Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Episode 8

• Start Topic

The show films from April or May until late October/early November every year. That's a long time commitment. Some performers have been able to film other things concurrently, but I would imagine it's difficult.

It takes them six or seven months to film 8 episodes and the Christmas special?  Do they just have an extremely slow and inefficient shooting schedule?   

But this was England in the 60s, where home births were still the norm.  And, he's a Dr, so they were probably using his being on the bed as a way to show he was not playing the role of Dr, but rather, husband.  

Given, they rarely have ever allowed the father into the room for the birthing process on this show, I would say it would not be the norm to have the father in the room on the bed with the mother, actively participating in the birth, like they did with Dr. Turner.  Though in this case, it was a couple that Sister Julienne knew extremely well and she's just mostly awesome, so I can see why she allowed them to have that moment.   

As a person in menopause who suffers from what my doc calls (hilariously) Heat Intolerance, I appreciated Vi's storyline this week. I confess I don't feel her 'can't have kids anymore, life means nothing' pain (I'm on the 'yippee!' end of that scale), but anybody who shows any sympathy for the nuclear thermogenic furnace that is my body these days will get points from me.

My sister wore one of those hooded capes for her winter wedding; it's a lovely, ethereal look, isn't it? 

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, attica said:

As a person in menopause who suffers from what my doc calls (hilariously) Heat Intolerance, I appreciated Vi's storyline this week. I confess I don't feel her 'can't have kids anymore, life means nothing' pain (I'm on the 'yippee!' end of that scale), but anybody who shows any sympathy for the nuclear thermogenic furnace that is my body these days will get points from me.

I used to call them "power surges" or "my own personal tropical vacation moment."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I've only got a few mild foretastes - as a person with an amazing ability to freeze in the middle of summer (I can regularly make people jump by unexpectedly putting my hand on their skin) I'm somewhat bewildered by the phenomenon. Not sure how well I'll be able to take it once they kick in full force.

15 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I used to call them "power surges" or "my own personal tropical vacation moment."

He! My freeze-phase normally sets in around 4 pm - I call it 'thermostat failure'.

That said I was silently mumbling to Violet: 'Get rid of that blasted corset!'

• Love 5
8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

It takes them six or seven months to film 8 episodes and the Christmas special?  Do they just have an extremely slow and inefficient shooting schedule?   

My mother watches A LOT of series from the UK and Australia.  I usually help her figure out how to access/stream them (because technology is not her thing.)  Consequently, I keep track of when many series begin, could possibly begin, etc.  The Brits and the Aussies don't film in the same way that the American TV industry does.  American dramas take about 8 days to film an episode (according to most DVD commentaries that I've heard.)  American dramas and comedies produce 22-24 episodes in a season.  That's almost unheard of in Australia and the UK.

• Love 2

I did like Jenny and enjoyed her story as she learned so many things in Poplar and gradually got over her married man.  Maybe that's why it took me a while to really warm to Barbara who I sort of saw as the Jenny replacement.  I'll confess part of it was that I didn't find Barbara pretty enough for the handsome Tom,  she almost seemed to be forcing the plainness with her plain hairdo as though that made her more moral than Trixie. 

Well, Barbara's very niceness finally melted my cold heart.  Not only was she wonderful in Africa, she does things every episode that make her almost as sensitive and kind as Sister Julienne.  Barbara was the only one who noticed how hurt Phyllis looked when Shelagh chose Sister Julienne  as her midwife and I'm sure that helped her decide to make her, her own bridesmaid.   Then along came her father who is nice and humble in the very same way and finally she came down the aisle with a little make up and that fabulous cape and I even realized she was actually very pretty. (Still hate her hair, though.

• Love 6
(edited)

I have so much to say about this episode. However, so this doesn't become a novel I'll limit my comments to just Barbara.

Barbara's story (to me) finally didn't feel it was there just for plot devices. Her wedding was about her and not just there, so Trixie would realize she wants to marry Christopher. Also Barbara & Tom's scenes felt like they were about them as a couple and not just there to move the plot along. It was really nice; however, it was also a bit frustrating for me because obviously the writers can write Barbara as more than a plot device; they just choose not to.

Anyway, Barbara was absolutely lovely in her wedding dress. The cape threw me at first, I was expecting a vail, but it was very pretty. Question did people back then really wear capes?  Barbara's make-up was very nice; she really does clean up nicely. Also Barbara just seemed so happy and was glowing; kudos to the actress for being able to portray that. I totally bought that it was Barbara's wedding day. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the headband. I know that it's Barbara's signature thing, but I was so hoping that it wouldn't make an appearance.

