Type keyword(s) to search

Betty Cooper: Her Ponytail Is Iconic and Beyond Reproach

• Start Topic

She's my favourite so far. Not something I thought I'd be saying as a girl who always preferred Ronnie in the comics. The actress is also one of the stronger actors in the cast (especially amongst the teens). I just hope they avoid the inevitable Archie/Betty/Veronica triangle for as long as possible because that does the character no favours (actually it does none of them any favours). They've certainly got lots of other things to explore with her such as her nightmare parents and her investigations/romance with Jughead. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dippydee said:

She's my favourite so far. Not something I thought I'd be saying as a girl who always preferred Ronnie in the comics. The actress is also one of the stronger actors in the cast (especially amongst the teens). I just hope they avoid the inevitable Archie/Betty/Veronica triangle for as long as possible because that does the character no favours (actually it does none of them any favours). They've certainly got lots of other things to explore with her such as her nightmare parents and her investigations/romance with Jughead. 

Agreed! I'd much rather they explore what you listed. I so do not want the triangle and I'm digging her relationship with Jughead 

• Love 1

I just found out Earlier that Lili Reinhart is from Cleveland, Ohio the same city that Katie Holmes is from. Now I'm hoping that like in Dawson's creek the "endgame" couple of Barchie gets changed to Bughead/Betthead/Jetty

• Love 3

Definitely agreeing with the praise of Lili's performance and of Betty as a character. I don't know if she is the best acting wise of the younger cast but she definitely has the most expressive face. She conveys so much without saying words.

It did take a couple of episodes for me to really get behind the character though. I think the writers have done a good job of showing different sides to the character than just the standard girl next door. She has hidden layers. Some a bit dark and some adorably quirky. (Have to be honest quirky blondes on a CW show do usually become favorite characters of mine ie Chloe on Smallville and Felicity on Arrow)

Even after episode three, I still wasn't counting her as a favorite. Sure she looked hot and a little psycho but wasn't liking her as much as Veronica and even Cheryl. Episode 4 was the turning point. Her investigating Grundy and the scene where she breaks into her car really was the moment she became a favorite to me.

I also think her being around Jughead and Veronica mainly now helps. She works well with them both.

Also I can't help but laugh each time I see the moment where she adjusted her ponytail before going to visit Polly. Her expression was so serious and it was like she needed to adjust the ponytail in preparation for battle.

• Love 5

The way the plot has been set up has made Betty the de facto main character of the show (semi-fittingly, she's the first of the leads we meet in the pilot, too).  Of the four leads from the comics, Archie and Veronica have, as yet, no particular connection to the main plot of the series (Jason's murder), it's just stuff happening around them, for the most part; Jughead and Betty are the ones who are actively investigating it, but unlike Jughead, Betty has a more tangible emotional investment in it, because of Polly.

• Love 2

Being that Betty has largely been "Betty Cooper, Super Sleuth", i guess she's earned the right to be called "Agent Cooper"...

Gee, this show really IS more like Twin Peaks more than one would think!

• Love 6
14 hours ago, dwmckim said:

Being that Betty has largely been "Betty Cooper, Super Sleuth", i guess she's earned the right to be called "Agent Cooper"...

Gee, this show really IS more like Twin Peaks more than one would think!

I want to find out that the person at the print shop they send the paper to is named Diane.

• Love 2
On 3/11/2017 at 7:42 PM, ybrik said:

Definitely agreeing with the praise of Lili's performance and of Betty as a character. I don't know if she is the best acting wise of the younger cast but she definitely has the most expressive face. She conveys so much without saying words.

She's above average for the CW that's for sure. I think she's one of the better young actors on the show but more than that she has that watchable quality, she holds my attention a lot more than some of the others when I'm watching the show. Its not necessarily a talent thing sometimes it's just about a charisma that translates well on screen. 

On 3/11/2017 at 9:49 PM, SeanC said:

The way the plot has been set up has made Betty the de facto main character of the show (

I don't know if I really see this but I'd like it to be true. I'm all for more Betty Cooper especially if it means we get some cute Betty/Jughead scenes and more Alice Cooper as a byproduct. 

