Type keyword(s) to search

Tinsley Mortimer: Former High Society "IT Girl"

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Good lord. The furnishings in that house. I am sure it is rich people stuff and I probably have no taste. But just no. 

Like it was decorated by Jill Zarin's chintz doppelgänger.

• Love 5
(edited)

Looool

Well, to be even more fair, that pic does look like it is a decade or two (or even more) old. It would be interesting to see the family's current tastes as of today...though isn't mom in Florida now?

But yes, their taste is not good, even if it is of it's place and time.

All kidding aside, I hope Tinsley does get her life back on track. But she needs to avoid Miami as much as possible.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 6
(edited)

Fair enough......but do I have bad taste or do they?? Please say they do. 

That was the 80's. Would any home decor from the 80's pass as good taste today?

kind of reminds me of Sonya's current furnishings and design. 

Edited by Lemons
  • Love 15

Fair enough......but do I have bad taste or do they?? Please say they do. 

They have ALL the bad taste, MCM ; )  That room is a really, really bad take on that style, even for the eighties. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Lemons said:

That was the 80's. Would any home decor from the 80's pass as good taste today?

kind of reminds me of Sonya's current furnishings and design. 

It's very 1980s. I'll give them a pass. 

Does anyone know if Tinsley rented the UES apartment shown on the last ep? I can't imagine paying $9000 for rent. If you have that load of cash, buy it and then it's an investment. She seems to be settling in NYC long term.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Atlanta said:

It's very 1980s. I'll give them a pass. 

Does anyone know if Tinsley rented the UES apartment shown on the last ep? I can't imagine paying $9000 for rent. If you have that load of cash, buy it and then it's an investment. She seems to be settling in NYC long term.

I believe she moved into a hotel in March.  Haven't read about an apartment.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, rhys said:

Where's Tinsley's family $$ from?

From 2010:

"Meet Major General George Mercer. He's not really a Major General, he just calls himself that on Facebook, and his pictures are so fantastic that we'll oblige him in this. The photo at left is his actual Facebook profile, which he himself captioned "Peace."

The Major General is 64 years old, and according to Wikipedia, a "Real Estate Investor", who can trace his fortune to his father's Mercer Rug Cleansing Company, and his lineage, purportedly, to Patrick Henry and James Madison."

http://guestofaguest.com/new-york/tinsley-mortimer/tinsley-mortimers-dad-george-mercer-model-of-a-modern-major-general

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, film noire said:

From 2010:

"Meet Major General George Mercer. He's not really a Major General, he just calls himself that on Facebook, and his pictures are so fantastic that we'll oblige him in this. The photo at left is his actual Facebook profile, which he himself captioned "Peace."

The Major General is 64 years old, and according to Wikipedia, a "Real Estate Investor", who can trace his fortune to his father's Mercer Rug Cleansing Company, and his lineage, purportedly, to Patrick Henry and James Madison."

http://guestofaguest.com/new-york/tinsley-mortimer/tinsley-mortimers-dad-george-mercer-model-of-a-modern-major-general

I think it's clear where her shame and self-loathing come from considering her dad was a rug salesman.

Edited by lunastartron
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

Ugh, I know I just said I was out of this, but I find the personal attack a bit much and I feel entitled to respond to the following:

Without violating the privacy of a person very close to me, I will just say that you are quite wrong.  I actually do have some personal experience in abusive relationships. Perhaps it is this experience I have had which is so similar to Bethenny's that makes me think I understand what she was getting at with the "abused" thing she said about Tinsley.  It's hard to watch a person you care about choose over and over to make self-destructive decisions and you can start to lose patience with the behavior.  That frustration doesn't mean you don't understand the psychology involved, it just means your personal experience has lead you to seeing such things from a different perspective.  I mean when you've helped someone locate her teeth in a dark basement after her husband shoved her down the stairs and they were knocked out then witnessed her making him breakfast the next morning as if nothing happened, speaking about domestic violence in platitudes and slogans seems rather pointless.  And ignorant.   

I think perhaps the lack of understanding of what it is like to be in a abusive relationship you suggest I am showing is in reality being demonstrated by people who are making sweeping generalizations about abuse victims, suggesting they are all helpless, hopeless people whose victim mentality should be reinforced because they are as a group completely unable to do anything to keep themselves safe.  I don't agree with that line of thought - I actually find that to be cruel (and useless and even sometimes dangerous, to boot). I would hazard a guess that Bethenny Frankel feels the same way.

