Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: The Battles, Part 3

Vyk
  • Start Topic

From TV Guide:

The coaches enlist music industry heavyweights Luke Bryan, Celine Dion, DJ Khaled, and John Legend to prepare the artists to move forward to the Knockouts.

This one will be two hours long.

• Love 1

I give Gwen a hard time but her telling her artist (Stephanie?) to just sing without all of her little quirks was a great piece of advice. Immediate improvement. I still preferred Caroline so I'm glad Blake scooped her up.

I feel like Alicia picked the winner of her first battle knowing the figure skater would get stolen. It's a sweet move but I also seem to remember her doing the same thing in the past and it weakened her team.

• Love 4

If I were a coach I would put my strong singers against the weaker ones to weed them out.  I always hate to see good singers get eliminated because the other coaches are "looking for specific types of singers."

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Mark Isaiah (defeated Gaby Borromeo)
Josh West (defeated Nala Price)*
Johnny Hayes (defeated Julien Martinez)
Malik Davage (defeated Kawan DeBose)
Hanna Eyre (defeated Sheena Brook)*

Autumn Turner (stolen from Team Alicia)

(Still Waiting)
Jesse Larson
Taylor Alexander

Team Gwen
JChosen (defeated Kenny P)
Johnny Gates (defeated Sammie Zonana)
Aaliyah Rose (defeated Savannah Leighton)*
Stephanie Rice (defeated Caroline Sky)
Troy Ramey (defeated Jozy Bernadette)*

Brennley Brown (stolen from Team Blake)
Hunter Plake (stolen from Team Alicia)

(Still Waiting)
Brandon Royal
Davina Leone

Team Alicia
Anatalia Villaranda (defeated Missy Robertson)
Quizz Swanigan (defeated Felicia Temple)
Chris Blue (defeated R.J. Collins)
Vanessa Ferguson (defeated Autumn Turner)
Jack Cassidy (defeated Hunter Plake)

Ashley Levin (stolen from Team Blake)
Dawson Coyle (stolen from Team Blake)

(Still Waiting)
Lilli Passero
Lauryn Judd

Team Blake
Lauren Duski (defeated Brennley Brown)
Casi Joy (defeated Ashley Levin)
Andrea Thomas (defeated Micah Tryba)*
Aliyah Moulden (defeated Dawson Coyle)
TSoul (defeated Josh Hoyer)
Enid Ortiz (defeated Valerie Ponzio)*

Felicia Temple (stolen from Team Alicia)
Caroline Sky (stolen from Team Gwen)

Names in bold indicate artists who've newly battled and stayed on their teams or been stolen by another coach.  An asterisk indicates that this artist was montaged.

• Love 4

So Alicia is filling the Christina slot of coaching to over-sing, over-emote, abandon subtlety andbelt it out (last week) and soooo much melisima.

For the second week, I think the problem is Alicia's coaching.  (I would never choose someone like Vanessa who turns "word' into "we -eee-eee-eerd")  And I hated the overwrought ending she coached them to do on "Killing Me Softly". Ugh.

• Love 1

Johnny gave me so much secondhand embarrassment that I had to fast forward. He looked like a maniac up there. It was way over the top. 

I can safely say that Adam has the worst team so far.

And what has up with Malik vs. Kawan's battle? Adam had so many passive aggressive comments about attitude, ability to collaborate, etc before picking Malik that it made me think that Kawan had some kind of diva antics backstage. 

2 minutes ago, Padma said:

So Alicia is filling the Christina slot of coaching to over-sing, over-emote, abandon subtlety andbelt it out (last week) and soooo much melisima.

For the second week, I think the problem is Alicia's coaching.  (I would never choose someone like Vanessa who turns "word' into "we -eee-eee-eerd")  And I hated the overwrought ending she coached them to do on "Killing Me Softly". Ugh.

I actually think it sounded good when Alicia showed them how to do the ending but they couldn't pull it off and it became way too much.

