Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E22: Waimaka ʻeleʻele (Black Tears)

• Start Topic

On 3/29/2017 at 5:29 PM, Mittengirl said:

I thought we already had an episode about Steve's grandfather's role at Pearl Harbor?  They returned a sword to someone at the end?

That ep was more about the actual attack, & the local Japanese internment camp which came about afterwards, as opposed to the McGarrett family's connection to it. The McGarrett family connection in it was that Steve's namesake grandfather, who died in the attack, was (as I remember) being helped to study for some sort of officer's exam by the father in the Japanese family (& he gave a baseball mitt to 1 of the then-kids in the family). I think the kid turned into the adult who was stopped, at the beginning of the ep, for trying to kill someone he recognized (at a local Pearl Harbor remembrance ceremony) from the internment camp which, of course, they were sent to after the attack though they were Japanese-Americans. He was involved with stealing the family's ceremonial sword, which was returned to the attempted killer at the end.

There was also episode 7 in Season 1 where McGarrett is in the hostage situation on the USS Missouri. The tour guide, played by Robert Loggia, eventually is able to help subdue the ex-SEAL who is holding the tourists hostage (granted, he gets shot but is enough of a distraction for McGarrett to get the drop on the perp). I believe in the dialogue at the end he also mentions that he served with McGarrett's grandfather and may have relayed some information about his role in the bombing, but I would have to re-watch the end of the episode to remember much more about it. So, yes, several references to Steve's grandfather's role at Pearl Harbor have been on the show over the years. Looking forward to this one, they do a nice job of adding some history to the program at times.

That was quite a lot of fruit salad on Steve's jacket there.

I kept expecting him to pull a knife out of his boot or something during the big fight, instead of flailing around. Also, giant shootout in public? Yeah, that would have been uploaded to Facebook and Youtube instantaneously. There weren't even fleeing and/or screaming civilians on the street.

Random Adam storyline?

Steve sure heals quickly, doesn't he?  Brutal fight, bloody face, no bruising the next day.

I thought there was going to be more to the Pearl Harbor survivor's storyline, considering it got the main mention in the episode description.   I wouldn't exactly say the team was working his murder case, since it was collateral damage to the real crime of the week.

Speaking of which, I swear I have seen the "comrades-in-arms robbing a bank to support a widow" storyline some where before.   

How is it that 20 of HPD's finest can't take down four(?) armed men that are surrounded?  I thought Kono was supposed to be able to shoot the wings off a fly at 100 yards?  And shouldn't someone have been trailing Steve, so that he isn't left to fight alone?  A wingman, so to speak?  But then, I guess we get no fight scene. (Which I would be fine missing.)

Final beef, a 93-year-old man with a granddaughter that looked like she couldn't be more than 20?  Sure, it's possible, but why not cast someone more age-appropriate?  Or make her his great-granddaughter.

Really final beef, the Adam storyline was kind of superfluous, no?   Please tell me it is not a lead-in to Adam getting a badge.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Steve sure heals quickly, doesn't he?  Brutal fight, bloody face, no bruising the next day.

I thought there was going to be more to the Pearl Harbor survivor's storyline, considering it got the main mention in the episode description.   I wouldn't exactly say the team was working his murder case, since it was collateral damage to the real crime of the week.

Speaking of which, I swear I have seen the "comrades-in-arms robbing a bank to support a widow" storyline some where before.   

How is it that 20 of HPD's finest can't take down four(?) armed men that are surrounded?  I thought Kono was supposed to be able to shoot the wings off a fly at 100 yards?  And shouldn't someone have been trailing Steve, so that he isn't left to fight alone?  A wingman, so to speak?  But then, I guess we get no fight scene. (Which I would be fine missing.)

Final beef, a 93-year-old man with a granddaughter that looked like she couldn't be more than 20?  Sure, it's possible, but why not cast someone more age-appropriate?  Or make her his great-granddaughter.

Really final beef, the Adam storyline was kind of superfluous, no?   Please tell me it is not a lead-in to Adam getting a badge.

Everything you just posted!  I was wondering if I was the only one that thought it could have been more age appropriate when Steve said his grandfather served with the young ladies.  I was thinking that since she was young enough to be Steve's daughter her grandfather or one of his children must have had a late in life child. 

Oh and one last comment.  I can't be the only one that thought as Adam ate the potato chip filled sandwich his wife made for him he had to be thinking, "I really love you Kono.  OMG!  I'm so poor now!  I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to have all that education earned and wealth disappear.

7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

That was quite a lot of fruit salad on Steve's jacket there.

