Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: The Focus Group

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

I'm not sure which episode it was in, but I don't recall the line being delivered as a crack on Grace.  A quick search of the interwebs indicates that the oldest recorded age at menopause is 62, and the oldest age when giving birth is 59.

And I just took it as Frankie being her goofy self. I'd have to say though, both of those ages seem a little low. I seem to recall, at least for the giving birth part, hearing about someone in her 60's. I shudder to think of it.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

And I just took it as Frankie being her goofy self.

Same here, especially given Grace's sarcastic response in which she sounded just like she does every time Frankie says something outlandish.  

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

And I just took it as Frankie being her goofy self. I'd have to say though, both of those ages seem a little low. I seem to recall, at least for the giving birth part, hearing about someone in her 60's. I shudder to think of it.

I assume the "giving birth" stat is for cases without fertility treatments.  For example, in this case of a 60-year-old, the woman acknowledges that she "started fertility treatments last fall, and found out she was pregnant earlier this year."  Other cases have involved IVF. 

• Love 2
On April 24, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Inquisitionist said:

Technically, menopause is an event -- the cessation of menstrual periods.  It is usually measured as one year after the last period, since it's rare to have another period after that long a gap.  Afterwards, one is post-menopause.  I thought it was so weird that Frankie made a crack in one episode of not being sure she'd come out of perimenopause, since that precedes menopause.  At 70+, she's clearly post-menopause.

Premenopause is before.  Perimenopause is during.  Pregnancy can occur during either.  

• Love 1
On 2017-3-25 at 4:05 AM, wings707 said:

Since I love this series I hate to knock it but, grown women not knowing what to do with a penis shaped vibbrator in their hand?   Written for a comedic moment, I get that. 

A little known fact about me( not anymore) I worked one summer in a love boutique. You would be surprised just how many women were clueless. I think most of them were embarrassed to ask, and sometimes, with some of the things in that shop, I faked knowledge! Rofl,at myself.

Its amazing the amount of women that had never, ever used one.

If I hadn't seen them open the package and tout its features, I would have had no idea it was a vibrator, and I still don't really know how it works.  I wouldn't have caught on as quickly as the church ladies did.  

Brianna really is awful.  She was funny at first, but totally unlikeable now.

• Love 1

Funniest exchange in this episode: 

Frankie (having just opened the box with their vibrators): “OK! We need to test them out.”

Grace: “You mean now? Together, in the same room, at the same time?” 

Frankie: “Well, that’s not what I meant....but I’m open to it if that’s your jam.”

Edited by Liamsmom617
  • Love 1

Hubby and I are in our 70s, and have just begun binge-watching this show.  We had some pretty funny conversations yesterday while watching "The Focus Group" episode.

Me:  Any idea which end they're suggesting one should use?

Him:  I'm not sure.  Maybe you could Google it.

Me:  I am NOT going to have searches for vibrators in my Google history.  And I'm sure not going to "Fascinations" to ask someone.

============

On another subject:  The sisters weren't JUST going out to lunch.  They were planning to go to Juniper & Ivy.  It's Richard Blais' pricey restaurant in downtown San Diego.  If I had been willing to spend that much on lunch while we were in San Diego, I would NOT have wanted to listen to little kids whimpering and wailing.  And since little kids don't have "off" buttons, it's better not to go there with them.  It wouldn't have been so bad if Bree had suggested somewhere more family-friendly, but she was definitely over the line in her reactions to the kids.

============

On yet another subject:  Mr. AZC and I often wear matching t-shirts from our travels.  We have Thing 1 and Thing 2 t-shirts, and we wear them every year on October 31.  We're a hit in our senior community.

• Love 1
On 4/24/2017 at 2:56 AM, Anothermi said:

Their vibrator is a "specialty" item. It is designed for women who have been in menopause for quite a while and, most importantly, have arthritis in their hands and wrists. Masturbation gets tricky - even if you want to do it - when you've got arthritis. The angles that your hands and wrists used to manage (without even thinking about it) become painful obstacles. There are lots of everyday specialty tools for people with arthritis (i.e. specific attachments to turn door knobs into lever openers - no twisting required). Grace & Frankie referred to the "penis shaped" part as the handle. It is large and soft so that fingers don't have to bend too sharply. They demonstrated the ease with which the working part (the head) could adjust the angle with only a little pressure. They stated they were going for orgasms, not pretend sex. Orgasms are most easily achieved via the clitoris, so that's the area this toy is focused on.

This one most definitely would need an instruction manual because although the penis shaped handle is a good advertisement for what the item is to be used for, it is easily mistaken as the business end of the toy rather than the cleverly designed aid. They also referred to it as a sleeve: it has glow in the dark control buttons embedded in it and it's the only place where the power source and vibrator mechanism could go. Wouldn't recommend inserting that part of the device anywhere but into your hand!

It really is a brilliant idea and I'm enjoying this story line.

OMG, thank you for explaining this! IT MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE NOW. I thought it was a comically large dildo with a vibrator part, I didn't connect it was a handle and vibrator only. The shape led me to the wrong conclusion.

And tbh I don't have arthritis but a multi-angle head is just a plain good idea for everyone. That's true for a lot of adaptive things -- we all benefit from easy-grip scissors, shirts that can be fastened with one arm, easy-open condoms, and vibrators that don't give you a hand cramp :D

• Like 3