Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E14: The Other Side

halgia
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, mishap said:

My concept of time is so off, with these episodes.  How pregnant is Maggie supposed to be?  Seems like forever since they found out.  Or was all this supposed to have happened in a month or two?    I just feel like, when I see Maggie, she ought to be looking pregnant by now.  But I have no idea how much time has gone by in their world.  This season has seemed exceedingly long in mine.  lol   I'm very glad to see some action though! 

Well, looking at the very well-formed baby via ultrasound, I would say much more pregnant than they are showing her to be. This whole pregnancy thing has driven me crazy from the beginning. First of all, Glenn knew Maggie was pregnant during the whole dumpster thing, right? She had to have been more than a month pregnant, because I would expect that women aren't exactly regular during the apocalypse. However, when she and Carol were captured by the Saviors, she said she was 2 months pregnant. She then had that whole horrible thing that led them to the Negan bashing. It has to be several weeks since then, so she would be at least 4-5 months by now. She should have a little bump by now. Jeans would definitely not be comfortable around the waist. Guess I should be suspending my disbelief but this bugs the crap out of me. 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, MichaelaRae said:

But watching Lauren Cohen try to push out her tummy for that scene was HILARIOUS.

As believable as that accent.

I know Maggie is loved by most.  Wouldn't it have been almost as good if Negan had bashed in Maggie's head instead of Glenn's and then we could all be watching Glenn be devastated and traumatized this season and taking bets on when he'd wake up and bounce back to take his revenge?

Do over.

• Love 20

I don't see anything wrong with Rosita using sex to get ahead in the ZA.  She's a grown woman and I would imagine the men were grown too.  We've seen lots of people willing to use violence or manipulation to get what they wanted.  With sex (the consensual sort, that is), everyone wins.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, candall said:

I know Maggie is loved by most. 

I don't love her. That accent is atrocious. I originally thought it was "Maggie&Glenn" and their syrupy, diabetes-inducing love story (even though Maggie always looked as though she were barely tolerating Glenn macking on her) I detested, but Glenn is gone and I still don't like Maggie.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, candall said:

I know Maggie is loved by most.  Wouldn't it have been almost as good if Negan had bashed in Maggie's head instead of Glenn's and then we could all be watching Glenn be devastated and traumatized this season and taking bets on when he'd wake up and bounce back to take his revenge?

Do over.

"Look at mah belly.  Ah em pregnint .  Me 'an Glinn is havin' uh chald!"  That fucking accent.  And why does she look like Brenden Frazer lately? 

• Love 14

I really want to like Maggie. But I'd much rather still have Glenn. (Maybe if I could learn to overlook her terrible accent.) The fact that it feels like she has virtually disappeared this season when she should have been a main storyline is just weird?

• Love 8

Noo Sasha goes in there and sacrifices herself for Rosita? This was all Rosita's plan let her go sacrifice herself!  We're going to lose Sasha, but keep Rosita? No.

I did like Eugene not wanting to go with them. I kind of found it funny, I don't think it's the bad thing to stay with the people who you feel safer with. 

I thought it was Daryl who showed up at the end. 

I know Maggie is loved by most.  Wouldn't it have been almost as good if Negan had bashed in Maggie's head instead of Glenn's and then we could all be watching Glenn be devastated and traumatized this season and taking bets on when he'd wake up and bounce back to take his revenge?

Do over.

I would have loved that. I really liked Glenn, but can't stand Maggie. Her her entire non-reaction to her sister made me just hate her. It was like what sister? During the entire arc. Then she tried to act like she cared after she was dead.

• Love 4

I love Maggie but I'm having big problems with her this season.  The accent never really bothered me because there so many bad accents on this show.  You'd think they'd take the money they've saved on CGI and spend it on a dialect coach.

I bought the love story between Maggie and Glen but a lot of that was Steven, who I thought was one of the better actors on the show.  His absence has made a huge difference, for the worse.  The loss of Glenn has hung over this show and it's amazing how little time has been spent dealing with that loss.  That's why I think it was such bullshit that Daryl didn't tell Carol about Glenn's death.  Carol should have heard about it from someone who knew Glenn and loved him.  But since Daryl and Carol are such very special little snowflakes he didn't have the guts and she was more than willing to believe the lie.  And now that Daryl is at Hilltop, does he spend any time preparing for the upcoming battle?  No, he's got a pity-party in full-swing and he's having way too much fun.  So we're supposed to believe that Daryl's so overwhelmed with guilt that he can't even look at Maggie.  But he's not feeling guilty enough to hold back from endangering the lives of Glenn's wife and unborn child.  After all the build up, less than five minutes were spent on Maggie and Daryl discussion about Glenn.  That's what happens when you write a show for the fangirls.