• Love 4

To me the most interesting thing about this episode by far is just how negatively both Adam and John Legend responded to Kawan and Malik's battle. I'm racking my brain trying to remember another battle preparation that was so universally panned (even the performance with the band!) than this one. It makes me wonder though, if they showed it (instead of montaging it) because they felt like they needed to justify dropping Kawan since I would've ranked him at least in the Top 8 or so Blind Auditions for the season. pivot's thought about some backstage drama with him might hit pretty close to home.

In the montages, Blake gave us one minor surprise. I didn't see him advancing Enid out of the battles, I thought she was someone just on his team to make up the numbers. Gwen keeping Troy was zero surprise and Adam keeping Hannah over the country singer from the beach bar that he picked up last wasn't much of a surprise either.

**Breaking News** Some of the montages, are up on Youtube in full. Even the ones from last Monday. End of PSA.

Felt most bad for Josh on Blake's team. Don't get me wrong, I like TSoul too and totally get Blake keeping him (as his only male contestant left). I just really enjoyed Josh, I always have a soft spot for the career show dogs who get this shot so late in their careers....I was hoping he could've picked up a steal and kept the ride going at least one more week.

Autumn and Vanessa were fine on the song that will until the end of time only be associated with Lauryn Hill. Vanessa gave off a bit of an entitled/arrogant vibe that wasn't particularly becoming though. When the Josh/TSoul battle didn't end in a steal, I was pretty confident this one would...

Johnny and Julien. Julien was always fodder. But all this performance did was make me think back to great rock performances on the Voice by the likes of Terry, Juliet, hell even Manny Cabo was pretty awesome. Johnny can go next week, and I wouldn't be bothered. Adam's team seems so middling though...he'll probably get through to the Lives.

Caroline and Stephanie. I actually, really did not like what they did to this song particularly from about the midpoint on. Their voices weren't great on the harmonies and both of their adlibs veered off in unpleasant directions. When they each just sing, their each great. I feel like Gwen and Stephanie have a strong connection, I see her advancing in the KOs. Blake's steals are usually just one and done....maybe Caroline will be an exception though. If he sacrifices her to Lauren/Casi she's got no shot. If she gets Aliyah (in a teen battle) or maybe someone like Enid then she absolutely has a chance.

Hunter and Jack. Sigh. I'm not really feeling either of these guys. Especially Jack. Ideally, Alicia would've kept Hunter and Jack would not have gotten a steal (IMO he's more Candace Cameron's daughter, than Kaley Cuoco's little sister). And then that would've freed up another steal for Josh.

My guess is Adam's steal will more likely be from Team Alicia (probably the 15 year old Lauryn who I think is a clear underdog to Lilli) than Team Gwen (who's final battle seems more of a toss up despite having a montaged contestant.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, this was good, even though at least two of these Battles could've been swapped into Montage Land with two more interesting-looking Battles.

Josh vs. TSoul: Well, come on.  The performance between the two of them was certainly incredible, but Blake gave them a soul song.  It was obvious that TSoul would be the one to be stolen.  Really surprised that Gwen didn't try to steal Josh since she'd tried for him during the Blinds.  He might've made her team even stronger than it already was.  Or at least she could've saved for him for fodder against Troy.

Autumn vs. Vanessa: "Killing Me Softly" is one of my favorite songs from back in the day, and I do think that they both did a great job on this one.  I'm disappointed in Alicia, though, for still not understanding the importance of holding onto her four-chair-turns, though.  Then again, Dave Moisan.  Whitney & Shannon.  Of course she doesn't know how to do that.  At the same time, maybe Vanessa had the edge since she seemed to nail Lauryn Hill's version more than Autumn did.  Speaking of Autumn, I think she really screwed herself by picking Adam for the steal.  In fact, she made a Toia Jones-level mistake.  Both picked Adam over Gwen, who would definitely take them seriously, and in Toia's case, it led to her downfall when Adam paired her with his pet project from that season, Damien.  Adam rarely keeps his steals, and Autumn's doomed if she goes up against whomever Adam has picked as his main horse for this season in the Knockouts.

