Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

• Start Topic

hmmm. need to ponder the "whys" behind this side story. Kelly stayed with her mom while her other siblings went to live with dad in TN.

Divorce was still a little rare 40 +/- years ago (50 - 9 - I think she said 3rd grade when the divorce happened), let alone the dad getting full custody of 3 children. And moved out of the state. I would think the "adults" in the situation would want the kids to grow up together.

Edited by sATL
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, sATL said:

hmmm. need to ponder the "whys" behind this side story. Kelly stayed with her mom while her other siblings went to live with dad in TN.

Divorce was still a little rare 40 +/- years ago (50 - 9 - I think she said 3rd grade when the divorce happened), let alone the dad getting full custody of 3 children. And moved out of the state. I would think the "adults" in the situation would want the kids to grow up together.

Maybe Kelly wasn't his?

They had to have gotten into more trouble.  That's a very serious situation.  The cameras being around probably saved those boys from a whole lot of nonstop fury that would have rained down on them.  I'm sure they got their butts handed to them when the cameras stopped.  Otherwise I'm sitting here watching and wondering how many of those older kids were like "I would have been laid out dead, what the heck."

• Love 9

You could tell Gil was really struggling with the boys' lack of understanding and how to handle it on camera. Ugh, the boys were playing with fire in the worst room possible. They were all so lucky.

Good for Alyssa having a low key get-together instead of a traditional shower. 

• Love 6

Wow, that was something.  I was like Gil at the beginning  & figured the dryer had caused the fire. That had to be a terrible ride home for them, not knowing what was waiting for them.  I'm sure the boys were punished when the cameras stopped rolling.  Gil & Kelly both said there would be plenty of future talks with the boys esp the one who actually lit the lighter (it was a lighter, correct?)  He didn't seem to grasp  what he had done.  Kelly said she was getting nowhere talking to the boys over the phone when she was in Chicago. It would be better face to face when she got home.  

On a different note, I thought Alyssa looked cute wearing a shorter jean skirt when the family arrived.  It was just above her knee but looked better than the floor sweeping ones worn by Anna & Jill Duggar. 

• Love 1
(edited)

sorry to play Monday morning quarterback. (1) why was a lighter left low enough for the little boys to get ? It's not like there are smokers in the house (2) who was supposed to be watching the boys ?

I do think the presence of the cameras hindered the boys explanation. They are used to being "cute& cuddly & playful", but unfortunately this wasn't the time. I think the camera crew should have excused themselves, and let Gil /Kelly do a TH, about what they discussed with the boys.

Lawson had a gig where he arrived home at 5 am ? Doesn't sound like a church. hmmm.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

You could tell Gil was really struggling with the boys' lack of understanding and how to handle it on camera. Ugh, the boys were playing with fire in the worst room possible. They were all so lucky.

I agree. Gil was trying to get Jeb and Judson to understand, but they did not seem to grasp it, at least at that moment. Kelly seemed to want to talk to the boys, but was not getting anywhere over the phone/Facetime. I would think when she got home there was going to be some kind of talk as well. I keep wondering how the Duggars would have handled it. They might have glossed over the whole thing, but who knows.

I thought that the lighter that Jeb and Judson used was one of those refillable butane lighters/fireplace lighter, but it was not clear if it was a standard lighter or something else. I could see people putting it in a drawer, cupboard, or just forgetting that they left it out. My niece knew her way around a step stool pretty early on to be able to reach stuff that she shouldn't.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sATL said:

sorry to play Monday morning quarterback. (1) why was a lighter left low enough for the little boys to get ? It's not like there are smokers in the house (2) who was supposed to be watching the boys ?

I do think the presence of the cameras hindered the boys explanation. They are used to being "cute& cuddly & playful", but unfortunately this wasn't the time. I think the camera crew should have excused themselves, and let Gil /Kelly do a TH, about what they discussed with the boys.

Lawson had a gig where he arrived home at 5 am ? Doesn't sound like a church. hmmm.

