Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: C-H-- CHEATER!

Drogo

Maya and Kenneth team up to hold JJ accountable after he cheats on an exam at school. Meanwhile, Jimmy bails Ray out of a get-rich-quick scheme, but also learns the reason behind his need for some fast cash.

My DVR cut off just as the history teacher was writing his story in which he said "the young HJ uttered his first words....." 

Then I heard what sounded like Kenneth yelling something.  Somebody help me out please!  What was said at the very end.  Thanks so much!

(edited)

JJ = Jimmy Jr. (Aww! I kinda figured it had to be that -- or else maybe Jesse James, which I couldn't really see Maya going for...)

Jimmy's field of study = architecture. When Maya first mentioned his having dropped out of grad school, I had to wonder whether his "promising career" had something to do with visual art or design, considering his gift for designing and building Halloween costumes for the wheelchair (the one thing he feels he's particularly good at)... 

Also, great callback to JJ's crush on Emma Watson (after Ray's got a callback in "Valentine's Day"). :D

Interesting how the show finally gets into the nuts-and-bolts of how JJ and Kenneth deal with things like tests, homework, and studying when there's a plot that deals directly with JJ having been caught cheating (similar to how the show didn't really go into the nitty-gritty of the family's day-to-day routine until that routine was about to be upended in "Sick Day"). 

Loved Jimmy and Ray's bond in this episode, though Ray's concern about JJ's future actually surprised me a bit. When I read in the ep's synopsis that his motivation for needing "fast cash" would be revealed after his dad bails him out, I assumed it would involve a more immediate concern like helping his parents pay the bills, doing something nice (but expensive) for a loved one, or having another source of income for the family in case Jimmy got fired / laid off; I also figured Jimmy would end up getting called out for something (like assuming Ray had a purely selfish motive, setting a poor example for his kids by constantly bitching about his job and lack of money in front of them, or taking both his cheapness and his frustration with rude customers to their logical-extreme conclusions by stealing from work). Turned out I was mostly wrong, but I admire the show for going a far less predictable route.

I thought Dylan's own little plot -- inadvertently starting a fashion trend at school -- was kinda silly but cute. The thing that struck me most about it was that she definitely shares her dad's "don't care what others think" attitude. :)

18 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

My DVR cut off just as the history teacher was writing his story in which he said "the young HJ uttered his first words....." 

Then I heard what sounded like Kenneth yelling something.  Somebody help me out please!  What was said at the very end.  Thanks so much!

"YOUR SCRIPT SUCKS!" or something like that. :D

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 3
(edited)

No problem. :) That bit at the end got me laughing so hard. (More Mr. Powers, please!) 

Also, looks like we're in for two weeks of reruns after this -- "Sled Hockey" (another Kenneth/Maya team-up) on 4/12, and "Valentine's Day" on 4/19 -- according to the Futon Critic listings. :\ (On the plus side, that means the last four new episodes of the season are supposed to air 4/26, 5/3, 5/10, and 5/17...) 

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 1

Once again it is like a window to our life.  When our oldest was in elementary school, Mr. Crs spent half the year figuring out how oldest could do all his work independently.  The joke was that I am completely incapable of knowingly writing down a wrong answer;  notes would go back to the school that his homework was perfect, but took us three hours to get there.  We bought oldest an iPad, Mr. Crs taught the teachers the magic that is pdf expert, and no one touches his stuff.  Five years later the school still knows that if something comes home as scribed, they are getting an email or phone call and request for a meeting.

We will have that discussion with our younger kids.  Oldest has hit the age when his classmates have girlfriends and drivers licenses; he is just starting to notice that he is different.  Broke my heart to see JJ's reaction.

Jimmy's story continues to move me, and Dylan is awesome!

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, GRChereck said:
26 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

"YOUR SCRIPT SUCKS!" or something like that. :D

Was it Kenneth?  I don't think so.

13 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I thought Mr. Powers yelled, "Gary!"

Yep; I seem to recall there was a guy at the teachers' meeting who was being obnoxious like that, so that's probably him. :D

• Love 2

I loved Mr. Powers! Is this the first time we've seen him? He's great, I hope we see more of him.

