Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E01: Week 1

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, sekay87 said:

I am not ordinarily someone who complains about people with a dance background coming on here, but I do think it's ridiculous that Heather Morris gets to be a contestant. She's not just someone who had to learn dance as part of a bigger profession, like Simone Biles for example, but she is a professional dancer and was before going on Glee. She was hired on Glee initially to teach the choreography to Beyonce's Single Ladies to the cast and wound up becoming a character on the show. She's phenomenal, don't get me wrong, but it really irritates me that they're allowing someone who looks almost as good as the pros on the show to compete against the likes of a David Ross or Rashad Jennings, both of whom are not dancers but did a great job on their first routine. I'm bummed because she's obviously going to be either the winner or a finalist and her journey won't be as fun to watch because she's so awesome out of the gate.

I think it evens out in the end. Like you a lot of people won't support her just based on her background and will naturally gravitate towards others. Also I guarantee the judges will underscore her all season. I think the shows wants her around for a while but doesn't want her to win. I just want to see good dancing. Remember fanbase is a huge factor and that's something she's lacking compared to other contestants with good dancing skills.

• Love 6

My thoughts on the Bonner/Sharna matter? For now, I'm going to believe that it was an honest, unintentional mistake. He was looking away from her at the screen so it's possible that his hand really did happen to be placed in one of the worst ways possible. However, seeing as he has also said some inappropriate things toward Sharna, scripted or not, I will be keeping an eye on him. If he does anything else sexist, shady, or inappropriate, then I will not be as forgiving. I think with this blowing up in the media, Bonner's going to be extra careful on the live show, but we'll see. 

As for the Heather Morris situation, I do think her professional background gives her an advantage, but she doesn't have a strong enough fanbase to carry her to the end. It's why people like Nick and Normani will be carried quite far, talented or not. She will have to rely on her talent and hope that it's enough to not earn her a shocking elimination in week 6 or 7, which I think is a strong possibility. Plus, she is now in a group of celebrities who are more on an even playing field with their dancing ability. I don't think she's as much of a shoe in, but I also don't want her gone just out of spite of her professional dance background. 

• Love 6

To me this was an OK first show but I wasn't wowed by anyone but Rashad and surprisingly David! As soon as David was mentioned as a contestant, I knew who I was rooting for! I'm glad that he has the Quick Step over because I'm not sure how quick he would ever be!!!

The one thing that I noticed was how Laurie and Terra were placed by the dance floor...you could not miss them and the camera was on them all the time and   mentioned several times also....note that Babyface was next to them and not mentioned once! The other thing I had to smile about was that even tho' Jenna is not dancing this year, she was front and center in several camera shots! She might be a camera hog but I did really appreciate her last year and I don't want to tell anyone how many times I have watched the Halloween waltz with James....my all time favorite dance of all time!

Last, I thought the tribute to Florence Henderson was really special...she was such a fan. She was at the show the night before she died which is why I think her death took me so unaware. RIP Carol Brady.

• Love 3

Heather won't win, I'm calling that now. The show is too stacked this season with other good people, there will be a lot of resentment against her, she doesn't have massive fanbase and they already started a "you're too closed off, I don't see your personality shining through" narrative for her. Best case scenario for her IMO: She's not a "shocking elimination" and manages to make it very deep into the season. That's it, there's no way she's winning. So in that context, I don't much mind that she's on. She'll dance well, she's a very ringer-y ringer, but it's not like there haven't been a few other people who were vaguely in that same wheelhouse throughout the years (the ice dancers, Corbin, Nicole, Mya, Sabrina Bryan, Mario Lopez perhaps, Riker if he wasn't paired with Allison...).

How the show will handle her will be interesting. I mean, experienced watchers know that they scored her like they did at least partly to calm down grumblings about her participation, but for casual viewers it might do the trick. And though dislike motivated by her dance experience will follow her around all season, it will be absolutely a good thing for her that she isn't top of the leaderboard the first week...at least the ranting about her didn't get any worse. Also, Maks gave her a really lovely, quiet dance that suited her, not something focused on himself. That's a good sign already IMO. I'm cautiously excited about what he'll do with her tbh, his seasons with Mel B and Meryl Davis were so awesome, I want to see more things like that. Also, how about they do a mambo? Maks does really good mambos.

