Type keyword(s) to search

All Seasons Thread

So now that we just finished our third season, what would you consider the highlights and lowlights?

Which of the three seasons has worked best for you so far?

Are there any episodes/characters/scenes/'ships/etc. that stand out as favorites and least favorites for you? 

• Love 1

The Arcanum Club plot was so lame. I like the idea that White Pine Bay is this seedy place but I don't think the execution for these B storylines has turned out very well in any of the three seasons. 

• Love 5

I like the idea that White Pine Bay is this seedy place but I don't think the execution for these B storylines has turned out very well in any of the three seasons. 

I agree.

One of my favorite reveals over the course of three seasons is that Norma Bates is attracted to guys who look like her brother, Caleb. Until his introduction, I thought she was attracted to guys who look just like her son. I used to have the hardest time telling the difference between Dylan and deputy Zack Shelby.

• Love 3

It's been so sad to what Norman's progression from awkward guy who still could make friends to someone so isolated that the delusional version of his mother is his closest relationship.

• Love 2
(edited)

So I've started watching this show, 5 episodes in, I pretty much love it. Everyone is so dysfunctional yet somehow likable, it's perfect. My only complaint is the all the rape stuff, although at least it doesn't feel gratuitous and the guy from the pilot was punished immediately (hopefully Zack Shelby will meet a similar grisly fate eventually, not sure about the organizers of the sex slavery ring though). 

Emma seems to be the most normal character and I've found her the most relatable, but I like pretty much everyone. Norma, in particular, is a very complex and compelling character and I'd say even rather original for TV, as far as female protagonists go.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2
(edited)

Norman cooking breakfast as Norma and Dylan's WTF was definitely the highlight for me.

I gotta agree that the B plots on this show can be kinda weak. This season, the Arcanum Club stuff and the murders seemed to have more potential than what we got--although that setup did lead to some interesting developments and character moments. Flash drive *yawn* .

Still not crazy about the Aww, gosh young love vibes from Dylan and Emma, but I do want those two to survive the series and get the hell out of that town.

Maybe because it's fresh in my mind, but I think I liked this season the best, even with the disappointing Arcanum/flash drive drama. The show really went far this season. Oh, Norman.

Edited by indeed
  • Love 2

Finished season one, and I still really like the show. I've always liked Nestor Carbonell, and the reveal that Romero isn't such a bad guy felt pretty satisfying. I'm intrigued by his dynamic with Norma, it feels like he's the only major character who stands up to her on the regular basis.

The Boob Fairy was murdered! Which was kinda obvious for a while now, but I don't mind. I don't think Normal was the one to kill her, but we'll see. 

Bradley is probably the only character whom I don't like. She's become pretty annoying and one-note. And the actress is probably the worst in the ensemble.

I feel like I'm more intrigued by Dylan/Norma dynamic than Norman/Norma, for some reason. And I'm kinda rooting for Dylan to make it. I've never seen Psycho, but I've heard he's not there, which probably means he gets killed earlier... but what if he doesn't? Hope springs eternal.

I've never seen Vera Farmiga before in anything, and she's absolute perfection. Can't believe she didn't get any Emmies or whatnot.

• Love 2

I love the Dylan/Norma dynamic; they've come a looooong way from early episodes. I like Dylan/Norman, too, when they're allowed to have their moments.

Vera Farmiga is great in this role. But she's usually quite good.

• Love 3

First half of season 2:

Yay, they've got rid of Bradley! But I'm sure she'll return at some point. Still, it's so nice to see a show actually understanding its problematic moments and weak actors and doing a course-correction.

I was pretty sure Dylan's a product of incest but it was still so sad to see him learn it and snap at Norma. I don't even know whom to root for in this situation because everyone is relatable and understandable. I really hope Dylan's downward spiral won't be too deep. I know Dylan/Emma is a popular ship in the fandom, so he'll probably be OK for a while, at least, otherwise I can't see Emma ever having a thing for him (meanwhile, on the show, she's all about the pot-dealing cupcake boy, and good for her, he's really cute).

And speaking about ships, I'm really intrigued by Norma and Romero. There's definitely a spark there. Love their interactions, so much belligerence. 