I'm wondering if the boys used one of those BIC fireplace lighters. The family may have thought they could leave the lighter next to the wood oven since it hadn't been an issue with the other 17 kids.  Gil and Kelly have said in the past they're in 'grandparent mode' and it shows with Jud and Jeb.  It may be a combination of them being the babies of the family and the cameras being present preventing Gothard-style discipline or they are naturally less mature and more curious than the rest of the kids.  This isn't a criticism of the boys, 4 and 6 year olds naturally get into things and need to be watched more closely. 

The older kids were in charge since Gil was on a tree cutting job and Kelly was in transit to Chicago.  It was just the perfect storm for something like this to happen.  The older kids are probably used to kids wandering around the house and, when they were younger, knew not to even look in the lighter's direction.  

I don't know how I feel about Gil going down to Florida right after the fire.  It was nice to show Alyssa he cared, but he even stated he was primarily interested in seeing Kelly.  They could go two more days without seeing each other.  

• Love 3
(edited)
49 minutes ago, birkenstock said:

I'm wondering if the boys used one of those BIC fireplace lighters. The family may have thought they could leave the lighter next to the wood oven since it hadn't been an issue with the other 17 kids.  Gil and Kelly have said in the past they're in 'grandparent mode' and it shows with Jud and Jeb.  It may be a combination of them being the babies of the family and the cameras being present preventing Gothard-style discipline or they are naturally less mature and more curious than the rest of the kids.  This isn't a criticism of the boys, 4 and 6 year olds naturally get into things and need to be watched more closely

The older kids were in charge since Gil was on a tree cutting job and Kelly was in transit to Chicago.  It was just the perfect storm for something like this to happen.  The older kids are probably used to kids wandering around the house and, when they were younger, knew not to even look in the lighter's direction.  

I don't know how I feel about Gil going down to Florida right after the fire.  It was nice to show Alyssa he cared, but he even stated he was primarily interested in seeing Kelly.  They could go two more days without seeing each other.  

Agree. The thought of them taking a lighter, running up to the laundry room and start trouble. that is beyond scary. Still wonder who was the oldest & awake person at home at the time. Not really blaming anyone, but does sound like a gap in the family security plan as to who is in charge when. Sounded like Gil took every available boy and I need to re-watch to see which girl went with Kelly.

could be. I have a lighter , that I use for the outdoor grill, that is from one of the camping companies. It takes me a couple of tries to get it to light as you have your use your thumb to push a button forward and your index finger to pull the trigger. I guess a 4-6 yr old could work that.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

Yeah, idk if the older kids were awake, hanging out, or busy with something else.  Tori, Josie, and I think Carlin were present as well as Trace and sleeping Lawson.  Family friend Courtney was there too.  Gil took Nathan and two of the middle boys to the tree job and Kelly took Katie with her to Chicago/Florida.  I agree there isn't a specific person to blame in this situation.  There were little things that could have been done to prevent this.

On 1/30/2017 at 2:36 PM, Sew Sumi said:

It's genetic and obviously not sex specific, so yeah it looks like Gil is the carrier.

Kind of like hemophilia in reverse.

Do you know the name of it?  My husband has Lupus Anticoagulant (but not Lupus) which means he is prone to clots (among other things) and has to take warfarin.

(edited)

My DVR recorded the 1st look for the episode tonight - "Loads of Laundry and Lots of Lessons" - The Bates relocate after a house fire.

Seeing the 3 min preview, I'm very interested in the reasons why that picked that particular location to relocate too. It made me think back to an old episode of the Waltons (which still come on every day ) when their house caught fire, and what they did. I know one family is fictional and one is real, but was wondering could the same relocate solution could have been used.