I said it before, but it seems that Lauren Cohan pissed somebody off.  Maggie should be a lead character this season and her story line should be front and center.  Maggie wasn't even the focus of tonight's episode which took place at the Hilltop.  I can't wait for the Walking Dead tell-all book!   I know it's going to be chock-full.  It'll probably come in a couple of volumes.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

The scene with Enid, Savior Couch and the veggies, stalling tactic.

She tried to get him to  carry the basket, so he wouldn't enter Maggie DUHryl's hiding place.

Oh, that's what was going on. Thanks. I turned on closed captions for the first time tonight - fed up with not being able to hear/understand dialogue - so wasn't paying close enough attention.

As for Glenn, he had all his personality removed (the way they've done with Daryl) before being knocked off. I would really have missed earlier seasons Glenn, but not the one he ultimately became.

I'm on re-watch right now. That fetus has to be at least 16-20 weeks (so 4-5 months pregnant) in that US. I work for an OB and I see pregnant women all the time who show a LOT at 8-10 weeks and some who don't show a lot at 4 months - but they are definitely showing. All the writers would have to do would be to put her in a bigger shirt with a little padding around the waist to make it believable. I suspend disbelief for a lot on this show, but this is pushing it.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Noo Sasha goes in there and sacrifices herself for Rosita? This was all Rosita's plan let her go sacrifice herself!  We're going to lose Sasha, but keep Rosita? No.

I did like Eugene not wanting to go with them. I kind of found it funny, I don't think it's the bad thing to stay with the people who you feel safer with. 

I would have loved that. I really liked Glenn, but can't stand Maggie. Her her entire non-reaction to her sister made me just hate her. It was like what sister? During the entire arc. Then she tried to act like she cared after she was dead.

I remember when Hershel, Rick, and Glenn returned to the farm after Hershel ran off. Maggie comes running out with her arms wide open and Hershel thinks he's gonna hug his daughter only for Maggie to run right past him and hug Glenn. Don't even get me started where she insisted that she go with everyone to one of the Savior's base and Carol told her that someone else should have went in Maggie's place. They were there to kill and had to make sure that pregnant Maggie is ok. Carol who didn't want to kill anymore at this point had to kill that Savior woman with the mole because she almost sliced Maggie in the stomach.

I don't dislike Maggie but she's not a favorite character of mine either. Writers have never given her much to work with.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

The scene with Enid, Savior Douche and the veggies, stalling tactic.

She tried to get him to  carry the basket, so he wouldn't enter Maggie DUHryl's hiding place.

Yup.  Personally, I was surprised the Savior didn't give Enid more crap about the knife - although come to think of it, why should he have bothered about it at all? 

1. Training notwithstanding, knives vs. firearms generally tends to be an uneven match - and the Saviors have all the guns.
  2. In a world full of walkers, you'd think the Saviors wouldn't begrudge their minions some degree of personal defense.  It's simply good business sense; a slave killed by a walker they couldn't put down is not very productive.

A couple of other relevant points:

1. Knives can be very effective weapons, but only when accompanied by extensive training - a WHOLE lot more than a few weeks.
  2. Knives are much more effective in hand-to-hand combat than as thrown range weapons.  While sticking the point of a blade in the end of a log speaks well to accuracy, it doesn't necessarily translate into the force needed to deliver a killing blow. 
  3. Not to mention if you DON'T kill your target with the one thrown shot, then all you did is cut them (possibly) and piss them off (definitely).  Which means you're facing a pissed-off and possibly bleeding armed dude, and you just threw your knife away.
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

I don't see anything wrong with Rosita using sex to get ahead in the ZA.  She's a grown woman and I would imagine the men were grown too.  We've seen lots of people willing to use violence or manipulation to get what they wanted.  With sex (the consensual sort, that is), everyone wins.

