Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Once Bitten

• Start Topic

In a lot of forums people say they hear a British actor's accent slipping through, but I rarely do, maybe because I watch British tv often.  It's usually an Aussie one I hear.  I must not watch much with Aussie accents because I still hear Olivia Newton John in Grease when I hear a woman with an Aussie accent, which is where my mind went with NK at various points in the therapy scene.  I think it's a gorgeous accent.  

17 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

And I had no idea she was wearing a wig!  

I think she looks like Kate Winslet too.  The eyes / nose combo.  I really like her and will look for her in other projects. She is so sensible.  It is refreshing. 

It was bugging me early on where I had seen her before, and then it hit me - she was the main character in Paranormal Activity 4.

1 hour ago, lovinbob said:

but I would feel better about this absolutely backwards portrayal of how a school would behave if SOMEONE, ANYONE would acknowledge that they screwed up and only enabled the likes of Renata and Madeline to act out their infantile dislike of each other using children as pawns.

THIS!!!! A million times over. This shouldn't be about Renata and Madeline, Madeline shouldn't even be involved. She knew Ziggy for what 10 minutes tops? And was certain it wasn't him. Even Jane isn't certain. I can understand Renata a little, though she is far too over the top in her reaction and is focusing on the wrong thing. She needs to be focusing on getting her child away from someone who is hurting her.

It bothered me when she refused to send Amabella to private school as hubby suggested because that would be letting the other side win or something. No, it would be getting your sweet little baby girl out of a situation that is actually dangerous for her. At least pull her out and get her a private tutor until that shit school she's in makes some serious effort to investigate what is going on behind their closed doors. It shouldn't be about winning or losing, it shouldn't be about a feud between the mothers. It should be about a little girl who is being hurt and finding out who is doing it and why because if it's a 6 year old, it's not necessarily too late to save them too.

I feel so badly for Amabella because she is so very tiny (great casting, that little girl is so small and fragile looking that I can see her being an easy target to a young bully) and no one seems to really care that this is happening to her so much as just pointing fingers everywhere.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I feel so badly for Amabella because she is so very tiny (great casting, that little girl is so small and fragile looking that I can see her being an easy target to a young bully) and no one seems to really care that this is happening to her so much as just pointing fingers everywhere.

I don't get the sense that the other characters really know the scope of what's happening to Amabella. Before this episode with the bite mark, Madeline and Celeste may have viewed what happened on the first day as an isolated incident. Even Jane didn't really know-the teacher said she thought Amabella might still be getting bullied, but she wasn't sure. I still agree with you that they should be more concerned about the kid than their mommy wars, but they don't know as much as we do so it's not quite as egregious as it seems.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, stagmania said:

I don't get the sense that the other characters really know the scope of what's happening to Amabella. Before this episode with the bite mark, Madeline and Celeste may have viewed what happened on the first day as an isolated incident. Even Jane didn't really know-the teacher said she thought Amabella might still be getting bullied, but she wasn't sure. I still agree with you that they should be more concerned about the kid than their mommy wars, but they don't know as much as we do so it's not quite as egregious as it seems.

To be honest, I don't think even we know much more. The choking on the first day looked like an isolated incident to us as viewers, as well, until the bite was found - the teacher's theory about bullying looked completely groundless in the last episode, spun out of nothing with no evidence to back it up.

I agree with everyone who has castigated the school in general and that teacher in particular, btw - they've handled everything horribly. And, I've worked with kids, who are always accusing one another of bullying, I've had to wade in and attempt to sort out all kinds of contretemps among them many times, I know it isn't easy when you've got this one saying this and that one saying that, but still. They are handling it horribly.

17 minutes ago, Llywela said:

To be honest, I don't think even we know much more. The choking on the first day looked like an isolated incident to us as viewers, as well, until the bite was found - the teacher's theory about bullying looked completely groundless in the last episode, spun out of nothing with no evidence to back it up.