YES.  Not to mention the fact that Beth was a child who watched her mom get the shit beaten out of her regularly and yet, stay in the relationship causing Beth to be further traumatized.  I'm willing to wager Beth has a bit of hostility towards Tinsley for staying in that relationship (to the point where she's violating a restraining order to get back to him) despite having every resource imaginable that would allow her to leave.

• Love 5
(edited)
8 minutes ago, lezlers said:

YES.  Not to mention the fact that Beth was a child who watched her mom get the shit beaten out of her regularly and yet, stay in the relationship causing Beth to be further traumatized.  I'm willing to wager Beth has a bit of hostility towards Tinsley for staying in that relationship (to the point where she's violating a restraining order to get back to him) despite having every resource imaginable that would allow her to leave.

Yea, NO! By the time Tinsley joined the show, she was no longer with that abusive ass and hadn't seen him for months. So, if we go by your hypothesis, Bethenny should have been cheering/supporting Tinsley moving on and fighting to get her life back but Nope, Bethenny didn't do that.

Edited by WireWrap
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, WireWrap said:

Yea, NO! By the time Tinsley joined the show, she was no longer with that abusive ass and hadn't seen him for months. So, if we go by your hypothesis, Bethenny should have been cheering/supporting Tinsley moving on and fighting to get her life back but Nope, Bethenny didn't do that.

I think it might take some time for folks to get there with Tinsley. To some it seems like she is only not with the abusive asshole because she was arrested. One could wonder if she would have left had it not been for that. Not that it particularly matters why she is not with him at the end of the day if she gets her life together and gets the therapy she needs so that she doesn't fall into the same pattern. That is my hope for her. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, lezlers said:

It would be contradictory for Bethenny to be frustrated with Tinsley for operating through a lens of abuse and victimization less than a year after her last encounter with Fanjul ... while operating herself through the lens of childhood trauma that is twenty-five to forty years in the past. 

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

I think it might take some time for folks to get there with Tinsley. To some it seems like she is only not with the abusive asshole because she was arrested. One could wonder if she would have left had it not been for that. Not that it particularly matters why she is not with him at the end of the day if she gets her life together and gets the therapy she needs so that she doesn't fall into the same pattern. That is my hope for her. 

I think Tinsley is on the right path now but it is more the norm for the abused to return time and time again to the abuser than leaving after the first hit. I do agree, her arrest made her able to break that typical abuse pattern, sadly, it doesn't for many DV victims though.

Just now, lunastartron said:

It would be contradictory for Bethenny to be frustrated with Tinsley for operating through a lens of abuse and victimization less than a year after her last encounter with Fanjul ... while operating herself through the lens of childhood trauma that is twenty-five to forty years in the past. 

Dammit, no one and I mean NO ONE is allowed to get more sympathy or support than Bethenny gets, ever, no matter the reason! Don't forget, that no one has ever had it as bad as Bethenny has had, ever, Oh and no one is as successful (without any help whatsoever to boot) as Bethenny is ever either and don't you/we forget (because she will just keep reminding us over and over and over)! LOL

• Love 6

Heck, if it weren't for the arrest Tins may still have been in love with this guy.  That's the cycle of abuse.  I know it's hard for some people to understand but people get to this place where they just don't have any self worth.  It doesn't matter if they're rich or poor or whatever.

The arrest and the humiliation of that arrest woke her up. The trigger, in this instance, doesn't matter.  Thankfully, she woke up.  She started filming RHNY six months after the arrest.  It's still raw.  This episode was filmed less than a year after the arrest. 

Yeah, I get that she was afraid of being in that basement bedroom by herself.  I get that she didn't want to live alone.  Sorry Beth but it's not quite as simple as 'if you don't like the situation with Sonja, then just move into a hotel'.  That's such an oversimplification.  Crap.  Beth is still talking about her childhood and she's in her mid forties. 

• Love 7

I'm willing to wager Beth has a bit of hostility towards Tinsley for staying in that relationship (to the point where she's violating a restraining order to get back to him) despite having every resource imaginable that would allow her to leave.

I don't think we've seen much in the way of hostility from Bethenny towards Tinsley.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, lunastartron said:

But I don't think that Tinsley has made any of this clear at this point. Her abuse claim is vague at best. She talks more about humiliation, being wronged in the arrest, and the victim of a bad relationship. She hasn't talked about the actual abuse she suffered. 