• Love 7

I like the actress playing Betty. She reminds me so much of the late Brittany Murphy (except Brittany had big brown eyes). Her face is very expressive, she has good chemistry with the other actors, and plays well off her bat-shit crazy parents.

• Love 4

One thing I've noticed recently in the scenes where Betty is telling her mom off: how much alike the two of them are.  Betty may not have the wanton bitchiness of Alice, but she's every bit as determined and stubborn when she wants to be.  Betty's mother's worst nightmare is, indeed, Alice Cooper's daughter.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 4/30/2017 at 10:14 PM, MarkHB said:

One thing I've noticed recently in the scenes where Betty is telling her mom off: how much alike the two of them are.  Betty may not have the wanton bitchiness of Alice, but she's every bit as determined and stubborn when she wants to be.  Betty's mother's worst nightmare is, indeed, Alice Cooper's daughter.

This. She really is her mother's daughter (only nicer). I love how Betty's shown to be sweet and kind but in no way a pushover. She's got Alice's steel but none of her bitterness (yet). I also really really love how their relationship has evolved not they're seemingly on the same side most of the time. They're my two favourite characters and my favourite relationship (though Jughead/FP comes close because I'm shallow but I also think Cole does his best work with Skeet). I hope the showrunners see it too and we get lots more of the Cooper women next season.

On a different note, I don't usually follow actors on twitter but Lili is pretty great on it especially when it comes to her show related gifs. She's a promotion machine for them.

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 2

Doing a round-up on the main characters at the end of Season 1, Betty is the biggest success story amongst the main four, I'd say.  She hit the ground running, and was central to the main plot all the way through (to the point where it's become trite to observe that she, more than anybody else, feels like the show's main character).  It helps that Lili Reinhart is just dynamite.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SeanC said:

Doing a round-up on the main characters at the end of Season 1, Betty is the biggest success story amongst the main four, I'd say.  She hit the ground running, and was central to the main plot all the way through (to the point where it's become trite to observe that she, more than anybody else, feels like the show's main character).  It helps that Lili Reinhart is just dynamite.

Lili is just a gem. Quite possibly the best actor of the core four IMHO.Her facial expressions like when finding out Shes a Blossom or when Archie suggested getting their parents involved in trying to clear FP are very good ans she's a pretty crier LOL. Her chemistry with Cole And Camilla has spawned possibly the top two ships in the series. And Betty is my favorite character 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Lili is just a gem. Quite possibly the best actor of the core four IMHO.Her facial expressions like when finding out Shes a Blossom or when Archie suggested getting their parents involved in trying to clear FP are very good ans she's a pretty crier LOL. Her chemistry with Cole And Camilla has spawned possibly the top two ships in the series. And Betty is my favorite character 

She is an incredible actress! gotta give her cred! Those eyes do one hell of a good job and her expressions, my god! She doesn't have to say anything, her face does it for her!! I am sooo rooting for Betty! She seems like one of the few ones that are trying to find out the truth about the whole damn town and just trying to stop the bullshit!

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, PeekaBoo said:

She is an incredible actress! gotta give her cred! Those eyes do one hell of a good job and her expressions, my god! She doesn't have to say anything, her face does it for her!! I am sooo rooting for Betty! She seems like one of the few ones that are trying to find out the truth about the whole damn town and just trying to stop the bullshit!

Agreed!! Another example of her expressions is in scenes with Jughead. She conveys very well she loves that boy lol. I go to the scene where Jughead finally says those three words. I noticed the way she says to him "Jughead Jones, I love you" Her voice cracks then her little chuckle right after. 

• Love 1

She's beautiful, just wow. Who wouldn't fall in love with her after staring into those big blue eyes? Talk about eyes you can drown in. Haha now she's got me spouting cliches. There are those of us who are nuts about Cole Sprouse, and then there are those of us who are a bit jealous of him because the guy seems to have landed the best new job of the year (and I'm guessing that since he was a Disney star he doesn't even need the money!).