• Love 5

I think if you read the quotes in the ET and the People articles posted upthread, Sharna is either never asked, or never comments on the fact that she had to remove her partner's hand from between her thighs!  She's quoted talking about people "misinterpreting their chemistry", which is someone Val and his partner (or anyone else who plays the showmance-game) could say any season.

And obviously Sharna doesn't want to burn a bridge if TPTB have decided that this was all just one big misunderstanding.  I mean, who hasn't accidentally ended up knuckle-deep in their dance partner?  There but for the grace of God go I, I guess.  

Well, I've said my piece on the matter, and I'll let it go.  But this Bonner guy can fuck off and die anytime now.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, RedFiat said:

Yuck. He tried the pussy grab precisely so they could deny it and get all the freakin' press. The guy can't dance. Sharna please just stop being complicit in the whoring.  Despicable. 

I'm not a big fan of Sharna, but I'm sure she doesn't want to lose her job. I sure hope she doesn't have to tolerate the pussy grabber to keep her employment. Ugh, I hope the audience does the right thing and votes the creep off fast!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Beatrice said:

I think it evens out in the end. Like you a lot of people won't support her just based on her background and will naturally gravitate towards others.

And that's why I personally didn't care about them casting her. Do I think it's kind of ridiculous, sure but this show has hardly ever been fair. But more than that, this show is not won on dancing - it's won on a combination of dancing, personality and fanbase. And with all the backlash, ain't no way Heather's winning this thing. And that's why I think there was clearly an effort to low-ball her in the scores, to try and minimize some of the backlash and downplay how good she is. It won't work though. The fact is the producers had to see this coming when they cast her. So in my opinion, just score the woman as she deserves and let the chips fall where they may.

For now, I'm going to believe that it was an honest, unintentional mistake.

That's what I fervently want to believe because otherwise, we're veering into full on "grab 'em by the (insert inappropriate word)" territory and well that's not just creepy and gross, it's sexual assault. 

I mean, who hasn't accidentally ended up knuckle-deep in their dance partner?  There but for the grace of God go I, I guess.

But then I agree with this. It just seemed like such an oddly specific hand slip. Like if his hand had moved from her waist to the side of her leg/thigh - okay. But it like came around to right up in there.

I think if you read the quotes in the ET and the People articles posted upthread, Sharna is either never asked, or never comments on the fact that she had to remove her partner's hand from between her thighs! 

Yeah I noticed this. Well let's just hope the whole thing is a misunderstanding. Not because of the Bonner guy who I could give a crap about but because I really don't want to imagine Sharna having to put up with a celebrity she's uncomfortable with. 

Sharna please just stop being complicit in the whoring.  Despicable. 

Except she very clearly and deliberately removed his hand and did not look the least bit amused or pleased. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

I still have a grudge against Nancy Kerrigan for the nasty remarks she made (when she thought she wasn't overheard) about Oksana Baiul, when Oksana beat her for the gold. Then Kerrigan kept it up with some big snotty snark about Disneyland when she was being honored there. Again, she did not know her remarks were being aired and recorded, so it was the real Nancy, not the fakety fake All American Girl act she puts on. I missed the cowboy's hand groping, so there he goes from my good list. Meanwhile, topping my Vote For list is Grampa Rossie, the reason I'm watching this season. He's a genuine, real, nice guy as are the entire WS Cubs team. My big W goes to Ross, with a reserve to Rashid, who surprised me by being quite good and fun to watch. And Maks, while you were a hottie all those seasons ago, you've worn thin on me. Time for a new grown-up schtick.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

I couldn't agree more.  We saw someone grab 'em by the pussy on live tv, and it was gross.  And I didn't like how the ET article described it as a "steamy" moment.  No, it was a skeevy moment at best, if not sexual assault, and it's not ok to mischaracterize what he did.

