Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Once Bitten

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, pbutler111 said:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Perry turns out to be both the rapist and our mystery murder victim, with Celeste as the killer.

This is where I'm going at the present moment, even if it is also the most likely scenario. If Perry is the rapist, though, it's odd that Jane doesn't remember how tall he is. Skarsgard always comes across as toweringly tall, even more so than some other guys who are 6'4".

• Love 3

In regard to Nicole Kidman, Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise, I think $cientology is what ruined those marriages. I think when he was with Nicole, he started distancing himself and then Miscavige came in upped the brainwashing. Reading Leah Remini's book sheds some light on that cray cray.

In the mid/late-90s I had an adjustable desk. The big buzzword was 'ergonomic' so everyone was getting wrist rests for their keyboards and the adjustable desk was also a biggie. 

Count me in on Team Black Leggings for when I exercise. :D

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Razzberry said:

Is the dead rodent a red herring?

big5eee.jpg

I'm not sure, but isn't abuse toward animals as a child a trait that's often noted in adult sociopaths?

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Emme said:

I'm not sure, but isn't abuse toward animals as a child a trait that's often noted in adult sociopaths?

It looks like it was ran over, although I can barely look at it, so I'm not sure

One thing that bugged me, did Jane have a gun in bed with her?  If she is still that twitchy after 5 or 6 years, she needs to seek help.  She is putting her child at risk with that gun. 

• Love 7

The stand up/sit down table isn't new. This is what I worked at in the 70s during my drafting days. They were called Auto-shifts and they were way damn heavy.

desk.JPG

Edited by Ina123
  • Love 4

It is so hard to resist ordering this book to find out the mystery!

Anyhow, again, I have viewed it once and my impressions are that deep inside Celeste knows she is going to leave him. His attacks are becoming more frequent and escalating. He is turned on by hurting her. This is not about passion. The line that Jane says to the principal in her head that "the only thing I know about Ziggy's father is that he gets off on asphyxiation while he rapes women" and then showing Celeste being choked later on was a red flag for me. Celeste covers her bruises with dermablend like she is applying perfume or adjusting her sunglasses.

I feel so badly for Ziggy. I am pretty convinced he is entirely innocent. Jane is so traumatized. She really needs help. I am worried she will be suicidal.

Maddie did kind of try with Ed (spontaneous house sex....) --I think like many couples with a young child, they get into a roommate rut. Thus the bathroom overshare. Geez Ed.

The accident, really weird how that happened in a parking lot although locally a 3 year old was killed in a parking lot while being walked to the car holding hands with her dad-- so that kind of stuff does happen. Maddie should probably quit that job. She can't be around this guy so much. It makes him a little nuts, he 's stalking. She is embarrassed and ashamed about having an affair. I thought she was smarter, never shit where you eat.

• Love 2

If I live to be 1000 I will never be able to get inside the head of someone like Celeste who stays with a violent abuser. I know it's a deep, complicated psychological issue and blah blah blah but I just don't care. It's all very complex and fascinating and yet - I just don't get it. I never will. I don't really have any sympathy for her.

Isn't it a little too obvious for Perry to be the rapist? 

Well I certainly hope he's not because that would be the epitome of soap-opera tropes, right up there with evil twins and amnesia. I'd like to think this story is a little smarter than that. So far it's really nothing more than an in-depth character study of disparate yet intertwined relationships.

You know what else I'd like to see dialed back?  Laura Dern's acting.  Never a big fan, but all her arm flailing and "look at me! I'm emoting anger" isn't working for me.  The Renata character should be outraged and angry and concerned (I would be in same situation), but Dern's acting seems over the top IMO.

The problem is that she's such a drama queen it's making the whole situation with her daughter somewhat implausible, because the teacher should be quietly taking Jane aside and telling her the problem is Renata, not Amabella or Ziggy. There's really no escaping the fact that Renata is somewhat unhinged about this whole thing. She's the one they should be sending to therapy, not Ziggy. I think Dern's acting is just fine for the way the character is written, but the the writing is someone lacking nuance here. She's just too 2-dimensional and cartoonish.

