Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Sound & Fury

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

After launching a deadly missile at Angelo, Lucious announces his new music project, Inferno, and puts everyone on notice—especially Cookie, who then vows to knock him off his throne for good. Meanwhile, Jamal befriends musician Tory Ash during his stay in rehab; Andre continues with his plan to take over Empire; and Hakeem and Tiana battle Nessa for a spot in the music showcase.

Gawd, I missed the crazy that is this show. Taraji and Terrence are soo good. I enjoyed the hell out of Cookie destroying everything in sight with the baseball bat. I was surprised that she actually hit him though. I am glad that Cookie didn't have sex with him. It hurt how broken he looked when she rejected him, but he drove her away with his evilness. I cracked up at the security guard who didn't know what to do and then got the hell out there when Lucious told him to go.

Cookie was playing hardball with Lucious using Leia as a weapon. I didn't approve although he is so horrible. He brought Anika back into the fold which can only be a good thing as it will bring more crazy.

I like Nessa, but I was rooting for Tianna to beat her down. Ha. Andre is still plotting to kill Lucious. If only.

I liked Jamal's song with that Tory Ash, but I still think that he needs to go back to rehab. Nice to see his hot ex-boyfriend. I hope that he sticks around. 

Thirsty and Becky are a hilarious team. Thirsty is nailing the Godfather, the novel. It is always personal.

I love Nia Long. I cannot wait to see her on the screen.

• Love 6

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I will never ever tire of the messy, fiery, complicated, damaged bond and history and twisted, twisted love of Cookie and Lucious. That was intense and powerful. Phenomenal scene -- Howard and Henson are (messy, fiery, complicated, damaged) magic together.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 15

According to the director,  it was the actors who decided Cookie and Lucious should not have sex: http://tvline.com/2017/03/22/empire-recap-season-3-episode-10-sound-fury-cookie-lucious-fight/

I'm glad the director listened because I think it was more true to Cookie's character to walk away. Yes, Lucious is her weak spot, but she is a strong and smart woman who has learned her lesson with him.

My favorite part of the episode was the therapy session. I could almost see the thought bubble above the therapist's head saying, "I am so not getting paid enough for dealing with these crazy people."

• Love 14

So much to process from this episode.

I enjoyed the hell out of Cookie destroying everything in sight with the baseball bat.

I did too. Lucious' album may be called Inferno, but Cookie was the one on fire.

I like Nessa, but I was rooting for Tianna to beat her down.

Oh God, me too! I am a huge Tiana fangirl, and I loved her and Hakeem crashing Nessa's performance.

Thirsty, Becky and the grandmas were too funny. And I'm so glad that Xavier got his comeuppance.

I'm so happy to have this show back.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 9

Why do they keep putting Nessa in that awful weave.  She looks so much better with her short do.  I blame Andre and I'm glad Tianna ripped one of those tracks out.  Also Tianna must be tiny for Nessa to pick her up and chuck her into the audience like that.

That was Rumor Willis playing Jamal's new friend, right?  Was that her actual singing voice? Cause if so, where has she been hiding that? 

Edited by luckyroll3

This is usually a "just OK" show for me and I rarely comment on it here, but I just have to say, Cookie's rampage was GLORIOUS! They must have done it one take, since I can't image how expensive it would be to keep restoring that set. Taraji's talent has no bounds. I'm glad she didn't have sex with Lucious, but it would have been even better if she hadn't even been tempted. If she had just let out all the rage and then walked away, that would have been perfect.

• Love 7

I felt really bad for Becky! Yes, she got some revenge on Xavier, but it wasn't really her doing. At least she got the last word. But then to be passed over for that job in favor of Anika - that was awful for her! More Becky, please - sometimes I feel as if she's the most sane, or at least most grounded, person in the bunch!