I think Betty's my favorite character as well. I came into the show expecting that I was going to like Veronica more (and I do like Veronica), but I think I joined Team Betty from just about the first moment she appeared. There's just something about her that makes it totally understandable why Jughead adores her and why Archie can't seem to completely let her go (even though he claimed in the first episode that he didn't love her in that way).

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, pamplemousse said:

She's beautiful, just wow. Who wouldn't fall in love with her after staring into those big blue eyes? Talk about eyes you can drown in. Haha now she's got me spouting cliches. There are those of us who are nuts about Cole Sprouse, and then there are those of us who are a bit jealous of him because the guy seems to have landed the best new job of the year (and I'm guessing that since he was a Disney star he doesn't even need the money!).

I think Betty's my favorite character as well. I came into the show expecting that I was going to like Veronica more (and I do like Veronica), but I think I joined Team Betty from just about the first moment she appeared. There's just something about her that makes it totally understandable why Jughead adores her and why Archie can't seem to completely let her go (even though he claimed in the first episode that he didn't love her in that way).

Agreed that Lili is a babe. She has those eyes, a great smile, a great personality off screen as well as Betty having that personality that Jughead fell madly in love with. She doesn't give up on him and is his ride or die woman. And her and Cole are seriously the best of the core four acting wise. The scene where they confessed their love just GUH. On a shallow note Lili has a great set of legs as well. Check out her Cosmo shoot with Camilla 

Edited by jay741982

They definitely could have had Betty fall into a completely different category; she could have been the boring, perfect goody two shoes that shows most often do with one of their female leads. She could have had very little personality compared to Veronica and she could have been vastly underrated compared to Veronica or Jughead. But I do think they did right with Betty. Not only is Lili giving a spectacular performance, she's given solid material to work with. She was loved long before she was paired with Jughead. Giving her a darker personality definitely helped. It could have been cheesy and in that Chuck episode, it was a bit cheesy, but the idea behind it works very well and they didn't overdo it. It's great to see such an independent and intelligent teenage girl, one who is studious and hardworking, but isn't afraid to break the rules and has a lot more than Veronica, the supposed bad girl. 

She is, by far, my favourite character, definitely topping Archie, topping Veronica, and even topping Jughead. 

• Love 7

so true Lady Calypso. The "Good girl" is usually a Mary Sue, so perfect and boring and, well, like Archie, haha. But Betty has enough edge to her to make her interesting. She, her mom and Juggy are my three favorites. I could watch them have awkward dinners together every episode. lol

• Love 3

Sadly "Mary Sue" is largely what comics-Betty has been since 1980s onward.  She's my least favorite character in the books.  (But anything from 70s pr earlier, she's wonderful - she matches Veronica's snark and sassiness, has her own "Crazy Betty moments", etc.  She's one of my fave characters during that timespan.)  Thankfully those elements are present here plus both actress and writers have helped shape something a bit unique on its own.

• Love 2
On 3/7/2017 at 6:44 PM, dippydee said:

She's a Disney princess, isn't she with that blonde hair and those big green eyes.  I always hated that Archie was too stupid to look her way back in the 60's and 70's when I would sporadically read the comics.  I'm a sucker for boy-next-door love stories and theirs always seemed to be so perfect.  Plus, it seemed like Veronica would be too high maintenance for him.  I thought he would one day realize Betty was, not just his best friend, but his soul mate, and they would be together.  Of course I was a kid at the time and didn't realize Archie and gang would still be teenagers long after die.  

But, I'm happy that, for awhile at least, they let her have some happiness with Jughead, and I'm happy to see they've let him be a bit more fleshed out than a weird kid in an odd hat with a strange obsession for hamburgers.  

And I'm ridiculously happy that his sister is named Jellybean.

• Love 2

Bumping this up because I might be leaving the Riverdale tv show

soon. I loved Betty In the first season. This season not so much. I have no idea what they are trying to do, but the last scene of her in last nights episode makes me think I’m going to End up hating her. That’s all. 

3 minutes ago, Sonoma said:

I didn't see Betty "making eyes" at him? Didn't Jughead's narration say Archie was the one looking at the girl next door like he was seeing her for the first time? That's why I'm a little confused about the panic. They have not been writing Betty as someone who is just going to deuce Jughead.