I also loved the callback to JJ's Emma Watson crush, haha. I thought the pyramid scheme thing was a bit of a stretch; that a minor could sign up for one is one thing but that the company was even allowed to have a booth in a school was another. But I know they sometimes do ridiculous things for comedy's sake so I try not to let it bug me. I wasn't expecting Ray (and Dylan) to be concerned with taking care of JJ, at least not yet. I figured Ray's moneymaking obsession was like when he wanted to go to the country club, he has a more refined taste. It was a good turn though, and I liked that they left it on a cliffhanger with an upset JJ going to Kenneth's house. I think this show has been doing a good job of balancing humor and reality.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, omgsowicked said:

I loved Mr. Powers! Is this the first time we've seen him? He's great, I hope we see more of him.

According to IMDB Jonathan Slavin has been in three other episodes: Pilot, Bonfire and Date.

• Love 3

That episode was great. I loved how it handled things - and that they had a discussion about JJ's future. Looking at JJ's search history, Dylan starting a fashion trend, and the return of that teacher - all amazing.

The way Kenneth was scribing for JJ reminded me of a scribe I had once for a standardized test - I think I posted about that scribe in one of the topics here, but they acted just like Kenneth did, without anything really motivating them to do so, like that was with the relationship of JJ & Kenneth (which just made it weird!)

• Love 2

I'm glad I hung in til the end, though it was a close thing; the mispronouncing of "jewelry" drives me crazy. 

Me too!  It's like pronouncing Realtor as 'Real-a-tor', or x-ray as 'x-a-ray.'  Here in the south, you'll hear jewelry pronounced as 'jury'.   Mr. Chat's in the jewl-a-ry(!) business, so we do notice that one quite a bit.

According to IMDB Jonathan Slavin has been in three other episodes: Pilot, Bonfire and Date

I love Jonathan Slavin!  I first saw him in the comedy Better Off Ted, and now he's in the comedy Dr. Ken, starring Ken Jeong.  He's a busy man! 

• Love 4

This episode made me cry. I loved the ending. Loved it. I was already so moved when Ray revealed why he wanted a career with a big salary but when they got home and Jimmy brought up the conversation and laid back Dylan hopped right up with her intense desire to talk about her role in JJ's future, I lost it. I think it's one of those things where parents forget that kids know and see things at a much younger age than the parents tend to realize. Dylan is young but its clearly been weighing on her mind for a while that one day her parents won't be there and JJ will still need someone. I just thought that whole sequence was very powerful. It did break my heart that JJ came home to hear his family having such a serious talk about him and in an ideal situation Maya and Jimmy would have handled it differently but this is their first time trying to have that talk too and I can forgive them for it.

• Love 9
(edited)

Damn, things got real there at the end. This was a pretty perfect episode, just the right combination of comedy and conflict. All the stories worked for me, even if Rays plot didn't totally make sense. I know that, as a minor he couldn't actually sign up for that pyramid scheme, but its a sitcom, so I will let this one slide. I like how it ended, so I'm ok with it.

I am really glad we got some more background on Jimmy, and how much he gave up to help support the family. He seemed a little wistful talking about designing the building, but also like he had made peace with things, and didn't really regret how things turned out.  And seeing how much Dylan and Ray have thought about it, and then seeing JJ realizing what they were talking about, it just got me. Right in the feelings.

It still had lots of laughs though, like Kenneth's jazz brunches, Dylan becoming a style icon by accident (alright, lets all wear blue tomorrow), and Jimmy's party of people he doesn't actually hang out with (drunk guy at the airport I became Facebook friends with).

Minnie Driver really did look nice this week. I liked that hairstyle on her a lot. Not that she doesn't always look good, but she looked especially good this week.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

Another episode where I just want to give every character a hug.

Micah does more with his puppydog eyes in this role than most actors can do with their voices and gestures.

Ray needs to understand that he isn't an adult yet with adult earning power. And neither is J.J. Who knows what their adult potential may be? I'm surprised that no one in the family has come to grips with the reality that J J. now has Kenneth -- and that there will be future Kenneths. All in all, J.J.'s future is not dependent on his family always being there for him.

• Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, omgsowicked said:

I liked that they left it on a cliffhanger with an upset JJ going to Kenneth's house. I think this show has been doing a good job of balancing humor and reality.

It did break my heart that JJ came home to hear his family having such a serious talk about him and in an ideal situation Maya and Jimmy would have handled it differently but this is their first time trying to have that talk too and I can forgive them for it.

I found it a lot more true-to-life than, say, having JJ barge in on his family and getting the whole conversation out in a few neat and tidy minutes. The issues his siblings had raised aren't really things that can be resolved that quickly, plus the door has been left open for the show to touch on them again, either in the next new episode or another time in the near future (maybe JJ could approach his mom about her comment that he overheard, especially after she had just pressed him so hard about earning good grades and getting a good education for a better life).

It still had lots of laughs though, like Kenneth's jazz brunches, Dylan becoming a style icon by accident (alright, lets all wear blue tomorrow), and Jimmy's party of people he doesn't actually hang out with (drunk guy at the airport I became Facebook friends with).

When Kenneth first mentioned the jazz brunch, I thought, "I wonder if he played not the good jazz, but light jazz." (In which case, at least JJ would've enjoyed it.) :D

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Bobbin said:

Ray needs to understand that he isn't an adult yet with adult earning power. And neither is J.J. Who knows what their adult potential may be? I'm surprised that no one in the family has come to grips with the reality that J J. now has Kenneth -- and that there will be future Kenneths. All in all, J.J.'s future is not dependent on his family always being there for him.

My understanding (remembering that the pilot was many months ago) was that Kenneth came through school. Obviously he wasn't the original aid, but getting an aid was part of moving and switching to the school. And the show hasn't been clear about why Kenneth is around at their home so much but the bulk (or all) of his pay should be coming through the school. JJ is 17. School is almost over for him. And while there will be other programs that will get JJ help as he becomes an adult, being able to give JJ everything is going to cost money. And Ray and Dylan love JJ and want him to have everything so they worry. I thought it was incredibly sweet and I do get that you can't know the future. But I don't think it's wrong to have questions. Obviously no one knows the future, but you still have to plan for it.

• Love 4

I have mixed feelings about this episode. I loved Maya calling JJ out on his cheating and slacking off. On the other hand implying that someone as bright as JJ can't be independent. It's 2017 there are accessible apartments and attendant programs designed to help disabled people live on their own. I'm a disabled person and when I was JJ's age I didn't know that I could live on my own I was lucky to find people to educate me and help me become more independent. I hope the show can write an arc like that for JJ.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I have mixed feelings about this episode. I loved Maya calling JJ out on his cheating and slacking off. On the other hand implying that someone as bright as JJ can't be independent. It's 2017 there are accessible apartments and attendant programs designed to help disabled people live on their own. I'm a disabled person and when I was JJ's age I didn't know that I could live on my own I was lucky to find people to educate me and help me become more independent. I hope the show can write an arc like that for JJ.

There are those programs - but they can be difficult to locate (and then get into). I think JJ being part of a program like that would be more of a longterm goal for the DiMeo's - and even if they have that, Maya and Jimmy would need to have things in place.

The severity of JJ's disabilities might be best served in a supportive/group home, where he can have the assistance that he needs.

• Love 1

I think JJ would be miserable in a group home especially if he were with people who weren't as smart as he is. I live in Massachusetts where there is a program called the PCA program which allows people to hire and fire their own attendants. It's paid for by our state's Medicaid. One of JJ's best traits is his desire to be independent. In this episode Maya reminded JJ that he wanted to be challenged in a regular school I think JJ would welcome the challenge of being independent. I can't wait until he turns eighteen then he's a legal adult and Maya won't be able to have all the influence that she has now.

(edited)

Dylan is young but its clearly been weighing on her mind for a while that one day her parents won't be there and JJ will still need someone

And for someone Dylan's age, she probably thinks her parents already have one foot in the grave.  At age 55, I'm a dinosaur to most young people!  Maya & Jimmy are still young, but in the eyes of the young, not so much.

I can't wait until he turns eighteen then he's a legal adult and Maya won't be able to have all the influence that she has now.

