Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Baré

Vyk
  • Start Topic

From TV Guide:

After Barry starts checking out the best medical schools to become a doctor, Lainey announces she got into a fashion program that doesn't have a medical school, so Barry decides to modify his dream so he can be with Lainey.

Discuss tonight's new episode here.

(edited)

Really?  Nothing till now?

Well, I usually love RLS's, but this time, I didn't need one!  She got a whole storyline dedicated to her (and a final dedication video, too)!  I liked how they used her to basically bring out Murray's true feelings about losing Erica.  Although her and Adam's discomfort over his whisper-crying was a lot of laughs, as was Adam continually getting hurt while trying to find Lucky.

In the other storyline, we finally got confirmation that Show!Barry wants to be a cardiologist like Real!Barry is.  But he and Lainey face a hard truth.  They have different dreams, and the different directions they might take in life will make it difficult to sustain their relationship.  Of course, the guidance counselor made things worse.

But Matt is still part of the JTP!  Awesome!  So that bit of continuity remained intact!

Mostly okay episode.

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Vyk said:

Really?  Nothing till now?

Well, I usually love RLS's, but this time, I didn't need one!  She got a whole storyline dedicated to her (and a final dedication video, too)!  I liked how they used to basically bring out Murray's true feelings about losing Erica.  Although her and Adam's discomfort over his whisper-crying was a lot of laughs, as was Adam continually getting hurt while trying to find Lucky.

In the other storyline, we finally got confirmation that Show!Barry wants to be a cardiologist like Real!Barry is.  But he and Lainey face a hard truth.  They have different dreams, and the different directions they might take in life will make it difficult to sustain their relationship.  Of course, the guidance counselor made things worse.

But Matt is still part of the JTP!  Awesome!  So that bit of continuity remained intact!

Mostly okay episode.

My husband and I were wondering last night what Real Barry does.  It's nice to know they are following real life there.  Although I hope Real Barry isn't as much of idiot as they portray Show Barry!

Barry's fashion show was awesome.  Loved the sequin Philly logos on everything (says the girl with sequin Buffalo Bills & Yankee shirts in her closet!)

Jeff Garlin was great last night with the whisper cry and when he was sitting next to Erica at end and she put her head on his shoulder.  God I miss my dad so much.  Also loved how he was with Lucky and I love love love that they dedicated show to Real Lucky and showed all her pics at end.  Awwww.

• Love 17

C'mon, Barry & Lainey! Surely there's another school in the area that has a pre-med program. UGA is less than a 4 hour drive from Savannah. University of South Carolina is 2.5hrs. There are solutions! Just put some miles on that van.

Glad to see Matt sticking around, he pulled of the Sports Tuxedo incredibly well.

A lot less Beverly than normal this week, and it worked pretty well, though that was a great visual of her trying to get out of Lainey's car. Speaking of visuals, Adam's really growing, he's basically Erica's height now. Of course they both look tiny next to Murray.

I wonder if Erica and Lainey are actually going to be going off to school. Erica has been applying to Colleges for 4 seasons now, which is fine, but this one felt slightly more definitive.

• Love 6

This was okay. I can only take Barry in small doses, so I didn't love the fashion stuff that much. The Flyers wear was a bit amusing. I was a bit more amused by the "doctor" bit at the end. 

The stuff with Erica, Adam, Murray and the dog was better, and I loved the tribute to the dog at the end. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

C'mon, Barry & Lainey! Surely there's another school in the area that has a pre-med program. UGA is less than a 4 hour drive from Savannah. University of South Carolina is 2.5hrs. There are solutions! Just put some miles on that van.

That's what I was thinking.  If he doesn't apply to schools close to Savannah, then it's like this is just a plot point for them to break up eventually?

I was a bit more amused by the "doctor" bit at the end.

I laughed like a hyena.  Mr. Angeltoes didn't laugh at all and wanted to know what was so amusing about it.  I said,"Because it's so stupid!" and you know the actors had fun doing it.

Is Real Barry married to Real Lainey?  Was there a Real Lainey?

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I laughed like a hyena.  Mr. Angeltoes didn't laugh at all and wanted to know what was so amusing about it.  I said,"Because it's so stupid!" and you know the actors had fun doing it.