I know there are a ton of articles about her out there, but if you look at them, a good portion of the ones that were out when they were filming were more about her arrest. I know there are a few that talk about the abuse (and I believe you posted an excellent one a few days ago Luna) but they are kind of rare in comparison to the ones that either don't mention it, or talk about it more in terms of a dysfunctional relationship. Many focused more on the arrest and her bad decision making. Most of the ones that detail the abuse and talk about Tinsley's story and struggle are ones that came out around the time the show premiered, when interest in Tinsley was high and she was telling her story. Depending on how you Google her, you get very conflicting stories about her, the arrest, and the abuse. 

Which is not meant to minimize what she went through. I just think it is very complex. It isn't the domestic violence story many have heard before, in large part because of the way it was reported by various organizations. Sometimes she was a victim, other times a spoiled child who got pissy when she didn't get her way and her boyfriend didn't want her any longer. Sometimes just very troubled. 

• Love 4

True, she acts like a spoiled child at times however even princesses are abused at times.

I believe her story and I can totally understand why she would be embarrassed by a mug shot.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, LIMOM said:

True, she acts like a spoiled child at times however even princesses are abused at times.

I believe her story and I can totally understand why she would be embarrassed by a mug shot.

I do like how she grabbed the bull by the horns and joked and talked about her mug shot (sometimes, if you don't laugh, you'll cry). 

• Love 7

Re: Domestic Violence Victims

My family saves those hotel soaps, shampoos, lotions etc. When we have a bunch I go to the Dollar Tree and get small gift bags. Then I pack all the samples (I collect perfume ones, really any personal care products) into a "care bag". I deliver them to my local shelter for them to pass out to people who show up with nothing more than the clothes on their back or any others that they deem necessary. 

I've read in many threads that a lot of you travel. Save your samples and give a gift of caring to your local shelter. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

My family saves those hotel soaps, shampoos, lotions etc. When we have a bunch I go to the Dollar Tree and get small gift bags. Then I pack all the samples (I collect perfume ones, really any personal care products) into a "care bag". I deliver them to my local shelter for them to pass out to people who show up with nothing more than the clothes on their back or any others that they deem necessary. 

I've read in many threads that a lot of you travel. Save your samples and give a gift of caring to your local shelter. 

I travel to projects that have lots of people traveling in on a weekly basis.  We set up one of the office waste baskets with a sign.  We can fill that thing every week.  There are permenant folks on a waiting list for their favorite shelters.  Also look around next time you go to the salon, look around.  A lot of salon's have collection points as well.  Hairdressers in MN receive training on spotting DV and sex trafficking victims.

• Love 6

I do wonder if Tinsley isn't trying a 'Paris Hilton Sex Tape' PR move.  Own it and monetize it.  The problem for Tinsley is that when the abuse was most visible she chose to hide it.  Then long after the RO was in effect she gets arrested.  They release a 911 that seems to illustrate the claim that Tinsley is an out of control stalker.  So the script is written.  It's hard to garner sympathy at this point.  And if she was trying to get a good settlement in a divorce this would be so convoluted that she could end upo paying him.  It's impossible to look at it now and make sense of it.  And that's not that common but it does happen in DV.

Her BIG mistake sitting at that table was whining that no one's problems were as public as hers.  Does she live under a rock?  At least 4  women at that table were PageSix headlines during their break ups.  And Tinsley sweetie, don't tell me you don't check PageSix everyday, even in Palm Beach.  I saw you little reality show.  You lived for PageSix.  So if you want them on your side you say, you need to help me through this since all of you have had this public humiliation at the hands of an ex.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, QuinnM said:

I do wonder if Tinsley isn't trying a 'Paris Hilton Sex Tape' PR move.  Own it and monetize it.  The problem for Tinsley is that when the abuse was most visible she chose to hide it.  Then long after the RO was in effect she gets arrested.  They release a 911 that seems to illustrate the claim that Tinsley is an out of control stalker.  So the script is written.  It's hard to garner sympathy at this point.  And if she was trying to get a good settlement in a divorce this would be so convoluted that she could end upo paying him.  It's impossible to look at it now and make sense of it.  And that's not that common but it does happen in DV.

Her BIG mistake sitting at that table was whining that no one's problems were as public as hers.  Does she live under a rock?  At least 4  women at that table were PageSix headlines during their break ups.  And Tinsley sweetie, don't tell me you don't check PageSix everyday, even in Palm Beach.  I saw you little reality show.  You lived for PageSix.  So if you want them on your side you say, you need to help me through this since all of you have had this public humiliation at the hands of an ex.

