Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Getting Serious

I have no doubt that there is more truth than fiction to the toxic work environment in which  MJ works. Lord knows I work for a calculating man who is playing Majong while the rest of us are still setting up our raggedy cardboard checkers board thinking the game is about to start - dude's already all the way in play. The long game; my boss and Rhonda. But, I am really sick of watching this storyline where Rhonda is plotting against MJ. I don't want this treacherous woman of color against woman of color on my screen or in my head. It can stop now.

Whew, that kiss between MJ and Justin though. I know what I'm adding to my list of resolutions for 2018. HEAT.

Kara...self-sabotage. I do it to myself so can't stand watching someone else do it.

All too real.

I'd rather more fiction in my fiction shows.

• Love 3

Maybe Justin is playing the long con on me as well, because I totally bought that kiss between him and MJ.  In any event, Lee is toast now.

I'm sick of the Rhonda vs. MJ match and it's not just because it's between two women of color; it's because this match has gone on long enough.  Just call it a tie and be done with it.

Still don't like Kara but I do understand why she would be uncomfortable dating a younger man who was a player, and why she doesn't feel confident in the relationship.  I wish I cared if they got back together or not, but I don't.  

But, I am really sick of watching this storyline where Rhonda is plotting against MJ. I don't want this treacherous woman of color against woman of color on my screen or in my head. It can stop now.

Yeah, because if I want to see women of color acting a fool, my fellow black women to be exact, I can watch one of those reality shows. All I can say is, at least what's going on between MJ and Rhonda isn't over a man and for that I'm thankful. They'd lose my viewership completely over that type of story line, gone, done. 

Maybe Justin is playing the long con on me as well, because I totally bought that kiss between him and MJ.

Yeah, I don't trust him and that kiss didn't make him anymore trustworthy in my eyes. The kiss was hot, but I don't know.

Bye Lee,...so MJ isn't that into him? I did think the I love you's came pretty quickly.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3

I don't know why I thought Lee was attractive at first, but I did.  Then his kids.  I actually love kids, or I always thought I did, but those teenagers were so strange.  Take away the masturbating thing, even, they seemed like total caricatures.  They acted really weirdly.  Teenagers just want to be cool, don't they?  And my British cousins grew up WAY faster than I did.  But Lee's, from a few episodes back, were just so childish.  I think after that I've been kind of turned off.  It's unfair, because parents should be as dateable as anyone, but Lee's not as hot anymore.  To compound matters, using MJ's family shit?  I would have left his ass so fast.  Anyone says anything about my family, it is so beyond over it's not even funny.  It's way too new of a relationship to talk about someone else's family in that way.  

Michael Ealy...... is Michael Ealy.  Here's hoping for a juicy finale.

Kara is an idiot.  LOL.  As a big baseball fan, I'm like, you're giving up a former ball player?  You idiot... 

• Love 4

Kara has a hot, younger guy, who is willing to give up his ways for her AND willing to learn new shit to "please" her,  and she tosses him out.  C'mon girl!  What are you thinking?!?

And MJ has a guy who is willing to deal with all her bullshit, but we know she's gonna find a way to screw that up because that's what she does.

That being said, ooooh boy that kiss.  Honestly, I almost gave up on this show until I learned Michael Ealy and his sexy self would be on.  I'm willing to put up with MJ's messiness to get some hotter scenes between those two.

• Love 4

Saw that kiss coming a mile away...especially with the way he touched her chin while helping her prep for the show.

Kara, come on man! That was the silliest thing ever! And THEN crying? Bitch please. And you KNOW he's not coming back after jumping all those hoops. I cannot believe she did that to herself!

At the very least, she could have enjoyed the ride. What was the point? To break her own heart before he did? Guess I just answered my own question.

Edited by Fairlily26
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Fairlily26 said:

Kara, come on man! That was the silliest thing ever! And THEN crying? Bitch please. And you KNOW he's not coming back after jumping all those hoops. I cannot believe she did that to herself!

At the very least, she could have enjoyed the ride. What was the point? To break her own heart before he did? Guess I just answered my own question.