I kept expecting him to pull a knife out of his boot or something during the big fight, instead of flailing around. Also, giant shootout in public? Yeah, that would have been uploaded to Facebook and Youtube instantaneously. There weren't even fleeing and/or screaming civilians on the street.

Random Adam storyline?

Well it is not as bad as TV 20 years ago when every veteran character was in a desperate fight either in an unknown secret war in Colombia and not facing bombed out Iraqis who were surrendering to news crews. Or were like Det Tutuola of Law & Order SVU and was a veteran of the Blackhawk Down Incident. Commander McGarrett did serve as a frontline or behind the enemy lines SEAL during the first half of our current war. I was pleasantly shocked that this time he shaved before donning his uniform for a formal event something he didn't do in earlier episodes.

7 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

With CSI and the LVPD off the air now it is certain that the most dangerous job in the world is HPD. I was shocked that this time they spent the screen second to say they were wounded and not dead after being hit by machine guns. It was an interesting case since the bad guys were all as tactically competent as Commander McGarrett and the shootout along with the breakfast with the suspect move was ripped straight from the movie Heat. but there the crew was facing beat cops with pistols and not an alert SWAT team backing 5-0. Heat turned out to be a preview of what happened in the real life North Hollywood Bank Of America takeover robbery.

5-0 is strange sometimes the team goes in with heavy weapons for seemingly potentially lower levels of combat but going up against a trained squad Captain Grover and Detective Williams left their heavier guns at home, I guess depending upon the SWAT back up. But the bad guys had plot armor so Steve could go hand to hand with his counter part. It would have played the same even if Kono had her sniper rifle and picked off one of the bad guys from a high vantage point.

I remember a Miami Vice episode were Native American Vietnam vet Lurps(Rangers) were stealing from cartels to keep them from using their grounds as a smuggling location. The A-Team and Burn Notice were entire series based upon pulling crimes to help good people, but they would have surrendered to the police not shot four of them to escape but I am pretty sure Michael Weston would set off a bomb to cover his escape

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2

Aww, I hate it when shows hire Colby as the villain. I miss the good old days of 'Run, Colby, run!'

I actually liked the Adam side-plot (randomness aside) - he showed some brains with the final scheme to catch wife-murderer red (err, clay-)handed in the end.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2

Did anyone else think Hal Holbrook really needs to change his hairstyle? Every time they showed him from the right (that is, his right side so the girl was on the far side of the screen), he looked like a woman! It was definitely not styled right!

• Love 5
On 4/15/2017 at 10:26 AM, illdoc said:

Did anyone else think Hal Holbrook really needs to change his hairstyle? Every time they showed him from the right (that is, his right side so the girl was on the far side of the screen), he looked like a woman! It was definitely not styled right!

I know! And I felt so bad thinking it. I actually did think he was a woman, at first - before I recognized him.

Long gun battles don't do a lot for me, especially as @Mittengirl says, Kono's supposed to be an ace sniper.

I kind of liked Adam's side story - which is pretty unusual.

Hal Holbrook! Hair issues aside, happy to see him popping up randomly these days, at 92! Even making the trip to Hawaii would be a chore for a lot of people by that point in their life. Never mind filming an action set-piece.

I felt for Adam. He genuinely seemed like he enjoyed a lot about the job prior to the incident. I'm sure it felt somewhat freeing. While it was fun watching him problem solve with Jerry, I hope they resist the temptation to rope him in with Five-0 like they did with Catherine. It's more interesting to have these characters who can pursue stories outside the team.

On 4/15/2017 at 0:36 AM, Mittengirl said:

I thought the same thing.  When I saw his face after the fight I thought, "He's gonna have one eye swollen shut, lumps and bumps, and a fat lip."  If you're not gonna do that then at least slide in something like, "Two weeks later..."  There's no way the guy would have been able to go to work the next day or even two days after that beat-down.  Writers are getting so lazy, no wonder people get tired of shows quicker than we used to.  SOS every doggone week!

8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I know! And I felt so bad thinking it. I actually did think he was a woman, at first - before I recognized him.

Long gun battles don't do a lot for me, especially as @Mittengirl says, Kono's supposed to be an ace sniper.

I kind of liked Adam's side story - which is pretty unusual.

Agree!  I thought Hal was a grandma at first.  

• Love 2

I admit, I did laugh when Steve dug the slug out of his bulletproof vest and everyone just rolled their eyes. Like it wasn't even worth commenting on anymore. He should have had a giant bruise from that too and possibly bruised ribs. 

Everybody shot like Stormtroopers in this episode.

