Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The Flag House

• Start Topic

I"m not sure why so many people are mad at the CPS worker.  It's been made pretty clear that she in acting on information from Dar Adal, but that she also genuinely believes that Frannie is in danger with Carrie.  I think the sick call situation was exactly what she said too--Dar ha a call made to someone else that Frannie was sick, and then when Carrie didn't give the deposition, he had someone call to say it was a different child.  I think she is being seriously played by Dar, but I don't think she has evil intent.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I"m not sure why so many people are mad at the CPS worker.  It's been made pretty clear that she in acting on information from Dar Adal, but that she also genuinely believes that Frannie is in danger with Carrie.  I think the sick call situation was exactly what she said too--Dar ha a call made to someone else that Frannie was sick, and then when Carrie didn't give the deposition, he had someone call to say it was a different child.  I think she is being seriously played by Dar, but I don't think she has evil intent.

She's definitely not in on Dar's evil plot. Dar picked an inexperienced worker who is easily manipulated. 

On 3/28/2017 at 10:11 AM, double-elvis said:

I’m a couple of episodes behind so this question may seem out of place but in the episode when the CPS woman first meets with Carrie she originally asks if there is anyone else Frannie can stay with and Carrie says her sister, but she’s in France. It just made me wonder, are Brody’s other children aware they have a half-sister? Or even Brody’s ex-wife?

On 3/28/2017 at 7:05 PM, Pallas said:

I think they don't know, because Carrie hasn't told Franny that her father is Nicholas Brody -- which still begs the question of what the country has been told about Brody's life and death. When Adal came calling on Carrie at Franny's school, he made a point of noting that Franny has red hair -- implying that he could out Brody as the father, and that this news would not be embraced by the public. I imagine O'Keefe has a tape ready to go...in fact, that may be what the Quinn photo was part of: a rogue's gallery of Carrie's terrorist swains and German billionaire, refugee-loving, bleeding-heart patron.

I still love this show but the Franny subplot is making me nuts. Even though Carrie's got a four-panel yarn wall it took forever for her to put Dar together with her daughter's removal. Then despite the fact she could get the PE on her side for this (or call hot German guy to use his influence) she returns her child to the social worker. I know we know the chick from 2 & a Half Men is a pawn but Carrie doesn't know that; she also doesn't know who is keeping her daughter. At this point I would welcome Dana to come back and raise her sister. 

I'm unclear about Robert Knepper's role. He was uncredited (I think) for the flashback but he's a big-time general, no? Does Dar have people from all walks of life running black ops?  

Even though she's insanely naive and easily led, I did like the little moment in the scene between Keane and Adal where she sat back in her chair and took a man stance with her legs, instead of sitting like a lady.

• Love 4
On 3/26/2017 at 11:24 PM, mjc570 said:

My major disappointment is with Keane - I really had hoped she would prove to be a worthy opponent of Dal, but she doesn't seem too smart.  I understand she was of course appalled at that awful smear about her son - but why hasn't it occurred to anyone to get a speech analyst to see what he was actually saying?  I know (ugh, based on reality) that it is nearly impossible to counter false perceptions with the truth, but she has access to people who are also very good at dealing with PR and communications, and could help her go on the offensive.  Of course, that video from Max (and he better be ok!  I assume that was another phone that did not have the video on it, and he had ditched the other, maybe with the guy who seems to be his acolyte) should be ammo enough, especially in Saul's hands. 

I really wish that, after Dal was saying about his goal was protecting the United States, that the President Elect had called him out for what a crappy job he had been doing.

On 3/28/2017 at 10:35 PM, slowpoked said:

And his loyalty to Carrie is something else. I mean, as far as we know they don't have a working relationship anymore ever since Carrie exited the CIA. And Max wasn't too fond of Carrie after feeling like she didn't protect Fara enough from Haqqani. And yet, here they are, Carrie's first call to help her sort things out on this bombing and mysterious buildings and security setup was Max. And Max basically took care of Carrie's house whenever she's not there. 

After watching this episode I was thinking of Max, and it made me wonder what happened to the other guy from Season 1 that worked with Max that Carrie hired to bug the Brody house.