I saw Kara doing sabotaging herself a mile away.  But it felt very real to me.  Kara knew deep down that this man eventually would leave her.  The problem also was her son was friends with him on social media, which I felt crossed a boundary.  I think Kara was scared she would be made a fool of.  Maybe if her son wasn't involved it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

• Love 3

I really love Kara on the show, more than Mary Jane.  I can understand her being worried because although he talked about being with her exclusively he was still getting drunk and hanging around women.  I think he also crossed the line if they had not agreed to talk about their relationship, and by getting close to her kids. I want Kara to have success.  Mary Jane has just been written as too much of a mess for me to invest anything in.  I never liked the new guy, not because I think he is unattractive, there is just something about him that doesn't ring true.  After the episode with the ex wife Mary Jane should be running. 

I missed some of it, what happened with her brother, and why is she trusting Justin? 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I saw Kara doing sabotaging herself a mile away.  But it felt very real to me.  Kara knew deep down that this man eventually would leave her.  The problem also was her son was friends with him on social media, which I felt crossed a boundary.  I think Kara was scared she would be made a fool of.  Maybe if her son wasn't involved it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

I agree with everything you said, I just wanted to see Kara have a little fun. The thing with her son was a bit much and she told him so. 

Too bad he couldn't leave well enough alone so that they could just enjoy each other. 

It was pretty clear how uncomfortable she was with the all the attention on their relationship.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I missed some of it, what happened with her brother, and why is she trusting Justin? 

MJ's brother, Paul, PJ (LOL, I literally GUESSED that his name was PJ because MJ's name is MJ, and his real life name is BJ Britt. I don't know why I find this so funny.) 

I think, with respect to the girl he was looking after, her mother hit on him.  He then freaked out and backed away and said, "Is this why you hired me?!"  (I think. I don't even know WTF he does.)

MJ trusts Justin because Justin has made it clear he wants MJ to become an anchor on the show.  When Rhonda was out of the (country?) Justin wanted MJ to be her sub.  MJ was announced as the sub but then Rhonda came back which foiled their plan.  Then Justin said he still thinks MJ can make it as anchor on this show and he'll make sure she gets there.

On 3/14/2017 at 11:20 PM, announcergirl said:

All too real.

That is exactly how I felt when MJ's childhood friend (Lisa?) committed suicide last season, and they showed it on the show.  What the fuck?  I've been scarred by that ever since, and my love for the show definitely dulled last year.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 3/12/2017 at 0:35 PM, Ohwell said:

What?  How long has she known Lee, a few months?  And now they're talking about children? 

A friend met a man when she was 40ish. She had a child. He didn't. She was pregnant within about the same amount of time Lee and MJ have known each other. Friends and family questioned the decision. Their thinking was that it might have already been too late (for her). They had (maybe) found the person that they were going to be with for the next long while. And, they preferred to try immediately rather than to wait a socially appropriate amount of time, find out that it was too late then, and have to wonder forever if maybe they could have had a baby if they tried earlier. They are still together 6 years later.

Theoretically I get why Mary Jane and Lee are talking about it. now That said, I don't get why MJ would want to have a child with a 40 year old comedian who has a history of moving thousands of miles away from his children! 

Edited by RaeSpellman
  • Love 3

I think this conversation has to happen early in the dating process so that everyone is on the same page. Anyone watch Black Ink? A situation arose where Melanie (so?) found out her bf didn't believe in marriage AFTER she just had his baby. Why invest time to find out you want something different or on a different timeline. Relationships are investments or gambles. At my age I only want low risk, guaranteed or to bet on black. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I wish someone would make Rhonda go away, I'm tired of her.  She was the one who resented the producer wanting "two black women fighting."  But Rhonda is the one causing it.  Go away Rhonda.  

She SAID she resented it, but seems to me she is the root cause of it all. I really dislike threatened, disingenuous types like Rhonda. Unfortunately, the world is full them. Haters. People who think there is not enough abundance, success, love, men, promotions, beauty, etc etc. etc. to go around for everyone. They want theirs and yours too.