I do think that Jane should be stronger, too.   In the meeting with Renata she seemed so passive.  It's almost as if Jane has doubts, too.

She does have doubts, because she knows Ziggy's father is a violent rapist and worries her son may be a "bad seed."

• Love 6

I feel so badly for Ziggy. I am pretty convinced he is entirely innocent. Jane is so traumatized. She really needs help. I am worried she will be suicidal.

Me too, he's adorable, and he's a sweet kid, poor thing. He comes off as trying/having to be more mature and shoulder some of the pain that he clearly knows his mother is feeling with regard to his father. He shouldn't have to do that. He and Maddie's daughter both come off as older than their years, but Maddie's daughter doesn't seem like she's trying to manage  any stressful situations that are going on in her household because of her parents. She's just a hoot that little girl, cool personality.

I hope Jane gets some professional help because jogging to that cliff repeatedly, listening to rage against the machine music and lastly and most horrifically, sleeping with a loaded gun tucked underneath her pillow, isn't cutting it. Worst, her son is sleeping right beside her and she freaking out and reaching for that gun because he's snoring and she forgot he was in her bed.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 12
15 hours ago, Muffyn said:

There were so many ways she tried to make it sound like it wasn't abuse even while it was clear that she remembers bruises (may even currently have some), knows he hits her, remembers being strangled, . . . .

She was shown covering her bruises with makeup on stick (? -- a male poster here ;) ) right before her appointment with the therapist

15 hours ago, stagmania said:

I'm starting to think the obvious may be where it's at. I prefer a resolution that tracks with everything we've seen over something out of left field just for the sake of a crazy twist.

Timeline: if Perry is in fact Jane's rapist, that would mean he was out date raping women in that time period of fertility struggles during which Celeste thinks he was so devoted and wonderful, the root of her unwillingness to leave him. That's so fucking tragic that I think it must be true.

Agreed with obvious route.
As for Perry, the sadist in me thinks Celeste's 3 miscarriages were direct results of Perry's abuse (shoving her or punching her).  By the time she was carrying twins, Perry toned down the abuse on Celeste (since he needed kids to trap Celeste) but acted his abuse on random women to "compensate"

• Love 14

don't doubt that perhaps she had some fertility issues. Perry travels a lot. He could easily tell her he was away somewhere else for business and be up the coast hooking up with women and then terrorizing and raping them. For Ziggy, all it would take is a DNA test.  If the twins are a few months older than Ziggy, it could happen. I plead Occam's Razor with this one. The camera lingering on the bartender guy-- maybe he was a witness to the two of them meeting? I don't see him in the interviews with the police.

Good call on Jane's " asphyxiation " comment . Sure seems like  Perry asphyxiating Celeste during rough sex must be connected to that. Very interesting to think about the possibility that Perry was off getting his violent rocks off during Celeste's twin pregnancy. Just imagine how devastating it would be for her if she ends up connecting the dots on that scenario...

Renata is obnoxious but, if a kid was hurting my child at school, my Mama Bear would be activated as well. However, I'd like to think my child would feel they could discuss it with me. Poor Annabelle. 

I was surprised to see how relieved Nathan seemed to see that Madeline was alright after the accident. It warmed my heart towards Ed when he sprinted to Maddie's bedside in the ER! 

• Love 6

In a clear parallel to Celeste's unwillingness to confront the truth about Perry's abusive, violent nature we are seeing Amabella unwilling to name her tormentor. She is undoubtedly feeling shame, as well as fear, just like Celeste. I'd lay money on one or both of the twin's being the bully/abuser. Celeste is in deep denial to ignore the consequences of the fighting to have had no effect on her kids.

The show is pretty addictive! Fascinating from the first episode. I find my feelings about the characters changing frequently.

