Type keyword(s) to search

Joe & Kendra: Looking Forward To Side Hugs

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think at least one of the reasons careers weren't supported in the Duggar family was because the kids would have to be educated with worldly students, by worldly teachers.

Except that there are a bunch of colleges and career-type schools that are partly or wholly fundie run and are accredited. All over the country! And they all welcome home schooled people with open arms. Patrick Henry College, for example, was founded by the HSLDA guy himself for the sole purpose of being the "Harvard" of home schoolers. And that's just one high-profile example.

(Patrick Henry is, admittedly, probably out of the Duggarlings' academic league -- but there could be a smart and intellectual one down in that pile somewhere....in fact, I think it's likely....but the kid's just buried).

I'm sure many if not most of the people Josh worked with in DC went to places like this. Even MacArthur's other school, The Master's University, shares the Duggars' key beliefs and behavior rules, even though JB and M claim to be Baptist, not Calvinist....I've never gotten the impression that the Calvinist v. Baptist thing was something JB and M actually cared about or even understood, though. And, like MacArthur, they reject evolution, embrace the patriarchy, etc. -- so all his fundamental stuff is their fundamental stuff as well......Plus, even the Baptist seminaries are full of "Calvinist Baptists" or "Baptist Calvinists" these days. So a school like his shouldn't be verboten territory to them at all. 

And Gothard has always been determinedly non-denominational, pulling members from every corner of the conservative Protestant and fundie worlds.. So there, in their main source of mingling and "closeness" with others, they've mingled with conservative Protestants of all kinds for most of the past three decades and they weren't tainted -- So why wouldn't a college or trade school where one of those people taught or sent a kid suit the Duggar "standards"? I'm sure there's at least one that they've heard about. 

To me, this says that if JB and M could claim ignorance of the availability of fundie-heavy post-secondary education and training in the distant past, they don't have an excuse any longer. They've had access to this information for years now. Yet we see, if anything, even less musing about getting some post-secondary training or a job that isn't JIm-Bob-lackey or baby-spurter among the younger Duggarlings than we did among the older ones.  

I don't think their behavior is mainly motivated by fear for their children's morals by exposing them to non-fundies. (although, of course, that's in there).   Given the evidence, seems to me a lot more likely that they mostly just don't want them to do or have anything that doesn't come directly from Meeechelle and Jim Bob (or, of course, ask for tuition or fee money) ....i.e., it's primarily about stinginess and control. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

There are a number of Christian colleges in the area they could have sent those kids to. 

I think JB and Michelle want total control of their kids, and even sending them off to be educated by like minded people was ceding too much control to someone else. I know a few homeschool families like this. They make the idea of formal education, even at a Christian college, sound like a trap from Satan. I think education even at a fundie college would empower the children in a way that their parents fear. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 19
5 hours ago, Nysha said:

Liberty University & Bob Jones University are both accredited Fundy colleges, plus there is Clown College that seems to take anyone. I don't know about BJU, but Liberty has online classes. JB & M had a lot of options. JB does not want his children to out shine him or move beyond his sphere of control.

4 hours ago, rue721 said:

Yes, Liberty University, Bob Jones University, Patrick Henry College -- there are a lot of colleges that are specifically targeted at the fundie homeschooler who wants/needs a degree, because there are A LOT of those kids. There is no reason that the Duggar kidults couldn't have been homeschooled with the goal of the GED and then matriculation into a conservative fundamentalist college.

It would only have been helpful to JB if he could have had a lawyer son, an accountant son, etc etc etc....Or a contractor son, a plumber son, an electrician son. It's not just that none of the kidults have gone into white collar work that requires lots of degrees, none of them have gone into ANY skilled work that would allow them financial independence from their father. The closest is JD, who flies Daddy around on Daddy's planes and is living in an outbuilding on Daddy's property. (eyeroll)

And I also find it hard to believe that out of 19 children, NONE of them would enjoy learning and studying -- just plain old mental stimulation! -- and would feel drawn to study if they had that option. Jana is sitting there drawing still life after still life and gardening until her hands bleed, don't tell me that that woman wouldn't jump at some mental stimulation if she could get it without upsetting Lolli/Pops lol

I think the issue is the family dynamic more than religion. Everybody's gotta stay under JB's thumb *cough* I mean "umbrella."