I have to say, one thing the show does well is contrasting the darkness and the lighter stuff. There are murders, rape, incest, sex slavery, drug dealing, morally ambiguous protagonists (hell, is Emma the only one on the main cast who hasn't murdered anyone?) but there are some pretty hilarious sequences like Norma at the city council hearing or smacking the guy who sold her the motel, or stoned!Emma, and some sweet scenes as well. Balance is the best, I've always maintained that.

• Love 3
(edited)

Overall, season 2 has been a bit weaker than season 1, imho. There's been way too much focus on the drug war, which was only heavily related to Dylan and much less to Norman and Norma. Poor Emma has been sidelined, aside from her short romance with the cupcake boy (where did he disappear to so fast?) Getting rid of Bradley was nice, but then they've replaced her with Cody for a few episodes and I can't say I cared much about her either (although the actress was a bit better). Also, speaking about Bradley... Didn't Dylan tell her to confess in killing Gil in her "suicide" note? But a few episodes later, Zane is still 100% sure Nick Ford's people were guilty in that. Did Bradley lie to Dylan or is it a continuity mistake? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong, I dunno.

I really feel like separating Dylan from the other main characters was a wrong decision. I like him a lot but I could never muster much interest in crazy and one-note Zane or his sister who had potential which has never been fully realized. After Caleb's departure the show took a dive in quality until the last 2 episodes, and I think that Dylan being away from the motel was one of the main reasons.

The one character who was explored and presented better in season 2 was Romero. I have to admit, I'm totally shipping him with Norma now. Such a glorious trainwreck. I really hope they'll have sex at least once before her inevitable death. So much unresolved sexual tension, it's criminal.

I didn't quite understand why the show wasted so much time on Christine and her brother played by Michael Vartan. They felt extraneous. First, I was intrigued by the idea of Norma getting a female friend, but it just went nowhere.

Norman has become way less likable this season, which I guess is the point, but it still feels so sad... which is also the point. It's interesting how the show demostrates that it's not just nature, or just nurture that screws a person up to the point of making him a psycho. It's the combination of these factors plus luck (well, misfortune, actually). So many coincidences, so many chances to avoid his fate... It's really a tragedy, not in the classical sense, but more like an update with some new ideas. Overall, I find Norman the hardest character to watch, and I'm pretty sure it's going to only get worse.

I've already said that the last 2 episodes felt like a return to form, but I have to mention that the season finale was simply sublime. Probably the best episode of the show so far. That Norma/Dylan scene gave me all the feels. Outstanding. I loved them so much and wanted them to be happy despite everything. And Norman preparing for suicide was also great, his dance with Norma (with the requisite incest subtext of course, Bates Motel wouldn't be the same without it) and talk with Emma were perfect and perfectly sad. And then there was the confronation in the woods, which was just transcendent. Seriously, it was absolutely entrancing, the whole idea of a person fighting against their destiny and their darker self is something I'm always interested in and in that moment, I didn't care about canon, I wanted for Norman to succeed despite all the odds against him. Even the kiss didn't feel squicky, just desperate. It's weird, I just don't see all the incest subtext between them as actually incest-y, this is just two messed-up, codependent people.

I have to admit, I didn't think Norman would be the one to kill Blaire Watson... but I still liked the ultimate resolution. It felt right. The double subversion device was used correctly and to a good purpose. Kudos to the writers. Looking forward to season 3, after which I guess I'll have to wait ages for the next one *grumbles*

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

I didn't quite understand why the show wasted so much time on Christine and her brother played by Michael Vartan. They felt extraneous. First, I was intrigued by the idea of Norma getting a female friend, but it just went nowhere.

My only takeaway from that whole subplot was that Norma's bad at relationships. Which we already knew.