• Love 2

Also if they want to go after Dar and not Saul, why not go after him for what he pulled in season 4 cutting the deal with Haqqani and letting him go free after taking over the embassy? That had to have been illegal.

• Love 1

It's on! But in the war of Dar v PEOTUS it all depends on what they're prepared to lose - Dar may be able to destroy her Presidency, but if he pushes her hard enough, she has the power to abolish the CIA (and certainly to sack Dar). But in any case, she is under no obligation to re-appoint Dar as CIA (Deputy?) Director - even if she can't get "her" candidate appointed to a possibly hostile Congress, she can appoint an "interim" candidate to fill the post, if I'm remembering my US Constitutional Law correctly

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:00 AM, SimoneS said:

Dar didn't look happy that the guy is creating a smear campaign against Quinn.

That was your take? Looked to me more like, "Shame to have to smear Peter - it's a dirty business but has to be done". He probably thinks the same about Saul, too.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:33 AM, attica said:

"Hey, Mira, I'm telling you where I'm disappearing to, so don't tell anybody else!" That seems....like bad tradecraft.

To me too - which is why I assumed it was a misdirect. It's ideal in fact, because Mira probably WILL stonewall for a while and only THEN give up the info that he's in Italy (or wherever he said).

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:24 AM, mjc570 said:

I assume that was another phone that did not have the video on it, and he had ditched the other, maybe with the guy who seems to be his acolyte

Whenever I see two people "accidentally" bump into each other on TV, I assume it's to make a hand off (or plant something on them).

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:12 AM, slowpoked said:

Saul is still facing repercussions for sleeping with a fellow agent. Or someone under his command.

It's the old situation of "Catch me, screw me*" - it's a question of who the blame lands on. Saul is certainly guilty of a breach of some sort of ethics guideline for sleeping with a subordinate - a rule that exists precisely to prevent officers being compromised by their personal lives. Saul is responsible both professionally (it was the office he was running that had the mole) and personally (he was sleeping with her!) Dar would have been in the clear (probably) if he hadn't helped cover it up.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:53 PM, Lemons said:

I was also confused when they killed her. What did people think happened to her [Allison]?

Presumably "died in the line of duty". Probably has a star at Langley, too. The CIA are notoriously tight lipped about how their people died at the best of times, which works in their favour when they're trying to cover up a mole.

* Often worded in stronger language!

(edited)

As for why Saul met with Mira at all, when he could have just left: I may be alone in this, but I felt the reason was that old thing called love. As much as Saul knows that the smart thing is not to meet her at all and just disappear forever, he can't. He can't do that to her, or himself. When he's in lifelong exile, he needs to know that she knows he's safe. Love's a funny thing.

As for why Saul told Mira his exact destination: I don't think he was lying, because there wouldn't be much to gain by lying. If he gave her a false destination, and the agency got Mira to tell them that false destination, and they raided it and found no Saul, the most it would set the agency back is a couple of days. After which their investigation be no more set back than before they talked to Mira. Costing the agency two days wouldn't be worth the trouble of lying to her.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 4
On ‎3‎.‎4‎.‎2017 at 4:30 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

I really wish that, after Dal was saying about his goal was protecting the United States, that the President Elect had called him out for what a crappy job he had been doing.

I don't think Dar is protecting his country but his own interests and those of his group.

Generally speaking, one can protect one's country in such methods that take away all valuable things the country has, so in the end there is nothing to protect.  

Edited by Roseanna
On ‎28‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 10:58 AM, WaltersHair said:

Yes. I just can't like her and new episodes have made her the worse for wear, not better. I also had the feeling she'd sell Carrie down the river to save herself, her presidency, and her son's reputation. In that regard, she's no better in my book than Dar.

How so? In this season Dar has killed people, manipulated Carrie, Saul and PEOTUS, given false intelligence information. tried to lead the foreign policy which he has no right to do etc. So far, PEOTUS hasn't done anything evil, only been a bit insecure whom to trust and how to act. 

Even if she chose to "sell Carrie down the river" (of which there is no hint, nor is it needed as Saul's testimony would be enough), that's what the President has sometimes to do: put the interests of the country before personal relationships.

