Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Episode 1

An undocumented worker, Luis Salazar, travels from Mexico into the United States in search of a job, only to discover that modern servitude is thriving in the farmlands and agricultural communities. Coy Henson is a young, white American male, estranged from his family and hopelessly addicted to drugs.

Hesby Farms, a struggling family-owned tomato farm, is forced to cut back on labor costs in order to be competitive in a market that continuously demands lower prices. Jeanette Hesby, who married into the family that owns the farm, begins to learn the shocking truth behind their wealth.

Kimara Walters is a dedicated social worker who truly wants to help those in need. When Kimara meets Shae Reese, a 17-year-old prostitute, Kimara wants to help Shae get out of the business, turn her life around and testify against her pimp in court.

I thought it was pretty good.  The setting this season is in my state, NC, right?  That's where the migrant worker said it wanted to go. Some of the southern accents are okay, but, some not so much.  

I am interested in this season, because when I hear terms about human trafficking, I am curious as to what that really means. Also, as to how these very cheap workers influence the price of our produce. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I am interested in this season, because when I hear terms about human trafficking, I am curious as to what that really means.

Same here.  I think that's what this season is all about, human trafficking in many of its insidious forms.  Was very glad to see two of the regular AC actors in the previews!

• Love 1

I didn't see a speculation thread for this season, so, I"ll put this in spoiler tags.

Spoiler

The migrant worker who said he didn't speak English seems suspicious to me.  I suspect that he can speak English and is he who he really appears to be?

11 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

It's got me!!!

Me too, love it already.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought it was pretty good.  The setting this season is in my state, NC, right?  That's where the migrant worker said it wanted to go. Some of the southern accents are okay, but, some not so much.  

I am interested in this season, because when I hear terms about human trafficking, I am curious as to what that really means. Also, as to how these very cheap workers influence the price of our produce. 

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they actually took him to NC even though that's where he said he wanted to go. I wonder why he wanted to go there?

The migrant worker who said he didn't speak English seems suspicious to me.  I suspect that he can speak English and is he who he really appears to be?

We know he can speak English because the promos that advertised this season show him speaking English, very good English too. He still has an accent but, he speaks English well IMO, based on the promo. Good for him, it's smart, when they think you can't speak English, evil doers let their true intentions ramble off their tongues.

But who knows, he may be some undercover investigator.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

Me too, love it already.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they actually took him to NC even though that's where he said he wanted to go. I wonder why he wanted to go there?

Yes, I now think it's set in Alamance County, NC. That's about 50 miles from me. I thought the way the migrant worker sought out NC seemed odd too. That's why I wonder if he's really who he appears to be. 

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Tim DeKay's attempt at a North Carolina accent made me sad. 

22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, I now think it's set in Alamance County, NC.

I heard at least three names of towns or cities that would place the setting all over the state - Gibsonville (central NC), Patterson (western NC) and then somewhere in the east. Why do you think it's in Alamance? I probably missed something.

14 minutes ago, LizDC said:

Tim DeKay's attempt at a North Carolina accent made me sad. 

I heard at least three names of towns or cities that would place the setting all over the state - Gibsonville (central NC), Patterson (western NC) and then somewhere in the east. Why do you think it's in Alamance? I probably missed something.

I posted my answer in the American Crime in The Media thread. 

I was a tad confused by all the moving parts until I read a recap that broke it down for me.  Now I'm understand what's going on and am anxious to see how some of the stories will be intertwined.

This is one of the best dramas on TV bar none.  Great acting, great directing, great writing.  I look forward to each season.

• Love 2

I think it's telling that the show started with a 911 call where someone reported finding a dead body.  Who is it? Is it the guy that Luis Salazar sees from the bus? Is it one of the sex workers? When does this call happen: before the events we are seeing or after?

1 hour ago, WearyTraveler said:

I think it's telling that the show started with a 911 call where someone reported finding a dead body.  Who is it? Is it the guy that Luis Salazar sees from the bus? Is it one of the sex workers? When does this call happen: before the events we are seeing or after?

That's just it - we don't know yet.  If I remember correctly, last season started out with a rape call to the police, then the story kind of unfolded backwards.

• Love 1

Two possibilities as to who Salazar could be: an undercover cop or an investigative journalist.

ETA: Also found it interesting that none of the owners / managers ever said to get undocumented workers in so many words.  It's never specific, but they all know what everyone means.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

Two possibilities as to who Salazar could be: an undercover cop or an investigative journalist.