It seemed like Betty was too. She walked away and then walked back over to the window.  We will see I guess. I just think it’s a little fast.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sonoma said:

I didn't see Betty "making eyes" at him? Didn't Jughead's narration say Archie was the one looking at the girl next door like he was seeing her for the first time? That's why I'm a little confused about the panic. They have not been writing Betty as someone who is just going to deuce Jughead.

Yeah exactly Bettys had eyes for only Jug for a while now. Heres Archie looking like a flip flopping douche eyeing Betty almost immediately after Veronica dumped him. 

I don't think Betty is going to flip to Archie in a hurry, if ever. I think they're going to show us Archie falling a bit for Betty and getting confused in his feelings between the two female leads. Where they take that in the long term may depend on fan reaction. 

Betty camming and having a dark alter ego is giving me major Seyton vibes from One Tree Hill. (Seriously, what the hell WAS that?)

I wonder if that was Betty's actual first time or just her first time with Jughead.

Edited by methodwriter85

I’m pretty sure it was her first time, she did that tv moment when all girl characters look in the mirror after their first time. Unsure if it was Jugheads though. We needed more of it though!

Also I can’t with the cam stuff and it’s kind of gross given where the climate is in the world today. Sorry can’t get behind it.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:40 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Betty camming and having a dark alter ego is giving me major Seyton vibes from One Tree Hill. (Seriously, what the hell WAS that?)

I wonder if that was Betty's actual first time or just her first time with Jughead.

We’ve been told she pined after Archie and it doesn’t seem like they were sexually involved. However dark Betty came from somewhere and rape (esp when young) would be the easiest place for the show to go to because it requires no explanation and provides angst in buckets.

Sex is a major industry in this town. Courtesan Blossom is the only adult but the teens all have after school work in the walk in the woods store, Chic’s boutique, the computer camera job. I guess ex cons like fp all have the soda jerk positions. 

2 hours ago, Affogato said:

We’ve been told she pined after Archie and it doesn’t seem like they were sexually involved. However dark Betty came from somewhere and rape (esp when young) would be the easiest place for the show to go to because it requires no explanation and provides angst in buckets.

I don't think the writers are going for that kind of backstory?

• Love 1
Just now, Ruby Red said:

I don't think the writers are going for that kind of backstory?

I don’t either. I know the show wants to be dark but I feel like that’s a little too dark. I know we had Cheryl’s assault from Nick and Veronica’s almost  but I feel like that’s as far as they will go with that type of story. 

1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t either. I know the show wants to be dark but I feel like that’s a little too dark. I know we had Cheryl’s assault from Nick and Veronica’s almost  but I feel like that’s as far as they will go with that type of story. 

Yeah, we already had that almost assualt with Cheryl and Veronica, that is probably the limit. To have a backstory of Betty being actually raped at a younger age and that being the reason where the Dark Betty thing comes from would be a little too dark.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Ruby Red said:

Yeah, we already had that almost assualt with Cheryl and Veronica, that is probably the limit. To have a backstory of Betty being actually raped at a younger age and that being the reason where the Dark Betty thing comes from would be a little too dark.

Oh god no... I hope they wouldn't go with something like that. The shown isn't that serious to tackle such a serious issue...

The Cooper girls seem to have a strain of crazy in them,  they could choose that route instead and how they tackle their mental issues...

• Love 1
Just now, PeekaBoo said:

The Cooper girls seem to have a strain of crazy in them,

That's my theory. Crazy runs in that family for sure, I'm thinking on Alice's side. I think that is part of why she is so overprotective, because she knows how easy it is for them to go dark. They didn't really reveal what she was arrested for did they?

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

That's my theory. Crazy runs in that family for sure, I'm thinking on Alice's side. I think that is part of why she is so overprotective, because she knows how easy it is for them to go dark. They didn't really reveal what she was arrested for did they?

Mmhmmm... 

But its weird the way she is overprotecting and being so perfect ish... 

If you have mental issues the last thing you would want is to hush it up... right? Why ignore your daughter talking about pressing her nails in her palms? 