• Love 2

You have to think by now, after 7 years, the good citizens of Honolulu automatically hit the deck or take cover anytime that the 5-0 crew is in the vicinity. Otherwise, there would be more civilian collateral than the bad guys.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:08 AM, ally said:

The actress who played Amanda Peterson is Lexi Atkins, and she is 25 years old. SO, that is a 67-year span between the character's ages, although they didn't actually give her age in the show. Someone along the way wasn't quite planned out to the last detail. She was also one of the stars of Zombeavers, a movie about, well, zombie beavers. Obviously her career is going downhill already.

I thought Adam was a law school graduate? Why doesn't he hang a shingle, or do some paralegal work? Then he  doesn't have to worry so much about the "no one will hire an ex-con" these days. He could team up with O'Dell. But, I always like his appearances on the show. I also thought it was odd that Kono didn't bother to tell him that Jerry had his badge after X number of years? Maybe she was too busy researching new sandwich recipes.

I thought the fact that Kono didn't tell Adam about Jerry was a "subtle" tell that they have grown apart.   My guess - the pair will debate their future together, Kono will find out she is pregnant and they will tearfully realize how much they love each other.  Or Kono finds out she is pregnant and then Adam gets killed.  Or both.   (Season-ending cliffhanger:  Adam is on life support and Kono stares at a pregnancy test stick.)

• Love 1

That was a bloody end to Colby, whose appearance is requiring some Numb3rs viewing after these last few minutes. I think it's mildly amusing that almost all of Dylan Bruno's random TV appearances (at least, that I've seen) have him being some kind of veteran who fought in a Middle Eastern country. Ah, typecasting.

I thought that was a good use of Adam, a character that I don't much care for in general.

Also, that was a lot of heavy machinery doing basically nothing except damaging property.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, JessDVD said:

I think it's mildly amusing that almost all of Dylan Bruno's random TV appearances (at least, that I've seen) have him being some kind of veteran who fought in a Middle Eastern country. Ah, typecasting.

Not just a vet who did time in the Middle East, but specifically a military contractor that is a Very Bad Guy. Not only did he play that here, but on NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles as well. 

• Love 1

I just can't believe Steve never saw that documentary before.  I'd think it would be on top of the stack of DVDs on his TV case and he would already have seen the mention of his grandfather's role.  

I must say I didn't mind Ian Anthony Dale in construction worker garb.  And then he was back into sneaky-James-Bond-like black as he spied on the bad guy (as opposed to when he's in a dapper-Bond tux or whatever).  

3 hours ago, GustheCat said:

I thought Adam was a law school graduate? Why doesn't he hang a shingle, or do some paralegal work? Then he  doesn't have to worry so much about the "no one will hire an ex-con" these days. He could team up with O'Dell. But, I always like his appearances on the show. I also thought it was odd that Kono didn't bother to tell him that Jerry had his badge after X number of years? Maybe she was too busy researching new sandwich recipes.

I'm not sure, but I think if you're convicted of a felony (which I believe Adam was) you are automatically disbarred.

• Love 1

I agree with everyone regarding Hal Holbrook.  I didn't recognise him at all, and I really thought it was a gravelly voiced grandmother giving advice to her granddaughter.  Then she said something about how many times it took to get your grandmother to go out with me, and for an instant I thought the storyline was going to be about some secret and forbidden same sex relationship from decades past.  I thought I must have misheard.  I paused the TV on the closeup of the face and I STILL thought it was a woman.

I enjoyed both storylines this week.  There was a minimal use of Scott Cahn, and surprisingly, I didn't find Jerry Garcia that annoying.  Maybe now that he has a badge he won't complain so much and I won't find him as irritating.  I wonder if he got an office on the first floor instead of still being in the basement.

I'm glad that if Adam is going to be on the show, at least he had some significant role this week, rather than a Hi and Bye.  I'm puzzled as to why he thought he needed to hide his firing from Kono.  He should know his wife better than that.  And now what is he going to do?  Join another construction team that isn't shut down?  Be a "special consultant" to 5-0?  Be a househusband?

Regarding Adam not being able to practice law.  Is the felony he committed the deaths of the two guys which put him in prison?  Because didn't they exonerate him for that eventually saying it was self-defence?  So wouldn't those get expunged?  I know he was also local head of the Yakuza but I would think he can make an argument that he walked away from that and was trying to make it right.  Surely he could ask the state bar to review his case and re-instate his license.  Or he could work as a paralegal in a firm.  Something related to his education and not odd jobs.  But I predict he is going to work for Kamekona.  After a seeming overload and overexposure of Kamekona in recent episodes, he was strangely absent this time.