Agree that the office destruction scene was amazing. Cookie didn't say anything new or anything she hasn't been saying since day one - that she sacrificed 17 years, and that Empire was built on her back, etc. - but wow - this time, she brought it home! It was exhausting but wild! I feel as if every time she's ever mentioned the 17 years, etc., Lucious has never really "heard" her, but in this scene, I think he may have really understood - or at least actually heard - what Cookie was saying. Not that he's going to back down or anything, but if he doesn't truly get the depth of how hurt Cookie was/is by now, he'll never understand it, or rather, will never admit to understanding it.

I like both Tianna and Nessa and I'm sort of sorry to see them as enemies. I liked their fight scene, though! Yikes!

Who was the female singer in the opening 'Inferno' number? Wow! Stunning lady!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Biggie B said:

Who was the female singer in the opening 'Inferno' number? Wow! Stunning lady!

Remy Ma. And she killed it.

I enjoyed tonight's episode and thought they really had a strong return. I especially enjoyed Tianna getting to drag Nessa a little and I loved Shine's "let them fight" lol 

Taraji P. Henson just secured her emmy win lol 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Thirsty, Becky and the grandmas were too funny. And I'm so glad that Xavier got his comeuppance.

Yes, and YES!

I didn't love the episode but I'm constantly, constantly in awe of the incredible chemistry between Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson.  They're amazing together.

• Love 3

I'm glad the director listened because I think it was more true to Cookie's character to walk away. Yes, Lucious is her weak spot, but she is a strong and smart woman who has learned her lesson with him.

I had stepped out of the room for commercial break and I was watching on a TV where it's not hooked to a DVR so I missed the beginning of Beyonce...er Cookie at the bat.  But what I did see was GLORIOUS in every way.  And so thankful that she and Lucious DIDN'T have sex.  I was "Giiiiirl please don't...oh thank God."  In a very weird way, they are each other soulmates.  But for right now, they're at war (which is 90% of the time.)  Giving into the enemy now wouldn't work for the long haul. 

I laughed when Tianna pulled some of Nessa's weave out.

That was shades of Top Model right there and I enjoyed it way too much.

Side note: I can't believe I didn't recognize Rumer Willis despite her tattoo and thinking "she could be Demi Moore, Jr!" (I think I'm used to seeing her with short hair.)

• Love 3

The show has finally return and is perfectly insane as ever!

I liked how Lucious and Cookie's feud has almost spilled out to every faction of their business and life at this point.  Not just what they are still doing to Jamal, but the Nessa v. Tiana blowout might have not ever happened, if those two were basically pitting against each other as pawns in Lucious/Cookie's little game.  Those two and their relationship really are the driving force of the show, for better and worse.  But, as usual, it is Lucious who really knows how to hit where it hurts, by making Anika the new head of music (I think?).  But that rampage of Cookie's was awesome!  Did not predict she even hit Lucious.  He certainly didn't see it coming!  Glad she refused to have sex with them, but their relationship is still fascinating to watch.  And Taraji P. Henson and Terrence Howard's chemistry has never been better.  Notice Craig Brewer was back behind the camera for this one, which doesn't surprise, since he directed them in Hustle & Flow, so I'm sure the three know how to work with one another.

Andre/Nessa vs. Hakeem/Tiana continues to be my favorite guilty pleasure.  Again, I think it is the case that the former is a big more logical and arguably smarter, but the latter two are so unpredictable, that no one gets the upper hand for long.  Was totally on Team Tiana though for the fight!

So, Frank Gatz' case has been closed, and Tariq is on "paid leave."  Yeah, I suspect this is far from over.  This has only gotten more personal for him, I suspect.

Thirsty, Becky, and Grandma Leah are a trio I really want to see more of.  I could watch half of an episode of Thirsty giving Becky advice on how to be cutthroat, all while Leah randomly makes a comment or two, that freaks everyone out.  Glad Xavier got his arrogant ass bounced, even if it was a set-up.

I feel like Rumer Willis' character is suppose to be some kind of version of Amy Winehouse, only she survived her addiction.  She really looked like her mother in a lot of her scenes.

