Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E15: Something They Need

halgia
  • Start Topic

When I was complaining about the monosyllabic junkyard dimwits, that didn't mean I wanted Negan to put in an appearance, and start yakking again.  I get the point with Negan, and his reward/punishment system might work if they were more balanced, and if he would just shut the fuck up.  No one needs to talk that much to get their point across.

At least, I got to see Sasha head butt rapist guy since they couldn't be bothered to show what Sasha did once she was in the compound.  So Negan is okay with bashing people's heads in, burning them, blackmailing them into being his wives, but he draws the line at forcible rape?

I liked seeing Maggie planting, and digging up the berry bush because all the guns, fighting, killing and whining won't amount to anything if they don't begin producing food for themselves.

I can't even begin to articulate the stupidity of the Oceanside visit.

Please let Gregory and Dwight die along with Negan.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, TigerLynx said:

So Negan is okay with bashing people's heads in, burning them, blackmailing them into being his wives, but he draws the line at forcible rape?

Forcible rape, yes. He has no qualms about rape by coercion though. We all have our triggers, I guess.

Tara's acting continues to deteriorate and has reached epic cringe-worthy levels. I guess I better go and watch the rest of this trainwreck now.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

What did I say last week? What did I say? Dumpster Glenn, walker-mobbed Tyreese, Rick in the RV? I said Sasha was not dead. I said this was another cheap and repetitive fake-out. Okay, maybe I didn't add that part but I thought it.

Tara, you're still an idiot. Rick? He welcomes the GPK, who are surrounded him and the other CDBs in a very hostile manner, with a big smile. They try to kill him with Winslow and he shakes the hand of Ms.Yoda. What does he do this week? Sneaks up, sets off explosives and terrorizes a bunch of women and children with no warning, no talking, no nothing. Bonus: His antics attracted a whole slew of walkers, on which they waste a shitload of ammo.

Even Gregory has failed to entertain me this week.

Rick's an asshole so it's no surprise that he acts like one.  But I can't believe Michonne or Carl or Father G. would think it's okay to leave a group of women and children with no way to defend themselves.  Meanwhile, Rick's been kissing the Dumpster Queen's ass from the moment he met her.  Rick is a classic bully and a piece of shit.  I didn't think it was possible to despise the character more than I already did, but I have to give Gimple credit.

• Love 11

that really sucked.  You did that Tara.  You suck. Please let the older woman boss lady stab her up.  No show, it's not cute watching a doofy, thirty something galoot flip off a child.  It's childish.  Maybe the kid will gut her.  We can only hope.  

• Love 22
11 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Forcible rape, yes. He has no qualms about rape by coercion though. We all have our triggers, I guess.

If Negan is okay with blackmailing women into being his wives and having sex with him (and didn't one of the Saviors Carol killed mention her boyfriend/husband wasn't her choice, that Negan chose him for her), then he is okay with forcible rape, he either hasn't applied it yet, or he's just playing mind games.

I hate what they have done to Sasha.  She was smarter than this.

Gregory screaming for Maggie's help was funny.

Please let the Tiger rip someone to shreds.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 12

Dammit, Grandma Sappho!  You had ONE job!  One job!  And you couldn't get that done.

Did CDB think that several explosions were NOT going to draw walkers sooner or later?  I'm surprised it didn't draw Saviors as well...

OMG!  Eric had lines in this episode. Thank you, Eric. I almost forgot that Aaron was gay.  Anyone else guessing that Eric bites it in the big battle and Jesus and Aaron hook up and start a B&B in Oceanside?

So what was the big hurry to get Sasha a suicide method if she didn't take it ASAP?  Apparently, she's still kickin' next episode - thanks "on the next episode" sneak peek.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

So what was the big hurry to get Sasha a suicide method if she didn't take it ASAP?  Apparently, she's still kickin' next episode - thanks "on the next episode" sneak peek.

Much like Negan's wives, it seems Sasha wanted the weapon not to off herself but to turn on Negan. Alas, hard to do with a pill. 

