Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

• Start Topic

We discussed this on the Sweet Fellowship thread. The rumor was fueled by a Jana Duggar roleplay Instagram account that said Jana was courting Lawson. This account has several thousand followers (don't people know what .rp after a name means?), and I think it was enough for the rumor to gain steam. What's ironic is that we snarkers had no clue this was going on! LOL

On 4/7/2017 at 4:57 PM, luvbadtv said:

Michael sure can kill the fun.  She is definitely not the fun sister.

I was just remembering Lawson, Carlin & one of the other girls at Alyssa's when they were decorating for AllieJane's birthday party, they kept eating the strawberries......maybe Michaela has seen them in action before ;) 

• Love 1

Michaela is one of those girls who acts one way but then completely flips the script when her headship is nearby.  She's definitely more rigid when Brandon is around.  I didn't think it was fair to make all of the kids eat crepes with all of the toppings. Maybe it's the picky eater in me but the combination of the crepe, fruit, and sugar would have been overstimulating for me and I probably would have puked all over her.  I'm on board with "You eat what we make" but it's not hard to modify a crepe by taking some of the toppings away for those who can't handle them. 

Brandon's story idea surprised me.  He seemed really into it so there's that. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I was just remembering Lawson, Carlin & one of the other girls at Alyssa's when they were decorating for AllieJane's birthday party, they kept eating the strawberries......maybe Michaela has seen them in action before ;) 

I felt so bad for Alyssa in that scene. She was trying to make a nice party for her daughter and her siblings were being rude and selfish. She asked them nicely not to eat the strawberries and they ignored her like it was some kind of joke. Did it not occur to them that they weren't going to be the only guests? I think that's what annoys me most about mega families like the Bateseses and Duggars. Whenever they go somewhere, they sort of just take over the space without any thought or consideration to anyone else. 

I didn't see this last episode, but I'm not a sugar person so crepes loaded with tons of toppings would've made me nauseous. Michael definitely could've toned them down for the boys. 

It sounds like she's still walking on eggshells around Brandon though, and I don't know what to make of that. I did check out her baby stuff on Instagram and it's really cute. If I had a need for it I'd consider buying something. I hope she does well with her business.

Edited by BitterApple

Welp, no courtship for Carlin or engagement for Tori as of I Love You Day. Carlin was wearing a ring on her wedding finger in the THs, so I think that's probably her purity ring that was noticed in the picture I posted a few days ago. I was going back and forth between the show and hockey, so I missed what Tori said about May. I assume she meant her wedding would be NEXT May? Certainly not next month! 

Good on Alyssa, insisting that only John be in the birthing room with her. I guess UP pays her less than Erin or Whitney, though. But for her, probably worth it; she really seems to value her privacy. 

Sweet tribute to Mamma Jane. And of course, Chad made the chair! Duh!

• Love 2

I totally get Alyssa. I'm insanely private and don't even want to see or talk to people when I have a bad cold. I convinced my OB to let me go home a full day earlier than what's normal for c-sections because I just needed to be left the fuck alone, with my husband and baby and no one else for a few days. It's so nice that she's not pressured to change that. Is a woman ever more vulnerable than when she's in labor? No one can ever convince me that Anna Duggar was 100% okay with millions of people seeing that toilet birth.

I'm ignoring the abhorrent beliefs of these people this week to say that the Bateses do seem to marry well. But was it just me or did Lurch get the short end of the stick? Hopefully it was edited and Kelly said more than "John Alyssa contentment" before heaping tons of praise on the next son-in-law. 

• Love 3
On 4/7/2017 at 5:57 PM, luvbadtv said:

Michael sure can kill the fun.  She is definitely not the fun sister.

I agree. Why couldn't Michael have bought a few extra bags of candy for them to eat while decorating? I think that's part of the fun. I realize she had to have some control but I'm not talking about them each eating a pound of candy. Eating some Smarties or Sour Patch Kids along the way wouldn't have hurt. I know she told them they would be eating the candy the next day.  Did she mean them eating their houses?  If so, that wasn't fair to the kid who had the burned pieces.  Who wants to eat a burned gingerbread house?  

I liked the girls talking like normal sisters at the nail place, unlike the zombie-like Duggar gals who can't have a decent conversation if their lives depended on it.

