Type keyword(s) to search

Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This week's episodes - looks like they're skipping Columbus day:

[Oct 15, 2019] Beginnings
As Rapunzel struggles with Cassandra's betrayal, the princess recounts the story of how she and Cassandra first became friends.

[Oct 16, 2019] The King and Queen of Hearts
Rapunzel finds that her parents' memory loss has made them forget how they fell in love; things get complicated when King Trevor tries to steal the Queen's heart.

[Oct 17, 2019] Day of the Animals
Max, Pascal and the animals must rescue Rapunzel and the gang from being trapped forever in a magical prison.

[Oct 18, 2019] Be Very Afraid
When Corona is overcome by a new strain of rocks that induces fearful visions, Rapunzel teams up with Varian to put an end to the new threat.

• Love 1

"No Time Like the Past"

Aw, this was fun! Although I think they could have just had a flashback episode without the magical shenanigans. I liked seeing the younger versions of the characters; Young Lance should have had some hair, IMO.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Trini said:

"No Time Like the Past"

Aw, this was fun! Although I think they could have just had a flashback episode without the magical shenanigans. I liked seeing the younger versions of the characters; Young Lance should have had some hair, IMO.

Liked it too, though I kind of wished the context wasn't all about Cassandra. Eugene was right the first time: she was the one that betrayed them. But Rapunzel doesn't give up that easily.

LMAO that she and Pascal were in the bodies of the young Stabbingtons. And baby Max!

• Love 1

The flashback episode was fun, if only because I love brunette Rapunzel and the Princess Games. Raps and Pascal's number with the bongos and flute was cute. Even King Fred was bopping along!

I get how Rapunzel's neediness could be annoying, but to be fair, anyone stuck in a tower alone for 18 years would be desperate for any girl friends, or friends, period.

So now Cassandra's pissed because she thinks Rapunzel stole some of the moonstone's powers from her. Oh, you mean when she touched the rocks that YOU took her to and neither of you know what they were?! Grr. Cassandra, you used to have a brain. Can't you see the spirit girl is playing you?!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

"Beginnings"

Crap - my recording stopped 3 minutes before the actual end of the episode! 😕 What happened after they started fighting the Iron Lion??

Anyway, I loved the Contest of the Crowns! This is the content I signed up for! Like can we get a few episodes of Rapunzel visiting these other kingdoms and princesses?

(I skipped the present day Cassandra scene.)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Trini said:

Anyway, I loved the Contest of the Crowns! This is the content I signed up for! Like can we get a few episodes of Rapunzel visiting these other kingdoms and princesses?

Seriously, I would love that.  Or at least a spin-off series of Rapunzel teaming up with the other Disney Princesses like in Ralph Breaks the Internet.

• Love 1

"King and Queen of Hearts"

So Fred and Arianna have their memories back, or they're starting to anyway. Although I did love seeing Dorky Fred and Dareianna. Seriously, Arianna was badass. More of that please!

I did like that Varian was trying to cure them. He still owes Rapunzel BIG TIME.

LOL at Trevor's Navy Seals.

• Love 1

The animal episode was cute. Max continues to be the best Disney animated horse ever.

And today's episode with the red fear rocks was good too. Lance's solo was awesome -- I live for James Monroe Iglehart. And call me crazy, but I think I'm starting to warm up to Varian again. 

Now we are back in hiatus until whenever. Sigh.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2019 at 12:03 AM, Trini said:

Crap - my recording stopped 3 minutes before the actual end of the episode!

Seriously, are they using a sundial over there?  I've padded the beginning and ending series recording with extra minutes and I've still lost the start of one ep and the end of two.  I don't get why starting their shows on time is so difficult.

• Love 1

"King and Queen of Hearts"

Aw, so this one was cute and sweet and fun! And I always like seeing more of the King and Queen. And a Eugene/Rapunzel kiss! Also loved a callbacks to the movie. King Trevor needs to come back again so we can have more seal puns! I need more episodes like this.