Good point. The only reason we know something big is going on is because we're aware we're watching a tv show that is telegraphing an imminent reveal. ;)

Edited by stagmania
3 minutes ago, stagmania said:

Good point. The only reason we know something big is going on is because we're aware we're watching a tv show that is telegraphing an imminent reveal. ;)

Well, yeah. If a show makes this much of a fuss about something, it has to be building to some kind of plot twist or revelation. But I can't fault the mums for not taking much interest so far - as far as they know, there's not really a lot to take an interest in.

I think that's why it's so important to Renata for Gordon to agree with her.  She's not looking for permission to take Amabella to a therapist but for validation of her feelings that this is important.  The women are against her, she wants Gordon with her.  

7 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think that's why it's so important to Renata for Gordon to agree with her.  She's not looking for permission to take Amabella to a therapist but for validation of her feelings that this is important.  The women are against her, she wants Gordon with her.  

Totally, I absolutely understand Renata's concern - I just think she's expressing it horribly and alienating everyone in the process.

• Love 10

the teacher's theory about bullying looked completely groundless in the last episode, spun out of nothing with no evidence to back it up.

No, her evidence was actually that she saw them staring at one another during the sing-a-long in class that day, which is bullshit to me. Although, I do think a lot of these kids just based on growing up around their parents' bullshit drama all need therapists, so I didn't mind her suggestion. I just minded the accusation that preceded it. In other words, a therapist can hurt. But that was her evidence, the word of one six year old over another, and then the staring at one another in the classroom. Look, they both were staring at one another, it's not like Ziggy, a six year old, is going to have the frame of mind to think oh, this chick's mother threatened me, and therefore, I better avert my eyes away from her or else the teacher is going to think I really choked her. They're treating him like a damn felon and I don't like it. They both are sitting across from one another and we don't even know who started staring at who first. But this is what "teacher of the year" used as evidence. This school annoys me.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, scrb said:

AS doesn't need an accent coach.  Strange that his first language isn't English but he does better with accent than NK.

Facility with accents has less to do with your first language and more to do with what the French call "having an ear" for language. It's an innate talent for being able to reproduce the sounds. Like any skill, some can be taught to do it well, some can do it without training, and some can't for the life of them do it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Llywela said:

I agree with everyone who has castigated the school in general and that teacher in particular, btw - they've handled everything horribly. And, I've worked with kids, who are always accusing one another of bullying, I've had to wade in and attempt to sort out all kinds of contretemps among them many times, I know it isn't easy when you've got this one saying this and that one saying that, but still. They are handling it horribly.

If you worked at this school, would there be an outside investigation if Amabella ended up with a visible mark around her neck?

Or would it and at "He said, She said",  as someone suggested?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Facility with accents has less to do with your first language and more to do with what the French call "having an ear" for language. It's an innate talent for being able to reproduce the sounds. Like any skill, some can be taught to do it well, some can do it without training, and some can't for the life of them do it.

It also helps when you're exposed to languages at a young age and specific sounds and grammatical rules aren't as ingrained. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, dd21dd21 said:

o wow :(

if your attracted to Alexander Skargaard do not watch that movie lol

Definitely need to check out HBO's Generation Kill. He did that just before True Blood. I was Team Erik before there was a Team Erik.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It's interesting that I've found people from the Netherlands and surrounding countries to speak excellent English. They begin teaching it early in school but so do most developed countries, so I'm not sure why they do so well  

American schools are horrible at teaching languages. I think, since our country is in North America, with a big part of North America speaking Spanish, that the schools should teach Spanish beginning in kindergarten. 

2 hours ago, bella bluth said:

Nepotism isn't exclusive to the ladies, Alexander has a famous acting parent as well.

Tom hanks kid is an actor and he's like a mini Tom. 

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I can "mimic" back most accents quite well - like if someone says a sentence in a British or Scottish, I do a great job of mimicking it back and can sound like I was born in the UK. But I cannot for the life of me do ANY accent on my own with my own thoughts. If that makes sense. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, lmsweb said:

I can "mimic" back most accents quite well - like if someone says a sentence in a British or Scottish, I do a great job of mimicking it back and can sound like I was born in the UK. But I cannot for the life of me do ANY accent on my own with my own thoughts. If that makes sense. 