I had no idea there were so many real Fundy colleges. Are these as extreme as Gothard type teachings? Do they follow all the outwardly foolish modesty rules? Do they infuse Christianity into all their lessons?  Do they have the same courses as mainstream schools?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I had no idea there were so many real Fundy colleges. Are these as extreme as Gothard type teachings? Do they follow all the outwardly foolish modesty rules? Do they infuse Christianity into all their lessons?  Do they have the same courses as mainstream schools?

Mostly. 

Yes.

Yes. 

Some, in their own way.

Their presidents tend to be Gothard-level assholes and hypocrites, too (see: Falwell, Jerry, Jr.). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Mostly. 

Yes.

Yes. 

Some, in their own way.

Their presidents tend to be Gothard-level assholes and hypocrites, too (see: Falwell, Jerry, Jr.). 

Interesting. I thought they were mostly Christian colleges where students would run into the same type of shenanigans as mainstream colleges.

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Interesting. I thought they were mostly Christian colleges where students would run into the same type of shenanigans as mainstream colleges.

They do. The two aren't mutually exclusive. The difference is that at Fundie College, having a beer or having sex or wearing spaghetti straps might get you kicked out. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Heathen said:

They do. The two aren't mutually exclusive. The difference is that at Fundie College, having a beer or having sex or wearing spaghetti straps might get you kicked out. 

Which might be a reason why so many Fundy families discourage, or outright forbid their kids from attending the colleges.

• Useful 1

W

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Well, there's no place on earth where you don't get shenanigans. But there are places where it almost seems more common, as has been noted, to see the shenanigans done by the college administrators more than by the students. And the teachings accord with those of the Duggars. And in some of these schools the shenanigans are much fewer than they are in other schools.

Of course, when it comes to JB and M sheltering their kids from shenanigans, not only did they fail completely to do that inside their own home but they then excused it by going with their cult's (all too accurate) line that it happens in most families in their group. .... So if you are placid about incestuous-type shit going on in the holy families you recommend and are happy to be in the middle of, it's hard to see how a small Christian college would be a much scarier environment. ...Or even a scarier environment than a family in which your damn father pretends to hump your mother on a mini-golf course.

The Duggar parents are hypocrites of the highest order.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, rue721 said:

And I also find it hard to believe that out of 19 children, NONE of them would enjoy learning and studying -- just plain old mental stimulation! -- and would feel drawn to study if they had that option.

Joseph did go to Crown College, although I think that was more to do with him supposedly courting a Bates girl, I don’t think he was interested in getting an education. 
I feel like Josiah would’ve loved to go to college but more to get away from his family than anything. I’m sure there were a few others who wanted to go to college Jill? Jana etc 

Edited by FizzyPuff
  • Love 4

While these are all interesting points about how the number of Duggar kids with interests in higher education is unusually low even by fundie standards, here's another angle: Could their involvement with TLC have any influence on such decisions?

ETA: I'm not saying that TLC discouraged any of the kids from going to school - quite the contrary, it would have made good storyline. What I'm saying is that perhaps the Duggars saw no need to pursue higher education because they've got money from TLC via Boob.

Edited by madpsych78
  • Love 13
7 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

While these are all interesting points about how the number of Duggar kids with interests in higher education is unusually low even by fundie standards, here's another angle: Could their involvement with TLC have any influence on such decisions?

ETA: I'm not saying that TLC discouraged any of the kids from going to school - quite the contrary, it would have made good storyline. What I'm saying is that perhaps the Duggars saw no need to pursue higher education because they've got money from TLC via Boob.

Well, I certainly think that the complete absence of walking-away-to-live-my-own-life in this family has been true because JB has real estate and TLC provides both money and sweet sweet fame. .... So not getting a career or an education may at least partly result from that complacency, too. ....

I still think that even in a complacent rich family you do tend to get a kid or two with aspirations that arise from people's imaginations and from their interior and not from just a desire to work for a good living. So I wonder why that hasn't happened here. But the TLC money as part of the chain that weighs them down and keeps them in place? I do agree that it is. 

• Love 6

Perhaps JB and Jchell realize how terrible their homeschooling really is, and they don't want any examples out in the real world.  Just don't let the kids even try, so no one can see how much they don't know.  It's not like they put any effort into education.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:I still think that even in a complacent rich family you do tend to get a kid or two with aspirations that arise from people's imaginations and from their interior and not from just a desire to work for a good living. So I wonder why that hasn't happened here. But the TLC money as part of the chain that weighs them down and keeps them in place? I do agree that it is. 

I think they beat the aspirations right out of them with blanket training and telling them they would burn in hell for an original thought.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, I certainly think that the complete absence of walking-away-to-live-my-own-life in this family has been true because JB has real estate and TLC provides both money and sweet sweet fame. .... So not getting a career or an education may at least partly result from that complacency, too. ....