Johnny vs. Julien: Let's see.  Johnny does an Otis Redding song for his Blind and then gets one for his Battle, too.  Anyone who didn't think Adam had an agenda here?  That, plus him having a "comeback kid" story due to him being a returning artist, made this result an obvious one.  Julien made no real impression on me, though, so I can't say I'll miss him.

Caroline vs. Stephanie: Despite being younger and inexperienced, Caroline kept up with Stephanie extremely well, and they both put together an amazing performance.  I don't think either did badly at all.  I also might've gone with Caroline (even though I envy and covet Stephanie's amazing tone), so I'm glad that Blake gave her the second chance with his last steal.  Let's hope she really brings it at the Knockouts.

Kawan vs. Malik: Oh, dear.  Oh, goodness.  This was just a mess all around.  Even John Legend thought so in his confessionals.  Toward the end, they did pull it together somewhat, but all in all, this one came off like a simple battle to be fodder in the Knockouts.  Adam didn't even look happy about it after the performance was over.  Malik probably made me cringe less, so he won . . . maybe?  And honestly, I had a feeling Kawan lost.  Not only was I privy to it, but he'd been dropping tweets laced with veiled bitterness toward Adam and the show, so it told me that he likely got screwed over by him, and screwed over big-time.  Can't really feel sorry for him, though.  As soon as he fell for Adam's claim that he'd be "the number-one priority on his team," it was clear that it was a false promise that was going to take him right out of the game.  And indeed, it did.

Hunter vs. Jack: This is the Battle that gets the pimp spot?  Really?  It wasn't terrible, but as I'd said above, Paxton Ingram did it better for his tenth-season Blind.  What saved the performance, to me, was Hunter.  I thought he was solid most of the way through.  Jack just made me cringe and wince, both with his vocals and with the way he worked his face during the song.  Especially his lips when he made an "oh" or "oo" sound.  But I think Alicia wants to keep the guy who'll give her the votes in the Lives due to his family connection (perfectly smart, perfectly legitimate, perfectly fair way to win), so she kept Jack.  But since I thought that Hunter did the better job, I'm glad that Gwen stole him.  Hunter kind of dropped a hint that she would, though, on his Twitter.  A fan scolded him for not picking Gwen, and he responded to keep watching.  Biggest hint that she was saving him.

Montages

Honestly, really shocked that they montaged Enid and Valerie.  Even more surprised that four-chair-turn Valerie got the boot against one-chair-turn Enid.  It really sounded like Valerie worked on her tone, though.  Still, you'd think that if a four-chair-turn would get felled by a one-chair-turn, it'd be a big thing they actually showed.  Might've preferred seeing it over any of Blake's other non-steal Battles.  And I'm starting to think that the question of whether or not Adam could beat Blake with a country singer is producer-driven, not Adam-driven, given that he chose to advance Hanna over Sheena.  Again, I'd have seen their rendition of Pink's "Try" easily over Johnny and Julien's foregone conclusion or Kawan and Malik's near-total mess.  Hanna is more fit for pop than Sheena, and she's a three-chair-turn against a one-chair-turn, so I guess she wins.  And finally, really, really sad, disappointed, and disgusted that Troy was montaged, especially since such a high-profile four-chair-turn should be shown, not hidden.  Just looking at the song choice, it's clear he stomped Jozy badly.  (I did feel a bit sorry for her when she looked so crushed when Gwen didn't say her name, though.)  I hope he brings it in the Knockouts, though, because that'll be the main way he gets the recognition he'll need from the fans to get the public vote (or perhaps Gwen's save) at the Lives.

On a side note, loved the second Puppet!Adam appearance.  Really sad they didn't use him in the confessional again, though.

So with the montages done tonight, it's clear that the show wanted to leave no doubt on the last three Battles tomorrow: Jesse Larson vs. Taylor Alexander from Team Adam, Brandon Royal vs. Davina Leone from Team Gwen, and Lauryn Judd vs. Lilli Passero from Team Alicia.  Blake's Battles are all done, and his team for the Knockouts has been decided.  I'm interested in seeing whom Adam's last steal will be, but not interested that person's fate, since I'm not interested in Adam's team at all.  He does, as @pivot said, easily have the worst, weakest team.