I just don't see how Domestic Violence and sex tapes equate.  Tinsley took responsibility for going back and trying to retrieve her bag, credit card, et al.   I have great sympathy for someone who gets beaten, has videos pf an idiot destroying their car.    There was and is no divorce, if there is no argument for monetary gain.

In the group of people she was in-no chance to tell her tale..  She is the only one with an arrest and they cannot imagine what that is like-well except Sonja she got arrested on DUI. It is not about the break up it is about the breakdown.  It is about waking up the following day with a black eye, it is about one of your cast mates characterizing your situation as "abusive".  What Tinsley could not relate to is Domestic Violence versus divorce wars.  Dorinda and Carole didn't have Page Six break ups, Sonja didn't -someone needed to step up and they chose to move on.  Bethenny is still lobbying to be the victim and it would be odd for her to help a stalker as you have classified Tinsley.  For the most part Ramona and Bethenny did their fair share to cause Luannn humiliation.  What was Luann suppose to say-don't be friends with these bitches?

• Love 6
(edited)
10 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

She hasn't talked about the actual abuse she suffered. 

She did.  "Physical abuse" was the phrase Tinsley used at that very dinner (Luna posted the exchange of dialogue between Bethenny and Tinsley in the episode thread).

10 hours ago, LIMOM said:

Me, too -- a mugshot, plus public photos of your battered face and body -- not a single woman at that table would have traded places with Tinsley, which proves how much worse she had it, publicity-wise, than they did. Even these self centered fame whores should have been aware of that.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Thank you so much for posting this. I am embarrassed to admit I don't do this, but I am going to make it part of my routine.  

I know this is a really stupid question, and hardly important in the context of what Tinsley suffered through, but does anyone know if her purse was in his house? I have read that this is the reason she was there, but that he denied it was there. Then I have read about the arrest and her being at the police station, but no where does it answer the question as to whether or not the poor girl was able to find her purse. 

8 minutes ago, film noire said:

She did.  "Physical abuse" was the phrase Tinsley used at that very dinner (Luna posted the exchange of dialogue between Bethenny and Tinsley in the episode thread).

True, but many of the early articles (the ones posted before she joined the show - the ones right after it happened) talk about them both getting physical with each other, and don't talk too much about the stuff that she specifically went through. The early articles made it sound more like they were both equally brutal with each other. 

• Love 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

I just don't see how Domestic Violence and sex tapes equate.  Tinsley took responsibility for going back and trying to retrieve her bag, credit card, et al.   I have great sympathy for someone who gets beaten, has videos pf an idiot destroying their car.    There was and is no divorce, if there is no argument for monetary gain.

I'm not the original poster, but I think what was being referenced was the idea of taking some kind of unpleasant situation (like being abused) and turning it into another kind of opportunity (victim advocacy), the way Paris Hilton parlayed a sex tape into world-wide fame.  And I think the mention of a divorce was just a way to demonstrate how having a bad spin put on your behavior might cost you,  not a suggestion an actual divorce settlement is an issue.  At least that is how I took it.

4 hours ago, QuinnM said:

I agree.  If Tinsley is thinking of making this her "cause" she is not going to get very far, given all the stories about her own behavior that have come out.  Shocking photographs of her notwithstanding, at present she does not come across as the sympathetic textbook case of domestic violence that causes everyone to have a knee-jerk reaction of unconditional support.  Being arrested for trespassing at the home of her ex who had obtained a restraining order against her and moved on with another woman is what puts it over the top, obviously.  In the eyes of many, her narrative has shifted from being a straight-up victim of this guy to her being a portrayed as a stalker.  It doesn't justify anyone putting his hands on her at all, but it does diminish her ability to move forward as some kind of victim's advocate.  The arrest is just this huge glaring thing that sets her apart and I don't think too many women out there are going to identify with her at this point.  And should she seek out that kind of role, you know that at some point she would be put on the spot and grilled about her own behavior.  I don't think it would be good for her to put herself through that. I'm not sure she is strong enough for that yet, not if she still has to drink herself to sleep at night and suffers from nightmares.

It's a shame because her experiences are real and no doubt would resonate with some.  And she showed a decent (if not altogether impressive) amount of insight into her own behavior during her counseling session.  But after Bravo gets done with her, who knows what her reputation will be.  

I think most of the housewives are better off sticking to writing cookbooks and hawking crap on EVINE.  Using one of these shows to springboard a career as a serious ... anything ... is an extremely risky venture.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Thank you so much for posting this. I am embarrassed to admit I don't do this, but I am going to make it part of my routine.  

