Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Tracey's Story

• Start Topic

She definitely should have been in the hospital with IV antibiotics.  I had two dime sized areas of cellulitis on my leg years ago & was hospitalized for strong antibiotics.  Who prescribed her antibiotics?  I don't think Dr Now.  I'm sure the antibiotics attributed to her feeling  nauseous & sick.  They can do a number on your GI system.

• Love 6

There is a rice that is supposed to be much lower in carbohydrates and have extra vitamins in it. I don't remember what it is, because I dislike rice of any kind, but remember thinking it was going to be some new food fad that would be proven untrue, like the superfoods, only to find an article from a legitimate source about it. 

Of course, she probably fried it to make it even healthier. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, 55Unicorns said:

She said they found an "extended stay hotel".  Whatever that is.

It's a hotel/motel that allows long-term (either weekly or month-to-month) rentals. Since it sounds like she owns her home in Ohio, it makes sense for them.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Plus sometimes they would pull out a shotgun. Somehow I've made it through. 62 years with no one ever having pulled a shotgun in my home. Anyone else?  

Actually, when I was pregnant, a crazy neighbor pulled a shotgun on my equally crazy husband in our apartment. Crazy husband had only been back from his combat tour in VietNam a few years and was not about to get shot in Portland. 'Nuff said.

• Love 3

This episode is so unlike most of the others, at least for me.  Tracy's situation is so sad, and possibly not all of her own doing, which makes me even sadder for her.  And she's worried about dying without her family around her.  Oh, God, is that sad or what?

This is not my regular Wednesday-night snark-fest, damnit!

• Love 13

You would think she would get painkillers and sleeping pills for that trip- something that would put her to sleep for ten hours, Yikes!

I feel really sorry for her, it seems terribly sad. Many people eat just as much as she does and don't end up like this.

• Love 7

They usually have the 600lb patients touch on why they are the way they are. Almost always sexual/physical abuse of some kind. But I'd love to see the enablers see a therapist and talk about what made them the way they are. Caring for an abnormally obese partner who can't put out and is normally demanding/jerkish has got to be a terrible job! What has happened in one's life that they need to be an enabler. It can't be the pay they may receive for being a caretaker because they could make more working less hours at most jobs. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, baileylucas1216 said:

Anyone know how many episodes are in this season?

Only seeing 4 after her 2pt ep so far. This is still season 5, the one that started w/ twins Kandi and Brandi.

Edited by Yolo
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Azubah said:

Yeah, and I'm not sure how low-carb is supposed to help her cellulitis...

Assuming her body is not dealing with with elevated blood sugar well, high carb diet will result in high blood sugar, which can impair her body's ability to fight infection.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Azubah said:

Yeah, and I'm not sure how low-carb is supposed to help her cellulitis...

The short version: Protein provides the building blocks for growing new healthy tissue. Protein also helps increase the metabolism by growing and repairing tissue throughout the individual's lifetime (we all need that.) Raising the metabolism helps to burn fat, and if you burn the fat you can lose (at least some) excess fluid. That's why Dr. Now always pushes protein, protein, protein.

Simple carbs, on the other hand - like sugar, white flour, potatoes - provide nothing but massive amounts of calories with virtually no nutrients to help digest them, much less with anything that would help to heal or repair the body. That's why those carbs are so hugely damaging to all of us but even more so to somebody who's already morbidly obese with severe health problems. 

There's nothing in those carbs to help with healing, metabolism, or fluid loss. All the carbs do is slow everything down to a standstill while the body struggles to process the overwhelming load, with absolutely nothing positive provided from that swamp of empty calories.

When you do this to your body virtually every hour of every day, that's how you get a real monstrosity like James. And legs like this poor woman's.

• Love 10

Oh. So Anthony is the asshole this episode.  Now he's unavailable to take her to appointments? She's supposed to put all of those legs in an uber?

I haven't heard anything about him working so my guess is he's also getting a caregiver check from the county. So Yeah guy, getting her to these appointments is your job.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Awfarmington said:

They usually have the 600lb patients touch on why they are the way they are. Almost always sexual/physical abuse of some kind. But I'd love to see the enablers see a therapist and talk about what made them the way they are. Caring for an abnormally obese partner who can't put out and is normally demanding/jerkish has got to be a terrible job! What has happened in one's life that they need to be an enabler. It can't be the pay they may receive for being a caretaker because they could make more working less hours at most jobs. 

I'd watch the heck outta that show!!!

• Love 5