7 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Vanessa gave off a bit of an entitled/arrogant vibe that wasn't particularly becoming though.

She does come off a bit like that, but to me, it's tempered by her being so happy when she heard Autumn get stolen.

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Autumn and Vanessa were fine on the song that will until the end of time only be associated with Lauryn Hill. Vanessa gave off a bit of an entitled/arrogant vibe that wasn't particularly becoming though. When the Josh/TSoul battle didn't end in a steal, I was pretty confident this one would...

For some of a "certain generation", that association will always be with Roberta Flack (Lori Lieberman intro'd it, but Roberta made it a mega-hit, back in the day, 1972, and for many years after.

Thanks for the heads-up about the montaged songs being up in full on Youtube (inc. last week)   Good to know as a couple looked more interesting for me than Malik/Kawan (though I liked both in auditions) or  Hunter/Jack (looks like I'll be hearing them both again--not my favs.)

Edited by Padma
  • Love 11
52 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

**Breaking News** Some of the montages, are up on Youtube in full. Even the ones from last Monday. End of PSA.

Not some of them.  All of them!

• Love 4

Montaged Battles below!

Enid vs. Valerie:

Hanna vs. Sheena:

Jozy vs. Troy:

Enid vs. Valerie: Like @PhD-Purgatory15, I thought that Enid, being a one-chair-turn, was easy fodder.  But after seeing it all in full . . . while I maintain that Valerie cleaned up her tone quite a bit, Enid kicked her ass, for sure.  She still had some tone issues.  But for Enid to fell a country singer on a country song when she's more blues and pop . . . well . . . that's a damn fine effort on her part.  Still, I think this could've been shown in the place of Josh vs. TSoul for the simple reason that a four-chair-turn got defeated by a one-chair-turn.  That's usually a groundbreaking Battle to show.

Hanna vs. Sheena: You'd think with her experience, Sheena would've taken this.  But Hanna really did her best to take on the challenge and quite capably won this in a TKO.  Helped majorly that it was a pop song, which Hanna does well, and she was singing against a country singer like Sheena.

Jozy vs. Troy: It was actually good to hear Jozy's voice on a softer, gentler song and not the gritty "American Woman" song she did for her Blind.  She sounded beautiful.  And Troy?  Gorgeous and flawless, as usual.  Surprised that Jozy kept up so well on a country song.  But I think Troy adapted to the country switch a whole lot better than Jozy did (it took some effort for her, while it seemed to take none for him), so Gwen had to go with him.  Smart choice, since I don't think she wanted to let one of her four-chair-turns go.  She's still being careful not to repeat things with Lyndsey Elm.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Padma said:

For some of a "certain generation", that association will always be with Roberta Flack (Lori Lieberman intro'd it, but Roberta made it a mega-hit, back in the day, 1972, and for many years after.

What?  That wasn't Lauryn's initially?

5 hours ago, Vyk said:

Enid vs. Valerie: Like @PhD-Purgatory15, I thought that Enid, being a one-chair-turn, was easy fodder.  But after seeing it all in full . . . while I maintain that Valerie cleaned up her tone quite a bit, Enid kicked her ass, for sure.  She still had some tone issues.  But for Enid to fell a country singer on a country song when she's more blues and pop . . . well . . . that's a damn fine effort on her part.  Still, I think this could've been shown in the place of Josh vs. TSoul for the simple reason that a four-chair-turn got defeated by a one-chair-turn.  That's usually a groundbreaking Battle to show.

I just watched this and Enid wiped the floor with Valerie that I wish it was just Enid herself singing the song. Valerie sounds OK, but not much emotion in her presentation. Enid, on the other hand, made me tear up. Her performance was so emotionally honest. I wish this battle wasn't montaged.