ETA: Also found it interesting that none of the owners / managers ever said to get undocumented workers in so many words.  It's never specific, but they all know what everyone means.

What about the white kid the truck driver (can't remember his name) was trying to recruit to pick tomatoes?  Maybe the truck driver was trying to recruit anybody who looked like they were down on their luck to work in the fields.

• Love 1

OK -- I'm totally in this season.

Yeah -- the unspoken 'yeah...migrant is kinda what we need but let's not say it' screamed as loud as the 'not Walmart but totally Walmart' big box corporation squeezing the small farm. (Expect More pay less...Bentonville....yeah...obvious who that was.)

Considering how topical illegal immigration is...I am very interested in this season, and I think it was a helluva good topic for them to pic, because this will be a very touchy subject for many folks -- it's just an ugly, inescapable truth of our economy and the American way of life:  WE don't get what we are used to without undocumented workers who are forced to work on the cheap. 

This should be a fascinating season.

• Love 13

I loved the last two seasons but this one didn't grab me yet-I need another episode I guess. I just kind of felt they were finding ways to squeeze in their actors from the past two years without filling the roles naturally or something. I guess Timothy Hutton will appear in a future episode. I was confused about the young man (Connor Jessup) who said his brother wanted nothing to do with him. He seemed more like a likely sex trafficking victim than someone who would be held captive to work on fields. I think the first season worked best thematically because it was mostly about a murder-last season got into a few different areas and it looks like this would to. I originally thought the sex trafficking would be with illegal immigrants and not teenagers.

I loved this!  I didn't even recognize Connor Jessup at first--glad that he's being given diverse, well-written roles in this anthology series.  The opening was so powerful, and I'm glad they chose to show that diversity of sex trafficking victims, given that boys do make up 50% of the trafficked children in America, but have generally not been seen as victims or seen themselves that way.  Since his 'cuz' started grooming him at six years old to accept that abuse and exploitation = freedom and love, it isn't likely that spending the day with a social worker is going to be enough to change his mind.  This policy of not arresting and prosecuting children being trafficked for sex is still new, but it's great to see this episode anchored between the two interviews that Regina King delivers. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

With a third possibility that the 911 call to open the show was a relative of Salazar and thus his being the undercover cop/journalist gave him to set of skills to try to pull off his mission. Maybe because Captain Aceveda is my image of him the way he eyed the gun and acted said cop to me from the beginning.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

I'm glad they chose to show that diversity of sex trafficking victims, given that boys do make up 50% of the trafficked children in America, but have generally not been seen as victims or seen themselves that way

Yeah, when Regina and Sandra's characters were talking, I think it was Regina's character that said something about another shelter/home, but that it doesn't take boys. It's so sad and depressing, but I'm here for it, this show is phenomenal.

• Love 5

This looks to be the best season yet, and the most unique so far. Less about one specific crime (a murder, a rape) that led to a bunch of other crimes and issues, and more a bunch of other crimes and issues that lead to a specific crime. Its almost more like The Wire (I know, heavy praise) in that its about greater institutional problems, and all the people on all levels that are involved. Its probably going to be a gripping, if depressing, journey.

As of now, I think Salazar is either an undercover cop, journalist, or he's looking for a friend or family member who went to the States and got in trouble, and he's trying to find them. There is clearly more to him than meets the eye, especially with the questions he was asking and how he was eyeing that gun. I also think there is more going on with Connor Jessup. Maybe its just my thoughts from last year, but I thought maybe he was a runway teen hooker or something, or that's where his story is going to go. Why is he just wondering around? Maybe he has drug problems or something?

Felicity Huffman must be thrilled to not be playing the most hate able person on TV this season! Her character this season seems pretty nice, it seems like she might be the voice of reason in her family in law as they start using more migrant workers. I liked how no one said "use undocumented workers", but it was all very clearly implied. Also, between this and the last season of American Horror Story, the good people of North Carolina must be thrilled about how well their state is being portrayed on TV lately. I went to Ashville last weekend, and I would watch the hell out of a wacky comedy set there, with its millions of breweries and vegetarian places in the middle of Appalachia.

9 hours ago, Glade said:

and I'm glad they chose to show that diversity of sex trafficking victims, given that boys do make up 50% of the trafficked children in America, but have generally not been seen as victims or seen themselves that way. 

