Type keyword(s) to search

The Quad - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Now Blue Blood is back on line, but that reminds me, isn't Blue Blood a twin? I could've sworn we were introduced to him and his brother in the pilot. If so, wouldn't his brother pledge Sigma as well since it's the family tradition? 

He has a brother, but they aren't twins. I thought his brother was older and is probably already a Sigma.

Speaking of which, can Cedric just join the line at the last minute like that? Seems unfair given how much abuse the other pledges had already taken. I assume that they said they would only take Bryce if Cedric joined too because you could tell Cedric wasn't really feeling it.

I'm not liking the character assassination that they are pulling on Eva. Now she's a drug addict? Why? Where did the doctor/lover come from? That storyline is out of the blue.

I didn't miss Noni until Sheenieb mentioned her above. They could easily drop that character and her story.

I agree with everyone saying there are too many storylines. TBH, all I care about are BoJohn, Tiesha, and the Coach.

Did Coach pay back his wife's bookie in the last episode? I can't even remember.

The plot with the finances is frustrating. No one is open to any solutions. The board doesn't want to sell property. The students don't want to merge or cut programs because of "heritage." I get it, but that's emotions talking. The reality is that the school is broke. Do they want the school to go downhill and eventually close, or do they want to save it (and their jobs)?  It's time to face facts.

Edited by mrsbagnet
comments on the finances
  • Love 2

I agree with a lot of what has already been said. I believe the strongest characters and performances are Eva, the coach, BoJohn, and Cecil. The premise of the show is interesting and it keeps me engaged but the writing leaves a lot to be desired. I couldn't even remember who Miles was until this episode. Was he the one dating Sydney too? I'm glad that blue blood was able to get back on line, and I was surprised to see Cedric there. I also do not miss Noni. She can stay away. I'm obsessed with Cecil though. Give him cancer, cure him, now he has a son. There's just too much. I do think that they are raking Eva through the coals though, giving her a complicated backstory with a huge task in saving the school. I get that they are trying to make the character complex and dynamic but I think its a bit too far. Everyone is jumping on Eva but they offer no solutions themselves. If Whitley and Pettiway could do it, it would have been done. Why hire a person just to watch them suffer and offer no support? It's a bit frustrating. 

• Love 2

Noni stays up in other people's business. SMH.

Good to see Debbie Morgan!

I liked the Eva and Sydney stuff at the end of the ep. That was a good scene.

Tonight's ep had decent pacing overall finally and I liked that they took the spotlight off of Eva's 388286674650118 storylines to fluff out some of the other stories... which brings me to my main gripe: why did BoJohn and Tiesha's relationship take place totally offscreen? When did it even start? Yea, it was a secret from Junior but they should've let viewers in on it. Their chemistry/flirtation was one of the things I really enjoy on the show and was looking forward to them getting together onscreen. Meanwhile the show has had them smashing for who knows how long. I am salty that I have seen Cedric sex up a baker's dozen of women (not quite that many but you know what I mean) yet BoJohn & Tiesha have had a relationship going on offscreen. I feel robbed by that, tbh. Junior yelling their business on the bus had me howling but I remain feeling robbed otherwise. When BoJohn and Tiesha had that short talk about her having conflicted feelings with him being white, I bitterly wondered why we couldn't have some longer variation of that scene last week - along with actually seeing them get together from jump - instead of Cecil's surprise son and those lounge/music scenes.

The promo for next week seemed focused on Noni and Cecil as well as Eva and Cedric. Meh on the first two characters. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Tonight's ep had decent pacing overall finally and I liked that they took the spotlight off of Eva's 388286674650118 storylines to fluff out some of the other stories... which brings me to my main gripe: why did BoJohn and Tiesha's relationship take place totally offscreen? When did it even start? Yea, it was a secret from Junior but they should've let viewers in on it. Their chemistry/flirtation was one of the things I really enjoy on the show and was looking forward to them getting together onscreen. Meanwhile the show has had them smashing for who knows how long. I am salty that I have seen Cedric sex up a baker's dozen of women (not quite that many but you know what I mean) yet BoJohn & Tiesha have had a relationship going on offscreen. I feel robbed by that, tbh

I'm not happy about this either. I was waiting to see them together and this is what we get? We have seen so many hook-ups on this show (Cedric, Eva, Cecil and his prostitute), yet when a couple has an actual relationship (they are friends! they actually talk to each other!), we get to see none of it? That's BS.