Edited by wrongheaven
  • Love 12
8 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

No show, it's not cute watching a doofy, thirty something galoot flip off a child.  It's childish.  Maybe the kid will gut her.  We can only hope.  

I believe Tara had a rapport with that girl from her first visit, where the girl flipped Tara off first or tried to kill her..?. and Tara flipped her off when she left Oceanside back then, too. I don't recall the specifics, but it was a callback to that. 

• Love 11

Tara IMO is just not a strong character, she didn't come off believable when holding Tonya & Cyndie hostage.

The way TF went about obtaining the guns was wrong but understandable. I'm sure Cyndie, the woman with the short hair, and the one with the ponytail are the ones that wanna help TF take out the Saviors. I like Cyndie, and wouldn't mind seeing her being part of TF. The one with the short hair looks like a badass as well.

You see that Jesus wasn't happy with taking the guns with the way he was looking at the women.

Greg is just a flat out mess, contemplating on killing Maggie and couldn't even kill a walker. That should be survival 101 especially being that the ZA has happened for years now. 

Was Sasha upset that Eugene didn't give her a weapon? It seemed that she didn't want pills she wanted a weapon to either really kill herself or surprise attack Negan.

Dammit, gave my hopes up on Rosita being caught by Dwight and killed and see her being a walker instead. Damn! Damn! Damn!

Michonne has to sharpen up them sniper skills however.

The one good thing Negan did was kill the rapist.

I guess Dwight has a change of heart but I wouldn't trust him at all and still don't care for him either. His circumstances are all on him. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, maystone said:

Hey, you know what? These were not defenseless women and children. These were hardened survivors who killed on sight to protect what they had. CDB was a hell of a lot more charitable to them than if the situation were reversed. Tara and Rick both explained what was going on out in the world, and tried to get Ocean Side to join them. And some of OC did want to join them, because Rickco was actually making sense.

CDB took the guns, but they left everything else, including their edged weapons. They're not completely defenseless, and hell yeah - those guns were needed to take out the Saviors. I go no problem here. Good on Tara for flipping the bird at Serial Killer Barbie, too. I doubt the kid will be crying herself to sleep over that.

Thank you for this perspective. I was upset but this actually makes sense to me.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

But I can't believe Michonne or Carl or Father G. would think it's okay to leave a group of women and children with no way to defend themselves.  Meanwhile, Rick's been kissing the Dumpster Queen's ass from the moment he met her.  Rick is a classic bully and a piece of shit. 

I don't know who I hated more in this ep - Rick or Tara. I was so hoping Grandma was going to pull the trigger and rid of of Tara. She goes waltzing off with Rick, all proud that they're leaving no weapons to the rightful owners. leaving them without the means to defend themselves against anyone or anything. Maybe if Ricky hadn't so easily handed over a whole bunch of guns to that nutty Trash Queen (he didn't even have the sense to hold back or hide any) he wouldn't have to steal anyone else's. However, I have no problem with him ordering Dwight to his knees. I hope he subjects him to the same kind of treatment as ol' Spontaneous Daryl got. I hate Dwight.  A lot. Maybe the fact that he washed his hair symbolizes him turning over a new leaf but I don't care.

16 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

No show, it's not cute watching a doofy, thirty something galoot flip off a child.

"Galoot." Teehee! Flipping off the kid is even more annoying than the fist bump.

• Love 8

I wanted Rick to force Dwight to his knees and then shoot him in the head.  The Rickettes will steal from Oceanside, but they won't just straight up kill Dwight when they should.  Apparently, the idiot writers are going to try and redeem Dwight which means a character I like (Sasha, Maggie, Carol, Aaron, Eric or the Tiger) will get killed, and idiot Dwight will still be there.

