Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: Commander-In-Chief

• Start Topic

Seriously, people can hack cars? is that even possible?

They just bombed Congress and killed a thousand people. Of course, they can hack your car. :-)

IOT - Internet of Things. More and more household and personal items are being connected to the internet including cars. Anything that is on the internet can be hacked by a determined enough conspiracy. There are articles out there about cars being hacked (Wired, Fortune), but Scientific American would like you to know that is under highly controlled circumstances (the hackers had access to the car - but then cars are easy to get access to). Cars increasingly have elements that are drive-by-wire (controlled via computers rather than mechanical controls). So theoretically, there are parts of the car that hackers could take over.

I thought it was a nice touch that Langford was driving an older model car when he turned himself in. He wanted a car he could still control and hackers could not.

• Love 6

Good to see Geoff Pierson.

On the security clearance question, all former presidents are offered continued high-level briefings, George HW Bush reportedly has always received them, I guess so he can offer advice. So Moss likely was cleared and up to date on these matters.

Since Kirkman was having a hard time getting cabinet members, I think getting a former POTUS to agree to serve as SOS is a big deal. He's obviously qualified, respected by world leaders and others may join now that Kirkman swayed a big name to come on board.

I hope Moss is just a guy who loves his country and wants to help out. He could be very helpful.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Scootman said:

I hope Moss is just a guy who loves his country and wants to help out. He could be very helpful.

I hope so but I doubt it. They made of point of saying he's only served one term. The only reason for the show to point that out is if the long term plan is for him to challenge Kirkman for the presidency. Whether he was part of the plot or Is just taking advantage of the situation to get himself back in and make a power play I'm not certain. But I don't think his intent is altruistic. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, kili said:

Cars increasingly have elements that are drive-by-wire (controlled via computers rather than mechanical controls). So theoretically, there are parts of the car that hackers could take over.

But as far as I know, there is no vehicle on the road with steer-by-wire.  There is supposed to be a steer-by-wire Infiniti coming out, but...

And who is going to buy a vehicle with steer-by-wire, brake-by-wire, throttle-by-wire, all accessible by any wanker on the internet?  Not me.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, deaja said:

I don't think it was posturing as much as legitimate, understandable anger at someone who played a role in killing 1000 people.

It is also a personal betrayal - Kirkman admired Richmond and Langdon essentially doomed Richmond by letting himself be compromised by "Mysterious Unidentified Woman"....

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Liked Geoff Pierson as President Cornelius Moss...perhaps it's a bit of a cliche to have a "fatherly Southerner who tells it like it is"...but Pierson was great in the role and, let's be honest, President Tom Kirkman could well, use some honesty.

Just tell me Adnan Canto didn't leave the show. No more Aaron Shore? Boo.

Agreed on both counts.

Geoff Pierson is glorious. Excellent pick for a former POTUS (and a new Secretary of State). He has that "friendly but intimidating" vibe which was necessary, but also that confident charm. He's everything Kirkman isn't, but then Kirkman has a few tricks up his own sleeve (and Kiefer played off of him extremely well). Great casting. I agree with some of the other commenters, that he was acting a little too familiar in the White House, with the whiskey and the food orders, but I'd like to think he would have never behaved that way if Kirkman were an elected President. I think Moss would have shown the appropriate respect, in that case. In this case, Kirkman has to earn Moss's respect, because he did not earn the vote of the American people. By the end of the episode, it seems that Kirkman manages to rise in Moss's estimation.

And I, too, hope we see Aaron again, and soon. I liked the twist on his resignation. That he did it to protect Kirkman. Although you could see he was upset, I think the writers did well to show him as more self-sacrificing than resentful. The Aaron/Kirkman scene was very well-acted. Kudos. Same for the Seth and Aaron moments.

That said, I have to assume that Aaron is 100% guilty now, since he's been officially cleared.

19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA: FLOTUS seemed to super-enunciate that her Mother was Russian.

I know! But I'm sure that's a total coincidence. The POTUS has a Russian mother-in-law. No big deal.

