Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E07: Week 7: Latin Night

• Start Topic

I wish they would do away with the guest judges. I'd rather have that extra 10 minutes or so contain some content, or heaven forbid, actual constructive dance critique.  I feel as if having the extra judge has reduced the usefulness of the commentaries (to the extent that they were ever useful).  I also find the extra dancers very distracting.

I think Meryl's team dance looked tighter partly because it was within a contained area.  I got the feeling the camera operators weren't too sure where to go next with Charlie's team, which was understandable as it was somewhat of a hot mess.  I thought the women's outfits on Charlie's team were hideous.

I generally like Val's choreography, but this one seemed distracted, perhaps he had to make some late adjustments for Danica's injury.  I am enjoying Maks and Meryl, but I wish he'd stop hanging on her.  Half the time it looks like she has two heads.

I would like to have heard what Meryl really said to Charlie about getting a 10. 

• Love 1
So because she wears skimpy dance costumes we should assume that she's like that in her daily life? Then should one assume because Candace is more modest that she doesn't wear skimpy lingerie for her husband, while the pros/contestants are being judged on what they do/don't wear.

Wow, it was just a joke.

• Love 1
Count me in with those who wish this showmance would die. Maks has been doing this with his partners since his season with Willa. They were seen all over the place together, too. He refused to confirm or deny any romantic relationship, etc., etc., rinse, lather, repeat.

I was browsing the DWTS tag on tumblr and first thing that pops up is gifs of one of their post-show interviews this week, with the quote of Maks saying something about he's having more fun or happier than he's ever been on the show or something like that and how he doesn't discuss the personal. This was in response to a question flat out asking the nature of his and Meryl's relationship. The person who made the post had a comment below basically swooning of course and using it as evidence against the haters who call it a showmance. All I can do was laugh.

I'd like to have heard what Charlie said when they informed him that he was going to have a meeting with Meryl about wanting to get 10s. I'm sure he wants to score well because you don't get where Charlie is without having a major competitive streak, but I don't really see him sitting down with Meryl for advice on how to get 10s when the scoring is clearly insane.

My favorite was him having to go meet up with her to have this super important discussion, even though Charlie and Meryl probably see each other almost every day with SOI going on and their having to get in their rehearsals for it. But apparently Charlie had to go track down Meryl at some outdoor cafe/restaurant. DWTS never fails to entertain, even if it's not for the reason they intend.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I would like to have heard what Meryl really said to Charlie about getting a 10. 

I'd like to have heard what Charlie said when they informed him that he was going to have a meeting with Meryl about wanting to get 10s. I'm sure he wants to score well because you don't get where Charlie is without having a major competitive streak, but I don't really see him sitting down with Meryl for advice on how to get 10s when the scoring is clearly insane.

From what I've seen on some of the figure skating forums, there's a large segment of long- frustrated Meryl/Charlie shippers who are eating up the Meryl/Maks drama.

See, I've seen the opposite. I'm not so much for the forums anymore (though I stalk a few topics on GS because the Russian Ice Dance situation is so dramatic right now), but what I'm seeing on tumblr is definitely firmly rejecting the Meryl/Maks thing because Charlie is her true love. I stay clear of the people who have any sort of conspiracy theory on that, so maybe I'm just looking at a more moderate portion of the fandom but most of them refuse to give up on their OTP. They live for the cutaway shots during each of their judging. That said, the people I follow probably don't represent the typical fanbase because they toss all their votes to whichever one of the pair had lower scores that week.

Huzzah!  NeNe is Bye Bye.

We had true history on both sides made in the group dance.  Derek's team destroyed La Vida Loca and a single dancer was exposed as never before (NeNe).  Now, I think it was a totally unfair advantage for any dancer or team to have been given Loca.  Fie on Conrad for that.  But, watching the last third of the gallows team where two couple were going all out with a darn good and difficult synchronized salsa, NeNe just stood on stage, intentionally out of camera view, waving her arms to and fro.  I've never seen such a thing for such a long period of a group dance.  Wow.  She must have been horrendous in practice for that kind of relegation by the others.  They still deserved 9s.

I haaaaate that I think this, but I do:  The problem with Charlie is not Charlie.  It is Sharna.  Ugh.  I love her.  She's just overmatched going for a trophy.  She only knows one speed:  All out.  

Erin had the best night any female host ever had on DWTS.  Her post-dance interview with Meryl and Maks is the single best I've seen.  She went right at Meryl's emotions having come off a super sexy performance, well out of her element.  It was real.  Then, messing with Maks and getting a hilarious and clean response was the cherry on that sundae.  No other previous host could have done that.