If I were a coach I would put my strong singers against the weaker ones to weed them out.  I always hate to see good singers get eliminated because the other judges are "looking for specific types of singers."

That's what Blake usually does.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Padma said:

That annoyed me last night.  When Johnny/Julian were singing "Hard to Handle" it was shown on screen as an Otis Redding song but the Black Crowes' version.  The same should have been done for "Killing Me Softly," Roberta Flack's, but the Fugees' version.  I know Roberta didn't write it, but her version should have been credited.  It was a big hit.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

backstage drama with him might hit pretty close to home.

My very first impression of Kawan was that he was a bit of a divo.  In his first appearance he was uber confident and could work a stage.  He talked to the judges like they were his best buds.  You could see that he had quite an ego.  In defense of that, I feel that if you are getting up in front of people performing, you need to have an ego and confidence.  Just be humble and turn off the ego at the right time.  Apparently, he didn't.

• Love 5

My boyfriend and I were both very "WTF" after the Kawan/Malek battle because it seemed like Kawan wasn't even trying - just doing the bare minimum.  Malek looked like he was trying too hard to overcompensate, and the whole thing felt awkward. I also would have given Malek the win.

Man, John Legend comes across as very uptight. How dare the dude misuse the pronoun of his song! I mean, I get that being prepared is key, but these two guys are singing in front of 2 superstars on camera on a TV show....wouldn't you be nervous and slip up a bit?? IMO, he came across as a bit douchey here, and I haven't seen much warmth from him in other episodes either (even when he was mentoring Gabi, who he previously knew)

I think the combo of Alicia's hippy dippy blathering about finding truth and brilliance and DJ Khaled's "woa, that was sick" or "bro, you gotta feel it" make for very poor mentoring. I was glad they showed Alicia working with the band and singing some examples, otherwise based on her performance the last 2 seasons, I would question why she's even here.

Tonight was the first time I really felt like Adam should take a break from the show. He seems disinterested, barely present, and his halfhearted joking with Blake has gotten so old, I wouldn't be surprised if it was scripted. Maybe Blake should give his spot to Luke Bryan for a season - I don't listen to country so I'm not familiar with him, but he seems fun, and genuinely digging his mentoring role. Would love to see Ben Folds from Sing Off take Adam's place, but I feel like he's way too technical and dorky. I could see Ed Sheeran doing well as a coach or maybe WillIAM, who's a judge on the UK version.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, waving feather said:

If I were a coach I would put my strong singers against the weaker ones to weed them out.  I always hate to see good singers get eliminated because the other judges are "looking for specific types of singers."

That doesn't always work because if you have two strong singers that are alike the votes will get split and then both could be gone. You need as much diversity musicwise as you can get. It also can depend on the contestants because no matter how hard a coach tries some singer will always pick a certain coach. 

All the coaches has said one time or another that they are looking for a specific they of singer.

16 hours ago, Vyk said:

What?  That wasn't Lauryn's initially?

I'm sorry I can't tell if you were joking. Ms. Flack's version was a huge hit back in 1973 and a lot of people have forgotten or never knew. According to Wikipedia, it spent 5 weeks as #1 (US and Canada) and was ranked as the #3 song of the year by Billboard. Flack's performance won 1973 Grammy Award for Record of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, and the song itself won Song of the Year. (Flack won even bigger at the 1972 Grammys with her version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.)  In 1996 a house remix of Flack's version went to #1 on the dance chart. In 1999 Flack's version was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. I remember seeing her perform it on TV, accompanying herself on the piano. Of course, all the versions are a bit different from each other, faster, slower, differing rhythms, arrangement, etc.

Lori Lieberman version (1972)
Roberta Flack version (from Japanese TV)
The Fugees version
Alicia Keyes version

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

I'm sorry I can't tell if you were joking.

I'm going to pretend I didn't get that comment thrown at me.  No, I wasn't.  I've only ever known Lauryn Hill's version.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Vyk said:

I'm going to pretend I didn't get that comment thrown at me.  No, I wasn't.  I've only ever known Lauryn Hill's version.