There was not a Real Lainey.  I believe Real Barry met his wife in college.  Real Adam met his wife when they were in high school in a summer program.  He's using some of those stories for Lainey IIRC.  Basically the trade off to Real Barry for making Barry look like such an idiot was giving him a hot girlfriend, but I'm not sure how much of that was Real Adam exaggerating in interviews.

Edited by saylubee
  • Love 1

Real Lucky looks so much like Show Lucky! What a cutie pie! Oh my God, Murray freaking out and crying when his emotions all come spilling out reminds me so much of my dad. He isn't a very big "Talk about your feelings" kind of guy, but every once in awhile, it'll all come out and he gets super emotional. Then me and my sister turn into Adam and Erica, completely confused and freaked out.

Pretty good episode, but it made me a little sad knowing that Lainey and Barry are pretty much doomed. At least I know Barry becomes a doctor! I have to wonder what his patients think about this show? "I'm Doctor Goldburg, here to help save your life. Aren't you the guy from the show who raps a lot and does terrible kung foo?"  

• Love 9
On 3/16/2017 at 4:31 PM, Angeltoes said:

The 'doctor' bit had me howling; I also rewound and watched it three times.

On 3/17/2017 at 1:12 AM, saylubee said:

There was not a Real Lainey.  I believe Real Barry met his wife in college.  Real Adam met his wife when they were in high school in a summer program.  He's using some of those stories for Lainey IIRC.  Basically the trade off to Real Barry for making Barry look like such an idiot was giving him a hot girlfriend, but I'm not sure how much of that was Real Adam exaggerating in interviews.

Is there a real Geoff Schwartz?  If so, I wonder what the real Eric thinks of that story.

• Love 2

Ok so "This is the Time" plus a dedication to a long-gone pup equals the perfect storm for a sobfest.  Damn show.

Thank goodness for the completely stupid "Doctor" bit that still made me howl like a loon.

I hate that Adam and I are so close in age because his memories make the nostalgia hit me HARD.

• Love 7

That tribute at the end really got to me.  We know that the real Lucky passed away a long time ago.  It's so heartbreaking when they do tributes for animals.

Another heart-wrenching scene was between Barry and Lainey.  At some point, they're probably going to breakup.

This episode was definitely a downer, especially how Murray reacted to Erica going to college.  It hits close to home.

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:12 AM, saylubee said:

There was not a Real Lainey.  I believe Real Barry met his wife in college.

Are we going to see Show Barry Wife when Barry goes to college? Otherwise, chalk me up as miffed with the impending breakup (unless they need to write AJ out of the show).

Add: If Show!Barry's wife is named Olive and they have a kid Rachel, I'm going to punch this show so hard, both Adam Goldbergs will feel it.

Edited by NutmegsDad
Added an UnREAL future...
  • Love 1

I noticed that, while Lainey is attending school in Savannah, Erica had it narrowed down to two schools, one in Florida and one in Georgia.  I wonder if they are going to have them both going to school in Georgia? 

The "Doctor! Doctor!" bit at the end looked familiar.  Is there an old routine like that out there already? 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I noticed that, while Lainey is attending school in Savannah, Erica had it narrowed down to two schools, one in Florida and one in Georgia.  I wonder if they are going to have them both going to school in Georgia? 

The "Doctor! Doctor!" bit at the end looked familiar.  Is there an old routine like that out there already? 

The Doctor routine is in  the Chevy Chase/Dan Ackroyd  movie Spies Like Us.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/16/2017 at 0:24 PM, Traveller519 said:

They're not graduating at the same time, though, so there would still be Lainey's freshman year to get through.

On 3/20/2017 at 7:15 PM, DianeChambers123 said:

The Doctor routine is in  the Chevy Chase/Dan Ackroyd  movie Spies Like Us.

Thanks! I was thinking Airplane! but I see from TV Tropes that it uses "Captain."

On 3/25/2017 at 9:12 PM, dcalley said:

They're not graduating at the same time, though, so there would still be Lainey's freshman year to get through.

Thanks! I was thinking Airplane! but I see from TV Tropes that it uses "Captain."

Erica was supposed to graduate last year I thought and pretty sure she's a senior officially now. It's doable and it'll work better than what The Middle did.

On 3/17/2017 at 11:58 AM, tennisgurl said:

I have to wonder what his patients think about this show? "I'm Doctor Goldburg, here to help save your life. Aren't you the guy from the show who raps a lot and does terrible kung foo?"  

"And flips out about pudding?"

• LOL 2