Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

• Start Topic

I enjoyed this episode. It was not great drama or anything, but liked it. My hometown is in Michigan so I grew up skiing and snowboarding. I thought they all embraced it pretty well. It is not like skiing or snowboarding is a big deal, but generally the Bates family approaches these sort of things better than the Duggars, in my opinion. Kelly may have been freaked out for some of it, but she seemed like she enjoyed it. 

I liked that Kelly said that Nathan's personality would be to head to the black diamond slopes right away. I do not agree with their beliefs, but they do know their kids well. Maybe because they actually raise them instead of the sister moms. They do not seem to use the standard Duggar descriptives to describe their kids. I am always so glad that Kelly does not speak in the Michelle Duggar baby voice.

Oh I also liked Kelly giving Gil grief over the many layers of clothing she wanted on the younger kids. I did agree with Gil though, because I get hot most of the time while snowboarding if I wear too many layers.

• Love 3

Massanutten is local to me so I was interested in this one. There are few things cuter than little kids learning to ski. They always are so good! Kelly being afraid of the chairlift is typical but she pushed through it. Loved seeing all the new couples too. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Massanutten is local to me so I was interested in this one. There are few things cuter than little kids learning to ski. They always are so good! Kelly being afraid of the chairlift is typical but she pushed through it. Loved seeing all the new couples too. 

I wish I had learned to ski as a child, they pick it up so naturally.  Learning as an adult involves a lot more pain when you fall. Kelly was a good sport though, and Erin was surprisingly good.

I'm sure Tori will get married before Carlin, but can you imagine if those two had a double wedding? It would be so crazy.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, cereality said:

Watched 15 minutes of tonight's ski episode. It was boring. But man the Bates are killing the Duggars in their courtship competition. Carlin had a friend on her trip - Evan - and she said they are getting to know each other and aren't in an official courtship; they were acting very couplish with Tori and Bobby and I bet it materializes into a courtship. And then Trace had a friend there too - Campbell Roberts (I think) - he didn't say how he knew her, but in fundie fashion she was very complimentary to him and told him how great he was at snowboarding

The Bates kid-adults are more likeable, friendly, outgoing, more outside-worldly and decent looking than the 5-6 run of J-boy Duggars. John David has a good husband quality in that he will work construction and bring a check home every week, but the dear is boring as hell.

And don't me get started on the Duggar-son-in-laws lack of steady job - hopefully Jermey-Baabbe will keep his pastorship. At least Chad, John and Brandon are working to provide for their family. And I'm sure Bobby will do the same upon graduation - probably that's a big reason they are holding off on engagement. Josh vs. Zach - no comparison.

I think Lawson would be quick to court, if he wasn't trying to be "Nashville's next big star". A struggling musician (traveling, late nights, groupies) can make the fundie-father nervous to turn over his daughter.                                                                                                                                                                      I'm sure Nathan will find someone again, after his heart heals. I liked the NYC girl.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4

I agree ALL the Bates kids are a lot more marriable -- thus they are marrying rapidly. They all have their own personalities -- some are girly girls, some aren't; some like traditional things like sewing and cooking, others have to be gifted cookbooks pre marriage; some are loud and dramatic, others are reserved and would rather not be the center of attention. They all go to college for at least 1-2 semesters so it seems like they develop their own friendships - and thus know HOW to make friends and talk to peers beyond just the "our friends with 20 kids that we met once at a homeschool conference just dropped by." It helps in finding a mate if you have some personality and something to say about yourself besides that you have a servant's heart and love the Lord.

I also think Gil and Kelly have pounded into their kids' heads that before they marry -- the husband (son or son in law) MUST be able to provide. They don't yet have 1 married son or son in law who is loafing around with a "ministry." All have full time jobs. It's also why the courtships with Bobby and Brandon were longer - by fundie standards - bc both were in school, and I suspect the Bates wanted to hold off on marriage until the husband to be graduated and got a job. Evan looked fairly young to me as well, so I wouldn't be surprised that Carlin has a long-ish get to know you/courtship if Evan is in school too. I tend to think this is why Lawson hasn't married/courted yet. I think he -- and his parents -- realize in their heart of hearts that supporting a wife and family as a "musician" who gets called to do shows here and there or makes a few hundred playing at amusement parks will be rough. I think if/when he finds a girl he likes or decides he wants to find a girl -- he will either go back to tree work or transition himself into a behind the scenes job or an office job in Nashville. As for Nathan -- I think he fell HARD for Ashley and really did love her. I thought he'd either start courting 2 min after it ended (so he didn't have to feel the loss of that relationship) or he'd wait a long while until he was ready to put himself out there again -- I think it may be latter since there doesn't seem to be a girl on the scene for him.

