Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Big Girl Dance Battle

• Start Topic

My favorite part was the scales scene where we saw Buddy's weight as 340 lbs and Whit squeeks when her weight is shown as 358 lbs and she's happy!! Then claims she's been working out and watching what she eats! Delusional much??

Thankfully, BGDC didn't win.  I was having visions of Dance Moms and how they always win.... Hey, there's an idea.... Team up old Abby Lee Miller and Whitney Thore. They could be stars of a new show "My 600 lbs  of Dance!

• Love 12

Whitney, upon discovering Todd's replacement dances well (which really is something she as the teacher should already know): 'I never thought I'd be happy that Todd got hurt!' 

God, she is just a repulsive, repulsive human being. Hateful. 

Editing to add that I'm worried for Jenzi; I'm pretty sure that discoloring around her neck is a sign of diabetes onset.

Edited by Pachengala
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, AmyB said:

if they win, this is soooo fixed.  All they are doing are standing there bopping and hitting sticks.  It looks so bad.  Their last rehearsal should be about polishing.

ALL of their rehearsals s/b about polishing!  They're horrible! 

1 minute ago, Pachengala said:

Whitney, upon discovering Todd's replacement dances well (which really is something she as the teacher should already know): 'I never thought I'd be happy that Todd got hurt!' 

God, she is just a repulsive, repulsive human being. Hateful. 

Notice how she got her name in there?  Instead of the BGDC they're team Twitney!  Oops - team Whitney.  

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

@AmyB, you're usually our girl for taking one for the team. Are her minions crying foul on social media?

This episode irritated me. I found less to snark on. That does nothing for my hate watching. 

I'm glad I'm not the only 1 hate watching!  I'm usually a sweet person but I really don't like this Butterball b**ch!  She's such a condescending user & a whiner!

• Love 9

IMO the "dance battle" should've been a tie!  They were all absolutely horrible!  I saw wristbands.  Did people actually pay to get into that charade?  If so, I do a wonderful little number while vacuuming with my bowl of ice cream balanced on my bewbs!  KAH-CHING!  Reality show for Grandma! ?

• Love 11

I have to give it to Twit. That's the least amount of skin I've seen on her in a long while.

The judge with the tie clearly didn't want to be filmed. He was wishing he had thought to wear a disguise and use a fake name.

Twit's girls are in way better shape than she thinks they are. They could do so much more than she's offering. "This is everything about what BGDC is about" Yes, it's only about Whiney.

• Love 7

So di

39 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

@AmyB, you're usually our girl for taking one for the team. Are her minions crying foul on social media?

This episode irritated me. I found less to snark on. That does nothing for my hate watching. 

Did the dance battle last 15 minutes?  The judges trying to keep a straight face while thinking of something to write down wa s hilarious!

8 minutes ago, MegD said:

I have to give it to Twit. That's the least amount of skin I've seen on her in a long while.

The judge with the tie clearly didn't want to be filmed. He was wishing he had thought to wear a disguise and use a fake name.

Twit's girls are in way better shape than she thinks they are. They could do so much more than she's offering. "This is everything about what BGDC is about" Yes, it's only about Whiney.

I'm sure all of the judges were mortified!  I thought the same thing about "my girls"!  She's definitely bringing up the rear in that group!

• Love 5

Random Questions:

Was that Amanda I saw in the bleachers at the Dance Battle?

Did the BGDC add outside dancers?  There were more dancers than one sees in the class.

Note:  I was impressed by Whitney's maturity at the end of the final rehearsal when she thanked Jenzi and encouraged the class to thank her as well.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, MegD said:

He should have talked to Nathaniel Lennie first. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Ok, I have satellite radio and have for years, so excuse my lack of knowledge,  but is the Manny, LauRen and Roy show typical of radio these days? Those people are so annoying. Does anyone listen to those shows? Awful.

I'm pretty sure the entire listening audience of that radio show was in the audience at the gym.  All 25 of them, LMAO!

