Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Home Oklahoma - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved it too - actual friendships, honest family histories/relationships, and lack of pretense made for a fun viewing experience.   In real life, I like smart women who support one another, work hard, and value the power of silliness to make life more fun.  It was such a nice break from the childish antics and empty displays of wealth that the housewives have devolved into.

And the comments from the locals were very funny.

Props to this production team for taking the high road less traveled, with hopes that they can resist Andyfication (or is it Cohanization?). 

Thanks for starting this topic!

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

The one woman looks just like Angela Kinsey from The Office and Real Hotwives. 

I could see it but I think Jen mainly in her profile but also head on is a dead ringer for Laura Linney.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, OldButHappy said:

I loved it too - actual friendships, honest family histories/relationships, and lack of pretense made for a fun viewing experience.   In real life, I like smart women who support one another, work hard, and value the power of silliness to make life more fun.  It was such a nice break from the childish antics and empty displays of wealth that the housewives have devolved into.

And the comments from the locals were very funny.

Props to this production team for taking the high road less traveled, with hopes that they can resist Andyfication (or is it Cohanization?). 

Thanks for starting this topic!

Yes to all this, I actually cannot wait for the next episode & I have not said that about a Bravo show in ages

From the previews I had a feeling that this was going to be refreshingly good

• Love 4

The previews made it seem like Honey BooBoo 2.0, but I enjoyed it. Mainly because of Pump ... she's made for tv.  I loved that she put her step tracker on her dog.

Plus, as a person who has always been connected to a big city, I am oddly interested in what it is like to live in a slower-paced setting that feels more country-ish. These are more normal middle-aged lives than Lisa Vanderpump's and Carole Radziwill's, so it's refreshing.

• Love 7

First- full disclosure.   I know these people.   I've been friends with Jennifer since high school (I credit her with the reason I moved back to OKC from Dallas) and my husband (also a lawyer) has known Angie, her ex, and Josh since law school.

I am so glad this forum opened because I have been curious as to how others are liking the show.   I can say that they are pretty spot on and not playing it up for the cameras.  And I was so glad that they have been so upfront and honest about what happened with Josh!

• Love 22

So glad to see there's a thread for this. I'd been dying to know what others thought. As has been echoed above, I was NOT expecting to like this show. I thought it would be a RH-lite of sorts. But I just LOVED it! I agree that it's nice to focus on real, organic relationships and their individual family lives. I like the light tone of the show and the interviews with locals. 

My favorite part was in the second episode when Pump and Jennifer were eavesdropping on Lee's date and they finally dropped all pretenses so they could determine if it was the wife or husband who wanted to "swing" with Lee's date. I busted out laughing so hard!!! I couldn't stop. I don't know if I've ever laughed that hard at a Bravo show; if so, it's been awhile. 

The storylines might be heavily manipulated but I don't care. This show is just fun. 

2 minutes ago, Marcya23 said:

I am so glad this forum opened because I have been curious as to how others are liking the show.   I can say that they are pretty spot on and not playing it up for the cameras.  And I was so glad that they have been so upfront and honest about what happened with Josh!

Thank you for sharing. This is good to know. And I agree - I like that Josh can be self-deprecating about what he did, but isn't trying to sugarcoat it either.

• Love 11

I guess I should clarify that I don't think they are playing their personalities up. But I definitely think the fitbit tracking and "blind date" are most likely manipulated for the show!!  By the way, if you ever get to OKC, Cheevers is fantastic.  Hands down my favorite place to eat.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Marcya23 said:

By the way, if you ever get to OKC, Cheevers is fantastic.  Hands down my favorite place to eat.

Just don't wear blue plaid! I thought Lee's date might be on his break from his job as a server there because his shirt looked like the waiter.

• Love 4

Add me to the chorus of "surprised to really like this".  It's got the best parts of other shows: a touch of Chrisley Knows Best (half hour, somewhat manipulated, reality sitcom, but not nearly as contrived as CKB has become); a dash of Southern Charm (TRav can take notes from Josh on how to rehab an image); later year RHONY (divorcees starting over, but with the benefit of real friendship and a healthy dose of self aware humor); and plenty of dogs (which is the best part of RHOBH these days).  I hope this show sticks around and these ladies can curb stomp Vicki for all her OK disparagement at a Bravo upfront! ;)

Edited by Lizzing
  • Love 14

Love this so far, although I was perturbed at the producer-manipulated blind date hi-jinks. These women don't need producer manipulation - hands OFF please. The women remind me very much of my family and friends in southwestern Louisiana - hard working, bright, successful, and funny. Lots of drama over time, but they survive with a sense of humor and confidence.