I know this is a really stupid question, and hardly important in the context of what Tinsley suffered through, but does anyone know if her purse was in his house? I have read that this is the reason she was there, but that he denied it was there. Then I have read about the arrest and her being at the police station, but no where does it answer the question as to whether or not the poor girl was able to find her purse. 

True, but many of the early articles (the ones posted before she joined the show - the ones right after it happened) talk about them both getting physical with each other, and don't talk too much about the stuff that she specifically went through. The early articles made it sound more like they were both equally brutal with each other. 

There was never an article about them being equally brutal that I recall reading.  He had some scratches and she had black eyes, bruises and staples to her head.  She was feeling pretty powerless working against a sugar dynasty.  He also is on video smashing the windshield of her mother's Range Rover to get to Tinsley.  How much danger are you in from a person locked in their car, that you rip off the windshield wipers and break the windshield? 

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

The early articles made it sound more like they were both equally brutal with each other. 

Right -- but (if I read you correctly) you were talking about what Tinsley herself said ("She hasn't talked about the actual abuse she suffered") and she did, actually,  talk about the physical abuse, directly to Bethenny.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I'm not the original poster, but I think what was being referenced was the idea of taking some kind of unpleasant situation (like being abused) and turning it into another kind of opportunity (victim advocacy), the way Paris Hilton parlayed a sex tape into world-wide fame.  And I think the mention of a divorce was just a way to demonstrate how having a bad spin put on your behavior might cost you,  not a suggestion an actual divorce settlement is an issue.  At least that is how I took it.

I agree.  If Tinsley is thinking of making this her "cause" she is not going to get very far, given all the stories about her own behavior that have come out.  Shocking photographs of her notwithstanding, at present she does not come across as the sympathetic textbook case of domestic violence that causes everyone to have a knee-jerk reaction of unconditional support.  Being arrested for trespassing at the home of her ex who had obtained a restraining order against her and moved on with another woman is what puts it over the top, obviously.  In the eyes of many, her narrative has shifted from being a straight-up victim of this guy to her being a portrayed as a stalker.  It doesn't justify anyone putting his hands on her at all, but it does diminish her ability to move forward as some kind of victim's advocate.  The arrest is just this huge glaring thing that sets her apart and I don't think too many women out there are going to identify with her at this point.  And should she seek out that kind of role, you know that at some point she would be put on the spot and grilled about her own behavior.  I don't think it would be good for her to put herself through that. I'm not sure she is strong enough for that yet, not if she still has to drink herself to sleep at night and suffers from nightmares.

It's a shame because her experiences are real and no doubt would resonate with some.  And she showed a decent (if not altogether impressive) amount of insight into her own behavior during her counseling session.  But after Bravo gets done with her, who knows what her reputation will be.  

I think most of the housewives are better off sticking to writing cookbooks and hawking crap on EVINE.  Using one of these shows to springboard a career as a serious ... anything ... is an extremely risky venture.

As much as I loathe Paris Hilton her success has little to do with the sex tape.  She has managed to rack up over two billion in perfume sales.  She made no money off the sex tape and in fact had to spend money to get it off the market.  Women don't buy products from a hot sex tape.   Paris had been marketed from birth and it worked. 

Tinsley has never said this is her cause, she has said this is what is in her nightmares as you have stated.  She is not in it to encourage donations of free courtesy shampoo, she wants to leave it behind. 

This is not Bravo's first attempt to highlight DV. They failed miserably with Taylor Armstrong because the abuser committed suicide.  There seem to be more people blaming the victim than the abuser. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

As much as I loathe Paris Hilton her success has little to do with the sex tape.  She has managed to rack up over two billion in perfume sales.  She made no money off the sex tape and in fact had to spend money to get it off the market.  Women don't buy products from a hot sex tape.   Paris had been marketed from birth and it worked. 

She was a little nobody with a famous last name.  She made her name off a sex tape.  She took that notoriety and monetized it.  Kim K was a stylist/closet organizer until her sex tape.  Folks see her as learning from Paris.  I didn't mean that she made millions from a sex tape.  

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Funny, all that marketing seems to have only worked once her sex tape leaked,  lol

9 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

She was a little nobody with a famous last name.  She made her name off a sex tape.  She took that notoriety and monetized it.  Kim K was a stylist/closet organizer until her sex tape.  Folks see her as learning from Paris.  I didn't mean that she made millions from a sex tape.  

No, the sex tapes themselves didn't make them rich ... but they are indisputably what put both of them on the public's radar, I totally agree. 