• Love 10

Well, I can't say that was the most gripping penultimate episode, mostly because I'm having a hard time with the way they took Oceanside's weapons. IMO 7B was a big improvement over the first half of the season, not that it would take a lot to accomplish. That said, there's only been a handful of episodes in this half season I really enjoyed, and "Bury Me Here" was the only one from beginning to end where I got the "now this is the Walking Dead I remember" feeling. I do like the Kingdom and its cast of characters, though, so there's that. Thing is, prior to this season I liked most episodes in each season; this is the first time, for me, they've had more clunkers than good (never mind great) ones. As a long time, loyal fan of this show, that really sucks. :(

Anyway, I suspect Sasha will try to figure out a way to poison Negan, but of course it won't work. The question is, will she die by her own hand or someone else's?

They could've handled Dwight's character development a lot better than they did. They made him too much of a villain, and by the time they started the redemption arc, a lot of viewers had already lost sympathy for him. As for myself, I don't mind him or Sherry toooo much, and from a strategic standpoint, having a defector, particularly one of Negan's right hand men, is extremely valuable. Besides, anything to get the Saviors off this show sooner rather than later is a plus in my book. ;)

I am disappointed Eugene does indeed appear to have joined the dark side. It is in line with his character, though, and given the situation he's in, I do understand going along to get along. I think he'll have a crisis of conscience once fighting breaks out and he's forced to use his talents against CDB, but I guess I'd hoped he'd been more conflicted about it prior to the shit hitting the fan.

Edited by Sighed I
Adding some more thoughts
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, shanndee said:

O...kay? Well, at least this one made me feel something. It made me feel angry...really angry. It made me hate Rick and his holier than thou decision making. As long as my people are ok, to hell with everyone else. Yes, lets roll over a group of women and children and present them with a no win scenario. That is fine, as long as "my people" get what they "need". Rick may not be Negan yet, but he most definitely is the Governor.

Tara, you suck.

CDB brings their reign of destruction on yet another group who were surviving ok before they showed up. Goody.

I don't think the Oceanside women would negotiate willingly with Crazy Rick. It would have been nice to see though.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

I wanted Rick to force Dwight to his knees and then shoot him in the head.

I want to see him locked up, eating dog food, sleeping naked on concrete and being blasted with shitty music night and day. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, maystone said:

Hey, you know what? These were not defenseless women and children. These were hardened survivors who killed on sight to protect what they had. CDB was a hell of a lot more charitable to them than if the situation were reversed. Tara and Rick both explained what was going on out in the world and tried to get Ocean Side to join them. And some of OC did want to join them, because Rickco was actually making sense.

CDB took the guns, but they left everything else, including their edged weapons. They're not completely defenseless, and hell yeah - those guns were needed to take out the Saviors. I got no problem here. Good on Tara for flipping the bird at Serial Killer Barbie, too. I doubt the kid will be crying herself to sleep over that.

But they're women, so they MUST be weak and defenseless!

Good gravy, this thread was starting to sound like the 1950's.

• Love 17

I have little problem with CDB appropriating Oceanside's weapons; if CDB's revolt is successful, Oceanside will directly benefit.

To those who say Oceanside was "doing fine" before Rick & Co. showed up, I would remind you: Oceanside is but the surviving remnants of a larger group which suffered decimation at the hands of the Saviors.  Oceanside will continue "doing fine" right up until 0.3 seconds after the Saviors rediscover them - which, if the Saviors continue unchecked, will be an inevitability.

• Love 17

It's safe to say Dwight won't get Alpo sandwiches in Alexandria's jail because no one in town knows how to make artisan bread. Maybe Daryl can stand outside his cell and play "Easy Street" on a harmonica.

HATE that Tara gave up the location of the women. What do you bet they show up to fight anyway?

I didn't think tonight's episode was horrible, but it wasn't a classic either. I think at this point I've embraced the fact that this has become a mediocre show and I've lowered my expectations.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I have little problem with CDB appropriating Oceanside's weapons; if CDB's revolt is successful, Oceanside will directly benefit.

