Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Home Oklahoma - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well, at least I enjoyed this episode more than the last one.  The reason why Sweet Home Oklahoma was so great was because of the interactions of the cast.  We had a little more of this on this episode.  The problem for me is that they changed the focus to Jenn's design business.  It's too much focus on design rather what so many  loved about the first season.

I'm not into Jenn's design staff.  Is her project manager (whose name I can't remember) just hired to play a part because she really doesn't seem to know what she's doing.  I do like the movers.

It's too bad that Jenn and Lee had a falling out.

Jenn may have replaced a grey couch with a grey couch, etc.  but she did replace the urine infested furniture.  I did like the pink chairs.

On 11/10/2018 at 11:09 AM, Duke2801 said:

LOL who is this “Lynn” person? Her name is Lee! I don’t think anybody really knows exactly why she fell out with Jen. It’s not been discussed publicly by any of the ladies.

I don’t mind the new show, but - based on these first 2 shows - it’s no longer “must see tv” the way that the first season was. I still adore the heck out of Pumps, and any scene with her is great. But the scenes with  Jen and her assistants are just “eh.”  Her extreme Type A personality might entertain some people, but it seems a bit grating to me—and would drive me absolutely NUTS in real life.

A commenter on Reddit says that her sister is a designer in the area and has worked with Jen professionally on some projects. Apparently she’s gotten a really big head from her success on tv and thinks she’s “all that” now. I guess she didn’t even bother showing up for more recent projects that they were supposed to do together. So that knowledge might be coloring my perception of her on the show somewhat. And perhaps could be one of the reasons that Jen and Lee are no longer friends (just speculating). 

But she has met Pumps (and Tubber) and says they are both awesome. Pumps IRL is apparently exactly how she is on tv. 

I am not interested in watching the show, but did read an online article about Jenn. She says she will not take on a client unless they have at least a $100k budget. She does sound quite full of herself.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Pickles said:

I am not interested in watching the show, but did read an online article about Jenn. She says she will not take on a client unless they have at least a $100k budget. She does sound quite full of herself.

Well, if she has developed her business and reputation to allow those perameters, bully for her!  I haven't seen anything that seems extraordinary, but eye of the beholder and all that.

9 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Well, if she has developed her business and reputation to allow those perameters, bully for her!  I haven't seen anything that seems extraordinary, but eye of the beholder and all that.

Tacky is her style and her employees are boring.

• Love 2

Help me out here....when did "throw pillows" become "toss pillows"?

That project manager chick has GOT to be hired just for the show.  A person working with clients in a design firm should know how to measure rooms.  It isn't that hard.  And I hate that either she or another one of the young employees is named "Alexa" because every time they use her name my Fire goes nuts and tries to Google whatever they're saying. 

• Love 2
On 11/17/2018 at 10:20 AM, Pickles said:

Linky?

2 hours ago, Lizzing said:

Help me out here....when did "throw pillows" become "toss pillows"?

.  And I hate that either she or another one of the young employees is named "Alexa" because every time they use her name my Fire goes nuts and tries to Google whatever they're saying. 

I don’t mean to belittle your distress, but that has got to be one of the current top three

#21stcenturyproblems

8-D

As to throw pillows—y'know, I started calling them “toss pillows” a couple years ago & I can’t remember why!

#oldbroadmysteries 8-D

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 2

So Tubbers is pampered and allowed to amble all over clients' new furnishings, but Pumps' two dogs are relegated to the hot Oklahoma sun full time? Let's hope Jenn was just being a smart ass when she said they'd been banished outside. And that Pumps house-trains her dogs if she hasn't already. I hope I don't see an animal shelter in her dogs' future.

I like that Jenn uses color, but the useless assistant continues to annoy, and Jenn's repeated references to her brand are also annoying. This show is nothing more than an infomercial for Jenn. Pumps is supposed to fool us into thinking otherwise.

Sigh. Bitterly disappointed.

• Love 4

I'm so disappointed with this new format. I wanted to love it as much as I loved SHO, but this version of the show feels so awkward and clunky. So we're following Jen's adventures in interior design and occasionally have Pumps shoehorned into the episode?  To echo what some others have said, the interior design stuff gets boring and the assistants are too bland. Even the dim one that they're trying to turn into a star isn't interesting enough. Pumps is amazing and I'm basically tuning in for her brief appearances. When SHO was on, I never missed an episode but with this one, I went two weeks forgetting it was even on and got caught up this morning. 

• Love 4

I really liked how Jenn handled Sabah’s mistakes. The first one she reminded them all that they should have an updated spreadsheet where the location of everything for the install was but then complimented Sabah when she tracked down the rugs and got them there quickly, the second one when she was beating herself up, she took her aside away from the other employees and said it was okay and these things happen and will happen and she had done worse, etc. The contrast with her management style and Jeff Lewis’s is crazy! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8

I think I'm out. Even Tubbers and Pumps can't save this mess. Designers lose me when they start in with "the branches work back to the wallpaper" - explained three times. Also, I counted at least four references to Jennifer Welch Design. And now she's selling candles. 