8 hours ago, kili said:

Tom is human. Noble: "I want to hear the truth." Hears truth. Peeved. LOL.

Ha! I loved that. Kiefer is consistently fantastic.

As for things I didn't love: the entire "Naruba" subplot was boring as hell. They didn't sell it well enough, and it put me to sleep. It wasn't worth it, just to get that "oh, Kirkman is smart!" moment at the end. Too dull.

I love that Hannah now answers to no one (except Kirkman, who did make sure to mention the US Constitution. The writers of Hawaii Five-0 and their "total immunity" need to take notes.). She's a total badass and I can't wait to see what she does next. I assume she'll bring Jason Atwood back, which is fine by me.

Also, Maggie Q's hair needs an Emmy.

3 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

Seriously, people can hack cars? is that even possible?

Clearly you haven't seen the trailer for Fast & Furious 8.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Biggie B said:

I never read any episode description and never heard any references to Africa, as I was doing something else while watching, so I just kept hearing 'Aruba.' and when I'd glance up at the TV, I wondered why the landscape didn't look like Aruba at all! Perhaps I should actually pay attention. . . .

. . . I'm glad Hannah was absolved of any illegalities or the like, and that she now has full power to pretty much do whatever she wants. I wonder if she'll try to enlist her former boss to help her.

That would be great, as far as I'm concerned, because I'm a fan of his acting.

Since I always watch with captioning on, I had no problem with the imaginary country of Naruba, but after reading all the comments here, I think someone with the show should have changed it to Nairuba.

I thought the swaggering one-term ex-prez hurting Kirkman's feelings was realistic and also a nice set up for POTUS K firmly taking back the reins by giving the order to bomb the infrastructure — which gave the B plot a raison d'être. My virtual horror that there would undoubtedly be civilians on those structures will have to be shelved next to the shudders of my fellow posters since there was no time for a warning-leaflet drop.

• Love 3

Why couldn't Kirkman just say that some members of his staff are being questioned in relation to the McLeish murder since they have been around them recently. Just tell the press that he was being questioned about the events inside the room when McLeish ordered the shooter to be killed.  That isnt even entirely false.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

giving the order to bomb the infrastructure

If real world precedent applies, Kirkman will be paying to rebuild said infrastructure...Bill Clinton bombed bridges in Serbia while Milosevic was still in power to protect Bosnia...The US eventually paid reparations to Serbia....Maybe Season 2 will show Kirkman dealing with corruption and waste in foreign aid projects.

• Love 1

Wolf Blitzer: Earlier today, the DEA seized a large quantity of Ecstasy, Oxycontin and Marijuana in the woods around Camp David...Stay tuned to CNN for a White House press briefing in the next 15 minutes....

Edited by paigow
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, paigow said:

DEA seized a large quantity of Ecstasy, Oxycontin and Marijuana in the woods around Camp David

In a related story, there are some very stoned horses wandering aroung Maryland.

• Love 3

And the squirrels, Ohmygod.  They're everywhere.  Dropping pine cones out of the trees onto the Secret Service cars..

Sorry, TVGuide, you should have done your homework.  Aruba is a grand total of 20 miles from end to end, making it highly unlikely that a rebel force would take a few days to reach the capitol.  Think before you write.

Somebody from the State Department should haul those NGO volunteers into a room and yell at them about how their actions almost got themselves killed and caused this rebel tyrant to get his hands on millions of dollars to continue his reign of terror.  Even if they made Pres. Kirkman look good.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think someone with the show should have changed it to Nairuba.

Agreed. I thought of using "Kilimanjaro" or something along those lines- since Kenya was the inspiration- but "Nairuba" works better.

Also, another point- I believe the map they used was of the border between the Central African Republic and Cameroon. Which would be weird because that's the Niger River and it's nowhere near where Naruba was (likely in RL Eritrea).

• Love 2

Naruba? Seriously? That's the name of a Jedi Banker. And I'm a little tired of these fake African countries in turmoil. Can we just make up the name of a US state that is having some sort of secession issue instead? Like Wiscshiretexia? Or Florisota? 

