Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Hair of the Dog

In case anyone was wondering, that song?  It's the theme from Silver Spoons.  I couldn't figure it out until they stopped it (and the next line would have been, "Two silver spoons together, you and I...."

Glad Gail's OK (it was only 10 days?  Damn, time is weird on this show) and I wonder if Melissa had been on on some sort of meds she's been missing for years.

• Love 3

Silver Spoons! Thanks, I could not think of what show that was from. Gail is alive, I am so glad. I enjoyed how she tried to say water, but they all thought she was saying wine.

I am sure when the guys get back with Melissa and that one white pill, someone will know what it is and get her back to normal. While I have enjoyed nutso Melissa, a break would be nice. I will hand wave the issue of her being without the pills for years and only now an issue popping up.

• Love 4

Gail lives! :)

Hopefully, if she'll be sticking around for a while, this experience will have given her a bit of a new lease on life and a newfound appreciation for the rest of the group...

Funny that Carol is never more try-too-hard than when she's acting like she doesn't care. :D

13 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Glad Gail's OK (it was only 10 days?  Damn, time is weird on this show)

The previous episode ("The Spirit of St. Lewis") alone covered about three days; I suspect the other episodes in which she was trapped ("If You're Happy and You Know It," "Whitney Houston, We Have a Problem," and part of "Mama's Hideaway") also only covered maybe 2-3 days each in the timeline of the show. 

• Love 1

So happy that Gail lives.

Also, glad that there may be something to help Melissa through her current episode of mental illness. If they can get her levelled out again, I'm sure she'll know the name of the drug. I've taken loads for various things over my life and I know the name of each and every one.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Did Gail have food in that mini fridge for any of those 10 days? I know she had plenty of alcohol. I feel like she recovered very quickly.

I thought she also picked up some chips (and possibly other junk food) during her booze run; I seem to recall she was partial to tortilla chips and Fritos Scoops. :\ I can't believe she made it 10 days without water, though! 

1 hour ago, Gulftastic said:

Can anyone tell me what Carol spotted in the background for the photo? Reasons mean I had to watch on my 7" tablet and I couldn't make it out.

According to a post-mortem on TVLine.com, the figure had something to do with Yoda from Star Wars. (Hence the odd syntax of next week's title: "Find This Thing We Need To.") :)

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, GRChereck said:

According to a post-mortem on TVLine.com, the figure had something to do with Yoda from Star Wars. (Hence the odd syntax of next week's title: "Find This Thing We Need To.") :)

This also makes clear that Gail is here to stay, despite rumors to the contrary.

• Love 2

After last week's dark episode, and the whole darkness of trapped Gail, it was emotionally enjoyable to have an episode with more levity. "Picked up the spare!" was a spectacular sight gag. I was wondering if he was going to get that last pin he'd missed on the left side of the formation once he started on the right side, but boy did he ever.

I thought the Akron stuff was really well done too. The fake apartment, the billboard, Melissa's morning routine, "Whites, makes sense". I also loved the seen of them driving back. Melissa asleep around familiar and comfortable items, Tandy driving silently, and Todd staring at the pill.

Getting Gail Wine, and liquor. Haha, way to stay on brand!

• Love 3

So wait, does Gail still have a bullet in her leg?  Is it going to stay there?  No doctor, I know, but that can't be good

Yeah, all could think about was how Melissa went without her pills for, what, 3 years? And she just got symptoms recently?   Not buying that.

Also, they acted like a road trip from CA to Akron was done in a day.  No overnight stopovers, no bathroom breaks, no gasoline refills, no Melissa escaping along the way? Hah.

• Love 3

When Melissa was hugging the teddy bear in her bed, I thought perhaps she had lost a child she had never spoken of, thus explaining her desire to get pregnant.

1 minute ago, Suzysite said:

So wait, does Gail still have a bullet in her leg?  Is it going to stay there?  No doctor, I know, but that can't be good

She said it was a ricochet injury, so perhaps the bullet grazed her leg?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/20/2017 at 11:26 AM, Traveller519 said:

After last week's dark episode, and the whole darkness of trapped Gail, it was emotionally enjoyable to have an episode with more levity. "Picked up the spare!" was a spectacular sight gag. I was wondering if he was going to get that last pin he'd missed on the left side of the formation once he started on the right side, but boy did he ever.