• Love 2

If Jen is working hard to pimp her business, she's doing what all of the Bravolebrities do.  She is a great interior designer.  If she took on "cheaper" projects for the sake of the show, it would be interesting to see what she could do but she's clearly out for the big bucks. 

Tubbers is cute and all, but I do not care to see him putting his butt on the clients' brand new furniture as Jen takes Instagram photos.  Can't imagine her clientele being happy with that.

Love Pumps.  Josh is a sweet guy but it's clear that Jen wears the pants in the family.

Alex is a dummy and it's not cute or endearing.  More like cringeworthy.

Edited by Jets4274
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Jets4274 said:

Can't imagine her clientele being happy with that.

The judge seemed to be fine with it. She also uses the pictures to promote her business so I imagine her clients know and gave their permission.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Jets4274 said:

Alex is a dummy and it's not cute or endearing.  More like cringeworthy.

Yeah, I’m not loving the “I’m a moron” vibe from her. 

Jenn did handle Sabah’s screw up well. We’ve all been in Sabah’s spot and I thought Jenn’s approach was tactful and helpful.

That handpainted wallpaper was a masterpiece. 

I love Tubbers but I cringe when I see him all around these houses and on the furniture. As the mom of a very territorial male Pomeranian, he would be trying to mark anywhere he smelled another male dog. Just what I would want to be dealing with in a brand new house I paid a small fortune to decorate! 

How do we get Bravo to give us a show with Pumps and Cool Kay? 

• Love 4

Yeah, it's a step down from SHO.  That show had a much better vibe.  And having the focus on Pumps, Jenn and her ex was more interesting than Jenn's design business.

Tubbers doesn't bother me at the houses.  He seems to be well trained and not territorial.  Pump's dogs are a different situation.   As can be seen by Pump's living room last week.

• Love 1

Went ahead and watched the one with the millennials — correction: I watched the scenes with Pumps. And those scenes were fun. Kay is a good other-Lee. And when they interview a local and the local is not shown to be stupid or ridiculous, that’s fun.  As was the guy who eats beef for his teeth.  Hee.

But the rest of it? Could be edited down & the truly interesting bits fitted in-between the scenes with Pumps in them,  & a local or 2. This is not a 60-minute (less ads) show. 

Too bad. I can’t see it continuing for another season. Too derivative, too bland &, well, kinda edgy & poking & bony, like Hard Jen. And I like Jen!—-but not as the show’s tentpole. 

• Love 2

The littlest girl happy reaction to her bedroom looking Iike a bland upscale hotel chain was amusing. That said I did think Jen’s philosophy about keeping things neutral/classic and then letting the kids go crazy with posters and accessories was smart and surprisingly “economical”.

I want to know what the architect was thinking when he designed that bar space in the first place it seemed like a stupid idea from the start and it was a new build he designed it.

I hope Kyle Bunting gives Jenn a good discount because it’s probably one of the few product placement things on these shows that I have ever actually wanted!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
On 11/29/2018 at 1:35 AM, ashley said:

Jenn did handle Sabah’s screw up well. We’ve all been in Sabah’s spot and I thought Jenn’s approach was tactful and helpful.

That handpainted wallpaper was a masterpiece. 

I honestly expected Jenn to have a Jeff Lewis-esque reaction in regards to Sabah's screwup, but I'm happy it was the opposite.

That wallpaper is divine and way out of my price range.

I know the focus of show is Jenn's design business but my favorite scenes are Pumps related.

Edited by NotChristine
  • Love 4

This show definitely needs Lee and Pumps friend (blond that is hilariously obnoxious as Pumps).  The designs are just boring and look like pages from Ballard Designs/Restoration Hardware/Frontgate-Grandin Road.  The first few pages are interesting but everything starts to look alike after awhile.    

• Love 2
23 hours ago, mytmo said:

This show definitely needs Lee and Pumps friend (blond that is hilariously obnoxious as Pumps).  The designs are just boring and look like pages from Ballard Designs/Restoration Hardware/Frontgate-Grandin Road.  The first few pages are interesting but everything starts to look alike after awhile.    

Finally went to her website. Almost every photo in the portfolio gave me a sense of disorientation. Not sure why. Maybe too many lines and too little color, combined with lac of focal point?   She wouldn’t be my choice if I had the money for her services.  

On 11/3/2018 at 12:02 AM, scenicbyway said:

If I had just spent millions on a renovation I sure wouldn’t have wanted my designer’s dog sitting on my new furniture.  Seriously?

I completely agree!  I am terribly allergic to dog dander and frankly - NOW DON'T HATE ON ME - I don't like dogs.  I think owners should take care of them and I wouldn't want to see one hurt but......................I dislike when owners think they are people.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:46 AM, Lizzing said:

And I hate that either she or another one of the young employees is named "Alexa" because every time they use her name my Fire goes nuts and tries to Google whatever they're saying. 

