Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E02: Week 2

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Yes, and Aly and Simone both posed recently in barely-there bikinis. I am not accusing them of being sluts, but I have to roll my eyes at anyone who poses like that and claims they are "shy."

There's shy and there's shy. Like kitcloudkicker said. It's more about being strong and powerful, not sexy and flirty. To some it's a second nature, to some it's an acquired skill. She is not shy or embarrassed of her body and she is ok to show skin. But being seductive and sexy, she might very well be shy. One does not exclude the other.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

There's shy and there's shy. Like kitcloudkicker said. It's more about being strong and powerful, not sexy and flirty. To some it's a second nature, to some it's an acquired skill. She is not shy or embarrassed of her body and she is ok to show skin. But being seductive and sexy, she might very well be shy. One does not exclude the other.

That is disappointing to see that Aly posed in such a manner.

But back to the show, it was easier to buy Laurie's young girl shyness and giggling.  Simone is more mature, so it just does not ring true.

Charo needs to be stopped but, producers aren't going to do anything because her antics make for great tv and gets talked about in the media. There are some good dancers this season but, I don't feel compelled to vote for anyone yet. Maybe there's still "Simone is going to win so why bother" in my mind. I also feel like Gleb is a "one trick pony" when it comes to his choreography. It always has to be sexy and it's getting to be overdone with me. I don't mind being sexy but, if it's all that you do... He's doing the same thing with Erika that he did with Janna.  I'll admit that I liked DWTS in the beginning more then I do now. In the beginning it was just dancing and now it's more about production numbers and back up dancers. I miss when you had two dances to choose from every week and everything wasn't so jumbled up.

Edited by TroopinFairy
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I wasn't even sure they were still in the same venue (I half wondered whether they were conning us and they'd filmed the routine in Japan) since it looked so different with people surrounding them and waving their hands.

I thought the same! I was talking to my sister on the phone at the time and literally said "Is this live? Was this taped at another time?"

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

Gleb is definitely the king of no taste, but Eryka is also guiding her image and she wants to be the no excuses sex goddess.  I don't think it will be a stretch to guess their Vegas routine will be raunch overload..  They are so predictable.  It was that Foxtrot that made me turn the channel. 

I wish Gleb would give up the sex schtick and just do classical dances. He has a partner who can actually dance, so why go there. Erica and Bonner can both go after Charo. I would keep Mr. T over any of them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I still feel like the judges are propping Rashad pretty hard. There were too many stiff, jerky movements in his Viennese waltz and he had the same stiffness doing turns in hold that Bonner did, but Bonner got called out on it and Rashad did not. They clearly want Rashad to go to the finals. 

THIS all day! I keep reading comments praising that waltz, and it's as though I watched a different performance. He's the best male, but  is just ok. Emma was working over time trying to make him happen in that dance. At one point I thought he was going to trip trying to keep up with her. The dances like the waltz are very hard to hide sketchy technique. If they were going to call him out, this would be the week to do so. I can only conclude the blind eye turn glides him ever so closer to the finals. Next week he'll be back with some Latin dance which will turn into some hybrid type R and B hip thrusting display of straight 9s and maybe one 10 from the judges.... this show is quite predictable lol

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I wish Gleb would give up the sex schtick and just do classical dances. He has a partner who can actually dance, so why go there. Erica and Bonner can both go after Charo. I would keep Mr. T over any of them.

Agreed.  Mr. T is far more likable than the lot of them.

36 minutes ago, TroopinFairy said:

Charo needs to be stopped but, producers aren't going to do anything because her antics make for great tv and gets talked about in the media. There are some good dancers this season but, I don't feel compelled to vote for anyone yet. Maybe there's still "Simone is going to win so why bother" in my mind. I also feel like Gleb is a "one trick pony" when it comes to his choreography. It always has to be sexy and it's getting to be overdone with me. I don't mind being sexy but, if it's all that you do... He's doing the same thing with Erika that he did with Janna.  I'll admit that I liked DWTS in the beginning more then I do now. In the beginning it was just dancing and now it's more about production numbers and back up dancers. I miss when you had two dances to choose from every week and everything wasn't so jumbled up.

