Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Chapter 6

Bort

If the show had started out with David captured by D3 and then rescued and analyzed at Summerland, I could see doing an episode in which all the mutant powers were rationalized as psychiatric disorders. But with those initial hours spent at the hospital, this seemed repetitive and not revealing anything of value for the fight in the real world.

Syd is the least vulnerable to being fooled by the manipulations of her psychic reality. Is that because of her temporary switch with David?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Oliver to the rescue! 

Well, with Lenny's little speech about David's father, the show pretty much removed any ambiguity about who/what she is.

Can you elaborate? 

But with those initial hours spent at the hospital, this seemed repetitive and not revealing anything of value for the fight in the real world.

I agree with that. I didn't like the episode. It felt super boring, and sometimes I honestly think it's weird just for the sake of being weird.

Thank god for Jean Smart, who is always endlessly watchable.

• Love 8

The random bit where "Lenny" just starts dancing to "Feeling Good", was probably the most random dance number since.... well, the Bollywood one from the pilot.  Credit to Aubrey Plaza's commitment.  She's always been, well, eccentric, in most of her roles, but as Lenny, the show is just unleashing her in all of her psychotic glory, and I heartily approve!

Overall though, I enjoyed parts of it, but it drag quite a bit as well, and a bit of a step back compared to the past few episodes.  I guess this was this show's version of a bottle episode, but there wasn't much suspense since it is obvious that the group (or most of them), is going to snap out of it eventually, and it's just waiting for it to finally happen.  I did find it interesting that Syd seemed to be figuring it out before everyone else (until Lenny put her to sleep.)  Was it because she was briefly David when they switched bodies?

I totally forgot about how The Eye was shooting at David before all of this happened, and Syd jumped in front of him.  So, it seems like Oliver (?) is now trying to wake everyone up and prevent this?  Interesting that he went to Carey first, and now Carey has gone to Syd.  And what is going on with him bringing Melanie to the shoot-out?  Does he want her to stop it, somehow?

Glad to get a little background on Ptonomy and his childhood. 

Lenny brings up David's father.  Yeah, I think it is going to be who he was in the comics.  Which makes me wonder if 

Spoiler

they will be able to make Patrick Stewart reconsider retiring as Xavier.  Or maybe they can also convince James McAvoy!

Next week looks utterly insane.  Although, that pretty much describes every episode of this show!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Cardie said:

Syd is the least vulnerable to being fooled by the manipulations of her psychic reality. Is that because of her temporary switch with David?

It might be because she's the most isolated and disinclined to trust others. Of course by my reckoning "Lenny" is trying to manipulate the minds of at least two lesser telepaths in addition to David, with the Eye and Carey/Kerry also having some psychic components to their powers (albeit only with each other in the latter case). It may just be that it's too much of a juggling act all at once, and Syd is where its attention is least focused.

• Love 2

Ooh, that was fun.
Apparently B/Lenny (Shadow King) tried to keep "everybody happy" (something akin to the Matrix) but overall, she doesn't need them?

Syd is the least affected because, I think, she has the least amount of trauma from all of them, so, it's hard to push her in the deep end that easy. I wondered about the music though and how it put her to sleep/coma/whatever.

Also, I predict somebody will step in front of these bullets sooner than later.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Eneya said:

Apparently B/Lenny (Shadow King) tried to keep "everybody happy" (something akin to the Matrix) but overall, she doesn't need them?

I'm not sure but I think it was about keeping David happy? I think Lenny was creating a happy place for David's mind so she could basically use his body. Once it started to fall apart she just used blunt force to trap his mind instead. 

• Love 4

This was my fave episode so far. I don't know if it advanced anything, explained anything or was just weird, but I found it magickal and beautiful, like a Charlie Kaufman meets Micheal Gondry film on the small screen. I loved it.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The random bit where "Lenny" just starts dancing to "Feeling Good", was probably the most random dance number

I liked it more than I thought I would. It was a nice vehicle to show that s/he has been with David this whole time.  Granted she just straight out says that to him ("I've been with you since the womb") but it was a nice visual aid. 

As far as David's father goes I loved that B/Lenny is trying to make him mad but also reveals that he gave David up to protect him. 

And if they cast his father 

Spoiler

I hope to the Dude that Patrick Stewart would do it.  Even a cameo.  James McAvoy is too young, although they could make that work if they do a flashback to when he gave him up.  Just don't cast someone else. 

Edited by HotRats2112
  • Love 6

I thought this was a stellar episode. I always wait to watch the episode without commercials, really enhances the experience and keeps me in the show's headspace throughout. 