I still think that even in a complacent rich family you do tend to get a kid or two with aspirations that arise from people's imaginations and from their interior and not from just a desire to work for a good living. So I wonder why that hasn't happened here. But the TLC money as part of the chain that weighs them down and keeps them in place? I do agree that it is. 

I agree  - since TLC - JB has money, the kids have traveled, have not gone hungry and been set up for whatever sham business they can sit on a couch all day at the TTH or work on "duggar time" JED! sells cars to his brothers and apparently Carlin Bates Laura etc.. how would Jase own trucks for his Buildmasters Construction LLC without JB? how did 17yr old Justin (aka DudleyDooright)  buy a truck on no income from JED! ? how does Joe own a boat and trailer and 2 cars with no job? all these things are claimed on their 2019 personal taxes.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

Well, this group has now unearthed so many compelling reasons why the Duggarlings aren't getting educations, working outside JB's umbrella-shadow, or pursuing any independent activities at all that I'm now convinced it'll be a once-in-a-millennium-grade miracle if any of them ever does. 🙂

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

At College of the Ozarks, there were some shenanigans, but nothing at all compared to what I think is considered a normal college experience. I mean, fuck, if you were legal age and got caught drinking or buying alcohol off campus, you could get still get kicked out. Most of the really wild people got weeded out early because they couldn't hack the rules. The more quietly subversive were harder to weed out. LOL 

And that place is sort of permissive compared to the more fundie places. Pensacola Christian College has separate elevators and stairwells, so boys and girls don't comingle. I'm sure the Duggars would have felt right at home shouting Nike on that campus. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I would imagine it's the quietly subversive types that scare the bejeeses out of the Jimbob types. I mean, between fear of God, fear of parents and fear of the tabloids, outright rebellion might be controlled (or smuggled away to Jesus jail), but if some nice girl from Biology makes a compelling case for evolution...

Edited by satrunrose
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I would imagine it's the quietly subversive types that scare the bejeeses out of the Jimbob types. I mean, between fear of God, fear of parents and fear of the tabloids, outright rebellion might be controlled (or smuggled away to Jesus jail), but if some nice girl from Biology makes a compelling case for evolution...

It's certainly easier to operate under the radar when you're quietly subversive. 😆

On a more serious note, though, yes I think you're right. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Zella said:

At College of the Ozarks, there were some shenanigans, but nothing at all compared to what I think is considered a normal college experience. I mean, fuck, if you were legal age and got caught drinking or buying alcohol off campus, you could get still get kicked out. Most of the really wild people got weeded out early because they couldn't hack the rules. The more quietly subversive were harder to weed out. LOL 

And that place is sort of permissive compared to the more fundie places. Pensacola Christian College has separate elevators and stairwells, so boys and girls don't comingle. I'm sure the Duggars would have felt right at home shouting Nike on that campus. 

Exactly. 

• Love 3

There are HUNDREDS of small, Christian colleges that the Duggar kids could have gone to. My friend’s brother went to one in Iowa where the girls had to wear skirts, the guys had to wear ties to class, there were no TV’s, curfew was at 9, and you could get grounded if you broke a rule. This was in the 90”s, but I’m sure the rules are just as strict. So, it’s not as if the Duggar’s couldn’t have found a college that met their standards, they just saw no reason to look. Which is sad. I mean, if Joe wanted to be a preacher, why NOT give him the opportunity to get trained as a pastor so he could excel at serving at a church. Kendra is a flake, but she’s a perfect pastor’s wife for a small, rural church. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

I think JB not only discouraged his kids to go to school b/c he is a control freak, but also so it was easier to TLC to schedule filming around TLCs schedule. JB is all about being joyfully available for the camera. The money and innate laziness are probably the reason why nobody has hightailed it out of there.

• Love 14
On 8/23/2020 at 6:02 PM, Nysha said:

I think JB not only discouraged his kids to go to school b/c he is a control freak, but also so it was easier to TLC to schedule filming around TLCs schedule. JB is all about being joyfully available for the camera. The money and innate laziness are probably the reason why nobody has hightailed it out of there.

Yes most of their single children are the college set.  They need to be available to film a courtship. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/22/2020 at 3:07 PM, GeeGolly said:

On 8/22/2020 at 3:15 PM, Heathen said:

Mostly. 

Yes.

Yes. 

Some, in their own way.