This is why I really enjoy Nancy and Artem so far. He's doing more "strictly" routines (more dance content) with just he and his partner, so far.  That will probably change, but right now it's the change I like. 

• Love 2

Re: Rashad vs. Bonner  Viennese Waltz,  imho Rashad had, more Viennese Waltz passes, and he had better foot placement, in that he closed his feet together on the "2" whereas Bonner has a bent knee, and perhaps a bit of bowed legs, which renders an awkward dance position and his feet do not close on the 2.   Rashad is getting the fundamentals and can improve on them. His footwork needs attention. He was flat footed in parts that will hamper the movement.  Emma really worked at producing a dance that had quite a bit of flow moving the arms then the feet, then to full on dance position to natural turns. Bonner's routine had many stops and pauses which makes me think these were deliberate because flow seems to be a problem for him..

My sister has a theory that Nancy low key used that wack to the knee to her full advantage, even her crying on the ground after the assault seemed staged , she had a whole speech going remember "WHYYYYYYY WHYYYY MEEEE WHYYY ANYONNEEE"  (such a strange response)

She said that because the attacker RAN THROUGH SEVERAL OTHER PEOPLE TO TARGET HER and hit her on her jumping knee.  As far as she knew, her knee was broken and she wouldn't be able to compete in the Olympics.  

I remember her having a sour attitude after losing and, I think, rolling her eyes because Oksana was crying or something.

The medal ceremony was held up for nearly a half-hour because she was told that the Ukrainian officials wanted to repair Oksana's make-up since SHE was crying buckets.  That's why she sounded a little snide when she said to Chen Lu, "Why bother? She's only going to start crying again ... " (The reality was that the Olympics officials couldn't find the anthem recording)  

Nancy will forever be those sappy Olympic "moments" with her mother watching her skate on a  big screen because she is vision impaired. It was like Queen for a Day already. 

Her mother has a condition causing permanent blindness. Nancy has a mentally ill brother who had a physical fight with their father at her parents' home one night a few years ago, causing her father to have a fatal heart attack.  Nancy has insisted on living in the Boston area with her family so she can help take care of her mother.  

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 20

Personally, I've felt that Heather was excellent this week and last week.  Because she is a professional dancer, ballroom training or not, she has major advantages over the other contestants which creates problems for the judges.  There is a tendency to low ball the scores which old fart Len certainly did last night. If you go way back you'll recall that the same thing happened to Mya when she was low balled in the finals and lost to Donny Osmond.  It's also happened to other contestants who had backgrounds and training well beyond their fellow contestants.  The answer has always been not to have high level dancers or complete clunkers on the show.  This season, Katan, Charo and Mr. T are among the latter group.  Sorry but they are painful to watch and the show won't really take off until they are gone. 

1 hour ago, RedFiat said:

This is why I really enjoy Nancy and Artem so far. He's doing more "strictly" routines (more dance content) with just he and his partner, so far.  That will probably change, but right now it's the change I like. 

It's nice see Artem get a partner who has the potential to go deep into the season.

Sure Heather is great to watch, she's a pro. I watch her and grade her like I would any other So You Think You Can Dance contestant who doesn't do ballroom as well as I expected.  There are people who have come on this show and did better flicka kicks than she has and they are not pros. 

Edited by RedFiat
6 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

She said that because the attacker RAN THROUGH SEVERAL OTHER PEOPLE TO TARGET HER and hit her on her jumping knee.  As far as she knew, her knee was broken and she wouldn't be able to compete in the Olympics.  