Makes a lot of sense to me. There a a lot of words I wouldn't necessarily know how it sounds in the particular accent (if I've never heard it) - which is what a coach comes in handy for, among other things.

51 minutes ago, Lemons said:

It's interesting that I've found people from the Netherlands and surrounding countries to speak excellent English. They begin teaching it early in school but so do most developed countries, so I'm not sure why they do so well  

It's because they subtitle foreign-language movies and TV shows, rather than dubbing over them - people hear a lot of English growing up. I grew up in Germany, close to the Dutch border, and we got a few Dutch TV channels. I watched all my favorite shows on the Dutch channels because I wanted to improve my English.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

If you worked at this school, would there be an outside investigation if Amabella ended up with a visible mark around her neck?

The question is not directed at me, but I'm a teacher and in my experience an outside investigation will only be conducted if a parent initiates it. A principal will try to keep it under wraps and try to appease a parent, usually by moving the child to another class.  Sometimes the parents involve campus outsiders (superintendent or school district police). These campus-outsiders will also try to keep it under wraps or within the school district. City police and/or local news stations are only involved IF the parent takes it there.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

It's because they subtitle foreign-language movies and TV shows, rather than dubbing over them - people hear a lot of English growing up. I grew up in Germany, close to the Dutch border, and we got a few Dutch TV channels. I watched all my favorite shows on the Dutch channels because I wanted to improve my English.

One of my teachers had told me that German was one of the easier languages to learn for Americans. I didn't believe her. How were the German schools in teaching English?

12 minutes ago, Lemons said:

One of my teachers had told me that German was one of the easier languages to learn for Americans. I didn't believe her. How were the German schools in teaching English?

German was the easiest of the various foreign languages I took when I was young.  Much easier for me to learn than Spanish, Portuguese, or French.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Lemons said:

It depends on the kind of school - the university prep one that I went to was pretty rigorous, the others less so. I did a lot on my own though since I wanted to become fluent in English. Watched un-dubbed movies and TV when possible, read original versions of books, etc.

Nepotism isn't exclusive to the ladies, Alexander has a famous acting parent as well.

Yeah, it's really kind of a bogus argument at this point. Plenty of famous actors have kids who want to act. Your legacy can only take you so far - at some point you have to do the work. As others have mentioned, Alexander Skarsgard and Laura Dern have famous parents, and yet they've earned their status as talented actors.

• Love 1

Amabella is kind of annoying.  I find it hard to believe she would stay mute and not confide in one of her parents.

As mentioned above, I also find Nicole Kidman's wig not quite right.  I hate those silly bangs covering up the fact that she's wearing a cheap hair piece. Isn't her real hair close enough to what that wig looks like.  No need for that distracting thing!

7 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

I don't work at a school, I volunteer at an after school club, but if a child appeared to have been injured and no one had seen what caused it, there certainly wouldn't be any kind of kangaroo court with everyone watching, the child would be taken aside, made to feel comfortable and secure, and questioned privately to find out who'd done it. If she couldn't or wouldn't name the aggressor, she'd be monitored closely thereafter. If she did name an aggressor, he or she would also be questioned privately and monitored closely thereafter. There would be private conversations with both sets of parents. The incident would definitely not be turned into a public circus the way it was in the show!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Lemons said:

American schools are horrible at teaching languages. I think, since our country is in North America, with a big part of North America speaking Spanish, that the schools should teach Spanish beginning in kindergarten.

I think one of the major reasons that a lot of American students aren't learning languages as well (or still have a noticeable American accent when speaking other languages) is because in a lot of school districts, dedicated foreign language classes aren't offered until much later. It is a lot easier to learn a language and pronounce it correctly the younger you are. The school district that I attended originally didn't allow students to take a language class until seventh grade and even then, they only offered Spanish. If you wanted to learn French or German, you had to wait until ninth grade. We were required to take only two years of foreign language in high school in order to graduate, so if you waited until ninth grade to start taking language classes, you only got the basics. If you started Spanish in seventh grade then by the time you graduated from high school, you would have four years of Spanish. I think it's a shame that kids aren't encouraged to learn languages sooner in the United States. Two of my coworkers were French and I was embarrassed to let them hear my terrible French.