• Love 5

Rhonda is a bitter, lonely woman whose husband is having affairs, and so this job is all she has to make her feel good about herself.  She just wants to spread the hate and bitterness to others if she can.   I can't and don't feel sorry for her though.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, announcergirl said:

She SAID she resented it, but seems to me she is the root cause of it all. I really dislike threatened, disingenuous types like Rhonda. Unfortunately, the world is full them. Haters. People who think there is not enough abundance, success, love, men, promotions, beauty, etc etc. etc. to go around for everyone. They want theirs and yours too.

Basically a Rhonda is greedy.  She wants her share and yours too.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this season, but not MJ's decision-making. But has she ever made good decisions? 

Lee doesn't wow me, but he's a good guy, and I hope MJ doesn't cheat on him. Not with Justin, the guy who got her fired from CNN. Don't trust him, MJ?

And does MJ not have a poker face? When Ronda was telling MJ about her new contract or when they were having tea in Ronda's office, MJ looked like she was about to cry. Or throw up. Or both. 

Lastly, why does DirecTV still list Omari Hardwick as a cast member? Dude hasn't been on the show in 3 years. 

• Love 1

I'm honestly curious as to why Lee is being perceived as such a great guy. The man lives halfway across the world from his pre-teen kids to satisfy a mediocre career. I'm not exactly seeing great dad potential there. And ever since the episode where he humiliated MJ by making her apologize in front of his friends, he's been dead to me. Whatever her trifling issues may be, asking MJ to be that vulnerable to strangers was not cool.

I don't get Justin's angle. Even though the two actors have great chemistry, I can't see why his character would want to get romantically involved with Mary Jane. He's been portrayed as too intense and ambitious to have a work affair and everyone knows MJ is impulsive & messy. 

Edited by sarkygal
My phone makes up words
  • Love 4

Assuming they have alimony and child support requirements in England, I still don't understand how Lee can make enough money to pay that plus live in NYC.  

14 hours ago, sarkygal said:

And ever since the episode where he humiliated MJ by making her apologize in front of his friends, he's been dead to me

You know, I'd forgotten about that.  He really is a dick.

14 hours ago, sarkygal said:

I'm honestly curious as to why Lee is being perceived as such a great guy. The man lives halfway across the world from his pre-teen kids to satisfy a mediocre career. I'm not exactly seeing great dad potential there. And ever since the episode where he humiliated MJ by making her apologize in front of his friends, he's been dead to me. Whatever her trifling issues may be, asking MJ to be that vulnerable to strangers was not cool.

The interesting thing about Lee is, he was originally supposed to be just a hook up, a one night stand.  But because he didn't just disappear, because he pursued MJ, she became more interested.  

The scene where Lee made MJ apologize to his friends was strange because I kept thinking, "what if they know who MJ is?  What if they've seen her on TV?"  That's what bugged.  Lee knew MJ was a public figure when he asked her to do that.

As for his not being a great dad, that doesn't bug me at all.  A friend married a man who didn't have such a great relationship with all of his children; but he was a fantastic husband and was there for her to the end.  So one never knows.

Edited by Neurochick
19 hours ago, topanga said:

Lastly, why does DirecTV still list Omari Hardwick as a cast member? Dude hasn't been on the show in 3 years. 

I have Fios, and they do the same thing....not sure why though, but i notice it every time I read the info.

• Love 1

Something has been confusing me about MJs professional direction: the show makes no bones about the fact that MJ is a 40-year-old woman with life experience under her belt, so why are the writers having her act like she's a "green" 20-something? All that stress and practice over getting ready for the anchor chair as if it was her first time? Hasn't she already been an anchor, as well as having her own show? And how is she constantly getting blind-sided by Ronda and the other workplace politics? This kind of thing has never happened in her career? I guess it was all "sweet tea and biscuits" down in Atlanta?