As a Mom, I can feel for Maya.  She probably (and rightfully so) thinks that nobody else (outside of family) will be able to help JJ as well as she can.  The reality is  that he will always need help.  That's not to say that he can't have a life away from his parents, but for Maya, that will be a tough transition.  She is just making sure he will be okay.  I've already enjoyed watching as Maya has had to learn to let go of some things since Kenneth came into the picture.  It will be interesting to see how the storyline develops from here.  I felt bad for JJ having heard his family's discussion.  He's made it clear that he doesn't want Ray or Dylan to feel like they have to take care of him, so all of this is difficult on him too, but the conversation is one that eventually had to happen.  Tough situation all the way around.

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I think JJ would be miserable in a group home especially if he were with people who weren't as smart as he is. I live in Massachusetts where there is a program called the PCA program which allows people to hire and fire their own attendants. It's paid for by our state's Medicaid. One of JJ's best traits is his desire to be independent.

I worked at a group home years and years ago. We had folks of all different levels living in apartments with different levels of support. We had about 3 or 4 clients who lived in their own apartments and a caregiver just came over once a day to check in, maybe do meds.  We had some apartments with sleep in staff who were available in the middle of the night but not necessarily "working." We had some apartments with 24 hour awake staff. It just depended on the client's needs. That being said, I think ALL of our clients, including our CP clients, were also intellectually disabled as well, so not on par with JJ's apparent brains. They all did work, depending on their ability. It gave them a great deal of independence.  

21 hours ago, Bobbin said:

All in all, J.J.'s future is not dependent on his family always being there for him.

In some respects it is, though. JJ has the capacity to live an independent life, to a point. That doesn't mean that there won't be people who could take advantage of him and/or abuse him and he alone can't handle that. It isn't like he can easily call 911. At the very least, he needs people to check on him, and his family are going to be the best people to do that for him. 

• Love 2

As parents, I think we hope for the best and prepare for the worst.  I am not going to tell the younger siblings we guarantee that it will all go swimmingly.  Budget cuts in government and other social agencies, changes in insurance, unexpected illnesses related to disability, employment hiccups, new laws or repealing existing laws . . .  

IMO, there was nothing wrong with Maya saying it may not be realistic to think JJ can live alone; it doesn't mean they aren't trying to prepare him to do so.  The only problem was not talking to JJ first, but sometimes the moment for a tough conversation just presents itself and you are stuck with the consequences.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Crs97 said:

IMO, there was nothing wrong with Maya saying it may not be realistic to think JJ can live alone; it doesn't mean they aren't trying to prepare him to do so.

Since it seems likely that JJ will always need help with eating, bathing, dressing and toileting, would he even think that he could live completely alone?

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

The only problem was not talking to JJ first, but sometimes the moment for a tough conversation just presents itself and you are stuck with the consequences.

That's the impression I got; Jimmy was totally blindsided when Ray first brought the matter up in the car (when he had simply wanted to answer his son's accusation of lacking "drive"). Still, in the family-conversation scene that followed, the very first line was Jimmy asking if JJ was home, so I think he definitely would have included JJ in the talk -- except that JJ came home and then left again without his family seeing him (nor him telling them). I suppose Jimmy could've kept quiet and waited for JJ, but apparently he felt it was important to tell Maya right away that the issue of JJ's future -- something the couple had likely never thought of themselves because they've been so wrapped up in trying to meet their kids' present needs -- had been brought up at all, plus this is really the first time Ray and Dylan have had a chance to open up about their worries / fears for their brother, and I imagine they might have felt they would only make JJ worried and fearful too if they talked about this stuff to him without yet having any sort of reassurance from their parents. 

10 hours ago, bros402 said:

There are those programs - but they can be difficult to locate (and then get into). I think JJ being part of a program like that would be more of a longterm goal for the DiMeo's - and even if they have that, Maya and Jimmy would need to have things in place.

3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

As a Mom, I can feel for Maya.  She probably (and rightfully so) thinks that nobody else (outside of family) will be able to help JJ as well as she can.  The reality is  that he will always need help.  That's not to say that he can't have a life away from his parents, but for Maya, that will be a tough transition.  She is just making sure he will be okay.