Everyone chipping in to buy Barbara's wedding dress while predictable was a very nice gesture. However, the whole not being able to afford a wedding dress again had me wondering about Trixie being able to afford all those dresses. I think we saw her in 3-4 different outfits this episode. Also speaking of Trixie's dresses while I thought the red number was lovely and looked great on Trixie; I thought it was too bright and look at me for a wedding.

I loved that Barbara asked Phillis to be her bridesmaid. Yes, part of it was she realized Phillis was very hurt by Shelagh's choice, but I really bought that Barbara thought of Phillis as one of her best friends. I'm so happy that we didn't end up with Trixie as the bridesmaid; not only would it be awkward but I've never really bought that Trixie & Barbara are such good friends. I know we're suppose to believe that they are, but I feel like the show didn't really show us how Trixie & Barbara became good friends. I know the same can be said about Barbara & Phillis. I guess I just have an easier time buying Phillis & Barbara being close.

The carousel while usually the logistics and financial aspects of something like this would annoy me; in this case I just loved it. I loved that Tom made such a grand gesture for Barbara. I also loved that it seemed like Tom was betting on names that reminded him of Barbara.

Edited by Fireball
because apparently I can't spell cape
  • Love 5
(edited)

Fireball, you've helped articulate for me the difference between the performances of Charlotte Ritchie and Laura Main.  I enjoy Barbara as well (except for her hairbands), and I think it's because Charlotte can bring across the idea that Barbara is a genuinely nice person, but Charlotte does it in a more subtle way that is more believable to me.  In my opinion, Laura Main tries way too hard, and it makes Shelagh come across as the ultimate "Miss Goody Two Shoes."  For me, Main makes Shelagh seem so fake.

I know that viewers are supposed to root for Shelagh and be thrilled about her baby, but all she does is make my teeth hurt from her sickening sweetness.  It has been said here that Trixie's a caricature, and at times, she can be, but I feel that Shelagh's just as much of one.

I'm looking forward to Barbara's married life next year. Will she still work as a midwife, I wonder, or will we completely see her in a new role of parish duties as a vicar's wife?

I also love how Tom and Trixie have developed this great friendship even though they knew they weren't romantically suited for each other.  (Which is funny, considering the actors are now dating each other.)

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Fireball said:

The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the headband. I know that it's Barbara's signature thing, but I was so hoping that it wouldn't make an appearance.

Heh. When Barbara woke up with little rollers all over her head, I was expecting something completely different for the ceremony.  In reality those little rollers would have given any woman a head full of tight curls.  Maybe there was a deleted scene where Trixie's effort at hairdressing turned Barbara into a Shirley Temple disaster that all had to be frantically washed out and returned to straight-with-headband.

3 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I'm looking forward to Barbara's married life next year. Will she still work as a midwife, I wonder, or will we completely see her in a new role of parish duties as a vicar's wife?

I really hope we don't get a repeat of Chummy and Shelagh's stories where shopping, cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing and raising a baby in pre-Pampers Poplar, was such a piece of cake it could all be done by seven in time for a day at the ante-natal clinic.  It always surprises me to see them taking their babies with them to work.  My baby was such a colicky little screamer they would have paid me to take him home and never come back.

Of course we know Barbara has the birth control all figured out,* but there will probably be a thousand vicar's wife duties, plus we know Barbara will volunteer to take on all sad cases that come her way.

*I never knew diaphragms were so huge!  Did they really put those things in virgins? 

• Love 2
(edited)
34 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Heh. When Barbara woke up with little rollers all over her head, I was expecting something completely different for the ceremony.  In reality those little rollers would have given any woman a head full of tight curls.  Maybe there was a deleted scene where Trixie's effort at hairdressing turned Barbara into a Shirley Temple disaster that all had to be frantically washed out and returned to straight-with-headband.

*I never knew diaphragms were so huge!  Did they really put those things in virgins? 

Same here! I was totally expecting curly hair! I mean why else go through the pain of sleeping in rollers?

* I was laughing so hard at Barbara playing with the diaphragm! Also I agree that thing was huge; no wonder Barbara wanted to take it out asap! 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, Ohwell said:

The only thing I'd like for Barbara to do is to grow her hair a bit longer. 