"Day of the Animals"

Seriously? Again with the episode getting cut short??

Anyway - more adventures with random magical shenanigans. Was this the first episode without any Eugene at all? I feel like it's not; but i know I don't remember every single episode.

"Be Very Afraid"

Wasn't really interested in this one; so I was just going to watch the last 5 minutes. But again the episode was clipped.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Two Annie Awards nominations:

Best Character Animation – TV/Media

Disney Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventure
Episode: Rapunzel and The Great Tree
Disney TV Animation/Disney Channel

Character Animator: Juliane Martin
Character: various

Best Production Design – TV/Media

Disney Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventure
Episode: Rapunzel and The Great Tree
Disney TV Animation/Disney Channel

Production Design: Alan Bodner
Production Design: Brian Woods
Production Design: Steven Nicodemus
Production Design: Laura Price
Production Design: Leonard Robledo

Episode titles (for he rest of the season?(series??)):

---

And the first few episode descriptions:

Pascal's Dragon
Pascal befriends a baby dragon; as the baby grows, Pascal must decide between his new friend and the safety of Corona.

Islands Apart
After receiving a message from Owl, Rapunzel and Eugene travel back to the island of the Lorbs, where they reconnect with the Captain of the Guard.

Cassandra's Revenge
When Rapunzel feels ready to settle down and begin living a normal life, Cassandra returns to Corona with a score to settle.

• Useful 2

"Islands Apart"

Glad Rapunzel's parents have their memories back! And the Captain of the Guard is back too. Poor guy, I can't really blame him for using the island fountain to wish for another chance with Cassandra.

Speaking of which, I am so beyond done with her. She's mad at everyone except for the one person who actually deserves it: GOTHEL. Yeah, the captain maybe should have told her the truth, but it's a lot to tell her that her mother was an evil witch and a kidnapper. And like with Varian, people on the internet have been making a bunch of excuses for her, like all her micragressions have been building up because of her frustration with the class system, being second place to the princess, blah blah blah. I don't care. It's still wrong.

• Love 1

Pascal's Dragon:

Aw! This was a cute and sweet episode! I want more like this. Haven't had a Pascal-centric episode in a while.

Islands Apart:

Well, I did like that they remembered that Cass has a father, and he should have a part in this arc too. But otherwise, I didn't feel the need to go back to that island, and I'm still annoyed at this whole thing with Cass going evil.

I hope there are a few good Rapunzel/Eugene episodes in this last batch.

• Love 1

The fourth incantation was AWESOME. Too bad it released the evil little girl into the physical world. Pretty sure she's that wizard everyone was talking about throughout the show..

I did love everything outside the Cassandra drama: Mrs. Crawley, the surprise party for Eugene, Edmund high-fiving Fred, Eugene getting all bent out of shape over being one year older than he thought, and another proposal! Too bad Cassandra had to go all Maleficent and crash the party.

Glad Rapunzel stood up for herself and reminded her that she was TAKEN AT BIRTH, but Cassandra blaming her for Gothel's death?! Seriously?! Someone needs to remind her that Gothel never loved her. You know who did love her? All the people she's turned her back on.

Oh and thanks show for giving Cassandra the Iron Throne out of the black rocks and reigniting my GOT bitterness.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

There's another show I'm watching that's also doing a 'friends-to-enemies' arc, and they're both just similarly irritating. The Former Friend is being the worst, while Our Hero is being way nicer and forgiving than would a reasonable person. It would be one thing if Cass was clearly possessed or manipulated by Zhan Tiri(??), but at least half of it is just her being irrationally villainous. (The other show has slightly better reasons for turning against the Hero, but there's no ancient sorceress pulling strings.)

In both arcs, I know the writers want the audience to root for them to make up and be friends again, but only one side is doing all the work, while the other keeps going to extremes. The thing is, I'm pretty sure at the end of both these arcs both Former Friends will be redeemed and everyone will be friends again, but it's not going to be fine with me because there's just too much stuff they pulled beforehand.