No offense was intended, I personally just found it amazing. If you want to be insulted where there was no insult in the first place, go right ahead.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Vyk said:

Just wanted to throw in--since the comment was about my post--I wasn't sure if you were serious or not either, but couldn't figure out how to ask. It's not any insult, though--Lauryn Hill's version is 20 years old after all--a whole generation ago in musical terms, and it makes sense that a lot of people wouldn't know there was a very popular version that is now 45 years old.

Not an insult, but the idea of never hearing about that earlier one makes someone who -does- remember it (well) feel mighty OLD! (just for a moment).  But that's one of my problems with the "musicology" on this show. I wish they'd show more detail about the songs (like the writer) and, if not that, at least give a better shout out to the BIG versions of them. There've been a couple of old songs--like Elvis songs or the Beatles--that I didn't realize were actually covers of songs by artists that were actually before MY time.  (Fortunately, some people at PTV bother to point these things out and it's interesting to look up and often find the original performances on Youtube).

Probably my version of the Voice would be too wonky, with too much info about artists (and songwriters). But I really wish they would do more than they do to acknowledge, at least, the artist who made it into a big hit FIRST.  That really wouldn't take too long (whether something Carson would say or just printed under the title onscreen).

I think that's why I still miss CeeLo Green, because he had a lot more musical knowledge than anyone on this show. I learned things from him, and I miss that. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Padma said:

Just wanted to throw in--since the comment was about my post--I wasn't sure if you were serious or not either, but couldn't figure out how to ask. It's not any insult, though--Lauryn Hill's version is 20 years old after all--a whole generation ago in musical terms, and it makes sense that a lot of people wouldn't know there was a very popular version that is now 45 years old.

Not an insult, but the idea of never hearing about that earlier one makes someone who -does- remember it (well) feel mighty OLD! (just for a moment).  But that's one of my problems with the "musicology" on this show. I wish they'd show more detail about the songs (like the writer) and, if not that, at least give a better shout out to the BIG versions of them. There've been a couple of old songs--like Elvis songs or the Beatles--that I didn't realize were actually covers of songs by artists that were actually before MY time.  (Fortunately, some people at PTV bother to point these things out and it's interesting to look up and often find the original performances on Youtube).

Probably my version of the Voice would be too wonky, with too much info about artists (and songwriters). But I really wish they would do more than they do to acknowledge, at least, the artist who made it into a big hit FIRST.  That really wouldn't take too long (whether something Carson would say or just printed under the title onscreen).

I think that's why I still miss CeeLo Green, because he had a lot more musical knowledge than anyone on this show. I learned things from him, and I miss that. 

This is exactly what I meant in my post earlier today.  They DID show both Otis Redding and The Black Crowes for the "Hard to Handle" battle.  Why no mention of Roberta Flack?  It seemed strange as both versions of "Killing Me Softly" were almost equally as big in their respective years.  

• Love 2

Now I am the one being educated because I always thought that Roberta Flack wrote the song about HER experience at a Don McLean concert. I didn't realize it was written by someone else. Well, as they say, you learn something new every day! I'll always have fond memories of the Lauryn Hill/Fugees version because my kids grew up with it, and we all loved it. I remember driving around with them and when that song came on the radio we would all sing along, with one of us taking the "one time ... two times" part. Such sweet memories. Anyway, Roberta's version was outstanding, but I loved the Fugees' version too because they did such a different take on it. I agree that both versions should have been acknowledged. 

• Love 4

Okay, I'm just going to say it......  I can never hear that song without picturing Hugh Grant singing it.   But I, too, was amazed that Roberta Flack wasn't even mentioned.  As to the Flack v. Fugees issue, for me the best part about the Fugees was the 'one time....two times' part which, according to Wyclef Jean, happened just to give him and Pras something to do during what was essentially a solo singing performance.