We've all seen the tape and the analysis of what happened. At that point no one knew anything, except she was the front runner for the US ladies. Tonya's hopes rested on landing one jump basically. The way my sister perceived it was she had the presence of mind to adjust her "why me" to a "why anyone", in an effort to not seem "ungracious" ? It just seemed strange, as opposed to just crying.... ymmv. For the record my attention to her back in the day was all based on my love for Paul Wylie. They were best friends and he will forever be one of my favorite male skaters of all time! He was even better as a pro. Look at his JFK and Schindler's list programs. I dare any skating fan not to cry or have goosebumps galore!

• Love 7

For the record my attention to her back in the day was all based on my love for Paul Wylie.

I wish Paul Wylie was famous enough to be on this show!!  I love him -- and I love his Henry V Olympic program!  I consider his performance the highlight of that 92 Olympics for me!

• Love 8

Paul Wylie fan club forms here! He's such a doll.

If Nancy was calculating enough to decide on a PR strategy in the midst of the shock and pain of being attacked, she'd never have let herself be caught on camera snarking about Oksana and Disneyland. I was never a big fan but I've been finding her social awkwardness on the show kind of endearing so far. She's not letting her issues keep her from getting the job done.

• Love 12

It's Radar, so grain of salt and all that:

http://radaronline.com/videos/dwts-nancy-kerrigan-meltdown-quit-skater-dancer/

This interview with her from 1994, though, a few months after the Olympics, kind of relates to this article, true or not. And she DOES make some good points about how no one could live up to the image many in the press tried to give her back then:

And because it's brought up in the above interview, here's the Mickey Mouse stuff too:

• Love 2

Thoughts on contestants for week 2 (in alphabetical order):

Heather & Maks/Alan - it was nice to see an energetic Heather come out at the beginning and thought her personality shined through. Thought the parts in hold with Alan she looked comfortable in. Though she has long limbs, thought she made a concerted effort in delivering the kicks/flicks (maybe tailbone should be a bit up, knees higher and toes pointed downwards, not sickled).  Also thought the routine showcased the vibrant side of Heather (Bruno), but agree that the hip hop section detracted a bit from the flow of the first half, such that it forced one to readjust when watching the performance. Nonetheless, thought this week was a step in the right direction and hope to see continued improvements in the upcoming episodes.

Normani & Val - thought she looked comfortable at the top walking towards Val, and that her performance experience showed through in the first few seconds. There was a nice snap to her leg and feet, fun cheeky interplay with Val, and thought they worked better as a pair this time around. Think being in charge is a positive ability, as she can take the lead in difficult situations; but do hope she doesn't forget she has a partner. Also hope outside stress won't lead to her being easily frustrated/impulsive as she progresses (running, a brisk walk in nature should help someone like her). But an entertaining routine, and hope she can move deep in the competition as it seems she has lots to offer.

Rashad and Emma - thought there were palpable layers to the performance that added to the story's complexity - the way he held Emma at the top, his smooth spin afterwards and the aggressive handling towards the end. Apart from the small incident near the judges table, thought it was nice to see Rashad's graceful free hand unfolding in unison throughout the routine with Emma. His frame felt a hair tense in hold during the turns (maybe his right shoulder was a bit forward too), and would've been nice to have his right hand closed on Emma's back (and a bit higher towards the end). But its nice to see how he brought his own personal style to each of his performances and how it rubbed off on the audience and each of the judges.

Simone and Sasha - thought she was moving in the right direction when developing her cheeky/sensual side in the cha cha, and that she worked well with the camera angle to help refine the edges at the top. Though maybe a bit out of her comfort zone, think this dance could serve as a foundation for other routines down the line. Felt a bit that she was placing her free hand accordingly, and that it didn't resonate with purpose and intention. Though an earthy and grounded dance, also wanted to see a bit of sparkle, to feel carried away with the routine and to watch them catch the eye of the other person a bit more. But an enjoyable routine and like to see how she progresses through the coming weeks.

________________________/

---------- & ----------

________________________/

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

4 minutes ago, Barbara Manatee said:

Paul Wylie fan club forms here! He's such a doll.