I bet that was the actual bottom two and that Charlie was not 3rd lowest.  James and Danica will be B2 and each will be gone within two shows.  YMMV.

ETA:  I laughed when I saw they put Len between Bruno and Ricky.  Poor Bruno.  Hahahahaha.

I agree 100% about Erin. She still sometimes slips into shouting sideline reporter mode but she has enough quick, off the cuff moments like the one with Meryl and Maks last night to make up for it. I really like her as a co-host. I think Tom must also be happy to finally have someone who can respond to his quips, even if they aren't on her notecards.

• Love 1

I liked Ricky Martin as a guest judge - he was enthusiastic and positive and well-spoken. And gorgeous.  My favorite guest judge of this season by far. I was not wild about most of the music (really, all but the Ricky Martin songs), which surprised me - usually I like the music on Latin night.

Since Peta's costume has been discussed to death already, I'll just skip that and go with my second comment on their segment: "We're trying to keep things as platonic as possible."  Really, James?  As platonic as possible?  I mean, I hate it when I go to work and I'm trying to keep things as platonic as possible with my colleagues and we end up macking in the supply closet, so I guess I can understand where he's coming from...

I am kind of retroactively glad that Nene is gone.  I wanted her to leave because she was the weakest dancer remaining, but wouldn't have been that upset if she stayed - until she completely ignored Tony in her thank you speech.  Bitch.  And he's so remarkably diplomatic that he waxed eloquent about how wonderful she was right after she dissed him to his face.  If I never see her in anything again, I'll be happy.  I don't watch the housewives shows, and I can't imagine she'll be invited back for an all-stars season here, so unless she shows up on Survivor I should be OK and Nene-free.

Loved Meryl and Maks, even with the backup dancers.  I wanted so badly for Charlie to knock that paso out of the park, but it wasn't quite there.  I like Mark so much this season that the spats didn't even bother me!  Like many, I found Amy's rehearsal package uncomfortable.  I hope she and Danica are both OK and heal quickly.  I wish so much they wouldn't force them to do so many dances and push them so hard - I really would be just fine with watching them learn and perform the regular old dances, one per show.  Watching people getting injured and having exhaustion-induced emotional breakdowns is not fun for me.

Edited by RescueMom
  • Love 5

I generally like Val's choreography, but this one seemed distracted, perhaps he had to make some late adjustments for Danica's injury.  I am enjoying Maks and Meryl, but I wish he'd stop hanging on her.  Half the time it looks like she has two heads.

Val took out the lifts and all that, but I'm not sure what else he simplified for Danica.   I could get behind the idea that Val was going for in this routine if he had choreographed a routine in this vein for a different partner.  Val said in interviews during the week pre-injury that he was going for a dancehall vibe and IMO that was never going to be Danica's strength, even if she had been healthy.   Danica is not an earthy, down and dirty dancer, which is what that number really needed.   So while I think Danica was off because of the injury to some extent, it was likely never going to be one of her better dances.  I don't quite understand why Val's song choice/choreography in the first place went in a direction that wasn't really right for Danica.  Also I'm sick of the troupe being on the floor throughout the dances, but maybe he added the troupe to distract from Danica?   Though they seemed to already be in rehearsals with them before Danica got injured.

Ricky Martin can judge whatever he wants, as long as it's on my TV! Muy caliente! (He should have danced, too!)

Maks and Meryl are the bees' knees! I really hope they win.

Even though I love Charlie, I had a tough time "believing" a blond man doing a Paso Doble!

Ne-ne-ne-ne, Ne-ne-ne-ne, Hey, hey, hey, good-bye! (Somebody had to do it!)

• Love 5

I also think it is funny for people to complain about family friendly when this is the same network that airs the Bachelor/Bachelorette at 8:30 (central)

Difference being, I know to send my 9 year old out of the room before the Bachelor starts....

I honestly don't think there is some grand conspiracy against Charlie this season.  He just isn't performing as well as they expected, and his scores and position reflect that.  He is obviously a great ice dancer with strong partnering skills, but it's not translating easily.  As one who does not think he is the most adorable thing ever (boyish charm never does it for me), he looks tired and just a tad uncertain out there.  I agree with previous posters who've said that it appears Meryl is handling the stress of bi-coastal dual roles much better.  Then again, I think what others see as "cold" in Meryl, I see as the focus that allows her to play both roles with some success.

All that said, there is no way in hell James should be outscoring Charlie -- that is where the travesty lies.

• Love 2

My conspiracy theory is that as Maks hasn't used anyone from the Troupe in any of Meryl's dances this season, he was told he had to use them somewhere and this was the dance he picked.  It's a fun, freestyle-esque (there is some technique that has to be used) dance that works with a lot of people.  I think the dances they have left aren't really conducive to a load of people on the dance floor, so get it out of the way now.  Just my two cents.