Everybody 'comes home happy'...... wait, I mean "'goes' home happy'.  Silly me and my faux pas.

• Love 1

On the rewatch, I can categorically state: yes, Daryl has apparently bathed and washed his hair. 

Heck, I would've thought THAT maneuver would take up an episode on its own.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

That Maggie/Daryl scene was shit. I hated it. Of course writers can't make any character mad at Daryl for too long. We didn't even see him cry because of that greasy rat's nest he calls hair. Maggie couldn't even be a little bit angry?? I'm not saying she has to be all Hulk Smash but come on. Ugh.

I don't like that Sasha is sacrificing herself. I guess her time is drawing near. Boo. Still don't give a flying damn about Rosita. I don't want Sasha to go.

About time for Greg to go. He's such a damn cowardly bitch. How the fuck did he come to be the leader of Hilltop? Jesus needs to throw his ass overboard and take over.

I like Simon for some reason. He gives off just a great villain vibe without being over the top. Simon for leader of Saviors please!!!

BBM, when I read that line I swear I thought I was in the wrong thread for a minute. I thought I was in a Teen Mom 2 thread and you were talking about Kail, lol. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, lmsweb said:

Can anyone clarify if that was Daryl or Dwight at the very end? My TV is a bit on the dark side, and I swore it was Daryl, but I forgot Dwight has a crossbow too.

Fortunately we live in a digital world...

who_dat.thumb.jpg.b9ea9ccfdf5d0e9b1267dc780f5ba73b.jpg

May be pure misdirection on the part of Production, but that looks like Daryl to me.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

The scene with Enid, Savior Douche and the veggies, stalling tactic.

Hiding down there in the middle of all that STUFF didn't seem all that smart anyway. Saviors are coming who are known to take your STUFF, so you'll "hide" in a place specifically designed to hold STUFF, where they might spend some time looking around? I know they were supposed to be frantic, but sheesh. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, SabseH said:

Hiding down there in the middle of all that STUFF didn't seem all that smart anyway. Saviors are coming who are known to take your STUFF, so you'll "hide" in a place specifically designed to hold STUFF, where they might spend some time looking around? I know they were supposed to be frantic, but sheesh. 

At first I thought they went down there because there was an established hiding place. If I knew that the Saviors could show up at any time and I was harboring people that could get me killed, I would have been busy working on some fool-proof hideouts.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, SabseH said:

The shifting camera work didn't fool me either. The first truck was well inside Hilltop and had a clear view of Maggie and Daryl running across the road in front of them.

• Love 5

I'm beginning to think Rick and Co. may triumph over the Saviors.   At this rate, a decade or more will pass before they actually get around to attacking.  Many of the Saviors will have become Seniors.  Walkers will give way to walkers, baseball bats to canes, tributes will consist of Dentugrip and Metamucil.  

CDB might stand a chance.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

I need for Negan, Simon/Negan Junior, and sexist Savior who kept calling Enid girl and threatening her to die horrible painful deaths.  I want someone to cut out Negan and Simon's tongues and gouge out their eyes before they kill them.

I'd watch.

• Love 2

Mr. pig and I are acquiring overdeveloped thumbs due the constant DVR pauses during this show.

(pause) Hey, I thought the Saviors confiscated all of Gregory's booze.  (rewind) Wait a sec - that was the good stuff in the closet and now he's guzzling rotgut.

(pause) Didn't Rosita just bolt with Sasha? Why is she carrying a basket of produce? (rewind) OK, hold the phone - it's Enid.

(pause) So that's why they Kentucky Fried the doctor last episode.  Now Nice OBGYN is in the way while Sasha/Rosita are trying to take a shot. Wait a sec - it's Eugene in the way!  Oops, now it's Hapless Doctor.

...and of course, the issue much-discussed upthread of...

(pause) Is that Daryl???

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

On the rewatch, I can categorically state: yes, Daryl has apparently bathed and washed his hair. 

Heck, I would've thought THAT maneuver would take up an episode on its own.

I wonder who wrestled that pig and held him down long enough to get him (sorta) clean.

I disagree with Maggie letting him off the hook so easy, but she had to take the chance to get close enough for a hug the one remote time he doesn't smell completely like a walker, that rolled around in manure and a bucket of grease hadn't fallen on his head.