• Love 4

I think Trace took over the lawncare for a while, but that was a couple of years ago. Lately, it appears that he's working the tree business. Maybe the lawn care business has gone down to one of the middle three boys (not sure which one is the oldest, but he must be about 15 now). Or maybe it doesn't exist at all any longer. 

Am I crazy or were most of the women skiing in snow pants with some kind of short skirt type of thing over top of the pants?? I swear I saw something on Kelly, Erin etc. - and it didn't just look like the bottom of the coat hanging down.

Yes the show is boring -- probably ok for UP, but I don't imagine they would've lasted long on TLC or they would have had a LOT more of these planned outings like skiing. Obviously UP is providing these activities to have something to shoot - but they are so "normal" during the activities that it gets boring; I almost like the shows surrounding their daily lives better.

• Love 1

So it looks like Carlin's boyfriend's a fundie. From Nashville though "only" a family of 6 kids. He's a few years older (they didn't specify) and sings in some family gospel band which functions as a ministry. I sincerely hope that is a hobby or weekend activity, and he like the other sons in law is in college or has a trade. I have to say, I kind of like that thus far the Bates have not married any uneducated losers loafing around and preaching on youtube calling it a "ministry." I like that they all work and consequently they all interact with the secular, non-fundie world -- bc I think that's what causes these couples to be a little more "open minded" and a little less like -- oohh he's the headship, whatever he wants is what the wife MUST do.

• Love 1

I looked at their website (linked on Lily and Ellie's Bates Fan Blog). Not impressed. It also gives no indication about what Evan may or may not do as far as school or a job. I won't make any inferences or suppositions at this point. We can't even tell if this band is a full-time gig or something they do locally at local churches on Sundays. 

I tried to look him up on IG, but there are a shit ton of guys named Evan Stewart, and almost every account I tried is private anyway. However, as recently as last Friday, he was publicly posting about his "girlfriend" Carlin. I suppose comments on his post led to him locking down. Too bad; we could have found out if this is a decent, stand-up guy, or a guy with a "ministry mindset" better suited to pass JB's 50 page survey and marry a Duggar girl. 

• Love 2
On 3/24/2017 at 11:37 AM, SongbirdHollow said:

Massanutten is local to me too! Howdy neighbor!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clemgo3165 said:

Massanutten is local to me too! Howdy neighbor!

I have a ski 101 question. Can you ride a chair lift to the top to visit the lodge for food/drinks, and just ride back down ? Or do you always have to ski back down?

I am impressed that any beginner who just learned that morning would ride to the top of a mountain (that's high enough for a chair lift) and ski back down. I guess I thought , before the scene aired, Gill/Kelly would just go to the top and romance, looking and the snow mountains - kinda like they did in the mountains on Kelly's birthday.

I would have been one big snowball, if I had to ski down a mountain hours after I just learned.

• Love 2

I think the lodge and non-ski activities are at the bottom usually. If you take a lift up you need to ski down. But I haven't skied in millions of years. I did take the lift up to the top of the mountain at Disney's Blizzard Beach for the view and walked down instead of taking the slide. Ha!

• Love 1

I had sympathy for Kelly until she and Gil had the audacity to have the lift stopped. I am terrified of those things as well, but understand that it is a necessary evil if I'm to do fun things at the tops of mountains, like ski and ride Alpine slides. Maybe have some empathy and realize that people who don't know why the damn thing is stopped while they're positioned high in the air is even more terrifying, you self-centered assholes! Move quickly or stay at the bottom. 

And of course, in true fundie fashion, Gil and Kelly took a page out of Boob and Michelle's book and rode alone, leaving the care of their young children to others. You can't tell me that at least one or two littles weren't nervous, especially after the shrieking death talk, and wouldn't have wanted to ride with a parent. We've not been on any that hold more than 2 people, and my husband and I have always switched off riding with our 1 child. 1 child, and I either go it alone or put on a super brave face for her. 