Both Maya and Jimmy must have been so overwhelmed by these questions finally being raised (and probably felt at least a little awful for having focused so much on the day-to-day for so long without considering the future)... :( But I think it's good that they were brought up now -- the sooner the family starts having these conversations (preferably with JJ after this), the sooner they can start looking into answers, possibilities and plans for JJ's care. 

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GRChereck said:

2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

The only problem was not talking to JJ first, but sometimes the moment for a tough conversation just presents itself and you are stuck with the consequences.

That's the impression I got; Jimmy was totally blindsided when Ray first brought the matter up in the car (when he had simply wanted to answer his son's accusation of lacking "drive"). Still, in the family-conversation scene that followed, the very first line was Jimmy asking if JJ was home, so I think he definitely would have included JJ in the talk -- except that JJ came home and then left again without his family seeing him (nor him telling them).

I got the opposite impression. Jimmy wanted to talk to the kids without JJ around so they could speak frankly.

• Love 6

I honestly really liked that Maya immediately held JJ responsible for cheating. She didn't coddle him or blame the teachers. She knows his intelligence and pushed him to try. Kenneth's longing for academic success was hilarious as well!

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I got the opposite impression. Jimmy wanted to talk to the kids without JJ around so they could speak frankly.

OK, that definitely makes more sense -- with JJ not around, the rest of the family could get all their feelings / fears / worries off their chests without having to be careful about their choices of words not upsetting or outright scaring him.

Though we didn't get to hear the rest of the conversation I'd like to think they immediately started trying to figure out how to address JJ directly about his future in a more hopeful and helpful, less alarmist / overwhelming way. (Of course, when JJ went to Kenneth's and said "we need to talk," we don't know yet what either character said after that, but I'd like to think it'll come up next time his parents talk with him.)

Edited by GRChereck
typo
  • Love 1
(edited)

One thing I noticed about the Ray/Jimmy plot was how its structure was almost directly parallel to their last one, way back in 1x3 ("Bonfire"):

1) How Jimmy was willing to go above and beyond for Ray (cleaning house and throwing out his beloved junk so Ray could bring friends home -- a decision he made on his own after having seen Ray with Jillian -- and throwing together that jewelry party so Ray wouldn't be on the hook for unsold product); 

2) How they simply expressed their opposing attitudes ("why do you care so much what other people think?" / "why DON'T you?!" and "stop caring so much about money" / "you could stand to care about it more"); and

3) How Jimmy opened up to Ray to give him a better understanding of where he's coming from (how the impact of JJ's CP diagnosis led to his whole "we're bulletproof" philosophy, and how JJ's birth caused him to redirect his early career drive -- "family beat windows"), yet also ultimately came around to Ray's viewpoint ("that shame thing, I'm getting it," and taking Ray's concerns about JJ seriously as soon as he was made aware of them).

But unlike the earlier one -- a self-contained subplot in which what could've been a regular character quirk (Jimmy's trash collection) was quickly dropped -- the newer one tied in beautifully with the Maya / JJ / Kenneth main plot and ultimately involved the whole family in what may well be the beginning of a potentially poignant ongoing plot thread. :)

Edited by GRChereck
additional thoughts
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I think JJ would be miserable in a group home especially if he were with people who weren't as smart as he is. I live in Massachusetts where there is a program called the PCA program which allows people to hire and fire their own attendants. It's paid for by our state's Medicaid. One of JJ's best traits is his desire to be independent. In this episode Maya reminded JJ that he wanted to be challenged in a regular school I think JJ would welcome the challenge of being independent. I can't wait until he turns eighteen then he's a legal adult and Maya won't be able to have all the influence that she has now.

Those programs usually have limits for hours a week provided. JJ does need assistance with activities of daily living - he needs help with using the bathroom (And bathing, I imagine) - right now, when Kenneth isn't around, I imagine his parents and siblings help him, but when they are older, a person in that situation would need someone there all the time, not saying they'd have to be doing stuff all the time, but just in case.

Not saying a group home like a nursing home, but more what @joanne3482 was saying - a supportive environment.