On 4/15/2017 at 7:54 AM, Raja said:

I remember a Miami Vice episode were Native American Vietnam vet Lurps(Rangers) were stealing from cartels to keep them from using their grounds as a smuggling location. The A-Team and Burn Notice were entire series based upon pulling crimes to help good people, but they would have surrendered to the police not shot four of them to escape but I am pretty sure Michael Weston would set off a bomb to cover his escape

I miss Burn Notice.  Perfect combination of action and humour.

5 hours ago, blackwing said:

I didn't recognise him at all, and I really thought it was a gravelly voiced grandmother giving advice to her granddaughter.  Then she said something about how many times it took to get your grandmother to go out with me, and for an instant I thought the storyline was going to be about some secret and forbidden same sex relationship from decades past.

Hahaha! I also didn't recognize Hal nor see a man, but this is truly creative!

I didn't mind the Adam storyline, but what I found so dumb was the manager firing Adam. If he wanted Adam to shut up, why wouldn't he just threaten him with firing?  Then Adam would spend more time considering his actions. If you fire him, he doesn't have anything to lose in reporting the situation to his COP wife (and I believe Adam told Kono that all the guys knew her identity, right?). I really wanted the manager to apologetically hire Adam back at the end.

All I could think about during the McGarrett fight scene is yep, this is why AOL is so beat up and is (almost) ready to be done!

Did anyone else think, during the last scene with the granddaughter, that she's probably show-age appropriate for Steve to ask out? (Sadly.)

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not sure, but I think if you're convicted of a felony (which I believe Adam was) you are automatically disbarred.

Not that many real topics are covered here, we're all fans of the show and want to be entertained to some extent. I did research whether Adam could practice law in Hawaii with a felony conviction (although we don't know the details of that plea bargain), and the answer is yes. In fact, in the state of Hawaii, an employer may not inquire about convictions until a conditional offer of employment is made. Hawaii places arrest and court records in the same class as sex, age, religion, etc. I also found every state can be different regarding this topic.

That said, I've also noticed an absence of Kamekona and Flippa, can't find any news about them as to why they are missing in action as of late?

Also, I am waiting for a Duke-centric episode at some point. He's been credited in 77 episodes. What are they waiting for?

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, GustheCat said:

I did research whether Adam could practice law in Hawaii with a felony conviction

Pretty sure they could handwave a lot if they wanted to make Adam a lawyer for plot purposes. ;) I like Adam and don't mind his occasional appearances. 

On the same topic - anyone know why Julie Benz has been MIA this season? Did the character move back to SF and I missed it?

22 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Pretty sure they could handwave a lot if they wanted to make Adam a lawyer for plot purposes. ;) I like Adam and don't mind his occasional appearances. 

On the same topic - anyone know why Julie Benz has been MIA this season? Did the character move back to SF and I missed it?

She was on Training Day with Bill Paxton and was unavailable for filming.  She'll be on the season finale of 5-0.

22 hours ago, GustheCat said:

Not that many real topics are covered here, we're all fans of the show and want to be entertained to some extent. I did research whether Adam could practice law in Hawaii with a felony conviction (although we don't know the details of that plea bargain), and the answer is yes. In fact, in the state of Hawaii, an employer may not inquire about convictions until a conditional offer of employment is made. Hawaii places arrest and court records in the same class as sex, age, religion, etc. I also found every state can be different regarding this topic.

It's not really about whether or not a potential employer can inquire; it's whether the State Bar would disbar him or not, and since he pleaded guilty to a homicide, he would definitely be disbarred. His past yakuza affiliation would also be enough to get his law license pulled. In any case, I don't remember that Adam even was a lawyer (though I'm not saying he wasn't; I just don't remember it). I thought he was just a businessman/gangster.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2017 at 2:28 PM, blackwing said:

I agree with everyone regarding Hal Holbrook.  I didn't recognise him at all, and I really thought it was a gravelly voiced grandmother giving advice to her granddaughter.  Then she said something about how many times it took to get your grandmother to go out with me, and for an instant I thought the storyline was going to be about some secret and forbidden same sex relationship from decades past.  I thought I must have misheard.  I paused the TV on the closeup of the face and I STILL thought it was a woman.

I enjoyed both storylines this week.  There was a minimal use of Scott Cahn, and surprisingly, I didn't find Jerry Garcia that annoying.  Maybe now that he has a badge he won't complain so much and I won't find him as irritating.  I wonder if he got an office on the first floor instead of still being in the basement.