I was browsing the DWTS tag on tumblr and first thing that pops up is gifs of one of their post-show interviews this week, with the quote of Maks saying something about he's having more fun or happier than he's ever been on the show or something like that and how he doesn't discuss the personal. This was in response to a question flat out asking the nature of his and Meryl's relationship. The person who made the post had a comment below basically swooning of course and using it as evidence against the haters who call it a showmance. All I can do was laugh.

Finally made it over here. Hi everyone!

I think Maks has done the showmance thing so many times that he's starting to run out of material. In the interviews last night, I heard him recycle a few lines he used with both Erin and Kirstie.

Someone above mentioned the awkwardness of Erin's "I'm engaged" outburst. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it because as much as she now seems to be trying to act like she and Maks were just partners, there are too many pros still around who were around back then and know exactly what went on between them and the ugly way it ended. And I think that contributes to some of the awkwardness in her interviews.That and I think she still has a bit of a thing for Maks herself, boyfriend or not. But regardless of that I think she's still a huge improvement over Brooke.

I think Meryl's team dance looked tighter partly because it was within a contained area.  I got the feeling the camera operators weren't too sure where to go next with Charlie's team, which was understandable as it was somewhat of a hot mess.  I thought the women's outfits on Charlie's team were hideous.

Granted, I'm partial to Charlie and the samba, but I actually liked Team Vida's dance better, but I'm in .1% of the population.  I agree about the contained area, but also, Team Loca was mostly solo dances, so any chance of poor synchronization was minimized.  (I did see some toward the beginning.)

I thought the producers’ agenda was on full display last night with “Charlie wants a ten” and “isn’t Meryl wonderful” pre-packages.  The editors have gone from showing Charlie as a hard-working, fun guy to one who is desperate for a ten

I saw a video interview (from On the Red Carpet, I think, but I can't find the video now) that commented on the shortness of Charlie's pre-package, when others were more than twice as long.  Charlie and Sharna acknowledged that they simply don't have much drama to bring to the camera.  Hee!

Tony just recently said that Meryl broke her toe the AT week with Val, but refused to say anything about it publicly because she didn't want sympathy. 

But it's okay for Tony to open his mouth about it?  If you don't want anyone to know about it and don't want it to be used for sympathy, you don't say anything about it until the season is over.

Edited by superdeluxe

But it's okay for Tony to open his mouth about it?  If you don't want anyone to know about it and don't want it to be used for sympathy, you don't say anything about it until the season is over.

I watched the interview on GMA. Tony was responding to the co-host's comment about all the injuries this season. The co-host mentioned Danica's, Amy's and Charlie's injuries, and Tony mentioned Meryl also broke her toe. He said nothing about her refusing to mention it because she didn't want to "use it for sympathy". I'm not sure where that assumption came from.

I think it's just a matter of Meryl being a Olympic-class athlete who is used to working through injuries for her sport and not making a big deal about something that didn't hamper her performance.

People who know Maks in real life, have said that he's got a different atitude about the show this season, that he's less intense about the end result and more relaxed. Maks has said it as well. I don't see any reason to doubt him and them.

I think Maks and Meryl have compelling chemistry together. I love to watch them, on and off the dance floor.  They clearly adore each other and have a high level of trust and mutual respect which I think is necessary to sell that kind of chemistry, but that can mean they are just good friends. They also both seem to be physically affectionate people which lends to the shipping.  So what?  Romance, showmance or just good friends - I don't care. I'm buying whatever they're selling and I'm voting for them to win.

Edited by MarySNJ
  • Love 4
My conspiracy theory is that as Maks hasn't used anyone from the Troupe in any of Meryl's dances this season, he was told he had to use them somewhere and this was the dance he picked.

You might be onto something here.  I think unless the troupe gets into the numbers with the pros and their stars they have very little to do and have limited screen time.  There might be something in their contracts that guarantees a certain amount of screen/dance time?

As much as I adored seeing Ricky Martin on my screen, I think the time spent on the guest judges would be better served highlighting the troupe and showing off their dancing instead.  I think the show has had an issue with handling the troupe since going to a one night vs a two night show. 

• Love 1

I thought it was interesting that on Afterbuzz they also thought that last week's show, particularly James & Peta, was too risque for children.  Anna Trebunskaya was saying she wouldn't want her kid watching it.  I thought pro dancers wouldn't be as bothered by skimpy costumes.

