogator In Chief at work- Langdon gave us the runaround and we didn't really get anywhere tonight. Oh well...it's only March.

Episode Grade: B-. Kept my attention, I was entertained, and I'm still in for the rest of the season. I'm in.

7 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

It took me 1/2 the episode to realize they weren't saying 'Aruba'. 

You and me both.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The ep kept my attention.

So Kirkman was the least qualified as a 'designated survivor'. Whoever assumed that assumed incorrectly. And it's a woman. Chief of Staff? Kirkman's wife? Not the FBI agent who now has considerably more power and access to resources. Still not enough hints/meat about the conspiracy. By now, there should have been something. Not that newer cars can be hacked.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Ashand11 said:

Damnit, why did Aaron have to go?

"Work" for Kimble..."duties as assigned"

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

There is a CIA asset in Zimbabwe that can negotiate a deal....Is everyone in the CIA dead? Only old POTUS knows about him? CIA Director was too busy to attend White House briefing?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

It would have been fun if "Cornelius" was a woman and Hillary Clinton had a walk-on part.

In the flashback of Langdon's car getting hacked, I was silently yelling at him to put on the parking break, throw it into park, and pull the keys out of the ignition in whichever order you choose. But then I'm pretty old and fragile and have survived many potentially lethal situations with my super ninja reflexes.

ETA: FLOTUS seemed to super-enunciate that her Mother was Russian.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

"Of all places to set something like that, why on earth did they choose Aruba?!?" About half an hour later.... "oh wait. They aren't saying Aruba."

Kirkman got so pissy about the former president's assessment of him. Glad they worked together in the end.

His wife is seeing suspicious to me now, but I doubt it would be her.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA: FLOTUS seemed to super-enunciate that her Mother was Russian.

I noticed that. Since they mentioned the Russians at the end, I'm wondering if we're supposed to suspect th First Lady or her family. 

I'm a little suspicious of the former President. He seemed a bit too comfortable in the White House making phone calls and making food requests. I was surprised that they didn't make him VP. I wonder if he will be the political rival when Kirkman runs for reelection. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, deaja said:

"Of all places to set something like that, why on earth did they choose Aruba?!?" About half an hour later.... "oh wait. They aren't saying Aruba."

Kirkman got so pissy about the former president's assessment of him. Glad they worked together in the end.

His wife is seeing suspicious to me now, but I doubt it would be her.

Yes to all three. I believe the writers were thinking of Nairobi- the RL capital of Kenya- so they created "Naruba". Did they ever name the capital? I'm not sure they did.

As for FLOTUS- I hope she is not a baddie. It's so rare to see an actual on-screen couple show actual genuine affection for each other and the chemistry Natascha McElhone has with Kiefer Sutherland is off the charts. Just by the way her eyes and her face light up when she sees him and the tenderness of her hugs...that's real, folks. Pity to lose that.

Then again...it might make killing her off that much more dramatic. I'd probably cry too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I'm a little suspicious of the former President. He seemed a bit too comfortable in the White House making phone calls and making food requests. I was surprised that they didn't make him VP. I wonder if he will be the political rival when Kirkman runs for reelection. 

Me too.  I didn't like him and don't care for the addition of his character.  He treated the whole White House like he was still the sitting president.  Would they really make him privy to all the stuff that was supposed to be going on in Naruba?

They totally had me thinking that Aaron was leaving the show.  I'm glad he's not, but I liked it when he, Emily, and Seth worked as a team.  Now that's broken up and this annoying former president is going to be messing things up (maybe, that's just my opinion because I don't like him).  This episode just seemed kind of clunky and the only plot that really interests me, which is WTH is going on with this conspiracy, is not moving very fast.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Blue Plastic said:

Me too.  I didn't like him and don't care for the addition of his character.  He treated the whole White House like he was still the sitting president.  Would they really make him privy to all the stuff that was supposed to be going on in Naruba?