If Nancy was calculating enough to decide on a PR strategy in the midst of the shock and pain of being attacked, she'd never have let herself be caught on camera snarking about Oksana and Disneyland. I was never a big fan but I've been finding her social awkwardness on the show kind of endearing so far. She's not letting her issues keep her from getting the job done.

lol I forgot about that Disneyland thing lol. I don't mind her. She wasn't my fave but I was happy for her success. I was heavily involved on the skating message boards back in the day. The controversy that surrounded her loss to Oksana went on for 60 or so pages and lasted for years! lol People dissected their programs down to the bone. Every jump, edge, landing, footwork sequence. Both made some mistakes and were messy enough to not "put it away". That was the strange year when the winter Olympics came two years after the previous one that Kristi Yamaguchi won in 92! I've always wondered what would have happened had the Olympics been held in 1996 when it was really supposed to be. 96 was Michelle Kwan's big year. She came out with Solome' and took no prisoners. Perhaps she would have gotten that gold! (the one she should have had in 98 (not bitter or anything) lol. 

38 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I wish Paul Wylie was famous enough to be on this show!!  I love him -- and I love his Henry V Olympic program!  I consider his performance the highlight of that 92 Olympics for me!

He recently had a heart issue ! (two years or so ago) I was shocked!

http://www.today.com/health/olympic-skater-paul-wylie-opens-about-heart-stopping-health-scare-t56521

I didn't like Nancy's skating back in the day - I tend not to like the "pretty" female skaters ((which is nearly all of them) favouring styles like Surya Bonaly and Irina Slutskaya who tackle less boringly graceful stuff) and I always thought she was bottom heavy and one note.  BUT with the exception of the bursting into tears at compliments thing, I've really been enjoying her personality here and her dancing is not at all ringerish with room for real blossoming and improvement.  She looks like she has the physical strength to go far.  I was really chuffed by how well she did with latin considering her skating style.

Probably (or undoubtedly) Artem could bark orders at her in a way that she felt more comfortable with, but looking at his package this week, he seems completely ott giddy.  I hope they go long into the show and she doesn't get a shock boot.

Usually I pvr an episode and start watching about 40 minutes in, therefore catching up to the real time show by the end (I cannot watch judges or Erin at all), but last night I got distracted and didn't start watching till the show was over.  I came here and read what people said about the various dances, so I was able to give all the egregious dances a miss too.  That was very effective and cut the show down considerably. So thank you.

No one has mentioned that Alan seemed off in the dance.  They really worked hard at hiding him behind Heather (which was a relief because his mugging for the camera is dire) but it was interesting that I felt that it wasn't her that was off, it was him.  I don't think he matches her physically very well.  She looks so much like Erin, except that she can dance.

I also thought the camera work was very odd for Rashad and Emma.  I didn't re-watch, so this is my initial (rather than considered) opinion:  it seemed like they were pulled back farther than normal.  I wonder if they're having trouble lighting the skin difference, which is often a problem on SYTYCD, but they shouldn't with Emma's spray tan.  Maybe I imagined the weird camera work.

Edited by crowceilidh
9 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I am Team Heather. Was surprised she didn't get the edit of "wow, you needed to change up partners midweek, that's hard". I thought she danced well; Jive always looks funny to me with taller dancers. 

Your comment reminded me that when I heard about Maks being injured, my first thought was that if it was going to happen to one of the pros, Maks was the best one it could happen to. I don't intend this as a hit on him, but as a compliment to his partner - being able to switch things up as needed with a new partner and (possibly) new choreography at the last moment.  Something like that would likely have messed up most of the other celebs in a bad way but Heather had the experience to deal with it (and maybe had been in a similar situation before).

2 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

The medal ceremony was held up for nearly a half-hour because she was told that the Ukrainian officials wanted to repair Oksana's make-up since SHE was crying buckets.  That's why she sounded a little snide when she said to Chen Lu, "Why bother? She's only going to start crying again ... " (The reality was that the Olympics officials couldn't find the anthem recording)  

I loved this snark!  Go Nancy.  Plus, she had a point....