2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Fortunately we live in a digital world...

who_dat.thumb.jpg.b9ea9ccfdf5d0e9b1267dc780f5ba73b.jpg

May be pure misdirection on the part of Production, but that looks like Daryl to me.

The only thing missing from that scene, was having Daryl walk forward just enough to make use of moonlight to catch just hard-to-make-out glimpses of the side and lower half of his facial features and in his gruff voice, mutter "I'm Batman".

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, waterytart said:

At first I thought they went down there because there was an established hiding place. If I knew that the Saviors could show up at any time and I was harboring people that could get me killed, I would have been busy working on some fool-proof hideouts.

Uh, yeah.  Put Sasha in charge of that.  Apparently she was able to dig a tunnel all the way under the fence and out into the woods--and then fashion a fake woodpile trapdoor at the entrance--without anyone noticing.

• Love 5

That nearly sent me into a coma, it was so so boring. I say it nearly episode but why they think only showing one storyline per episode is a great way of doing things is beyond me. Clearly just a cost cutting measure. Ugh!

Edited by Save Yourself
Because I'm an idiot ?
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, Save Yourself said:

That nearly sent me into a coma, I was so so boring. I say it nearly episode but why they think only showing one storyline per episode is a great way of doing things is beyond me. Clearly just cost cutting measure. Ugh!

I brought this up in the live thread, too. 

It feels so disjointed when you don't see someone [Sasha] for like a quarter of the season and then they're suddenly front-&-center for a given hour...  I was left a little side-swiped that she was so hell bent on a suicide mission to kill Negan, as evidenced by the end of last week's episode and early parts of this one.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

If anyone deserves that vile muck, he does. Just before someone kills him. Slowly. Oh, I know - put Eugene's poison pill in Simon's Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill! Guaranteed he'll never notice it in that stuff

Agree, although I was a little shocked at THIS show allowing someone to say they had sex for reasons other than true and undying love or because they're kinky like Negan and his harem. I liked it, and yeah - I admit I'd do the same thing. That's why she hooked up with Ol' Dolphin Smooth, the soldier. If you're going to hook up with someone in an apocalypse where the pickings are slim, may as well be someone who knows how protect and fight.

I was okay with Rosita sleeping with those guys, too. She said it was for fun, she wasn't forced into it (like Negan with his "wives"). 

I liked Rosita and Sasha finally talking, and I'm going to miss Sasha if she's gone after this season. I like her friendship with Maggie, but I've always liked her. 

Gregory made me laugh with his, "I'd be less stressed, if you left me my doctor" - something like that. Like a pouty little kid. 

Daryl pissed me off when he was going to kill that guy. He also wouldn't get away from the door at first, and to come out of hiding as soon as the door shut - that was dumb. I'd have waited a while longer, just to make sure. 

I didn't see why Rosita ran away. Did Sasha block her way in somehow? I need to watch again later - or at least fast-forward to that point.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Scribbles said:

I am still open to the idea Eugene is far less the coward than he once was and he didn't want to leave because he has plans in motion leaving would derail.

I still believe he's working a long con and I think he did the right thing not going with them as he knows they'd just hunt him down and kill him. 

6 hours ago, mishap said:

My concept of time is so off, with these episodes.  How pregnant is Maggie supposed to be?  Seems like forever since they found out.  Or was all this supposed to have happened in a month or two?    I just feel like, when I see Maggie, she ought to be looking pregnant by now.  But I have no idea how much time has gone by in their world.  This season has seemed exceedingly long in mine.  lol   I'm very glad to see some action though! 

This annoys me so much! It feels like she's been pregnant for 3 years. 

6 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Now this is the kind of Negan appearance I can get behind... when he's treated like how many people prefer the presence of obnoxious children - seen and not heard.

So true! Really wish she'd just shot him and all Saviours cheer and immediately ask all the neighboring groups over for a sausage sizzle. 

6 hours ago, lmsweb said:

I found myself getting a wee bit irritated at the whole "Rosita was with a lot of guys so she could stay safe and learn stuff" and then I had to check myself, hard. She's not the first woman in the history of the world who has used her attractiveness to stay ahead, and she won't be the last. And being totally honest with myself, I would do the same thing. I DID like that the writers let her own in on her own terms, too, by saying she slept with the guys for her own wants.