Yeah, there's nothing steamy about a man trying to grope a woman's privates in public, even if they're in a relationship. If they're simply dance partners on a TV show, it's sexual harassment. It really skeeves me out how it's being tied to their showmance by the media. 

• Love 9
Just now, Barbara Manatee said:

There is an enormous divide between "giving off a trashy vibe" and being groped. I don't care how suggestively someone dresses or acts, that's not an free pass to paw them.

Yup. Just going to agree with this comment and slowly back out of the thread.

• Love 3

I can't see how Heather/Maks won't win this, unless there is fan backlash and the judges continue to under score them. I wonder why on earth they cast her this year. She a pro.
One of these seasons they should pair the celebs with each other, ala "SYTYCD"-style, and have a professional coach them.

Charo is obnoxious, not funny and not cute.  The judges reaction was curious and obnoxious, too!  Ugh. 

Nick did very well for a first dance; he has potential.  I hope he outlasts Chris, Mr T and Bonner.  

Simone will win.  zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Love 3

When Maks and Heather started up the stairs to the "skybox" (or whatever its called this season), after the judges comments, the camera showed a lady with a child sitting in the audience. Was that Gwyneth Paltrow?  There is a connection there to Heather, via Glee (she guested in a few episodes as "Holly Holliday", a substitute teacher)

Maks has a terrible attitude and all of his freestyle dances suck.  I predict Maks will be the ultimate downfall of this pairing.

Personally rooting for Rashaad and Nick. Rashaad was good while not in hold and Nick was good in hold. So if both can learn what the other already possess then I think they should at minimum make the semi-finals but I have a feeling Nick will be sacrificed to Heather.

I hate to toot my own horn (TOOT) but I have predicted the final four 3 years in a row. I'm calling this year Simone, Rashaad, Normani and Heather. Although I wish Nick and Grandpa Cubs would replace Normani and Heather.

• Love 1

My main take-away from the premier was that the show really really wants either the baseball player or the football player to win. Both were ridiculously over-scored and over-praised IMO. Granted, both did reasonably well - David was sort of like Bill Engvall in that "unexpectedly competent" way but then the judges just went on and on and on and then they cut to his team mates watching and commenting live via satellite and it was all just too, too much. Rashad was good but the tongue bath from the judges was over the top and higher scores than Normani or Nancy? Ridiculous.

I actually feel kind of sorry for Simone Biles because I'm sure the show doesn't want another gymnast winning two season in a row. I'm sure the show would prefer one of the guys and have already started propping David and Rashad. Everyone else is cannon fodder.

WRT crotch-gate, I've watched the Twitter clip repeatedly and it doesn't appear that his hand is actually touching her body as it drops - just falling in front of that area. I think it's an unfortunately case of camera angles and timing. That said, he was definitely over-hyped as well. 

Charo has been botoxed, injected and stretched to a freakish extent. I just think she looks disturbing, frankly. She can still move, I'll give her that - I just don't want to watch her. 

I've always had a negative view of Chris Kattan, but unlike Andy Dick who somewhat endeared himself on this show, I think Kattan is only going to make things worse. He looked positively pissed about Carrie Ann's comment. 

• Love 7
Just now, iMonrey said:

Both were ridiculously over-scored and over-praised IMO.

Yeah I forgot about the baseball player. I wasn't surprised to see the crowd get so behind him and Lindsay played it perfectly with the choreography but the judges getting on the bandwagon did make me roll my eyes but whatever.

3 hours ago, sekay87 said:

I'm with the two of you! I watch RHOBH and I LOVE Erika. There's so much more to her than a raunchy alter-ego. It makes me sad they don't show more of that side of her!

I am with all three of you.  Since she is using the name Erika Jayne, I think she signed on thinking she was going to be raunchy in every dance.  She might change her tune.  