Agreed! :) I don't think I've ever been more glad to be wrong; my heart probably couldn't have taken another death so soon after last week's episode.

The bowling-pin business reminded me quite a bit of the kinds of repetitive / overly-long gags Will tends to go for -- like the banner-message scene in The Brothers Solomon, and the spelling-bee sketch from his Groundlings days that ended up on SNL ("...q, q, q, q, q, q, q, q, q, q, q, q...").

On 3/20/2017 at 11:26 AM, Traveller519 said:

I thought the Akron stuff was really well done too. The fake apartment, the billboard, Melissa's morning routine, "Whites, makes sense". I also loved the seen of them driving back. Melissa asleep around familiar and comfortable items, Tandy driving silently, and Todd staring at the pill.

Yeah, I like how they did that. It was interesting to get a glimpse of her old life beyond what she had told Phil 1 and Carol about herself back in 1x4 ("Sweet Melissa"). It looks like the place she was living around the time of The Virus was also her childhood home, in which case I'm assuming she might have first suffered a mental break after the breakup of her marriage and moved back in with her parents.

Edited by GRChereck
typo
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GRChereck said:

Hmm. To me it looked like someone wearing a Napoleon-type hat.

1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

When he started to knock all the pins down after Todd left, I thought we'd just cut away to later, but I shouldn't have been surprised when the scene went on and on. Tandy throwing the pin and knocking down the final one was a great punchline.

I thought the Akron stuff was really well done too. The fake apartment, the billboard, Melissa's morning routine, "Whites, makes sense".

What was "Whites, makes sense." ? I don't remember hearing that. But I was expecting Melissa to open the refrigerator and pour lumpy, disgusting milk onto her cereal.

In Melissa's cubicle was a photo of a man with a child. I wonder if that was her husband and child.

1 hour ago, Suzysite said:

I was thinking that too, but as it happens, I just heard a story on the radio about a family that came to the US after being extorted and attacked in Honduras. The father still has a bullet in his knee.

What was it that Carol said to Gail? -- "I scared you away with my extreme [something]."

3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

What was it that Carol said to Gail? -- "I scared you away with my extreme [something]."

Extreme Pilbasianism, or something like that. Carol Pilbasian X10.

Maybe Melissa had been taking pills all those years without the others knowing, until she ran out and went off the deep end. Hopefully Todd will figure it out at one of the local pharmacies and restock.

I have a little chunk of bullet in my leg. After 27 years, still not a problem.

• Love 3
(edited)
26 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

What was "Whites, makes sense." ? I don't remember hearing that.

It was a reference to when Melissa first took him and Todd to house of a black family -- Tandy had jumped to the conclusion that she'd been adopted and then left out of the family photos, but Todd knew she had just jerked them around. When they got to her actual house, Tandy saw pictures of her real family and said, "Whites. Makes sense." :)

26 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

In Melissa's cubicle was a photo of a man with a child. I wonder if that was her husband and child.

It could've been an old picture of her and her dad; or possibly a pic of a brother and a niece or nephew. (When she referred to her divorce in "Sweet Melissa," I don't recall her mentioning she and her husband had had any kids...)

Edited by GRChereck

Ok, the 12 year-old in me had to laugh at Melissa's last name.  It was Chartres. Perfectly fine, except that it's pronounced Shart.  Ha.

Edited by Suzysite
  • Love 5

The person they saw in the photos was me!  I might be a little partial to Yoda but I picked the ears out right away.  I wonder if that is Wiigy.

Also Gail said "I still have a bullet HOLE in my leg" if I remember correctly.  So no bullet to remove otherwise she probably would have died. 

And I can't believe how much I have grown to love Melissa.  When she got up and had the red blazer on, fed the cat, took her pill I assume that was just muscle memory.  Here is my question for you all: Was Melissa taking the pills and ran out?  She had a daily pill case so I'm thinking she had to take something daily.  But if that's the case why did it take her 3ish years to go off the deep end? 