Speaking of which, do we know what Lee does for a living?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Love this so far, although I was perturbed at the producer-manipulated blind date hi-jinks. These women don't need producer manipulation - hands OFF please. The women remind me very much of my family and friends in southwestern Louisiana - hard working, bright, successful, and funny. Lots of drama over time, but they survive with a sense of humor and confidence.

Speaking of which, do we know what Lee does for a living?

I'm am almost positive she's in medical sales. 

• Love 3
On 3/23/2017 at 1:16 PM, ghoulina said:

My favorite part was in the second episode when Pump and Jennifer were eavesdropping on Lee's date and they finally dropped all pretenses so they could determine if it was the wife or husband who wanted to "swing" with Lee's date. I busted out laughing so hard!!! I couldn't stop. I don't know if I've ever laughed that hard at a Bravo show; if so, it's been awhile. 

Yes! I actually couldn't believe I was laughing and enjoying the show so much. It's a fun trifle. So glad they made a thread!

• Love 4

I like the show as well. The ladies seem like "real people," so to speak. There is no pretension so far and they seem to live average lifestyles. There's no OTT opulence or private jets, just a solid group of girlfriends with no hint of jealousies, etc. I hope the show doesn't change that.

• Love 6

I think this show is actually kind of refreshing. Just a normal group of friends who love to laugh. I like the mini-interviews with non-cast members that are spliced into the episodes, too.

I hope Josh stays sober and is able to practice law again. It seems he takes his sobriety seriously and that he wants to be a better father.

• Love 9

I really enjoy the relationship between Pumps and Josh they have a similar friend chemistry to her and Jen. I wonder what it was like for her during the divorce, it is sometimes very hard to maintain a close friendship with both sides of a divorcing couple and then also a challenge if the couple get back together, I mean obviously not as difficult as being the divorcing couple but I think it speaks volumes about their friendship.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I saw the previews and thought it was a show i could really enjoy because the women seem "real". I'm hoping Bravo will rerun the first episode for me. 

Bravo is airing some reruns : Ep 2 tomorrow 3:00 am (left coast time)

Ep 1 and 2 Mon 3/27 2:30 am

New Ep 3 Mon 3/27 10:30 pm

• Love 2
On 3/24/2017 at 6:26 PM, chenoa333 said:

I saw the previews and thought it was a show i could really enjoy because the women seem "real". I'm hoping Bravo will rerun the first episode for me. 

There is an hour episode tonight at 9pm, it's marked "new" but doesn't have a title so it would not surprise me if it was the first two episodes.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

There is an hour episode tonight at 9pm, it's marked "new" but doesn't have a title so it would not surprise me if it was the first two episodes.

That's what I'm thinking as they said on the channel blurb "Lee goes on a blind date for the first time in 17 years"  and they can't 'redo' a first date. Hope more people get to see it so that it gets more episodes as it's as refreshing as a skinny dip on a hot summers day. 

• Love 4

Agreed with everyone above on why this show is such a delight, but it's also great to see women who don't look like they're more plastic than flesh, and to see Pumps, who isn't a size 2, on TV.

• Love 8

I live in OKC too, and I was prepared to hate this.  It was completely opposite of what I expected (right wing willfully ignorant trophy wives).  I LOVED it.  I think it's really cool that Josh was so open about his issues and I nearly died when Pumps said "I can't afford to live here anymore."  Can you picture any other RH admitting that, even as the creditors were knocking down the door?  No way.  I'm pleased with the way they represented OKC women - smart, hard working and funny.  And yes, we say FUCK a lot.  Like, a lot.

• Love 19

I wasn't sure about this show, I grew up with Jen and she isn't someone I would've expected to be in a reality show.  She was popular but not over the top.  I'm pleasantly surprised although I do think it's funny they are portraying Nichols Hills as a small town in the middle of no where.  It's a suburb of OKC basically THE rich suburb.

I'm not crazy about how the "locals" are being portrayed in the side interviews especially since they haven't shown anything particularly refined (other than Jennifer's designs) about this group of friends.  If they are going to change mindsets it's probably going to take more than ordering iced tea at a hipster bar or going to the "lake" on the weekends.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I loved Pumps kids programming Siri to call her "butt licker".  Ah, Siri!  Good in theory, but.....

That's  Butt "Liquor!"

I really wanted an hour of this.

Pumps going to the neighbor's was hysterical...she needs her sleep, evidently! I was surprised that she didn't want to stay out later that first (only?) night. 