• Love 1

Why not just have all the women dance naked?   I hate when women are objectified as sex objects by costume designers who think the briefer the costume, the better.  These women can dance easily without looking like they charge by the hour.  There is absolutely no need for these highly sexualized outfits the women wear.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I don't. I feel like this is her punishment for coasting the last few seasons and being a mediocre Pro. Unlike Lindsay who since she became a Pro again, clearly fights for her spot by somehow making every person she's with shine, Witney just delivers lazy choreography and whines and of course reminds us all the time how incredibly dumb she is. 

Witney is soooo dumb but I do want to give her a pass on not knowing the SNL stuff last night. She was 5 when A Night at the Roxbury came out and 10 when Kattan finished his run on SNL. I wasn't watching SNL at 10 and I would bet that's true of most people.

As for her partnerships, I do think she can be lazy on the choreography but I don't feel like she whines any more than some of the other pros. Maks is obviously the gold standard, but Derek, Mark, Tony, Gleb, Artem, Keo etc have all had moments where they've been pretty negative in practice or clearly been unhappy with their partners. Witney, though, never gets compared to the male pros and I will concede she's the least patient of the women.

5 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I guess I'm going to take the unpopular side and say that I like Erika though I wish she had been presented in a different light.  On Real Housewives she is actually one of the more likable women.  As Erika Gerardi she doesn't get involved in the rumor mill and a lot of the b.s. that goes on.  She is married to a very wealthy attorney  who is years older than her though she herself came from humble beginnings.  Her general demeanor is rather subdued and guarded.   Erika Jayne is her alter-ego and she has a huge gay following at her performances.  Unfortunately I can see that it doesn't appeal to the DWTS demographic.  I hope she gets to chance to show the Erika Gerardi side.

I've never watched any Real Housewives but I heard good things about Erika coming into this so seeing her last night left me wondering. I do think its tough to introduce yourself to a new audience and I do want to see a softer and less performative side of her. Hopefully she'll get a few more weeks and we can see her in a different light. If though I found her annoying last night, I still would rather see her dance than Chris so hopefully she gets a ballroom number next week and is able to move to week three and pick up some fans.

4 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

I couldn't agree more.  We saw someone grab 'em by the pussy on live tv, and it was gross.  And I didn't like how the ET article described it as a "steamy" moment.  No, it was a skeevy moment at best, if not sexual assault, and it's not ok to mischaracterize what he did.

Steamy is the wrong word and I hate that its become the party line here. Assuming it was an accident, it's "awkward" or "unfortunate". If it was intentional, it's "criminal."

4 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

David Ross seems like a real nice guy, and he seems to have some potential.  But that had to be one of the slowest quicksteps ever.  I was not prepared for the high marks at all. 

Yes! I couldn't believe it! I get that the song is the song, but that was like watching a normal Quickstep in slow motion. If Normani rightly lost points for body contact, David should have lost points for speed. He seems like a nice guy and I think his foxtrot and smooth waltz are going to be good, but I worry about the other dances and I think he was overhyped.

2 hours ago, Barbara Manatee said:

There is an enormous divide between "giving off a trashy vibe" and being groped. I don't care how suggestively someone dresses or acts, that's not an free pass to paw them.

Agreed. Mostly I quoted this because I think it needs to be seen over and over and over.

In general, I'm going to believe it was an accident seeing as he was looking the other way but I've got my eye on him going forward. Anything else even a little inappropriate and I will rage.

57 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

My main take-away from the premier was that the show really really wants either the baseball player or the football player to win. Both were ridiculously over-scored and over-praised IMO. Granted, both did reasonably well - David was sort of like Bill Engvall in that "unexpectedly competent" way but then the judges just went on and on and on and then they cut to his team mates watching and commenting live via satellite and it was all just too, too much. Rashad was good but the tongue bath from the judges was over the top and higher scores than Normani or Nancy? Ridiculous.