Also, am I the only who snickered when Gregory was threatening Jesus and thinking "Dude, you do NOT want to threaten someone named Jesus."

What she did was smart and I would also do whatever it took post-apocalypse and now she's at the point where she's acquired the skills necessary to look after herself and others. 

6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

If anyone deserves that vile muck, he does. Just before someone kills him. Slowly. Oh, I know - put Eugene's poison pill in Simon's Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill! Guaranteed he'll never notice it in that stuff

Agree, although I was a little shocked at THIS show allowing someone to say they had sex for reasons other than true and undying love or because they're kinky like Negan and his harem. I liked it, and yeah - I admit I'd do the same thing. That's why she hooked up with Ol' Dolphin Smooth, the soldier. If you're going to hook up with someone in an apocalypse where the pickings are slim, may as well be someone who knows how protect and fight.

I was glad too! One of the most ridiculous things about this show is the lack of sex for most of the characters. 

6 hours ago, candall said:

Do over.

I miss Glenn so much, even more than I thought I would. It's really decreased the enjoyment of the show for me, I would much rather it had been Maggie even though I really like her. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, lmsweb said:

I'm on re-watch right now. That fetus has to be at least 16-20 weeks (so 4-5 months pregnant) in that US. I work for an OB and I see pregnant women all the time who show a LOT at 8-10 weeks and some who don't show a lot at 4 months - but they are definitely showing. All the writers would have to do would be to put her in a bigger shirt with a little padding around the waist to make it believable. I suspend disbelief for a lot on this show, but this is pushing it.

Maybe she's having one of those Sarah Palin/Katie Holmes pregnancies, where the belly remains flat until about she's 8 1/2 months along.

• Love 5

I only got to see the last 20 mins but it sounds as if I didn't miss much.  More Saviors terrorizing the good people of the ZA?  Yeah, we get it.  They're villains and the good people are powerless.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Guess I can pass on the other 40+ mins.  Is this season over with yet?

Watching Sasha run into the compound made me sad.  What a waste of (what used to be) an interesting character and a lovely actress's talents.

Count me in as wishing we had Glenn over Maggie (or Rosita or Tara) too.  Talk about the waste of another great character/actor.

• Love 3

The writers' priorities are messed up. We have time to have Simon and Gregory talking about liquor for, like, three hours but the Maggie/Daryl interaction is about 20 seconds of poor writing? FAIL. Who makes these decisions? 

I like time jumping in shows but only if it's done well. TWD does not do it well. They should stop trying to be a Nolan and just worry about more things like character consistency and interesting dialogue. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Artsda said:

Not unless he was Flash.

8 hours ago, EllenC said:

I really want to like Maggie. But I'd much rather still have Glenn. (Maybe if I could learn to overlook her terrible accent.) The fact that it feels like she has virtually disappeared this season when she should have been a main storyline is just weird?

Unfortunately everyone has been sidelined so that TPTB can luxuriate (slipping ratings) in the awesomeness of Negan's storyline.  Although I probably shouldn't comment as I did miss a good part of the season due to him.

• Love 2

Boy they sure do use a lot of heavily armed men to collect a doctor from a bunch of pacifist farmers. Gee, I wonder if they could use a similar ploy to lure Simon and his men to the Hilltop, and lessen the advantage that Negan has at the Sanctuary, thereby lessening their disadvantage in manpower and weaponry?  Nah. Going in with a bunch of poorly trained red shirts carrying homemade knives and spears is a much better idea. 

The vantage point that Sasha had from that building to take out Negan seemed surprisingly easy to get to.  I wonder why nobody ever tried that before?  And why did they give up in that so easily?  Oh I remember. We're dealing with idiots. Well, nice knowing you Sasha. Have fun on Star Trek. 

Josh McDermitt should be able to get a haircut in a couple of weeks. 

• Love 4

Daryl was working my last nerve in this episode. He can't just go and hide like a good boy. He has to try peeping out, so he knows what's going on, having his knife ready - like the Saviors wouldn't know if one of their dudes just didn't get back on the truck. No, he's been down this route before, yet he thinks it's time to play Billy Badass. 

I did like his apology to Maggie. It seemed very sincere and vulnerable. It would have played better without all that hair in his face, though. 

