Type keyword(s) to search

Big Brother Canada Season 5

39 minutes ago, Artsda said:

She's the worst, her blind hatred for Kevin is ridiculous and she's not a real player of this game. I can't wait to see what her game moves are she's going to say to jury if she ends up F2. Since everyone left will probably drag her to the end because she's a waste of space.

I don't mind her age or her personality to be honest but this feud with Kevin going back to day 3 (!!!!) is way too immature. You are in a game where everyone lies ffs, just get over it! Other than this hate for Kevin I find her amusing. I just feel sorry for Kevin's family, seeing an older woman having such hatred for their son for no apparent reason and over a f.. game.

• Love 4
On 2017-05-16 at 11:37 AM, Rachel RSL said:

Ika is insufferable. What exactly did she even mean when she said their partnership was one-sided? If she means that Demetres wins all the comps and keeps them safe while she loses every comp and antagonizes the other houseguests then, yeah, definitely one-sided.

Also, Ika made a comment about how her doctor did a good job on her boobs.  Was she joking? Because, if not, she can STFU about wanting to win the money for her kids.  If you have enough money for a boob job, you don't get to use the "doing it to give my kids a better life" sob story.

In other news, Nikki is still as awesome as ever!

Ika spending money on herself (for whatever reason) doesn't nullify her reason for wanting to win the money for her kids. I'm pretty sure she did have a boob job because someone had complimented them in one of her IG posts and she said, the trick is finding a great doctor. That said, someone else could have paid for them. Maybe Ika was in a better place financially at the time and now could use some extra money. Maybe her kids have taken up extra curricular activities that require time and money to invest in, maybe with her growing kids, she realizes how much help that money could be in saving toward their post-secondary education. Point is, wanting better for her kids isn't a sob story just because the woman got a boob job. We don't know how long ago that was and what her circumstances then and now are. Any average income earning person would tell you that they could use some extra cash whether it be for themselves or their family. That's the reality of living in a world where everything costs money and you can only earn so much. Some people talk about wanting to buy a new home, pay off some debt - Ika wanting the money for her kids doesn't mean that her kids are poor or needy, it just means that she would put most of the money toward her children if she won.

On 2017-05-17 at 1:11 AM, WhiteWalker said:

Karen is a waist of air time. What a disappointment this non competitor is. She threw Dillon's game away just so she could spite Kevin. Then when Demetres puts her on the block she has the nerve to say "What kind of person would Demetres be if he had put Ika up". ARE YOU SERIOUS, HE WOULD BE YOU. That's the kind of person he would have been. At this point she's openly playing to lose, and I don't watch Big Brother to see that. I guess she's not as big a fan as she pretended to be. Pathetic!!!

I think Karen truly believes she's playing this game, which is hilarious to me. Karen truly does think that she's protected Ika and Demetres in this game. Other than saving Demetres, Karen has never had to protect them per se, she's only had to campaign for them. Karen hasn't had as much sway in the votes and power in the house and she's trying to make it seem like she has. She basically aligned with a formidable two person alliance. You don't need to 'protect' people who are in power (or protected by the HOH) for the majority of time they've been in the house. I don't think Karen would have even beat Dillon if he had stayed and they made it to F2.

Surprisingly, Ika was a lot more gracious about leaving then I thought she would be. She didn't seem bitter at all but she's also had a lot of time to come to terms with it since Kevin had the POV for days before he used it last night on himself. Or maybe her last make up with Demetres with the actual realization that her vulnerability in the house with the dwindled numbers rested solely on her for not being able to win anything to protect herself - and to protect Demetres who always came through for her.

• Love 1

That POV looked hard, I wish we had gotten to see the other times. Demetres was 45 mins, but would love to know how close Karen came.

Ika in her speech to Kevin basically said Karen was a waste, yet Karen's claiming she was the one who brought Ika and Dem along? LOL What game is she playing in her mind. And seriously Ika, it's not like she or Dem would be evicting Karen had Kevin not won POV. They were going to do the same thing.

• Love 1

A part of me thinks it would be hilarious if Karen won, though.... Ika and Demetres keep talking about "strong players" and who deserves it. I'd say, by definition, not getting evicted is the only criteria for deserving to win Big Brother! You didn't evict Karen, well then let her win ;)

1 hour ago, RHJunkie said:

Some people talk about wanting to buy a new home, pay off some debt - Ika wanting the money for her kids doesn't mean that her kids are poor or needy, it just means that she would put most of the money toward her children if she won.