So yeah, weekly reminder I hate this storyline.

However! I did enjoy Eugene's new birthday, and Rapunzel throwing a party for him. And they were going to propose to each other - awww! LOL at Eugene and Lance fist bumping at never being convicted; and at Lance in general. Yay! at Jeremy Jordan singing again.

-----

Is it confirmed somewhere that this is the last season? I can almost never find news on this show. (Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?) This half season feels like a burnoff. It's weird that they're airing this without commercials, right?

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

I agree @Trini Rapunzel is being way too nice where Cassandra is concerned. She was too nice with Varian too, but at least Varian owned up to his crap and made proper amends. 

Though I do kind of wish that MoonCassandra was a little meaner with him as her hostage. The last time she saw him he tried to kill her. I guess she's ignoring that the same way she's ignoring all Gothel's evil deeds.

And BTW, Rapunzel didn't push Gothel out the window, she fell out when she was freaking out about how old she was getting with the destruction of the magic hair. While it;s true Pascal tripped her, she also crumbled into dust before she ever hit the ground because SHE WAS THAT OLD. So GFY Cassandra.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

Next few episode synopses:

Feb. 2 - "Race to the Spire"

Rapunzel, Eugene and an old friend, Calliope, race to the Spire in an attempt to stop Cassandra from acquiring a deadly weapon.

(I had to google to see who they were talking about; less 'old friend' more like she was in one (1) episode a while ago.)

Feb. 9 - "A Tale of Two Sisters"

Rapunzel and Cassandra investigate mysterious stories of Gothel's ghost haunting Cass's childhood home.

Feb. 16 - "Flynnpostor"

Eugene must track down and confront a thief who has stolen his former identity, Flynn Rider.

• Love 1

"Race to the Spire"

Yup, the little girl is Zhan Tiri. And now she's controlling Adira, Hector, and Varian's dad. Yikes.

I don't care that Cassandra is being controlled/manipulated. She still made her choice. And they're right, Rapunzel's compassion is a strength AND a weakness. We still love her though.

And Calliope is still annoying AF. 

• Love 1

Eh, this was a lot just to get to the plot point of Zhan Tiri/Cassandra now controlling the Brotherhood - which I totally forgot was a thing. (But I don't really pay attention to the mythology.)

And a lot of 'tell, not show' with Cass supposedly being controlled by Zhan Tiri.

That was pretty much Aladdin's lamp at the Spire, right? I might rewatch to see if there are other Disney easter eggs in those scenes.

The next episode might be the start of Cass' redemption arc; but again, she never should have gone evil in the first place.

• Love 1

I just have two things to say:

Cassandra, seeing Gothel be nice to you ONCE doesn't mean she loved you. That's how abusers work, she pulled the crap on Rapunzel all the time.

Rapunzel, Cassandra LEFT YOU TO DIE. She was more than ready to believe you were lying to her even though you never lied a day in your life. It's time to let go.

At least the Flynnposter episode next week will be a breath of fresh air.

• Love 1

My recording somehow got canceled, and it doesn't look like Disney is rerunning it next week, but it sounds like I missed more of Cass being aggravating. Though I did want see Goethal again.

On 2/10/2020 at 1:30 AM, Trini said:

My recording somehow got canceled, and it doesn't look like Disney is rerunning it next week, but it sounds like I missed more of Cass being aggravating. Though I did want see Goethal again.

Pretty much.  It WAS awesome seeing Gothel again, though.

At this point it really feels like they're turning Rapunzel into a doormat in this storyline.  No matter how awful Cassandra gets, she's still so desperate to keep her as a friend no matter how awful she treats her.  I really wish this episode had finally caused her to snap and unload on Cassandra on how she's sick of her blaming her for everything wrong in her life and how she's turned her back on the only people that loved her.  Maybe that will still happen but my hopes aren't high.

