Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Big Girl Dance Battle

• Start Topic

OK, I just watched this episode last night. Was it just me, or did their rehearsals (Whitney's) look better than the performance? Because the performances ALL.LOOKED.THE.SAME. and none of them looked anything like the rehearsals (except for the beating of the sticks and turning around from the back row to the front).

And I knew Whitney is self-centered but she certainly showed it when Todd injured himself. I couldn't help but flash back to when she herself passed out during a dance class and everyone rushed to her side. In contrast, she acted like she was blaming Todd for injuring himself!

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Momof2Pekes said:

OK, I just watched this episode last night. Was it just me, or did their rehearsals (Whitney's) look better than the performance? Because the performances ALL.LOOKED.THE.SAME. and none of them looked anything like the rehearsals (except for the beating of the sticks and turning around from the back row to the front).

And I knew Whitney is self-centered but she certainly showed it when Todd injured himself. I couldn't help but flash back to when she herself passed out during a dance class and everyone rushed to her side. In contrast, she acted like she was blaming Todd for injuring himself!

Of all people she should not be too upset with someone getting hurt. She gets hurt ALL THE TIME. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Momof2Pekes said:

Because the performances ALL.LOOKED.THE.SAME.

I thought so, too; but I'm no expert about dance. I only watched the Extra Fab so I could very closely watch the dance battle. I'm damned if I could see any difference between routines except for the use of drumsticks once. That lack of variety is probably why the judges narrowly awarded the trophy to TWF.  Not because one judge threw the competition as Whiney insists.

ETA: Also, TWF moved around the floor rather than standing in place like BGDC. And isn't movement what dance is all about?

Edited by Dot
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2017 at 2:20 PM, sATL said:

1- Director of ShowTime inc. Emanuel Mallete (he's the one in the tie). 2- Daliana Simons - director of daliana dance. 3- D. Jerome Wells - NC school of the arts.

Emanuel Mallete is also on the faculty of Daliana's school. Hmmm... and his "bio" mentions that he's " also had the opportunity to perform at the John F Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, The Monticello, Vybez Showcase Atlanta, and at many other respectable places. Emmanuel has also worked with television networks, such as TLC, ..." (copy/pasted from her dance school website). Interesting. Very. Interesting. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

D. Jerome Wells - NC school of the arts

Do we know anything about Mr. Wells?  What does he DO at the NC School of the Arts?  Teacher?  Of what?  Or janitor?  Administrator?  Secretary?  Is he qualified to judge dancing at all?  Inquiring minds want to know....

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

Do we know anything about Mr. Wells?  What does he DO at the NC School of the Arts?  Teacher?  Of what?  Or janitor?  Administrator?  Secretary?  Is he qualified to judge dancing at all?  Inquiring minds want to know....

I looked at the school's website and he is not listed in the faculty directory. (https://www.uncsa.edu/)

So... he's a local actor and model, who dances on the side sometimes.  Which, of course, makes him the perfect person to judge a (fake) dance battle.  No wonder he was trying to hide his face.  LOL  Guess he must have once took a class at the NC School of the Arts or something. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

Guess he must have once took a class at the NC School of the Arts or something. 

Or drove by it.  Or can spell it.  That's all it takes to qualify as an expert in WhitneyWorld.

• Love 2

He began his training at the prestigious North Carolina School of the Arts, where he studied Musical Theatre and modern dance technique with traditional dance formats.

So shouldn't that say "He studied" or "He was trained at" or "He graduated from the" something? They offer high school and undergraduate programs in dance so it's really possible he was there for high school. There are also just some community classes that look like they cover his studies. I think his dance background may be only slightly more prestigious than Twit's. I did like that he was looking for roles on Reality TV shows under his preferred casting calls and auditions.

• Love 2
On 3/16/2017 at 2:01 PM, Dot said:

Actually, they were introduced by name & organization. If I remember correctly, the guy in the tie is from a community college, the woman owns her own dance studio, aaaaaand ... I can't remember what group the other guy represented. I'm wondering if that's the reason all the judges looked so uncomfortable. They didn't realize they'd be outed on national TV when they accepted the TLC check. Maybe they thought they'd just be sitting anonymously in the background instead of front & center.

I know this is a old comment but I burst out laughing so loud my dog ran in the room barking, the male judge looked like he wanted to disappear into the floor.