Aubrey Plaza is a queen! In the beginning of the series I thought she was leaning a little too hard into the role, but now she is killing it and getting to do ALL the things. Her dance break through David's memories gave me life.

I think Syd's ability to see through the charade has to do with swapping bodies with David, and that she's one of the least damaged. The most confusing part of Syd's story this week is that she thinks she can't touch people, but David says her diagnosis has to do with delusional thinking, not physical contact. But then why did he bring a pillow to Syd's bed to put between them? And what's the deal with David's sister? Has the YED invaded her mind, controlling her, or is the person we see in the hospital just another face the YED wears?

Female Kerry continues to be the weakest link in the acting chain on this show. She just can't carry a scene. From the moment we heard her backstory about being a Native American girl I felt the show was trying to say, "Look, diversity casting!" but casting a bad actress is never a good move, diversity or not.

And guys! The Eye is a cannibal, right? His scene with Kerry combined with Melanie's comments in an earlier episode about him liking to hurt people paint a pretty clear picture.

• Love 5

Yes some stuff happened and I definitely enjoyed the fun. But there are only two really important things I took away from this episode:
-Cary & Kerry's goodnight fist bump was adorable
-I want pie

• Love 7

I did not have that reaction to seeing someone hork up a mouthful of pie crawling with bugs.

Interesting that we've been somewhat uncertain what's real or not all along, and now this entire episode takes place either within David's mind or on the Astral Plane (with a peek at the physical world via Melanie). One thing about that bit that confused me, it showed nameless telekinetic guy as the one firing the machine gun. But wasn't that the Eye masquerading as him last episode? Or do I have things mixed up?

Speaking of horking, while she wasn't being very nice at all to David, him reacting to his "sister"(?) with starting to gag, "stop it", stomping off was a funny, cute little brother thing to do...you know, in a warped way.

Next episode's promo looks good (and amusing).  This episode - eh. It dragged a bit.  But then it's not the first show to have people stuck in a false reality with the viewer waiting for the character(s) to figure it out.  At least it was just one episode for them to start figuring things out.

So Ptonomy was five when 99 Luft Balloons came out in Germany (in 1983).  Dishwasher, cutlery basket...how did his mom die?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, indeed said:

So Ptonomy was five when 99 Luft Balloons came out in Germany (in 1983).  Dishwasher, cutlery basket...how did his mom die?

Though they're never explicit, I figured it was an aneurysm or something like that.

• Love 2

At this point, most of the confusion of the earlier episodes has disappeared, and we know pretty much who is real, who isn't, etc.

I never read the Legion comic books, so I'm curious as to where all this is going.  Are they going to rid David of the parasite?  That seems to be what this season's story arc is about, but if they get rid of Shadow King, this show will have an entirely different feel to it.  Or maybe he and David will learn to co-exist somehow, or maybe David will gain control of it.  They have to be headed toward some sort of resolution of some kind, and how they do that is going to have a big effect on future seasons.

Agree that Aubrey Plaza is killing it.  Although this could be her only season on the show?

• Love 3

Aubrey Plaza, series MVP.

Favorite Episode so far... as said previously, any ambiguity over David's father, or who the big bad is... wiped away.

I can't wait to see how/if they show/reveal David's father...

Was loving the horror/slasher vibe of the Eye/Kerry plot.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
Edits and Stuff, Yo!
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

Favorite Episode so far... as said previously, any ambiguity over David's father, or who the big bad is... wiped away.

I know who David's father is supposed to be (although I guess we're not supposed to mention it here).  I don't recall any comments by Lenny in the episode that gave any firm indication of his identity, however.  Even though several posters have eluded to this.  Maybe I missed it.  What did he say?  All I remember is him telling David that his father tried to protect him from him.  Was that the big reveal?

It's a little sad when you think about it that David felt happiest and most content being in a mental hospital.  Talk about being institutionalized.

By the way, this is a minor quibble, but mental patients are discouraged from having relationships within such institutions.  They are supposed to be focused on their treatment.

• Love 4

AP is... fun. There is something in her that is just really fun and creepy. I smell prizes for her.

In regards to the sister, well, IDK, everyone else is there and they act more or less their usual identities. Only she is deviating that much. If that is not her, then where is she? If that is her... ??? Is she being controlled by the S/B/Lenny? (this is getting ridiculous) Why only her? Her treatment of him is actually making him fight and breaks his peace, making him want to leave and question what is happening to them. Counterproductive, if you ask me.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Eneya said:

AP is... fun.

I feel like you meant to type "AP is... fun?" :D

12 minutes ago, Eneya said:

There is something in her that is just really fun and creepy.