• Love 4
5 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

There is a difference between being nude and being sexy. The Bodies issue is more about showcasing the power and beauty of the human form, not a sexual thing. 

I made no judgment on intent, just that it was something she did.

I look look at those photos of all those athletes in awe, mostly because it's all things that my body would probably never be capable of.

Question about last night's show: can anyone explain Artem's wardrobe malfunction? It kinda looked like there was a string from his jacket tangled around his arm, but then Tom said something about a mic... so I'm not really sure. Everyone seemed concerned, but rewatching the dance I never would have noticed if Artem hadn't looked shell-shocked and held his arm up at the end of their routine.

Count me in of those who are just happy to see Artem look like he's having a good tIme. 

1 hour ago, JeanneH said:

Your comment reminded me that when I heard about Maks being injured, my first thought was that if it was going to happen to one of the pros, Maks was the best one it could happen to. I don't intend this as a hit on him, but as a compliment to his partner - being able to switch things up as needed with a new partner and (possibly) new choreography at the last moment.  Something like that would likely have messed up most of the other celebs in a bad way but Heather had the experience to deal with it (and maybe had been in a similar situation before).

But Heather should not get any props for this - and others with less experience should not be ding.  This is not a show about professionals. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

I don't understand how Len gave Heather a freaking 6 because of a hip hop breakdown? It was two seconds out of the dance.

I figured the 6 was because the hip hop was the only part of the dance that she seemed comfortable/proficient with. I thought her hips were awkward and jerky and her kicks/flicks completely lackluster and nearly nonexistent. I chalked it up to, maybe she needs more time to learn the intricacies of a style - but I still thought a 6 was generous.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, katha said:

I thought Len was just his usual grumpy, inconsistent self about Heather's jive. The show does this on purpose to stir up controversy. Her dance had a lot of jive content, though it wasn't very flashy. I also thought it was interesting choreography, and very good for a Maks jive in particular. Jive tends to be his weakest dance as a choreographer (though not as a dancer, I think it would have looked more impressive if he was there performing it with Heather), but that was one of his better ones.

Also it's week two and they got a hip-hoppy song, so he took a risk to make Heather stand out. It was good strategy and he's going out of his own comfort zone to give Heather stuff that suits her, which is nice to see. I hope his injury isn't too severe, because so far what he's been doing with Heather is interesting and kinda unexpected tbh.

It occurred to me that Maks might have put the hip hop section in knowing Len wouldn't like it and planning to have a little kerfuffle with Len about it.  But then he got injured and wasn't standing there before the judges.  Alan couldn't have pulled off an objection with Len.  

But then I also wondered why he wasn't standing next to his partner either with the judges or with Erin (he stood next to Alan who stood next to Heather).  

Ranking based on my predictions of who has the most chances to win.

Usually I can pin point 1 or 2 couples who I know for sure winning or at least making it to the finals. But this season with so many ringers I truly don't know. 

1) Rashad: Idk really care for this couple. They are pretty boring to me but the judges are overscoring and overhyping some I'm guessing he's doing well in voting. Best male dancer by far though. Like he's really not even remotely close to Normani Heather Simone ability. But this show is extremely sexist so what can I expect.

2) David: If this Grandpa could dance or at least had rhythm at least to mask his awful technique like Bindis faking ass he woulda had this competition on a freaking hand lock and would not let go. Them grandmas in PureDWTs and everywhere else (The main demo) are salivating over his plain bread bones and ain't no stoping them. But i don't think the producers would want a star who isn't at least an above average dancer. So nope not winning.

3) Simone: I'm sorry girl but I'm having deja vu. You just another Laurie and sadly not even as good. I'm tired of her stiff ass lines she always looks like she's a sticking a damn landing. Don't try and be sexy just be your damn goofy giggling self maybe then you'll win. I don't see her winning either for the fact that laurie just won last year and she is not different enough that could validate having another one winning a mirrorball. Next.