Ultimately, it's a question on whose policy one thinks is right. 

On ‎28‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 5:11 PM, double-elvis said:

I’m a couple of episodes behind so this question may seem out of place but in the episode when the CPS woman first meets with Carrie she originally asks if there is anyone else Frannie can stay with and Carrie says her sister, but she’s in France. It just made me wonder, are Brody’s other children aware they have a half-sister? Or even Brody’s ex-wife? Not that I’m suggesting they would take her but it just made me wonder if they kids know they have a little red-headed sister running around. And if they don’t know, has an explanation been given for why Carrie did not notify them?

Why would she tell them? Brody's daughter changed her surname and told her dad that she didn't wish ever to meet him. Brody's wife is probably remarried with her lover and put the past behind her. 

Also in normal circumstances, it would be a shock to a widow to learn that her husband has a child with another woman. It would be better to let her keep happy, if false, memories.  

On ‎5‎.‎4‎.‎2017 at 2:56 PM, John Potts said:

It's on! But in the war of Dar v PEOTUS it all depends on what they're prepared to lose - Dar may be able to destroy her Presidency, but if he pushes her hard enough, she has the power to abolish the CIA (and certainly to sack Dar). But in any case, she is under no obligation to re-appoint Dar as CIA (Deputy?) Director - even if she can't get "her" candidate appointed to a possibly hostile Congress, she can appoint an "interim" candidate to fill the post, if I'm remembering my US Constitutional Law correctly.

Yes. It would be better if the PEOTUS concentrated on this matter, not on his son's reputation (although it breaks her heart).  

On ‎27‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 6:24 AM, mjc570 said:

My major disappointment is with Keane - I really had hoped she would prove to be a worthy opponent of Dal, but she doesn't seem too smart.  I understand she was of course appalled at that awful smear about her son - but why hasn't it occurred to anyone to get a speech analyst to see what he was actually saying?  I know (ugh, based on reality) that it is nearly impossible to counter false perceptions with the truth, but she has access to people who are also very good at dealing with PR and communications, and could help her go on the offensive.  

The PEOTUS should search for the original video that was on the helmet of a soldier. And one of them wasn't keen to testify, so he could easily have made to contradict it. And it would be better that somebody impartially looking would reveal these things, not she as naturally a mother defends her son.

Unfortunately, people doesn't care for the truth. They believe what they want to believe.

Actually, it wouldn't mean one bit what the PEOTUS's son did or didn't do in the war. His mother isn't responsible for that. And physical courage isn't the same as moral courage. 

On ‎27‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 10:23 AM, scrb said:

It's still going to be far fetched that the national security establishment is going to be actively working to undermine Keane.  Or are we to believe only Dar and the talk radio guy are doing all this on their own?  No matter how much they hate Keane, it's hard to believe they'd orchestrate a fake terrorist attack on NYC which leads to casualties, kill an FBI agent, kill a German intelligence officer and kill a former CIA operative.

That's some 24-level of ridiculous conspiratorial bullshit -- even with some 24 producers also serving as producers on Homeland as well.

Wasn't Brody's story even more far-fetched? This is a show.

What I find most unlikely is that Dar openly challenged the PEOTUS with his list into her Cabinet which he must have known she didn't accept. Why didn't he blackmail her with the video about her son ("if you accept, it will not be published"). Now that it is published, the PEOTUS isn't so angry she will never accept Dar's terms - except if there will be a real crisis and Dar is needed.      

On ‎27‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 10:48 PM, theschnauzers said:

Quinn has always had this sixth sense about things with his abilities of observation and connections. Getting him off all those meds at the beginning of the season allowed that to come back. Hence his observations about the BCG once he was living his Carrie's basement. He may not ever fully physically recover, but intellectually, he already has. Somehow, he connected the ping of the cellphone to that diner with the house from the neighborhood (perhaps because he knew Dar's habits so well.) So stumbling across that bakery truck in the garage of that house was fortuitous. Just like Max being at that social media weaponized hack central, and seeing Dar show up. I honestly don't think Quinn will ever be 100 percent after the damage from the sarin gas; but a 98 percent, or even a 90 percent effective Quinn is still a better operative than just about anyone else out there. As to Carrie, I think she's been on a compliant meds regimen these past two seasons. Just like Quinn was this season once Carrie got him away from the VA, some professionals like to over prescribe meds since its easier for them, not the patient.