Well said!

Ika says she respects Kevin, but....

She trashed Kevin's room and made Demetres help her. She called Kevin slithering. She told to shove the veto up his ass. She accused him of lying when he said he was looking for his glasses. These aren't things you do to someone you respect. Ika is a straight up bully. I wish we could have gotten at least one episode without her.

• Love 2

Now I'll have to support Demetris being Greek myself and given that Ika who imo was a bad influence for him is gone. I do like and respect Kevin's game but I can't understand how an intelligent man like him chose to have a relationship with naive Pilly. I guess he likes his women to be less smart than him to feel superior? I don't know.

What do you think Demetris' parents will think about Ika? 7 years older than him and with kids? Knowing Greek people I don't think they'll be happy. He had said going into the house that his mother would be happy if he'd found a Greek girl. Seems ironic. I do think Ika loves him but if she does she has to let him go and live the life of 25 years old and not 40 years old with kids and responsibilities. What do you think?

• Love 1

I can't understand how an intelligent man like him chose to have a relationship with naive Pilly. I guess he likes his women to be less smart than him to feel superior? I don't know.

I didn't make the connection until you said that, but William seemed similarly naïve, so I guess that's just Kevin's MO.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Point is, wanting better for her kids isn't a sob story just because the woman got a boob job.

In my opinion, it is. YMMV.

In other news, this is an old article about where the BB house is but it's still interesting. I had no clue that their "outside" is actually indoors.

5 hours ago, himela said:

. I do think Ika loves him but if she does she has to let him go and live the life of 25 years old and not 40 years old with kids and responsibilities. What do you think?

It'll probably fizzle out once they're out of the house for a while. Most showmances do.

Edited by Rachel RSL
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

In my opinion, it is. YMMV.

In other news, this is an old article about where the BB house is but it's still interesting. I had no clue that their "outside" is actually indoors.

It'll probably fizzle out once they're out of the house for a while. Most showmances do.

Nope, that article is from 2013. It's now filmed in a TV studio on Lakeshore Blvd not far from where the Gardiner ends. I've been to the tapings several times. I wish it was still in the first location, it was really close to me!

So glad ThatKevinMartin won! That show could have shortened by 1/2 hour, and left out the 1/2 hour dedicated to Ika. 

• Love 1
(edited)

So happy Kevin won! A deserving winner for this season. 

40 minutes ago, Evenshorter said:

Nope, that article is from 2013. It's now filmed in a TV studio on Lakeshore Blvd not far from where the Gardiner ends. I've been to the tapings several times. I wish it was still in the first location, it was really close to me!

Yeah that was just the season 1 location. I was driving from work on the day of season 1 reunion show taping for ET Canada and ended up in the non-tickets line and got to go in for the taping. I wish it was still there too. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

I'm so glad that Kevin won. When it came down to the wire, he did exactly what he needed to do, he made the smartest decisions for his game, and it paid off big time. Well done!

And I must admit: Watching his emotional reaction when Arisa read out the votes was really endearing.

*sigh* I'm going to miss this show. U.S. Big Brother just doesn't compare. (Don't get me wrong; I'll still watch it. But it definitely suffers by airing so soon after the Canadian version.)

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

If you can't separate what happens in that house with the reality of outside that house, you won't ever last long. People say and do horrible shit in the BB house all of the time. It doesn't mean they go around their real lives lying, cheating, stealing, backstabbing and yelling at everyone they come across that doesn't give them what they want.

The BB house isn't real life. Ika talked a lot of shit, a lot of them talk shit in the house. So what? She wasn't the house bully. She was Jackie's bully. I don't know what the hell Jackie could have possibly done to earn the wrath of Ika the way she did but Jackie is an example of someone that Ika truly doesn't respect or like. Ika hasn't treated any of the other housemates like that. She can be mad at them, she can yell at them, she can call them out and she can try to blow up their game so that the rest of the house goes after them, but they were still people she laughed with, hugged, ate with and had real and natural conversations with. She never gave Jackie that kind of chance. I also think that both of them really wanted to work with each other but Neda was the friction between the two. Kevin was loyal to Neda and Ika couldn't trust her and when the line was drawn in the sand, Kevin chose Neda and Ika felt like the trust was totally broken. But I think that Kevin was genuine about wanting to work with her afterward and that he would have kept his word to her and Dem. Also, if there wasn't respect there, she wouldn't have voted for him. Ika and Demetres were the only two people on that jury that could make a case for voting for Karen because Karen did in fact help save their alliance game twice when both were put up together and managed to escape twice. I actually think it's awesomely poetic that after all of that escaping the block when the odds were against them, it was Demetres HOH week that sent Ika packing, lol.