Edited by sATL

Did anyone get the name of their church when they went to inspect the building?  At least Kelly and Gil TRIED to be considerate with so many kids in a hotel, but that had to be hard.  Couldn't some of the kids stayed with Erin and Chad or Zach and his wife?  Why, for goodness sake, didn't they go to a laundromat?  Not sure what I think about their meeting with the Gatlinburg residents who lost their house.  Maybe a gift card might have been a more appreciated gift, although who's to say they didn't give one of those as well.   I was amazed at the size of the Ark...much bigger than I imagined if it was indeed built to Bible specifications.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

Did anyone get the name of their church when they went to inspect the building?  At least Kelly and Gil TRIED to be considerate with so many kids in a hotel, but that had to be hard.  Couldn't some of the kids stayed with Erin and Chad or Zach and his wife?  Why, for goodness sake, didn't they go to a laundromat?  Not sure what I think about their meeting with the Gatlinburg residents who lost their house.  Maybe a gift card might have been a more appreciated gift, although who's to say they didn't give one of those as well.   I was amazed at the size of the Ark...much bigger than I imagined if it was indeed built to Bible specifications.

YES!!! That is what I was thinking after watching the 1st look. Back to my fictional Walton's family episode (entitled the "Burn Out"), they split up the family to friends, while repairs were being done. And they made a small space so those actively working on the house could stay.

Back to the Bates- I know the TN married ones have small houses w/ infants, but I didn't know why they couldn't split up. Send 2 littles and a older one to each of the married. Make pallets on the floor/sofa. And what happened to the teen-family-friend that stays with them - I forgot her name. Her family couldn't take in an older girl? Couldn't the college ones stay with a friend who lives near campus? Lawson doesn't have any band buddies who can let him crash on the sofa?  Surely they have church/neighbor friends, who could have helped. They always claimed have to have a lot of  "friends"..

Ship 1-2 down to Alyssa/John, grandparents, aunts, etc. Michealla/Brandon's place is extremely small (which is another side story), and the distance, so I will give them a pass on taking in close family members.

Excellent point on the laundromat . Feeding qtrs. to a single washer/dryer for how many people for how many days?

Secondly - why a "hotel" ? As opposed to an extended stay/motel/even a reasonably priced cabin like they spent Kelly's birthday, which would have more home conveniences like cooking and possibly more than one bathroom?

Third - they stated the FirstLook and the episode, stating that they stayed in the hotel for a couple of "weeks". Now granted there was a fire on the top floor, and water damage to the 2nd (main level) and bottom (crawl space)? level. But the house was not condemned/total loss. We've all seen subdivision houses framed in a week. What was the hold up in starting the renovations? At least get the flooring and walls done, so the family can move back? They kinda made like their custom state-of-the art multi-unit laundry room closet was the main focal-center point of the entire house. What happened to the back/original part of the house?

I thought  the restoration svc could have did something about the smoke smell  - surely there is a faster solution than "open a window/door and let nature take its course".

And being in the "country" - no one had a trailer or RV that they could have brought in? Given that they have land, that would at least given them access to their own facilities, so to speak.

Bravo to the dry cleaners ! Wonder how much was that bill. I guess homeowner insurance covers that as part of the settlement. I would have went shopping to some degree. Kelly and her everlasting "vests" are starting to annoy me.

I think this episode I saw a little glimpse of Duggar behaviors and that scared me more than the fire. I guess a lesson to be noted here is to make a mental plan for your own family, should a fire occur. {Note to self: call & check  if homeowners  ins covers 2-bedroom hotels rooms, eating meals out /qtrs. for laundry if family is displaced -for weeks.. hmmm }

Anyone notice that Jeb/Judson did TH with Gil/Kelly ? Is that part of their punishment, along with giving away their water guns ?

I'll reserve my commentary on the Gatlinburg visit for later...☺

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

Agree with everything, but still say a lot of this is staged for the network.  Kelly mentioned I think about "a few days" then it was "a few weeks".  Who knows how long they stayed in that hotel.  And maybe they couldn't get clearance to film in a laundromat, from either owners or other customers.  We get a sort of glimpse into their lives, but, I really don't think we are getting a true picture.  I am just guessing those little boys had spankings too, but we wouldn't see that.  Do they have homeowners insurance?  they never had medical insurance.  Maybe that is the delay. they have to come up with $$.  Is the UP network the same as TLC in that they would supplement?  Maybe the dry cleaners comped them for having their truck in a scene.  The Batseses don't seem like they have an emergency fund.  But, they are a pretty family.