There would have never been a perfume to sell without it. No magazine covers, no reality tv shows.  No baller husbands, lol. 

Tinsley has never said this is her cause, she has said this is what is in her nightmares as you have stated.

No one claimed Tinsley said it was her cause.  We are just speculating about how successful she might be if she tried to make it her cause.

She is not in it to encourage donations of free courtesy shampoo, she wants to leave it behind. 

Then why is she on a TV reality show talking about it?

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

I think a lot of the wealth that the Kardashians have is due to their micromanaging mother Kris. She has sought PR (good or bad in the beginning) to get her girls names out there and the endorsements rolling in. Yes, KK made the tape but her mother marketed her name and image. That is for a percentage, ?%, she put in the work. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, QuinnM said:

She had it going on, even our POTUS commented she had it going on at age 13 as a pre-it girl in NY, and she worked for the Trump Modeling Agency (vomit). You  have no idea how much it pains me to reference both Trump and Paris Hilton.  Paris had been nicknamed Star since birth (puke).  Her reality show was set to premiers hours  before Solomon released the tapes so she was getting some press-she had a network show.  I think we may both disagree with these two awful examples of human beings,  With or without the sex tapes they were set to launch.  I believe it had a lot to do with  time and place in society as a whole. 

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

That is just not correct, even our POTUS commented she had it going on at age 13 as a pre-it girl in NY, and she worked for the Trump Modeling Agency (vomit). You  have no idea how much it pains me to reference both Trump and Paris Hilton.  Paris had been nicknamed Star since birth (puke).  Her reality show was set to premiers hours  before Solomon released the tapes so she was getting some press-she had a network show.  I think we disagree with these two awful examples of human beings,  With or without the sex tapes they were set to launch.  I believe it had a lot to do with  time and place in society as a whole. 

I think that I misread your comment because I was solely speaking about KK. I know. Off subject. Yes, I agree that Paris Hilton was marked at an early age for notoriety. KimK didn't have any until she came out of the closet (in reference to QuinnM's comment) and made the sex tape. Then her mother Kris K marketed the hell of of her. 

I think Tinsley was brought up to be what she WAS. An educated UES girl who married well and lived her life in society. 

Seriously. People here are saying she was as just physically brutal to Fanjul, or whatever his name is? Please tell me I'm misinterpreting it. TM is skeletal. You can't tell me that unless she had a baseball bat and caught him unaware, she was brutal to him. Maybe she was psychologically abusive, but that would be pretty hard to prove. Eek. Blaming the victim.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, zoeysmom said:

Tinsley has never said this is her cause, she has said this is what is in her nightmares as you have stated.  She is not in it to encourage donations of free courtesy shampoo, she wants to leave it behind. 

This is not Bravo's first attempt to highlight DV. They failed miserably with Taylor Armstrong because the abuser committed suicide.  There seem to be more people blaming the victim than the abuser. 

I haven't really seen anyone blaming the victim here. I remember when Taylor told of being abused.  The "other site" was very anti-Taylor. I'm one of the very few who believed her.  The rest didn't just blame the victim.  They denied she was a victim.  It was a rather hostile environment for those who didn't think that way.  The mod not only encouraged this, she flat out posted that Taylor was a liar and a psycho.  Taylor drove her poor husband to suicide with her false accusations.  Nothing here comes anywhere near that level for Tinsley. Minus the mod, I think if anyone is getting the Taylor treatment it's Beth.  For all of the constant exclamations that no one must ever doubt a victim's claims, or in any way, shape, or form even slightly question an abuse claim, many of the very same people not only mock Beth's claims, they twist in knots to portray Jason as  the poor, bereaved, battered husband.  Just as Russell was turned into the poor victim.  

I am no Beth fan, but if someone posted Beth with a black eye and staples in her head, it wouldn't matter if there were twenty strangers who testified in court that they saw Jason do it.  The response would be - she did it to herself to steal Jason's child, and her money and power paid off all the witnesses, the cops, the judge, and the jury.  She probably also paid a makeup artist and photoshopped the pic.  It's a glaring double standard on these threads, where someone who is charged with multiple offenses is excused away with some of the most creative alternative truths  and fantastical possibilities I've ever seen.  Yet in this very thread, posters who do not buy 100% into Tinsley's story by pointing out the restraining order and the fact that Tins was screaming about her "boyfriend" being with another woman, have been flat out accused of misogyny and victim blaming.  