• Love 6

I totally related to Pumps in that moment. I get very cranky when I'm tired, and I have a hard time staying up past 10. If my husband bothers me when I come to bed, I get all bratty and yell at him. I also loved her not only going to the neighbor's, but taking her gallon of tea with her!!!

I related to her getting lost as well. I have NO sense of direction and sometimes those GPS apps are totally inaccurate. Once I was trying to get to a grocery store and was told, "You have arrived at your destination", while sitting in a cul de sac, looking at a bunch of fancy houses! In a Blizzard! 

I was disappointed in only one episode this week. These gals are hilarious. 

• Love 5

These people make me laugh - with them.  Such a refreshing change from the usual Bravo fare.

Loved seeing Pumps' messy closet, and how she made a 3 hour drive turn into a 6+ hour detour.  Siri sending her all over hell's half acre while calling her "Butt Liquor" was pure gold.  :-)

• Love 11

I'm pleasantly surprised although I do think it's funny they are portraying Nichols Hills as a small town in the middle of no where.  It's a suburb of OKC basically THE rich suburb.

Its kind of misleading when you see their houses though...None of them are in the really fancy part of Nichols Hills - Jennifer's and Lee's are on the east outskirts, from what I can tell.  I am pretty sure Pumps no longer lives in the house that we are seeing on TV.  Wonder if we will see her get a new place this season.  And Nichols Hills for the most part these days  is new money....You want real old money grandeur, you go to Heritage Hills.  I hate how they are tearing down old houses in Nichols Hills to make more McMansions.

Edited by shirazplease
  • Love 3

I loved how the morning after the night out, Pumps was sitting on the porch with her big tshirt on, apparently no bra, and not a drop of makeup, like normal people do.  I hope they don't suffer the same curse as all 1st season reality people and come back for a second season always in full hair and makeup, but somehow I don't see that happening.  These ladies seem to have good attitudes about who they are.  Cross my fingers that in 16 months time they aren't all wearing mink false eyelashes 24/7!

• Love 6

These women and Josh are so quick witted and hilarious! I love people that are naturally funny without even trying.  Also love that they don't mind being filmed with hardly any make up on, no 6 inch stiletto's and their hair not perfectly done, bad dye jobs, lack of fake hair extensions and all! 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

These women and Josh are so quick witted and hilarious! I love people that are naturally funny without even trying.  Also love that they don't mind being filmed with hardly any make up on, no 6 inch stiletto's and their hair not perfectly done, bad dye jobs, lack of fake hair extensions and all! 

yes to all this and the fact that they are all truly long time friends makes their interactions just good nature banter 

no pretensions or contrived drama

• Love 3

I laughed my damn fool head off late last night as I watched episode 2. It's the quick-witted banter: "go tell the Barbies" and "do a taco block." When poor crabby Pumps was fumbling around in that tiny lower bunk, threatening violence, I lost it. I watched the episode twice last night.

I looks like from the credits that Jennifer is the exec producer who packaged the show.

Hope the show keeps its format and is renewed.

Pumps was surely suffering the effects of her divorce, which she alluded to in episode one. Her closet being a mess, the house's curb appeal kind of let go...many of us have been there. I'm sure she'll land on her feet.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, shirazplease said:

Its kind of misleading when you see their houses though...None of them are in the really fancy part of Nichols Hills - Jennifer's and Lee's are on the east outskirts, from what I can tell.  I am pretty sure Pumps no longer lives in the house that we are seeing on TV.  Wonder if we will see her get a new place this season.  And Nichols Hills for the most part these days  is new money....You want real old money grandeur, you go to Heritage Hills.  I hate how they are tearing down old houses in Nichols Hills to make more McMansions.

Pumps house is listed still and I think it's at 1.3 million?  From the pictures it looks empty.  I think an interview on Bravo alludes to the fact that Pumps was getting ready to move out when production started but stayed until it finished or something.  She couldn't afford to keep the house on her own which is understandable when/if the kids are staying in private school and buying/building the house was based off of two high incomes.

I'd put Jen's house in the $600,000 range?  Its hard to tell how big it really is but she's gone high end with everything inside and it has a pool.  It has no front yard though being taken up with the drive way.  Lee's is hard to tell because we've only seen an exterior and a living room.