I'm glad Jamal is back to making a music, but I hope he remains stronger when it comes to the drugs.

Not sure where they are heading with the Angelo stuff.  Although, they didn't even bother getting any big actor to run against him.  It was just some stock, old white guy for them to be all "Hey, this guy is clearly not Taye Diggs, so he has no chance!" 

Any episode that begins with Lucious surrounded by flames is a win in my book!

• Love 5

I could watch Thirsty, Becky and Leah run errands all day! And did I hear Thirty call Becky "Hot Pocket"? LOL

I noticed during Cookie's rampage she mentioned Lucious visiting her some in prison and her doing some stuff for him inside?? I was under the impression he never really visited, just sent the kids in for awhile. I'd really like more flashbacks to the kids growing up. I feel like we're missing some stuff there. 

I died at Cookie's face when Hakeem and Tianna crashed the stage, and Shine yelling "Let them fight!". He would.

Lu always stands up for Cookie when others are hurting/threatening her- especially with the boys. Liked him telling Jamal how upset Cookie was when they found him. He has done terrible, irredeemable things to her, but Cookie is always at the forefront of Lucious' mind I think.

• Love 4

Cookie already revealed she had a miscarriage to two of her sons (Andre & Jamal) when they were at the hospital waiting for Rhonda to be discharged after being pushed down the stairs. 

Valentina aka 'Guadalupe' was a singer who Hakeem met when she auditioned to be a part of his girl group, Mirage Trois. She then later ditched Hakeem & Mirage Trois for a solo deal with Lucious at Empire.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

I loved this one. The Cookie/Lucious scene at the end was some of the best and toughest five minutes the show has ever given us but it was such a highlight of the episode nonetheless.

Anika back in some kind of power annoys me as much as it does Cookie and Becky though I'm thankful to see Xavier gone. Dreadful character. Liked the scenes with Thirsty, Becky and Leah in this one too.

The on stage fight with Nessa and Tiana was hilarious for Shyne's reaction.

Jamal and Tory's song was nice. I hope Jamal doesn't fall off the wagon though, 8/10

• Love 3
14 hours ago, wonderchica05 said:

I noticed during Cookie's rampage she mentioned Lucious visiting her some in prison and her doing some stuff for him inside?? I was under the impression he never really visited, just sent the kids in for awhile.

She mentioned during the first season that when she first went in, he visited her frequently with the kids, but then after a while, he just sent the kids.

• Love 3

And we are BACK! Oh how I love this batshit insane show. I know I shouldn't, but I just LOVE Lucious and Cookie. Not as a couple, God no, but as a duo, they just burn up the screen. Cookie taking a baseball bat to Empire was amazing to witness. I cant believe she hit Lucious in the head! Shit just got real! I love their chemistry, but I'm glad they didn't have sex. Cookie needs to just cut as many ties with Lucious as she can, beyond being business partners and having the boys together. I did totally know they were going to at least make out the second Cookie showed up with that baseball bat. That's just how they roll.

Love the security guy who was just like "NOPE" when he saw Cookie and Luscious fighting it out. Kind of like Jamal's doctor. Just thinking "I am NOT getting paid enough for this."

If I lived in the Empire universe, I would totally go to every Empire event I could get tickets for. Its basically guaranteed something completely insane will happen every time. Hey, cut that out Tiana and Nessa! Your both pretty! That being said, I was totally Team Tiana. I just love her.

I wonder what part Rumor Willas will have in this. I hope she and Jamal don't end up sleeping together. We already had that story, thank you. I do think she's pretty good (and she has a nice voice! Who Knew?) in the acting department, so I'm willing to see.

I love how this episode started with Lucious literally as The Devil. Yeah, sounds about right.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8
On 3/23/2017 at 2:09 PM, thuganomics85 said:

feel like Rumer Willis' character is suppose to be some kind of version of Amy Winehouse, only she survived her addiction

Blasphemy! Rumer can't channel Amy Jade in her wildest dreams.