• Love 6

I may be a terrible person, because I could watch Todd doing a high kick and then limping away in agony on an endless loop. I'm sure it was very painful, but it just looked so funny!

I knew Jiya's group would win the dance-off by the way Whitney's attitude has been telescoped in the talking heads. For weeks she's been whining about how she was forced into it, she didn't want to do it, her girls weren't ready, her girls would never learn the choreography, etc. And tonight she made several comments about not understanding the rules of the battle, which put her group at a disadvantage (complete b.s.). So many excuses, so many other people to blame. And now the icing on the cake is that she immediately called the result unfair. My favorite part was when she said Jiya won because she included kids, and then admitted that she has no idea if that was the actual reason, but she's going with it anyway. Have some dignity, woman! Even the bully from the Karate Kid was able to congratulate his opponent with more grace.

I think both teams' choreography was very repetitive- Whitney with her arm moves and hip jiggling, and Jiya with all the twerking. Yawn. However, I did get a laugh out of the "smack Whitney's butt with drum sticks" move, and plan to try it on my sister when she least suspects it.

I think the "vibe" everyone was feeling in the radio station at the end was Roy being passive-aggressive. He had already made the comment about the new rumor that he and Victoria were dating, teased Whitney about her being upset that he wouldn't be at the battle, and made a comment about how he'd better not bring her flowers, because god forbid she get the wrong idea again. He just sounded sick of the whole thing, and seemed to go out of his way to make fun of Whitney for thinking he ever had romantic intentions towards her.

• Love 14

Random thoughts - 

I really like Jenzi - actually laughed out loud at a couple of her comments. Such a droll, don't-give-a-shit sense of humor. Totally awesome.

Jiya - everything about her bugs me. Her mannerisms, her juvenile hahahaha attitude, her freaking TWERKING. That's not dancing.

Cameron - I almost laughed at the idea that she's a "dancer." I took ballet lessons from the time i was a tot, and took dance classes through college. Not a professional or close to it obviously, but I could dance a HELL of a lot better than that. She wasn't even spotting during her awful turns!

Horrible "dancing" all around. Lordie.

• Love 9

Okay, a bit of blasphemy here - I actually thought Twit's group "danced" better than the trophy wives. There was actually some semblance of choreography with Twit's team, while the Trophies were just shaking their butts, and doing that "going down" bullshit. BORING. It all looked exactly the same.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, LookABird said:

Random Questions:

Was that Amanda I saw in the bleachers at the Dance Battle?

Did the BGDC add outside dancers?  There were more dancers than one sees in the class.

Note:  I was impressed by Whitney's maturity at the end of the final rehearsal when she thanked Jenzi and encouraged the class to thank her as well.

I didn't notice Amanda & I think the camera would have lingered on her, were she there. As far as the BGDC goes, there were several of the usuals missing from both practices & competition: Heather, skinny teen, Caitie. Otherwise, it just looked the usuals to me except for the one ringer doing the split.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I think the "vibe" everyone was feeling in the radio station at the end was Roy being passive-aggressive. He had already made the comment about the new rumor that he and Victoria were dating, teased Whitney about her being upset that he wouldn't be at the battle, and made a comment about how he'd better not bring her flowers, because god forbid she get the wrong idea again. He just sounded sick of the whole thing, and seemed to go out of his way to make fun of Whitney for thinking he ever had romantic intentions towards her.