I'm on Team Hookstraten. She's the only one who can take the reins from these amateurs. How did Tom even get his cabinet position? Idealism is awesome on a college campus but brings only ulcers and pink slips in DC. Or so I've heard. 

• Love 4

Another reason I like the former president stepping up is Kirkman is so inexperienced and now his chief of staff is new to the White House too.  He desperately needs some experience surrounding him.  A former president is a good choice (assuming he's not a terrorist or whatever).

Not speaking to the way it was written in this show in particular, but in point of fact none of the computer controls on automobiles have any security on them.  Combine that with internet access, say something like OnStar for a convenient handle that most people are familiar with, and theoretically there is a way into many of the computer systems of a car.  Hubby is working on a master's degree in cyber security, currently spending time on studying lack of security measures on many computers in daily life, with the last few weeks focused on reading exclusively about what is known about hacking into automobile systems in particular.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, beeble said:

Naruba? Seriously? That's the name of a Jedi Banker. And I'm a little tired of these fake African countries in turmoil.

I get why they do it- to avoid offending the real country in question- but I do agree. I'd rather they take the time and research places like Botswana, Central Africa, the Congos, Burundi, vNamibia, etc. and do an episode that deals with their actual problems.

At least as long as we have a presumably real life show.

1 hour ago, beeble said:

Can we just make up the name of a US state that is having some sort of secession issue instead? Like Wiscshiretexia? Or Florisota?

How about "Lincennedy", a place of nostalgic idealists that pine for its past way too much.

• Love 2

People said that Mrs. Kirkman was too bold in asking Moss about one of his candidates.  Did nobody see the next shot where Kirkman winks at her?  He clearly planned ahead of time to have HER ask the question instead of HIM doing it.  That's not her over-stepping, that's prior planning.

• Love 4

Have to say I'm impressed with the progress we saw on rebuilding the Capitol considering there has only been a Congress to authorize and fund the project for a few months in apparent show time. (Though I suspect they were just using an image from the recently completed dome restoration work, which involved the same scaffolding we saw in that shot.)

• Love 2
On 3/29/2017 at 11:15 PM, Danielg342 said:

Felt the Naurba stuff was pointless, thrown in just so Kirkman could have a "win" (taking initiative and using his skills as an architect).

Also so Kirkman could play Great White Savior.  The warlord was Eeeeeeeeeeeevil!!!  And the leader of Not-Aruba was totally non-corrupt.  And of course none of Not-Aruba's neighbors would get involved (even though they had refugees pouring in). 
Sledgehammer time.

On 3/29/2017 at 11:56 PM, Danielg342 said:

Did they ever name the capital? I'm not sure they did.

Somi or Soli or something like that.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Of course none of Not-Aruba's neighbors would get involved (even though they had refugees pouring in).

I don't even know what they were. Context suggests Ethiopia and Djibouti, placing it in southern Eritrea. Which is an odd place for your "stereotypical African country" since that area is Muslim majority.

44 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

I don't even know what they were. Context suggests Ethiopia and Djibouti, placing it in southern Eritrea. Which is an odd place for your "stereotypical African country" since that area is Muslim majority.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil warlord suggests Rwanda (especially the mention of "genocide" since it didn't sound like the rebels were of a different ethnic group than the people in the capital).

• Love 1
(edited)

The Aruba/Naruba confusion is why I always watch with the closed-captioning turned on. And "Madam Secretary" always uses real countries' names -- why can't this show?

I feel so sad for Aaron.  He was a really good Press Sec and Emily will not be able to do this role.

Aaron was the Chief of Staff, not the Press Secretary. Seth is the Press Secretary.

Edited by J-Man
  • Love 1

The Nikita fan pretty much loved every interaction between Hannah and Langdon in this episode.  Maggie Q and Peter Outerbridge facing off one another is always a treat!  Plus, I love that Langdon's downfall was getting involved with a woman he shouldn't, which is something good old Ari could relate to, to say the least!  Curious to see if this is it for him or not.  At least they got some information: mainly that Kirkman was actually the attended designated survivor this entire time.  I wonder how he got selected by the evil conspiracy group?

