Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E07: Week 7: Latin Night

• Start Topic

My speculation on Danica  has always been that people like her.  There isn't a whole lot not to like.  She's nice, seems sweet, dances pretty well and etc.  So it's not like people are rooting against her in any capacity.  But I'd argue in online fandom at least, which includes the various social media sites, she just doesn't seem to have a rabid fanbase backing her up the way Meryl does for instance.   It's not just the bing search, it's Facebook and instagram and youtube views and everything all put together.  Social media isn't the be all and end all of DWTS so it's entirely possible she has a stronger fanbase than I think, but my guess is that a lot of the people that may like Danica/Val just like another couple more.  They might be a lot of people's number two couple, but that doesn't do them much good if those same fans are only putting votes towards their number one couple.  Also the return of Maks hasn't helped Val this season because even a lot of Val's own fans seem more into Meryl/Maks than Danica/Val. 

Also the show itself hasn't been pushing Danica all that hard.  She dances early in the show almost every week, including this week where they could have milked her injury more.  They almost always make her dance before Meryl.  Storyline, pre-injury, she hasn't really had a solid story arc.  A part of me almost wonders if TPTB want Danica to go either this week or next figuring that some of Val's votes will transfer to Meryl/Maks once they are ousted.  Let's put it this way.  Both a Charlie elimination and a Danica elimination would likely benefit Meryl the most.

(edited)

I rather Danica leave than Charlie but I really like them both. Charlie has a lot more to give if Sharna & him can find that balance of difficulty and being able to perform perfect without worrying about performing perfect. Danica's injured and I think she'll be limited for the rest of the season. 

I do like Candace. She's a cutie. But limited. Once there is for real two dances she's going to be even more limited.

As much as I love Derek's Choreography he has a limited partner and his fans are soooooooooooooo , so yeah I just don't enjoy as much as I might.

And I can't stand Showmances rather they are real or not. Nor Partners that hate each other) I can't stand when that is the focus of their packages.

Peta and James are just not my cup of tea. I do think he's a bit funny and liked him well enough on his show (as much as I could handle that slap stick humor). She's always as naked that it makes the focus her nakeness. Even when she's covered. I can't explain it but I think it may be the the way they fit her. I just don't enjoy them. Off dance or most of their dances.

I love Meryl but I've never really been a fan of Maks and his always changing but never really changing but his partner this year is really changes him for him. Almost every season I've watched >.<  I don't enjoy anything but the dancing. I do think they deserve to win so far. Since dancing is the most important.

Arrg I keep writing Maks Max for no good reason since I know that isn't how it's spelled >.<

Edited by tarotx
(edited)

I'm going to step outside lurking mode and just say what I have felt almost this entire season.  The judges attitude toward Amy has completely soured her for me.  It is utterly ridiculous  how they baby her along and make every possible allowance.  Len said week one that they could not judge her OTHER than for her dancing, just like everyone else...and then they promptly have not done so week in and week out.  When CA pointed out that they had a lift, she saw it, but she just couldn't take a point away from her....well, that was the end!  If Amy, who does deserve and have my respect and admiration (do not get me wrong about her the person) made the choice to participate on the show then it should have been with the understanding that there would not be special favors or scoring.  SHE signed up for this.  The judges have become so darn blatant in signalling their 'favorites' no matter how any of them danced on any night.  Amy has put out some mediocre performances on several shows yet she has not been scored as mediocre at all.  I get it....they all adore Derek and whoever he happens to be dancing with in any season.  But try to be fair about it.  When oh when will SYTYCD be back on this summer??  Now there is a terrific dance show!  I swear if Amy wins this it will be over for me, and I have never missed a show and have been a die hard fan since the beginning.  Get back to the original, basic premise and rules!    And while I am in the mood to blow off steam, let me add that this is a ballroom dancing  competition.  Contemporary is NOT ballroom!  And the judges have honestly stated that they do not really know HOW to score it.......stop it!!

Edited by dustoffmom
  • Love 4

Sytycd comes back on May 28. And while I wish contemporary and Jazz wasn't a part of DWTS, the show has never been a Ballroom competition but a competition reality show with Ballroom dancing a focus. Now it's Ballroom with a twist as the focus. Since not only is C&J dances but Gimmicks and themed episodes that make having bad music a necessity are just as much a focus. 

I like the contemporary routines, but they do tend to get overscored on this show.  Some people think contemporary shouldn't be allowed in the first few weeks because it tends to throw things off - Candace Cameron's 8-8-9 contemporary from Week 1 is a good example of a routine that was overly impressive due to some good choreography and one lift.  It set the expectations for her too high, and subsequent weeks revealed that her dance skills were very primitive.

Yep plus it means the dancers who have those dances early lose a week+ to start learning Ballroom and Latin Technique.

I like the contemporary routines, but they do tend to get overscored on this show.  Some people think contemporary shouldn't be allowed in the first few weeks because it tends to throw things off - Candace Cameron's 8-8-9 contemporary from Week 1 is a good example of a routine that was overly impressive due to some good choreography and one lift.  It set the expectations for her too high, and subsequent weeks revealed that her dance skills were very primitive.