• Love 1

If they have homeowners insurance, that dictates the hotels.  Been there, done that.  We had water damage and we were out of the house for a month.  Even at some o the extended stay places, you really don't have a full kitchen.  Some have a stove top and microwave but no oven.  Really don't know why they didn't use a laundromat either.  (Probably did but production probably wanted a shot of them doing it at the hotel.  We know how production is).  Two room suites for 17 people is not a lot of space.  I am thinking that some of the older ones were staying elsewhere.

I really don't know how I feel about the Gatlinburg trip.  Something seemed so wrong about it.    I have seen the devastation in Gatlinburg up close.  I know people who lost everything and that filmed visit rubbed me wrong.

BTW, when did Lawson give up his apt?  Just for filming?

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

If they have homeowners insurance, that dictates the hotels.  Been there, done that.  We had water damage and we were out of the house for a month.  Even at some o the extended stay places, you really don't have a full kitchen.  Some have a stove top and microwave but no oven.  Really don't know why they didn't use a laundromat either.  (Probably did but production probably wanted a shot of them doing it at the hotel.  We know how production is).  Two room suites for 17 people is not a lot of space.  I am thinking that some of the older ones were staying elsewhere.

I really don't know how I feel about the Gatlinburg trip.  Something seemed so wrong about it.    I have seen the devastation in Gatlinburg up close.  I know people who lost everything and that filmed visit rubbed me wrong.

BTW, when did Lawson give up his apt?  Just for filming?

Yes - Agree 100%. I'm still going to try and hold my tongue (ok -fingers) re: that trip.

My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to those in Gatlinburg and other surrounding communities who lost property and most important lost their life due the fires of the summer/fall 2016. Prayers go out to all first responders. ✞

It was a very , very sad. Being a neighbor to the south of TN, the smoke from the fall fires drifted this way, which made being outside difficult for some (link).  Smelling smoke really bought to life how dry it can be and how things can change in very quickly.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sATL said:

Yes - Agree 100%. I'm still going to try and hold my tongue (ok -fingers) re: that trip.

My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to those in Gatlinburg and other surrounding communities who lost property and most important lost their life due the fires of the summer/fall 2016. Prayers go out to all first responders. ✞

It was a very , very sad. Being a neighbor to the south of TN, the smoke from the fall fires drifted this way, which made being outside difficult for some (link).  Smelling smoke really bought to life how dry it can be and how things can change in very quickly.

The smoke was awful.   It was even in parts of SC.

I can't honestly say, this is the first time that something filmed really rubbed me wrong with the Bates.  It seemed to be production driven and very uncomfortable. If they wanted to make a point, then show the true devastation of Gatlinburg and go in there to help clean and remove the debris.  Take food or blankets and things like that.  East Tenn is so dry.  The only thing about that trip that was true is that both fires were started by kids playing with matches or lighter.  

I'm still wondering what the older children got or even the parents.  We know what the younger ones got.  Teenagers need things too and so do the parents.  Maybe production and the Bates took them to a nice place to eat.  

That so-called trip and meeting should never have been.  I felt like they went there to make themselves feel better over the fire at their home.  Still rubs me wrong every time I think about that trip.  

• Love 5

@iluvobx described how I am feeling.  I wonder did a producer transfer over from "Counting On"  to BUB.

Homes  burned beyond the foundation,  the 14K people had to escape running, 3 deaths, pets/wildlife, 400 businesses (link) ...  they just lost their mega-laundry room & adjacent floors....

How Lawson placed the boxes/tubs at their feet also bugged me - like he was dropping off a case of water. I guess I was expecting him (or Jeb/Judson - if the lesson was for them to learn) to kneel down to the little boy/girl and say "here a nice ___" to play with.

UPN should have did a PSA at the end of the episode. Express your condolences/concern and mention fire safety prevention.