She does this thing where her eyes remain dead but she smiles at someone. It's creepy as fuck.

• Love 9
On 3/16/2017 at 2:05 AM, vb68 said:

I agree with that. I didn't like the episode. It felt super boring, and sometimes I honestly think it's weird just for the sake of being weird.

This was me.  I have a friend who checked out after ep 3 because he felt it was just not going anywhere, and after last week's episode I was strongly encouraging him to jump back in.  Then...this happened.  Ugh.

On 3/16/2017 at 7:08 AM, luna1122 said:

This was my fave episode so far. I don't know if it advanced anything, explained anything or was just weird, but I found it magickal and beautiful, like a Charlie Kaufman meets Micheal Gondry film on the small screen. I loved it.

Well, those two paired up for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I love that movie (and all of Kaufman's movies), but I wasn't feeling it here.  Everyone at the AV Club (the reviewer, and almost all the commenters) agrees with you though: they are going apeshit over this episode.  I'm more in line with what Alan Sepinwall said, after loving the first five episodes: 

But even with the usually impressive array of visual tricks...there wasn’t enough there to justify devoting a whole hour to our heroes being trapped in this place.

I was fine with it for a while.  But they should have wrapped it up in about 15 minutes and gotten on with things.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

Well, those two paired up for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I love that movie (and all of Kaufman's movies), but I wasn't feeling it here.  Everyone at the AV Club (the reviewer, and almost all the commenters) agrees with you though: they are going apeshit over this episode

That's what I was alluding to, and exactly what it reminded me (it's also one of my very fave movies). It also reminded me of Gondry's The Science of Sleep. I get why some find this just a puff/bottle episode, more style than substance. Sometimes that bugs me when I'm watching a show, sometimes not. In this case, I was just riveted. Entranced, even, it was all so audacious and beautiful. But I see why some just find it a distraction.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Eneya said:

In regards to the sister, well, IDK, everyone else is there and they act more or less their usual identities. Only she is deviating that much. If that is not her, then where is she? If that is her... ??? Is she being controlled by the S/B/Lenny? (this is getting ridiculous) Why only her? Her treatment of him is actually making him fight and breaks his peace, making him want to leave and question what is happening to them. Counterproductive, if you ask me.

I wonder if it actually is Amy, and she's behaving like this to make David reject what's going on around him and break free. Presumably as his sister she'd have more insight into his personality and what buttons to push than anyone else (except the Shadow King I guess).

3 hours ago, PatternRec said:

I feel like you meant to type "AP is... fun?" :D

She does this thing where her eyes remain dead but she smiles at someone. It's creepy as fuck.

Her eyes are just like that all the time, but this role turns it into a strength rather than hamstringing her performance. If she can just restrict herself to parts that involve being coldly malevolent under a facade of glee or sultryness, Oscars might be in her future!

• Love 2

This was one of my favorite episodes, as well. Now that we've established (maybe) who is real, and who is not, this episode showed that Shadow King (in all his forms) is in charge of all these people that have chosen to gravitate towards David. I'm not familiar with the comic, so these people's motives for clinging to him, I'm not certain of. I'm sure it will become clear, eventually. It seems that of all these people only Syd and Oliver (maybe Walter, also) have not been 100% controlled by King. What is clear is that for the story to advance to the point that David will actually be able to use his powers in any meaningful way, King the parasite will have to be eliminated, or at the very least, controlled. I think Syd being able to "see behind the curtain" is going to be key here. King being able to hijack David's mind whenever it wants can't be good unless the story's goal is to keep David institutionalized, and I don't think it is. Maybe they'll trap King in Oliver's ice cube.

• Love 2
On 3/15/2017 at 11:07 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Oliver to the rescue! 

Well, with Lenny's little speech about David's father, the show pretty much removed any ambiguity about who/what she is.

Um....

On 3/16/2017 at 4:21 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Lenny brings up David's father.  Yeah, I think it is going to be who he was in the comics.  Which makes me wonder if 

Reveal hidden contents

they will be able to make Patrick Stewart reconsider retiring as Xavier.  Or maybe they can also convince James McAvoy!

Um...

19 hours ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

Aubrey Plaza, series MVP.

Wait, hold up now....

13 hours ago, rmontro said:

I know who David's father is supposed to be (although I guess we're not supposed to mention it here).  I don't recall any comments by Lenny in the episode that gave any firm indication of his identity, however.  Even though several posters have eluded to this.  Maybe I missed it.  What did he say?  All I remember is him telling David that his father tried to protect him from him.  Was that the big reveal?