14 hours ago, CKTV123 said:

Since when does a ball buster like Renata wait for permission or for her husband to even agree with her before doing what she feels she needs to for her child? Nope, she followed him into the john for a little afternoon delight. Interesting...

It really bothered me when she threw it in his face that he had sex with her at the office. That wasn't an either/or situation. You can fuck in the bathroom AND still have a conversation about taking your daughter to a therapist afterward. She's putting all the blame on him when she is perfectly capable of talking. She could have brought it up again at any time after they had sex. It's the same thing that people do when they're having a conversation and they have to take a phone call or their kid yells something from the other room. You postpone for now and continue the conversation later. If it's important to you, you will make an effort to finish having that discussion.  You don't say, "Well, that conversation was interrupted so I guess we'll just never speak of it again!" And considering what a bulldog she is with things like being mad at Madeline, we know that she has the tenacity to hang onto an issue like grim death, so if she really wanted to take Amabella to therapy then she should have brought it up again. It's not like his penis made her magically forget that she had this idea.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think one of the major reasons that a lot of American students aren't learning languages as well (or still have a noticeable American accent when speaking other languages) is because in a lot of school districts, dedicated foreign language classes aren't offered until much later. It is a lot easier to learn a language and pronounce it correctly the younger you are. The school district that I attended originally didn't allow students to take a language class until seventh grade and even then, they only offered Spanish. If you wanted to learn French or German, you had to wait until ninth grade. We were required to take only two years of foreign language in high school in order to graduate, so if you waited until ninth grade to start taking language classes, you only got the basics. If you started Spanish in seventh grade then by the time you graduated from high school, you would have four years of Spanish. I think it's a shame that kids aren't encouraged to learn languages sooner in the United States. Two of my coworkers were French and I was embarrassed to let them hear my terrible French.

It really bothered me when she threw it in his face that he had sex with her at the office. That wasn't an either/or situation. You can fuck in the bathroom AND still have a conversation about taking your daughter to a therapist afterward. She's putting all the blame on him when she is perfectly capable of talking. She could have brought it up again at any time after they had sex. It's the same thing that people do when they're having a conversation and they have to take a phone call or their kid yells something from the other room. You postpone for now and continue the conversation later. If it's important to you, you will make an effort to finish having that discussion.  You don't say, "Well, that conversation was interrupted so I guess we'll just never speak of it again!" And considering what a bulldog she is with things like being mad at Madeline, we know that she has the tenacity to hang onto an issue like grim death, so if she really wanted to take Amabella to therapy then she should have brought it up again. It's not like his penis made her magically forget that she had this idea.

Back to topic...

Yes she could have bought it up afterwards.

And then she should have taken her daughter to a psychiatrist no matter what. 

Renata is a woman of action that's why I don't get her inaction here.

Edited by mochamajesty
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

Renata is a woman of action that's why I don't get her inaction here.

Perhaps she subconsciously feels that taking her daughter to a psychiatrist is like admitting a failure on her own part--a failure to protect her child. It's a little unreasonable, but it might be hard for someone so successful to feel like she couldn't help Amabella herself.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My brother got the linguistic gene in my family.  I, on the other hand, am this: "...and some can't for the life of them do it."

• Love 2
7 hours ago, bagatelle said:

Amabella is kind of annoying.  I find it hard to believe she would stay mute and not confide in one of her parents.

She seems more sad to me than annoying. I believe it when Renata says Amabella internalizes. I don't know if she talks to anyone about how she's really feeling. She did tell her mother she was sad about some people coming to her birthday party. But overall, the kid seems really down. I hesitate to diagnose her with depression, though. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, nara said:

Perhaps she subconsciously feels that taking her daughter to a psychiatrist is like admitting a failure on her own part--a failure to protect her child. It's a little unreasonable, but it might be hard for someone so successful to feel like she couldn't help Amabella herself.