I believe that irl Quinn would never have become able to work again in jobs that needs clear thinking. But I accept that this is a show.

On ‎27‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 7:39 PM, slowpoked said:

So let me get this straight - Dar Adal becomes this season's big bad villain just because he does not agree with the PEOTUS' policies of keeping the country safe? I feel like there's still something much bigger than that but it's taking a while to get there. Last episode implies that someone else is pulling the strings, not Dar. Could it be that Senator that Saul had a drink with in the first episode? 

Dar has become a villain because he has killed people, falsified intelligence information, maintained that instead of the President who had won the election, he and CIA has the right to lead the foreign policy even if nobody has elected them to do it - not to speak of manipulating the heroine and hero of the show, Carrie and Saul.

But you may be right that somebody more powerful can be behind Dar. Could it be that he is ordered by the POTUS whose politics is different from that of the PEOTUS?

On ‎2‎.‎4‎.‎2017 at 6:21 AM, chick binewski said:

I still love this show but the Franny subplot is making me nuts. Even though Carrie's got a four-panel yarn wall it took forever for her to put Dar together with her daughter's removal. Then despite the fact she could get the PE on her side for this (or call hot German guy to use his influence) she returns her child to the social worker. I know we know the chick from 2 & a Half Men is a pawn but Carrie doesn't know that; she also doesn't know who is keeping her daughter.  

How so? There is no doubt that the child protection has taken Franny (even if Dar is manipulating them) and Carrie knows well even the family she is living in. 

I don't know how the things work irl in the USA, but here the President or ministers can't order these things. Even if the PEOTUS could do it in the show, Dar still could use other things, such as threaten to murder Franny to press Carrie.

First of all, it had to be shown that Carrie has changed and she will no more endanger her daughter for her work - which she did when she went to Sekoy's family and left Franny with Quinn. Franny's fears were real after the event but Carrie didn't take them seriously, taking her back to her house. 

Unlike Carrie, Saul's motive not to testify (putting his reputation before the interets of his country) isn't valid and I am happy that Mira made him to see it.

Edited by Roseanna
Adding last sentence
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Roseanna said:

I don't think Dar is protecting his country but his own interests and those of his group.

Generally speaking, one can protect one's country in such methods that take away all valuable things the country has, so in the end there is nothing to protect.  

Agree with what you said and I am sure that Dar has always believed that what he was doing has been in the interest of protecting people. But it just seems interesting that his track record as far as national security is pretty terrible when you look at all the crap that had gone down on US soil since season 1. 

About the PEOTUS: she seems oddly lacking charisma without which, as far I know, it's difficult to become is the POTUS. She is totally work-oriented and has no intimate relationship (no husband, no lover, no other children, not even friends) after losing her son (who is both her talisman and her Achilles-heel). She is an idealist (she spoke even to Dar about going towards "the light" 250 years instead of national interests and pragmatic choices). She is strangely unsure considering that she is a Senator. She acts like a maverick although she must have had strong allies inside her party and media in order to win the elections.  

Yet I wonder, remembering Augustus by John Williams, if she really is what she seems. Could it be that at least a part of above is an act and she wants Dar to undervalue her. 

• Love 1

Hi, everyone! Just a reminder: episode threads are for discussing the episode in question. You can mention the events of prior episodes if they're relevant, but please don't spoil anything from subsequent ones. That means that this specific thread is for discussion of episodes up to season 6, episode 10, but not 6.11 or 6.12. Thanks!

For the character and media and other general topics, once an episode has aired in North America, it's fair game for discussion. Thanks!

After a very difficult beginning, I've really come around on this season and now think it's one of Homeland's best.