That being said, I think it's right for BoJohn and Tiesha to break up if she can't handle being in an interracial relationship. There's no point to wasting his time.

This show is trying too hard to be scandalous. The plots are all variations of anger, desperate situations, or screwing.

I was happy to see Debbie Morgan, too.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

That being said, I think it's right for BoJohn and Tiesha to break up if she can't handle being in an interracial relationship. There's no point to wasting his time.

True but it would've been nice to see the relationship play out before the break up; to see the hook-ups, the disagreements over race, the conflicted feelings build up to the whiplash reveal. Unless it's maybe not over between them and it's Tiesha going offscreen to think about her feelings? Who knows with this show, though. I just wonder who thought it was a good idea to play this storyline mostly offscreen. Like we've no clue how long it's even been going on. When BoJohn acted a fool at the party, I knew he was jealous but I thought it was due to him obviously liking Tiesha. That they were actually secretly together at the time but the show couldn't bother to let the audience know is a huge fail. Also, as a side note... BoJohn acted messy at the party but IMO Tiesha could be a little more sympathetic to the fact that he had the shit beat out of him and is obviously suffering physically. 

11 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

This show is trying too hard to be scandalous. The plots are all variations of anger, desperate situations, or screwing.

It is definitely trying to be DRAMATIC but it's not written or paced that well so most of the story climaxes fall short or fall WTF or just don't have payoff. The show has a tendency to miss emotional beats in stories while it races through plots. I feel like last night's ep was one of the stronger eps in the series overall where things seemed to actually flow well in the episode (other than my irritation at the offscreen secret relationship nobody knew about that was well acted once we found out). I watched NCIS New Orleans right before catching the 11p showing of this and it also suffers from pacing issues but between the two shows, The Quad was more put together last night, which shocked me some. More of that, please! I thought the protest worked, the bus scenes added some emotional and character flavor, and Eva & Debbie Morgan's scenes worked on their own & in relation to the protest. The only time I really rolled my eyes was Noni being messy again but that was more at the character than the ep flow/story. 

If there is a S3, this show has got to find a writer who can help map out the plot points for story pacing. Cut some folks too to keep the arcs tighter. I've a feeling as much as I enjoyed the most recent ep, the preview for next week has me thinking it'll be back to meh

Edited by Chick2Chic
clarification
  • Love 4
(edited)

Tonight's ep had decent pacing overall finally and I liked that they took the spotlight off of Eva's 388286674650118 storylines to fluff out some of the other stories... which brings me to my main gripe: why did BoJohn and Tiesha's relationship take place totally offscreen? When did it even start? Yea, it was a secret from Junior but they should've let viewers in on it. Their chemistry/flirtation was one of the things I really enjoy on the show and was looking forward to them getting together onscreen. Meanwhile the show has had them smashing for who knows how long. I am salty that I have seen Cedric sex up a baker's dozen of women (not quite that many but you know what I mean) yet BoJohn & Tiesha have had a relationship going on offscreen. I feel robbed by that, tbh. Junior yelling their business on the bus had me howling but I remain feeling robbed otherwise. When BoJohn and Tiesha had that short talk about her having conflicted feelings with him being white, I bitterly wondered why we couldn't have some longer variation of that scene last week - along with actually seeing them get together from jump - instead of Cecil's surprise son and those lounge/music scenes.

I appreciated the focus on the merger. And yes, it's always a pleasure to see Debbi Morgan. There needs to be a long, overdue dialogue between Eva and the students about why this merger has to happen. It's unfortunate, but the school has no money! It's either that or they'll all end up transferring somewhere else because GAMU will close.

BoJohn and Tiesha's offscreen relationship annoyed me as well. They did the something similar with Cedric and Bronwyn. They just met and by the end of the episode, they're sleeping together. There was no build up at all. Bo and Tiesha's example is even worse because the foundation was set. Also, why is she so mad at him? I don't even remember why she's salty. 