• Love 8
(edited)
10 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I am no Beth fan, but if someone posted Beth with a black eye and staples in her head, it wouldn't matter if there were twenty strangers who testified in court that they saw Jason do it.  

I've gone from liking Frankel to finding her truly creepy, but if she had the same situation as Tinsley,  I'd want Hoppy strung from the nearest tree. (And if he stalked her, he should pay dearly for that.)

I haven't really seen anyone blaming the victim here.

I have (but that's all personal perspective & mileage varies,  etc)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 9
(edited)

I've had friends and relatives in mentally and physically abusive relationships. It's not cut and dried. With one friend in particular, she married the guy, divorced, remarried him and finally woke up and ditched him for good. It's not linear. I'm married to a fabulous man and it's hard for me to understand, but I saw my good friend go through it. It's tough. You see your BFF with bruises on her arms. She won't listen to you so you talk to her dad who you are friends with and she gets mad for telling the dad. You care about your friend and want her to get out of that sitch. She then turns on you. We wound up not talking for years. Thankfully, we've reconnected and are close again. That dirtbag is long gone, but he is also "dad' who has nothing to do with his children. I put dad in quotation marks because I view him as a sperm donor. My friend has since found a wonderful man who treats her like the queen she is.

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, film noire said:

Right -- but (if I read you correctly) you were talking about what Tinsley herself said ("She hasn't talked about the actual abuse she suffered") and she did, actually,  talk about the physical abuse, directly to Bethenny.

But she hasn't talked about it. I think I am making my point poorly. She has talked about being physically abused, but hasn't talked about what it was. That it was long-term, constant. That she was afraid of him. That she was bloodied and had staples put in her head. For all they know the physical abuse was of the sort some of the stories mentioned - that they both had a go at each other. Again, I just don't think that if they understood exactly what she was saying that Lu would have so casually said "we've all been through the exact same thing". Do you think that Lu would have said that had she understood exactly what Tinsley was saying? Lu can come across as unsympathetic and completely into her own issues, but it is just hard for me to believe that she would so easily dismiss someone else's story with a basic "yea, we've all been there". 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

There seem to be more people blaming the victim than the abuser. 

God, we don't need that over here. There is enough of that over on the Beth/Jason divorce thread. The gal might have made some questionable decisions and behaved poorly, but she didn't deserve to be hit. Not ever. No matter what kinds of choices she has made in the past. 

I am certainly clear on who is the victim and who is the abuser. The guy should be in jail. The real shame here - well in addition to Tinsley's abuse - is that he is walking free to do the same to someone else 

49 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I haven't really seen anyone blaming the victim here. I remember when Taylor told of being abused.  The "other site" was very anti-Taylor. I'm one of the very few who believed her.  The rest didn't just blame the victim.  They denied she was a victim.  It was a rather hostile environment for those who didn't think that way.  The mod not only encouraged this, she flat out posted that Taylor was a liar and a psycho.  Taylor drove her poor husband to suicide with her false accusations.  Nothing here comes anywhere near that level for Tinsley. Minus the mod, I think if anyone is getting the Taylor treatment it's Beth.  For all of the constant exclamations that no one must ever doubt a victim's claims, or in any way, shape, or form even slightly question an abuse claim, many of the very same people not only mock Beth's claims, they twist in knots to portray Jason as  the poor, bereaved, battered husband.  Just as Russell was turned into the poor victim.  

I am no Beth fan, but if someone posted Beth with a black eye and staples in her head, it wouldn't matter if there were twenty strangers who testified in court that they saw Jason do it.  The response would be - she did it to herself to steal Jason's child, and her money and power paid off all the witnesses, the cops, the judge, and the jury.  She probably also paid a makeup artist and photoshopped the pic.  It's a glaring double standard on these threads, where someone who is charged with multiple offenses is excused away with some of the most creative alternative truths  and fantastical possibilities I've ever seen.  Yet in this very thread, posters who do not buy 100% into Tinsley's story by pointing out the restraining order and the fact that Tins was screaming about her "boyfriend" being with another woman, have been flat out accused of misogyny and victim blaming.  

God this is brilliant. 

• Love 3
(edited)
17 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Again, I just don't think that if they understood exactly what she was saying that Lu would have so casually said "we've all been through the exact same thing". Do you think that Lu would have said that had she understood exactly what Tinsley was saying? Lu can come across as unsympathetic and completely into her own issues, but it is just hard for me to believe that she would so easily dismiss someone else's story with a basic "yea, we've all been there". 

Okay, I get it now -- yes, you're right, and no, I don't think LuAnn would have said what she did if Tinsley had given graphic details. 