Geoff Pierson was a pretty good choice as Moss.  To answer my question from last week, it seemed like he was a combination of Bill Clinton's charm (or smarm, maybe) and George W. Bush's folksy attitude.  Looks like he's sticking around, since he's being made Secretary of State, which I guess a former President is able to do.  Not exactly an expert on that, but I did remember Barack Obama's name being thrown around for Supreme Court, until.... certain events made that be next to impossible.  Hopefully Moss will be on the up and up, and remain an ally, even a tough one.  He seem sincerely happy over Kirkman's decision at the end.  Although, I did think Kirkman was overreacting a bit, because I didn't think Moss was that harsh.  He even admitted that he thought Kirkman did good with the hand he was dealt, but still admitted he screwed some stuff up.  It could have been much worse.

Poor Aaron.  I don't blame him for wanting to leave, even if I think he is being truthful that he is doing this because of the blowback Kirkman would face over everyone knowing he was interrogated.  I get playing it safe, but Kirkman really could have handled this better.  I'm sure he'll still be involved going forward, but this will probably be a big blow for the administration.  Emily is intelligent and I think she'll grow into the role, but I think there are certain aspects that Aaron excels at, that she wont' be able to bring to the table, and it could cost Kirkman.

Tonight in things that make me go "Hmm...": the way they focused on Alex saying that her mother was from Russia.  Something is going on, here.

At least Seth got to take a break from getting hassled by the press corp for this episode!

• Love 2

Everyone sorry to see Aaron go.  The same Aaron who leaked classified secrets at a time when the country was (or should have been) under martial law.  The same Aaron who, as far as I'm concerned, should have been stood up against a wall and shot.

Hmmm.

9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Looks like he's sticking around, since he's being made Secretary of State, which I guess a former President is able to do.

It hasn't been done in awhile, but Warren Harding nominated one of his predecessors,  William H. Taft, as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court, after his term as President.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

It hasn't been done in awhile, but Warren Harding nominated one of his predecessors,  William H. Taft, as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court, after his term as President.

Replying in the real world thread...

On 3/29/2017 at 10:13 PM, Netfoot said:

Next, they'll hack your bidet, turn on the hot water, and scald your bung-hole!

If I'd have been drinking water, I'd have spit it out laughing at this. Thanks for that image. :D

On 3/29/2017 at 11:50 PM, deaja said:

"Of all places to set something like that, why on earth did they choose Aruba?!?" About half an hour later.... "oh wait. They aren't saying Aruba."

Kirkman got so pissy about the former president's assessment of him. Glad they worked together in the end.

His wife is seeing suspicious to me now, but I doubt it would be her.

Yeah, I didn't realize it wasn't Aruba until I read your comment.  I glaze over on some of the details in this show, obviously!

On 31/3/2017 at 10:19 PM, TAG42481 said:

People said that Mrs. Kirkman was too bold in asking Moss about one of his candidates.  Did nobody see the next shot where Kirkman winks at her?  He clearly planned ahead of time to have HER ask the question instead of HIM doing it.  That's not her over-stepping, that's prior planning.

I like that take. At the time, I thought Kirkman was just proud because his wife is on top of things, but in retrospect I think you're right. We know (and Kirkman knows) Alex is well-informed, so that shouldn't be a surprise to him. Kirkman's wink could totally suggest they planned it. Maybe it was a way to sweeten the pill, to question Moss and his choices (one of them, at least) without offending him.

• Love 1

Didn't Aaron tell Kirkman in person that he was the DS? It was during the same conversation where he said that POTUS was going to ask Kirkman to take a diplomatic position in Montreal.

And I too agree that POTUS and FLOTUS planned to double team ex-POTUS all along. She was being all sweet and charming to throw him off, and then came at him with the question about the Commerce (or EPA) secretary choice.

1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

Didn't Aaron tell Kirkman in person that he was the DS? It was during the same conversation where he said that POTUS was going to ask Kirkman to take a diplomatic position in Montreal.

