Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Home Oklahoma - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I loved it until the gay pride parade and that is because I thought here we go again with another Bravo group shouting and being obnoxious on how they love the gays.  Sure go and support but do we really need to be this over the top?

Edited by mytmo
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, Box305 said:

10 year HS reunion? Just curious if y'all are my age. :) 

Yes!  We graduated in '92.    Our birthdays are a week apart and will both be 43 next month.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, lilmarysunshine said:

Gave it another shot and still feel the same - they just try way too hard for me and they are too impressed by themselves and their wit. 

I'll show myself out. 

I am with you on this.  I have tried and I just don't think they are funny or clever. It all seems so contrived. I'm a Texan and don't live too far from OKC but I think my friends are much funnier and more original than this group. YMMV

• Love 2
14 hours ago, lilmarysunshine said:

they just try way too hard for me and they are too impressed by themselves and their wit. 

See - this is what rings a bell for me.  My BFF and I are ON FIRE when we get on a riff & entertain each other and ourselves with our questionable witticisms.  We constantly try, and often do, crack each other up and dissolve into fits of giggles, with not a thought nor a care how others might perceive our easy banter.   Our best laughs don't translate easily to the page (or screen, I'd assume), but I can evoke the same feeling thinking about them years later - and could see myself doing so while recounting said moments to a third person.

Sure, there's probably stuff being played up for the cameras, but I have no problem believing these people genuinely LIKE each other, and amuse themselves and each other off camera as well.  That's rare on reality teevee.

Oh, and SUCK IT, Vicky (O)G.  OK is way more than OK.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, raiderred1 said:

I am with you on this.  I have tried and I just don't think they are funny or clever. It all seems so contrived. I'm a Texan and don't live too far from OKC but I think my friends are much funnier and more original than this group. YMMV

I am from Texas, too. And part of it is I sort of resent the underlying theme that they are sort of outliers and Oklahoma and the South, in general, are not all bad and backwards because .... LOOK! (Though I do like the segments with regular people from OK.)

Edited by lilmarysunshine
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Marcya23 said:

Yes!  We graduated in '92.    Our birthdays are a week apart and will both be 43 next month.

Nice! Me too! August 26. We're having our 25th HS reunion in October. 

Edited by Box305
  • Love 2

Poor Blaze.  You're in a home with people who know nothing about Northern breeds.  But they love you and that means a lot.

Blaze destroys things because....he's bored.  It's a classic problem.  Take him for at least an hour walk in the morning, put some roller blades on your kids, just get this highly active breed, ACTIVE!

I like him more than Tubbers. Probably due to Jennifer.  And well, look at my avatar.  Jennifer is just jealous.  Hee! 

And I'm also not on board with people using their pet as a service dog when it's not.  Not fair to the legit service dogs and the people who really do need them.

• Love 5
On 7/19/2017 at 3:53 PM, lilmarysunshine said:

I am from Texas, too. And part of it is I sort of resent the underlying theme that they are sort of outliers and Oklahoma and the South, in general, are not all bad and backwards because .... LOOK! (Though I do like the segments with regular people from OK.)

LMS, YES!  This is exactly how I feel about the underlying theme.  We aren't all super conservative in the south.  I am only conservative when it comes to fiscal situations but I am very liberal when it comes to social issues, I actually consider myself a libertarian.  BTW, I also love the random interviews with local Okies.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, raiderred1 said:

LMS, YES!  This is exactly how I feel about the underlying theme.  We aren't all super conservative in the south.  I am only conservative when it comes to fiscal situations but I am very liberal when it comes to social issues, I actually consider myself a libertarian.  BTW, I also love the random interviews with local Okies.

Well.... I am pretty conservative in most ways but also lean Libertarian. lol. But I obviously don't think conservative means backwards or is a dirty word. I guarantee my kids go to more diverse schools here in the redneck South than in many other parts of the country. Their elementary school is a Title 1 school with ethnicities that "look like America" and also includes gay families active in the school. 

• Love 5
On 7/22/2017 at 4:34 PM, raiderred1 said:

ditto, ditto!

i didn't find it boring.  i loved josh's photographs of the boys & tubbers

• Love 1
(edited)

On a personal note, the place where Jenny and Pumps went for their "couples" massage is where I get my hair done (appointment this Friday).  I believe they filmed on a Sunday when it was technically closed.  And, FWIW, I've never seen the massage tables set up in the open like that. I'm sure it was for filming.  I know it's dumb, but fun to see my places on tv. 