Edited by Stella
  • Love 13
23 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

She was shown covering her bruises with makeup on stick (? -- a male poster here ;) ) right before her appointment with the therapist

Agreed with obvious route.
As for Perry, the sadist in me thinks Celeste's 3 miscarriages were direct results of Perry's abuse (shoving her or punching her).  By the time she was carrying twins, Perry toned down the abuse on Celeste (since he needed kids to trap Celeste) but acted his abuse on random women to "compensate"

LOL @ makeup on a stick - I believe that was concealer.

I am loving the theory (not the actions, of course) of raping other women to 'compensate'.   Gosh, if true what a monster.

Just now, Stella said:

In a clear parallel to Celeste's unwillingness to confront the truth about Perry's abusive, violent nature we are seeing Amabella unwilling to name her tormentor. She is undoubtedly feeling shame, as well as fear, just like Celeste. I'd lay money on one or both of the twin's being the bully/abuser. Celeste is in deep denial to ignore the consequences of the fighting to have had no effect on her kids.

The show is pretty addictive! Fascinating from the first episode. I find my feelings about the characters changing and

No, not just like Celeste.

To deliberately (if Ziggy is innocent) lie about your abuser's identity, knowing that that the kid would get in trouble?  No parallel at all.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

If I live to be 1000 I will never be able to get inside the head of someone like Celeste who stays with a violent abuser. I know it's a deep, complicated psychological issue and blah blah blah but I just don't care. It's all very complex and fascinating and yet - I just don't get it. I never will. I don't really have any sympathy for her.

In one abuse survivors support group I am in, it's likened to a frog in a pan full of water -- you can put the frog in a boiling pot, and frog immediately jumps out, because there is a shock to the system from the immediate change that says 'too hot, dangerous, react.'

You put a frog in a pot of room temperature water, and slowly bring it up to a boil, THEN the frog becomes so accustomed to the gradual increase in temperature that they will get killed, since the escalation to danger is so gradual that the nerves 'adust', regardless of whether or not they are actually adjusting to something dangerous.

Oh -- and, for the record...I would stone cold murder someone if it meant I could get Maddy's black floral cardigan.  I loved that.

• Love 22
23 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

LOL @ makeup on a stick - I believe that was concealer.

I'm pretty sure it was actually Dermablend, which is professional level coverage - makeup artists use it to cover tattoos, so it can definitely hide bruises and discolored skin better than a run of the mill concealer.

ETA: you can see before/after photos of a model with tattoos on his face and torso covered with Dermablend here.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, BeatrixK said:

Oh -- and, for the record...I would stone cold murder someone if it meant I could get Maddy's black floral cardigan.  I loved that.

I had a sweater like that years ago. Almost identical. I didn't know they were making a comeback. 

1 hour ago, Emme said:

It is my understanding that psychopaths are violent with such tendencies.  Hence the movie title "American Psycho".  These are the killers, rapists, etc.  When you watch a show like Criminal Minds, these are about psychopaths, not sociopaths.

Sociopaths are far more frequently found in everyday life; at your work, maybe even in your family, etc.: they have no problem hurting someone's feelings or 'stepping over people' to get ahead, they show a lack of morals, empathy etc. but I don't think this term is usually used for the violent.  Sure, some might be, but I believe most aren't.

It was funny to see Maddie in those jeans and knee high caramel leather boots -- that is uncannily how Reese dresses in her every day life (I frequent a fashion board.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was funny to see Maddie in those jeans and knee high caramel leather boots -- that is uncannily how Reese dresses in her every day life (I frequent a fashion board.)

I've read that Reese often puts in her contract she gets to keep her production wardrobes.

• Love 3

I've read that Reese often puts in her contract she gets to keep her production wardrobes.

Both Reese and Nicole have their own costumer listed in the credits.  I notice that every article of clothing that Celeste wears look like it has never even seen the dry cleaners.  That new finish that sweaters have etc.

• Love 2

gofugyourself.com? 

me too! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

She is low(er) class than the rest of the ladies, yes.  That was made clearer in episode one.

Yes.