I remember him getting into a fight with the guy at the party, but I thought it was because party guy was hassling Tiesha and she wasn't interested. BoJohn did the most, but I was confused when Tiesha said BoJohn turned his anger on her. 

I know nothing about the Greek world, but I thought when you introduced pledges that the process was over. Serves me right for using Stomp the Yard as a source. Unrelated, Cedric reminds me of a taller Columbus Short. 

Edited by Sheenieb
1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

There was no build up at all. Bo and Tiesha's example is even worse because the foundation was set. Also, why is she so mad at him? I don't even remember why she's salty. 

I somewhat get why Tiesha is upset but she's too angry about what happened, IMO. Like she's at an 11 about the party fight when she should be at a 5 regarding her anger level (and especially considering the guy BoJohn was pissed at while drunk later grabbed some buddies to beat the shit out of him in an ambush). To me, Tiesha should've softened somewhat seeing as to how he's was assaulted but she's still over-salty about him 'embarrassing her.' Had TPTB actually shown their relationship onscreen, this would have played out better than it did with us getting crumbs at the end. I don't remember BoJohn really turning his anger on her. IIRC he may have said something snarky to her, which if they were actually secretly together and he thought she was being outrageously flirty with another guy in front of him would make sense for him to do.  I remember I wondered why she was being extra friendly with the football recruit guy at the party then getting mad at BoJohn cause that one clown kept being a jerk to him & BoJohn was starting to get pissed at that guy being rude to him from jump (remember how BoJohn went to shake his hand when they met and he left him hanging?)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

To me, Tiesha should've softened somewhat seeing as to how he's was assaulted but she's still over-salty about him 'embarrassing her.' Had TPTB actually shown their relationship onscreen, this would have played out better than it did with us getting crumbs at the end. I don't remember BoJohn really turning his anger on her. IIRC he may have said something snarky to her, which if they were actually secretly together and he thought she was being outrageously flirty with another guy in front of him would make sense for him to do.

She might be pissed because his overreaction to her "flirting" could expose the nature of their relationship. She wanted to keep their relationship secret, but his jealousy would definitely leave people wondering why he cared so much. Still wrong on her part, but fear of exposure could explain her anger. I am hoping that she comes around and they stay together.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

Still wrong on her part, but fear of exposure could explain her anger.

I get that she's upset. I just think she's too angry all things considered. Like she's acted like he cheated on her or something on that level. And after he got the shit beat out of him, she still was cold to him. It's too much anger even if he did overreact at the party. And it's not like it gave anything away cause no one seemed none the wiser or suspected they were secretly together. To which, I have to wonder how no one knew cause I know when I lived in the dorms, those walls were paper thin. I guess Bo and Tiesha got creative, but still... too much tell, not enough show with this particular storyline which is really too bad IMO. I also hope their whatever is not over but I think even if TPTB show viewers going forward the BoJohn and Tiesha relationship drama, I'll always be a bit miffed at the bad choices of TPTB for the secret relationship stuff. 

Random question but where did Crazy Jason go? Did he fall in a plot hole somewhere?

On 3/7/2018 at 5:04 PM, mrsbagnet said:

She might be pissed because his overreaction to her "flirting" could expose the nature of their relationship. She wanted to keep their relationship secret, but his jealousy would definitely leave people wondering why he cared so much. Still wrong on her part, but fear of exposure could explain her anger. I am hoping that she comes around and they stay together.

This is a great point. The message would have been strongly delivered had they allowed their secret relationship to play out on TV. It seems as if one of their main goals is to focus on tough subjects like police brutality, preserving HBCUs, rape on campus, and they even make mentions in the last episode to the ALT right students attacking the QB and Sydney's roommate for being there, but they totally sweep interracial relationships under the rug. Meanwhile, Cedric is banging everything that moves. I think It was a missed opportunity on their part. 

I have not missed Noni in the last couple of episodes, and am not happy that she is back. I hate that Eboni is still friends with her after everything that has happened. I am here for Cedric and Eboni though. 