I think Maks has done the showmance thing so many times that he's starting to run out of material. In the interviews last night, I heard him recycle a few lines he used with both Erin and Kirstie.

What did he say?  I know I heard him say how he just wanted to make sure the whole thing was a great experience for Meryl, but I think that was true and he has that attitude towards all of his partners.

there are too many pros still around who were around back then and know exactly what went on between them and the ugly way it ended.

Oooh, how did it end?

Edited by Bella
fixed your wonky quotes because I had nothing better to do
  • Love 1

Based on what?  There's no rule that all people of the female gender automatically must cry during DWTS.    Also Meryl just doesn't strike me as a big crier. 

Based on the fact that everyone breaks down at some point and sheds a few tears of frustration - has nothing to do with being female.  I don't care if she is a former Olympian an used to pressure situations, nothing prepares you for the rigors of reality television competition where every waking moment is captured on film (which adds to the frustration level).

I thought it was interesting that on Afterbuzz they also thought that last week's show, particularly James & Peta, was too risque for children. Anna Trebunskaya was saying she wouldn't want her kid watching it. I thought pro dancers wouldn't be as bothered by skimpy costumes.

I don't think it's necessarily the skimpy costumes that are the problem. Or at least, I don't think it's just the skimpy costumes. It's the combination of the skimpy costume, conversations about rubbing crotches, and the sexual nature of the dance. There's also the added aspect where production is clearly pushing the idea that there's something going on with the two (which is I think where the weirdly uncomfortable conversation of them having to rub their bits together came from). Take that conversation away and put Peta in a more traditional costume and I don't see there being as much discomfort about it. I'm not even talking cover her up completely or anything like that. Get rid of the stockings and garter belt, add a skirt made of fringe or something and I would've declared it perfectly okay. What she wore didn't emphasize her movements or feel like a fully thought out costume and I feel like at a minimum it needs to be one or the other. Part of that may've been because I completely missed the story until another poster pointed it out, but I still think it was inappropriate for 8:00 pm.

This is just me, but I personally find Peta and James gross, and I'm definitely not a prude, they just come off as desperate. I don't feel this supposed intense chemistry between them. To me, it's like watching two people try to stretch a one night stand into a relationship.

Meryl and Maks on the other hand? I find their chemistry palpable. I found it kind of funny that James and Peta were using all these innuendos and talking about rubbing on each other and I felt nothing, yet when Meryl called Maks a jerk and he agreed with her, I strangely found that hot, but I can be odd like that.

• Love 10

I'm sorry OakGoblinFly, but I disagree.  Meryl is not taking DWTS remotely as seriously as her Olympic career.  (Maks might be, though.)  And there is no more high pressure situation than preparing to take the ice at the Olympics for a four minute performance that could change your life forever.  Meryl is just not a crier.  She's got other coping mechanisms that have gotten her through far more stressful experiences.  Maybe before the final, we'll see her do what she does before taking the ice at a skating competition, which is hitting herself really hard on the thighs or hands, but I doubt she's going to get that worked up about this show.

• Love 1

Based on the fact that everyone breaks down at some point and sheds a few tears of frustration - has nothing to do with being female.  I don't care if she is a former Olympian an used to pressure situations, nothing prepares you for the rigors of reality television competition where every waking moment is captured on film (which adds to the frustration level).

There was an interview with Meryl and Maks, Charlie and Sharna from the local ABC affiliate in Detroit last Saturday in which Maks said that they are all exhausted from the grueling schedules and all the travel and its taking a toll on all of them. He also mentioned that Meryl had had a rough day in rehearsal the day before, implying that she had a bit a break down and Meryl didn't refute it. I guess the Powers-that-be either chose not to air it or they weren't present to witness it.

People who knew Maks in real life said he was different with Mel B. and Erin as well. I remember I think it was Tony, may have been Louis, waxing on about how they'd never seen that side of Maks ever when he was paired with Erin. And again, I direct you to their People Magazine spread. Everyone is fine to think what they want and buy whatever any couple is selling but I'm just speaking from my personal experience watching this show for many seasons and watching Maks for many seasons with multiple celebrity partners. And for me it's all very much "been there, done that..."

Fair enough. Editing manipulation cuts both ways and real people are more complex than we get to see on competitive "reality" shows.

Edited by MarySNJ

This sounds bitchy, but why stop now heh. NeNe reminds me of one of those balloon people thingys that businesses use to get your attention when they have a sale etc.  They're filled with air and they stand! UP! and wave their balloon arms all around frantically, then they kind of deflate and bend over. Then they do the same thing again with the arms.

And points to Ricki for calling NeNay, "Ninny." It was a mouth slip, but I LOVED IT.