I don't know if the show wants to see either guy win, but I do think they are very aware that based on dance talent, the men could be gone long before the women. It's conceivable that the final five could be all women. You've got Simone, Nancy, Heather, Normani and Erika all with various levels of dance training. I think more than anything the show doesn't want to lose all the men too quickly and want at least one guy in the final three. I think pushing Rashad and David come from the fact that Rashad gave a strong performance and David has an assumed fanbase. I think realistically you don't cast Heather, Nancy, Simone and Normani and expect a guy to win, but I do think the show is already thinking about storylines and balance for the season and wants to make sure that there are men who are talked about with promise.

I need to talk about Heather because I love her. I knew I would because I have for years and obviously she's a ringer but I don't really care. I love her. I love the way she carries herself and her arm placement. I think her spins and turns are the best we've ever seen (because hello!) and unlike some of the other comments, I don't think she has a bland personality. She's got a dry sense of humour and that doesn't always work on a show like this, I know, but I really need her to make it deep in the competition. I get that she's probably not going to win, but I just want to see her dance for as many weeks as possible. Glee always cut the performances like they were a music video so getting to see this is a real treat.

Edited by vibeology
  • Love 8

Is anyone wondering if all his falls on the head did something to loosen C. Cowboy's filters and self-control? 

Speaking of injuries, I'm wondering if Kattan's broken neck was caused by all the physical comedy he did on SNL -- especially the repeated head bopping of the Roxbury dude.  He seems to be held together with duct tape and staples.

Speaking of held together, Charo's cute schtick is about 40 years too old.  While Mr. T, who is just as old, is a oddly heroic and inspring figure.

That ringer chick may go far not because of her experience, but because people may vote for the team because they like Maks.

• Love 1

although I'm not sure why Julianne was so focused on bringing up the point that Heather's not versed in ballroom.

I think Julianne may be aware of the size-able number of people who think she's team Hough over team Fam.  So it was an easy opp for her both to get a dig into the casting of a ringer AND support that ringer, thus satisfying either side of the equation.

Charo needs to go. She is a loose cannon and cringe worthy. They spent too much time holding her back from doing whatever it was she was pulling to do. She needs to calm down.... this type of "energy" is embarrassing. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I think Julianne may be aware of the size-able number of people who think she's team Hough over team Fam.  So it was an easy opp for her both to get a dig into the casting of a ringer AND support that ringer, thus satisfying either side of the equation.

I actually think Julianne was trying to educate the audience a bit. The dance styles are very different and just because someone is great in one style it might not translate to another style. Julianne has experience dancing different styles. She's amazing in some but for instance hip hop doesn't look good on her.

• Love 3

I'm not real big on Maks, but I've adored Heather ever since I found out she ad libbed a number of her Brittany lines on Glee. Like some others, I'm 100% sure she won't win (or even make the finals), but I'm going to enjoy watching her dance while she's there.

Usually VWs bore the heck out of me, but I enjoyed both Nancy/Artem's and Heather/Maks's VWs last night.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

That ringer chick may go far not because of her experience, but because people may vote for the team because they like Maks.

I think for Maks to get that level of votes he's going to need for both Peta and Val to be eliminated and pick up their voters. Sharna's too. I found his little shout out to Peta after his scores incredibly self-serving, especially when she was standing a few feet away and he could have said what he did directly to her instead of making Heather's experience all about him. Unfortunately Maks seems to have realized and embraced that his relationship with Peta and the baby are the only things keeping him in the spotlight these days and without the ability to play a showmance with his partner, which is the only way he's ever been successful on the show, I anticipate him playing up the happy family thing to the point that it starts to overshadow his partner and the show and really pisses people off.

On a different note, was I the only one taken back to Season 10 during their rehearsal package? From certain camera angles Heather could almost pass for Erin's twin.

• Love 1

My favorite moments: 1) During Charo's interview, she was jumping up and down on her chair so much, she was making the lamp next to it wobble. Suddenly, there was an anonymous hand that came into the frame and moved the lamp to safety.  2) When the camera came back to Erin in the balcony, Maks and Peta were having a serious conversation (I wish I could lip-read) and Erin nudged them to get them to stop talking. Peta went from serious to super-smiley in about half a second. Hilarious.

Since those were my favorite parts of the episode, I guess that tells you that I was not that invested in the actual dancing last night.