Ok, but it's not about her or how she feels.  And she really isn't helping Amabella at this point - the violence is escalating.

They didn't even take her to doctor.  I truly don't get it.

• Love 1

Ok, but it's not about her or how she feels.  And she really isn't helping Amabella at this point - the violence is escalating.

They didn't even take her to doctor.  I truly don't get it.

First I thought Gordon's approach was really good parenting.  He knows this is a child that has empathy would speak to save someone else.  Unfortunately Renata was still in the middle of her little hissy fit.

But this bite broke the skin!  Doctor please!  If it was a dog she would have been at the office.  A bite from a human is just as bad.  Really have a hard time with how this is being handled.  In this day and age can this stuff really happen at schools?

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Ina123 said:

My brother got the linguistic gene in my family.  I, on the other hand, am this: "...and some can't for the life of them do it."

My mother (Austrian) was great with learning languages, but accents, not so much. My daughter and I, on the other hand, have the ear.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It depends on the kind of school - the university prep one that I went to was pretty rigorous, the others less so. I did a lot on my own though since I wanted to become fluent in English. Watched un-dubbed movies and TV when possible, read original versions of books, etc.

I went to one year of realschule (not the university prep) in Germany when I was 14. There the language classes weren't much different than the American ones. The English teacher would call on me whenever we had inspectors - which I found amusing because otherwise she disliked me. (to be fair, she had her reasons, I was quite the little shit to her - but loved my other teachers). My theory is that Europeans learn a little more easily partly because they hear so many different languages - their neighbors are much closer (on the whole) and television from other countries (especially now).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

Someone mentioned Amabella was good casting.  I think all the children are good which says something about the director.  I do think Chloe talks much older than a 6-7 year old.  Way to wise and sassy.  She is funny and has good timing/delivery but she sounds at least two years older than Amabella.  Plus her eye rolls and ennui.  

Imdb  doesn't give their ages.  The actress playing Amabella must be at least 8.  Imdb said she acted with Robin Williams at age 6.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

Someone mentioned Amabella was good casting.  I think all the children are good which says something about the director.  I do think Chloe talks much older than a 6-7 year old.  Way to wise and sassy.  She is funny and has good timing/delivery but she sounds at least two years older than Amabella.  Plus her eye rolls and ennui.  

Imdb  doesn't give their ages.  The actress playing Amabella must be at least 8.  Imdb said she acted with Robin Williams at age 6.

Yeah, I'd put all the children at a good couple of years older than their characters - the twins look oldest, to me, but none of them look six. I get the difficulties involved with casting children, though, so am willing to suspend disbelief.

Chloe is incredibly precocious, but I have known kids every bit as precocious at the same age, so I can still buy it.

That was one change from the book that's been mentioned in the media - making the kids first graders rather than kindergartners.  

You'd think too the school would consider that her injuries happened at home and start to wonder if it might be something they need to report to CPS.  Though I guess with parents of this stature, the school is more likely to take the parents word and to fear pissing them off.

Oh god, I hope it's not Gordon hurting her.  I've been assuming it's the nanny.  If it's Gordon that might explain his trying to discourage therapy.  That might be too sick for this story.  

1 hour ago, QuinnM said:

Doctor please!  If it was a dog she would have been at the office.  A bite from a human is just as bad.  Really have a hard time with how this is being handled.  In this day and age can this stuff really happen at schools?

Just came here to say the same thing, QuinnM. If Amabella were my kid, she'd have been at the pediatrician's office asap. Skin-eating bacteria, anyone?