I want to see what happens with Jasmine guy's character and Eva now that we know she turns on her hard. 

The positive about 2x06 shows that someone in charge has realized the show paces much better when an ep focuses on 2-3 storylines only instead of the entire kitchen sink.

That said... meh. I think last night featured all of the storylines I'm most indifferent to. I like Eva's overall s/l about trying to save the school and the backstabbing of the merger added some good drama but I absolutely loathe that she has turned into a pill popper so quickly. I guess instead of giving her a reliable friend/boyfriend to confide in or a good shrink, viewers got this instead. On one level, I get how someone with her personality could end up stealing prescription pages to get some pills for her panic attacks but I haven't enjoyed her journey there.

Glad the frat initiation story is over - hey Van Jones, tho! - cause I wasn't really interested in it after 2 eps. Wasn't a terrible storyline but I just didn't care and IMO it ate up more screentime than it needed to. 

Noni... no thanks. I do like Ebonie telling her to wake up about Cecil. 

Cecil... I like the actor, I just don't care about any of his storylines this season. 

Maybe next week will be better. I saw Sydney returns in the preview so I am guessing the crazy!Jason story will feature. Ebonie/Cedric/Bronwyn was also in the preview. Now if TPTB would show some onscreen love to the Tiesha and BoJohn storyline with a side of Junior, I'd be a happy camper. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chick2Chic said:

Noni... no thanks. I do like Ebonie telling her to wake up about Cecil. 

I rolled my eyes at Noni's righteous indignation towards Cecil. She wanted to get back into his good graces after she stole his music. Let's not pretend that she didn't have a hand in this predicament. 

Ebonie has a legit beef with Cecil and the Mountain cats, not Noni. 

• Love 2

What was the point of showing the one guy quit the frat? If he ha just stayed for a bit longer then he would have crossed. Looks like Cedric was into the mission of the frat after he crossed. I like the development of his character. Being forced to go to GAMU because of his mother, but while he is there doing great things, getting involved in the campus community and emerging as a leader. Hopefully young viewers are inspired by that. 

Go away Noni. Just go away. 

Are we going to find out that Browyn can sing next week? This I didn't know. 

I hope the coach isn't dead. I'm still waiting for him to divorce his wife and declare his love for Eva. 

• Love 2
On 3/17/2018 at 7:47 PM, LaurelleJ said:

Are we going to find out that Browyn can sing next week? This I didn't know. 

Seems so. When I saw that in the previews, I rolled my eyes. Why are you being messy, Cedric? You have your ex-girlfriend that you broke up with up with out of nowhere singing on a track that you put together with your current girlfriend. How is everyone ok with this?

On 3/17/2018 at 7:47 PM, LaurelleJ said:

I hope the coach isn't dead. I'm still waiting for him to divorce his wife and declare his love for Eva. 

I'm sure he's still alive. No way are they going to kill him off before he and Eva get it going. Speaking of the coach, I couldn't believe his wife was still listed on their daughters' college plan account. Of course, she was going to clean it out.

• Love 1

Why have they turned Cedric into such a jerk? He was such a likeable, sympathetic character last season. Now he's a lying ho. I'm really surprised Bronwyn let him get away with not using condoms.

Ebony is one of my favorite characters now. She's mature and direct, and she looks out for herself.

• Love 1

I really don't care about Cecil, Noni and the band drama and I think they've dragged this out too far.  It would help if Noni got off my tv screen and just transferred to another college or something.  Just go away.

Eva is just so self-destructive, I don't know how she's gotten as far in her career as she has.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Why have they turned Cedric into such a jerk? He was such a likeable, sympathetic character last season. Now he's a lying ho. I'm really surprised Bronwyn let him get away with not using condoms.

Yeah, he was peak fuckboy. For a predictable show, I must admit that they got me with the pregnancy reveal. And I was surprised by that as well, but then again, I suspect that Cedric is the only guy she's been with, so she fell for his foolishness. 

I was proud that Eboni told Cedric to GTFO. 

The band sounded great, but it's my least favorite storyline as well. 