This statement was hilarious.  Reason 234 of why not to get one.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Whose? Jen’s?

i forgot to DVR it. (I can’t watch it unless I have the FF option to get to the parts with Pumps.)

Yes. I was just flipping and Jen is redoing a house for her parents. 

Whomever it was that had the bright idea to reconfigure this show, should be demoted to key grip.  I watched the bulk of episode #1, and that was enough.  Too bad.  It had a cool vibe before they ruined it.  Now it's forced and unfunny and uninteresting.  It hard to know if it would have had the success of the original season without the third person's involvement, but seems like they could have found a replacement somewhere.  Surely these women had more than one additional friend.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Surely these women had more than one additional friend.

I am pretty sure the original show was never going to come back regardless of the falling out but than a Bravo exec decided to rework the show to fit in with their new home programs (there were a few of Jen and Josh’s IGstories that sort of touched on this) so it was this or nothing.

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I am pretty sure the original show was never going to come back regardless of the falling out but than a Bravo exec decided to rework the show to fit in with their new home programs (there were a few of Jen and Josh’s IGstories that sort of touched on this) so it was this or nothing.

Can’t imagine why they wouldn’t have tried a second season with Jen, Pumps and a New #3 — guess bravo thinks spite & fights and tired plotsxwith harried designers sells air time better than just general goofiness among, y’know, actual friends.

I FF’ed thru everything but the few scenes with Pumps. Even those were flat.

Good night, Sweet Former Princess of a show.   I wish I hadn’t erased the S1 episodes from my DVR. Who knew? 

• Love 1
Just now, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Can’t imagine why they wouldn’t have tried a second season with Jen, Pumps and a New #3 — guess bravo thinks spite & fights and tired plotsxwith harried designers sells air time better than just general goofiness among, y’know, actual friends.

Because the ratings weren’t good.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:52 AM, tabloidlover said:

Lol, no I don’t know them personally (I wish!)  They no longer follow each other on social media.  In a private fb group, it was said that it was due to alcohol.   Not sure how true that part is. 

Who was the drinker?

On 12/5/2018 at 8:27 AM, mytmo said:

I like the cast.  I liked Lee last season, too, but she wasn't naturally funny.  It was sort of uncomfortable watching her try to keep up with Pumps.

Pumps' friend is hysterical.

I'm so bored with design shows and its one of the reasons I liked last season better.  I've been turning in to Get a Room with Carson and Thom and I'm finding the same thing over there.  I love the two guys but the design part makes me yawn.

Jenn, Thom, and even Carson are good designers, I think, but it all seems so flat in a world with so many design shows.

• Love 4

I really like Jennifer's style and the way she dresses.  Anyone recognize where any of her blouses are from?

So Josh got coolsculpting?  How'd you pay for that, friend?

They've been calling Alexa  "Alex", which is easier on my Amazon Echo, and probably fine b/c she doesn't know what most words mean.

I've never heard her called anything other than Alex. Is her name Alexa?

I guess I'm the sole enjoyer, but I like the show. I like Jennifer a lot. I don't always get her taste, but I find her humor very relatable and there's something very soothing about her voice. 

Her mother looked like a plastic surgery nightmare. I hope Jen learns from that!

• Love 1
On 12/18/2018 at 2:09 PM, ghoulina said:

I guess I'm the sole enjoyer, but I like the show. I like Jennifer a lot. I don't always get her taste, but I find her humor very relatable and there's something very soothing about her voice. 

I enjoy it as much as shows like HH.  Are we going to discuss the elephant in the renovation?  The large, fake ivy wall 6 inches from one side of the 3 sided glass cube?  I bet that is the only way they were able to get historical commission sign off.  But is looked weird and it destroyed the objective of a glass cube.  Oh and the fact that the first thing said was sun filter on the top of the cube?  So maybe better to build a room with 2 glass walls?  And was I mistaken or did the contractor forget to install a roof cap of glass and copper?  Is anyone going to discuss how much water is now under the wood paneling?  Is it going to be removed, insulation dried out and replaced?

They must think we’re all pretty stupid.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

I enjoy it as much as shows like HH.  Are we going to discuss the elephant in the renovation?  The large, fake ivy wall 6 inches from one side of the 3 sided glass cube?  I bet that is the only way they were able to get historical commission sign off.  But is looked weird and it destroyed the objective of a glass cube.  Oh and the fact that the first thing said was sun filter on the top of the cube?  So maybe better to build a room with 2 glass walls?  And was I mistaken or did the contractor forget to install a roof cap of glass and copper?  Is anyone going to discuss how much water is now under the wood paneling?  Is it going to be removed, insulation dried out and replaced?

They must think we’re all pretty stupid.

WTW??!! Now I’m wishing I’d DVR’ed it to see  all this mess!!!!  LOL