It's also incredibly prescient and timely (the sock puppets and Breitbart/Bannon guy orchestrating public opinions and whipping people into a frenzy over information he knows to be false has been so upsetting to watch -- and it's all happening all the time, right now). And after just finishing THE LOOMING TOWER (a splendid and thoughtful look at the rift between the CIA and FBI that contributed to 9/11), I can absolutely believe that relationships between intelligence and the other branches (and between different intelligence branches) would be this fraught, tension-filled, paranoid and destructive. And at least in fictional terms, I can believe Dar or someone similar would do all these things. It's all "acceptable losses" and "the end justifies the means" and "as long as I'm keeping America safe, it's worth it." etc.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:00 PM, theschnauzers said:

If Rupert Friend doesn't get an Emmy nomination for his work this season, it would be a massive injustice. What a phenomenal job he's done!

I've always loved Quinn, and Friend's portrayal of him, so this season has been so difficult to watch. But his performance has been absolutely splendid -- he's had to portray so many difficult and often scary or unlikable emotions and frustrations, but at the same time, it has felt very realistic to me in terms of both his PTSD and his TBI (I was a caregiver for a relative with one, and some of Rupert's facial and speech choices have been SPOOKILY accurate). And even with some genuinely terrible moments that were hard to watch -- the anger outbursts and violence (I will never quite get over him punching poor Astrid), he has made Quinn still so rootable and believable. And heartbreaking.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:11 PM, nara said:

I know.  I thought Dar would spot Max.  He didn't, but it's just as bad.  Glad he got the message out to Carrie/Saul.  I do like the idea of Dar objecting to the Quinn smear campaign.  Gives me a glimmer of hope about Dar.  Perhaps he'll die (and, yes, he must die) sacrificing himself for Quinn.  

I laughed at the pride in Saul's face when he realized that Carrie was connecting the dots.

It's strange, but of all the bad things Dar has done, smearing PEOTUS's son has made me the angriest.  We never even met the guy, but that's the thing for which I most want Dar to pay.  

All of these! I think Dar was very, very displeased at the glimpse of the smear campaign screen shot there, and that he would try to protect Quinn there.

On 3/27/2017 at 6:04 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Trent, you fucking snitch! If Max gets hurt because of your tattletale mouth, I am going to cut a bitch!

Totally loved the look on Saul's face when he got into Carrie's secret room of crazy string. He was so proud and delighted. I'm glad that Carrie has learned that despite what she thought in earlier seasons, she can still figure this stuff out even when she's on her meds.

Now hurry up and rescue Max so you guys can concentrate on taking down Dar Adal!

I hope that Keane gets to see the full footage eventually.

Me too on all of this! I hope poor Max is okay -- I've always loved him. And I loved Saul's face at Carrie's newest Wall of Crazy-Intuitive (because she's on her meds, which I love this season). Saul and Carrie are always the OTP in this universe for me -- they are family to each other, and it's something beyond romance for me.

On 3/28/2017 at 7:11 AM, sally-can-wait said:

It just made me wonder, are Brody’s other children aware they have a half-sister? Or even Brody’s ex-wife? Not that I’m suggesting they would take her but it just made me wonder if they kids know they have a little red-headed sister running around. And if they don’t know, has an explanation been given for why Carrie did not notify them?

I see this question brought up so often this season, and it confuses me. Why would Carrie notify them of anything regarding Franny? She has no obligation to, either morally or legally. And why in the world would it be a good idea to tell Brody's grieving wife and kids that Carrie had his baby? I can't see anything about that being a good thing, causing them anything but added grief, pain and confusion (much less the confusion it would cause poor Franny). I certainly don't think they would be a viable option as foster care for Franny, who doesn't know them and has never met them. The fact that she is biologically related doesn't mean she must automatically be a part of their lives.

On 3/28/2017 at 8:42 AM, Peanut Larue said:

Why in the world would Carrie, who is constantly awaiting news on her daughter, have her phone off so she couldn't be reached by Saul?! Ridiculous! Also, great security install, Max...lol..not much use for cameras when you have piece of cardboard over the broken window..kinda a stretch by the writers this episode..but I still love the show! 

She is enough of an agent to know to turn off (and hopefully disable) her phone when she's been called to a secret meeting at an undisclosed location. It's the middle of the night, so it's more than reasonable to me that she'd take care for her own safety for a short period of time. It's extremely unlikely that anything would come up about Franny during that brief period, and I'd imagine at this point, she's willing to take that chance, especially if it's something that can take down Dar (which would ultimately help her situation with Franny permanently).