• Love 1

All I got out of the most recent ep is that Cedric was beautifully dumped by both Bronwyn and Ebonie plus he managed to knock up Bronwyn sometime during their whatever it was between them.  Other than that, my attention wandered. The band stuff is uninteresting to me and the scenes seem to drag on. Oh, and coach lives as does his terrible wife (or is it ex? I can't recall...)

Per the next ep promo, at least BoJohn is back and Sydney's involvement with Jason will likely come to a head. And Whitley Gilbert is back. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Oh, and coach lives as does his terrible wife (or is it ex? I can't recall...)

I thought they were divorced, but now they are talking like they are just separated? I hope he doesn't get back with her. She'll just bring him down.

• Love 2

I don't like the Cedric is a baby daddy angle. Why can't they let him be great? With that said, I am comparing this show to my own experience at my HBCU, and my dorm neighbor was pregnant before the end of the first semester and left school, and my roommate got pregnant the second semester and left school. Wonder where this storyline is going. 

For the love of everything, keep Noni off my screen. I hate hate hate that she and Eboni are still friends. 

I hope the coach has no more troubles. Let's get his romance with Eva going. 

Glad that Bo will be back next week. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LaurelleJ said:

For the love of everything, keep Noni off my screen. I hate hate hate that she and Eboni are still friends. 

I think the writers and/or showrunners have overestimated how much viewers would like Noni and Cecil. I'd rather not see either of them ever again.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

I think the writers and/or showrunners have overestimated how much viewers would like Noni and Cecil. I'd rather not see either of them ever again.

Agree. I liked the first part of the band story, but its over now. I still like Cecil but I think that his role could be stronger. Noni can exit stage left. 

• Love 3

OMG... SHUT UP. NONI! She stays up in other people's business. Glad Cedric showed her the door but eegads I wish he'd chewed her out a lot more on her way out of his room. She needs to get her own life and to stop making other folk's dramas her raison d'etre. If there's a S3 of this show, I need her killed off in between seasons 2 and 3. I just can't with her. 

Poor BoJohn. He's spiraling from pressure and injuries. There's some sort of emotional trauma going on with the beatdown physical injuries and him calling his toxic father is going to make things freefall. Glad to see Coach show up and be there for him (and call the assistant coaches to watch over him when he had to leave).  I liked seeing Tiesha trying to talk with him about it even if he wasn't hearing it. I think her feelings for him are stronger than she wants them to be but they're still at that impasse because of her being uncomfortable about them being an interracial couple publicly. 

Myles also deserves better than what a crush on Sydney brings. I remain hit or miss with Sydney cause her attitude is incredibly tiresome. That said, she deserves better than Jason and his crazy ass vengeance due to Eva turning down his proposal. Also, I'm going to need Eva to stop beating around the bush and just tell Sydney about Jason's real deal. Eva side stepping and being vague to Sydney about why she's so upset other than walking in on Jason & Sydney dirtying up the kitchen makes it all worse.  

• Love 3

I need the wardrobe staff to explain why they keep putting Jazz Raycole in clothes that are too small for her. I know Sydney is supposed to be 19, but the actress has an adult body and her wardrobe doesn't suit her. As much money as the Fletchers have, Sydney should have clothes that are stylish and fit well, as well as being as revealing as she likes.

10 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Also, I'm going to need Eva to stop beating around the bush and just tell Sydney about Jason's real deal. Eva side stepping and being vague to Sydney about why she's so upset other than walking in on Jason & Sydney dirtying up the kitchen makes it all worse.  

Right? That was so annoying.

The Dean of Students and his wife were too much. "All Black children are our responsibility!" Take it down a notch, ma'am.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 3

My daughter went to North Carolina A and T.  There were white students there. There was a show (60 minutes or something like that ) that talked about white students going to HBCU for grad school to save money. Also I've looked on line and the sports teams at HBCU's that aren't usually played by a lot if African Americans have Whites on their teams. Just Google some random HBCU and look at their golf, tennis and softball teams

The beginnings of the episodes are becoming more and more bizarre. 

No more Noni! 

I fell in love with the coach this episode when he immediately came to Eva's defense when they got home and showed Sydney and Jason. 