I'm a fan of game play, in all aspects. Ika, Dem and Kevin were all good options to win BB based on game play but I'm really happy that Kevin did. I love the underdog story.

Very well said. I'm still sad that Neda was edited so badly and Ika as the Queen. Not sure what Neda did to piss off BB, but I feel bad for her. I know she had a bitch face on during the recap/highlights of the season, but so did I watching 20 mins of The Ika Show.

• Love 2

Please don't attack me personally.

Best parts of the finale were watching grown men cry with happiness, grown women who can't climb the stairs because of fashion, and getting to hear from the jury and pre-jury evictees. Really happy that Kevin won.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Evenshorter said:

Very well said. I'm still sad that Neda was edited so badly and Ika as the Queen. Not sure what Neda did to piss off BB, but I feel bad for her. I know she had a bitch face on during the recap/highlights of the season, but so did I watching 20 mins of The Ika Show.

I didn't watch any of the feeds during the beginning and only watched some near the end, but Neda did have a more cocky air about her, both from being giving immunity by Canada and from her reputation she earned during her original season - which isn't the Neda personality that originally endeared Canada toward her. Neda was considered legendary because like a Dan, she was strategic and manipulative without the bravado and the only reason she didn't win her season is because she failed to win the final HOH. With Ika, fans loved her in her original season for her personality and she wasn't any different this time around. She played the game with the exact same personality but with smarter game play when it came to managing her alliances in the house and making sure that she wasn't the #5 person in 3 different alliances. At the end of the day, whatever edit they gave Neda, it still came from material she gave them and we all know production's first priority is to make sure they create as much drama and entertainment as possible. If that means a beloved legend gets a sketchy edit that turns them into a villain by the viewers, then so be it.

I will say, the incident with Neda and Sindy was the worst thing I had seen all season and I wouldn't be surprised if that had a huge part in turning the tide against Neda. If similar incidents happened with others doing the same, they didn't show it. As much as Ika got the label for being a bully, what Neda did was the definition of bully. She not only targeted Sindy in that incident but she made the effort to try and get others to participate in it. That was the lowest thing I had seen all season in terms of the housemates treatment of others and it probably made it to air because it tied into the storyline of Neda being too cocky for her britches. I don't think that Neda is truly that kind of person and the fact that she gets along with the others would suggest that she isn't, but it was a poor choice moment captured on camera and while I'm okay with using the footage to create a storyline of Neda vs Ika, I just hope it doesn't come at the cost of Neda forever being labelled negatively for it. There's very few things that can happen in the house that I think should hold weight outside of the house.

(edited)

I’m relieved that Kevin won. I couldn’t stand the guy in S3 and thought that he played a half-assed game this time around, but after Bruno’s eviction, I believe that he was the only person left who was actively playing for himself to win.

William & Dre were sleepwalking, too afraid to make moves before it was too late. Jackie was spineless. Dillon was weak-minded and then had the nerve to be pissed when he was shown the door after not doing anything to prevent it. Karen explicitly stated that she wasn’t playing to win. I never really liked her after week 1 when I thought that she was sane, but the minute she started that “good/deserving” people BS, I wanted her lose badly. Both Ika and Demetres wanted each other to win more than themselves which imho isn’t romantic at all and is something that they will both be embarrassed by in about 6 months to a year when they’re nothing more than Facebook friends.

Plus it was evident during the finale, that Kevin actually appreciated it the most. Beyond being happy for him, I'm elated that Ika and Demetres lost.

It still cracks me up how cocky they were to say more than once to Kevin’s face that he couldn’t beat Demetres in a competition, followed by Kevin doing exactly that all the way to the end. I thought that Demetres was arrogant AF and the idea of him being some Prince Charming is just embarrassing.