Just because Saxon Banks is a real person does not mean that Perry did not rape her.

Just as Madeline saw his picture and name online, Perry could have done the same. Or met him through work (do we know what Perry does?).  Or the gym. Or tennis. 

The funny thing is, if someone has a really unusual first name -- like Saxon -- and a very common last name -- like Baker -- if they're going to give a phony name, is the first name they'd change,  not the last name, unless they're a total moron.  A guy named Saxon Baker giving his name as Saxon Banks is easily tracked down.  A guy named Saxon Baker giving his name as John Baker will never be found.

• Love 6

I have just read through everyone's posts and the comments about the fact that Celeste might be hiding her seeing the therapist (by herself) unbeknownst to her abusive husband. I don't think she could 'get away' with that. Men who like that kind of control also like to keep a firm eye on finances as it limits their partners ability to do things without checking with him first (like fleeing the situation). He would question the payments made on sessions that he did not accompany her to. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Jane always wears the same outfit while jogging.  LOL.  Somebody's going to come out and say they do the same but to me it's funny.

As long as she washes the outfit between jogs, I do not have problem with it :D

3 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Jane hasn't met Perry right? She hasn't laid eyes on him right? I think I've only seen Maddie in his presence while visiting Celeste.

No she has not.  Out of the 3 husbands tall enough to be the rapist, she already met Nathan (1st ep) and Gordon (this ep)

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have just read through everyone's posts and the comments about the fact that Celeste might be hiding her seeing the therapist (by herself) unbeknownst to her abusive husband. I don't think she could 'get away' with that. Men who like that kind of control also like to keep a firm eye on finances as it limits their partners ability to do things without checking with him first (like fleeing the situation). He would question the payments made on sessions that he did not accompany her to. 

But she lied to him about attending the sessions.  Last episode, she said that she was going to a meeting about the play, when no such meeting existed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Emme said:

There wasn't any suggestion that any human, adult or child, actually, purposely killed the squirrel.  It looks to me like the kids just found a dead animal (he's kind of flat, suggesting roadkill) and were being curious about it.

• Love 10
Just now, mochamajesty said:

But she lied to him about attending the sessions.  Last episode, she said that she was going to a meeting about the play, when no such meeting existed.

She was also able to get away with the latest meeting with the therapist, because Perry was out of town on business.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

The funny thing is, if someone has a really unusual first name -- like Saxon -- and a very common last name -- like Baker -- if they're going to give a phony name, is the first name they'd change,  not the last name, unless they're a total moron.  A guy named Saxon Baker giving his name as Saxon Banks is easily tracked down.  A guy named Saxon Baker giving his name as John Baker will never be found.

Well, we don't know that Baker is the name given either do we?

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm pretty sure it was actually Dermablend, which is professional level coverage - makeup artists use it to cover tattoos, so it can definitely hide bruises and discolored skin better than a run of the mill concealer.

ETA: you can see before/after photos of a model with tattoos on his face and torso covered with Dermablend here.

Oh, so it was makeup on a stick?  Okay, thanks! :)

• Love 9

There are a couple of therapists commenting on this thread.  Do they ever arrange to be paid quietly under the table in an abuse situation.  If Perry finds out that Celeste has been seeing the therapist alone, that could spark the final explosion.  If a box of Legos can instigate a savage beating, imagine his reaction to secret therapy sessions.

• Love 4

There are a couple of therapists commenting on this thread.  Do they ever arrange to be paid quietly under the table in an abuse situation.  If Perry finds out that Celeste has been seeing the therapist alone, that could spark the final explosion.  If a box of Legos can instigate a savage beating, imagine his reaction to secret therapy sessions.

I would hope the therapist would have thought to offer that to Celeste, or told her "just bring me the cash when you can".  Of course he probably keeps track of every dime she spends. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Frisson said:

I need everyone in a serous emotional situation to STOP driving when they are upset. They showed so many scenes of these characters getting in the car while highly upset/distracted, which is so dangerous for everyone on the road, which was suggested in the Maddie/theater guy accident, except they kept blaming their distraction on a young, possible texter.