• Love 2

I'm catching up on the episodes and am watching the episode with the fire. Why, with all of the kids in the house, were the younger kids left alone long enough to start a fire? Where did the lighter come from? I know things happen in a second and the house is very large, but I am thinking that when the parents are gone, the kids just kind of do their own thing. I hope this was a huge wake-up call that they should be alert when they have the younger ones in the home. I also think the Jud and Jed probably got in huge trouble off-camera. I would be furious if I were Gil and Kelly! They are very lucky that no one died or was critically injured.

I agree with everyone who says that Lawson can't sing. Bless his heart. I feel like he'll get a following because he's relatively attractive and seems like a sweet person. I'm sure young women would eat up what he has to offer musically if he had the right producers to help make a hit.

• Love 3

I told my husband at the start of the show that there would be dinosaurs in the Ark and I was right!!!!!  This place must be associated with the Creation Museum the Duggars went to, yes? If I am ever in Kentucky again I have to go there. It's gold, Jerry! GOLD! 

edited to say: but of course I would not want  my $ to support nutty Ken Ham. But the snark! Oh the snark! It would be so hard to resist!

Edited by SongbirdHollow
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I'm catching up on the episodes and am watching the episode with the fire. Why, with all of the kids in the house, were the younger kids left alone long enough to start a fire? Where did the lighter come from? I know things happen in a second and the house is very large, but I am thinking that when the parents are gone, the kids just kind of do their own thing. I hope this was a huge wake-up call that they should be alert when they have the younger ones in the home. I also think the Jud and Jed probably got in huge trouble off-camera. I would be furious if I were Gil and Kelly! They are very lucky that no one died or was critically injured.

I agree with everyone who says that Lawson can't sing. Bless his heart. I feel like he'll get a following because he's relatively attractive and seems like a sweet person. I'm sure young women would eat up what he has to offer musically if he had the right producers to help make a hit.

The fire happened very early in the morning. Kelly was out of town and Gil was on a tree job. I believe Lawson, Trace and some of the older kids were there, but they were probably still asleep when Judson and Jeb got out of bed.

Kelly and Gil know they were lax in stressing fire safety. As others have pointed out, Judson and Jeb are the babies of the family and many parents overlook stuff like this with the youngest kids. I'm the baby of only three siblings. I got away with so much crap, it was ridiculous. So I don't really blame anyone here, and everyone learned a lesson.

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, IndianPaintbrush said:

It bugged when Erin said the people who opened their home to them were "true southerners."  Yeah, because that would never happen outside the south. I can't imagine many people would shut the door on a prior homeowner who just wanted to reminisce, although the cameras and # of people were a bit much.

Really? I didn't think she was wrong there. I live up north and most of us don't even open our doors if someone rings the bell if we don't know who it is/aren't expecting them. And this is in nice suburbs in NY, NJ etc. So I think there's a huge chance that you go back to your childhood home in NJ to reminisce and the current owner doesn't let you in bc anyone can use that excuse just to gain entry. Here though - obviously it wasn't as spontaneous as they wanted viewers to believe. I'm sure UP contacted the owners and showed up to the house weeks in advance to get them to sign the appropriate releases and add the lighting, camera, and wiring that you need to have to film a 5 min segment with 30+ people in a contained place like a house. In this instance even a northern homeowner would have allowed it - you would have met with production, signed contracts, and goggled the $hit out of UP and Bringing up Bates to know it was a plot but a real TV show.

• Love 2

So I only saw the hotel episode, not the one before it. I can see Jeb/Jud getting into a lighter even when they knew they shouldn't and starting something. But here's one of the many problems with these mega families - no one is really watching the kids. I think Gil and Kelly are 1000% better than the Duggars bc they view the kids as their responsibility - not their siblings - but even then, there are times where they slip into the mode of - one of their 100 siblings can watch them, no big deal. If Kelly was out of town and Gil was heading out for a tree job, someone should have been designated the babysitter for 5 and 6 yr old kids! It isn't enough that Lawson is home sleeping and Trace, Carlin, Tori etc. are in the house. It's a big house - it only takes a second for kindergartners to come up with a dumb idea and execute it. Someone should be their babysitter and while I realize the 20+ yr old siblings don't want to be playing with the 5 yr olds all the time -- they do need to be in the same room as them, knowing what those two are up to, and re directing them when they start to do stupid things. If no sibling wants to take that on bc they're sleeping in or whatever - pay one of them to babysit; ask Erin, Zach, or Whit to babysit; or hire an actual babysitter.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cereality said:

Really? I didn't think she was wrong there. I live up north and most of us don't even open our doors if someone rings the bell if we don't know who it is/aren't expecting them. And this is in nice suburbs in NY, NJ etc.