To those who say Oceanside was "doing fine" before Rick & Co. showed up, I would remind you: Oceanside is but the surviving remnants of a larger group which suffered decimation at the hands of the Saviors.  Oceanside will continue "doing fine" right up until 0.3 seconds after the Saviors rediscover them - which, if the Saviors continue unchecked, will be an inevitability.

I agree.  If I'm remembering the Tara/Oceanside episode correctly, didn't they kill anyone on site that found their camp and take their weapons?  They're no innocents.   

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Oceanside is but the surviving remnants of a larger group which suffered decimation at the hands of the Saviors.

Something I've never understood: Why would Negan kill all the men and boys (and there must have been some very young boys - children -  there) of this group? As he said to CDB (who killed a whole slew of his men) "You can't get me stuff if you're dead." Why hasn't he killed all the males everywhere else, like Hilltop, etc?

Was the murder of all the males at Oceanside ever explained? If it was, I can't remember.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, maystone said:

Hey, you know what? These were not defenseless women and children. These were hardened survivors who killed on sight to protect what they had. CDB was a hell of a lot more charitable to them than if the situation were reversed. Tara and Rick both explained what was going on out in the world and tried to get Ocean Side to join them. And some of OC did want to join them, because Rickco was actually making sense.

CDB took the guns, but they left everything else, including their edged weapons. They're not completely defenseless, and hell yeah - those guns were needed to take out the Saviors. I got no problem here. Good on Tara for flipping the bird at Serial Killer Barbie, too. I doubt the kid will be crying herself to sleep over that.

Yes...but it was theirs. They had already lost all of their men...they had precious little left to survive on, and what they had belonged to them. They had experienced nothing but the worst from strangers, so they protected what was theirs with lethal force. And look! The one person they let live turned them over to a pirate who left them defenceless against the next lot of strangers (and hand to hand combat with an edged weapon does not always work in your favour).

So...I still have a HUGE problem with this. I fully get that TPTB are trying to say "what if you were always with a group X who did things a certain way...wouldn't everyone else seem as bad as the Saviours when they overthrew you". But I have to go with what someone said in the live thread...remember Glenn's impassioned "This is NOT who We ARE".

At the moment, unfortunately it seems like he was wrong.

• Love 21
45 minutes ago, MichaelaRae said:

I really think they're trying to draw parallels various cast and crew have mentioned on The Talking Dead - would you think Neegan's crew was so bad if we'd been with them from the beginning? Wouldn't some of the shit Rick's crew does look pretty damn questionable if THEY were the "outsiders."

The answer, show runners is: THERE'S A DAMN DIFFERENCE. Yes, it was uncomfortable watching Rick and the gang basically rob another camp and "pull a Neegan" (take the supplies - well, the armory supplies). I struggled with it and still am. But they didn't beat anyone to death with a baseball bat for disobedience. They indicated they wanted to work together (and not in the "bow-down-to-me-and-we're-working-together" way). They said they would bring the supplies back. Nobody on Rick's team has gotten rapey since he put Shane down. Nobody gets burned with an iron or tossed into a fire for their crimes. So no, show people, it's NOT the same. 

They're not going to give them back. They're going to give them to them to the Garbage Pail Kids. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Something I've never understood: Why would Negan kill all the men and boys (and there must have been some very young boys - children -  there) of this group? As he said to CDB (who killed a whole slew of his men) "You can't get me stuff if you're dead." Why hasn't he killed all the males everywhere else, like Hilltop, etc?

Was the murder of all the males at Oceanside ever explained? If it was, I can't remember.

Oceanside fought against the Saviors in the beginning which they lost some men. After the fight all surviving males 10 years of age and older were lined up and killed. Oceanside refused to be subservient to Negan.

• Love 6

If Rick's group loses (which won't happen because they are in the credits), then Oceanside has no weapons to defend themselves.  No one in this ZA is innocent, but I'm sure Negan and his followers can come up with all sorts of reasons why they do what they do.  It doesn't make it right.  Saviors, Terminus, Governor, Rick's group, whoever.  They can tell themselves they are nothing like the Saviors right up to the point where they are.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, shanndee said:

The one person they let live turned them over to a pirate who left them defenceless against the next lot of strangers (and hand to hand combat with an edged weapon does not always work in your favour).