I just can't get on board with Sasha and Rosita's mission. I can't picture Sasha, who always seems very intelligent and level-headed, taking part in this. And while it was nice to see the girls finally bonding, I kept thinking "you're totally missing Negan in the courtyard right now". And, of course, they miss one shot and totally abandon their sniper mission. 

I know that Rosita's whole speech was supposed to soften her again, but it didn't work for me. It sounded like she had a bunch of romantic entanglements where, from her end, it was a lot like how Abe was with her. So I'm finding it hard to have sympathy for her when Karma finally came around her way. 

And the end....why? Why is it not ROSITA'S time? But it is Sasha's??? Hell no. Rosita has been the one storming around with a death wish. Sasha has great bonds with the people back at Hilltop. Save Sasha! 

Big surprise - Eugene doesn't want to be saved. I called it. If he's back in there tattling on them I'm going to really lose it with him. 

So Jesus is gay. I said that aloud to my husband last night (who quit watching, but likes when I shout highlights from the couch), and he thought I was talking about the real Jesus and you should have seen his face. 

The doctors were brothers??? How confusing. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Do the Saviors really have so many cows that they can maintain a supply of ice cream?

So Negan has ice cream, but Morgan has his (artisan) cheese.

Do I hear a new type of Ben and Jerry's coming along?

As Mel Brooks said in Space Balls, "It's all about the merchandising!"

And, as if it was meant to be, no matter how you put the two names -- Negan, Morgan -- together you get -- WAIT FOR IT -- Negan (or Morgan).

Edited by JackONeill
6 hours ago, Save Yourself said:

I miss Glenn so much, even more than I thought I would. It's really decreased the enjoyment of the show for me, I would much rather it had been Maggie even though I really like her. 

I'm with you. I think everyone does. They always deliver the news like a double punch with Glenn being the one to the gut. "They killed Abraham...and Glenn." I realize his death would hit harder because he's OG CDB, because of the baby, etc...but even without that it seems like the actors are sad not to be working with Steven Yuen. This could all be in my head because Glenn is probably 5 or 6 on my list of imaginary TV boyfriends. 

Pivot: the episodes I've personally liked best this season were set in the kingdom or (a close second) the Hilltop. Really wish they would have focused the world building and tightened up finding Oceanside and the Garbage Pail Kids so we could be further on our way to war. I keep thinking this war still hasn't even reached the planning stages and I don't mind that Sasha and Rosita are both like I would rather literally die than deal with this shit, just kill him. 

IMO Eugene is not playing a long con. He's a self-admitted coward looking out for his best interests. He is betting if he leaves Negan there will be a day of reckoning and he'll die along with Rosita and the rest, so in that way I will give him credit not for changing his spots, but for cleaning the slime off his coat. But he is enjoying his authority there despite it coming at the expense of his most staunch protector, Abraham. I believe he is more comfortable there and confident he can play the game. What's kneeling and saying his name is Negan to a coward like Eugene? "I am Negan" versus enslavement and hard labor, ironing and immolation? He doesn't care.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 8

I still think Eugene is probably planning to betray Negan.  His proclaiming his loyalty so emphatically and that he "is Negan" seems like a the lady doth protest too much sort of thing to me.  

Sasha and Rosita trying to "rescue" him at that time made no sense, especially after they heard his walkie talkie chatter.   It was obvious that he had gained the trust of Negan and there was no immediate threat against him.  Either he was a traitor, who wouldn't want to be rescued, or a very well placed spy who shouldn't be rescued.  Either way, to quote Walter White, Eugene isn't  IN danger, he IS the danger.   

Eugene is perfectly positioned to aid the rebellion against the Saviors in numerous ways:

1) He now seems to be in charge of security.  He can use this power to make the Saviors vulnerable.

2) He has the poison pill.

3) I imagine they are going to want him to start reloading ammunition cartridges soon.  He can do all kinds of mischief in that roll.  He could sneak in overcharged rounds, or undercharged rounds that lead to squibs, and cause Savior guns to blow up in their hands in the middle of combat.  If he wanted to be more subtle, he could vary the powder charges or bullet weights so that while the rounds  will fire, their point of impact will be so inconsistent that their accuracy will be horrible.  