Lawson, I will always have respect for you buying your family's groceries and being a great earner, but you cannot carry a tune in a bucket. There are other ways to be part of the industry. 

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, sATL said:

I have a ski 101 question. Can you ride a chair lift to the top to visit the lodge for food/drinks, and just ride back down ? Or do you always have to ski back down?

I am impressed that any beginner who just learned that morning would ride to the top of a mountain (that's high enough for a chair lift) and ski back down. I guess I thought , before the scene aired, Gill/Kelly would just go to the top and romance, looking and the snow mountains - kinda like they did in the mountains on Kelly's birthday.

I would have been one big snowball, if I had to ski down a mountain hours after I just learned.

Most lodges, etc. are at the bottom. The lodge at Canaan in West Virginia is on the top of the mountain but so is parking. You drive to the top and ski down.

My first ski trip was the most beautiful sunny day it could be. I took a lesson and did the bunny slope all morning but I was ready for beginner slopes by afternoon. I'm usually a clutz but a good lesson works wonders. Besides, as long as you are going slowly, just fall down if you see things getting away from you. The Bates kids looked like they had a natural athleticism, tho.

15 hours ago, Squirrely said:

I had sympathy for Kelly until she and Gil had the audacity to have the lift stopped. I am terrified of those things as well, but understand that it is a necessary evil if I'm to do fun things at the tops of mountains, like ski and ride Alpine slides. Maybe have some empathy and realize that people who don't know why the damn thing is stopped while they're positioned high in the air is even more terrifying, you self-centered assholes! Move quickly or stay at the bottom. 

And of course, in true fundie fashion, Gil and Kelly took a page out of Boob and Michelle's book and rode alone, leaving the care of their young children to others. You can't tell me that at least one or two littles weren't nervous, especially after the shrieking death talk, and wouldn't have wanted to ride with a parent. We've not been on any that hold more than 2 people, and my husband and I have always switched off riding with our 1 child. 1 child, and I either go it alone or put on a super brave face for her. 

The little ones originally went up with an instructor, didn't they? I know part of my lesson was the trip on the chairlift and the instructor was with me. She had a lot of helpers, too.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

Well, that was . . . boring.  Oh, and basically a half-hour commercial for Cracker Barrel.  I've been known to enjoy their food, but come on, UP.  At least attempt to make it less obvious.

Overall, it was boring, but I LMAO at the girl (Carlie?) who had her wisdom teeth extracted first; however, I felt badly for the other girl (Josie?).  Her face was already starting to look like she'd been the loser in a boxing match as soon as she got home.  I can't imagine what it must have looked like the second and third day.  Did anyone notice Carson's poor little face?  He had obviously fallen into something HARD, because the left side of his face had several bruises.  It never fails to amaze me at how young kids can sleep through anything > the boy snoozing in Gil's lap during the dinner.  I don't always watch this show, but when I do, I'm always amazed at the differences between this family and the other one, whose name I won't mention, but it starts with a D. ;-)

• Love 3

I remember when my daughter had her wisdom teeth removed.  She swelled up and was so uncomfortable.  She was pretty much out of it for a couple of days.  As for Cracker Barrel, they are the modern day Howard Johnson's (older posters will know what I mean).  We like their food and look for them when we travel.  It did seem like their name was mentioned a little too often...a commercial for sure.  But I empathize with Kelly's relief with not having to cook for that crowd, although she is surely used to it.  Looks like they had some healthy items, unlike the D family.  I agree that, no matter what the size, it's nice to have a family meal.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Well, that was . . . boring.  Oh, and basically a half-hour commercial for Cracker Barrel.  I've been known to enjoy their food, but come on, UP.  At least attempt to make it less obvious.

I was bored too and fast-forwarded (I love my DVR!) through the basketball stuff.  I don't know, it seems I only get interested when their showing girlfriend/boyfriend stuff.  The girls are so pretty and the boys are handsome too.   I used to think Trace was the least attractive boy, but he's turning out to be a pretty good-looking young man, especially when he's dressed up.

I love the little ones (Jeb and Judson).  I could watch a show with just them.  I love the 3 little girls too (Callie, Ellie, Addallee).  It's amazing how little kids learn to talk so grown up when they have older sibs.   I can understand everything Jeb and Judson say.