Especially if it's a woman or a kid fighting a man. I'm not into the 1950s mentality, but men just have more physical strength than do women. It's a fact that in hand-to-hand combat -  both parties having equal skills - the woman is going to lose.

• Love 13

But how often have Rick Grimes' plans succeeded?  CDB is in the mess it's in BECAUSE Rick thought it would be a good idea to murder a bunch of Saviours in their sleep without knowing that it was only a satellite group.

That's what pisses me off the most about Michonne.  If ANYONE knows what a fucked up 'leader' Rick Grimes is, it's Michonne.  To approach Oceanside the way Rick did was a guarantee that they wouldn't sign up to Rick's army.   Rick is surrounded by people who know better, who have seen him fuck up time and time again.  Yet not one of them objected.  Not one of them suggested talking to the Oceanside people to persuade them to join the fight against Negan.  Rick made more of an effort with the GPK and they pushed him off the top of a fucking mountain of junk.  At least the Oceanside people speak English.

• Love 15

They're not going to give them back. They're going to give them to them to the Garbage Pail Kids.

True. To get them to fight in the war. After the war is over and they presumably win, agreements can change. (Not that I think it actually would, but...)

4 minutes ago, ShadowSixx said:

Oceanside fought against the Saviors in the beginning which they lost some men. After the fight all surviving males 10 years of age and older were lined up and killed. Oceanside refused to be subservient to Negan.

This is one of the reasons why in this ZA the human race is doomed.  The if you don't do what I want, I will kill you mentality might get you to top dog if you have enough followers, but eventually you run out of people to kill, or someone will kill you.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

Please no. I can't take anymore, "Guns. More. Want we. Ten. Go do." conversations. I'd rather listen to Negan. Actually, he made quite a bit of sense this week so his chatting to Sasha didn't bother me that much, well, not as much as listening to Tara did. And just what was she looking so smug about when she flipped off the kid? She nearly derailed Rick's whole plan with her klutziness and inability to do anything right.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the de-male-ification of Oceanside was an early-days Negan attempt to build support among his burgeoning Survivor crew:

• Negan's credo is "Join the Saviors and you will receive rewards and benefits; oppose, and you will either die or serve."
  • Given Negan's violent implementation of this credo, it wouldn't surprise me if Negan's initial followers were almost exclusively male - raider-type personalities who found the idea of joining forces under Negan's banner appealing.
  • In this context, I also wouldn't be too surprised if Negan initially thought one possible "reward" could be creation of a community-sized harem to service his crew.

One wrinkle: this doesn't seem to square with Negan's no-rapey policy.  a couple of possible "outs" on that score, though:

• We don't know how long Negan's no-rape policy has been in effect; it may have evolved after the Saviors Angel-of-Deathed the Oceanside males.
  • Negan may have presented the Oceanside survivors with a Sasha-esque choice; accept the role of Savior concubines, or die - after which Negan would rationalize their treatment as, "Well, this is the choice THEY made."  He seems ok with this sort of rationalization with respect to his "wives", after all....
Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

This is one of the reasons why in this ZA the human race is doomed.  The if you don't do what I want, I will kill you mentality might get you to top dog if you have enough followers, but eventually you run out of people to kill, or someone will kill you.

Exactly!! Even our group has fallen prey to this mentality. They may not have killed anyone in Oceanside directly, but stealing their weapons and making enough noise to attract a herd of walkers (and nearby people?...that explosion would have been visible foe miles) is not far off.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Please no. I can't take anymore, "Guns. More. Want we. Ten. Go do." conversations. I'd rather listen to Negan. Actually, he made quite a bit of sense this week so his chatting to Sasha didn't bother me that much, well, not as much as listening to Tara did. And just what was she looking so smug about when she flipped off the kid? She nearly derailed Rick's whole plan with her klutziness and inability to do anything right.