I've listened to most of the clips of their actual radio commenting on what is aired on the show, and the impression I get from those clips is that Roy is annoyed that the show made it seem like he was leading Whitney on and now he has fans telling him he's a douchebag. I think he feels played by the TLC editing. He also mentioned that there were some things said during the filming of the reunion episode for this season, so maybe we'll hear more of his side of the drama. But, yeah, I think he is passive aggressive, but only because he has realized that he's been selected as an unwitting character in a storyline where he supposedly went behind his girlfriend's back to emotionally lead on Whitney and then break her heart. I think he's probably not happy about that, and his only recourse is to be passive-aggressive about it, cause being direct about it would make him seem like even more of an asshole to the TV audience. Before this show, he probably had a decent reputation with his radio audience, and now all of a sudden he has a ton of biased TLC viewers who only see him in relation to how he plays into Whitney's life, and they've deemed him to be this sleazy dude. He probably is pretty upset that all the work he's done before this to cultivate whatever image he wanted to have has been undermined because of the station's decision to whore themselves out to TLC. Personally, I'm happy to see whatever passive-aggressive digs he's can come up with to undermine Whitney's impression that he was into her. That was something that was only a reality in her mind, but because she's the star of the show, millions of people have accepted it as the truth. That's gotta be frustrating, and insulting to whatever relationship he has with his actual girlfriend.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Oh yes everyone is crying foul and saying they cheated with using the kids. Tal even posted they were robbed in ALL CAPS. It is so sad. Jiya is getting tons of hate messages that she is all kinds of nasty things. It is so sad. 

• Love 7

whit rented a very nice dance studio for the rehearsals ? Just as I was getting used to the dungeon the past rehearsals have been in. And did she just say w/o Todd the group is only at 45% - which means Todd is 55% ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

Did Jiya and her OLG and little girls dance really full-out ? Jiya was breathing hard (?), but it just looked like they were dancing not has hard as I would expect.

Sorry, for picking on innocent little girls, but I normally they dance as bundle of energy.

One point to Whit for getting the formations right. I only saw a couple of spots where they were not lined up

Rules for bringing in the little girls (or any other members) and song selection should have been written out prior.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, goofygirl said:

Thankfully, BGDC didn't win.  I was having visions of Dance Moms and how they always win.... Hey, there's an idea.... Team up old Abby Lee Miller and Whitney Thore. They could be stars of a new show "My 600 lbs  of Dance!

Can you imagine that!  Abby Lee Miller would eat her alive.

• Love 4

I thought that was Heather,  Buddy's girlfriend. 

Word to all posters above for your spot-on observations. Yep, Twit's a whiner, and s poor sport ( complaining abt the outcome) and a crappy friend to Buddy and Todd. Watch out Tal--you're next.  

Re: the "dancing."    How is "dancing"  accomplished without movement outside a 4 square box with minor stomps around inside that space?  I mean, isn't dancing the process of moving arms, AND legs/feet?   

Hated that the camera did not pan consistently much of Twit's whole group as they were dancing so we could judge for ourselves.  Different styles of "dance" for sure from each group.

The women in Twit's group did look nice all gussied up--except the black lipstick. 

• Love 4

I had to laugh every time they showed the name of the place where the fancier rehearsal space was: The Club. Maybe *that's* what they're referring to when they say they're going to "the clurb"!

• Love 2

Well, it would have been nice to see a bit more of Jiya's group to see why the judges picked them. From what little I saw, neither her group nor Whitney's were so fantastic. The big "battle" was pretty much a dud and the judges looked like they'd rather be anywhere else.

So wonderful of Whitless to show her concern for Todd's injury. Oh wait... she was only concerned at how it would affect her team at the battle. Wonder how much TLC is paying Todd (and Tal) to be "friends" with this black hole of suck.

The radio team is totally trolling Whitney, and I love it. Roy having something else to do on the day of the battle? And then teasing her about not wanting to give her the wrong idea? Priceless.

• Love 8

Well, I thought it was a little embarrassing, but, hey, if you're not in great shape, you are only able to perform to a certain level.  That goes for BOTH TEAMS.  I think that Whitney has the desire to perform to a higher level, but, she lacks the motivation and commitment to get fit. (She is working on it, so, we'll see if she follows through.)  To me sportsmanship is key and when you behave the right way, you've done the right thing.  That counts for a lot.   I hoped that BGDC would do well.  They did practice and try hard.  As far as the judges...they got paid, as they were part of this script, so, they should be happy to be there and collect their fees.  Likely, the winner was pre-determined and that's okay, since, it is a REALITY show.  I've accepted it.  Events on this show are as they would have you see them and not as they actually are.  I do think the relationships and some of the banter is real.  That's why I like it. 