Edited by Marcya23
forgot to add...
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Marcya23 said:

nd, FWIW, I've never seen the massage tables set up in the open like that. I'm sure it was for filming.

Thanks because I know they were covered by the sheets but I was thinking I would never get naked in the middle of a huge soon in a strip mall with huge windows!

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Thanks because I know they were covered by the sheets but I was thinking I would never get naked in the middle of a huge soon in a strip mall with huge windows!

Even worse, it's actually sandwiched between a popular restaurant and an outdoor beer garden just north of downtown.  So lots of foot traffic!

• Love 1

I loved the skating party!  I SO want to do something like that for an upcoming birthday (first I need to find out if any skating rinks still exist around here though!)  Pumps was cracking me up with her swearing up and down that they said 80s party --- and then they rolled the footage!! (although part of me WAS thinking maybe they DID say "80s" just to trick her again). 

Jennifer really did look awesome in her outfit with her Farrah hair and high-waisted jeans.  If Iooked as good as she did in them, I think I'd try to get them to make a comeback!

• Love 6

So sad this is already over. What a funny show. I love all 3 women, they seem real and are very fun together. I about died laughing then Pumps used that ridiculous rock-paper-scissors method to determine who would do a chore, and somehow her oldest son got shafted. She is just the best! 

• Love 3

I love this show and am sad its already over again.  I'd much rather see these 3 friends who are all successful in their own careers and maybe not so successful in their love lives who genuinely like each other's company and aren't forced together for the sake of reality (Looking at your RH of Everywhere).    They have a camaraderie that can't be made up.  Its like how i love seeing the Kardashian/Jenner sisters interactions on KUWTK as they are genuine (even if in a contrived situation for the show).

And OMG when Tubber went into the attic - my husband and i were dying laughing.  What a scene!!! And that Tubbiary was the best!!!  

And the scenes with the local folks are hilarious.  Like the doll lady tonight -- no way she wasn't already a hoarder with that big old mess behind her of doll parts!!!!  Priceless!!!

• Love 9
On 8/8/2017 at 7:44 AM, bichonblitz said:

Wow, I don't know anything about Oklahoma, but I guess Nichols Hill is a really big deal. 

It's like the Beverley Hills of Oklahoma City.  I thought the trauma of driving 5 miles was over the top.  It looked to me like Pumps wanted the exact same house she was leaving (which she got) instead of getting something slightly smaller or older in NH.

• Love 3
On 7/19/2017 at 10:24 AM, mytmo said:

I loved it until the gay pride parade and that is because I thought here we go again with another Bravo group shouting and being obnoxious on how they love the gays.  Sure go and support but do we really need to be this over the top?

Yes, it does need to be over the top.  

I really like this show - which means it will be canceled.  This is an organically created cast of people who know and care about each other.  I hope if it does get picked up Bravo can understand why this will work v. the other shows that they "craft".

• Love 5

Sorry to disagree but the antics were similar to the clusterfucks at Vanderpump Rules where their support lasts an hour and these ladies will not utter anything else on the subject until the camera is on them again.

Too much acting this time around and not enough "realness" like the other episodes.  I'll still watch though.

• Love 1

They are at their best when they are wisecracking throughout a routine day.

The kids continue to be refreshingly natural and well-behaved.

Tubbers is so adorable I am eyeing a Frenchie for my next companion. (In his exuberance to go for a walk, my family's half-grown Lab puppy pulled me off my feet the other day.)

I'm a bit put off by the mother-son relationship between Jennifer and Josh - she's really hard on him sometimes. I understand why, but she needs to let go of her resentment and control issues. He'll never grow up otherwise. That said, he needs to get a decent-paying job and contribute to the household's expenses. If it's not law, he should find something else.

Pumps: you do know that cigarette smoke weaves itself into your clothes and hair and everything around you, right? Nevertheless, thanks for the hilarious gift of the Playtex glove.

• Love 2
On 8/10/2017 at 8:28 AM, mytmo said:

Sorry to disagree but the antics were similar to the clusterfucks at Vanderpump Rules where their support lasts an hour and these ladies will not utter anything else on the subject until the camera is on them again.