So what was Melissa taking? And why did it take her so long to snap?  I wonder if they'll go into when she stopped taking them.  Or if I should let that go.  

I'm willing to bet Erica knows what it is.  She's "dabbled".  

Edited by HotRats2112
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, GRChereck said:

It was a reference to when Melissa first took him and Todd to house of a black family -- Tandy had jumped to the conclusion that she'd been adopted and then left out of the family photos, but Todd knew she had just jerked them around. When they got to her actual house, Tandy saw pictures of her real family and said, "Whites. Makes sense." :)

It could've been an old picture of her and her dad; or possibly a pic of a brother and a niece or nephew. (When she referred to her divorce in "Sweet Melissa," I don't recall her mentioning she and her husband had had any kids...)

That photo was the first thing I noticed and I was sure they were gonna drop another kid-reveal, like they did with Gail. But no! I guess it was a brother/nephew most likely.

Melissa's first husband, whoever he was, seems to have been forgotten! I know she probably wouldn't have had pictures of him in her house but I'm surprised it's not an avenue Todd and Tandy tried to go down, unless they too just forgot it...

Good to see Gail alive, but not so much on Tandy still being an idiot.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

When he started to knock all the pins down after Todd left, I thought we'd just cut away to later, but I shouldn't have been surprised when the scene went on and on. Tandy throwing the pin and knocking down the final one was a great punchline.

Except for this. This was great.

And I'm calling it that our "Yoda" is really Kristen Wiig.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, HotRats2112 said:

Here is my question for you all: Was Melissa taking the pills and ran out?  She had a daily pill case so I'm thinking she had to take something daily.  But if that's the case why did it take her 3ish years to go off the deep end? 

...So what was Melissa taking? And why did it take her so long to snap?  I wonder if they'll go into when she stopped taking them.  Or if I should let that go.

In the next episode, Todd is supposed to reach a "breakthrough" with her (while the rest of the characters will be busy investigating what Carol saw in her photos with Gail), so they might get into some of that stuff. We shall see... :\

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Suzysite said:

Ok, the 12 year-old in me had to laugh at Melissa's last name.  It was Chartres. Perfectly fine, except that it's pronounced Shart.  Ha.

Only if you speak French.*  Chartres Street in New Orleans is pronounced "Charters."

*And even if you DO speak French (as I do), the second "r" is not silent.  The word would be pronounced "SHAR-tre" (two syllables, with the "e" at the end being barely pronounced as a schwa sound).

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

Also, they acted like a road trip from CA to Akron was done in a day.

Yeah, that kind of bugged me. It would take approximately 45 hours to drive from California to Akron, Ohio. How did they manage to keep Melissa from running off and where in the hell are they getting all this still-usable gasoline? 

• Love 1
On 3/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, GRChereck said:

I thought she also picked up some chips (and possibly other junk food) during her booze run; I seem to recall she was partial to tortilla chips and Fritos Scoops. :\

Oh, that must be why when the lead female (sorry, mind blanked out) offered Gail food she said "sorry, scoops."  

• Love 1

I kind of wish this was set far enough in the future that they could say all their cars run on water.  Fine. I'd buy it.  I don't buy still-good gas that is pumpable from...where?   Gas stations with electric pumps?   Siphoned from random cars?   Nope

• Love 1
23 hours ago, MarkHB said:

One thing I thought of last night: wasn't that pond originally around SoCal?  I thought we saw that long before they moved out of Malibu.

I'm pretty sure that's the pond where Tandy took Carol fishing. That was after Gail "left" which was in the new home.

14 hours ago, Big Mother said:

How on earth do they have keys to every house , shop, and office building on the planet? Or are they breaking into eveyrthing?

They've been using handguns since season one to just break the glass in the front of shops, probably use a similar tactic for houses.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, that kind of bugged me. It would take approximately 45 hours to drive from California to Akron, Ohio. How did they manage to keep Melissa from running off and where in the hell are they getting all this still-usable gasoline? 

37 hours based on google

could be less because they were alone.

Edited by piequinn35
fixed the link
  • Love 2

I've always thought that losing your life like they all did has to be so hard... Context is part of what we are: our job, our house, our friends, our families, our daily routines. 