• Love 7

Yes, Fliz -- I loved the lamp part too!

I'm clearly outnumbered, but I still love Charo.   She is performing at almost the same level as her Love Boat days and she's over 65!  I hope I move half that well at her age.   I also loved Mr. T.   I pity the fool who doesn't.   Yes, he was bad, but he tried.  

I hope either the raunchy housewife or SNL guy are out first.  

Best surprise of the night -- Rashad.   He was really good. 

• Love 4

From certain camera angles Heather could almost pass for Erin's twin.

When they were standing in the sky box facing inwards in profile, I was disoriented by how similar they looked.  Maks between them actually seemed to make it more symmetrical somehow.

The big diff between Lindsey and Witney is that Lindsey seems to treat any partner as a contender, whereas Witney immediately telegraphs that she's pissed because she doesn't have one.  I used to prefer Witney to Lindsey, but I've completely come around on that.

I really just don't like Maks anymore.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I guess I'm going to take the unpopular side and say that I like Erika though I wish she had been presented in a different light.  On Real Housewives she is actually one of the more likable women.  As Erika Gerardi she doesn't get involved in the rumor mill and a lot of the b.s. that goes on.  She is married to a very wealthy attorney  who is years older than her though she herself came from humble beginnings.  Her general demeanor is rather subdued and guarded.   Erika Jayne is her alter-ego and she has a huge gay following at her performances.  Unfortunately I can see that it doesn't appeal to the DWTS demographic.  I hope she gets to chance to show the Erika Gerardi side.

It's unfortunate she chose to show only the alter-ego side.  I, like many I suppose, don't watch any of the Real Housewives shows.  So what we see here, is all we know of her.  I probably would have advised her to go with her real personality first and then throw in some of her alter-ego so we could see it was just an act.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Uke said:

It's unfortunate she chose to show only the alter-ego side.  I, like many I suppose, don't watch any of the Real Housewives shows.  So what we see here, is all we know of her.  I probably would have advised her to go with her real personality first and then throw in some of her alter-ego so we could see it was just an act.

I would have you give the same advice to Charo while at it. :)

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I really just don't like Maks anymore.

Sadly neither do I. I lost a ton of respect for him when he became the Bachelor just a few months after trashing Jake Pavelka and the whole Bachelor concept. Whatever shred of respect I had left went out the window when he went back to Peta, a woman he treated horribly and embarrassed on national TV when he broke up with her, because he was getting desperate to start a family and couldn't find anyone else willing to put up with him. Throw in the fact that everything that comes out of his mouth is a contradiction or a lie and the way he makes everything about himself, and it makes me appreciate pros like Derek, Mark, Cheryl and Karina a whole lot more.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I agree.  I think she got a wake up call with Len and CA's comments.  She and Nick both have enough fans to keep them in for awhile.  I like them both and would love to see an upset.  I just love those!  

Speaking of Maks, was anyone else confused when Tom told him welcome back after he and Heather finished their dance? I remember thinking, "welcome back to where - he didn't leave". Maks competed last season. Or have they all already forgotten Amber Rose that quickly or maybe are trying to forget her. 

1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Speaking of Maks, was anyone else confused when Tom told him welcome back after he and Heather finished their dance? I remember thinking, "welcome back to where - he didn't leave". Maks competed last season. Or have they all already forgotten Amber Rose that quickly or maybe are trying to forget her. 

I think he meant after having a baby and it made no sense.  

1 hour ago, vibeology said:

I need to talk about Heather because I love her. I knew I would because I have for years and obviously she's a ringer but I don't really care. I love her

May I sit here?

I never watch any of these talent-type shows, save for an episode or clip that gets attention for something other than the show. I intend to google the YouTube clips of Heather each week, because I too love her. Inexplicably. I only hope to catch a glimpse of Lord Tubbington raising a fondue stick and cheering her on. I know he's out there somewhere, having kicked his Ecstasy addiction.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yes, and when Erin said it to him again when they went upstairs to get their scores.