I'm from New England, and yeah, we're not exactly known for being warm and fuzzy. I didn't take Erin's comment as an insult at all. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm from New England, and yeah, we're not exactly known for being warm and fuzzy. I didn't take Erin's comment as an insult at all. 

As just one measly little person who lives in  the "south", I'm part of the crowd who doesn't open the door either if I'm not expecting anyone. Sorry.

Giving the rise of those installing outside security cameras (not to the degree of Kim Z. Biermann - " Don't be Tardy"), I think those ringing bells/knocking on random doors, are staring to know they are being watched, filmed, and probably won't get an answer. Better hope the homeowners didn't install the outside talking box option - you might get a response that's "not too welcoming". ☺

Not to be too cynical, do we really know that was Kelly's childhood exact home? Again, they could have found a willing family/situation (i.e. the home was on the market - ready for immediate show and tell) who opened their doors to TLC & BUB. That whole episode left me guessing wondering how much was production and how much was reality . I'm still stuck on she actually found her HS teachers...and one who was still teaching & new to HS teaching in 198x... at the exact HS...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, cereality said:

So I only saw the hotel episode, not the one before it. I can see Jeb/Jud getting into a lighter even when they knew they shouldn't and starting something. But here's one of the many problems with these mega families - no one is really watching the kids. I think Gil and Kelly are 1000% better than the Duggars bc they view the kids as their responsibility - not their siblings - but even then, there are times where they slip into the mode of - one of their 100 siblings can watch them, no big deal. If Kelly was out of town and Gil was heading out for a tree job, someone should have been designated the babysitter for 5 and 6 yr old kids! It isn't enough that Lawson is home sleeping and Trace, Carlin, Tori etc. are in the house. It's a big house - it only takes a second for kindergartners to come up with a dumb idea and execute it. Someone should be their babysitter and while I realize the 20+ yr old siblings don't want to be playing with the 5 yr olds all the time -- they do need to be in the same room as them, knowing what those two are up to, and re directing them when they start to do stupid things. If no sibling wants to take that on bc they're sleeping in or whatever - pay one of them to babysit; ask Erin, Zach, or Whit to babysit; or hire an actual babysitter.

This can happen in a small family too.  We were three children, two parents, in a small two bedroom growing up.  Youngest brother was fascinated with fire.  Had many lessons, etc.  One morning we were all sleeping (so everyone thought) and my father smelled smoke and came downstairs and saw that my youngest brother used a pencil in the gas stove to light it and then when it caught fire, threw it in the garbage can.  He was about 4 I think.  We were lucky my father smelled the smoke.  My brother got another lecture about fire and a spanking.  We all got another lecture about fire.  He was still fascinated with it, but as he got older found ways to be safe, such as we moved to a house with a fireplace and he could watch that fire to his hearts content in the winter time.  He never set another fire like that as far as I know. 

Also, I live in "the south" too, and don't open the door unless I know who it is.  I also don't believe the Bateseses popped in on the family just like that. As mentioned above, all of this spontaneity takes time and planning and contracts.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

The fire happened very early in the morning. Kelly was out of town and Gil was on a tree job. I believe Lawson, Trace and some of the older kids were there, but they were probably still asleep when Judson and Jeb got out of bed.

Kelly and Gil know they were lax in stressing fire safety. As others have pointed out, Judson and Jeb are the babies of the family and many parents overlook stuff like this with the youngest kids. I'm the baby of only three siblings. I got away with so much crap, it was ridiculous. So I don't really blame anyone here, and everyone learned a lesson.