4) Normani: This my girl. Dis my bitch. Dis my day one. Gurl can't nobody tell me she didn't serve star power. She served next beyonce. Charisma. PERSONALITY. More than Beyonces back up dancer. I really hope she's pull through and takes that mother mirrorball. She has the perfect convo of everything like Carrie Ann said she's everything everyone is trying to be. All of this with the traveling from across the Pacif Ocean. This show is racist and sexist and unless you're not Americas sweetheart or play sport people don't pay attention to you. We harmonizers are doing best but we need the GP in our side. I could see her winning. Out of everyone she has everything needed to win and yesterday she's radiated that. Amazing. I love her. No negativity needed all positive vibes.

I do not care about the rest. I'm tired of Heather and I used to love her back in Glee so.. Her personality just doesn't sit well with me. Nancy i mean why? I live for Charo she's a hoot and is the only one that brings a new fresh of air to the show. Hate her or love her she's entertaining. I do not remember the rest.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Yes, and Aly and Simone both posed recently in barely-there bikinis. I am not accusing them of being sluts, but I have to roll my eyes at anyone who poses like that and claims they are "shy."

No, the shy doesn't bother me as much as the saying that they do it to empower other women....yeah. 

• Love 3

I feel bad for Chris.  I did cringe when he made his comments upon exit and they were kind of bitter and entitled in a way that's hard to admire.. as if he is totally fine with the pity vote.  But that's part of what makes me feel for him.  Yeah it would be great if he was one of the stories like Noah where he comes out and overcomes challenges and just has a great attitude.. but that's not reality for most people.  I suspect he deals with chronic pain and pain management which has led to addiction problems.  And it's hard enough for a lot of actors to make it out of SNL alive.. it's a great, fun business when you're young and partying, but it's brutal and unforgiving when it's through with you.  They aren't paid much, they end up typecast and one trick ponies.  The Will Ferrells, Chevy Chases, Dan Akroyds are the exception and not the rule.  Plus many comedians seem to deal with depression issues without all of the broken neck/back stuff to deal with.  Laughter through the emotional pain sort of thing.  Anyway... I give him credit for attempting it and I hope he's able to find his way from here on out.

Charo is annoying but I have to admire her energy for someone that age.. whatever her true age may be.  I'll be fine with her going though.

I'm a Bachelor fan and I always thought on the show that Nick was a pretty decent dancer with some natural rhythm.  I hope to see him get better.

I'm 39 and I remember Nancy in the Olympics.  She always rubbed me the wrong way.  Just something about her as others have mentioned.  She's more likeable now than she used to be but it feels contrived.

Normani is a fantastic dancer but obviously she's got experience.

Heather too but for some reason I don't like her.. not sure what it is about her.  Part of it may be that I cannot stand Beyonce so maybe I'm unfairly projecting that onto her lol.  

I'm a huge Eagles fan so it's hard for me to admit liking Rashad, but it's hard not to.  He's enjoyable to watch.

I don't have much of an opinion about Bonner other than the showmance stuff always makes me feel uncomfortable.. it always feels so corny.

Mr. T is just a great person and role model.  It's endearing to see him try so hard.

The Housewives chick gives me the creeps.  

I am a huge fan of women's gymnastics and I love Simone.  I hope she can learn to move a little more gracefully.. she is SUCH a gymnast.  But hey, that's why she's one of the most decorated.

David is also fun and endearing to watch.  I love baseball players.  

Edited by GracieK
  • Love 3

I am so over Charo. Just absolutely batshit. 

Why are they forcing Sharna to have a romance with Woody from Toy story? I don't see it. 

I am giving Nancy a break. She's a grown up now. And I always root for Artem for purely shallow reasons so I voted for them. 