Replied in the Barbara forum.

Edited by Fireball
10 hours ago, Fireball said:

I feel like the show didn't really show us how Trixie & Barbara became good friends.

Yes, they did a much better job of showing the bonded group of Jenny, Cynthia, Trixie, and Chummy.

3 hours ago, Fireball said:

Same here! I was totally expecting curly hair! I mean why else go through the pain of sleeping in rollers?

To add body to baby fine hair.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Fireball said:

Question did people back then really wear capes? 

The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the headband. I know that it's Barbara's signature thing, but I was so hoping that it wouldn't make an appearance.

As with all generations, clothing from a few decades earlier were popular. In this case I think it came from reading novels by the Bronte sisters or Jane Austin. I was born in the early '50s and adored capes. I sewed myself a shorter one (hip length) in the '60s and bought a gorgeous blue Scottish wool cape later in life. They were so romantic (was my reasoning).

Head bands were also pretty standard in the '50s & '60s. It wasn't until I adopted the freer hippy-flower-child look in my late teens that I realized that the headbands were the  cause of my chronic headaches!

• Love 3

I couldn't reply last week when this was fresh; we were dealing with our dying cat; I barely remember the episode.  So, just a couple of things:

I HAD a diaphragm, it was about half the diameter of the one shown.  I think it just depended on the woman it was fitted for.

About the woman dying from the blood clot from b.c. pills:  I put the blame SQUARELY on her selfish, selfish husband.  They had three healthy daughters, but daddy-o just HAD to get a son!  "Birth control pills?  But I wanted a SON!".  This phenomenon has shown itself so many times, making the mother pop out endless babies to make Dad proud of FINALLY having a baby with a penis!  Makes my blood boil.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I couldn't reply last week when this was fresh; we were dealing with our dying cat; I barely remember the episode.  So, just a couple of things:

I HAD a diaphragm, it was about half the diameter of the one shown.  I think it just depended on the woman it was fitted for.

About the woman dying from the blood clot from b.c. pills:  I put the blame SQUARELY on her selfish, selfish husband.  They had three healthy daughters, but daddy-o just HAD to get a son!  "Birth control pills?  But I wanted a SON!".  This phenomenon has shown itself so many times, making the mother pop out endless babies to make Dad proud of FINALLY having a baby with a penis!  Makes my blood boil.

So sorry to read about your kitty. Sending you cyber hugs and loving thoughts.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I'm so sorry about your cat. :(

The husband's whole "what I want is all the matters and I want a son so there's no way my wife would be taking birth control pills!" pissed me off. I know his attitude was probably the norm, but wow talk about selfish.

I wish I could say the husbands attitude was gone, but I grew up with a kid who was idk the 6th daughter the couple had and the mother just kept having kid after kid until she gave her husband the special son he so wanted. I think the family ended up with 9 kids. There was another family in the area that had 7 kids trying to get that elusive son. I've never come a crossed the opposite spectrum where the mother has son after son trying to give her husband that daughter he so craves.  

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Fireball said:

I'm so sorry about your cat. :(

The husband's whole "what I want is all the matters and I want a son so there's no way my wife would be taking birth control pills!" pissed me off. I know his attitude was probably the norm, but wow talk about selfish.

I wish I could say the husbands attitude was gone, but I grew up with a kid who was idk the 6th daughter the couple had and the mother just kept having kid after kid until she gave her husband the special son he so wanted. I think the family ended up with 9 kids. There was another family in the area that had 7 kids trying to get that elusive son. I've never come a crossed the opposite spectrum where the mother has son after son trying to give her husband that daughter he so craves.  

Thank you! :)

What really rankles about this "must have a boy-child" thing, is that the husband is the genetic donor that defines the gender of the child!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Fireball said:

I've never come a crossed the opposite spectrum where the mother has son after son trying to give her husband that daughter he so craves.  

It's not a perfect example, as I don't know if it'd be accurate to say he craved a daughter, but I remember reading an article where David Beckham said he'd like to have a daughter after his wife Victoria had had 3 boys.  (I believe she also wanted a daughter as well.)  Their fourth child was a girl.

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I really hope we don't get a repeat of Chummy and Shelagh's stories where shopping, cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing and raising a baby in pre-Pampers Poplar, was such a piece of cake it could all be done by seven in time for a day at the ante-natal clinic.  It always surprises me to see them taking their babies with them to work.  My baby was such a colicky little screamer they would have paid me to take him home and never come back.