I didn't really buy Sasha suddenly turning from the (relative) voice of reason, into the one on the suicide mission.  The sniper plan made some sense, but the 2 women (or 1 woman) raid made no sense.  Even if they somehow managed to get to Negan and kill him, the Saviors would know who did it and it would immediately bring their wrath onto Rick's group, before they were prepared, and it would take away the element of surprise.

The whole Hilltop part of the plot just seems to be and endless cycle of the same story.  Maggie and Gregory are quietly at odds with each other, Jesus is somewhere in the middle. Negan's B team shows up to intimidate Gregory and we are supposed to be in suspense at to whether he will betray Maggie and the others.  

46 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Daryl was working my last nerve in this episode. He can't just go and hide like a good boy. He has to try peeping out, so he knows what's going on, having his knife ready - like the Saviors wouldn't know if one of their dudes just didn't get back on the truck. No, he's been down this route before, yet he thinks it's time to play Billy Badass. 

I did like his apology to Maggie. It seemed very sincere and vulnerable. It would have played better without all that hair in his face, though. 

I just can't get on board with Sasha and Rosita's mission. I can't picture Sasha, who always seems very intelligent and level-headed, taking part in this. And while it was nice to see the girls finally bonding, I kept thinking "you're totally missing Negan in the courtyard right now". And, of course, they miss one shot and totally abandon their sniper mission. 

I know that Rosita's whole speech was supposed to soften her again, but it didn't work for me. It sounded like she had a bunch of romantic entanglements where, from her end, it was a lot like how Abe was with her. So I'm finding it hard to have sympathy for her when Karma finally came around her way. 

And the end....why? Why is it not ROSITA'S time? But it is Sasha's??? Hell no. Rosita has been the one storming around with a death wish. Sasha has great bonds with the people back at Hilltop. Save Sasha! 

Big surprise - Eugene doesn't want to be saved. I called it. If he's back in there tattling on them I'm going to really lose it with him. 

So Jesus is gay. I said that aloud to my husband last night (who quit watching, but likes when I shout highlights from the couch), and he thought I was talking about the real Jesus and you should have seen his face. 

The doctors were brothers??? How confusing. 

I think having the character named Jesus be a homosexual is a gratuitous insult to Christians.  Would they dare have a gay Mohammed?

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 4

I've seen two reviews this morning that basically called this one the stalling episode that could have been cut to 5 minutes for the same effect.  

Daryl just never damn learns.  I guess it's supposed to hit us in the feels that he's marginally cleaner and crying over how his impulsiveness contributed to getting Glenn killed, but not until he walked right up to the line of doing the very same thing with Maggie in the fruit cellar.  Did he honestly not consider that knifing one guy wouldn't do anything to tip the scales in their favor but would probably bring all the Saviors down on tearing the place apart if one of their own either didn't come back or turned up dead?  Of course, Maggie the grieving widow was left to assure him that he bore no share of the blame and dry his tears because she's not allowed to have any facets of a personality at all or feel anything except plucky resolve.  Or maybe the TPTB have finally realized she can't pull anything more complicated than that off with her terrible continuing attempts at an accent.

Add me to the chorus of saying that's at least a later second trimester fetus they're showing for a woman who's not really showing at all.  I know many women don't pop much until later in a first pregnancy (I didn't.), but they also don't tend to be as thin as Maggie is to the point of comically having to arch her back to make it look like there's anything there at all.  It's absurd that the show didn't go the obvious route and just dress her in baggier clothes and leave it at that, but that would apparently violate the show rule that every woman under 40 who's not playing a lesbian has to have her pants uncomfortably tight to the point of looking painted on. 

I'll be sorry to see Sasha go because I always enjoyed how very level headed she was up to the point of her involvement with the Heat Miser, when her entire story suddenly became all about what a catch he supposedly was.  I'll admit I zoned out a fair bit during Rosita's huge exposition dump conversation with her, but the gist I got was that she picked up all of her many skills moving from one guy to the next until she too finally hooked up with the Heat Miser. Which is fine, but maybe the least surprising reveal ever.  She's a very pretty woman and a tiny thing, kind of like Lori only sans child to need help providing for.   I've always assumed that a lot of relationships of convenience and/or protection sprang up as the world they knew fell into chaos and died and I'm always a little surprised that we don't see more of those.   Of course they gave up on their sniper mission after a whole 20 seconds of not getting a clear shot and ramped up immediately to suicide mission.  It's not like there might be any possible fallout from that.