In the what I learned last night department:  I would have been outraged that The First Cut is the Deepest was given a Sheryl Crow byline when that will always be a quintessential Rod Stewart song.  I say 'would have' because I was too busy being surprised that I never knew that it was written by Cat Stevens!  Although I thought I knew a lot of Stevens' stuff, I think maybe it was because he became Yusef Islam and gave up the music when I was a tot, whereas Rod kept on trucking along and I probably remember Rod's version because it came along a decade later.

43 minutes ago, JMarie99 said:

Now I am the one being educated because I always thought that Roberta Flack wrote the song about HER experience at a Don McLean concert. I didn't realize it was written by someone else. Well, as they say, you learn something new every day! I'll always have fond memories of the Lauryn Hill/Fugees version because my kids grew up with it, and we all loved it. I remember driving around with them and when that song came on the radio we would all sing along, with one of us taking the "one time ... two times" part. Such sweet memories. Anyway, Roberta's version was outstanding, but I loved the Fugees' version too because they did such a different take on it. I agree that both versions should have been acknowledged. 

I guess I must have taken a break mid-composing because I didn't see your post before I started writing mine.  I love that we both mentioned the 'one time....two times' part and even typed it out the same way!

Edited by Sile
added response to previous post
  • Love 3

I wasn't blown away by any of the battles in this episode.  For the most part they didn't live up to the standard set last week and Kawan vs Malik was downright bad.  At least I do generally agree with who won each battle, with the exception of the last one where I thought Hunter was the clear winner.  

I did enjoy the Caroline vs. Stephanie battle the most.  They have extremely different styles, but somehow it worked.  Caroline has to have been one of the biggest surprises of the Battle Rounds and I hope Blake gives her fair shot at making the live shows.

I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the three montaged battles either, though at least none were as bad as that Kawan vs Malik travesty.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Padma said:

I actually was thinking about Cee Lo as I read through this thread.  "Killing Me Softly" was done before on this show during lives and only the Fugees cover was mentioned in the pre-taped package.  Cee Lo made sure to mention Roberta Flack in his post-performance feedback (I think the contestant was on Adam's team). 

11 hours ago, Sile said:

In the what I learned last night department:  I would have been outraged that The First Cut is the Deepest was given a Sheryl Crow byline when that will always be a quintessential Rod Stewart song.  I say 'would have' because I was too busy being surprised that I never knew that it was written by Cat Stevens!  Although I thought I knew a lot of Stevens' stuff, I think maybe it was because he became Yusef Islam and gave up the music when I was a tot, whereas Rod kept on trucking along and I probably remember Rod's version because it came along a decade later.

I was laughing as I was reading this because "back in the day" when it was released, I was annoyed by the fact that Rod Stewart's version was being treated (on radio) as if it were a brand new song.  I recall having conversations about the song with others and saying, "It's not original.  It's a Cat Stevens' song!"  Full disclosure:  I've never really been a Rod Stewart fan and I loved Cat Stevens' music.  I did like Sheryl Crow's cover though.

My "What I learned last night" moment:  I had NO idea that "Shameless" was written by Billy Joel!  I detest Garth Brooks and while I had listened to a good deal of country throughout the 70s and early 80s, Brooks and his ilk are what pushed me away from country music. (JMO)  I don't think I was at all aware of "Shameless." Had I known it was Billy's song, I might have thought differently.  

will until the end of time only be associated with Lauryn Hill.

Wow.  I guess I'm showing my age but, for me, this will always be Roberta Flack's song.  Huge hit at the time.  I have the same reaction when "I Will Always Love You", is referred to as Whitney's song.  It will forever be Dolly's in my book.  

Glad Blake picked up Caroline.  For me, she did a better job in the battle but Stephanie is good so it all sort of worked out.  

Not the greatest battle night for me.

I'm a little weary of Gwen's oddball hairdo so hope the battles are over soon.