For what it's worth, it was clear that Chummy was only working part time. There were references to her being ask to cover additional shifts and some scenes showing that she was having to juggle at home as a result.

As far as Shelagh goes, we only see her in the maternity home/doctor's office and as the receptionist/record keeper at the ante-natal clinic (which only takes place at most twice a week for certain hours). She's not out on the district rounds or taking 'woman in labor calls' at all hours from Nonnatus. Much easier to fit her childcare around and as Angela was adopted, there was no breastfeeding to have to be considered. Plus both Chummy and Shelagh's children were around 6-8 months old when they returned work, not tiny newborns. Since Angela's dad own the doctor's practice I can't imagine there was much pushback about her being brought in from time to time when the childcare fell through. And who would even notice another child in the ante-natal clinic anyway!

On the other hand, Barbara will have responsibilities as a vicar's wife and while she might be able to deal with working before children show up, she'll probably have a much harder time being a working wife and mother. I would think a baby on scene for the Herewoods would be the end of Barbara's working days for quite some time.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Ohmo said:

It's not a perfect example, as I don't know if it'd be accurate to say he craved a daughter, but I remember reading an article where David Beckham said he'd like to have a daughter after his wife Victoria had had 3 boys.  (I believe she also wanted a daughter as well.)  Their fourth child was a girl.

Interesting. I do know of couples like that who have had 3 sons and decide to try one more time for a daughter because they both want one. I've just never come a crossed a situation where the family has 8 sons trying to get that daughter the husbands really wants.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1

That woman dying from birth control pills was so sad that it overshadowed the rest of the episode for me. I couldn't switch back and forth between that tragedy and being happy about the Barbara scenes, so it was sickening to have the show going back and forth on a forced emotional roller coaster ride. All of the Barbara stuff was wasted. Which I guess is appropriate for that character.

7 hours ago, anna0852 said:

For what it's worth, it was clear that Chummy was only working part time. There were references to her being ask to cover additional shifts and some scenes showing that she was having to juggle at home as a result.

As far as Shelagh goes, we only see her in the maternity home/doctor's office and as the receptionist/record keeper at the ante-natal clinic (which only takes place at most twice a week for certain hours). She's not out on the district rounds or taking 'woman in labor calls' at all hours from Nonnatus. Much easier to fit her childcare around and as Angela was adopted, there was no breastfeeding to have to be considered. Plus both Chummy and Shelagh's children were around 6-8 months old when they returned work, not tiny newborns. Since Angela's dad own the doctor's practice I can't imagine there was much pushback about her being brought in from time to time when the childcare fell through. And who would even notice another child in the ante-natal clinic anyway!

Yes.  I still don't want to see a third repeat of the very same story.  Not all young mothers have easy babies who conveniently fit themselves around a work schedule, be it part time or not, and not all mothers find themselves bored to death at home. 

1 hour ago, SweePea59 said:

That woman dying from birth control pills was so sad that it overshadowed the rest of the episode for me. I couldn't switch back and forth between that tragedy and being happy about the Barbara scenes, so it was sickening to have the show going back and forth on a forced emotional roller coaster ride. 

I agree that this episode really didn't need a sad downer story. Do the writers need a sad storyline in every episode? However, I guess I knew something bad would happen to the women as soon as she showed up it was either going to be 1) she'd get pregnant, 2) the husband would find the BC pills and go nuts, or 3) she'd have a blood clot, so idk while it was sad it didn't affect my enjoyment of the happy Barbara scenes or maybe I was just happy that finally Barbara's story felt like it was about her.

1 hour ago, SweePea59 said:

All of the Barbara stuff was wasted. Which I guess is appropriate for that character.

Can you explain what you mean? Do you find Barbara a waste of a character? 

I've just never come a crossed a situation where the family has 8 sons trying to get that daughter the husbands really wants.

Another thing I wondered when the father said that he wanted a son was whether his wife could only carry girls.  Three children pf the same gender doesn't necessarily mean that is the case (and I doubt that was studied or known in 1962), but I wondered.  We had a neighbor family who had 7 boys.  The wife really wanted a girl, but she had two miscarriages that were both girls.  We moved away, but I believe that she eventually stopped trying because she could not carry a girl to term.

When my youngest sister was little, her pediatrician had 7 girls.  Both parents wanted a boy, but it didn't happen for them.