Bob Jones University didn’t allow interracial dating until 2000. Black people weren’t even admitted until 1971.

[Bob] Jones Sr. was of the view that twentieth-century blacks should be grateful to whites for bringing their ancestors to this country as slaves. If this had not happened, Jones wrote in 1960, “they might still be over there in the jungles of Africa, unconverted.” Integrationists, according to Jones, were wrongfully trying to eradicate natural boundaries that God himself had established.

https://www.jbhe.com/news_views/62_bobjones.html

🤦‍♀️

Edited by RoseGold13
6 hours ago, irisheyes said:

There are HUNDREDS of small, Christian colleges that the Duggar kids could have gone to. My friend’s brother went to one in Iowa where the girls had to wear skirts, the guys had to wear ties to class, there were no TV’s, curfew was at 9, and you could get grounded if you broke a rule. This was in the 90”s, but I’m sure the rules are just as strict. So, it’s not as if the Duggar’s couldn’t have found a college that met their standards, they just saw no reason to look. Which is sad. I mean, if Joe wanted to be a preacher, why NOT give him the opportunity to get trained as a pastor so he could excel at serving at a church. Kendra is a flake, but she’s a perfect pastor’s wife for a small, rural church. 

Emmaeus bible college?  If so, I know it well. 

1 hour ago, MunichNark said:

How do these places get away with telling legal adults when to go to bed??

Nobody goes to these colleges except people who've been trained into a power structure like Gothard's and the Duggs'. And, unlike in Europe, we have pretty many of those people. They're used to it.

JB and M or somebody they appointed as their second (like a college dean) could probably tell Jana when to go to bed and she'd do it, I think. And she's 30. (Of course this is less relevant to the Duggars since none of them go to bed until the middle of the night ... They do follow orders, though.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, MunichNark said:

How do these places get away with telling legal adults when to go to bed??

Where I went had a 1 am curfew, and they always framed it as a "you're privileged to go here, and if you don't follow the rules, then there are 13 other people waiting to take your place." That is a direct quote that was used for any rule. It is also a work college that targets poorer students and first generation college students, so many felt like they had no other options and had nobody else to direct them to better options.

COFO actually got into some hot water over their curfew a couple of years ago because 2 students who were off campus and missed curfew thought it was better to sleep outside the campus than risk asking security to let them in. They were kidnapped by a psychotic meth addict who terrorized them for a few hours. 😞

I guess I will clarify, the curfew was.more about being in the dorm by a certain time. It didn't mean you had to actually be sleeping. As long as you were.in the dorm where I was, they didn't care if you stayed up the rest of the night. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Zella said:

I guess I will clarify, the curfew was.more about being in the dorm by a certain time. It didn't mean you had to actually be sleeping. As long as you were.in the dorm where I was, they didn't care if you stayed up the rest of the night. 

Yeah, I went to a small, Christian college in the 90’s (not nearly as strict as some), and we had a curfew. Which I appreciate more now that I’m a mom. Once you were in, you could stay up. (We didn’t get grounded if we broke the rules though. 😀)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, irisheyes said:

Yeah, I went to a small, Christian college in the 90’s (not nearly as strict as some), and we had a curfew. Which I appreciate more now that I’m a mom. Once you were in, you could stay up. (We didn’t get grounded if we broke the rules though. 😀)

I was caught out after curfew twice. For the dorkiest reason imaginable. Raiding other dorms' free boxes for books. LOL I was on campus so technically not up to any trouble but still in violation of the rules. We had a trick door in our dorm's basement that everyone knew didn't lock properly, so I hustled in that way with my haul of books and nobody was any wiser. A little while later admin figured out the door was an issue and that was the end of our secret passageway. 😕 

See what hellraising the Duggars missed out on! 

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Zella said:

I was caught out after curfew twice. For the dorkiest reason imaginable. Raiding other dorms' free boxes for books. LOL I was on campus so technically not up to any trouble but still in violation of the rules. We had a trick door in our dorm's basement that everyone knew didn't lock properly, so I hustled in that way with my haul of books and nobody was any wiser. A little while later admin figured out the door was an issue and that was the end of our secret passageway. 😕 

See what hellraising the Duggars missed out on! 

It makes me sad that they have never experienced even this tiny bit of rebellion. They could have gone to your alma mater, stretch their wings for the first time in their lives, and still land within the behavior boundaries of most Christians. Plus, they would have been able to do something besides work for JB and procreate. Which is why JB never gave his kids that option.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 8
On 8/22/2020 at 9:36 AM, Nysha said:

Liberty University & Bob Jones University are both accredited Fundy colleges, plus there is Clown College that seems to take anyone. I don't know about BJU, but Liberty has online classes. JB & M had a lot of options. JB does not want his children to out shine him or move beyond his sphere of control.