I know Kelly and Gil weren't there, hence my comment about when the parents are away, everyone seems to do their own thing. I am the baby of the family and I got away with nothing, LOL, so that's very family dependent. I am very sensitive about when young children are not properly supervised as I've seen several tragedies occur because of that. I don't blame anyone specifically, but I do think this could have been prevented.

13 hours ago, cereality said:

You articulated this so much better than I could. I make no apology for thinking the ball was dropped majorly here. With that many kids, they really shouldn't be so chill about supervision. Hopefully, the Bates have made changes to how the kids are supervised when the parents have to leave.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I did. I went without a camera crew to my childhood home and was allowed in with my boyfriend at the time. 

Northern Commiefornia, polar opposite of Spartanburg, SC. :)

Bottom line, it's not a "Southern" thing. It's merely a personal choice. And truthfully, I doubt that family had much agency in this case. I'm sure UP explained what they were doing before releases were signed. Who doesn't want their home on TV? My parents were approached by a film crew who ended up filming their front facade,  entryway, and dining room for a commercial. They were paid nominally for the intrusion, which lasted about four hours. I imagine the Bateses' invasion took about as long, and the family was similarly compensated.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
On 3/11/2017 at 11:33 PM, sATL said:

As just one measly little person who lives in  the "south", I'm part of the crowd who doesn't open the door either if I'm not expecting anyone. Sorry.

Giving the rise of those installing outside security cameras (not to the degree of Kim Z. Biermann - " Don't be Tardy"), I think those ringing bells/knocking on random doors, are staring to know they are being watched, filmed, and probably won't get an answer. Better hope the homeowners didn't install the outside talking box option - you might get a response that's "not too welcoming". ☺

Not to be too cynical, do we really know that was Kelly's childhood exact home? Again, they could have found a willing family/situation (i.e. the home was on the market - ready for immediate show and tell) who opened their doors to TLC & BUB. That whole episode left me guessing wondering how much was production and how much was reality . I'm still stuck on she actually found her HS teachers...and one who was still teaching & new to HS teaching in 198x... at the exact HS...

Spartanburg High hasn't changed at all. Spartanburg hasn't really changed.  It's not uncommon, my children attended the same high school I did and there were a couple of teachers from my era still teaching, and my last child graduated in 2004.  The school still exist in name but they have built a new school building.

• Love 3
On 3/10/2017 at 8:53 PM, SongbirdHollow said:

I told my husband at the start of the show that there would be dinosaurs in the Ark and I was right!!!!!  This place must be associated with the Creation Museum the Duggars went to, yes? If I am ever in Kentucky again I have to go there. It's gold, Jerry! GOLD! 

edited to say: but of course I would not want  my $ to support nutty Ken Ham. But the snark! Oh the snark! It would be so hard to resist!

I believe this Ark spurned a lot of controversy. Huge tax breaks or incentives were given, and then they wanted to discriminate on who got hired. Lots of drama on the news while it was sloooowly being built.

All I could feel while watching was second-hand embarrassment for anyone over the age of 7 who believes that nonsense story is (was) real, just like the Duggars at the creation museum. I enjoy snark online about these places, but I don't think I could last long before my mouth got me kicked out! Lol

• Love 4

I saw it, but the only thing that stands out to me to comment on is that Gil made a cool bike rack out of a big log.

Honestly, that's all that stood out to me, besides Lawson's terrible singing..again.

It was so boring I kind of zoned out..

Edited by ChiCricket
Wanted to try italics
  • Love 2

Apparently the family loves The Andy Griffith Show as well. The show was on way before my time, so I only know bits and pieces of the more popular information about it. Pretty much all the family members thought Lawson was a Barney.

I did think Gil's bike rack was a cool idea. It was not necessarily my taste, but it looked cool in the end.

Lawson can not sing well. I have no idea if he takes vocal lessons, but he need way more of them. His songs are kind of basic, but I feel like he should focus on song writing or maybe the production side of the music industry. That might be where he fits better. Does he still have his lawn care business?