2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Why not just have all the women dance naked?   I hate when women are objectified as sex objects by costume designers who think the briefer the costume, the better.  These women can dance easily without looking like they charge by the hour.  There is absolutely no need for these highly sexualized outfits the women wear.  

I thought that the pros have input on the design of their costumes and the costumes of their "stars"?  I don't think that the blame lies with the costume designers.  It seems that a number of the female pros like looking like that.

5 hours ago, Barbara Manatee said:

They choreograph what appears to be "groping" or touching in their dances all the time.  How often are their hands on their partners backsides?

2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well Sharna is saying it was all innocent and an accident. Fair enough then. I am willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

It honestly looked like an accident to me. It didn't even cross my mind that it could be perverted so I was little surprised to see some of the comments here and elsewhere. He didn't look like he was even aware of where he placed his hand. I have no issue with taking people to task, but I very much hesitate to assume this man had perverted intent with his hand placement. Until I hear otherwise, I think it was a genuine accident.

Ringer or not, I am here for Nancy and Heather. I don't watch this show for the Chris Kattans, tbh. I watch because I love watching talented, elegant dancers. 

I think having Simone on so quickly after Laurie leads to gymnast fatigue. I'm not as invested in Simone's progress. 

I like Erika on RHOBH, but I don't think this is the show for her. She's a lovely person and I think her personality is so fun, but I feel like her alter ego is going to fall flat with the show's core audience. Maybe they should have chosen a different song.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

There's no question that the women field is stacked this season and a woman will likely win. The men are clearly a lot weaker. However, I do think Nick and Rashad did pretty well. I felt Rashad, in the long history of football players on this show, got by largely on personality. His technique was okay and there was some good Cha Cha content in there but I thought Nick was better. I actually think Nick was a bit nitpicked by the judges but it almost felt in the vein of they can tell he does have potential to be better. 

I also wonder if the judges were impacted by Nick's intro package. Nick's intro video was unique in the sense that a lot of it focused on his desire to win the competition (heaven forbid lol) which may have made him come across as overconfident and cocky to the judges (I didn't think that at all while watching it but I did think that he got the "competitive edit" with all of his tongue-and-cheek remarks about beating the competition). To me, it seemed like they were trying to humble Nick with their scores and constructive criticism...which isn't a bad thing but seeing as I've watched some of Nick's interviews that he did prior to the premiere and therefore knew how self-depreciating he has been about his dancing abilities, the prospect of the judges feeling the need to humble him is annoying to me. But again, this is just a theory and to be honest, his scores could have been worse so I'm not too bothered by it. Overall, I thought that Nick and Peta did a great job for a first dance...and I'm totally biased but I do think that Nick has the most natural rhythm among the men's side of the competition. His technique might not have been as solid as the football player or the former baseball player but I think that once Nick learns to calm down and polish his hands and feet then he'll really be a force to be reckon with in this competition. And yeah, it's kind of annoying how stacked the women's field is. I mean, I'm all for girl power and all but this is a little ridiculous lol. 

• Love 1

Yasss y'all can thank Normani for that demo rating increase between this and last seasons premiere. The show got 12.1 million audience viewership and 2.1 demo rating in the 18-49 ages up from last season which only got 1.5. They better do her right because so many "young" people are watching the show just for her and DWTS wants that audience. 

Am I the only one who likes Heather and Maks? I mean I totally agree it's not fair and it's ludicrous that a professional dancer in any capacity should compete against complete amateurs but I'll admit, I enjoy watching dances as they would be danced in a professional context. I also don't think her fanbase is as nonexistent as its being made out to be; Glee was one of the top rated sitcoms in the past 5 years, with the show having ended just 2 years ago. Her character was also fairly popular and was half of top 3 "ships" on the show.  I'd argue her fanbase is just as large as Simone's, TBH. Gleeks are still totally a thing.

I saw someone else post that they may be trying to groom her to be a show pro, which I could see.It would be really cool to see a former contestant join the pros, and it would get her back into dance and TV.

Edited by ChaChaSlide
  • Love 7