I can't imagine hoping that someone does poorly or watching to see someone fall flat on their face.  I pull for the underdog.  I think that Whit really worried about how her team was going to appear on this challenge. Maybe, it will inspire her to move to another level. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Kramermom said:

I'm glad I'm not the only 1 hate watching!  I'm usually a sweet person but I really don't like this Butterball b**ch!  She's such a condescending user & a whiner!

I've been 100% hate watching since day one.  I love to hate her.

9 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I may be a terrible person, because I could watch Todd doing a high kick and then limping away in agony on an endless loop. I'm sure it was very painful, but it just looked so funny!

I thought the whole thing looked really fake.  Am I alone there?

On an unrelated note, I thought Maddie looked really pretty when she was wearing a long scarf while Whitney was getting her makeup done.  I think she should try longer, wavy or straight hair.

• Love 4

Okay, something is bugging me.  During all these "dance rehearsals", when Twit was in such a panic that they weren't going to be ready, and everyone was supposed to be trying oh so hard and putting their best foot forward and all that sappy stuff, why was it that NO ONE was sweating?  Not one of them, and they were supposed to have been rehearsing for HOURS!  Even their hair was still perfect!  When I'm working out and working hard, I'll have sweat pouring down my face and sweat patches under my arms and down my back.  Last night?  Nothing.  Even just being under the hot lights used for shooting the scene should have caused some of those ladies to sweat.  What gives?

I'm really kinda shocked that they'd write the script so that Jiya's group won.  But maybe they have planned some sort of second battle where Twit, the heroine of our story, and her gutsy troop of BGs will win the day?  The underdogs come out on top after being cheated out of their rightful win?  I could see them going that route, if only to draw out the end of this show.  After all, I'm assuming that they're planning on shooting another season, and they need some stories for that, right?

Neither group was all that, but at least Jiya's group showed some energy and flexibility and muscle control.  Whoever told Twit that that black lipstick was a good look on her needs to be shot.  And heeeeeeee about Babs needling Twit about the poor horse.  And Glen not rising to the bait regarding the faux lesbian storyline.  "Pass the rice" indeed.

• Love 4

Variety of skills = "Not much to go off," but the score is an 8?  Say what?  When faking your fake score sheets for a fake dance battle, at least make your fake comments match your fake scores.

• Love 13

I also have to question whether Todd actually injured himself, conveniently on camera, and at the moment of maximum drama (the competition is TOMORROW!!!) Add in a previously underestimated dancer from the class stepping into his star turn and blowing everyone (well, Whitney) away, I think someone has been stealing plot lines from the movie 42nd Street.

So, Todd does a technically bad high kick. (Excuse me, battement.) He was heaving his leg up and relying on momentum to get it as high as he did, rather than having any control over the lift.  That's definitely a recipe for pulling a hamstring of the moving leg. But as someone who has a fair amount of experience with pulled hamstrings, I didn't think what he described as happening was consistent with the injury.

First, he kicked. Then he said he heard a "pop" which is consistent with an Achilles tendon injury, but not so much a muscle injury, like a hamstring pull. Then he said he felt an electric tingle all down his leg and he collapsed to the floor because the pain was so immediate and terrible. This is also consistent with an Achilles tendon injury, except for the fact that: (a) Todd's Achilles tendon didn't appear to be at risk in the movement he was doing, (b) a completely torn Achilles tendon is extremely painful (as in involuntary-cry-of-pain inducing) (c) a torn Achilles  tendon  de-stabilizes the ankle and makes it impossible to walk, and  (d) (if injured badly enough for the "pop" and "tingle") it probably would require surgical repair.