I can relate to Kelly in the Cracker Barrel gift shop, esp the sale section.  Gift shops seem to "call" to me & my mother,  no matter where we are including the hospital. Lol.  I liked Kelly & Gil waiting for the baby & choosing the birth times.  I actually laughed out loud when Kelly told Gil he lost his vote because he was taking  too long to decide.  I heard Kelly offering to hold one of the grandchildren when they were in the food line at the party.  A typical Grandma.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I liked the girls talking like normal sisters at the nail place, unlike the zombie-like Duggar gals who can't have a decent conversation if their lives depended on it.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing!  Even though we know the pedicure event had to be pre-planned because no way would there ever be a nail salon with that many empty chairs in a row, but still I felt the camaraderie the sisters shared was real as opposed to the Duggar sisters.

I used to compare the Duggar girls with the Bates girls in the looks department and always thought the Duggar girls were prettier.  Not so now.  I don't know what happened to Duggar girls.  I might even venture to say they are sort of homely.  They wear way too much eye makeup, to the point where it's distracting.  Those long jeans skirts and flip-flops look ridiculous.  

IMO all of the Bates girls are lovely.  I can tell that one of the little girls (can't remember her name), the one who always has her legs crossed when on the sofa and has front teeth missing - is already a little diva. 

I also like the fact that the Bates' sons-in-law all have real jobs.

One thing I find ironic in both families is that they don't show the young men in relationships.  I don't understand that.  They showed Zach's courtship with Whitney and Josh's with Anna - then nothing.

Edited by Evagirl
spelling error
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

IMO all of the Bates girls are lovely.  I can tell that one of the little girls (can't remember her name), the one who always has her legs crossed when on the sofa and has front teeth missing - is already a little diva. 

I was just thinking the same thing!  I watched a bit of the show last night and all of the Bates girls are just so pretty!  I think the little one on the couch is Addalee, she is adorable! 

And kind of random, but I love how all of their names are different, not the ridiculous  "J"  explosion they have over in Duggarland.....

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/14/2017 at 8:23 AM, Evagirl said:

One thing I find ironic in both families is that they don't show the young men in relationships.  I don't understand that.  They showed Zach's courtship with Whitney and Josh's with Anna - then nothing.

You may have missed the episodes featuring Ashley, Nathan's ex-girlfriend.  She lives in NYC.  They made it to courtship but broke up when they realized they probably weren't compatible in the long term.

ETA: When Alyssa was a brunette, she looked strikingly similar to Tori and Carlin. Her TN accent is also less pronounced than the rest of her family.

Alyssa seems like she's totally over pregnancy. I hope they wait a nice long time before the next one.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

You may have missed the episodes featuring Ashley, Nathan's ex-girlfriend.  She lives in NYC.  They made it to courtship but broke up when they realized they probably weren't compatible in the long term.

Yes I do remember Nathan and how broke up he was when they decided to split.  I was just thinking about the older Duggar boys, Lawson, and Trace - all fairly attractive young men, especially the Bates boys.  Lawson claims he's married right now to his career.  I think Nathan's very public courtship and breakup may have spooked them to not want their relationship televised.  I can sort of understand why ladies shy away from the Duggar men, but I have a feeling the Bates men are dating to some degree and want to keep it private.

The girls are different.  You can tell that Carlin is just over the moon over Evan.  She WANTS the whole world to know she has a boyfriend.  And Tori is just as crazy about Bobby.  They're already pre-engaged.  Josie won't be far behind.

5 hours ago, Summer said:

I was just thinking the same thing!  I watched a bit of the show last night and all of the Bates girls are just so pretty!  I think the little one on the couch is Addalee, she is adorable! 

And kind of random, but I love how all of their names are different, not the ridiculous  "J"  explosion they have over in Duggarland.....

I just looked it up - that's Callie.  She's the 3rd youngest.  A real cutie pie

• Love 1

In speaking of looks, my problem with the Duggars is they all kind of look alike.  The Bates children don't.  For instance last night I was thinking Alyssa doesn't really look like her sisters.  I wonder who in the family she resembles.  The boys don't all look like clones either.

I think the Duggar young women are very pretty, but the orange tanner and excessive eyeliner detracts from their beauty. Jana is gorgeous. Their poor brothers all seem to have inherited the receding hairline at an early age gene. That, with their rather large heads is an unfortunate combination. 

The Bates ladies become more attractive to me as we see each one shine. Some look very similar, IMO. Tori resembles Michael strongly and there's a younger one who does as well. Then you have Josie and Erin and Alyssa, who look like no one else, at least that I've noticed. Same with the boys. Several are pretty similar to me, but that may be because they kind of blur together in my mind!  lol

Has anyone seen if Trace made the Dixie Stampede? I get serious joy at the idea of a Gothardite kid dancing for a living!! Remember when Jana Duggar had to say one of the little spawn was "jumping for joy" to some music? God, that was so pathetic. I wanted to sit her down and make her watch Footloose with me.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, Evagirl said:

another theory could be until the courtship moves closer to engagement, the son's are probably sending a lot of time with the prospective girls family, who doesn't want to be part of the filming. Then when it looks likes the relationship is going somewhere, then all of the sudden it is take-over by the Bates/Duggar family for filming.