7 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

I'd put Jen's house in the $600,000 range?  Its hard to tell how big it really is but she's gone high end with everything inside and it has a pool.  It has no front yard though being taken up with the drive way.  Lee's is hard to tell because we've only seen an exterior and a living room

The thing that kills me about Jen's house is so close to her neighbor, particularly the one on the right, I initially thought it might be a guest house. I was shocked by how tiny her lot size seems.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The thing that kills me about Jen's house is so close to her neighbor, particularly the one on the right, I initially thought it might be a guest house. I was shocked by how tiny her lot size seems.

That's pretty typical for Oklahoma.  Especially in the suburbs, houses are right next to each other.  I didn't realize houses could be built on bigger lots and further away until I moved away!

I'd put Jen's house in the $600,000 range?  Its hard to tell how big it really is but she's gone high end with everything inside and it has a pool.  It has no front yard though being taken up with the drive way.  Lee's is hard to tell because we've only seen an exterior and a living room.

It's less than 3000 square feet and market value is $427K per the county assessor's site (love to real estate stalk), so retail it could be around $600K considering it's Nichols Hills.  ETA I just looked at the sales price when they bought it - only $216K!  I wonder if that was pre-remodel.

That's pretty typical for Oklahoma.  Especially in the suburbs, houses are right next to each other. 

True....The bigger, older part of Nichols Hills, especially on Nichols Rd, have some really big lots though - nothing like what we are seeing on the show.  I was lucky to get 1/3 acre lot in the middle of one of the older neighborhoods in the city.  But these new developments especially - OMG.  The houses are SO close together and there is only a strip of green about 6ft wide for a backyard.  It's heinous.

Edited by shirazplease
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shirazplease said:

True....The bigger, older part of Nichols Hills, especially on Nichols Rd, have some really big lots though - nothing like what we are seeing on the show.  I was lucky to get 1/3 acre lot in the middle of one of the older neighborhoods in the city.  But these new developments especially - OMG.  The houses are SO close together and there is only a strip of green about 6ft wide for a backyard.  It's heinous.

It's like that where I live in Florida, too. Before construction starts, or a new community, the first thing they do is plow down every damn tree in sight. Because doesn't everybody want to look out your window and wave at the neighbor in their house next door?. It's disgusting. I don't understand it all. 

• Love 1

Butt Liquor had me laughing so hard, the cat got scared and jumped off my lap.  My kids did that to me years ago, we had just gotten our first computer and I had no clue how to work it. There was a little virtual pet gorilla that they downloaded for me and the damn gorilla called me butt licker. Not knowing how the computer really worked back then I had no clue how to get rid of it. 

So far, I'm LOVING this show. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, shirazplease said:

It's less than 3000 square feet and market value is $427K per the county assessor's site (love to real estate stalk), so retail it could be around $600K considering it's Nichols Hills.  ETA I just looked at the sales price when they bought it - only $216K!  I wonder if that was pre-remodel.

Yes. The house now is different from the original. I haven't been to her house since she remodeled it, but they have done quite a bit of work on it.  

• Love 1

I loved when Pumps put the exercise tracker from her tennis shoe (that her gf's gave her to moniter her efforts to lose weight) on her dog and kept throwing the ball for the dog to run and fetch! 

• Love 1

Well, maybe I do need multi-million dollar houses and trips to Hong Kong and Thomas Ravenel-level antics to hold my attention after all.  I thought the third episode was tiresome .... didn't enjoy the dumb pranking and Josh's adolescent humor is not charming.  Plus, watching someone jet ski in real life or eating sandwiches on a picnic table in real life bores me; no wonder I was antsy by the time this episode was over.  

• Love 3

Awww, man! I completely cosign what you guys are saying in regards to SHO being a refreshing change from Bravo's usual "plasticky women pitted against plasticky women" fare. I also like the devoted friendships, the real talk about financial woes and past mistakes, the funny interstitials from locals. I get so tired of the forced melodrama and frequent darkness on the Real Housewives franchises...

but I don't think this show belongs on Bravo. I'm actually kind of surprised Oxygen or TLC didn't snap it up, since I think it would have a much easier time winning an audience there. My crippling laziness has prevented me from looking up ratings, but does anyone know how it's doing? Maybe it's also as simple as not having enough pretty scenery to covet a la Southern Charm. It just left me underwhelmed. I get the sense that Bravo is in an exploratory "let's throw EVERYTHING at the wall at see what sticks!" phase, which must explain why I am also seeing previews for shows specifically encouraging fighting over who's a "real best friend" on a trip to Cabo (WTF???), but there's only so much diversifying you can do as a network without alienating your viewers. Do you want your offerings to be more relatable, like this show? Or to veer into Bad Girl's Club territory?  Pick a damn lane!