I thought that was done purposely to make the viewer anxious throughout, bracing for another impact.  I was.  I thought it was a good tactic.  

4 hours ago, vibeology said:

Does she? I know Renata does but I don't remember seeing a Nanny and I have a hard time believing that Perry would let someone else into their house that frequently considering his abuse and need to control.

I liked the theory that Renata's nanny is Amabella's bully.

44 minutes ago, BeatrixK said:

Reese has her own clothing/fashion company-- Draper James.  It wouldn't surprise me if she's using those clothes, as marketing.  I'll check the credits next time.  I think her clothes on the show are cuter, though, and probably from a more expensive designer.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Kidman's accent coming out so much in the therapy scenes.  I rarely notice that but it was bugging me.  I'd be believing this was abused-in-denial Celeste and then it'd be "Oh, there's Kidman.  Wonder how Keith feels about this story?"

I loved that there was a big sign "Bully Free Zone" in the principal's office right in the middle of the scene with the Klein's barging in and bullying everyone into having the meeting.  

7 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I would hope the therapist would have thought to offer that to Celeste, or told her "just bring me the cash when you can".  Of course he probably keeps track of every dime she spends. 

She didn't hesitate to spend thousands on the suit she bought for her meeting with the mayor, and she didn't try to hide it from  him.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I was so confused when they showed a just a frame of some young kids kneeling over a dead squirrel(?). I thought that maybe Amabella had been bitten by a rabid rodent! Those flashbacks/montages makes it difficult for me to decipher what the hell is imagined and what is "real."

I thought it was an animal Ziggy had killed or been accused of killing

3 hours ago, MaryWebGirl said:

I agree that they've done OK showing that Jane doesn't have the kind of money everyone else does until last night when she had a crapton of joints! Although I suppose I could fanwank that she does the books for a grow-op or dispensary and they pay her in product.

I think that's possibly a real explanation of why she is able to live in that neighborhood and do nothing but run and drink coffee all day.

• Love 1

My God, this episode was an emotional rollercoaster. The terrible, silent juxtaposition between Celeste whispering, "We made love," and the deathly quiet image of Perry repeatedly hitting her made me literally cry for these people in a way the book never did.

I find I care less and less about Jane's story; she was sort of all over the place here. She's being stretched to a breaking point, and instead of feeling invested in the outcome, I kind of pull away. It didn't seem to me to be very in-character for her to be so unsubtle about the office visit to Saxon Baker. She's beginning to feel her own power here, and it's been a real joy to watch; but this seemed like too much, too soon -- even for someone who's BFFs with Maddy.

Speaking of which, Maddy is easily my favorite. And Ed is right up there with her. That terrible boredom that strikes, that desperate need to feel something, anything, to stir up controversy and court disaster at every turn -- it's so real. I think Ed absolutely knows about Joseph, but loves Maddy both in spite of and because of the very traits that lead her to make these colossally-bad decisions.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, stagmania said:

I'm starting to think the obvious may be where it's at. I prefer a resolution that tracks with everything we've seen over something out of left field just for the sake of a crazy twist.

Timeline: if Perry is in fact Jane's rapist, that would mean he was out date raping women in that time period of fertility struggles during which Celeste thinks he was so devoted and wonderful, the root of her unwillingness to leave him. That's so fucking tragic that I think it must be true.

Yes, that would finally be the nail in the coffin for her denial, and I agree about preferring resolutions that track. I think Perry's the rapist (there's a reason we never saw his face and Jane can't clearly remember it), and the twins are the abusers, probably threatening Amabelle with killing if she tells. The scene of three children poking at a dead rabbit/squirrel (not sure which) were probably Amabelle and the two boys -- the boys may have killed it, or used it to illustrate what will happen to her if she tells. Which is why she pointed the finger at the boy she didn't know at all on the first day, there was no one else to finger because she knew all the other kids.