I thought that was interesting as well. As you said, boys make up a large percent of trafficked kids, but you rarely see that when trafficking is portrayed or discussed in the media. I feel like, and maybe I'm reaching here, but when people are trying to make a point that something like trafficking or abuse is BAD, they tend to emphasis female victims and how women and girls are being hurt, because that seems to set people off more than when it happens to men or boys. It all seems very "we must save the poor damsels in distress" sometimes, to show something is REALLY awful because females are being hurt. Not that female victims aren't important, or that women don't make up a large percentage of victims, and there are certainly issues that are specific to women, its just something I've noticed. Like we saw here, it makes it harder for boys to admit they were abused or victimized, because boys "aren't supposed" to be hurt that way. Of course, we just had a whole season about that, so I shouldn't be that surprised. Speaking of, that poor kid was pimped out since he was six! Holy crap that was chilling. And I felt awful when he couldn't get into a shelter because its only for women. I wonder if we will see him again? Also, the girl playing the blond prostitute is really great. She has a really expressive face, and I'm already invested in her and her situation. It looks like she lives in an apartment with a bunch of other teenaged prostitutes, being controlled by a pimp. I hope the whole thing gets busted up, but I'm not counting on many happy times in this show.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I was confused about the young man (Connor Jessup) who said his brother wanted nothing to do with him.

My guess is that he's gay or trans. A huge percentage of homeless youth are LGBT and have been kicked out by their families and left with nowhere to go.

I was appreciating that they showed the social worker as having very little money (she was trying to get her cable back after it had lapsed due to non-payment) but then they showed her doing IVF, which is very expensive, so I found that odd.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I was appreciating that they showed the social worker as having very little money (she was trying to get her cable back after it had lapsed due to non-payment) but then they showed her doing IVF, which is very expensive, so I found that odd.

Yes, I thought the same thing. It confused me because I thought, how can she have money for IVF?

My guess is that he's gay or trans. A huge percentage of homeless youth are LGBT and have been kicked out by their families and left with nowhere to go.

This is interesting to me because a white boy, in the fields working along side the other undocumented workers, that's not something I would ever think would occur. The sex trafficking, yes, but not the forced labor. I figure this show does very good research down to every detail which is why I enjoy watching it. So this character and his journey is eye opening for me out of all the characters, very interesting.

• Love 2

Re the LGBT homeless youth issue, more info here: https://truecolorsfund.org/our-issue/

Most of the homelessness organizations I've seen stats from say 40% of homeless youth are LGBT in the USA. They might all be using the same study (I'm not sure), but it's a widely circulated number.

I really like this show. It's painful but not gratuitously so. They really try to write it carefully, and the acting is top notch as well. It's very hard to watch sometimes, but I am glad they're doing it.

Of course, I don't know anything about this season beyond what they showed in the first episode. But I thought last season was really making an effort, and am kind of trusting this one will be, too.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Glade said:

I loved this!  I didn't even recognize Connor Jessup at first--glad that he's being given diverse, well-written roles in this anthology series.  

I recognized him because he is doing the exact same twitchy faces with affected repeating of words and stuttering. His over acting is horrible. I thought he was playing the same kid who just changed his hair. 

I like the immigrant story even though it is so sad. The woman who is one of the siblings who own the farm looks like she might have some compassion for her workers. I bet she has no idea of how they are being cheated and treated. At least I hope she doesn't know. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lemons said:

The woman who is one of the siblings who own the farm looks like she might have some compassion for her workers. I bet she has no idea of how they are being cheated and treated. At least I hope she doesn't know. 

She's not one of the siblings who own the farm.  She's married to one of the siblings who own the farm.

Based on how outraged she was at her sister's $7.5 an hour for the job she was doing, I would say she has no idea.  And based on the episode's description in the press release (which is quoted in the first post of this thread), I'd say she will find out (I've quoted it again).

On 3/3/2017 at 6:53 PM, saoirse said:

An undocumented worker, Luis Salazar, travels from Mexico into the United States in search of a job, only to discover that modern servitude is thriving in the farmlands and agricultural communities. Coy Henson is a young, white American male, estranged from his family and hopelessly addicted to drugs.

Hesby Farms, a struggling family-owned tomato farm, is forced to cut back on labor costs in order to be competitive in a market that continuously demands lower prices. Jeanette Hesby, who married into the family that owns the farm, begins to learn the shocking truth behind their wealth.

Kimara Walters is a dedicated social worker who truly wants to help those in need. When Kimara meets Shae Reese, a 17-year-old prostitute, Kimara wants to help Shae get out of the business, turn her life around and testify against her pimp in court.

20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I also think there is more going on with Connor Jessup. Maybe its just my thoughts from last year, but I thought maybe he was a runway teen hooker or something, or that's where his story is going to go. Why is he just wondering around? Maybe he has drug problems or something?