They totally had me thinking that Aaron was leaving the show.  I'm glad he's not, but I liked it when he, Emily, and Seth worked as a team.  Now that's broken up and this annoying former president is going to be messing things up (maybe, that's just my opinion because I don't like him).  This episode just seemed kind of clunky and the only plot that really interests me, which is WTH is going on with this conspiracy, is not moving very fast.

Ya I liked that dynamic between the three of them.  Also, I feel like naming a former president as his Sec. of State would sort of undermine his presidency.  I feel like the former president will have a hard time taking orders from someone.  Also, does the former president retain his security clearance forever? If not, he shouldn't have been allowed in that room.

1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

The ep kept my attention.

So Kirkman was the least qualified as a 'designated survivor'. Whoever assumed that assumed incorrectly. And it's a woman. Chief of Staff? Kirkman's wife? Not the FBI agent who now has considerably more power and access to resources. Still not enough hints/meat about the conspiracy. By now, there should have been something. Not that newer cars can be hacked.

They were referring to the woman who took Atwoods son. They don't know whether the person who actually made the call was a man or a woman.  Doesnt Tom know who he got the call from? Or did they call Emily and she called him? And if so doesnt she know who called her?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Argh!  Another car "hacked" by badguys who seem to be able to do anything they like with the vehicle.  

Next, they'll hack your bidet, turn on the hot water, and scald your bung-hole!

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I wish Aaron had gotten to be angry and quit. Instead he was a martyr that quit for Kirkman, when Emily thought he was shady and turned on them. 

The first lady is getting on my nerves, she's acting like she's the one who should be deciding cabinet seats. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I feel so sad for Aaron.  He was a really good Press Sec and Emily will not be able to do this role.  She isn't forceful and cunning enough for the position. I also feel kind of let down that he and Emily only got that one kiss before she got suspicious of him.

Edited by Ashand11
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Random thoughts:

Seth giving Emily a Kevlar vest as a present was funny, but maybe in poor taste after the assassination attempt.

Kirkman wants to aviod collatoral damage, but I can't think of any urban bridge that is ever completly deviod of traffic. So those drones must have killed somebody. (It looked like that strike took place in the daytime for that country)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

It took me 1/2 the episode to realize they weren't saying 'Aruba'. 

TV Guide still thinks it's Aruba:

"This time, Aruba -- as made famous by The Beach Boys' "Kokomo" -- was under siege by a rogue warlord, and Tom had to make the tough decision to save the hundreds of thousands of natives or 15 Americans taken hostage by the bad guys. With a tag in from Moss, the two figured out how to help both by releasing some funds the government held that belonged to the smugglers in exchange for the Americans and Kirkman put that Housing and Urban Development education to work by blowing up a few bridges to stop the warlord's advance into the main city. Aruba is saved, for now, but traffic might be a bit of a pain in the butt. Also, Kirkman kind of broke a rule by negotiating with terrorists, which could come back to haunt him."

http://www.tvguide.com/news/designated-survivor-commander-in-chief-recap/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Somebody please send a screen grab of Kirkman opening the file folder clearly marked NARUBA to TV Guide....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Ashand11 said:

Also, does the former president retain his security clearance forever? If not, he shouldn't have been allowed in that room.

For reasons that shall not be mentioned, I recently had to check on this.   Presidents do retain security clearance and get security briefings for life.   Apparently, in case of disaster that takes out the government, they can offer advice to the new president.    In other words, IRL, they have planned for this show.  On the other hand, the Kirkmans are pretty security unconscious.   They just natter on right and left about everything.   Remember Tom had to be told his wife didn't have clearance to hear about the McLeish thing.    Part of their "fish out of water" charm.

I took the question of "who made the call" as not who called Tom, but who made the decision that told the former Chief of Staff that Tom should be the DS.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Tom is human. Noble: "I want to hear the truth." Hears truth. Peeved. LOL. 

Russian mom? Raised from a babe to be a spy? 