When he turns 18, if he is still in school - Maya can still have the same influence - in some places, the child hasn't reached the age of majority until the end of the school year that they turn 18 - at least in terms of IEPs (which I assume JJ has).

But I imagine JJ values Maya's advice, but would be happy that her word isn't law - and would involve her (and Jimmy, I imagine) in decisionmaking.

• Love 2

This whole issue of independence is especially poignant for me this week. My disabled 12 year old got VERY ill, for the first time since he was a toddler, and 2 weeks in, I collapsed with a flu (which I never get). And it was frightening...I AM his only 24/7 caregiver, and I'm a single mom. And when he was under the weather, he would get so anxious at his loss of vision, that he would grab at my hair and pull it. He nearly bit my face several times. 

The future is something that I ALWAYS have on my mind- as well as my folks who are in their 70s, but I had to rely on them when I couldn't move. 

When Ray admitted at the end why he was concerned about money, I really didn't see that coming. Pulled right at the heartstrings. I'm also always looking for extra ways to work and to squirrel away money for my kid. My parents do too.

i enjoyed Dylan's subplot. It's nice to see a young woman so self assured and not in need of fashion or boys to identify herself. 

• Love 5

Though we didn't get to hear the rest of the conversation I'd like to think they immediately started trying to figure out how to address JJ directly about his future in a more hopeful and helpful, less alarmist / overwhelming way

It makes me wonder how much JJ has thought about the same thing, and what he wishes for.   He got a boost of confidence from Maya when he realized he could do the work on his own, and from the pep talk she gave him about doing great things in the future.  Then he comes home and hears that his family expects him never to be able to live on his own.  That had to be very jarring.  Of course,  that depends on what JJ's expectations are.   Even if he is able to live a somewhat independent life, his siblings want to be part of  his life and seem willing to do their part in every way possible.  Sometimes parents don't realize that younger siblings do think about these things. 

Hugs to you, neuromom.  I hope you are feeling better. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Get well soon, neuromom! 

43 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It makes me wonder how much JJ has thought about the same thing, and what he wishes for.   He got a boost of confidence from Maya when he realized he could do the work on his own, and from the pep talk she gave him about doing great things in the future.  Then he comes home and hears that his family expects him never to be able to live on his own.  That had to be very jarring.  Of course,  that depends on what JJ's expectations are.

One thing I really hope is that when the rest of the family is ready to have the conversation with him, they will ask him those questions, and for any other sort of input he might have. :) 

I just read on Futon Critic that the title of the next episode (1x20) is supposed to be "R-U-N--Runaway" (the synopsis should be posted sometime Monday or Tuesday); I'm assuming it just has to do with JJ's having run off to Kenneth's place without his family knowing...

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 2

Loved this week's episode! JJ going to Kenneth's place??! Yes! Could we possibly be going inside Kenneth's jazzy home & finding out who the hell this caregiver is?? He's the heart of this show. Who is this guy who actually works a second job at a grocery store to care for this kid? I've been wanting a "Kenneth backstory" episode for a long time. I hope we get one this season

I also noticed unfortunately that next week's episode is a repeat of SLED HOCKEY!? Assuming that this episode is a two parter, this is horrible planning by ABC to give us a re-run after an episode like this. Are they going to make us wait 2 more weeks after part 1???

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, pajamamama said:

Loved this week's episode! JJ going to Kenneth's place??! Yes! Could we possibly be going inside Kenneth's jazzy home & finding out who the hell this caregiver is?? He's the heart of this show. Who is this guy who actually works a second job at a grocery store to care for this kid? I've been wanting a "Kenneth backstory" episode for a long time. I hope we get one this season

Me, too. :) We got a little bit in "Thanksgiving" (he has a sister, and their dad is/was a Colonel), "Road Trip" (he moved around a lot as a kid), and "Sick Day" (his aunt owned a beauty parlor where he helped out sometimes) -- plus he's been to college ("Ray-cation") and is twice-divorced ("Date?" and "Surprise!") -- but yeah, I agree having an episode partially set in Kenneth's home could be the best opportunity we've had yet to get to know him better.