On 4/1/2017 at 8:21 PM, chick binewski said:

I still love this show but the Franny subplot is making me nuts. Even though Carrie's got a four-panel yarn wall it took forever for her to put Dar together with her daughter's removal. Then despite the fact she could get the PE on her side for this (or call hot German guy to use his influence) she returns her child to the social worker. I know we know the chick from 2 & a Half Men is a pawn but Carrie doesn't know that; she also doesn't know who is keeping her daughter. At this point I would welcome Dana to come back and raise her sister. 

Carrie did explicitly ask the PEOTUS for help with Franny's situation, and Keane blatantly and coldly froze her out. Then, when Saul asks about these exact things as an option, Carrie responds that she's become aware that all attempts to manipulate or push back on the system will actually harm her situation further. I found it believable, since everyone involved isn't acting on Dar's instructions -- they aren't people to be bribed or manipulated, but instead genuinely believe Franny's situation needs to be stabilized.

As far as the second thought (Dana), I wrote more in my reply above to @sally-can-wait, but I don't understand how anyone could think Dana, who would either still be adolescent now or just into her twenties, would be a serious potential guardian for Franny under any circumstances. She had her own serious crises and mental health issues the last time we saw her, and as I noted before, I can't understand anyone thinking Franny's biological siblings or his former wife mean that they are entitled to foster Carrie's child by him (a child they are unaware of, as far as we know). I'd much rather Franny be where she is, honestly (in what appears to be a genuinely decent foster home with caring people), than in a situation that be rife with emotion, grief, pain and unresolved issues.

On 4/1/2017 at 9:56 PM, Addlepated said:

Even though she's insanely naive and easily led, I did like the little moment in the scene between Keane and Adal where she sat back in her chair and took a man stance with her legs, instead of sitting like a lady.

I liked that too, and also liked the acting in that entire scene between Keane and Dar. Keane was actually doing a pretty good job of dissembling, she just overdid it by the tiniest bit -- so I loved the moment Dar's eyes slide away and he realizes his situation has changed. F. Murray Abraham is SUCH a joy to watch as an actor. Dar may be evil, but he's absolutely wonderful to watch. Every little flicker on his face gives us some emotion or revelation.

On 4/5/2017 at 4:56 AM, John Potts said:

Looked to me more like, "Shame to have to smear Peter - it's a dirty business but has to be done". He probably thinks the same about Saul, too.

I definitely agree with you about Saul -- Dar has already shown himself willing to sacrifice Saul many times before now, and certainly this season. But I disagree on Peter Quinn -- I think however screwed-up Dar's relationship with him is (and oh, it really is), in whatever fucked-up way, that Dar actually does love Peter. And I thought his face in that moment was pure, quiet rage. I even went back and took a screenshot because it was so vivid to me -- I hope the attachment shows up below!

On 4/7/2017 at 5:20 AM, Milburn Stone said:

As for why Saul met with Mira at all, when he could have just left: I may be alone in this, but I felt the reason was that old thing called love. As much as Saul knows that the smart thing is not to meet her at all and just disappear forever, he can't. He can't do that to her, or himself. When he's in lifelong exile, he needs to know that she knows he's safe. Love's a funny thing.

As for why Saul told Mira his exact destination: I don't think he was lying, because there wouldn't be much to gain by lying. If he gave her a false destination, and the agency got Mira to tell them that false destination, and they raided it and found no Saul, the most it would set the agency back is a couple of days. After which their investigation be no more set back than before they talked to Mira. Costing the agency two days wouldn't be worth the trouble of lying to her.

I 100% agree with this. I also think that Saul was trying to keep things balanced there, and that love has -- as you say -- other obligations (and I do think they still care about each other). Saul wanted to do right by Mira, and tell her the truth (and say a final goodbye), while also perhaps hoping she'd talk him out of it. And telling her was, for me, a risk that made sense because it was otherwise something she might have blurted out without knowing what was at stake (or even realized that she'd divulged). This way, she was given the knowledge she needed to make that choice herself.

FMurray_Dar_Homeland.PNG

• Love 2