Where exactly is this stone bridge that one can drive through the wall, lie on the side of the river, nobody notices either for hours, but one can still see Congress? Rural enough that the bridge wasn't used for hours - urban enough to be within minutes of the Capitol buildings. I remember as a kid driving across a bridge and noticing a new hole in the railing. I looked for the car that made it. I doubt I was the only one.

How the frak did the president think Aaron could do his job after what he went through? Trust is a major part of the job. If you actually suspected he was part of the conspiracy to destroy the government, you side-lined him and were okay with him being hauled in for questioning, why would you think he'd be comfortable returning to the job? He knows you don't trust him. Once the press got wind of it, Aaron is too good at his job to continue at it knowing it would harm the presidency and become a distraction. Tom can be terribly naive. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Ashand11 said:

Ya I liked that dynamic between the three of them.  Also, I feel like naming a former president as his Sec. of State would sort of undermine his presidency.  I feel like the former president will have a hard time taking orders from someone.

I thought that was a strategic move. Keep him around to give advice when necessary and maintain a facade of collegiality and unity for the country, but give him a job that can keep him away from the White House while he's not president. Kinda like a former president did with a rival. 

Quote

 Also, does the former president retain his security clearance forever? If not, he shouldn't have been allowed in that room.

Security clearance or not, it made me uncomfortable to see him there. IMO, It would have been appropriate for the show to insert a line about why he was allowed in the room. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, kili said:

How the frak did the president think Aaron could do his job after what he went through? Trust is a major part of the job. If you actually suspected he was part of the conspiracy to destroy the government, you side-lined him and were okay with him being hauled in for questioning, why would you think he'd be comfortable returning to the job? He knows you don't trust him. Once the press got wind of it, Aaron is too good at his job to continue at it knowing it would harm the presidency and become a distraction. Tom can be terribly naive.

Exactly. Even without the external scandal, how can Kirkman expect Aaron to go back to work for him after that? I wouldn't be able to work for a boss who I knew didn't trust me and I'm not the freakin' Chief of Staff. I think Aaron was hurt and angry (rightfully so), but he was too professional to show that and tried to end things amicably. Kirkman is right about one thing, he did let Aaron down. At least he looked like he was going to cry after.

I know Emily wanted to be Chief of Staff from the beginning but I would have liked to see more sympathy from Emily. Aaron was her (close) friend, after all.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, kili said:

Tom is human. Noble: "I want to hear the truth." Hears truth. Peeved. LOL. 

That's why Kiefer slays me everey time. He is just so...human.

10 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

As for FLOTUS- I hope she is not a baddie. It's so rare to see an actual on-screen couple show actual genuine affection for each other and the chemistry Natascha McElhone has with Kiefer Sutherland is off the charts. Just by the way her eyes and her face light up when she sees him and the tenderness of her hugs...that's real, folks. Pity to lose that.

Natascha McElhone is beautiful. I like her with Kiefer too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I cringed at the return of the self-righteous case of the week.

I cringed at the return of Alex. Well, there will always be another helicopter when she commutes.

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA: FLOTUS seemed to super-enunciate that her Mother was Russian.

Could they make it any more obvious? Let me guess, that's why he was the designated survivor. It wasn't the butler who did it, it was Grandma!

I must say that no matter how much of a pompous self-entitled asshole ex-POTUS initially was, I was kind of rolling at my eyes at Kirkman instead in the end. He looked like a little chastised sullen boy and then complained to mommy his wife because someone called him on doing a crappy job. What did he want, a hug or a gold star for trying? Seriously. He's reminded he's failing at a job where millions count on him, and he nurses his ego instead of feeling terrible for those people?  It wasn't quite coherent with his personality so far. But it wasn't a good episode for Kirkman, at least in my eyes. He's uncompromising and harsh with Langdon, who might be a miserable idiot but is a cornered rat at this point, yet he lets the powerful ex-POTUS walk all over him (just like he let the governors). It left me with the unpleasant impression that he'd only kick a man on the ground. And then he's back to Carebear City when dealing with Aaron.