Edited by limecoke
12 hours ago, ProudMary said:
23 hours ago, Sile said:

I was laughing as I was reading this because "back in the day" when it was released, I was annoyed by the fact that Rod Stewart's version was being treated (on radio) as if it were a brand new song.  I recall having conversations about the song with others and saying, "It's not original.  It's a Cat Stevens' song!"  Full disclosure:  I've never really been a Rod Stewart fan and I loved Cat Stevens' music.  I did like Sheryl Crow's cover though.

I was a huge Cat Stevens fan - I played his "Wild World" album over and over again - and I had absolutely no idea that he wrote "First Cut Is the Deepest". I was never a big Rod Stewart fan but I always loved that song, as well as Sheryl Crow's cover. Well, no wonder - it was written by one of my favorite artists of all time! I don't know why those covers left out the line "When it comes to being loved she's first" - it really fits into the context of the song. 

Again, I am finding this show and these Forums to be very educational! 

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:46 AM, viajero said:

I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the three montaged battles either, though at least none were as bad as that Kawan vs Malik travesty.

What about the other three?  They're all in the thread for the second Battle episode since they occurred in it.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Vyk said:

What about the other three?  They're all in the thread for the second Battle episode since they occurred in it.

I guess Andrea vs. Micah was probably my favorite among the 6 montaged battles.

One thing I noticed is that while female contestants have almost always been more likely to be montaged, they really made this gender bias obvious this season by doing it to 10 women and only 2 guys. 

• Love 1
Just now, viajero said:

I guess Andrea vs. Micah was probably my favorite among the 6 montaged battles.

One thing I noticed is that while female contestants have almost always been more likely to be montaged, they really made this gender bias obvious this season by doing it to 10 women and only 2 guys. 

Probably mine, too.  I can't stop watching it!:)  Hanna vs. Sheena is probably my second, with, surprisingly, Josh vs. Nala as my third.  Damn, why didn't they show those last two for Adam's team instead and montage the messes that were Johnny vs. Julien and Kawan vs. Malik?

In fairness, there are a lot of women this season.  Actually, probably way more than usual.  I think the show's trying to pad the contestant count with women since they know too many guys have won, four of them having done so in a row.

(edited)

In the Season 11 battle round females also accounted for 10 out of 12 montaged contestants

In both Seasons 9 and 10, the female to male ratio was 8 to 4. 

Not only were at least twice as many female contestants montaged in every single one of the past four seasons, but they also accounted for 75% of the overall number of montaged contestants over this period.

Edited by viajero
1 hour ago, viajero said:

In the Season 11 battle round females also accounted for 10 out of 12 montaged contestants

Not only were at least twice as many female contestants montaged in every single one of the past four seasons, but they also accounted for 75% of the overall number of montaged contestants over this period.

Really?  Wow.  Guess it is just because they're women, then.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, viajero said:

Look at the ages and relative experiences.  If I'm remembering correctly, the younger and less experienced contestants tend to be female.  

7 hours ago, Noreaster said:

Look at the ages and relative experiences.  If I'm remembering correctly, the younger and less experienced contestants tend to be female.  

I think there have been plenty of teen boys on this show as well.  But in any case, a large majority of montaged contestants over these four seasons have been people in their 20's.  The breakdown for Season 11 seems somewhat typical, with 8 in their 20's, 3 teens, and 1 in their 30's.

(edited)
2 hours ago, viajero said:

I think there have been plenty of teen boys on this show as well.  But in any case, a large majority of montaged contestants over these four seasons have been people in their 20's.  The breakdown for Season 11 seems somewhat typical, with 8 in their 20's, 3 teens, and 1 in their 30's.

I'm just going off memory but I think there have been many more young females than young males over the seasons.  I remember one season when there were quite a few teen guys (I think on Blake's team) and most of them had their battles montaged.  Meaning age and inexperience might be the bigger drivers of montages rather than the gender bias you're suggesting.

The fact that the majority of contestants montaged were over 20 doesn't mean anything when there aren't many teens to begin with.  I'm talking about relative age and relative experience.  Females may be disproportionately montaged if they also make up a disproportionate number of youngsters and amateurs (groups that generally don't perform as well in battles or advance to lives).  

Edited by Noreaster