Jane seemed on the brink of a hysterical breakdown, very unstable and not a little scary. I don't think she shot the guy, despite the closed captions saying [gunshot] when she ran out of the building.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 2

thought it was an animal Ziggy had killed or been accused of killing

To me, It looked like a squirrel that had been run over by a car and the kids were poking it with a stick.  

She didn't hesitate to spend thousands on the suit she bought for her meeting with the mayor, and she didn't try to hide it from  him

Oh I didn't recall her saying that was new.   Buying clothes wouldn't be as big a deal as going to the therapist without him. Perry would see that as another example of betrayal, telling the therapist personal stuff without him there to defend himself or give his half assed excuse for his behavior. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

gofugyourself.com? 

me too! 

The Fashion Spot forums :)  Reese has AMAZING candid personal style.  She's always so perfectly put together.

I still love Reese so much in this role.

And I've watched so many movies, TV where the wife of the Director would DEFINITELY confront Maddie and say something along the lines of, "Oh, hey, Maddie, are you HAPPY WITH YOURSELVES?" or something to let Maddie know that she knows about the affair :)  LOL it was funny that no such confrontation occurred, which I expected very strongly!

You would think that a savvy therapist's office would be able to disguise the name of the office billing you, kind of like when people purchase cable porn at a hotel (or so I think from the movies - LOL).

If anyone cares about Perry's finances, from the book:

Book Perry is painted as so insanely wealthy that he would not miss thousands of dollars gone.  As a way of 'acting out' against Perry, Celeste would spend more and more of his money -- usually on charitable donations -- until the amounts were so wild that he'd finally notice and MAYBE ask something.  But Book Perry is painted as somebody who loves when his wife spends his money, even frivolously.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

thought it was an animal Ziggy had killed or been accused of killing

To me, It looked like a squirrel that had been run over by a car and the kids were poking it with a stick.  

She didn't hesitate to spend thousands on the suit she bought for her meeting with the mayor, and she didn't try to hide it from  him

Oh I didn't recall her saying that was new.   Buying clothes wouldn't be as big a deal as going to the therapist without him. Perry would see that as another example of betrayal, telling the therapist personal stuff without him there to defend himself or give his half assed excuse for his behavior. 

Well the clothes were in the original garment bag, and Perry was pissed about those too.

And if she has not worked since the kids were born ( or before) it makes since thay she would buy a new outfit.

And anything is liable to set Perry off so whether it is clothes orntherapy anything that she does without letting him know is risking a beatdown.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

There was conversation about it being a new outfit, and Perry took a look at the price tag, which was hefty.  He wasn't thrilled, but it didn't really become a thing.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Renata and Gordon are officially the worst. They find a bite mark on their daughter and their reactions were to (1) scream at Amabella that she's being bullied and that this is upsetting her mommy and then (2) guilt trip her into telling them who it is because she so kind and she wouldn't want the perpetrator to hurt someone else who is innocent, implying that Amabella is somehow guilty.

I know, right. So far as we've seen (on camera), the only ones bullying Amabella are Renata and the teacher. Though after seeing that nasty bite mark on Amabella's shoulder (I didn't see any broken skin though), I started wondering - when does it stop being bullying and start being straight up assault? Also, if the squirrel flashback is meant to be the moment before she was bitten - then Amabella's not the only one keeping the secret of who's hurting her. And maybe others, with less vigilant parents, are being hurt as well.

8 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

The volume of the music in this show needs to be dialed back.  Yes, music adds to the emotion/pacing of a show, but when it is blaring at "11" it takes me out of the story while I scramble for the remote to turn it down.

Reveal hidden contents

A few episodes ago, Jane said the name of her rapist is "Saxon Banks", Celeste had no reaction.  In the book, Celeste knows who Saxon Banks is!  I can't remember in the book if Jane or Maddy ever says the name to Celeste before the Audrey/Elvis party, so I thought it was odd in this show they had Jane say his name in front of Celeste at this early stage.