• Love 13

I used to watch this show many seasons ago. I came back for one episode here, and I thought this was pretty bad. To start with, they don't need four judges. I enjoyed Julianne as a dancer, but I'm not sure why she is needed on the panel. Secondly, these have to be the most un-famous sports players this show has ever had. Nice guys, but they really are relative no-names compared to the Hall of Famers from past seasons. Finally, there was no one I saw who gave me any desire to check in on their progress next week. Maybe that's me losing interest in the show over the years, but I really think the names on this show have become so Z-list that it's tough to care.

I'm a huge Eagles fan so it's hard for me to admit liking Rashad, but it's hard not to.  He's enjoyable to watch.

I'm not a sports fan in any way, shape or form. I had to read this 3 times to realize you meant the Eagles football team and not the Eagles, the 70s band. lol, I just couldn't get the connection.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Derek helped choreograph one of their routines for Pete's sake!

Meryl + Charlie's coaches said no, he didn't, he just talked to them. But his fan site was pretty effective in pushing that notion.  

• Love 1

I'm surprised but I'm finding Heather decidedly unlikeable.

I got back from Japan (to east coast) as all I can say is pass me some of that snake venom.  I was a hot mess when I landed there and a hot mess when I got home just in time change, not to mention ensuing jet lag.  I'm finding Normani surprisingly likeable.  Her energy and attitude are positively fun to watch so far.

Team Rashad for the guys!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TiredMe said:

Why are they forcing Sharna to have a romance with Woody from Toy story? I don't see it. 

OMG LOL LOL LOL I just spit my drink out! LOL!!! From now on when it's their turn I'm only going to hear "There's a snake in my boot"

• Love 14
12 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:
19 hours ago, renatae said:

I guess I'm old here too, because I remember Nancy well! (I'm 43 btw lol). Nancy actually lost the Olympic gold to Oksana Baiul! (it was close and I think Nancy stayed bitter) Nancy was a VERY inconsistent skater. She did well, but she is no Kristi Yamaguchi (who as we know won DWTS). My sister has a theory that Nancy low key used that wack to the knee to her full advantage, even her crying on the ground after the assault seemed staged , she had a whole speech going remember "WHYYYYYYY WHYYYY MEEEE WHYYY ANYONNEEE"  (such a strange response).  She's doing about how I would expect so far. Not the best but not the worst.

How is her screaming out "why!" after being physically assaulted a speech? Unless you think she was in on her attack her response was not staged.

Not sure how the quote about Nancy and Oksana above got attributed to me, but those weren't my words.

8 minutes ago, renatae said:

Not sure how the quote about Nancy and Oksana above got attributed to me, but those weren't my words.

That was my quote. I don't know how that happened either...

• Love 1
7 hours ago, UYI said:

This interview with her from 1994, though, a few months after the Olympics, kind of relates to this article, true or not. And she DOES make some good points about how no one could live up to the image many in the press tried to give her back then:

And because it's brought up in the above interview, here's the Mickey Mouse stuff too:

Thanks for posting both videos!  The snarkiness of the second video really demonstrates what they were talking about in the first video.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TiredMe said:

Standing ovation...this was the line of the night. I almost fell out of my chair.  However, I don't buy that Sharna is being forced. If anything she's playing coy like it could happen down the road. And it feels like everyone and their momma knows its a showmance....except Bonner. Dude seems clueless. I am not really enjoying him at all.  In interviews I find him dull and he has a blank emotionless stare when he's dancing. I hope this showmance that's being pushed doesn't end up costing us Rashad or David. 

• Love 6

I have no problem believing that Simone and Ali weren't used to conveying sexy. As gymnasts, that's not something they are taught to do. They are focused on hitting their skills and presenting a strong confident air. On top of that, many Olympic level gymnasts end up homeschooling because it allows them more time to train. Gymnasts who stay in regular school can train for a few hours before school and then for several hours after school, bu homeschooled gymnasts can train almost all day. But that means they sacrifice their social lives and some of their emotional maturity because they see the same girls all day, every day. They have very little of the boy/girl interaction that is normal in middle school/high school during the teen years so they miss out on all that awkward flirting.