(edited)
On 3/13/2017 at 6:16 AM, MissLucas said:

And I may have laughed a bit too much about her mishap in the bathroom because almost the same thing happened to a good 'friend' of mine *cough*

And when there's spermicidal gel on your fingers, it's even trickier - they can shoot all the way across the room. lol.

On 3/15/2017 at 11:53 AM, OnceSane said:

Shelagh choosing Sister Julienne made sense to me.  They have had a longer, and deeper, connection than Shelagh & Phyllis.  And Dr. Turner singing with her was so touching.  Though I understand why Phyllis was disappointed.  It made me happy that Barbara chose her as her bridesmaid.

I agree. I'd almost forgotten their history, but it was very moving to have her deliver Shelagh's baby. As for Phyllis, I can see her thinking she might be the choice, she and Shelagh are simpatico, they both like rules and order, and made sure the clinic worked like clockwork together. As a person somewhat like that myself, it's a rare joy to meet and work with someone of a similar nature. So you might assume a level of closeness that might not really be there.

On 5/21/2017 at 7:36 PM, jaybird2 said:

i thought the pill came out later than '62.  i thought it came out about the time abortions were legalized.

In 1962, my mother went to the doctor to get the Pill. Because they required a Pap, they discovered cervical cancer - which saved her life. I was about 7 then. Roe v Wade and legalized abortions came at the time when I started on the Pill myself. They were indeed much higher doses. I had trouble with them. Though when I took the lower dose ones about ten years later, they were great.

On 5/25/2017 at 6:45 AM, AZChristian said:

I didn't get many, thank goodness, but my favorite one was when I was chilled to the bone one winter - and the power surge warmed me right up.

20 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

My recollection is that mine was that big - but it's been a long time and it could be just because I remember being shocked at the size. The virgin bit (we're assuming, unless Barbara and Tom were WAY more interesting than we  thought) surprised me too.

4 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

That woman dying from birth control pills was so sad that it overshadowed the rest of the episode for me. I couldn't switch back and forth between that tragedy and being happy about the Barbara scenes, so it was sickening to have the show going back and forth on a forced emotional roller coaster ride.

I had a bit of a problem myself - especially that the funeral arrangements would need to be made and it seemed likely Tom would officiate. Oddly, it's the car with the cans and shoes (?!) tied to it that made me think most about the funeral.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was in Catholic grade school during the 60's and wore alot of head bands....so much so that I can feel  a headband indent on my skull!  That said, I also wish Barbara would grow her hair out.  

At least we haven't seen the Carnaby Street heavy eyeliner,  and pale lipstick trend on Trixie---yet. 

Or mini-skirts!

So happy I'm over hot flashes!  Miserable for sleeping.   

My next door neighbors,  when I was growing up, had 4 boys and celebrated immensely when they finally had a girl. It's nice to have both.   I just have a son and miss the closeness of girls and moms, although I know it doesn't always turn or that way.  

More Patsy,  please. 

Edited by Tosia
Just life.
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

At least we haven't seen the Carnaby Street heavy eyeliner,  and pale lipstick trend on Trixie---yet. 

Or mini-skirts!

Mini-skirts didn't make out of the magazines and onto the streets until about 1967.  I bought my first one in Columbus in 1967 and it was shocking enough that when I wore it down High Street, one man drove his car up onto the sidewalk and into a parking sign. It was only about four inches above the knee and I wore pantyhose under it. If that guy is alive today he better not go out this summer!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Tosia said:

I was in Catholic grade school during the 60's and wore alot of head bands....so much so that I can feel  a headband indent on my skull!  That said, I also wish Barbara would grow her hair out.

I have a roundish head, and fine, silky hair. Elastic hairbands just slid right off. The ones with teeth though, I endured those for awhile.

1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

It was only about four inches above the knee and I wore pantyhose under it. If that guy is alive today he better not go out this summer!

This is where size matters - I'm really short so if I'd worn my mini skirts four inches above the knees, it really would have been scandalous. That being said, Mom would always hem mine an inch higher than my father's approved point. Bless her heart. He never noticed.

• Love 4
On 2017-05-23 at 7:26 PM, LadyChaos said:

I loved this season,  but I think this season probably is that season every show has  that is really just the set up for the next season. 