I'm glad that if Adam is going to be on the show, at least he had some significant role this week, rather than a Hi and Bye.  I'm puzzled as to why he thought he needed to hide his firing from Kono.  He should know his wife better than that.  And now what is he going to do?  Join another construction team that isn't shut down?  Be a "special consultant" to 5-0?  Be a househusband?

Regarding Adam not being able to practice law.  Is the felony he committed the deaths of the two guys which put him in prison?  Because didn't they exonerate him for that eventually saying it was self-defence? So wouldn't those get expunged?  I know he was also local head of the Yakuza but I would think he can make an argument that he walked away from that and was trying to make it right.  Surely he could ask the state bar to review his case and re-instate his license.  Or he could work as a paralegal in a firm.  Something related to his education and not odd jobs.  But I predict he is going to work for Kamekona.  After a seeming overload and overexposure of Kamekona in recent episodes, he was strangely absent this time.

I miss Burn Notice.  Perfect combination of action and humour.

I have the feeling Jerry's still in the basement. Not because there's no room upstairs, but because it suits his "conspiracy theorist" type character as originally conceived.

I don't think Adam was ever exonerated, really--at least not for saying it was self defense; nor did he say he shot those men in self defense. Self defense was, as I remember, mentioned by Kono when she was updating Five-0 on the sentencing negotiations with the DA (or "Prosecuting Attorney", as they seem to call them in Hawaii instead of "DA"). But it wasn't mentioned by Adam. Kono mentioned it in terms of something like, "Because of who he is (the son of a Yakuza boss), they're making him serve some time even though everybody knows it was self defense." And then she went into how long a sentence they were offering, which was something like 18 months or 2 years (these eps were just on TNT's reruns--Adam just entered the prison in the last ep they showed last Friday night/Saturday morning); I think they started at 2 years & knocked it down to 18 months before he actually set foot in the prison).

Like I said, Adam wasn't exonerated for saying it was self defense. But after he got dragged along on that jailbreak set up by some of the show's real "big bads", which aired in an ep about this time last season, Adam got his sentence commuted for his actions while he was stuck with the real escapees (he behaved himself, if you will, they knew he didn't escape willingly since he wasn't like the guys he was with to start with, & he subtly dropped a trail of beads from a prayer necklace, or some other kind of necklace, he just happened to be wearing at the time so that whoever was searching for them would notice them & be led to the group of escapees & recapture them). That's how he got out really early in the beginning of this current season.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:21 PM, Moxie Cat said:

As @ally said, Julie will be in the season finale; she filmed her part a few weeks ago. She also was in the season premiere (& might've been in another ep I'm forgetting). In the premiere, they said her character had transferred from Five-0 to HPD (which would help explain why she wasn't around a lot since it had already been announced she also had a part in Training Day, which would obviously cause issues with her availability to film H50). Given the untimely death of Bill Paxton & the less than stellar ratings for that show, I have the feeling it'll be cancelled (it wasn't among the shows renewed with H50 & it still hasn't been renewed). If it is, hopefully we'll see more of Julie & her character Abby in S8.

7 hours ago, fishcakes said:

It's not really about whether or not a potential employer can inquire; it's whether the State Bar would disbar him or not, and since he pleaded guilty to a homicide, he would definitely be disbarred. His past yakuza affiliation would also be enough to get his law license pulled. In any case, I don't remember that Adam even was a lawyer (though I'm not saying he wasn't; I just don't remember it). I thought he was just a businessman/gangster.

In my opinion, if Adam was a "gangster" at all he was a rather reluctant one. His late brother, Michael, had it in him more than Adam did. And when Michael got out of prison in S3, he seemed to take over the running of the Yakuza. He also stole Kono's gun & killed some people/enemies with it, then put it back where he found it & she & Adam were none the wiser until the bodies were found & the bullets in them matched those in Kono's gun (which was probably easier to tell than other guns since Kono was a cop & all her guns would likely already be registered with HPD & Five-0). All because Adam was, literally, in bed with a cop--which would be a severe liability to Michael's running the Yakuza.

2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Speaking of people being missing, where did Chin Ho's niece go?

According to promo pics I've seen that CBS has released, she's in the season finale if not before. I think the last time she was on was when she was selling "Aloha Girls" cookies to the team with Kamekona's help a few weeks ago.

On 4/15/2017 at 6:54 AM, Raja said:

It was an interesting case since the bad guys were all as tactically competent as Commander McGarrett and the shootout along with the breakfast with the suspect move was ripped straight from the movie Heat.

I didn't have a chance to watch until now, but this cracked me up. 

Was the guy implying that the USA should have used nukes on the Taliban?

Edited by ganesh