As for posing in the body issue, I have no issue with that at all. Gymnasts train all day, every day. They might not feel comfortable busting out sexy, but one thing that they can be confident about is that they have toned bodies. They were leotards most of the time so they're comfortable in bathing suits. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't think strong young women should be shamed for that.

I get Nancy being uncomfortable with compliments. Like gymnasts, skaters are told to be tough. They will drill the same move over and over trying to make it perfect. And every time, their coaches will tell them what they did wrong, how to improve it, what needs to be adjusted to make it better. These are not sports where girls are told, "Omigawd, that was SO GOOD! I am so proud of you! Group hug!" When they do a move perfectly, they are told, "FINALLY! It's about time! Now do it perfectly ten more times." In addition, skaters and gymnasts know that doing something perfectly once doesn't guarantee that they'll do it well in competition when it counts so it's an endless pursuit of perfection in between dodging injuries and racing against the clock because you know your body will not be able to perform at this level indefinitely.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Paul was as famous as Nancy Kerrigan at the time. He could be on the show. He is a lot older than her, though. He may be in his sixties.

11 hours ago, Tvtimebomb said:

I loved this snark!  Go Nancy.  Plus, she had a point....

I thought the comment about Oksana's makeup was funny. LOL

18 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Paul was as famous as Nancy Kerrigan at the time. He could be on the show. He is a lot older than her, though. He may be in his sixties.

I thought the comment about Oksana's makeup was funny. LOL

Paul Wylie is 52 . He is 5 years older than Nancy Kerrigan.

I like Nancy. I was a teenager in 1994 and i liled the snark.

When we get another Figure Skater I want it to be Michelle Kwan. This article makes it seem like she is open.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimclash/2017/03/10/interview-part-4-michelle-kwan-comments-on-dancing-with-the-stars-and-womens-sports-foundation/ 

I however never want Tara Lipinski I'm  still mad she got the gold over Kwan.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Venee said:

lmao...pretty accurate description there. The thing is, after all these years, you'd think the show would finally learn that most people are not that dumb and when they force shit that hard, it just turns many people off. Sure there's always the little handful desperate for any showmance but most people are wise to that crap and just roll their eyes because it's so forced.

And meanwhile, the people who do end up having great chemistry are the ones where they aren't trying so hard to convince everyone they do. Case in point, for all the Sharna/Bonner nonsense, complete with Julianne's nauseating pandering comment, I saw way more chemistry between Rashad and Emma in their Viennese Waltz. That was real chemistry on the dance floor in my opinion.

And looking around online, I've seen many comments about the stupidity of the show trying to convince anyone of this so-called heat between Sharna and Bonner when they all remember her and James last season. And honestly, while I wasn't shipping them, if I bought Sharna into anyone, it was James. Unfortunately for her he had a girlfriend.

But it's so obvious in my opinion that this thing with Bonner is forced and the more they try to sell it and force it, the more annoying it is. Not to mention that maybe more people would believe it if Bonner had more than one expression. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Sharna and Bonner are hooking up. He looked like an absent-minded boyfriend doing the usual boyfriend thing and forgetting the camera was there. He is annoying and I don't care if they are dating or not, but I don't think it is forced. I don't like the producers forcing it down our throats though. He can't dance and he isn't that interesting either, so stop trying to make him happen.

39 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

When we get another Figure Skater I want it to be Michelle Kwan. This article makes it seem like she is open.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimclash/2017/03/10/interview-part-4-michelle-kwan-comments-on-dancing-with-the-stars-and-womens-sports-foundation/ 

I however never want Tara Lipinski I'm  still mad she got the gold over Kwan.

I'm a ride or die Michelle Kwan fan! I will forever be emotionally scarred from that loss! Which should have been a gold for her! That being said, if she did DWTS I'd have zero chill or objectivity lol! I follow her on Instagram and she has not aged! She is in the greatest shape of her life! 

• Love 5