So let's say Todd was exaggerating what he actually experienced, which appeared to be, at most, a minor muscle pull.  He would actually have felt a sharp jab where the muscle fibers were over-stretched or torn. (It would have to have been one hell of a big tear to send him to the floor in agony.) Any experienced dancer or athlete getting that signal would immediately stop doing anything that stretched the muscle and apply ice to the injured area.  A minor hamstring injury doesn't prevent you from walking. After ice and ibuprofen, it's likely you wouldn't even notice it unless you attempted to stretch the injured area. And, as Todd rather snarkily pointed out, the choreography didn't require much in the way of hamstring flexibility.  (Although I thought the hamstrings would be stretched in the "drop it low" parts of Jenzi's routine, but it looked like Jenzi had removed all of that from the choreography when I saw it danced?)

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

ooh, sorry, I meant to quote. I laughed for 5 minutes after that.  don't know why it was so funny!!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Re Amanda, she was sitting next to Buddy and said sometimes to the effect of "Can they do thst?"when the little girls came into dance. Stupid questions do dance battles have rules?

Heather was sitting next to Buddy. Was Amanda on his other side cuz I didn't see her.

14 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Ok, I have satellite radio and have for years, so excuse my lack of knowledge,  but is the Manny, LauRen and Roy show typical of radio these days? Those people are so annoying. Does anyone listen to those shows? Awful.

They made a big deal out of Whit using the word precipice and said they needed a dictionary so yes people listen to them, very stupid people.

Edited by John M
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Radio's been like that for a while now. What's funny is that Whitney doesn't seem to comprehend Manny's constant digs towards her--he's pretty accomplished at being low-level mean.

• Love 4

Oh yes, Whit, the idea of performing for Roy is so gross after you manufactured a non-existing relationship with him.

Joking about injuring a horse? Fuck you Whit.

The horseback ride was not a date, it was a horseback ride, you kissed afterwards. And you did not break things off, there was nothing to break off because you weren't in a relationship, you kissed a girl once. Whit you look really pathetic with all these relationships you are making up in your head.

Whit is just barely waddling around and hitting sticks together and she is drenched in sweat, she must smell terrible.

Todd is writhing in pain and ran off and professional choreographer and dance instructor Whit didn't even notice.

The one thing to dazzle and make the whole dance is you know the thing fat people can't do.

You are her professional dance instructor and you did not know that your student is a better dancer than you?

Whit puts a shirt on after they are done? So she is just "dancing" without clothing why?

You're glad Todd got hurt? What is wrong with you? You are so about uplifting people and supporting them but as always you are a bitch when it involves you.

You know they are filming in your room, spend like 10 minutes picking stuff up, like just throw it in the closet or something. Whit is so lazy.

Was the judge on the far right being forced to do this against his will? He looked like a hostage.

Whit is not dancing, she is just waddling around. What is this? I see better moves out of people on the dance floor at the clurb right before the go into the bathroom to vomit.

Buddy seems to be really into the Trophy Wives and looked disgusted with Whit molesting herself. I was too, gross. And it's not just Whit, I would be grossed out with anyone doing that in an event like this. It's on TV, there are kids there, stop being gross.

Buddy looks like a hostage too.

No one explained to you what you could do in the fake dance battle that was completely made up for the show about you? No one explained the rules or the fairness about this battle that only exists for the TV show about you? Please.

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, John M said:

No one explained to you what you could do in the fake dance battle that was completely made up for the show about you? No one explained the rules or the fairness about this battle that only exists for the TV show about you? Please.

Almost all of the facebook and twitter comments are that allowing kids were against the rules. What rules? How do you even know what the rules were for this fake staged battle.  I never saw any actual rules stated for the battle just what twit spewed out of her mouth at fake BGDC.  It almost feels like the producers did this to purposely mess with twit.  But her followers are so delusional and said her dancing was so much better. Lol 

Just now, Diamond Dog said:

Is Lennie's name really Nathaniel?  Spill the tea. 

Yep. He apparently goes by Lennie for artistic purposes. And that was his name he went by when they met. Twit finally mentioned it on facebook a few days ago. 

• Love 2

I too thought that BGDC's dancing was slightly better.  they actually danced together.  Jiya's group was all over the place, not together, waving those stupid sticks, and I think the kids added nothing.  I was surprised that they won.  Don't hate.