According to an Entertainment Weekly interview with Michael Vartan:

“What’s funny about George is that I was told absolutely nothing. Literally, until the third or fourth episode, he didn’t have a last name, he didn’t have a profession, didn’t really know if he was a good or a bad guy. So it was kinda fun to go into it with literally no expectations,” Vartan says. “In those first few episodes, Vera [Farmiga] and I used to make things up: He was a ballet instructor. He had a wooden leg. He was born without a penis. All that kind of stuff. So it was fun times.”
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'm just not feeling Caleb, sorry to say. I mean, I really like the concept, it's interesting, his relationships should be compelling, but the actor does nothing for me and has no chemistry with Dylan. I was so angry Dylan yet again got locked away from the main story, but episode 4 has calmed my fears (I've just finished watching it), Caleb/Dylan talk about Caleb's history with Norma was interesting (but still, no chemistry, argh!) and then we got a delicious Norman/Dylan confrontation. Wow, this is really a love triangle. So fucked up. I think it's telling that the best sexual chemistry on the show is Norma and her two sons. Although I still don't see this show as truly incest-y (other than Norma/Caleb backstory). I just don't see Norma even thinking about having sex with Norman.

Speaking of chemistry, there's definitely a spark between Dylan and Emma. Looking forward to more scenes between the two of them. And, of course, Normero are still great together, shipping the hell out of them. (That scene in episode 2 with him leaving the motel was sooo awkward! They are like 2 teenagers)

It feels like the murder of Ms. Watson last year was the turning point for Norman. He's so much creepier this season! Even his mother is starting to be creeped out by him. I'm so afraid for Emma even if I'm spoiled and I know she's not the one who dies in the season finale. I just don't understand what she sees in this guy.

So far, the Arcanum plot is not bad, much more interesting than last season's drug wars, plus it nicely contributes to the Twin Peaks-esque atmosphere of White Pine Bay. And it gives Romero more screentime and a more active role, which I definitely approve of. I hope he'll get some backstory soon.

Speaking about drugs, I'm already over Dylan's farm and neighbor. Yawn.

PS Also, this season's been really hilarious so far! I mean, first Norma vs. the bypass sign, then Emma driving a car full of marijuana plants and then, best of all, Norma trying to hack Annika Johnson's flash drive. The last one just slayed me.

Edited by FurryFury

That was one of my biggest gripes about the show--keeping Dylan separated from the house/motel/his family (particularly in season 2 IIRC)--but they seemed to integrate him better in season 3. Still spent too much time with Caleb IMO, but then I'd rather see him interacting with just about anybody else. Caleb can get on my nerves sometimes.

I think the big turning point for Norman was that whole in a box buried alive thing. No reason for therapy for that either!

One of the few things I liked about Arcanum throughout the season was Bob. Such a jerk, but I like that actor.

Yes, Bates Motel does provide some humorous moments--often from Norma, it seems. You need some humor...

• Love 1
think the big turning point for Norman was that whole in a box buried alive thing. No reason for therapy for that either!

I think it was the realization that he was the one to kill Ms Watson. He just couldn't process it, thus his suicide attempt, and now he can't find a way to express all this rage and fear inside him. 

Yes, Bates Motel does provide some humorous moments--often from Norma, it seems. You need some humor...

I'm watching ep 5 and there's another great line. Emma to a guest: the password to Wi-Fi is "Mother". Ha!

• Love 3

Holy shit the show's gotten so good! I think I love this season. Romero shooting the wannabe sheriff was genuinely exciting, Dylan/Emma first "moment" was great and Norma running away and spiraling was so entrancing, I couldn't take my eyes away. And Norman in Norma mode was just chilling. Run away, Dylan! Run away, take Emma with you and never look back!

Also, I have to say that I HATE the shrink. I don't know if it's "Die for our ship" speaking (I mean I totally ship Norma with Romero) or whatever, but this guy just came out of nowhere and doesn't really have any chemistry with her. Grr. Go away, stupid shrink! I don't care about you!

• Love 2

I HATE the shrink. I don't know if it's "Die for our ship" speaking (I mean I totally ship Norma with Romero) or whatever, but this guy just came out of nowhere and doesn't really have any chemistry with her. Grr. Go away, stupid shrink! I don't care about you!

I think James Finnigan's purpose was to make Norman feel betrayed by Norma.

And to be yet another guy for Norma to fall for that kinda looks like Caleb. As was Michael Vartan's character, whose name was apparently George Helden. (Thanks, IMDB!) Or Deputy Zack Shelby. Norma definitely has a type—which makes me think that Normero is endgame. She finally breaks a pattern, and gets knifed for it.