I don't like ex-POTUS, although I'm glad that he and Kirkman came to an understanding and the show didn't for the cliché I feared last week. At least not yet.

No Kimble, and Emily was weirdly unfeeling. Boo.

Now the good. 1) Hannah is officially Jack Bauer. Yay!  2) There were some actual answers in the conspiracy and for once I did like everything surrounding it. The actor who plays Langdon nailed it. 3) Aaron. He's like Prince Charming of Washington, so I'm starting to worry because he's kind of too good to be true. He's a realist, but loyal to the person he's supposed to serve and places the interest of the administration/the people before his own. I still think he's set up to change sides at least temporarily, although ironically I feel he's more likely to be revealed as a traitor as a "shocking twist" now that he isn't shaddy anymore. Anyway, I hope he won't be killed off. I thought he might truly be gone in this episode, and I realized he's become my main reason to watch. 4) Aaron and Seth friendship. Seth has his bro's back. Aaron doesn't want Seth to know too much for his sake (but he tells him so). Aww.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Loved the preview with the question "Whose running the country, the president or the 1st lady?"   Considering she told the former president why they didn't like his choice for interior, I am good with that question.

Really, slim pickings for cabinet posts?   Apparently they blew up everybody's ambition too.   You know people would be more than willing to serve even in an unknown presidency.   

I was thinking that with the open VP slot that  surely there had to be a big city mayor or ex governor, etc not selected as a temporary US Senator  jumping at the bit to be first in line at the next party primary season.

The President did catch himself with his off the books personal Special Agent appointment "ANY MEANS NECESSARY,,, within the Constitution of the United States"

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

It took me 1/2 the episode to realize they weren't saying 'Aruba'. 

It took me until right now, reading this thread. hangs head in shame

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I understand the idea that Kirkman needed a thicker skin when ex-POTUS told him what he was doing wrong, but one thing I didn't get about that conversation was the criticism about the "only lead" guy being killed instead of apprehended. That seemed to be one of ex-POTUS's biggest criticisms and yet I don't see how that could possibly be on Kirkman. Kirkman didn't want that. The VP made the call and the only reason he had the authority to make the call was because Kirkman was shot and was in surgery trying not to die. 

5 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

It took me until right now, reading this thread. hangs head in shame

No shame necessary. It was completely stupid and lazy on the part of the writers to create a name that was basically a real country, but not. The only reason I started listening more closely to figure out what they were really saying is that they were clearly talking about Africa, plus the episode description said Africa, and Aruba is not in Africa. 

I will say that I was relieved to discover they were actually saying "Naruba". I was 1/2 afraid the writers were dumb enough to think Aruba was in Africa or that they assumed the audience wouldn't notice that Aruba isn't in Africa.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, waving feather said:

Exactly. Even without the external scandal, how can Kirkman expect Aaron to go back to work for him after that? I wouldn't be able to work for a boss who I knew didn't trust me and I'm not the freakin' Chief of Staff. I think Aaron was hurt and angry (rightfully so), but he was too professional to show that and tried to end things amicably. Kirkman is right about one thing, he did let Aaron down. At least he looked like he was going to cry after.

I disagree with this.  There was a pretty big clue pointing to Aaron (the e-mail) and this was a conspiracy that obviously went deep and was entrenched in the government.  Much as I like Aaron, I think it would have been negligent not to thoroughly investigate it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

No shame necessary. It was completely stupid and lazy on the part of the writers to create a name that was basically a real country, but not. The only reason I started listening more closely to figure out what they were really saying is that they were clearly talking about Africa, plus the episode description said Africa, and Aruba is not in Africa.

That's how I figured it out too. Knowing Aruba is in the Caribbean helped considerably. It's still a double facepalm though- considering all the RL Aruba has gone through with regards to Natalee Holloway, this story would only feel like the Arubans were being "piled on".