• Love 2
On 2/11/2020 at 12:19 PM, Spartan Girl said:

At this point it really feels like they're turning Rapunzel into a doormat in this storyline.  No matter how awful Cassandra gets, she's still so desperate to keep her as a friend no matter how awful she treats her. 

It's really annoying. Because I know a redemption plot twist (not even a whole arc) is coming, and I already hate it because Cass will be saved by the power of Rapunzel's love - or something like that - but Cass has done nothing but try and hurt her this whole time.

And yeah Disney actually did rerun that episode but I only caught the last couple minutes that were on the front end of the next -- Cass left her to DIE??! But the power of friendship (from one side) will fix everything? I can't wait for this to be over.

----

"Flynnposter" -

Yeah, this was fun, but it was just really weird to have this character nearly exactly like Eugene. They said he was using the 'Flynn Rider' persona, not that he was a doppelganger!

I guess I appreciate the nods to the original movie, though. Is Captain of the Guard going to be Eugene's permanent job now? I'm not sure how I feel about that. But I guess they needed him to have some type of position in the kingdom before he marries Rapunzel; I don't like that the original Captain had to retire, though (and especially because of this ridiculous Cassandra arc).

Once again, the appearances of certain characters are so few and far between that I don't remember what their significance is supposed to be. Not that it matters now, but I have no idea why the Baron looks like that now, and even with a little exposition I don't really remember his beef with Eugene/Flynn.

Edited by Trini
gah! typos!
  • Love 1

(I guess I have lots of feelings about this!)

It would be one thing if they had clearly shown that Cass was being possessed/controlled this whole time, but it been mostly her being mean to Rapunzel (& co.) and power-hungry because... she found out they have the same crappy mother...? What's even her goal, I'm not entirely sure. And it's only *now* that they are showing her being directly manipulated by Zhan Tiri.

They 'light-switched' Cass into being an enemy, and I just know they'll similarly turn her back into a friend at the very end, and I preemptively hate it.

----

In happier thoughts, the finale should end at Rapunzel & Eugene's wedding, right?

• Love 1

Next episode:

Once a Handmaiden...

Feb 23, 2020

Disguised in a magical cloak, Cassandra sneaks into Corona with the intention of making amends with Rapunzel.

Was there any lead up to this, besides a couple of glances of regret??

--------

EQhmzdrUYAIbE7W?format=jpg&name=small

• Love 1

The trap theory would have been better writing.

And yeah Cassandra did grow a brain and realize she was being duped, but eben when she was trying to make "amends" she still refused to see herself as anything but a victim. She never took a good hard look at herself and admitted "After all the stuff I did maybe they're right to be scared of me . I do kind of deserve this." It was still all "I had my reasons, I'm following my destiny". She used everyone jumping to conclusions and Varian and Eugene's Project Obsidian as an excuse to jump right back on the bandwagon, even when RAPUNZEL KEPT DEFENDING HER.

Uggggggh. Its Game of Thrones all over again. But unlike that trashfire, next week's series finale will at least give us Rapunzel and Eugene's wedding. At least it better.

• Love 1

Why is Zhan Tiri even bothering with Cassandra now that she's free?

Anyway, I'm I supposed to buy Cassandra's sudden remorse when she's been acting the opposite for 97% of this entire season?

What exactly does Cassandra think her "destiny" is again?

So many questions I won't get satisfying answers for.

• Love 1

The other show that I've mentioned that is doing a similar storyline just had The Hero decide to stop beating themselves up about Former Friend, and accept that Former Friend might just be a villain. And it looks like Former Friend might actually get the redemption arc and self-reflection like in the part I quoted below. That show has the benefit of a longer season, though. But they still could have done better with Cassandra this season, if their plan is to have her come back to the good side.