Sam Bates didn't really look like Caleb much in the flashbacks with his death, but maybe I'm misremembering. But the other guys she hooked up with, sure. Wonder how her first husband looked like and if we'll ever see him.

I think Norman already felt betrayed by Norma because of all the secrecy with Dylan and then her telling Romero about Norman being the last to see Annika in the beginning of the season. And then she ran away, it was definitely a huge blow. Anyway, after 6 eps I don't see the purpose of this guy but I hope the show won't disappoint me, this season's my favorite so far.

• Love 2
(edited)

Finished season 3! God, I have so many feelings and thoughts about this show, it's killing me. I'm incredibly sorry I didn't check it out earlier so I could watch this season on a weekly basis, because with binging, most of the impressions are always getting lost. Anyways, I'll try to sum up some of them.

First of all, I want to say I've read all the episode threads about the season on these boards and I was blown away by all the intelligent, in-depth comments I've seen. You rock, guys! I didn't agree with many of them (for instance, I was taken aback that some people didn't believe Norman had killed Sam or Ms Watson), but almost all the arguments were presented in a detailed, thoughtful manner. I follow a lot of boards here because I generally watch a lot of shows, but this board is one of the best, if not the best. 

As for the show in general, I never expected to love it so much. I think season 3 was the best overall, followed by 1 and then 2 (the drug wars storyline and the marginalization of Dylan were the biggest reasons it wasn't as good, plus the city council storyline that went nowhere). Still, there's one big loss that happened this year for me, and it is Norman. When it comes to Norman and to a lesser extent other characters of the show, the thing that interests me the most is a meta one. How tricky is it to work with audience expectations and audience investment for a writer when it comes to such complex case as a budding serial killer? A lot of prestige drama shows just don't bother with making their leads likable, but for me, it's a deal-breaker. Villain or hero, I need to care for the lead, or at least an aspect of them, to truly invest in the show. This is why I sadly have to avoid a lot of cable dramas - 80% of the shows I watch are network stuff, even if I easily realize their shortcomings. But in this case, the writers went a more difficult - and ultimately more rewarding, at least for me - way. They've made Norman likable and rootable... Or at least, at first. However, this season gave us front row seats to showing how he turns into a monster, and while it was thrilling and riveting and terrifying, I couldn't help but stop really caring about him. It simply happened on the visceral level - no matter how you spin the tale, how you show Norman and Head!Norma personas as different (to the point of Head!Norma/Mother being the one to kill Bradly on-screen), how you play with the audience reactions by choosing Bradley - an unpopular character presented in a pretty bad way in the last 2 episodes (I mean, just  look at how she was all pissy at her mother for daring to move on after such an incredibly traumatic experience as losing both her husband and her daughter, it almost made me want to smack her) - the result is sill the same, Norman's done something absolutely unforgivable. This is the point where he stops being a tragic hero and becomes a villain. 

That said, I think it was inevitable, and the writers realize this too, obviously. Because the season has given us lots of other reasons to watch. Romero, who had been a puzzle for the longest time, has finally been explored, both his character and his relationship with Norma. Dylan was given a pretty big arc with his relationships with Caleb, Emma (both of which were new) and way more focus on his interactions with Norman and Norma. We got a new romance between two very likable characters, Dylan and Emma, while Norma has finally realized that Norman truly needs help and also managed to overcome her pain and hate of Caleb, beginning to heal. So there are some great reasons to watch even without Norman, who has basically transformed from a character to more of a force, the doom hanging over the other characters and damning at least some of them to their unfortunate fates.

As for those romantic relationships I've mentioned, I find it incredibly ironic that in all the shows I watch (and I watch like 15 or 20 or something like that), this is the only one where I find both romances genuinely interesting. I do think that Dylemma could have been written much better, however. There was almost no buildup and also, Emma has really suffered from losing her agency and proactiveness in the last 2 seasons (just remember her trying to investigate the sex slavery stuff in season 1!) That said, I loved her fear and hesitation over lung transplantation in the finale and her chemistry with Dylan is simply amazing. I can't say I ship them but I love them both and I want them to be happy. I hope the next season will plan out their storylines, together and separate, a bit better, because the other romance, Normero, writing- (and acting, of course, but this show overall has an incredibly high level of acting)-wise, is pure perfection. I think it's become my #1 OTP of all the ongoing shows. I see shades of a film noir story between them - even if Norma is a bit of a deconstruction, if not outright parody, of a femme fatale character - because of the whole theme of a character (Romero) trapped between his morality and his love for a damaged woman. Overall, dysfunctional relationships (and especially romantic relationships) that still manage to somehow be rootable and likable are my crack, and this is a prime example of one - and it also manages to have great build-up and a lot of belligerence (which is another of my weak spots). So, really, it's like tailor-made for me.