What I would love to see going forward is showing Barbara and Tom have have some arguments.  They rarely have any open disagreements about anything.  One of them always caves before things get heated, it kind of takes away from their relationship.  I want to see them argue over points of contention between them.  I think, that maybe, they are setting that up.  Tom’s look implied that he was not happy that Barbara decided to use birth control.  REMEMBER, this is a time before ‘My body, my choice’  Tom can’t be thrilled that she is making this choice without asking him.  I don’t even recall them every discussing children before.  Not only that, but when Tom and Trixie were engaged, he was going to take a new post and was expecting Trixie to give up midwifery to help him in his new parish.  That was one of the points that Trixie was furious about.  Now, clearly Barbara has every intention of continuing to work.  I would like this to see some development.  Some differences with them coming together, and working through it all.

I would like to see the development with Trixie and Christopher’s daughter.  Maybe having Trixie going to Shelagh for advice about possibly being a step-mother. 

I am kind of wondering if we will find out that Delia cheated on Patsy with that girl who called her a cab. I suspect that possibly they will get caught in s7, but I would like if it turns out that everyone kind of suspected.  Especially Trixie, I think she knew from the beginning.  Unfortunatly, I think Sister Juliene will say that she will have no choice but to kick them out(given the time and that Nonnatus House is a religious place), but I would love to see that everyone rally’s around for support.

Yeah I think that's half the reason I find Tom and Barbara so boring. That and Barbara is boring in general which is a much bigger sin for an tv character IMO. Frankly I hope Tom talks her out of working so we see less of her.

I kinda hope we see Patsy and Delia outed next season too. I don't think they would get universal support though and I think it would be a more interesting story if the didn't. For instance Trixie would be supportive but I don't know about Barbara (Shes such a mousy thing actually having an opinion would make a nice change) especially since Tom's job basically requires he doesn't at this time. It could be a great conflict and it bothers me when period shows include LGBTQ characters but skate over the very real hardships they faced. Realistically if they were outed Delia and Patsy would lose their home and jobs and would have to pack up and start over somewhere else. Probably somewhere quite far away. I can see Sister Juliene be conflicted about them, much like she is about the pill. She loves them and wants them to be happy but she would have trouble getting her head around the idea that what they're doing is wrong in the eyes of the church. 

On 2017-05-23 at 10:11 AM, Mumbles said:

While the stories of the Poplar residents are still compelling, the framework of the Nonnatus House is just kind of sloppy. The only thing Patsy did this season was go away. Oh and Sister Winifred learned to drive a car. Oh and they found Mary Cynthia and sent her to a nicer hospital. Never mind the first few episodes where that mean nun took over, I suspect only to set up the premise of the show's ultimate conclusion - more women on contraception, more institutionalized medicine = no need for Nonnatus.

I think you would be surprised about that. Nonnatus House itself might disappear but that's more due to a lack of nuns then patients. The clinic and district nursing still exist in some form today. The Baby Boom slows down so their not a s busy but even with more hospital births they still do baby well checks and home health checks. Shelagh and Patrick's grandkids could still be running a clinic not that different from the one they do.

Also given her vehemence about Birth Control I wonder if Valerie's secret isn't that shes a lesbian but rather is contraception or even abortion related. Giving out that sort of information outside of the family planning clinics was illegal at that time. I think that would be less contrived and potentially more interesting than another lesbian at Nonnatus. I would love for Valerie to be more of a sixties child who burns her bra and fights for womens lib.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

Also given her vehemence about Birth Control I wonder if Valerie's secret isn't that shes a lesbian but rather is contraception or even abortion related.

when Valerie spoke up, I was immediately thinking something out of wedlock - abortion or putting a kid up for adoption.  I doubt there would be two LGBTQ threads even with Patsy and Delia leaving. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:01 PM, Emily Thrace said:

Yeah I think that's half the reason I find Tom and Barbara so boring. That and Barbara is boring in general which is a much bigger sin for an tv character IMO. Frankly I hope Tom talks her out of working so we see less of her.

The problem with Barbara imo is the writers don't seem to care about her other than as a plot device. I actually like the character, but I wish that she was fleshed out more. I don't want to see less of Barbara; if that happens imo we'll see even more of Trixie who I am honestly getting a bit tired of.

Edited by Fireball
typo
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

when Valerie spoke up, I was immediately thinking something out of wedlock - abortion or putting a kid up for adoption.  I doubt there would be two LGBTQ threads even with Patsy and Delia leaving. 

I think that with a history of being in the army and then a barmaid, there may be a married man in her life - past or present???