I'll be hell if you need me. :)

• Love 3
Fair enough. Editing manipulation cuts both ways and real people are more complex than we get to see on competitive "reality" shows.

Yes but none of these things I mentioned happened during the rehearsal and was edited by the show. Maks' comment was during a post-show interview and I think Louis' comment (I'm pretty certain it was Louis) was also in an interview done while the season was airing. Also while editing can certainly manipulate things to the story it wants to tell, it doesn't put words in people's mouths. Editing doesn't make Maks repeat those same lines about so many of his female celebrities or be all kissy, gushy, handsy with so many of them. 

• Love 1

It's hard to blame Maks for playing up his chemistry with his partner.  Charlie's rehearsal package was 40 seconds long last week.  George from On the Red Carpet pointed out to Charlie and Sharna that their rehearsal packages are always that short, while the other couples are getting 3 minutes.  That's because Charlie & Sharna aren't doing anything interesting.

I would much rather see a long rehearsal package of Maks & Meryl flirting with each other and having fun than I would Charlie & Sharna being professional, platonic, drama free and dull.  People complain about TPTB making things interesting for television like it's a bad thing.  The truth is, just learning dance steps for hours and hours a day is not exciting to watch.

• Love 1

Yes but none of these things I mentioned happened during the rehearsal and was edited by the show. Maks' comment was during a post-show interview and I think Louis' comment (I'm pretty certain it was Louis) was also in an interview done while the season was airing. Also while editing can certainly manipulate things to the story it wants to tell, it doesn't put words in people's mouths. Editing doesn't make Maks repeat those same lines about so many of his female celebrities or be all kissy, gushy, handsy with so many of them.

Here's the thing though... If fans want to buy into the flirtation or showmance or what have you, why not let them? Does it really matter if people allow themselves to get sucked in or not? It's a reality show and we all know those are light on the reality. So what if people like the two of them together or think they're sweet? Who cares if people think Meryl has changed him? That's the nature of the show and different people do bring out different things in people. If it (and Maks) bothers you that much, why not just ignore it? It's DWtS not real life.
  • Love 1

Based on the fact that everyone breaks down at some point and sheds a few tears of frustration - has nothing to do with being female.  I don't care if she is a former Olympian an used to pressure situations, nothing prepares you for the rigors of reality television competition where every waking moment is captured on film (which adds to the frustration level).

I still don't think that is necessarily true.  In the first, I think frustration and tears are two different things.  Some people are just not criers.  And why I highlighted the female contestants is because the talk was about how Amy, Candace, Danica and NeNe have all been shown to cry at one time or another, but not Meryl.   To which the response seemed to be the idea that Meryl has likely cried off camera but it wasn't shown because it didn't fit her story arc.  However I haven't seen any similar suggestions on the other side of the equation that James and Charlie have cried off camera as well, but of course their tears were left on the cutting room floor.  So why should I assume Meryl has broken down in tears, but not James or Charlie? 

As for Meryl, even if she did have a "breakdown" of sorts at one point this past week that wasn't shown, I think there is a big difference between showing some frustrations because she's human and her necessarily having this big drama filled moment.  

I also argue the claim that every waking moment is captured on film because these people's lives are not on display 24/7.  I definitely understand them getting frustrated and being emotional at times, but once they leave the rehearsal space or the sound stage, there are no cameras.  So if you are someone who is a bit better at controlling your emotions in the moment, you can easily try to keep it together in front of the cameras and then express your frustrations however you so choose on your own time.  And TBTB will be none the wiser because they don't have cameras following you home or thoroughout most of your daily life.   Even on set you can go lock yourself in a bathroom or in your trailer and nobody would ever be the wiser. 

• Love 1

Here's the thing though... If fans want to buy into the flirtation or showmance or what have you, why not let them? Does it really matter if people allow themselves to get sucked in or not? It's a reality show and we all know those are light on the reality. So what if people like the two of them together or think they're sweet? Who cares if people think Meryl has changed him? That's the nature of the show and different people do bring out different things in people. If it (and Maks) bothers you that much, why not just ignore it? It's DWtS not real life.

And I never said they shouldn't. I'm not going to wherever their shippers hang out and making comments discrediting it or calling it a showmance. As I said, I saw the gif while scrolling the DWTS tag on tumblr and I laughed but I didn't comment and simply kept scrolling. But this is a discussion board and varying opinions are allowed. Just as some are allowed to gush and talk about said chemistry and ship it or whatever else, I think I am more than entitled to say, "I don't see the great chemistry and in fact, I'm turned off by it because after seeing Maks pull pretty much exactly this same shit multiple times with multiple celebrities, it's gotten to the point where it just seems fake and pretty much a showmance." That is my opinion and I'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree with it. 