• Love 3
22 hours ago, CKTV123 said:

I think those are Renata's shoes. The teacher is indeed too mousy and blah to wear anything like that. And speaking of shoes, I re-watched a couple episodes last night and noticed that they keep showing Gordon in full shots head to toe like they are trying to get all of him in. Normally he wears casual shoes - flip flops or sporty type shoes. This plus the zeroing in on the fancy dress shoes at Jane's assault has me wondering if they aren't trying to tell us something.  I can't recall seeing Ed or Nathan in a full body shot with their shoes not hidden behind a table or a kitchen island. And Perry is Mr. Businessman so of course he wears dress shoes but they don't always show them in every shot. I could be way way way off.  

I noted the husbands' shoes in the Speculations without Spoilers thread.  The episode where Renata and Gordon did it in the bathroom showed each husband's shoes in various shots throughout the episode.

10 hours ago, bagatelle said:

As mentioned above, I also find Nicole Kidman's wig not quite right.  I hate those silly bangs covering up the fact that she's wearing a cheap hair piece. Isn't her real hair close enough to what that wig looks like.  No need for that distracting thing!

Thank you!  I have felt that way since Ep 1 and the first time we saw her.  I immediately got a "somethings not right with that kid" feeling.  Am I the only one?

• Love 3

If it's Gordon hurting her, that could also help explain her silence to them.  Or the nanny, for that matter.  An adult would know what to tell a kid to scare her from telling.  Though a crafty kid might, too.  

I don't get any feeling from her except that she's playing shy and intimidated.  

I think it's a kid attacking Amabella. Those teeth marks were pretty tiny. She doesn't react to either parent as if they are physically hurting her, she's just very withdrawn. I'm sure whoever is doing it is making her afraid to say anything either through threats or just being bigger, stronger and meaner.

I'm wondering if the look between her and Ziggy was because he knows what's happening. Maybe he's watching out for her, or trying to but the teacher is interpreting it wrong. I got the impression from the "bad touch" scene a few eps ago, that they might kind of like each other in that 1st grader kind of way. Ziggy also gives me the impression he would be a "white knight" type. Not sure why, exactly, he just does.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

That was one change from the book that's been mentioned in the media - making the kids first graders rather than kindergartners.  

You'd think too the school would consider that her injuries happened at home and start to wonder if it might be something they need to report to CPS.  Though I guess with parents of this stature, the school is more likely to take the parents word and to fear pissing them off.

Oh god, I hope it's not Gordon hurting her.  I've been assuming it's the nanny.  If it's Gordon that might explain his trying to discourage therapy.  That might be too sick for this story.  

That bite mark was a child's mouth, not an adult so I think we can rule the Nanny and Gordon out.

• Love 5

I've noticed Kidman's Australian accent coming out, which was strange to me, because I've seen her play so many American characters without her native accent showing at all. It makes me suspect it was intentional.

And I agree with those who find that these kids seem too old to be first-graders. It isn't just the way they look.

It would be one thing if it was just Chloe that acted a lot older than her age - I get that she's supposed to be freakishly precocious (although I'm not buying her encyclopedic knowledge of music, period, no matter how precocious she's supposed to be.)

But it's not just her. Ziggy doesn't talk like a six-year-old, either. That "Damn it, just give me a name, woman!" freakout (or however he phrased it) was especially unbelievable.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, JBC344 said:

German was the easiest of the various foreign languages I took when I was young.  Much easier for me to learn than Spanish, Portuguese, or French.

FWIW, my dad took German in HS because he grew up speaking Yiddish, so it was an easy A for him.

On the subject of Shailene Woodley, I think she's doing a decent job. The part that really hit me watching this episode is that she's definitely grown up to the point where she couldn't play a believable teenager again. 

• Love 4
On 3/19/2017 at 7:03 PM, PreviouslyTV said:

And should she take those creepy twins with her? Let's explore this and more questions about 'Once Bitten'!

View the full article

"Joseph doesn't pose a threat to anything but good taste and actual, quality theatre."

I wanna meet the author at the Blue Blue but I'm afraid spraying latte would cause a scene. 

I just saw little amabelle in a commercial. She has a very distinct face, not generically cute like most kids. Yikes, she must have some type of stage mother, amabelle's a little worker bee!

• Love 2