No, Kirkman got a call after that telling him that he was the DS (and, apparently, he didn't know what that was....)

People at Wired Magazine proved to the Jeep Corp that they could hack a Jeep via remote hacking.  That caused a massive recall of Jeeps.  Two guys hacked into a Jeep's system and disabled it on I64, while it was moving on the Interstate.  Chrysler changed things so that cars cannot be remotely attacked again, but hackers said it's only a matter of time before they figure out how to override the changes they made.  

On ‎30‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 6:20 AM, Frozendiva said:

So Kirkman was the least qualified as a 'designated survivor'. Whoever assumed that assumed incorrectly.

It was a correct assumation as ex-POTUS said.

In addition, Kirkman trusted MacLeish because he offered him total support - just the thing that should have made him supicious. 

On ‎30‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 6:56 AM, Danielg342 said:

As for FLOTUS- I hope she is not a baddie. It's so rare to see an actual on-screen couple show actual genuine affection for each other and the chemistry Natascha McElhone has with Kiefer Sutherland is off the charts. Just by the way her eyes and her face light up when she sees him and the tenderness of her hugs...that's real, folks. Pity to lose that.

I don't see it. To me, their marriage is gloss photo, not real relationship: too much pretty words, too little action that always tells the truth. And they only hug, but never kiss, and there is no hint that they make love.

In the Danish serie Borgen, the female Prime Minister had an ideal marriage: passion, sense of humor, shared ideals, equality in career. And I admire how the screenwriter succeeded plausibly to destroy their marriage in ten episodes because of the pressures of her job.

On ‎30‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 1:08 PM, marinw said:

Kirkman wants to aviod collatoral damage, but I can't think of any urban bridge that is ever completly deviod of traffic. So those drones must have killed somebody. (It looked like that strike took place in the daytime for that country)

Yes, but they are foreigners, so they don't count. As we learned from ex-POTUS, 15 Americans means more than the lives of 100 000 foreigners. 

On ‎30‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 6:46 PM, deaja said:

I disagree with this.  There was a pretty big clue pointing to Aaron (the e-mail) and this was a conspiracy that obviously went deep and was entrenched in the government.  Much as I like Aaron, I think it would have been negligent not to thoroughly investigate it.

I agree. Aaron had to be investigated, and Kirkman couldn't possible know beforehand whetjer he was guilty or innocent.

On ‎30‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 7:33 PM, Ina123 said:

I guess I'm the only person here who doesn't really give a fig about him. He was a leftover from the previous admin and from day one he should have only been there to transition Emily or someone else to the job. IMO he was Kirkman's first mistake.

Normally I would agree, but under the circumstances Emily wasn't qualified to the job. Kirkman neady somevody who wasn't idealistic, unlike him, Alex and Emily.

On ‎31‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 1:40 AM, Princess Lucky said:

And I, too, hope we see Aaron again, and soon. I liked the twist on his resignation. That he did it to protect Kirkman. Although you could see he was upset, I think the writers did well to show him as more self-sacrificing than resentful. The Aaron/Kirkman scene was very well-acted. Kudos. Same for the Seth and Aaron moments.

Yes, Aaron really can see things in broader perspective.

On ‎1‎.‎4‎.‎2017 at 9:48 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Plus, I love that Langdon's downfall was getting involved with a woman he shouldn't,

The old honey trap. Langdon should have told everything once he began to suspect that something was amiss.

Somebody knew the color of his tie? Was it such a big secret that niobody couldn't se it on the road to White House. Or id he change it in his office?  

It seems odd that the conspiracy has so few members that the same woman must seduce Landon and threat the FBI boss.

• Love 1
(edited)

Why did Hannah rush to the church, even before secure all doors? That way many would know in the knew something suspicious was on. It would be much more practical to wait on each door and then lead Aaron and Langdon away in a way that wouldn't rise suspicons ("Excuse, sir, but you are urgently needed"?)  

If Hannah is the chief of the investigation, she really can't be one who rushed in the action. Delegate, Miss Agent!