As for Maks bothering me so much, not really. My attention on Maks goes no further than DWTS. In other words, when the season is over, I'm done with him, as with most of the cast until the next season. It's why when he was gone from the show, trust me, I was not paying any attention to what he was doing with his time. And some can say the same about the many nasty comments Peta gets - well if she bothers them so much why not just not watch her dances and/or her rehearsal packages. But once again this is a discussion board for DWTS and I comment about all parts of it. I've made comments about pretty much all the pairings, their dances, who I think will win, etc. 

It's hard to blame Maks for playing up his chemistry with his partner.  Charlie's rehearsal package was 40 seconds long last week.  George from On the Red Carpet pointed out to Charlie and Sharna that their rehearsal packages are always that short, while the other couples are getting 3 minutes.  That's because Charlie & Sharna aren't doing anything interesting.

I don't think it's so much that they aren't doing anything interesting but more that there's simply no story (which is probably why the producers tried to create one this week with the whole perfect score thing). Although I guess I sort of contradicted myself because I guess in essence having no story is not doing anything interesting. I will say though it doesn't have to be about chemistry/showmance because plenty of pairings have had long, interesting rehearsal packages where there's no showmance like behavior going on but again there is usually some kind of story, some kind of journey. If Charlie gets frustrated in rehearsal about his score, I'm sure the producers will jump on that and that will become the story - the Olympian used to perfection getting frustrated.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

It was Louis. Erin even talked about his comments in some interview she did. Tony and Cheryl also made comments about it during the season. There was also another interview (I can't remember if it was with Chelsea Handler or Ellen) where they asked Maks flat out if Erin was making him a better, happier person like everyone was saying.

I would have to go back and watch the interviews again to remember everything that made me roll my eyes and think "Repeat!", but the comment Monday night that stood out to me was Maks talking about how everyone loves Meryl. Same stuff he spouted about Erin. 

Oooh, how did it end?

The way I've heard the story is they had some huge blowup after the ESPY Awards that summer. By the time they made up, Maks had signed up to be the Ukrainian Bachelor but didn't tell her about it until the last minute. There was a period when they unfollowed each other on Twitter and had nothing to do with each other, but they seemed to make up and finally become friends again when Erin showed up at his birthday party.

And I never said they shouldn't. I'm not going to wherever their shippers hang out and making comments discrediting it or calling it a showmance. As I said, I saw the gif while scrolling the DWTS tag on tumblr and I laughed but I didn't comment and simply kept scrolling. But this is a discussion board and varying opinions are allowed. Just as some are allowed to gush and talk about said chemistry and ship it or whatever else, I think I am more than entitled to say, "I don't see the great chemistry and in fact, I'm turned off by it because after seeing Maks pull pretty much exactly this same shit multiple times with multiple celebrities, it's gotten to the point where it just seems fake and pretty much a showmance." That is my opinion and I'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree with it.

For me it's the fact that if Maks is going to win, I want to see him win on the talent and ability of his partner, not because he's played up some showmance to get a bunch of shippers riled up enough to vote. And the fact he's done it so many times already, it's starting to feel like he doesn't think he can win on merit. Mel was married so I'm not going to include her, but going back to Erin, all Maks's partners have been single. And he's played every angle from the "real thing" with Erin to actively encouraging the shipping (I still have nightmares about all those in-dance kisses with Kirstie) to subtle little insinuations that get people talking to doing nothing but not setting the record straight. At this point I'm half expecting him to announce a relationship with Meryl, not because there is one but simply because it's the only thing left he hasn't pulled in one of his showmances.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 2

Yeah, that's on the producers if they can't manage to edit together an entertaining few minutes unless it involves tears or yelling. Charlie and Sharna are funny, charming people and several local tv stations have put together interesting little interviews with them during the SOI tour. It should be easy.

As for Maks bothering me so much, not really. My attention on Maks goes no further than DWTS. In other words, when the season is over, I'm done with him, as with most of the cast until the next season. It's why when he was gone from the show, trust me, I was not paying any attention to what he was doing with his time. And some can say the same about the many nasty comments Peta gets - well if she bothers them so much why not just not watch her dances and/or her rehearsal packages. But once again this is a discussion board for DWTS and I comment about all parts of it. I've made comments about pretty much all the pairings, their dances, who I think will win, etc.

And I agree that a variety of opinions are great, but when it comes to Maks you do come across as pretty confrontational about it. I'm not saying that you can't have your opinion about it or that you can't voice that opinion but whether it's intentional or not there's a point at which it just looks like you're intentionally being aggressive with people and won't let it go. Maybe you're unaware of it coming across that way.