Overall, I'm psyched about the show and am already mourning the fact that I'll have to wait ages for it to come back (has it been officially renewed? Please tell me it was!) Hopefully next year I'll be discussing it in real time - and also, that the quality of writing will not drop, because it's so rare to see a show getting better with time.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 6

I've read all the episode threads about the season on these boards and I was blown away by all the intelligent, in-depth comments I've seen. You rock, guys! I didn't agree with many of them (for instance, I was taken aback that some people didn't believe Norman had killed Sam or Ms Watson), but almost all the arguments were presented in a detailed, thoughtful manner.

Emma has really suffered from losing her agency and proactiveness in the last 2 seasons (just remember her trying to investigate the sex slavery stuff in season 1!)

Dysfunctional relationships (and especially romantic relationships) that still manage to somehow be rootable and likable are my crack, and [Normero] is a prime example of one—and it also manages to have great build-up and a lot of belligerence (which is another of my weak spots). So, really, it's like tailor-made for me.

Has it been officially renewed? Please tell me it was!

Not yet.

(edited)

Is there any danger it will be canceled? I'll be crushed if it happens. I've never watched anything on A&E so I've no idea how they renew shows.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

It's not official, but weeks ago sounded like it was a given based on this article: http://when-will.net/tv-series/1047-will-there-be-bates-motel-season-4-release-date.html. It's making me nervous it's taking so long, though.

UPDATED May 20, 2015: Great news for the fans of the Psycho prequel. Just one week after season 3 major cliffhanger finale of Bates Motel, we received news that the series will get renewed for another season. The A&E channel is yet to make an official announcement, but one of the executive producers of Bates Motel, Kerry Ehrin, wrote on Twitter that she was already informed two months ago that a fourth season is a go. The release date of Bates Motel season 4 is yet to be scheduled, so check back with us for the latest on the show, or subscribe to our updates to get automatically notified as soon as it is announced.

• Love 1

I'm glad others are enjoying Bates Motel. It's one of my favorite shows and one of the few that hasn't been a disappoint this TV season. While I do think Dylan's feelings for Emma came out of nowhere. When I saw the way he was staring at her when she drove his pot plants to him, he was looking at her like, "this girl is amazing!" I also think his attachment to her stems from she's seen the crazy in his family and still wants to hang around them. How many girls is he going to find that do that. 

Normero is an intense, crazy relationship that is so much fun to watch. Romero's is another that sees the crazy and keeps being drawn back to Norma. He did annoy me a bit this season with his instance that Norma betray her son and get all angry when she couldn't. Even if Norman wasn't a Psycho a mother wouldn't give her son up. Then when they both knew what they were talking about and she said he already knows, he kept insisting that she say it out loud to him. Why? He already knows Norman murdered his father. Why did he need Norma to tell him explicitly what happened?

I hope next season Dylan stays with his family. I didn't like that they brought Caleb back, I was happy when he left in S2. The Bates Family plus Emma and Romero make the show. An episode or two of them separated is fine, but not season long arcs. 

• Love 1
Normero is an intense, crazy relationship that is so much fun to watch. Romero's is another that sees the crazy and keeps being drawn back to Norma. He did annoy me a bit this season with his instance that Norma betray her son and get all angry when she couldn't. Even if Norman wasn't a Psycho a mother wouldn't give her son up.

He wasn't thinking logically at this moment. He was just hurt and heartbroken. Plus, Norma did tell the shrink guy about Norman, so he had cause to assume it was him she didn't trust, not that it was hurtful for her in general. I can't really blame him for that moment because all characters on the show are fucked up, him included.