It's odd, but a nice gesture, that every time the prospective suitors (bobby and ???) show up they come gifts in hand.

I agree with the pollster who said that Erin, Alyssa, and Josie look a lot a like.  When the show first started (back when it was United Bates or something or other), I couldn't tell Erin and Alyssa apart.  It seems the girls who are blond (bottle or natural) look like each other and the brunettes look like each other.  I do think Carlin is the prettiest single girl in the bunch.

The boys are are good looking young men IMO.  To me, Nathan is more handsome than Lawson and Lawson more handsome than Trace.  However, Trace is beginning to blossom.  Jeb and Judson are heartbreakers in their own right!

• Love 1

Yeah, Gil and Kelly sure do make good looking kids. Trace has the look of a boy next door type you'd find in 1950s movie. It's funny, there are groups of them that have the same look. 

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, Evagirl said:

I used to compare the Duggar girls with the Bates girls in the looks department and always thought the Duggar girls were prettier.  Not so now.  I don't know what happened to Duggar girls.  I might even venture to say they are sort of homely.  They wear way too much eye makeup, to the point where it's distracting.  Those long jeans skirts and flip-flops look ridiculous.  

I was thinking the same thing. I think one reason is the Bates girls - if they buy used - are buying in better shops - like consignment stores. Being close to Knoxville, they probably have a better choice of gently-used clothing shops . Their clothes are  more trendy ,better fitting and age appropriate. I liked the lilac dress Erin had on . Alyssa also had a cute black dress in one of her TH. They also do more with their hair and don't wear it as long.

Kelly can do without those ski-vests, though. Not sure why she is so afraid to show her upper-body - she just need blouses that will complement her bust line .and mid-section. I think the vest calls attention to it.

Michaela needs to switch up from the maxi-dresses.

The Duggars need to realize not everything in the Goodwill/thrift store/rummage needs to be purchased, just because it is , or appears to be, a good deal.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

To those that are around newlyweds.. is it normal to be arm-and-arm at family functions - like at the "I love you day" party ? The glued-married couples was freaking me out. Papa Bill and Momma Jane sat next to each other but I could see a slither of couch & daylight b/w them. Now that was normal to me.  Correction: sitting next to hubby is optional. ☺

I guess if I was a young wife and mother I would be glad : (1) that there are other arms to catch, feed and/or change little one(s), (2) someone else cooked, or at the most I had to bring one dish and (3) I could sit down, rest my back and feet and watch the show. The last thing on my mind would be all under hubby. Hell, I might need to (or have to) be under him when I get home, so I would be happy with the break.

• Love 2
On 4/17/2017 at 9:31 PM, sATL said:

To those that are around newlyweds.. is it normal to be arm-and-arm at family functions - like at the "I love you day" party ? The glued-married couples was freaking me out. Papa Bill and Momma Jane sat next to each other but I could see a slither of couch & daylight b/w them. Now that was normal to me.  Correction: sitting next to hubby is optional. ☺

I guess if I was a young wife and mother I would be glad : (1) that there are other arms to catch, feed and/or change little one(s), (2) someone else cooked, or at the most I had to bring one dish and (3) I could sit down, rest my back and feet and watch the show. The last thing on my mind would be all under hubby. Hell, I might need to (or have to) be under him when I get home, so I would be happy with the break.

It was worse at the couples' dinner.  The married girls were all sitting on their husbands' laps.  I found it very odd and looked uncomfortable.

• Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, sATL said:

5 hours ago, luvbadtv said:

It was worse at the couples' dinner.  The married girls were all sitting on their husbands' laps.  I found it very odd and looked uncomfortable.

I wondered the same thing! I thought maybe it was just me but I wouldn't feel like sitting in my husband's lap while hanging out with my parents, grandparents, siblings and their husbands and wife were in the room.

• Love 3

I was a bit weirded out as well. I think it speaks a lot to their inexperience and immaturity. Even with the Bateses' somewhat lax courting rules, it's all insane, IMO.  Jessa Duggar is the only one I've seen who isn't a Stage 5 Clinger. They get married when they're in that puppy love stage with the first (or second) person who comes along and never learn to act differently.*  FFS, they actually had a serious conversation about how wedding planning is impossible if still in college. It's the be-all, end-all in their world, so they can get to work populating god's army against heathens like myself.