And I feel the same way about the Peta comments that others make. There's voicing your opinion and then there's picking a fight. People (including myself) get fired up and lose sight of where that line is. Stating your opinion is fine, but I don't see the point in constantly trying to prove others wrong if they're not saying something that crosses the line of what is socially appropriate as many if the Peta comments did this week.

• Love 2

I think Latin Night is my favorite of the themes. I generally love all the music and this show was pretty good,imo. I wish the music guy could get his cues right. Jesus. Is it that hard? They do have rehearsals for that kind of thing.

I giggled at Danica to Val: "I don't care if you get me in the boob. I don't care." And props to Val for the having the nads to go in the ladies room to check on Danica.  Danica was adorable in those cutoffs and I wouldn't have known she had a rib injury if they didn't tell me. Not sure the jump rope bit was necessary. Ouchy.

I  love a hot dance as much as the next girl, but the way Peta was stroking that hose at the beginning of, "Gas-oh-LEEN-nah" was a bit much.  Later in the performance Peta got under James, he was straddling her and apparently supposed to be riding her with the vroom vroom engine sound of the song. Alrighty then.  Should I go fetch my pearls? :)

Ricki's whole face lights up when he speaks and I was loving the facial hair.

Bruno cannot stay in his chair. He just can't. 

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2
And I agree that a variety of opinions are great, but when it comes to Maks you do come across as pretty confrontational about it.

This is derailing the thread and is off-topic so I will just say this and I'm dropping it. This site does have the ignore function so it is easy to avoid my posts. I disagree that I was being confrontational or intended to be so. I made a comment about something on tumblr that I saw that I found amusing. It was quoted with the response that the poster saw no reason to question Maks or Maks and Meryl and their whatever that is going on.

I responded in kind with the reasons why I do question those things being that I've seen it before and then I made a simple comment that yes editing manipulates somethings but it cannot control everything. That was all. And suddenly we're here where I'm being accused of being confrontational simply because I say "yeah I don't buy this because we've been seeing it for multiple seasons." It's like my daring to eyeroll at Maks and Meryl's showmance is being taken as my eyerolling at those who want to believe in it and that is unfair imo.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

I would much rather see a long rehearsal package of Maks & Meryl flirting with each other and having fun than I would Charlie & Sharna being professional, platonic, drama free and dull.  People complain about TPTB making things interesting for television like it's a bad thing.  The truth is, just learning dance steps for hours and hours a day is not exciting to watch.

Interesting, because I'd rather see Charlie and Sharna pre-dance packages; watching how they develop choreography, build a routine, and for Charlie to master a new skill.  

I like watching Candace's pre-dance packages to because, like her, I suffer panic attacks and my nerves sometimes get the best of me.  I like watching her deal with those issues because she feels like a kindred spirit.

I find a lot of the packages with Maks and Meryl very forced as if they have a role to play and lines to recite and the cameras just "happen" to be there to catch all the heartfelt conversations.

• Love 3

OK guys a little hug it out message to everyone. Several mods reviewed posts here today and no one was breaking any rules. Please keep in mind that telling posters how to post is not your job (it's mine! ha!) and we've got systems in place to take care of actual rule breaking. So take a breath and then keep up the chat!

• Love 3

I loved that Meryl cracked her wrist, held it for a moment, said, "frick" and moved on.  Frick. 

I didn't mind the troupe members in the background because I couldn't take my eyes off Meryl and Maks. Wow.

Maybe we can we pool our funds and get Bruno a seatbelt or chair restraints and some sedatives.

• Love 3

I'd also love to see more work related pre-dance clips. I had seen a still shot of Sharna and Charlie doing handstands against each other this week....never saw that on the show. I also do think athletes are a lot more used to playing with pain. So are dancers. You strap up and keep going. 

• Love 2

I don't think I misheard, but Maks and Meryl got 3 tens and a nine from Len, 39; but Erin said, "a 40 for Maks and Meryl."  Hmmm.

Much too many diaper pants. Go away.

When Amy said that she was having trouble breathing, to me that signals the end of the interview right then.

I wonder who the lone boo-er was who sounded like a wounded moose.

• Love 1

I really think it's an issue of the producers not knowing what story to tell with Sharna and Charlie. Look at last season with Cheryl and Jack. There was definitely no showmance/chemistry happening there but there was the story of Jack's MS and his overcoming and learning to just live life and have fun and Cheryl mentioned in so many of their packages his helping her do that and I think viewers really responded to that and it was part of the reason he made it all the way to third place. And speaking of that season, I think the lack of a "story" was something that hurt Corbin, along with the ringer accusations. If memory serves, Corbin and Karina's rehearsals were pretty much just cut and dry and then his dancing was always good to great.