I believe they were going for a take on Nairobi, the actual capital of the very real Kenya, or a take on the also very real Namibia, or a phonological portmanteau of both. I understand why shows create countries- to avoid backlash from people in the actual countries- but it can be jarring on a "real world" show. I'd also much better appreciate a writer that reads up about actual issues and conflicts in Africa instead of creating ones out of whole cloth.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kili said:

Where exactly is this stone bridge that one can drive through the wall, lie on the side of the river, nobody notices either for hours, but one can still see Congress? Rural enough that the bridge wasn't used for hours - urban enough to be within minutes of the Capitol buildings. I remember as a kid driving across a bridge and noticing a new hole in the railing. I looked for the car that made it. I doubt I was the only one.

Rock Creek Park?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

It begs the question. Did Aaron secure the job with Kimble before or after he resigned? Just how noble was his resignation?

I guess I'm the only person here who doesn't really give a fig about him. He was a leftover from the previous admin and from day one he should have only been there to transition Emily or someone else to the job. IMO he was Kirkman's first mistake.

Just my opinion, folks.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

I cringed at the return of Alex. Well, there will always be another helicopter when she commutes.

Alex brings new meaning to the term "Helicopter Mom."

2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Kirkman didn't want that. The VP made the call and the only reason he had the authority to make the call was because Kirkman was shot and was in surgery trying not to die. 

Kirkman realizes that the buck stops with him, and takes responsibility for what goes on in his administration whether he is in surgery or not. But I did hope Moss would acknowledge that poor Kirkman had just been freaking shot and cut him the appreciate amount of slack

Edited by marinw
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The only reason I started listening more closely to figure out what they were really saying is that they were clearly talking about Africa, plus the episode description said Africa, and Aruba is not in Africa.

I never read any episode description and never heard any references to Africa, as I was doing something else while watching, so I just kept hearing 'Aruba.' and when I'd glance up at the TV, I wondered why the landscape didn't look like Aruba at all! Perhaps I should actually pay attention...

Although I sure did hear Alex say her mother is Russian! Let's see what, if anything, comes of that remark.

I'm glad Hannah was absolved of any illegalities or the like, and that she now has full power to pretty much do whatever she wants. I wonder if she'll try to enlist her former boss to help her.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, deaja said:

 

His wife is seeing suspicious to me now, but I doubt it would be her.

I've been suspicious of her since the pilot and posted a few weeks ago about it. I think the cliffhanger will be her reveal. No way did McElhone agree to play the role without knowing ahead of time that Alex was far more complex than the way she's been written so far.

Edited by TimWil
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

This episode had some good moments but overall it was not as good as last week.

I didn't care for Kirkman in this episode. He quickly reverted to the naive, insecure person we saw in the first few episodes. That's getting old. Kirkman is not stupid and has been in office long enough to know that he needs to project strength and confidence at all times even if he is not feeling it. He let Moss take charge and walk all over him. At their initial meeting in the oval office he sat down in the corner of the couch like he was an awestruck visitor and let Moss lean on the desk like it was still his. He then brought out the tough guy posturing with an already beaten down Langdon, when it wasn't really necessary.

The first scene to introduce the story line showed the cover page of a report with the country name "Naruba" in big letters on it. Everyone pronounced the name with an "N" at the beginning throughout the episode. I don't know what more they could have done to indicate it was a fictitious country.

I'm not liking Hannah being officially promoted to the lone cop with carte blanche to be reckless and take unnecessary risks. That's such a tired cliche. That also means Forestell will be sidelined. Reed Diamond is a solid actor. I'd like to see more of him as the boss leading the investigation, not a loose-cannon field agent.

I don't recall seeing Maggie Q in anything else but I'm not impressed with her in this show. The acting is passable, but her over-botoxed face is really distracting. She's not a good enough actor to overcome the handicap of having a frozen mask for a face. She is 37 years old. It's ok to look her age and the character would be more believable if she looked her age with a face that showed some life experience.