If Jadis ask for more guns I'm gonna morph into my t.v. and kill her myself. Especially since she's incapable of constructing together full sentences. The ZA caused the GPK to have the case of Benjamin Button talking wise.

• Love 5
Just now, CletusMusashi said:

Well, in Rick's defense, once they met him they were gonna get killed pretty soon anyway...

This made me laugh.  It's sad though.  Because no matter how nice or good some people are, or how capable they are at defending themselves, once Rick's group shows up, sooner or later, they will be dead.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, Nashville said:
  • We don't know how long Negan's no-rape policy has been in effect; it may have evolved after the Saviors Angel-of-Deathed the Oceanside males.
  • Negan may have presented the Oceanside survivors with a Sasha-esque choice; accept the role of Savior concubines, or die - after which Negan would rationalize their treatment as, "Well, this is the choice THEY made...."  He seems ok with this sort of things with respect to his "wives", after all.

I don't think it really has anything to do with his distaste for forcible rape. I think it's another control method for him. Maybe he used to watch NatGeo and saw how only the Alpha wolf mates, and the other males are not allowed the same privilege, unless he grants permission. I really doubt he gives a shit for the feelings of any woman threatened with rape (just as he cares not for the feelings of the "wives" he's blackmailed and pressured into prostituting themselves for him) it's just that his men taking what they want (raping) challenges his total and complete control over his pack.  Or maybe his wife or daughter was raped and he had to watch. Who knows?

once Rick's group shows up, sooner or later, they will be dead.

How true, and don't forget not even animals escape that fate. All those horses, pigs, the goat etc, living happily until The Plague shows up.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 14
35 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Why hasn't he killed all the males everywhere else, like Hilltop, etc?

Well, it obviously didn't work out so well with Oceanside; all the males dead, and all the females gone.  Doesn't exactly beg for a redux.

• Love 4

Well, it obviously didn't work out so well with Oceanside; all the males dead, and all the females gone.  Doesn't exactly beg for a redux.

Yeah, even bash happy psycho Negan must realize that no men, women, or children means no more people to kill, terrorize, or turn into slaves.  Unfortunately, this has not translated into the realization that humans are supposed to be a scarce resource in this ZA, and that if you go around constantly killing people, and destroying everything in sight, sooner or later, nothing will be left.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 7

I've been pondering it further and while I still have some concerns about the overall ethics of CDB's actions, I'm definitely convinced that they didn't leave women and children "defenseless." Carl's future wife, Psychopath!Child!Killer!Rachel, handled herself with a knife just fine, as did several of the others. And the CDB only cleared the arsenal, it appears...I assume many of them still had guns in their cabins. Also, they have killed on-site anyone who discovered their camp, so I'm not really feeling the helpless, defenseless, fully wronged vibe.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, MichaelaRae said:

I've been pondering it further and while I still have some concerns about the overall ethics of CDB's actions, I'm definitely convinced that they didn't leave women and children "defenseless." Carl's future wife, Psychopath!Child!Killer!Rachel, handled herself with a knife just fine, as did several of the others. And the CDB only cleared the arsenal, it appears...I assume many of them still had guns in their cabins. Also, they have killed on-site anyone who discovered their camp, so I'm not really feeling the helpless, defenseless, fully wronged vibe.

Exactly.  CDB did not take "all the weapons" - they took all the firearms in the arsenal, which were previously locked up in the arsenal and not in general use anyway.  Hand weapons such as knives and axes were not confiscated, nor was mention made of firearms actually in use - by perimeter security, for example. 

(Although I would half-guess the perimeter security exemption might be a non-issue; if any had actually been in play, I would have expected some hothead to pop off at least a few rounds at CDB during their initial invasion.)

• Love 5

Then I guess TPTB can finally claim to have (finally) produced a successful episode this season. We are actually talking about it rather than laughing/rolling our eyes/snarking about it.

• Love 1