• Love 2

ok. City girl here... Why would a child need more than one bike at a time ? I understand they can grow out of one. Just seemed like a lot of bikes for the number of non-driving age Bates. Most times when a kid gets a drivers license,  bike riding decreases, unless there are places to get to easily/quicker by bike - like on a school/college campus.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

The Bates might have hoarder tendencies like my husband. Doesn't matter how many (nice) bikes my Grands have, if he sees one cheap in a garage sale, he is compelled to buy it.

Don't even get me started on the pure joy he gets from garbage picking one.

So yeah, I can see why the Bates might have so many dang bikes.

Edited by ChiCricket
Ninja edit
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I saw it, but the only thing that stands out to me to comment on is that Gill made a cool bike rack out of a big log. Honestly, that's all that stood out to me, besides Lawson's terrible singing..AGAIN.

It was so boring I kind of zoned out..

This pretty much sums it up for me. ?

eta: Looks like we get our first official look at Carlin's new boyfriend on the ski trip next week. Apologies,  can't remember his name, but she's been posting cryptic IG pics of them (latest sharing a non-drippy sundae) lately.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

Did the trip to see the damage and "help" the people in TN seem a little forced to anyone else? I thought it was one of the most insincere parts of the show-- and random. They should have been pimping the kids for a fire prevention episode instead of letting them get away with cuteness and a talking to later off cam. (Which I am sure involved a switch or two!)

• Love 4

I really don't get Lawson thinking he has a career ATM. I am a bad singer. He is a bad singer. He is flat on everything. The chick who was on the Voice was an angel in comparison. Carlin is a better singer than he is. I mean, when he sings stuff that isn't all bluegrassy he is OK but still somewhat flat. His bluegrass sucks. Lawson doesn't have the soul or the range.

• Love 3

Lawson loves attention on him at all times and I think that he thinks a singing career is perfect for him. He is in a fundie lifestyle where he can't really do much. Although he is a boy and can do far more than the girls can, it is drilled in his head that only certain jobs are sufficient. His singing "career" will not go far. There are way too many talented people for Lawson to ever get noticed. I hope that he has a back up plan.

9 minutes ago, Suzy123 said:

Lawson loves attention on him at all times and I think that he thinks a singing career is perfect for him. He is in a fundie lifestyle where he can't really do much. Although he is a boy and can do far more than the girls can, it is drilled in his head that only certain jobs are sufficient. His singing "career" will not go far. There are way too many talented people for Lawson to ever get noticed. I hope that he has a back up plan.

That is true. He and Trace are attention seekers. I think his singing could continue if he toured churches. But mainstream not so much. I live near where the Gaithers have their recording studio and I could see them saying, "No, no, it isn't going to happen for you. Trace maybe, but not you." I get the impression he would hate to have to be joyful in the tree business and I think he would do anything to get out of it--- unless he could be the singing Tree Feller-- Lawson Bravo (if you are old like me, you'll get the reference).

I love the Bates and have never missed an episode until last week.  I have my DVR programmed to record all the new shows.  However, when I read that Lawson's signing was going to be the highlight, I cancelled the recording.  

Lawson is a sweet kid, but he doesn't have a snowball's chance of a singing career any more than I do.  He's fine for county and state fairs, church events and so forth, but not as a serious professional singer.  Chances are he would not make the first cut on any of the singing shows on TV.  Not The Voice, not America's Got Talent and probably not even that lip syncing show!

IMO he should concentrate on selling the songs he writes.  He writes beautiful lyrics and the accompanying music as well.  I'm sure he could make a decent living doing that.  He just needs somebody else to cut the demos though.

• Love 8

Watched 15 minutes of tonight's ski episode. It was boring. But man the Bates are killing the Duggars in their courtship competition. Carlin had a friend on her trip - Evan - and she said they are getting to know each other and aren't in an official courtship; they were acting very couplish with Tori and Bobby and I bet it materializes into a courtship. And then Trace had a friend there too - Campbell Roberts (I think) - he didn't say how he knew her, but in fundie fashion she was very complimentary to him and told him how great he was at snowboarding.

• Love 5