But  (you knew there was a "but" coming, didn't you MCM? :) I also don't know why Tinsley saying "physical abuse" wasn't sufficient to make that cackle of dames shut up and pay attention.  They have no excuse for not hearing it (not just Lu or Bethenny, all of them) so I'm not sure why it's a point in their favor, versus making it worse -- ?  If you say "I have a deadly disease" do LuAnn or Bethenny or Sonja  need to know which one to keep them from saying, "Well, we've ALL had the flu!" 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

Well I think you can only speak for yourself as to what the response would be if Bethenny had a black eye and staples in her head.  They certainly would not be my comments or opinion.

• Love 7
(edited)

Beth would only be believed if there were pictures of her abuse (as there was with Tinsley) and a police report saying it was Jason. Even then some would say she drove him to it. If it were just reported with no pictures, many would not believe her. And if the reports came out the way they did with Tinsley, that there was violence on both sides at times, there would be many saying that it is horrible that Beth was hurt, but she was getting physical as well, so what did she expect? I mean, there are no pictures of the abuse she said she suffered at the hands of her Stepfather, and many claim she is making it up, or have little sympathy for a 19 year-old suffering through that. Some have even said her claim is dubious because she reconnected with him, and if it were all so horrible, why would she want anything to do with him. Some of the same people who understand why Tinsley kept going back into the lap of abuse. 

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 5
(edited)
14 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Beth would only be believed if there were pictures of her abuse (as there was with Tinsley) and a police report saying it was Jason. Even then some would say she drove him to it. If it were just reported with no pictures, many would not believe her. And if the reports came out the way they did with Tinsley, that there was violence on both sides at times, there would be many saying that it is horrible that Beth was hurt, but she was getting physical as well, so what did she expect? I mean, there are no pictures of the abuse she said she suffered at the hands of her Stepfather, and many claim she is making it up, or have little sympathy for a 19 year-old suffering through that. Some have even said her claim is dubious because she reconnected with him, and if it were all so horrible, why would she want anything to do with him. Some of the same people who understand why Tinsley kept going back into the lap of abuse. 

Since this hasn't happened how does anyone know how others would respond? 

As to Bethenny and the altercation with her step-father she said it and I believe her.  I just don't understand after saying he was a drug addict, gambler, physically abusive and had not been in contact with him for 20 years why she would want to reconnect and bring her daughter in this man's world.   

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

But she hasn't talked about it. I think I am making my point poorly. She has talked about being physically abused, but hasn't talked about what it was. That it was long-term, constant. That she was afraid of him. That she was bloodied and had staples put in her head. For all they know the physical abuse was of the sort some of the stories mentioned - that they both had a go at each other. Again, I just don't think that if they understood exactly what she was saying that Lu would have so casually said "we've all been through the exact same thing". Do you think that Lu would have said that had she understood exactly what Tinsley was saying? Lu can come across as unsympathetic and completely into her own issues, but it is just hard for me to believe that she would so easily dismiss someone else's story with a basic "yea, we've all been there". 

I took Luann's response to Tinsley to be a reference to how they have all had their private business plastered all over the tabloids, not that they've all been through the same kind of life experiences Tinsley has been through.  

That is not to say I believe that Luann couldn't possibly think that Tinsley's drama was no greater than anyone else's, though.  She's egotistical as hell.  But she is also is too savvy to actually say something so un-pc out loud.  So in this case, I do think she was just taking a very narrow reading of the specific words Tinsley used. 

4 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

I just don't understand after saying he was a drug addict, gambler, physically abusive and had not been in contact with him for 20 years why she would want to reconnect and bring her daughter in this man's world.   

I always suspected it was an attempt to counter the way Jason would throw it in her face that she didn't know what a family is.  She grasped at the only person she could, as sad and misguided as it was.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Since this hasn't happened how does anyone know how others would respond? 

As to Bethenny and the altercation with her step-father she said it and I believe her.  I just don't understand after saying he was a drug addict, gambler, physically abusive and had not been in contact with him for 20 years why she would want to reconnect and bring her daughter in this man's world.   

I remember, perhaps incorrectly, that it was a storyline she used many years ago before she made it big with Skinnygirl. Then I would imagine that she was coaxed by producers. Some people also always hold out hope that their parent is going to change for the better and make them feel loved. Since she doesn't have this I feel badly for her. Let's just hope that the abusive cycle ends with her and Bethenny's daughter grows up feeling safe and loved despite her parents differences. 

• Love 2