1 hour ago, pajamamama said:

I also noticed unfortunately that next week's episode is a repeat of SLED HOCKEY!? Assuming that this episode is a two parter, this is horrible planning by ABC to give us a re-run after an episode like this. Are they going to make us wait 2 more weeks after part 1???

Yup, "Runaway" doesn't air until 4/26 :( -- as close to the "May sweeps" period as possible, so the other remaining 3 can air during sweeps themselves, plus all 4 can air with no weeks off in-between (something we haven't had since the beginning of the season; we've otherwise usually gotten only 2 or 3 in a row, though I seem to recall that "Halloween," like "Cheater," was a single ep sandwiched between breaks).

Edited by GRChereck
2 hours ago, GRChereck said:

He got a boost of confidence from Maya when he realized he could do the work on his own, and from the pep talk she gave him about doing great things in the future.  Then he comes home and hears that his family expects him never to be able to live on his own

I hope someone explains that the two things are not mutually exclusive.  And what Maya said was that his living on his own might not be realistic, which is different from "nope, never going to happen."

This is a small nitpick that bothered me slightly, but I was surprised he could get to Kenneth's front door and right into his house.  Most houses I know have a front step or lip that would be hard to cross in a wheelchair without help.

• Love 2

I hope someone explains that the two things are not mutually exclusive.  And what Maya said was that his living on his own might not be realistic, which is different from "nope, never going to happen."

Unfortunately, JJ entered the room at the worst possible time.  He didn't have any context as to why they were discussing his future.  It probably made him feel like a burden, which was not their intent.  The conversation came out of concern for him.  That's a tough issue all the way around.

This is a small nitpick that bothered me slightly, but I was surprised he could get to Kenneth's front door and right into his house.  Most houses I know have a front step or lip that would be hard to cross in a wheelchair without help.

I'm not sure how he got back out of the house in the first place.  Maya is an all-knowing, all-seeing kind of Mom!  For her not to hear him was not realistic, IMO.  Having said that though, I'll look past some of these little implausible scenes because the show is just that damn good!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I'm not sure how he got back out of the house in the first place.  Maya is an all-knowing, all-seeing kind of Mom!  For her not to hear him was not realistic, IMO.  Having said that though, I'll look past some of these little implausible scenes because the show is just that damn good!

I am guessing that the door is slow to close (so it hadn't closed yet) - or maybe it is easier to open from the inside. I think we can forgive Maya for not noticing because that was a *big* conversation.

She was also probably expecting Kenneth to bring JJ in and be like "Okay, bye DiMeo's! See you tomorrow!" so they would have a few seconds of warning so they could stop the conversation for a minute, then involve JJ in it. JJ is probably viewing it as his family deciding his life for him without letting him have a say in it - despite Maya championing his independence.

Did all of you see the AV Club's review of this episode (First episode that they have reviewed!) - it was very good, and we've been having great discussions about the show in the comments section. John Ross Bowie loved their review (and the comments section) so much, that he tweeted it out, even saying that the comments are great! (Here's the tweet, which links to the review) 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, bros402 said:

Did all of you see the AV Club's review of this episode (First episode that they have reviewed!) - it was very good, and we've been having great discussions about the show in the comments section. John Ross Bowie loved their review (and the comments section) so much, that he tweeted it out, even saying that the comments are great!

Aww, I thought that was so sweet of him! :)

23 hours ago, pajamamama said:

Kenneth isn't the heart of the show JJ is. Speechless is different from every other sit coms because of his perspective.

9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Kenneth isn't the heart of the show JJ is. Speechless is different from every other sit coms because of his perspective.

That's why I loved that episode where JJ went to the mall - it let the viewers sort of get a glimpse into things that they take for granted - things that might be difficult for some people with disabilities.

I once had to tell a college professor that I could not drive because of my disabilities, so I couldn't bring in a milk crate that she *demanded* had to be brought in (She wanted us to put her handouts in it to keep at home), she yelled at me to get one of my parents to take off work and drive me to campus with it.

• Love 1
On 4/10/2017 at 2:07 AM, bros402 said:

That's why I loved that episode where JJ went to the mall - it let the viewers sort of get a glimpse into things that they take for granted - things that might be difficult for some people with disabilities.