SERIOUSLY!!!! I guess the ambiguity was wiped away for people familiar with the comic book? I know the X-Men movies and there, David's father was not who yall are alluding to but regardless, I have no idea how what B/Lenny said shed any light at all on the identity of David's father, seriously. This show continues to just be bat shit crazy and I love it for that but honestly, it aint making a whole lot of sense to me (and I am so very very tolerant of shows or movies like this). I just watch it and let it flow into my eyes and rattle around in my brain. I dont expect it to make sense but when I come here and some of yall are talking about "the shadow king", I have no idea what you're talking about. When some of you say "AH! That clears up the identity of his father" when the actual episode never named anyone, never pictured anyone I can't help but wish I was smoking what you're smoking because it's obviously far superior to my KB.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, diebartdie said:

Um....

Um...

Wait, hold up now....

SERIOUSLY!!!! I guess the ambiguity was wiped away for people familiar with the comic book? I know the X-Men movies and there, David's father was not who yall are alluding to but regardless, I have no idea how what B/Lenny said shed any light at all on the identity of David's father, seriously. This show continues to just be bat shit crazy and I love it for that but honestly, it aint making a whole lot of sense to me (and I am so very very tolerant of shows or movies like this). I just watch it and let it flow into my eyes and rattle around in my brain. I dont expect it to make sense but when I come here and some of yall are talking about "the shadow king", I have no idea what you're talking about. When some of you say "AH! That clears up the identity of his father" when the actual episode never named anyone, never pictured anyone I can't help but wish I was smoking what you're smoking because it's obviously far superior to my KB.

Just catch on to about... um... 15 years of comics.
That or check some of the more x-men obsessed forums and their takes on the topic?

I am mostly joking but yeah, this is the issue with fans... we know stuff. And we are not even Layla Miller!

• Love 2

I appreciated that they took their time in this episode. It reminds me of how in anime and manga they aren't afraid to sometimes just spend time presenting landscapes, cloudscapes, water dripping off a leaf, etc.  rather than cram in as much 'action' as possible. I also like that this is one of the few programs where I've been consciously paying attention to the soundtrack.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, diebartdie said:

Um....

Um...

Wait, hold up now....

Going off memory...

David's Father having had met this entity we're all saying is the Shadow King is part of the two's comic history.  The little speech is the extremely condensed version of this history.  Myself, this entity knowing David's Father, plus this entity being this disembodied psychic force/presence stuck in the astral plane is the Shadow King's backstory.  

Legion is a piece of the X-Verse I am not well versed in, so I'm not that aware of any significance between Legion/Shadow King.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
Edits and Stuff, Yo'!
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

Legion is a piece of the X-Verse I am not well versed in, so I'm not that aware of any significance between Legion/Shadow King.

Spoiler

Legion is Professor X's son, and in Legion's second appearance he was possessed by the Shadow King. IIRC Legion was catatonic between these two storylines. Legion was introduced in the X-men not too long before I quit reading comics regularly. 

5 hours ago, Eneya said:

I am mostly joking but yeah, this is the issue with fans... we know stuff. And we are not even Layla Miller!

Start at 2:00 to see the Layla Miller parts :D 

Edited by PatternRec
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, PatternRec said:
  Hide contents

Legion is Professor X's son, and in Legion's second appearance he was possessed by the Shadow King. IIRC Legion was catatonic between these two storylines. Legion was introduced in the X-men not too long before I quit reading comics regularly. 

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  

I was trying to be spoiler free with "David's Father", I think that's the only info I really know about the character, comics wise.

I thought that was great even though I didn't understand it, lol.  Having everyone switching clothes and mannerisms... Jean Smart does a great "Syd".  The significance of David's sister being the meanest of all ... Lenny as the mastermind... the show working out in painstaking detail why Melanie couldn't stop the "shooting"... the "back end", literally, of the folks in the walls... though I wonder, if we are supposed to think Lenny/David and Cary/Kerry are parallel constructs in any way...?  (Aside:  Bill and Amber are very cute together, and must have spent a lot of time together hanging out in order to be so comfortable.)  Good times!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, queenanne said:

the show working out in painstaking detail why Melanie couldn't stop the "shooting"

I was wishing she would at least try to pick up some kind of heavy metal or stone object to use to push the bullets away.

• Love 4

Saw it on DVR today. Made the mistake of laying on the couch. Wound up falling asleep from the lack of dialogue, so I rewatched. The guy playing David can put off the non-verbal cues of having an erection at the worst possible moment. I know, Lenny is basically Someone Else/Something Else, but damn, she was all over David. Also, she can dance. At this point, why not?!? If another character channels Christopher Walken in the video for Fatboy Slim's "Weapon Of Choice," I won't be that surprised.