I can understand the couples not wanting to put their dating on TV for a while.  If it doesn't work out, like it did with Nathan, it can really hurt.

One more thing, Whitney looked great!  It looks like she's lost all of the baby weight.  Go girl!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Evagirl said:

One more thing, Whitney looked great!  It looks like she's lost all of the baby weight.  Go girl!

Hmmm ...looking good and more attractive for hubby....Shall we all start a pool on the announcement of Baby #3?  

4 hours ago, Evagirl said:

I was bored too and fast-forwarded (I love my DVR!) through the basketball stuff.  I don't know, it seems I only get interested when their showing girlfriend/boyfriend stuff.  The girls are so pretty and the boys are handsome too.   I used to think Trace was the least attractive boy, but he's turning out to be a pretty good-looking young man, especially when he's dressed up.

I love the little ones (Jeb and Judson).  I could watch a show with just them.  I love the 3 little girls too (Callie, Ellie, Addallee).  It's amazing how little kids learn to talk so grown up when they have older sibs.   I can understand everything Jeb and Judson say.

I can understand the couples not wanting to put their dating on TV for a while.  If it doesn't work out, like it did with Nathan, it can really hurt.

This was early January, based on the talk about going to Florida. Kaci was born June 20 (I only know that since she missed my birthday by a day), so she'd had plenty of time to slim down. And she's what, 22?

I wondered where Erin and Chad had come from. She and Carson (didn't get a good look at The Chad or Brooklyn) were far more gussied up than the rest of the clan. I saw Erin first, so I thought church, but everyone else was so informally dressed. For instance, I recall Zach in flannel. The only thought I could come up with is that Chad and Erin's church (they have never been members of Gil's church...she stuck with the church that Crown students are required to attend) is far enough away from the Compound that they didn't have time to make a detour home to change. I don't recall Tori or Carlin, or even Josie who goes to the cosmetology school) dressed in chruch clothes. That's all I've got! LOL

I happened to catch an IG post from the show. They are "renewed" for another season in late June in which they promise a wedding. I think it's Tabby Paine's doomed nuptials that happen tomorrow, but they also promised other pairings that haven't been realized yet ON SCREEN.I think we can be pretty certain Tori got engaged on I Love You Day, given it's such a huge Bates tradition, and that Carlin is now courting. As for the promo, I must have seen it on FJ (or did UP show it???). I checked out the UP site, but am not seeing anything there (at least under tabs I checked. These avenues failed, I think UP must have shown it during a commercial break that I actually sort of paid attention to? (Godalmighty, don't make me watch this episode again)

Okay, FFwed through, (slowly through commercials, because they sneak next week's previews in during the show, not that the end). Nothing. I think this was the season finale? edited again since Thursday at 6 (UP doesn't do time zones) still has "something" scheduled to record. It's Friday, and Comcast is often very slow to give show info; it'll probably be up by Saturday.

Edited by Sew Sumi
(edited)
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

... promised other pairings that haven't been realized yet ON SCREEN.I think we can be pretty certain Tori got engaged on I Love You Day, given it's such a huge Bates tradition, and that Carlin is now courting....

I sometimes refer to their blog picture to make sure I remember who is who / birthorder... (link) . When Carlin courts, that doesn't leave many unmarried girls .  we are getting down to the little-little kids and on the bottom row of the family pix. Alyssa 2nd daughter is missing, though.

Edited by sATL

Is Nathan off doing something education or job-wise? I forgot why he was late to skiing in the last episode, but they did mention it. It also seemed like he was doing something else when the basketball hoop was installed because he asked Lawson and Trace in one the couch segments how long it took them to put it up.

On 4/1/2017 at 0:48 AM, Misslindsey said:

Is Nathan off doing something education or job-wise? I forgot why he was late to skiing in the last episode, but they did mention it. It also seemed like he was doing something else when the basketball hoop was installed because he asked Lawson and Trace in one the couch segments how long it took them to put it up.

He was down south (Mississippi? Alabama?) getting pilot training.

Hattiesburg, MS. Josiah also goes there (I've seen Duggar plane flight logs). I think it was Nathan who mentioned that their instructor is Christian. Like Jesus is literally their co-pilot? 

• Love 1
(edited)

doesn't it take forever and lots of $$/time if you become a pilot/astronaut/flight engineer/air traffic control outside of the military (4 yrs of college + 2-3 years of flight school) ?  John David been talking bout being a pilot since Jessa was early courting.