I can't help but laugh at Kirkman's agony when he has to decide about life and death. The quy know nothing about how tough decisions can really be.

I just read how in WW2, in order to stop the fatal breakthrough, less than a hundred men of different units were collected: cooks, messengers, drivers, and schoolboys who were supposed to use only as guards. They kept the enemy tip in place and a half hours. That was enough. During that time, troops were detached from elsewhere and imported in front of a plug.

Edited by Roseanna
3 hours ago, Roseanna said:

As we learned from ex-POTUS, 15 Americans means more than the lives of 100 000 foreigners.

The gas for their 5.7 liter V8 engines means more than the lives of 100 000 foreigners.

34 minutes ago, Roseanna said:

I just read how in WW2, in order to stop the fatal breakthrough, less than a hundred men of different units were collected: cooks, messengers, drivers, and schoolboys who were supposed to use only as guards. They kept the enemy tip in place and a half hours. That was enough. During that time, troops were detached from elsewhere and imported in front of a plug.

Do you know off-hand which engagement this was?

On 3/30/2017 at 11:33 AM, Ina123 said:

It begs the question. Did Aaron secure the job with Kimble before or after he resigned? Just how noble was his resignation?

OK, I seriously just watched this episode, finished it not even a half hour ago.  And I watched without multi-tasking!!  Someone please tell me when/how we found out Aaron has a job with Kimble.

On 3/30/2017 at 0:45 PM, orza said:

I don't recall seeing Maggie Q in anything else but I'm not impressed with her in this show. The acting is passable, but her over-botoxed face is really distracting. 

I haven't seen her in anything else either, and I don't care for the way she's filmed - it always seems to be intended to show how allegedly gorgeous she is, with perfectly coiffed hair blowing in the wind, nice slo-mo walks in her spike heels, etc. 

The "conspiracy" group is reminding me of what I always struggled with in 24-a large group who apparently all hate America, and who have every skill imaginable.  They know how to bomb secure buildings, order a secret room to be built in said building, set up a kidnapping scheme, arrange for a designated survivor, use the honey-pot lure, get information from the police, plan a presidential assassination, and hack a car. It's just too much.

13 hours ago, Roseanna said:

12 hours ago, Netfoot said:

The gas for their 5.7 liter V8 engines means more than the lives of 100 000 foreigners.

"Schoolboys" suggest a Soviet or German unit. Unless they meant those with educational deferments recalled from college and sent up to the front as US replacements after the Battle of The Bulge.

1 hour ago, MaryPatShelby said:

OK, I seriously just watched this episode, finished it not even a half hour ago.  And I watched without multi-tasking!!  Someone please tell me when/how we found out Aaron has a job with Kimble.

From the promos for the following episode (which just aired tonight).

14 hours ago, secnarf said:

From the promos for the following episode (which just aired tonight).

Ah, ok thanks! I thought that previews counted as spoilers, as I was chastised on another show's forum for referring to a preview, so I didn't even think of that tidbit being there. (I don't care one way or another about preview "spoilers" myself.)

(edited)
On ‎5‎.‎4‎.‎2017 at 4:12 PM, Netfoot said:

During the Winter War, when Mannerheim line was broken on February 1940. Because the Red Army could be halted from long enough, the Finnish army could retreat to the next defensive line.      

On ‎6‎.‎4‎.‎2017 at 4:59 AM, Raja said:

"Schoolboys" suggest a Soviet or German unit. Unless they meant those with educational deferments recalled from college and sent up to the front as US replacements after the Battle of The Bulge.

A good guess.

Those Finnish boys were from the border town Viipuri, near Mannerheim line. They had been members of boys department of the voluntary military organization but were meant to be used only for assistance roles. Even so, there were offers f.ex. in antiaircraft units.   

What I meant is that great nations (and especially the USA) can never meet such total dangers are small ones (unless it isn't about the destruction of the whole world). 

These kind of series are OK to me so long they don't try to be anything but fairytales they basically are.      

Edited by Roseanna
  • Love 1