Eugene by this point has to have heard that they're looking for Daryl, probably along with all the threats of what they'll do to him if they ever do find him. He's seen a man be thrown into a fire over something seemingly minor.  He knows by now that Negan seems to have a hard on for Rick and crew.  He's also very aware of his limitations in the survival skills department.  So it's not terribly surprising that he saw a whopping two crew members, one of whom bullied him into his current situation, and realized that they weren't exactly an overwhelming rescue force and that it would less dangerous for him to remain where he is, where at least he's being given a certain amount of autonomy and respect and he's not actually suffering at all.  I'll be curious to see how that shakes out for him three years from now when they maybe finally get around to toppling Negan.

• Love 7

I'm not really sure what to think of this episode. I liked Sasha and Rosita's talk and I'm going to miss the former. However, I hated Sasha sacrificing herself and the "you're needed" speil especially to a character I've never really cared for. 

Another thing I disliked was the Maggie/Daryl scenes. I'm tired of Daryl being coddled and his dumbass not showing any growth. His lack of self-control got Glenn killed and there he was yet again getting ready to make another impulsive decision.

Something that I did enjoy however was Gregory and Simon. The former is a straight up coward but the actor does a really great job. And the latter actor probably would've made a much better Negan. He's scary and an asshole without being over the top

• Love 8

I wasn't a fan of Sasha basically devaluing herself telling Enid that Maggie needs her more than herself and now Alexandria needs Rosita more than her. Is Sasha for real?? Sasha has the best gun skills out of everyone and they're preparing for war, she's gonna be one of the most valuable people they have. Michonne is just learning how to use a sniper rifle, I mean she's gotten better at it but come on. Writers could have showcased Sasha more for 7B, especially her grieving of Abe, just showing her at his grave does nothing. Sasha deserves a much better exit if she's leaving.

I hate when writers use other characters to prop up other characters. "You can do everything." Really, tying damn nots and using knives doesn't make her all powerful and if she could do anything she would have been able to kill Negan when he was 3ft away. I hate when writers do this, don't tell us, just show us and let audience decide whether a character is good at something or not.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, allyw said:

Another thing I disliked was the Maggie/Daryl scenes. I'm tired of Daryl being coddled and his dumbass not showing any growth. His lack of self-control got Glenn killed and there he was yet again getting ready to make another impulsive decision.

There are many Fails that can be awarded to this show, including lack of a good dialect coach.

But to me the biggest Fail goes to TPTB, which I think most of us would agree with. It's nowhere as evident as in this season, IMO. We had the horrid deaths of Glenn and Abraham. Many so us -- both viewers and professional critics (unlike us unpaid hacks) -- wanted to see the repercussions of that. Some of us even openly wondered if Daryl felt guilty for Glenn's death. And some wondered about Sasha, Rosita and the Big Red Man. We wanted to see some feelings!!! (Which, btw, is different than having a skull crushed in...well, unless you're 12.)

I even remember Gimple talking about it on TTD.

Yet, here we are, what seems to be MONTHS later, and we're just getting around to it. Yet--even then--more time is devoted to Enid and the pervert, than Maggie and Daryl.

The biggest problem with this show is TEMPO and how to portray what people are feeling. Always has been. Which means it's the fault of TPTB.

I mean, here we are, coming to one of the biggest battles the show has ever portrayed, and things are STILL moving at a snail's pace. We're still meeting new people. There are certain things we know will happen, but they haven 't yet (Hello, beach trip, and may I borrow one of your guns). Maggie is just NOW talking to Daryl.

Yes, you shouldn't shoot your wad all at once...but what about four play? Build some tension.

Oh, that's right...we're talking about Kirkland and Gimple.

• Love 14

Hopefully Sasha will take out a bunch of Saviors before going down in a blaze of glory next ep.  Her speech to Rosita about how much she's needed felt like she was a mouthpiece for the showrunners who are determined to ram Rosita down our throats.

Oh cry me a river, Eugene.  This sad sack has to go.

So I guess they're never going to bring the Amazon tribe into this war?  What was the whole point of that setup then?  I figured Tara would have wandered back there by now to get them on board.

I figured Maggie should have actually had the baby by now.  I agree that for her to not be showing when she is several months pregnant is dumb.

• Love 2