Wasn't Nathan the one who tried out for the Dixie stampede? If so, from horses (ie near the ground) to flying?... hmmm.. I guess Gil/Kelly aren't the type of parents to tell their kid-adults to pick a lane...

Edited by sATL

There are different levels of being a pilot.  The easiest is a non-instrument rated private pilot, I believe.  That doesn't take nearly the investment that becoming a commercial airline pilot does.   My father managed the lowest level of commercial pilot doing it more as a hobby. 

5 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I thought it was Trace with the Dixie Stampede?

ok. Trace was trying out.. who I thought was going to college... again pick a lane..

I thought Trace decided that college wasn't his thing and didn't even do a semester at Clown. Come to think of it, have any of the older boys attended college? Zach and Michael did EMT training, but I don't recall anything about academia. Same for Nathan. 

On 3/31/2017 at 1:36 PM, luvmylabs said:

As for Cracker Barrel, they are the modern day Howard Johnson's (older posters will know what I mean).  

HoJo's!! Damn, I guess that means I'm considered "older." Lol And at least they didn't fire Brad's wife on his birthday after a decade of devoted service. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Squirrely said:

As for Cracker Barrel, they are the modern day Howard Johnson's (older posters will know what I mean).  

I am a bit young to remember Howard Johnson's but I do remember the Mad Men episode where Megan did not want to eat the orange sherbet there.

Edited by Misslindsey
(edited)

I'm surprised there aren't more Duggar/Bates girls pursuing cosmetology. They're all so into hair and makeup. Then again I'm not sure the Duggars would even allow it. 

I've always wanted to go to a Medieval Times. I've heard the food is terrible.

Wow, Michaela doesn't mess around when it comes to the rules of her house. I wonder where the younger girls ended up staying. If I had a choice between Michaela's house and Erin's, I know which one I'd choose.  :)

Edited by IndianPaintbrush

I agree that Michael is gonna run a tight ship at her house, but I will say that she was dealing with all little boys. Give them an inch and they will steam roll you before you can blink.  I'm sure there was at least 1 or 2 pieces of candy eaten at some point on the downlow, but if she had said yes to even 1, the little boys would have just scarfed everything & had nothing for the house.   I get why she did it, even if it did seem like a bit too strict.   The older boys are, the more you can tease & joke about don't eat the candy.  Little boys not so much. 

• Love 3

In that tiny apartment plus camera people, she had to run a tight ship.  But she is a nanny too and probably does like some rules.  I thought Brandon looked much more at ease with it all.  But, really, "Me and MIchael"?  He is on TeeVee for goodness sake.  

• Love 2

I give Michaela props for taking on the 5 boys, especially in her small apartment.  She was strict but in a loving way...never raised her voice...just reminded them of the rules.  It looked to me like they were all having a good time.  And she got them out of the house and to a fun activity at Medieval Times.  Brandon looked as though he was enjoying the whole visit as well.  Anyone know why Kelly Jo and Gil had to go out of the country?

• Love 1
(edited)

They were keynote speakers at an IBLP/Gothard convention in Australia. 

eta: The show mentioned Australia but conveniently forgot to mention the cult. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5

I liked that Michael stuck to her guns especially about the boys trying new things and getting out the door in a timely fashion.  She's strict but she wasn't mean or arbitrary.  

• Love 3
On 4/7/2017 at 5:57 PM, luvbadtv said:

Michael sure can kill the fun.  She is definitely not the fun sister.

She doesn't know how to be the fun sister. "Sister" isn't the same to her as it is to most. She's the oldest daughter in a fundamentalist cult with almost 20 siblings, and she was raised before TV cameras were a regular thing in their home. She's probably pissed at how lax the rules are in comparison to her childhood. I found it really sad. Some of it was okay, like making them try new foods, but good god, let a kid eat a piece of fucking candy. 

On 4/8/2017 at 0:54 PM, Sew Sumi said:

They were keynote speakers at an IBLP/Gothard convention in Australia. 

eta: The show mentioned Australia but conveniently forgot to mention the cult. 

Right. We can't tarnish the image with mentions of the cult they're still extremely actively involved in. The one founded by the pervert is still most definitely running the show even though he "resigned."

• Love 5