• Love 2
Just now, AZChristian said:

I think that with a history of being in the army and then a barmaid, there may be a married man in her life - past or present???

Possibly.  I wonder if living with her mum is significant as well.  Hiding?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I kind of hope they don't do the married man storyline again; the writers did that one with Jenny. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Fireball said:

I kind of hope they don't do the married man storyline again; the writers did that one with Jenny. 

I completely forgot about that.  Jenny obviously didn't make much of an impression.  Then I guess it will probably be an abortion in the past.  We have to cover all of those social issues!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Fireball said:

The problem with Barbara imo is the writers don't seem to care about her other then a plot device. I actually like the character, but I wish that she was flushed out more. I

I like Trixie, but I also agree with this.  Unfortunately, I think the same thing happened to Patsy.  When she first appeared, I remember being very interested in the fact that she had spent her formative years in a camp in the Pacific.  Not that I wanted blood and gory details, but I wanted the writers to at least infuse some more historical information about Patsy's backstory.  Instead, Patsy as a character mostly became about the fact that she and Delia were in a relationship.  I understand that it would have been a huge deal for the time period, but after awhile I was ready to hear more about Patsy the person instead of only Patsy as Delia's partner.  Missed opportunity.

I'd like to hear more about Barbara's mother.  I also like Tom and Barbara together, but I'd like to know if any secular activities or hobbies ever interested Barbara.  Her father's a vicar.  She's now married to a vicar, and she works with a bunch of nuns.  The life she leads is very influenced by religion.  Was that just a natural choice for her given her upbringing, or did she ever have any desire to venture outside that sphere?

• Love 5
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:45 PM, Ohmo said:

I like Trixie, but I also agree with this. Unfortunately, I think the same thing happened to Patsy.  When she first appeared, I remember being very interested in the fact that she had spent her formative years in a camp in the Pacific.  Not that I wanted blood and gory details, but I wanted the writers to at least infuse some more historical information about Patsy's backstory.  Instead, Patsy as a character mostly became about the fact that she and Delia were in a relationship.  I understand that it would have been a huge deal for the time period, but after awhile I was ready to hear more about Patsy the person instead of only Patsy as Delia's partner.  Missed opportunity.

I'd like to hear more about Barbara's mother.  I also like Tom and Barbara together, but I'd like to know if any secular activities or hobbies ever interested Barbara.  Her father's a vicar.  She's now married to a vicar, and she works with a bunch of nuns.  The life she leads is very influenced by religion.  Was that just a natural choice for her given her upbringing, or did she ever have any desire to venture outside that sphere?

I go back and forth with Trixie. I use to really like her, but idk I'm starting to get tired of her.

I was also very interested in Patsy when she was first introduced, but really her character just like Barbara is/was never fleshed out.  I also agree with you that it would be nice to learn more about Barbara, but I don't see it happening. The writers seem to have no interest in developing the new characters. 

Edited by Fireball
spelling
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Fireball said:

I also agree with you that it would also be nice to learn more about Barbara, but I don't see it happening

I think it could happen/we have the possibility of getting more because Patsy, Delia, and Sister MC are leaving.  The writers HAVE to develop someone besides Shelagh/Patrick and family.  The nuns do not have a large amount of backstory to mine.  I'm with you that I don't think we'll get oodles of content for Barbara, but I'm hoping we'll get some for her, some for Trixie, some for Valerie, and probably a bit for the new midwife who's going to arrive.

(edited)
On 5/22/2017 at 3:17 PM, jschoolgirl said:

I wonder how much a carousel would have cost and how much time it would take to order and set up.

I find it best as far as enjoying the show, not to overthink these things.

Edited by anniebird
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, Fireball said:

I go back and forth with Trixie. I use to really like her, but idk I'm starting to get tired of her.

I was also very interested in Patsy when she was first introduced, but really her character just like Barbara is/was never flushed out.  I also agree with you that it would be nice to learn more about Barbara, but I don't see it happening. The writers seem to have no interest in developing the new characters. 

I love this show and still like Trixie but I am getting really bored with the Turners.  Perhaps I'm the only one.

I also hope that the show fleshes* out Valerie, Barbara, and Christopher characters as I agree they are all rather one note.  Perhaps with the departures of the Patsy, Delia and Sister Mary Cynthia actors they will have the time to do that.  I agree they should have spent more time on Patsy's back story too.