I'm ondering if alice becoming a serpent in her time was that thing she did when she went dark, hence getting arrested and all... 

10 minutes ago, PeekaBoo said:

If you have mental issues the last thing you would want is to hush it up... right?

It's so obvious appearances mean everything to Alice that there is no way she'd want anyone in town talking about her family having mental problems. She probably wants to pretend it's not real and everything is just fine. I'm telling you, that woman is gonna snap someday soon, and lookout Riverdale when that happens. She's so tightly wound who knows who will get hurt. I'm honestly not 100% certain Chic killed that guy. If the show went and said Alice did it, I wouldn't be at all surprised. 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, PeekaBoo said:

Oh god no... I hope they wouldn't go with something like that. The shown isn't that serious to tackle such a serious issue...

The Cooper girls seem to have a strain of crazy in them,  they could choose that route instead and how they tackle their mental issues...

I'm not thrilled about rape storylines in general, particularly ones that are used as an excuse for people to become dark and edgy. 

Still..., a little bit of craziness, like having six toes on your left foot, but otherwise you're completely normal?

'Crazy' is a pretty serious issue. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1

Yeah.. I’m not into Betty’s mental illness as a story because the show has no idea what to do with it. It’s why I really, really hate Dark betty and I hate the wig. I have no idea what the show wants me to think with it. In the previews for the upcoming episode, they now seem to be trying to act as if the wig is a fun healthy  sexual thing when.. the past instances we’ve seen it being used were not that. So.. the writers need to figure out what that is. And that’s why I hate it.

Either they’re making her mental illness a sexual thing too or.. they aren’t. But it bothers me.

33 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah.. I’m not into Betty’s mental illness as a story because the show has no idea what to do with it. It’s why I really, really hate Dark betty and I hate the wig. I have no idea what the show wants me to think with it. In the previews for the upcoming episode, they now seem to be trying to act as if the wig is a fun healthy  sexual thing when.. the past instances we’ve seen it being used were not that. So.. the writers need to figure out what that is. And that’s why I hate it.

Either they’re making her mental illness a sexual thing too or.. they aren’t. But it bothers .e

I think a lot of this show is really playing with the genre and paying tribute to old movies, old stories and old comics. So sometimes she boils some guy alive and sometimes Archie starts a vigilante group. It's like an acting troupe playing a different story each week. 

9 minutes ago, Affogato said:

I think a lot of this show is really playing with the genre and paying tribute to old movies, old stories and old comics. So sometimes she boils some guy alive and sometimes Archie starts a vigilante group. It's like an acting troupe playing a different story each week. 

Maybe. I’m not so sure about that. I could be wrong but I’m not so sure.

Season 1 didn’t feel this off kilter, so that’s why I’m unsure about that theory.

17 hours ago, Affogato said:

I'm not thrilled about rape storylines in general, particularly ones that are used as an excuse for people to become dark and edgy. 

Still..., a little bit of craziness, like having six toes on your left foot, but otherwise you're completely normal?

'Crazy' is a pretty serious issue. 

Oh god I hope I didn't offend anyone with the "crazy" mentions, it really wasn't my intention! I'm a huge advocate for mental health.... I just think the show has written the Cooper's obvious mental issues in such a ridiculous way that it's hard to take it seriously and in this day and age, it shouldn't been "taken lightly"...

Now they're maybe/maybe not pushing Betty's "issue" into a more sexual way (early to tell and we'll have several weeks to think about it)... which, yeah... i'm still conflicted... Its might create good bughead moments but she might just fall down pretty hard once that high is over and done with...

They really screwed up...

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, PeekaBoo said:

Oh god I hope I didn't offend anyone with the "crazy" mentions, it really wasn't my intention! I'm a huge advocate for mental health.... I just think the show has written the Cooper's obvious mental issues in such a ridiculous way that it's hard to take it seriously and in this day and age, it shouldn't been "taken lightly"...

Now they're maybe/maybe not pushing Betty's "issue" into a more sexual way (early to tell and we'll have several weeks to think about it)... which, yeah... i'm still conflicted... Its might create good bughead moments but she might just fall down pretty hard once that high is over and done with...