On 2/23/2020 at 7:40 AM, Spartan Girl said:

And yeah Cassandra did grow a brain and realize she was being duped, but eben when she was trying to make "amends" she still refused to see herself as anything but a victim. She never took a good hard look at herself and admitted "After all the stuff I did maybe they're right to be scared of me . I do kind of deserve this." ...

• Love 1

Series finale - 90 minute 'episode':

Plus Est En Vous

Mar 1, 2020

Rapunzel and her friends must take Corona back from Cassandra, and finally confront the evil Zhan Tiri.

----

I hope we see Demanitus again, and looking forward to wedding stuff.

• Love 1

Good finale. Not great, but good.

I actually would have liked it if Cassandra had died without Rapunzel using the stones to resurrect her since that might have salvaged this whole uneven villain arc. But she used the stones to bring back everyone else too, so whatever. The whole redemption fell flat, as expected. But at least having her leave the kingdom to find her own way was better than having her stay in the kingdom after everything she did.

There was a lot I did like: the Lost Realm and mutating characters, Eugene forgiving his dad, Lance adopting the kids, and of course the proposal.

WHAT, NO WEDDING?!? BOOO! I mean I know we have the Tangled Ever After special, but still, BOO!!!!

Anyway, this was a fun show while it lasted, even if this season wasn't that great overall. I just wish Disney Plus would give us the old Aladdin series. Or at least release it on BluRay.

• Love 1

Could Varian's Raccoon always turn gigantic like that? At first I thought it was the girl that could turn into a werewolf, but it wasn't.

That guy who hugged Cass at the end, was that her father or somebody else?

I wish I had just watched the last 5 minutes and skipped all the aggravation - which I won't rehash.

I did like that it ended with Rapunzel and Eugene and the proposal; even though I was hoping they'd at least set up the wedding. Trying to find a pet name for Eugene was cute too.

I got my glimpse of Demanitus (and his monkeys!) so there's that.

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

That guy who hugged Cass at the end, was that her father or somebody else?

Yes, that was her father, who looks really different out of uniform.

• Love 1

Three Emmy wins for Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventure:

https://theemmys.tv/winners-from-childrens-lifestyle-animation-ceremony/

Outstanding Original Song in a Children’s, Young Adult or Animated Program

“Waiting in the Wings”
Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventure

Composer
Alan Menken

Lyricist
Glenn Slater

Menken got his EGOT with this!

Outstanding Writing for an Animated Program

Head Writer/Story Editor
Jase Ricci

Writer
Ricky Roxburgh

---

Outstanding Main Title for an Animated Program

Executive Producer/Title Designer
Chris Sonnenburg

Animation Directors
Bryan Deemer, Jezreel Carlos

Illustrator
Claire Keane

• Love 1

More Eugene/Flynn backstory in a new children's book coming out in September: https://books.disney.com/book/lost-legends-the-rise-of-flynn-rider/

Lost Legends: The Rise of Flynn Rider

by: Jen Calonita

Twelve-year-old Eugene Fitzherbert needs a plan. It’s not that he doesn’t love his time in the orphanage that raised him—Miss Clare and the boys are his family. As is his best friend, Arnie, with whom he’s often in cahoots, acting out passages from his favorite Flynnigan Rider books, or pretending they’re Lance Archer, the iconic thief who takes from the rich to give to the poor. But Eugene knows that most orphans his age set off to make their own way, and the orphanage already doesn’t have the means to support them all. Besides, he wants to see the world with Arnie, and maybe, just maybe find his parents someday. So when a traveling circus comes to the kingdom promising a life of adventure, brotherhood, and riches, Eugene jumps at the chance to join them. He even convinces Arnie to come too. But soon it becomes clear that there’s more to this ragtag crew than meets the eye, and they may have a dubious plot in the works. It’ll take new heroes—namely, Flynn Rider and Lance Strongbow, to save the day.

Filled with adventure and fun, the Lost Legends series explores the untold origins of Disney’s most infamous rogue boys.