*  To "flesh out" - to add details as opposed to "flush out" - to clean something out with a flow of liquid.  Think toilets. :)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Diffy said:

I love this show and still like Trixie but I am getting really bored with the Turners.  Perhaps I'm the only one.

I'm not so much bored with the Turners as much as I think I could spend a little less time with them, and open up the show to some of the others. I do love them, but I don't really need to see them all the time.

On 5/27/2017 at 11:26 AM, Fireball said:

Can you explain what you mean? Do you find Barbara a waste of a character? 

Not at all. More like she usually gets the short end of the stick. So when there is finally a big happy event for her (where she's not wearing hand-me-downs and so forth) the show chose to overshadow the character's story with the extreme sadness from the other story line, just like it seems that the character Barbara herself usually gets over shadowed in life. I know what I mean, I'm just sorry I can't explain it better. But the show is unnecessarily treating her story the same way that they write that life treats her.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Diffy said:

*  To "flesh out" - to add details as opposed to "flush out" - to clean something out with a flow of liquid.  Think toilets. :)

You were probably trying to be nice which I thank you for, but all you did was make me feel stupid and self conscious. :(  I would have preferred a PM correcting my spelling.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Diffy said:

I also hope that the show fleshes* out Valerie, Barbara, and Christopher characters as I agree they are all rather one note.  Perhaps with the departures of the Patsy, Delia and Sister Mary Cynthia actors they will have the time to do that.  I agree they should have spent more time on Patsy's back story too.

Well, Valerie and Christopher were only introduced this season, so their somewhat one-dimensionness hasn't bothered me.  I do think that there is more to Valerie than we have yet seen, and hopefully we get into more of that next season.  As for Christopher, I'm sure he's destined to be a secondary character and there to add to Trixie's character, which I'm honestly okay with (plus, I really don't want a bunch of graphic dental scenes).

Barbara...well, I guess that they could delve into her adjusting to being a wife/vicar's wife next season, but I feel like that (at least the general wife part) has already been done.  I think she's a pleasant enough character, but that's as far as it goes.  They've had a couple of seasons to make her more compelling and it hasn't happened yet, so I don't suspect it will happen next season.

In terms of stories for Barbara, I think it's worth noting that Charlotte Ritchie is going to be in a West End play that runs for a lot of the filming period. It's not a touring play (which is what made Helen George miss two episodes of season six), so she should have time in the days to film, but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets less screen time for a while. Also, Charlotte Ritchie has been one of the most active cast members in terms of filming other projects while also filming CtM. She was in three regular shows until recently. I think her busy schedule might have something to do with why Barbara hasn't had as prominent a role in season 6. 

As for the Turners, I personally love them and would watch a spin-off show that was just about them. I didn't think they got too much screen time, but as I just wrote, I'm biased. It is an ensemble show, though, and I have thought that the size of the cast may have made it difficult to feature everyone more equally.  Now that four cast members are leaving and only one appears to be joining, maybe there will be more room for more characters' stories (although Ben Caplan has been basically a minor character since Chummy left so I don't know if his absence will make a whole lot of difference). 

I actually thought Phyllis (who I also love) got the most screen time in season 6 and sometimes I felt like I was watching the Phyllis Crane Show. I think some of that had to do with re-writing because of Miranda Hart's backing out at the last minute. I think some of the stories that were originally planned for Chummy were given to Phyllis instead (noting that Phyllis took over the Cubs, which had been Chummy's role when she was on the show). 

• Love 1

I'm not surprised to hear that Patsy and Delia are leaving, since their dialogue in their final scene pointed that way. Patsy had been back for all of five seconds and was already talking about going away again and that this time Delia would go with her. At least Emerald Fennel did a cameo so that the couple could have a happy ending. I'll miss Patsy as I always wanted to learn more about her backstory, but it sounds like Fennel wants to focus on her writing projects.

• Love 4

I think she's a pleasant enough character, but that's as far as it goes.  

I think Barbara and Sheilagh are like a lot of people, nice, but basically pretty bland. Nothing wrong with that. They're the ones who make everyone else look colorful.

I hope the new nurse retains her personality but remains private about it. I like a little mystery in people.  I'm not one of those people who needs a complete bio on all my friends. It took me 18 years to find out how one friend ended up with a glass eye. I waited for her to tell me. It was kind of fun being able to describe so much about her except that one key (and noticeable) thing. Honestly, when I did find out, I was kind of disappointed because it became almost a game to me to see how much time would pass before I ever learned The Story of the Eye.

• Love 2