Ika played a far better game than she did in S2 (the bar being low already), but the early claims that she is a top-tier player on the level of Dr. Will are just ridiculous. Her game was very flawed, nearly blew up more than once, and her endgame strategy was basically for Demetres to win the last few challenges and take her to F2. On paper that doesn’t seem bad as it was working for her throughout the season, but it doesn’t factor in the presence of someone like Kevin and there’s always a “Kevin” in the late stage of the game. It’s just sloppy and while I acknowledge that they did try to eliminate him before the endgame, the second best option would’ve been to study which she couldn’t be bothered to do. Or at least focus on Demetres studying more than he apparently did.

Hopefully over time and with some distance from this season, people will be able to look at her game more objectively instead of getting wound up in the entertainment of her game. Which… I honestly didn’t find Ika entertaining at all. She’s one of the few contestants on a reality TV show that I believe is actually rotten in real life. She mentioned that when she was promoted to manager at her job that it was a decision that was not “supported” by her co-workers. Why am I not surprised?

It boggles my mind that people were actually scared of her “wrath”. Scared of being yelled at? There’s nothing she can do to you! I get that most people are not used to confrontation and in most situations in the real world, would walk away or avoid it. But this is Big Brother. I have no idea why this show always cast the biggest weaklings. It was actually infuriating to watch those lames feeding into her ego by being scared of her.

I was also pretty disgusted by the favourable edit on the show. Favourable is an understatement. I expect that kind of thing from the US version, but Canada went above and beyond to paint Ika as the person that the audience should want to see win. Also, it was bad enough that they allowed crowd noises to leak more than once (which tainted the game from the DE onward) but they spun all of her nastiness as “fun sass”.

My problem with all of that is there seems to be a certain archetype of black women that over all of my years of watching reality TV, I know without a doubt that a certain segment of the audience not only desires to see on these shows but will support beyond any reason. Why that is, I can only speculate. When a contestant doesn’t fit that mould, they will try desperately to assign certain characteristics to her actions anyway and if that fails, she’s dismissed as a flop. But when you have someone who not only embraces those characteristics but makes it her game, it’s like those fans have hit the jackpot. Then they can collectively clutch their pearls whenever someone disparages that contestant’s behaviour. As a WOC, I just don’t like it.

Anyway, BB fans have always been extreme and kind of crazy. I think what’s saddest in this modern era is that they actually believe that gaining the adoration of some nut jobs on twitter is worth more than the actual prize money. There’s no fame to be had from BBCan.

On 2017-05-18 at 1:51 PM, himela said:

What do you think Demetris' parents will think about Ika? 7 years older than him and with kids? Knowing Greek people I don't think they'll be happy. He had said going into the house that his mother would be happy if he'd found a Greek girl. Seems ironic. I do think Ika loves him but if she does she has to let him go and live the life of 25 years old and not 40 years old with kids and responsibilities. What do you think?

Aside from the cultural differences, I'm guessing that both families have reservations about the other person based on what was said in the house.

Her emotional manipulation should be a huge red flag to anyone in his life that cares about him. While I think that his sister who ran his twitter was probably sincere in liking Ika, I wonder if she would be as supportive if Ika wasn’t popular. Plus Ika’s views on love, sex and relationships were cringeworthy imo. They would be for someone who was 22, let alone 32. It’s easy to be patient when you’re both restricted to one location and your game/emotional survival is so reliant on one another, but when he doesn’t have to put up with her mood swings, we will see how he deals with it.

Her family is probably wary of some new guy who she has known for all of two months entering her kids’ lives for who knows how long. In a way he has already been “introduced” to them via the TV show. Let’s be serious… for the past two months, he has only seen her as a single, attractive woman which she is, but the reality of her kids has not had to be part of the equation. The guy is not looking to play step-daddy to two adolescents. Plus, she nearly threw her game away for him twice… She said that she was haunted by her poor moves as HOH in S2. Had she been able to execute such a dumb move this season, a year from now when Demetres is long gone, how ridiculous would she feel? (It’s also another big reason why I don’t think she’s a top-tier player.)

It’s just not going to happen. They may love each other as people, but I doubt that they’re in love. I don’t think there is anything wrong with developing feelings in the house and enjoying the moment, but I kind of thought (like with most showmances) that they mostly looked foolish.

Edited by My Friend Goo
  • Love 4
On 5/19/2017 at 7:38 AM, Evenshorter said:

I think TPTB thought Ika would win, she's so oven the top , she makes me feel sick. I suspect a little of everyone is real on this show Ika and her ( too big for her body)fake boobs included

• Love 1