I once had to tell a college professor that I could not drive because of my disabilities, so I couldn't bring in a milk crate that she *demanded* had to be brought in (She wanted us to put her handouts in it to keep at home), she yelled at me to get one of my parents to take off work and drive me to campus with it.

Dang. :( While this show may be doing a lot to open some hearts and minds to the disabled experience, that professor sounds like a pretty hopeless case.

One more observation I had about this episode...

I noticed that between this and the previous one ("Ding"), two episodes in a row have had Ray assuming the worst about one of his parents -- Maya dinged the other car and kept lying about it, Jimmy has never had any career ambition or drive to be a better provider -- only to get schooled in some way on the importance of family: lessons in loyalty and how he should treat his mom with at least as much trust and respect as he would show anybody else, and learning that his dad had chosen to support his wife and first child right when they needed him rather than gamble on wherever a career in architecture might have taken him after grad school.

I wonder if that was intentional -- especially since I found Ray at his most insufferably self-righteous in "Ding" (particularly when he was still willing to throw Maya under the proverbial bus no matter how much trouble he thought she was getting into with that other lady), while "Cheater" ended up redeeming him big-time by revealing the depths of his love and concern for his brother. :)

Edited by GRChereck
2 hours ago, GRChereck said:

Dang. :( While this show may be doing a lot to open some hearts and minds to the disabled experience, that professor sounds like a pretty hopeless case.

One more observation I had about this episode...

I noticed that between this and the previous one ("Ding"), two episodes in a row have had Ray assuming the worst about one of his parents -- Maya dinged the other car and kept lying about it, Jimmy has never had any career ambition or drive to be a better provider -- only to get schooled in some way on the importance of family: lessons in loyalty and how he should treat his mom with at least as much trust and respect as he would show anybody else, and learning that his dad had chosen to support his wife and first child right when they needed him rather than gamble on wherever a career in architecture might have taken him after grad school.

I wonder if that was intentional -- especially since I found Ray at his most insufferably self-righteous in "Ding" (particularly when he was still willing to throw Maya under the proverbial bus no matter how much trouble he thought she was getting into with that other lady), while "Cheater" ended up redeeming him big-time by revealing the depths of his love and concern for his brother. :)

I filed a complaint against her with the university, they determined that she did not commit acts that were discriminatory under the law, but she was required to take sensitivity courses. It also led to the learning disability services office (Yep, a separate office, for some reason - was a professor's pet project) being eliminated and rolled into the disability services office (So no more need for students with LDs to coordinate every single thing with two different offices!).

I think it was intentional to show how Ray's thinks. You get to see how he views the family and his role in it. He wants to succeed, but he wants to succeed with a purpose in mind.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, bros402 said:

I filed a complaint against her with the university, they determined that she did not commit acts that were discriminatory under the law, but she was required to take sensitivity courses. It also led to the learning disability services office (Yep, a separate office, for some reason - was a professor's pet project) being eliminated and rolled into the disability services office (So no more need for students with LDs to coordinate every single thing with two different offices!).

Too bad about the professor not getting fired, but it sounds like you helped make a difference. :)

14 hours ago, bros402 said:

I think it was intentional to show how Ray's thinks. You get to see how he views the family and his role in it. He wants to succeed, but he wants to succeed with a purpose in mind.

Good point. A lot of this season (especially the latter half) has been about his learning curve -- if "Ding" took his image-consciousness* to a real low-point with his family (in taking it upon himself to call out his mom's antics once and for all, he ended up humiliating himself and causing way more property damage than a mere dent in a car), "Cheater" was about his turn-around, even if it meant inadvertently insulting his dad first (calling the trunk show / jewelry party "the most amazing thing you've ever done in your life" and "the one thing you're good at," questioning his choice of job and seeming lack of ambition) to finally learn about Jimmy's former career (in turn, prompting Ray to reveal the deepest roots of his fixation on money). It'll be interesting to see how Ray views his parents after this...

(* - the one thing that really seems to set him apart from his parents and siblings)

Edited by GRChereck