It's easy to see the Bateses as being somewhat "normal" when you compare them to the Duggars or Maxwells (Steve and Teri; check out their Titus2 blog if you've never heard of them or been on Free Jinger. It's a treasure trove of batshit.), but they're still zealots. They will happily take away many of your rights and mine in the name of Gothard (let's not pretend it's "god," 'k?) without thinking twice. It's the exact same bag of flaming dog shit, just tied up in a pretty bow.

*I'm absolutely not dogging on anyone here who got married young or married their first love. It can certainly be done successfully and I mean nothing against you. I met my husband when I was 18 and we've been together 18 years next month, though I dated a lot before meeting him and dodged some major bullets.

• Love 3

Lmfao, regarding the wedding planning, why do these people act like they're throwing a soiree comparable to Princess Di's? Their weddings are crap. Cheap decorations, bare bones buffets, mass mailing invitations etc. What exactly is so time consuming that the bride can't possibly be expected to do anything else for the better part of six months?

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Squirrely said:

I was a bit weirded out as well. I think it speaks a lot to their inexperience and immaturity. They get married when they're in that puppy love stage with the first (or second) person who comes along and never learn to act differently.

I totally agree...they definitely all seem to be pretty stuck in that teenage puppy love stage.  Maybe if they're BOTH (both husband and wife) feeling the same way...it works?  Just seems so juvenile and immature to me.  Almost false.  It's as if they don't evolve as people, or a couple.  Granted we are only seeing a very small portion of their lives/interactions.  It's a little weird - but what do I know?  :)

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2017 at 10:52 PM, BitterApple said:

Lmfao, regarding the wedding planning, why do these people act like they're throwing a soiree comparable to Princess Di's? Their weddings are crap. Cheap decorations, bare bones buffets, mass mailing invitations etc. What exactly is so time consuming that the bride can't possibly be expected to do anything else for the better part of six months?

I laughed at that too.  I managed to plan a wedding while working a full-time job and going to night class, and I didn't have an army of female relatives helping me either.

• Love 5
On 4/21/2017 at 6:25 PM, IndianPaintbrush said:

I laughed at that too.  I managed to plan a wedding while working a full-time job and going to night class, and I didn't have an army of female relatives helping me either.

I was EXTREMELY fortunate that MrSquirrel had an awesome stepmom at that time (who is sadly out of the picture now) who rallied his aunts together to really help us out. We had zero financial help and we put our savings towards a house and lived in sin first. Our wedding was small-ish and casual, but it was awesome. And I certainly didn't get to quit my job. I literally know no one who was able to be job- and school-free just to plan a wedding. I think that only works for fundies and really rich people. 

• Love 2

They really got me with the preview of this episode.  They show a car with "just married" and kept showing Tori and Bobby.  Then come to find out it's Kelly Jo's mother how got married!  Very clever TLC.

Kelly's mom looks wonderful.  She could easily pass for someone in their late 50's/early 60's.  I was disappointed in what Kelly wore to the wedding though. She didn't look any different than she does in her every day attire.  Even Gil wore a jacket and tie.  

All in all it was a sweet episode.  Seeing Tori and Bobby hugging like real people in love is refreshing.  And I even saw Carlin and Evan hugging cheek-to-cheek!!  Oh my goodness, Jim-Bob would stroke out if his girls behaved in such a manner!

• Love 8

And Gil said Carlin was too young to get married, a vast difference from JimBob selling Joy off. It's also cute how the girls were talking about matchmaking their brothers. I know they are part of the same cult, but the Bates just seem more open minded. I truly believe the kids set their boundaries, as Nathan & Ashley were front hugging and holding hands even before courtship, and I think Carlin and her guy do the same. 

• Love 3

These girls are infinitely more interested in fashion than the Duggar girls, (except for Michael), and they express their individual tastes. They dress with a typical, contemporary but modest look, except that pants are seldom worn.

Last night's show was pretty much another snooze-fest.  I guess they have to fill the 30 minutes with something.  I'd enjoy these nothing-new-going-on shows if they'd show more of Jeb and Judson.  They are the cutest little boys, and so smart!  They were talking when they were only 2 and a half.  I think they're less than a year a part in age.  They will grow up being very close to each other. The other stuff, cleaning out the shed and painting the basketball concrete was just filler.  Matter of fact, the whole show was just filler.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of the married daughters lives during these non-courtship shows.  I know Alyssa doesn't like the intrusion much, and I think Michael and Brandon are getting camera shy because of the pregnancy issue, but Erin, Chad, the kids and menagerie would be a different change of pace.  Certainly better than watching paint dry!