My guess is that Melissa was raiding the pharmacies and taking her pills until they arrived to the beach house. I mean, the fact that we didn't see her doing it doesn't mean she wasn't doing it off-camera. But the medicines have an expiration date so maybe they weren't working anymore. Or she thought she didn't need them anymore. 

I'm glad Gail's alive. Loved how fast she knew that Tandy was lying about Lewis, lol.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

37 hours based on google

could be less because they were alone.

They could easily go 120 mph or even faster and be there in less than 24 hours.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, piequinn35 said:
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

37 hours based on google

could be less because they were alo

I just love you and those like you who do the work for us and get the Google maps and directions etc.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

They could easily go 120 mph or even faster and be there in less than 24 hours.

No traffic lights, no others on the road...........................

I agree that the bowling pin bit was classic comedy and I enjoyed it.

Put me down for a vote for Wiig in the photo.  Let's hope it's not any bad men.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Did they leave the calf in Malibu? I just wondered about that.

Last I saw him (in 3x4, "Five Hoda Kotbs"), I could've sworn they left him at that last place they stopped ("a patio furniture store in the middle of nowhere?") before Melissa spotted the office building -- when they moved into the office building in the next ep, I don't remember them taking the calf with them. (Though in their defense, at least the furniture store had lots of grass around where he could graze...)

• Love 2

Just found this.  The calf was with them when they got to the office building.  Maybe the calf actor is off making a movie or something and is unavailable.  I also noticed the calf painting in Carol and Tandy's house. 

cow.jpg

Edited by HotRats2112
  • Love 5

About the pill, all they have to do is go to a library or book store and find a PDR Physician's Desk Reference it has every pill available, a picture of it, and what it is used for. Easy Peasy!!

• Love 6

I, too, am wondering about the significance of those pills that Melissa was taking. I mean, when Tandy and Carol first met her, was she taking pills that prevented her from falling into a mental downspiral? And were they still functional and hadn't hit their expiration date? If she stopped taking them altogether after the virus hit, it wouldn't have taken her 3 years to mentally slide downwards; it would have happened fast. And... if it is true that the pills we saw her taking WERE for a mental illness, I'm sure the ones we saw her take were expired. I also don't see any way that she can get newer functional pills for her illness if that is the case. Since there are so few people left on Earth, I think it's a safe bet that there are no pharmacies or doctors.

Count me in as predicting that the Yoda figure will turn out to be the woman Pamela from the bunker.

On 3/22/2017 at 10:00 PM, MarkHB said:

Tandy, is that you?

I believe it is Tandy. He put a female's name in his username to throw us all off, but we caught on to him! :P xD

• Love 1

Sadly, I do not have the eyebrows for Tandy. Just a love of puns.... :)

As much as I expect the Yoda in the forest to be Pamela, I'd actually rather like it if it turned out to be a completely random person who we'd never see before. It's exactly the sort of trick this show would pull....

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, sarahthenerd said:

Sadly, I do not have the eyebrows for Tandy. Just a love of puns.... :)

As much as I expect the Yoda in the forest to be Pamela, I'd actually rather like it if it turned out to be a completely random person who we'd never see before. It's exactly the sort of trick this show would pull....

Speaking of eyebrows, I'm not really even noticing the fakes anymore now that Will's hair and beard have grown in enough. :D 

And yeah, I don't imagine they're ready to bring Pamela in quite yet... I have a theory that she's the one who must have gotten to Malibu while the gang was staying at Cher's mansion, moved Pat's body and taken his boat in 3x2 ("The Wild Guess Express"). (Her leaving the bunker happened shortly after Melissa shot the drone in 2x18, and I figure it must not have been that far from Malibu to begin with if her drone could've made it all the way there -- that first time when only Gail saw it -- before it had to return to have its battery recharged...)

1 hour ago, GRChereck said:

I have a theory that she's the one who must have gotten to Malibu while the gang was staying at Cher's mansion, moved Pat's body and taken his boat in 3x2 ("The Wild Guess Express").

Huh. I hadn't thought about that connection between her and Pat's body and boat.  Being a bit upper class there's a chance she would know how to sail.  But why would she bother moving Pat's body? 

• Love 1