Then when they both knew what they were talking about and she said he already knows, he kept insisting that she say it out loud to him. Why? He already knows Norman murdered his father. Why did he need Norma to tell him explicitly what happened?

Because it wasn't about the information at all, it was about her opening up to him, something Romero desperately wants. Trust issues are basically the biggest obstacle between these two and he genuinely tried to breach that void (of course, he wasn't successful, Norma being Norma). 

I didn't like that they brought Caleb back, I was happy when he left in S2.

Yeah I have to say, Caleb's been a disappointment. I mean, I get what they were trying to do and I really appreciate that it let Norma get over her childhood trauma somewhat and start healing, but the actual storyline was kinda meh and, IMHO, kinda petered out in the end. But then, him dying would also be a cop-out, so I dunno. Still, making him a regular for a whole season was a mistake.

• Love 2

Any news on renewal?  I'm getting worried.  Obviously they are going to need a heads up so they can start writing and casting for the next season. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Any news on renewal?  I'm getting worried.  Obviously they are going to need a heads up so they can start writing and casting for the next season. 

I'm a little concerned as well now. I still can't believe that this one is on the fence. I checked the ratings and they admittedly are lower from the first and second seasons. Also as Editorgrrl touched on upthread, the renewals from other two seasons both came during April while the current season at the time was still airing. Hmm.

I'm trying to think what else could have happened to cause the delay? I assume whatever it is will be related to the money but you'd think if the show just had crap ratings that they'd be fine with canceling it and letting people know. 

Edited by Avaleigh

Yeah, I feel like I'm 95% sure it's coming back it's just the delay that makes it all curious. It's not like this is a case of the actors having expired contracts or not being available or trying to renegotiate and get more money or something. I wonder if there could be a problem with the producers?  

• Love 1

Dot, I'm glad you're here! I have a question, seeing as how you know about killing people and putting them in trunks and all...

Do you shower immediately after you kill someone? I'm asking because Mick and I are re-watching season one (we're on episode 3), and we're beginning to think Norma actually killed her husband. If you remember, she was in the shower when Norman "discovered" his Dad's body in the garage. Add to that Dylan's questions about the insurance, we're not sure exactly what happened. I know Norman had flash-backs, but if it's planted in your head that you were responsible and you were unstable to begin with, could you start to believe it's true? Could this be what turned him into a monster?

Dot, I'm glad you're here! I have a question, seeing as how you know about killing people and putting them in trunks and all...

Do you shower immediately after you kill someone?

Well, that would depend on the story you planned on telling, I would think. If you wanted to say it was self defense or something like that, then I think you might want to stay dirty and messy and bloody and a shower might look like you were trying to hide something. Accidental death though, you might want to wash off that blood and gore so no one was the wiser. And you thought it was scary I was considering trunk space. ;)

See, this is what I love about this show...it's a total mind screw! Both Norman and Norma are unreliable narrators--Norman because he sees shit that isn't real; and Norma because she is fast and loose with the truth--and they are our POV most of the time. So, you never are really sure what's real and what isn't and really either camp has valid arguments that make sense.

Personally I never questioned whether Norman killed his father, that always seemed perfectly clear to me from episode one even though they didn't give Norma's accounting of it till the end of the season. However, I know there's been a lot of other folks who question it and I can totally see why. I do question whether Norman killed Ms. Watson, though. But that's more in part due the show failing to convince me Norman's "memories" were real and part due to me thinking it's more interesting that Norman thinks he killed her and becomes what he does based on his own faulty memories. But really, it could go either way.

• Love 1

"Unreliable narrators" is an understatement! When we watched the show in real time, I never doubted Norman killed his Dad, but on re-watch? And than Mick had to go and ask, "Why isn't Norman all bloody when we first see him?" Oh and I do agree, the ambiguity of this show is half the fun! It's driving me crazy!

Not as crazy as some 'unnamed" people on this site, but I'm catching up!

• Love 2

I just decided to watch this and started last night.  So why the hell isn't season 3 on Comcast On Demand when the first two are?  I'll have to yell at them when I get close to the end of season 2.