This. Plus as I said.. the last times they brought up Dark Betty and her use of the wig they weren’t good moments for her. If the wig was being used as a fun sexual encounter that was healthy, fine. But considering all the other times we’ve seen it, it’s been used when Betty is sad.. I don’t know what the show is doing. It’s why I’m not lall that excited for the cabin episode. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, PeekaBoo said:

I'm not offended. 

We'll have to see what happens. I think Chic is supposed to be a catalyst for a lot of darkness, but where did that boiling Chuck thing come from earlier? A lot of it is jarring. By contrast Jughead's behavior seems more natural, even the tattoo removal. He presumably has seen a lot of gang activity in his life. Where is Betty getting this stuff?

7 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

the last times they brought up Dark Betty and her use of the wig they weren’t good moments for her. If the wig was being used as a fun sexual encounter that was healthy, fine.

For Juggy's sake I hope there is not a hot tub at the cabin. 

It is in extreme poor taste for the show to use the wig for sexy times between a loving partners when, until now we've seen it used in revenge and for online sex. They go out of their way to make us associate the wig/Dark Betty with bad things, with her going down into her dark, bad side, and now we're supposed to find it hot? 

Not really a spoiler, but pertaining to previews which I know some people don't like to know about:

Spoiler

Unless, she is in the bad place, maybe she and Jug fight because she finds out about the kiss or something, or she's been falling deeper and deeper because of their helping cover up a murder, and she is Dark Betty while trying to seduce him. If it plays out that way, I really, REALLY hope that Jughead figures out this isn't Betty and stops it. I can't stomach Jug getting into having sex with his girlfriends alter ego who is her coping mechanism for shitty things happening in her life.  So what I really hope happens is, she tries to seduce him, Jug realizes she's not acting like herself and stops it, and after some freaking out on her part, because of course it's realistic she would, they talk and he helps her find a better outlet for her dark side. A non-sexual one please, show! It's not sexy to tart up a teenage girl because she's got mental problems. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

It is in extreme poor taste for the show to use the wig for sexy times between a loving partners when, until now we've seen it used in revenge and for online sex. They go out of their way to make us associate the wig/Dark Betty with bad things, with her going down into her dark, bad side, and now we're supposed to find it hot? 

Not really a spoiler, but pertaining to previews which I know some people don't like to know about:

Hide contents

Unless, she is in the bad place, maybe she and Jug fight because she finds out about the kiss or something, or she's been falling deeper and deeper because of their helping cover up a murder, and she is Dark Betty while trying to seduce him. If it plays out that way, I really, REALLY hope that Jughead figures out this isn't Betty and stops it. I can't stomach Jug getting into having sex with his girlfriends alter ego who is her coping mechanism for shitty things happening in her life.  So what I really hope happens is, she tries to seduce him, Jug realizes she's not acting like herself and stops it, and after some freaking out on her part, because of course it's realistic she would, they talk and he helps her find a better outlet for her dark side. A non-sexual one please, show! It's not sexy to tart up a teenage girl because she's got mental problems. 

Oh god! I'm pretty sure Veronica would be worried once the core four are in the hot tub! lol!

I agree with your hidden content! He's smart, he can see through it...He can help her.

We still don't know which way she'll use her wig... that's what makes it interesting...

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Reveal hidden contents

Haha, well, Betty would never hurt Jughead so I'm not worried even if there was a hot tub.

Spoiler

Yeah, I hope it is not as bad as it looks. I can understand it from different point of view's - maybe Betty has found a healthy way to release her unhealthy emotions, anything she feels stressed about, by consensual sex with someone she loves. and who loves her It is better than her being a cam girl and talking to strangers. But at the same time, I also get the point of view of not wanting her to sleep with anyone when she is wearing that wig because whenever she did it was when she was not doing good. So how can we expect her to be okay if she does anything with Jughead while wearing that wig? So, I would rather for them not to go there. Hope it ends in a more Jughead being concerned scene and stopping Betty from whatever they are doing and them talking.

Edited by Ruby Red
  • Love 2