My daughter came in from a different room during the final montage and said "what the hell is that noise?" LOL.

7 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Yes she definitely got the trickiest role and is giving a master class in acting.   I have a friend who is trying to get up the nerve to get out of a loveless marriage, no abuse or anything, just realization her husband has no desire to be a father to her daughter , or a husband. He only wants to work come home late and get drunk.  She blames herself for him being a drunk. 

She's watching BLL and I'm terrified she's seeing Celeste hanging onto her marriage and thinking, well at least I don't have it this bad.

Or maybe, hopefully, she'll see how Celeste lies to herself to keep from moving forward, and will take it as an object lesson. I hope so.

3 hours ago, vibeology said:

You're right! I'd forgotten about that scene. It only makes me wonder more where have all the nannies gone?

That could be a folk song, or the teaser for a horror film. :)

The constant flashes - flash backs, flash forwards(?), and fantasy flashes bugged the heck out of me during this episode.

When Madeline went with the theater guy to be driven elsewhere, I thought - never let yourself be taken to a secondary location! Usually that's advice for someone being abducted by a stranger, but I think it works for an unstable paramour.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

There was conversation about it being a new outfit, and Perry took a look at the price tag, which was hefty.  He wasn't thrilled, but it didn't really become a thing.

I think Perry was more upset that she was working.  If Celeste had bought a new gown for Perry to show her off at a gala or something, I doubt he would care.

• Love 12

Yeah it's not realistic that Jane, without steady full-time work, would be able to afford to live among people with multimillion dollar oceanfront homes.

But when has that ever deterred movies and TV shows from taking license.

Remember, the audience for the show is HBO so they're going to show gorgeous homes, because the audience is familiar with that kind of wealth or aspires to.

If the men and women here were working-class people, maybe working retail and factory jobs, you wouldn't have the same kind of school drama and the domestic abuse story line would be more gritty and she wouldn't be able to hire the bruises.

Though with upper middle class or upper class people like these characters, you wonder if they're as hyperemotional as Renata or even Madeline to a certain extent.  Not to say affluent people don't get emotional but they're usually better at concealing it, especially in public.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

Well the clothes were in the original garment bag, and Perry was pissed about those too.

I came here to say what Ms Blue Jay said. Perry was pissed because he didn't like the idea of Celeste going back to work. To him, work means that she is independent and she might realize that she can leave him and stand on her own two feet. Yes, if it were a gown, he'd have been pleased because it's a feather in his cap that he can buy her whatever she (really HE) wants and make all the others think he is such a successful businessman. My ex used to buy me gold chains in every length possible and wanted me to wear them to parties, receptions, celebrations, etc. I'd end up looking like Mr. T but I went along, just to shut him up.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Remember, the audience for the show is HBO so they're going to show gorgeous homes, because the audience is familiar with that kind of wealth or aspires to.

I used to think that HBO was a niche thing too but the stat is that 50 million subscribers (Worldwide?) or 36% of US households subscribe to HBO so I have a feeling it's not always wealthy or even wealthy aspiring people.

Link to source:  

https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-Americans-receive-HBO

Konstantinos Konstantinides, EE. Was technical marketing manager for smart TVs

Written Apr 28, 2016

HBO has about 49 Million subscribers

Number of HBO subscribers in the U.S. 2015 | Statistic

The US has about 318,857,056 people or about 133,957,180 households. So, about 36% of all US households have access to HBO.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I had an adjustable desk at work and got one for home too and most of the days, I stand up at the computer.

There were some articles a couple of years ago about how sitting for hour after hour, day after day is suppose to be bad for you.  They even said an hour of exercise a day didn't offset the effects of sitting for so long on a daily basis.

They even suggest you get up at least once an hour and walk around a few minutes.  Fitness devices like the Apple Watch can be set to pester you to periodically move around.

The research isn't the clear cut.  Even standing all day isn't necessarily that much better than sitting all day.  Key is moving around, as well as exercise of course.