• Love 1

Okay, liking this one so far.  This is kind of like Psycho meets Twin Peaks.  The whole town is creepy, lol.  I really like the dynamic between Norma and Norman and Norma and Dylan.  I guess Emma is the Velma of the Scooby Gang.  Norman kind of reminds me of Lex Luthor in the first season of Smallville, still a good guy on the surface but one where you can see the cracks starting to form.  Looking forward to more.

• Love 2

I'm watching ep 5 and there's another great line. Emma to a guest: the password to Wi-Fi is "Mother". Ha!

"MOTHER - All caps."  Somebody behind the scenes said that was the on-the-spot brainchild of Nestor Carbonell, who directed the episode.

• Love 1

I was just watching some earlier clips from the show and came to realize Norman's father was named Sam.  I have no idea whether it means anything, but I thought the idea that Madeline's husband was also named was interesting.  

• Love 1

I happened to check out a clip from YouTube and I believe it was from season 3. Anyway Norman I believe is in a public bathroom and is looking in a mirror when mother makes one of her few out of the ordinary appearances and is behind him. I don't know if at first they were toying with the idea of having the Mother character in Norman's mind dress like an old lady but she was there. Well not so much an old lady but they made vera farming look very unattractive. She was wearing a very very plain gray dressed with hair pinned back very tightly. Obviously nothing like Normas style.  I am glad they did not make this the ultimate choice for mother but made her identical to Norma except the fact that notice mother never wears dresses but business suits. I think it's because mother is just an extension of Norman and he always dresses nice.

• Love 1

I want to know how it works cause I watched all of the seasons 1-3. I am on season 4 I though I understood this but when I got to the part where Carob was in the basement dead they both carried him up in the car to the boat and dumped him. I thought that he was her and she was him and when she took over he was evil but that can not be cause if that is true he would not have been able to carry the body up the stairs in the the trunk all that he did by himself with no help and a lot of things are going on that are impossible unless she is a ghost. A ghost that can touch and do things to other things then Norman. This message is not putting down the movie this is a person that is desperate in knowing how it works cause I am far into this now and I watched in a long ways it is 3/20 its on tonight and I'm lost in this part of it so I need help to understand

It's just him. He thinks it's his mom doing the bad stuff but she is truly dead and he becomes his mom when he murders. So he carried the frozen dead guy up and out to trunk by himself. Yeah, hard to believe. There is a lot of things in the show that seem impossible or unrealistic... it is what it is. I like the show for the amazing acting,

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Stringey said:

I happened to check out a clip from YouTube and I believe it was from season 3. Anyway Norman I believe is in a public bathroom and is looking in a mirror when mother makes one of her few out of the ordinary appearances and is behind him. I don't know if at first they were toying with the idea of having the Mother character in Norman's mind dress like an old lady but she was there. Well not so much an old lady but they made vera farming look very unattractive. She was wearing a very very plain gray dressed with hair pinned back very tightly. Obviously nothing like Normas style.  I am glad they did not make this the ultimate choice for mother but made her identical to Norma except the fact that notice mother never wears dresses but business suits. I think it's because mother is just an extension of Norman and he always dresses nice.

Also Norma always dressed very femininely. Norman may be Mother in his mind, but he's still a dude. He wouldn't have the same sense of style that Norma did. When he went over to Madeline's place she was wearing his favorite dress of Norma's, which I believe at some point last season he took to bed with him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Lol. You and I certainly have an eye for fashion!

Heh! I don't have half your talent! I have to thank you again for Heart of Haute! It's my favorite shopping site, and I love everything I've bought from them.

What to be my personal shopper! Please?

But seriously, I enjoy the fashion in this show as much as I do when watching old movies. Love the retro feminine look. Vera Farmiga pulls the look off perfectly!

• Love 1
Just now, Mick Lady said:

Heh! I don't have half your talent! I have to thank you again for Heart of Haute! It's my favorite shopping site, and I love everything I've bought from them.

What to be my personal shopper! Please?

But seriously, I enjoy the fashion in this show as much as I do when watching old movies. Love the retro feminine look. Vera Farmiga pulls the look off perfectly!

Thank you. I too love the fashions in old movies. The twenties, thirties, forties and fifties. They really knew how to design for real women. Today? Not so much.

• Love 3