• Love 6
6 hours ago, TVForever said:

Something has been confusing me about MJs professional direction: the show makes no bones about the fact that MJ is a 40-year-old woman with life experience under her belt, so why are the writers having her act like she's a "green" 20-something? All that stress and practice over getting ready for the anchor chair as if it was her first time? Hasn't she already been an anchor, as well as having her own show? And how is she constantly getting blind-sided by Ronda and the other workplace politics? This kind of thing has never happened in her career? I guess it was all "sweet tea and biscuits" down in Atlanta?

But wasn't she fired or let go from the job in Atlanta? Didn't she take the police brutality story with her niece too far for the producers? I thought that was said in the dialogue, in the first episode. She didn't leave because she wanted to, she got pushed out.

Which means she has been demoted, and I believe GU in interviews has stated that this season we would see her being humbled because she's been knocked down or fallen off her perch. So my understanding of psychology, this would be why we would see her acting like a 20 something as if she has no experience, her ego has been bruised and she's failed in a big way and therefore lacks the confidence she had before.  So her behavior makes sense to me even though as usual, it's annoying.  She especially annoying because Kara who's never let her down, and helped her get the job, warned her about Rhonda in the beginning and she didn't listen. Now she's warned her repeatedly about Justin and she's not listening.  It's going to be really screwed up if Rhonda loses her spot and then Kara falls with her.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1
On 3/20/2017 at 3:57 PM, Keepitmoving said:

Which means she has been demoted, and I believe GU in interviews has stated that this season we would see her being humbled because she's been knocked down or fallen off her perch. So my understanding of psychology, this would be why we would see her acting like a 20 something as if she has no experience, her ego has been bruised and she's failed in a big way and therefore lacks the confidence she had before.  So her behavior makes sense to me even though as usual, it's annoying.  She especially annoying because Kara who's never let her down, and helped her get the job, warned her about Rhonda in the beginning and she didn't listen. Now she's warned her repeatedly about Justin and she's not listening.  It's going to be really screwed up if Rhonda loses her spot and then Kara falls with her.

Agree. But she's not acting like a woman who's learned from her previous experiences. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, topanga said:

Agree. But she's not acting like a woman who's learned from her previous experiences. 

If she did, she wouldn't be MJ.  When has she ever learned from her previous experiences??

• Love 1
On 3/14/2017 at 11:20 PM, announcergirl said:

I have no doubt that there is more truth than fiction to the toxic work environment in which  MJ works. Lord knows I work for a calculating man who is playing Majong while the rest of us are still setting up our raggedy cardboard checkers board thinking the game is about to start - dude's already all the way in play. The long game; my boss and Rhonda. But, I am really sick of watching this storyline where Rhonda is plotting against MJ. I don't want this treacherous woman of color against woman of color on my screen or in my head. It can stop now.

Whew, that kiss between MJ and Justin though. I know what I'm adding to my list of resolutions for 2018. HEAT.

Kara...self-sabotage. I do it to myself so can't stand watching someone else do it.

All too real.

Kara is just overly ambitious so I understand her drive to make it.  I don't think any man will do for her, but she reminds my myself so I understand why she was so uncomfortable about taking her relationship public with a public figure.  Who needs all of that pressure.

MJ and Justin's kiss was hot but we all saw it coming from miles away.  I liked Michael Ealy on Secrets and Lies, however, he looks funny with no facial hair.

I find MJ's storyline with Lee to be boring because I know she isn't into him like she puts on.  His ex is a trip I will say that though and I don't know how anyone could put up with her.  And nothing will ever be good enough for MJ, she wants kids but she wants her career even more.

On 3/19/2017 at 0:09 AM, topanga said:

I'm enjoying this season, but not MJ's decision-making. But has she ever made good decisions? 

Lee doesn't wow me, but he's a good guy, and I hope MJ doesn't cheat on him. Not with Justin, the guy who got her fired from CNN. Don't trust him, MJ?

And does MJ not have a poker face? When Ronda was telling MJ about her new contract or when they were having tea in Ronda's office, MJ looked like she was about to cry. Or throw up. Or both. 

Sometimes I do wish Omari Hardwick was still on the show.  He was like another Michael Ealy character someone who was just there.  But I feel like his storyline ended too soon and I wished that he had another season on the show.  But he's doing his thing on Power.

• Love 1