"I'll touch the bull- . . . no, that's too hot. No, I'll move David and Syd out of the w- . . . damn, they're too heavy to move. How does the Flash move people around in the blink of an eye? This is tough."

While she was busy concentrating on Syd, HeadLenny failed to notice what was going on with Melanie. First, Melanie never really bought into the idea that her ideas about her husband were a delusion and then when she was in the common room watering the planter box little flowers sprang up like magic - showing that she had some small degree of control/influence, even if she wasn't really cognizant of it, over the psychic scenario. No wonder Oliver didn't exactly have a hard time pulling her out.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

While she was busy concentrating on Syd, HeadLenny failed to notice what was going on with Melanie. First, Melanie never really bought into the idea that her ideas about her husband were a delusion and then when she was in the common room watering the planter box little flowers sprang up like magic - showing that she had some small degree of control/influence, even if she wasn't really cognizant of it, over the psychic scenario. No wonder Oliver didn't exactly have a hard time pulling her out.

I like that interpretation of the flowers growing. I had wondered about it but didn't have any ideas. 

• Love 4

What I wonder about is the transformation of Carey & Carey's relationship. They have literally been either physically present or in psychic communication for every single memory either possesses. Redefining that dynamic and convincing them they're two people who met later in life and just clicked really well must have taken a boatload of work on "Lenny's" part—it would have to rewrite every single experience they recall in realtime as the memories are triggered.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

What I wonder about is the transformation of Carey & Carey's relationship. They have literally been either physically present or in psychic communication for every single memory either possesses. Redefining that dynamic and convincing them they're two people who met later in life and just clicked really well must have taken a boatload of work on "Lenny's" part—it would have to rewrite every single experience they recall in realtime as the memories are triggered.

Plus, Kerry never eats in the real world. It must be strange to "experience" it now.

44 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Plus, Kerry never eats in the real world. It must be strange to "experience" it now.

Did she eat or go to the bathroom in the astral plane?

She and Carey were catapulting food into each others' mouths in the cafeteria cherry pie scene.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

Cary's/Kerry's ability is one you don't want to question so much. How does she come out fully clothed? Does she have to bring the clothes in with her or can she generate new clothes on her own? Is there a closet inside of Cary in case she wants more than one outfit? Where was she keeping that spiked club and does it hurt Cary when it's inside of him? Does he shop for her or does she buy her own clothes? If she buys her own, how does someone who doesn't even know what going to the bathroom is know how to pick out such dynamite outfits? Does she have a subscription to Vogue addressed to Inside of Cary, Summerland, Upstate New York, USA, or does she share a post box with him? Is there a full length mirror inside Cary or does she have to come out to use the mirror to pick an outfit, and how bored does Cary get during this process? etc. 

• Love 14

Who would have thought that Audrey Plaza could be so damn creepy? And that she would have so much to do after being offed in the first episode. I think its the way her facial expressions never seem to really match up, like the AP in Davids head isn't really sure what actual human expressions are, and she's having trouble mimicking them. Especially when she smiles. It just looks...wrong. Its really unnerving.

Most of the other people in the mind world seem at least a little like they normally are, but Kerry is completely different. She's skittish and not exactly the badass she is in the real world. It must have taken a lot of power to separate Carey and Kerry from each others brains, considering they share a body/conscious. Also, does Melanie have a power? She works with mutants, she was married to one, but we`ve never seen her display any powers yet. Maybe its something really big that she doesn't like to break out much. Or maybe she's just a non powered person who works with mutants. No idea.

I guess its not technically confirmed who David's father is, but...I'm pretty sure its the person who I think it is. I wonder how that will end up working out?

Spoiler

Considering the ambiguous time period and the surreal nature of the series, you could probably fit it just about anywhere in the X-Men universe, so they could have Patrick Steward as Charles, or James Mcavoy, depending on if either of them will do a cameo. It would be really awesome if one of them would!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Most of the other people in the mind world seem at least a little like they normally are, but Kerry is completely different. She's skittish and not exactly the badass she is in the real world. It must have taken a lot of power to separate Carey and Kerry from each others brains, considering they share a body/conscious.

Given their physical connection she's probably never experienced a situation where Cary just disappeared. 

• Love 1

I think Melanie has some low-level telepathic power. She's initiated mindspeech with David, she's involved in Ptonomy's memory work inside Summerland residents' minds, and as Terrafamilia pointed out she's been able to manipulate the surroundings of their mindscape on a couple of occasions.

• Love 3