I wonder if Cecil and Dean Pettiway will cut Eva more slack now that she is the one who uncovered how the school was losing money. 

I finally watched this and I can't say it enough:  Go away Noni!  Surely the writers have read enough comments on boards like this to realize that she is not a popular character.  Sneaky little rat.

Poor BoJohn, I hope he can resolve his issues and he and Tiesha can make things work.

I do not care at all about the Sydney/Jason/Eva mess.  Also don't care about Cedric and Bronwyn and the baby mama drama.  I did love that the mom just hung up on him though.  She might call him back later but at that point, she just couldn't deal and I certainly understand that. 

It was nice to see Sheryl Lee Ralph as the wife of the Dean of Students but I don't need or want to see any more of her, especially after that "All black children are our responsibility" statement.  It looks like she's headed to the hospital in the next episode so maybe that's the last we'll see of her. 

The coach looked hot in that suit.  I still hope that he and Eva are end game.   

• Love 2
(edited)

The S2 finale was alright. I liked the Coach and BoJohn scenes a lot. Wish there had been more of that throughout the season.

Glad Eva finally spit out the truth to Sydney about Jason but uuuuuugh Sydney is just such a pain in the ass. Eva should've smacked her harder for calling her a whore IMO.

Sheryl Lee Ralph didn't last long. 

Cedric's mom has me side-eyeing her. 

Wonder if there will be a S3? 

Edited by Chick2Chic
because alright isn't spelled "already"
  • Love 1

Yeah, I wish Eva had smacked her so hard her eyes rolled around in her head.  What a spoiled, whiny brat. 

I expected Sheryl Lee Ralph to be in the hospital, but not to die.  I felt bad for the husband crying at the table.

I was surprised at the end when the coach asked for a referral for a psychologist.  I hope he and BoJohn get better.  They've become two of my favorites on this show.

I'm conflicted about Cedric's mom.  I can understand her not wanting her son to be a father right now.  However, she shouldn't be lying and interfering with whatever decision Cedric and Bronwyn will make.  

I suspect there'll be a season 3 because BET does need programming, and that new lawyer show doesn't look that great.  Plus, they're losing Being Mary Jane.

• Love 2

Here's hoping if there's a S3 that they trim some of the characters cause the show is cleaner and coherent when it focuses on 2-3 storylines in an ep. 

If we get a S3, I'd want Noni gone, less focus on the music/band stuff, and more Coach & BoJohn (as well as more Tiesha and Junior!). I like Eva but they need to stop giving her so many bad coping skills. Sydney I'm on the fence with cause the character is so hot and cold. Sydney annoys me most of the time she's onscreen but still not nearly as much as Noni does.

• Love 2

A little off topic. But it bugs me as a sports fan. There is NO WAY that high school QB would entertain GAMU is he was such a hot commodity.   His aunt and uncle should be on board with his loud mouth Lavar Ballish dad with him going to a big school.  And EVA can get off his jockstrap now that GAMU has merged and isn't in financial distress 

On 4/4/2018 at 4:20 PM, Ohwell said:

So I'm confused now and I wasn't paying full attention at the end.  Is Eva actually fired?  If so, I'd expect her to fight it.

If they fire her, and I am sure they did, they have to pay her out of her contract most likely. Probably a couple hundred thousand since she’s only been there a short time - less than a year? That’s probably one of the reasons she wouldn’t resign. Plus now she has grounds to sue. I’ve seen this play out a couple of times in higher ed, at an HBCU. Yes, the same one.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Can there be a spinoff with Coach Hardwick, BoJohn, Tiesha, Junior, Madison and Eboni? I would watch that show.

That would be great, but the spinoff would need better writers.

• Love 2

I'm disappointed that this series was cancelled. I had high hopes for it but I think it missed the mark by trying to do so much. Having graduated from an HBCU myself, I saw potential in this series to be a series that let people know how great it is to go to an HBCU, as I didn't even know until I got there. Hopefully someone else sees the potential and the value in having a well done series, and they will attempt it again. Unfortunately BET was the network for it, so if they couldn't make it work, I don't know. Thanks BET. I'll never forgive them for ruining The Game. 

• Love 2