The bolded says it all.  Hobble them in every way you can and it's virtually impossible they can get away.  Anyone looking to court a still single Duggar girl will absolutely be someone JB can be guaranteed to have absolute control over as well.  

On 8/22/2020 at 8:02 PM, Churchhoney said:

Well, this group has now unearthed so many compelling reasons why the Duggarlings aren't getting educations, working outside JB's umbrella-shadow, or pursuing any independent activities at all that I'm now convinced it'll be a once-in-a-millennium-grade miracle if any of them ever does. 🙂

Blaze a big trail, Israel -- and hold your bright light up as high as you can for your cousins! 

• Love 16

Joe and Kendra are in for a world of hurt someday along with their 10 + children.  When Jim Bob's pot of gold starts to run dry he's going to cut those kids off fast and save his own neck.  Joe is very sweet, but simple and doesn't have any marketable skills.. Right now he could not afford a one-bedroom apartment, utilities, car payments, insurance, groceries, child care...so very sad and he should be very concerned for his future.

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, Caracoa1 said:

Joe is very sweet, but simple and doesn't have any marketable skills.. Right now he could not afford a one-bedroom apartment, utilities, car payments, insurance, groceries, child care...so very sad and he should be very concerned for his future.

He has a real estate license.  He can get a job at an agency or brokerage anywhere in Arkansas with that. 

You can't just pick up a RE license at Walmart with a 12 pack of toilet paper and some avocados.  

Where does the "fact" that he, Kendra & the kids live off Jim Bob come from?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

He has a real estate license.  He can get a job at an agency or brokerage anywhere in Arkansas with that. 

You can't just pick up a RE license at Walmart with a 12 pack of toilet paper and some avocados.  

Where does the "fact" that he, Kendra & the kids live off Jim Bob come from?

How else would they be living?

• Love 6
6 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

How else would they be living?

TLC money?

Which still means he'll need to put that real estate license to work some day, because TLC will dry up at one point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

TLC money?

Which still means he'll need to put that real estate license to work some day, because TLC will dry up at one point.

We're friends with a couple who both have a real estate license and they make a very nice living.  However, they work hard and work a lot.  Days, evenings, weekdays, weekends, all the time.  Fortunately they love their work and are able to do it together because it pretty much takes up the majority of their waking hours.  They work for the convenience of their clients, not the other way around.  

Not sure Joe or any of the Duggar offspring have the work ethic it takes to be successful in real estate.  At least not at first.  He might grow into the job, but most agencies want results and won't have patience with someone who runs on Duggar time and has never worked a full time stressful job before.

• Useful 2
  • Love 20

At this point anyway, I think the Duggars are buyers/investors in the real estate world, rather than agents for other buyers and sellers. It fits them perfectly, buy some cheap land or a cheap house at auction, sit on it for a time and sell it for a profit. Or rent it out. I think they've even rented a field to a farmer for his cattle before. Not a lot of energy or heathen interaction needed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

At this point anyway, I think the Duggars are buyers/investors in the real estate world, rather than agents for other buyers and sellers. It fits them perfectly, buy some cheap land or a cheap house at auction, sit on it for a time and sell it for a profit. Or rent it out. I think they've even rented a field to a farmer for his cattle before. Not a lot of energy or heathen interaction needed.

Yes, I don't think we've ever seen any of them use their real estate license in the way that most brokers do.  Should something happen to JB and/or the show, I don't think any of them have any experience as commercial or residential real estate agents in the usual sense and I don't think brokerages would be interested in employing them nor do I think any of them have the slightest notion as to how to do the work required of an actual licensed broker.  I think it is a stretch to think the license itself makes them employable.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

Does Joe have any listings?

not that I have seen - he was the seller's agent listed on grandma mary's house and another property this year had him listed. not sure on this, but caldwells maybe were the buyers, Pickles had they bought a property Joe and kendra owned. again, no idea if their is truth to that. other than that nothing from Joe and nothing from JB as far as listings

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Or about to wink!

What is it with the Duggars taking posed photos in weedy fields? It looks itchy and buggy.

Oh rest assured, that is a very dumb move this time of year in Northwest Arkansas. I am perpetually perplexed by why they do this. Like, they'd have to be eaten alive by ticks and chiggers every single time. 

• Love 8