Too much acting this time around and not enough "realness" like the other episodes.  I'll still watch though.

I agree.  I just don't find them all that funny.

Jennifer is so rough looking.

Pumps new house looks as big as her old house.  I don't think Jennifer's house looks all that large to be in the "great" neighborhood.

On 8/8/2017 at 3:31 AM, walnutqueen said:

OMG - that Tuppiary in Pumps' smoking alcove was hilarious!

I am already missing this show.  :-(

Especially when Blaze peed on it... ;)

Team Wolf!

• Love 3

I don't know if they're trying too hard. My friends and I are smartasses like that, without even trying. It's a certain kind of person. We work in software, and my older friends and I were journalists. It's a personality type, and I agree that it can be obnoxious. However, I find them refreshing, fun, and entertaining. I think there is true love there, among all of them.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, teapot said:

I wonder why we don't see much of Lee's personal life (her kids & etc) like we do the others

Does Lee have kids? I didn't even realize. Maybe the ex doesn't want them on?

• Love 2
On 8/15/2017 at 0:11 PM, teapot said:

I wonder why we don't see much of Lee's personal life (her kids & etc) like we do the others

I find it weird that she would choose to be on this show yet we know nothing about her. Have we ever even seen her house? What does she do for a living?  She adds nothing to this show. I would like to see less of Josh and more of Lee. 

On 4/25/2017 at 9:15 PM, lilmarysunshine said:

Not sure about this show yet - I watched the latest episode with Lee and Pumps and it just feels like the women are always on stage trying to be funny.

I far prefer that over women onstage trying to out-mean each other. At this point I've only watched 3 or 4 episodes, so my opinion may change.  

Right now, they remind me so much of a few gal-groups I've known IRL that it's just a ton of fun to see them clown around on each other. 

• Love 1
On 7/19/2017 at 2:52 PM, walnutqueen said:

See - this is what rings a bell for me.  My BFF and I are ON FIRE when we get on a riff & entertain each other and ourselves with our questionable witticisms.  We constantly try, and often do, crack each other up and dissolve into fits of giggles, with not a thought nor a care how others might perceive our easy banter.   Our best laughs don't translate easily to the page (or screen, I'd assume), but I can evoke the same feeling thinking about them years later - and could see myself doing so while recounting said moments to a third person.

Sure, there's probably stuff being played up for the cameras, but I have no problem believing these people genuinely LIKE each other, and amuse themselves and each other off camera as well.  That's rare on reality teevee.

Oh, and SUCK IT, Vicky (O)G.  OK is way more than OK.

This, this, 1,000 times this!

One of my ride-or-die friends passed away, one lives 4 hours away, so I guess this show brings back the good times for me.

Its like they say, "Good friends laugh together-best friends laugh til they snort" -- and no white powder's involved, BTW.

I do hope the gals & Josh stay true to themselves and if production tries to influence them away from what's genuine, then they say "enough" and close up shop. I'd rather have only a few episodes of true fun than several seasons of inauthenticity that leads to misery. 

• Love 1
On 8/1/2017 at 11:38 AM, ghoulina said:

I really loved this episode. Pumps was cracking me up, with her walker while skating and her Michael Jackson jacket!

And how she insisted that this was another "dick over" (first I've heard that phrase) with plenty of sepia shots showing the three of them *agreeing* on a '70s theme....I so enjoy how these people laugh at themselves.  

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I find it weird that she would choose to be on this show yet we know nothing about her. Have we ever even seen her house? What does she do for a living?  She adds nothing to this show. I would like to see less of Josh and more of Lee. 

I think through a Bravo link, I found out she's in medical equipment sales. Which would explain her showing up at Jen's business in scrubs.  

Now & again I get close to OKC...next time I'm going to have to drive all the way in and at least get a selfie in front of her store.

Re: the gay pride parade. I liked that their schtick was to poke fun at the prophet of doom.  And when Jen (?) made a JUST MARRIED sign, Lee (?) and Pumps were right there posing as a happy couple. 

Its the kind of genuine friendship moves like these that have me liking the show so much so far. But so belatedly!!!

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

And the garage sale she held, and when the neighbor chopped down her tree.  We've seen it quite a bit.

Wasn't that when they went out and bought the fuck you trees (shrubs?) and planted them facing the neighbor's driveway?

• Love 1