Edited by orza
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, orza said:

He then brought out the tough guy posturing with an already beaten down Langdon, when it wasn't really necessary

I don't think it was posturing as much as legitimate, understandable anger at someone who played a role in killing 1000 people.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, kili said:

 

Where exactly is this stone bridge that one can drive through the wall, lie on the side of the river, nobody notices either for hours, but one can still see Congress? Rural enough that the bridge wasn't used for hours - urban enough to be within minutes of the Capitol buildings. I remember as a kid driving across a bridge and noticing a new hole in the railing. I looked for the car that made it. I doubt I was the only one.

 

This was my question too. They implied the car went into the Potomac. At 8 or 9 pm (since it happened right before the explosion and that is with the SOTU address usually takes place) there would be people crossing the bridges into and out of DC. Even in the very unlikely event that he went over the edge during the few minutes no one was on the bridge,  the bridge had a big hole in it. It would have been noticed very quickly. It would have prompted a major investigation being so close to the time of the Capital bombing since if it wasn't a car, it could have been a bomb that didn't fully detonate. There is always a concern the bridges into DC will be bombed, cutting off significant exits from the city.  

2 hours ago, deaja said:

I disagree with this.  There was a pretty big clue pointing to Aaron (the e-mail) and this was a conspiracy that obviously went deep and was entrenched in the government.  Much as I like Aaron, I think it would have been negligent not to thoroughly investigate it.

I agree. I don't mind that Aaron is upset and doesn't want to continue his job. I can see that. But they had a legitimate reason to investigate him. He can't really deny that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Kirkman realizes that the buck stops with him, and takes responsibility for what goes on in his administration whether he is in surgery or not. But I did hope Moss would acknowledge that poor Kirkman had just been freaking shot and cut him the appreciate amount of slack

Moss did sort of acknowledge the situation Kirkman was in (no experience), but Moss does not appear to be an "Everybody-Gets-a Trophy" kind of guy. Kirkman asked for the honest truth - "how am I doing". Moss gave him the honest truth - "not so good". Why varnish that? Kirkman is doing well all things considered, but as a president, he's just okay (in Moss's opinion). Kirkman has been too reactive and too cap in hand (like how he sat on the edge of the couch as if he didn't really belong there and let Moss control the room and the conversations). If he wants to be a good President, he has to become a good leader. He has to become the Commander. He has to take the initiative. If this is his best, he's doomed to just being an OK President.

I like Moss and I don't like Moss. Moss is the kind of guy that thinks his way is the best way and everybody else just needs to learn it. I was strongly suspecting that he was somehow part of the conspiracy. That they stuck a lame duck like Kirkman in office and would be able to manipulate him as a puppet. But, his honesty is helpful to Kirkman too. Kirkman doesn't need the ex-President to prop him up with false praise - his family is there to buck up his spirits. He doesn't need "yes" men. He needs good advice.

I'm glad the diplomacy worked out this time. I was expecting that those aid workers were going to end up dead in front of the TV camera while the insurgents ran off gleefully with the money the US government had freed up for them  - just like the Russian coach spy thing all over again - making Kirkman look naïve and weak. I'm not sure easing sanctions on a corrupt/fascist dictator so that money can be freed up for brutal insurgents to have and then blowing up valuable civil infrastructure is really for the greater good. Plus, the insurgents may be trapped on one side of the river for 3 days, but I'm pretty sure they can cause some mayhem during those three days and end up in the capital anyway.  It's a good thing I'm not president because I'm not sure that is the deal I would have brokered. I see lots of wins for Zimbabwe and the insurgents, and few wins for the rest of the planet.

It should be easy to figure out who called the Kirkman household and told him he is the designated survivor. Just pull the LUDs (everything I learned, I learned on L&O). Plus, doesn't Kirkman know who told him? Does he just accept random  calls from burner phones telling him he's the Designated Survivor? Who assigned Mike to pick him up and drive him to the safe house? Ask Langford who was the original designated survivor (surely, that's not decided a few hours before the meeting).  I bet Emily told him meaning Emily and Mike are in on it....at this point, I'm even suspicious of his daughter. She was drawing horses last week and the next day she is riding them....it's like she KNEW! LOL.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×