• Love 8

I was repelled by the Trophy Wives' (ugh! that name!) choreography. It was appallingly CROTCH-Y. As if they were trying to screw an invisible doorknob two feet off the ground. I kept watching (between my fingers) but called those "dancers" horrible names at the t.v.

And that Jenzi...thing. "You lookin' a fool! I won't stand for no foolery!"
I hearby resign from the human race.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Lesia said:

I too thought that BGDC's dancing was slightly better.  they actually danced together.  Jiya's group was all over the place, not together, waving those stupid sticks, and I think the kids added nothing.  I was surprised that they won.  Don't hate.

The whole battle was a ridiculous mess but I tend to agree with you.  The Big Girls seemed more choreographed ( I know , I know ) and the Trophys were just running and squatting here there everywhere 

• Love 3

Yeah, much as I hate to admit it, I thought the BGDC was actually more entertaining to watch. Better music, too.

Trophy Wives? What kind of trophy? Participation, where everybody gets one? (sorry, I'll find the door on my own, lol)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, John M said:

They made a big deal out of Whit using the word precipice and said they needed a dictionary so yes people listen to them, very stupid people.

Sounded like they were being sarcastic to me--making someone think you don't know what a word means and that person (Whitney) tries to explain it. It's another form of low-level meanness. People who work on the air are generally not dumb, but they sometimes pretend to be.

• Love 1

I was hoping for Miss D and the Dancing Dolls to BUST onto the scene in Greensboro and take over that dance battle. Alas, it did not happen.

I am in the home market for that terrible radio show and it is, indeed, the worst. Charlotte is actually the home to 3 pretty popular syndicated morning radio shows, John Boy and Billy, Bob and Sheri, and Ace and TJ (who were the predecessors to Maney, Roy, etc. on KISS 95.1 before they were let go and they moved to another station.) Other radio shows have a hard time competing. So to answer your question: do people listen? Yes. Are a lot of people listening? Not really. I listened to their show when I had a loaner car from my dealership and it was awful. I feel like Roy might be an okay dude (*might*), but the rest of them seem like assholes and the show is inane. (Don't get excited - the other 3 shows I listed up there aren't that awesome either - but they are popular.)

I thought both groups did okay. Trophy Wives were very typically dance battle-y. Whitney's group's choreography seemed very static and repetitive - I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between the various stands. Were I Whitney, I think I might review the dance footage and realize that my size was causing me to be unable to really fully dance anymore - there are lots of moves she just can't do. I thought Todd's comment about the dances not requiring a lot of flexibility to be really telling! He's right.

I was not surprised by the results. I did find it weird that Whitney had no idea what you could/couldn't do in a dance battle, or how it worked. Girl, do some research. We have actual dance battle teams in Charlotte - I'm sure you could have gotten some tips. But I think she wanted to come across as clueless so that when they lost, she could claim ignorance. 

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

Sounded like they were being sarcastic to me--making someone think you don't know what a word means and that person (Whitney) tries to explain it. It's another form of low-level meanness. People who work on the air are generally not dumb, but they sometimes pretend to be.

The blonde guy is Maney?  The show does seem like it's probably awful and unlistenable but I do enjoy his eye rolls and meanness to Twit. Enjoy it A LOT. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can't imagine hoping that someone does poorly or watching to see someone fall flat on their face.  I pull for the underdog.  

Me too.  Whit is not the underdog, however. Jiya was the one getting the hate mail and attacks online. The show is about Whitney and her "fabulous" life. Whit's pretending to be the hero in all of this. I can't root for her. At all. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Diamond Dog said:

Is Lennie's name really Nathaniel?  Spill the tea. 

Lennie Alehat's real name is Nathaniel Lee, as AmyB mentioned. This was written up about a year ago. If you Google, you can also see a picture of him sans beard. I am surprised that they didn't have him come to the dance competition as a storyline to win her back or something equally eyerolling. 

• Love 3