Drugs.  He was walking/hitching to Patterson to see someone who can get him a prescription for oxy.

9 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

She's not one of the siblings who own the farm.  She's married to one of the siblings who own the farm.

Based on how outraged she was at her sister's $7.5 an hour for the job she was doing, I would say she has no idea.  And based on the episode's description in the press release (which is quoted in the first post of this thread), I'd say she will find out (I've quoted it again).

I meant the one at the meeting with the supermarket buyer of the produce.  She was with her brothers.  I know she told her workers to go out and get new workers however they could, but maybe she ends up with a conscious. 

1 hour ago, roughing it said:

Drugs.  He was walking/hitching to Patterson to see someone who can get him a prescription for oxy.

Yeah, in the promo advertising this season, I did see him and it looked like he was swallowing a pill. It looked like he was in one of those trailers. The guy who picked him and was trying to recruit him to work in the fields, is in the promo softly/calmly telling him he has to get himself together. 

On 3/13/2017 at 10:27 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, I now think it's set in Alamance County, NC. That's about 50 miles from me. I thought the way the migrant worker sought out NC seemed odd too. That's why I wonder if he's really who he appears to be. 

I wonder if he came to America looking for a relative who came here and disappeared.

On 3/13/2017 at 5:45 PM, BeatrixK said:

OK -- I'm totally in this season.

Yeah -- the unspoken 'yeah...migrant is kinda what we need but let's not say it' screamed as loud as the 'not Walmart but totally Walmart' big box corporation squeezing the small farm. (Expect More pay less...Bentonville....yeah...obvious who that was.)

Considering how topical illegal immigration is...I am very interested in this season, and I think it was a helluva good topic for them to pic, because this will be a very touchy subject for many folks -- it's just an ugly, inescapable truth of our economy and the American way of life:  WE don't get what we are used to without undocumented workers who are forced to work on the cheap. 

This should be a fascinating season.

I laughed out loud about the guy from Walmart (Bentonville) because I know a lot of people who work at the corporate office.  However, the director clearly doesn't know anyone from Walmart if they think they'd be sitting in such a nice office!  It's more like cubicle city.  But perhaps that suit guy worked for a distributor, not Walmart itself.  However, I hope they don't make it the "big bad company" since they are so nuanced about most other things.

I thought the young girl sitting out on the street did a great job.  The look on her face when Shae gave her food was heartbreaking.  Glad she had enough sense not to go with Shae and her "boyfriend". Speaking of which, so sad to see how much the young victims justify their pimps.

I really appreciated (enjoyed is not a word that applies to this show because it's so depressing!) the first 2 seasons and I think this one is good too.  However, I hate watching it on Sunday nights because it's a sad way to lead into the week, so I save it for later in the week.

• Love 2

Finally watched and I am hooked from episode 1! I love this show and was so excited it was renewed. I am happy Connor Jessup is back, I like him a lot. I thought we'd see more returning actors. There are 6 I know of so far (Connor, Timothy Hutton, Felicity Huffman, Regina King, Benito Martinez, Richard Cabral). I think Lili Taylor is returning also.

I find this a fascinating subject. I think we are in for another excellent season.

• Love 2
On 3/15/2017 at 0:47 PM, Lemons said:

I meant the one at the meeting with the supermarket buyer of the produce.  She was with her brothers.  I know she told her workers to go out and get new workers however they could, but maybe she ends up with a conscious. 

But what good will her getting a conscience do?  Until the industry changes and people are willing to pay I higher price for goods and services, this use of migrant workers will never change.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

But what good will her getting a conscience do?  Until the industry changes and people are willing to pay I higher price for goods and services, this use of migrant workers will never change.

They can't lower their prices by using slave labor so,they will have to figure out something.  Maybe they will have to look at other buyers, more trader joe type of stores, I don't know. More and more people are looking at where their food comes from, how it is grown, etc.   Now if we can only destroy Walmart...

On 3/18/2017 at 1:12 PM, nara said:

I thought the young girl sitting out on the street did a great job.  The look on her face when Shae gave her food was heartbreaking.  Glad she had enough sense not to go with Shae and her "boyfriend". Speaking of which, so sad to see how much the young victims justify their pimps.

I breathed such a sigh of relief when she said 'Nah, she was good.' You could see the wheels turning in her head, so tempted to go with Shae and then finally caution overruling desperation. I mean damn when you'd rather take your chances sitting out in the open...

• Love 1