DWTS is a reality show at the end of the day, another reason why it's never been "fair" or based on the just the dancing. Viewers respond to the personal stories, the journey, etc. among other things. And up until this week, with Charlie and Sharna it's just been that they rehearse, get along well enough and dance well. I mean I personally like Charlie and definitely don't want him being a shock boot but I'm not the least bit surprised about his short rehearsal packages and if some viewers maybe are forgetting about him a little bit. But I really believe this week was the start of his "story" and things will turn around in the coming weeks - or not :)

I don't think I misheard, but Maks and Meryl got 3 tens and a nine from Len, 39; but Erin said, "a 40 for Maks and Meryl."  Hmmm.

Probably just a slip.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I also do think athletes are a lot more used to playing with pain. So are dancers. You strap up and keep going.

Agreed. I think that's probably where people like Charlie, Meryl, and Amy have a big advantage. It seems like on this show you are almost guaranteed to get injured in some way. Athletes have not only had time to develop the mental skills to push it aside and work though it, they have also learned to use pain to help them work harder because they want together pain to be worth it. Its harder for nonathletes to do the same thing, although Danica did do a great job this week.

• Love 1

Tony, free at last. He was beaming!

Who dressed NeNay? Was it Tony? If so, he got a little sweet revenge there imo because many times she looked like Big Bird. Normally, I notice that non-stick-thin, non-skinny, non-petite women can be very gorgeous and graceful and awesome. She's not one of them, imo.

Tom tried to coax MeMe to thank Tony before the clip package with, "You had a great partnership with Tony and here are some examples." Cue clip reel. She did not pick up the hint. Then Tom tried again with the phrasing, "Hey Tony, do you want to say something about your partner?" Any oaf would have gotten it by the second hint, so I'm guessing NeNay did not want to thank Tony deliberately. She's many things, but I don't think she's completely stupid. Tony spoke and Tom said quietly, "Good enough, Tony" which was apt, imo, as in, .... it was as if Tom were thinking, "ok, Tony, you took the high road and said nice things, don't over do it."  If NeNay has since gone on social media and thanked Tony and apologized for her omission of him in her exit speech, then never mind. I will stand corrected.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

I think I must be the most unromantic person in the entire world.  I've been reading through the whole discussions about Maks' and others "showmances," and I honestly have never really seen anything I would have called a 'showmance' except for Val and Kelly Monaco.  They were laying it on pretty thick, and they had good chemistry, but I found it squicky for some reason.  I've never seen anything I would have called a 'showmance' from Maks with anyone.  I've loved his partnerships with pretty much everyone except Hope (and Melissa a bit), and I know he's very handsy and affectionate with his partners, but I've never considered that a showmance or anything other than what a lot of the pros do.  It seems like dancers in general seem to be quite demonstrative.  I know they were trying to throw a shomance at us with Peta and Brant last season, but I couldn't see it.  Don't see anything between James and Peta this season either.  I just really mostly don't see it, but then I've never been one to 'ship people - real or made up.  I can't think of a single tv show where I've shipped couples other than very mildly - mostly I hate the forced-ness of feeling like everyone has to be paired up like animals on the ark or something.  <lol>  So it's never occurred to me that Maks and Meryl were anything more than just enjoying a great friendship - same as I felt with Maks and Kirstie and Maks and Mel and Maks and most of his partners.  And so I pretty much am enjoying all the partnerships this season with a couple of notable exceptions. 

I really enjoyed Latin night.  I thought almost everyone did a nice job on their dances with Nene being the weakest link.  James I find to be fairly "stompy," so I usually think he's overscored, but he gives it his all, so I enjoy watching him.  I'm waiting for Charlie to really break out.  I think Sharna needs to pay more attention to his footwork because it seems to be his downfall.  Meryl and Danica are so much fun to watch, and I'm finding Candace to be incredibly likeable and a decent dancer, so I hope she makes it a bit further.  Overall, I think it's been a really good season.

I could do without the 4th judge, but if they're going to bring one in, why not some of our favorite former pros like Louis or Anna?  At least they'd know what they were talking about and could give the constructive criticism that the judges seem to be passing on this season.  Ricky Martin was ok, but he didn't add much.  I actually found Donny Osmond to be the most interesting of the guest judges. 

Not sure what I think about these new side-by-side challenge dances.  I'll have to wait to see them, but I really hope they aren't taking the place of the trio dances.  I really liked those. 

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to next week.  I think Charlie should kill the quickstep, so I'm hoping Sharna pays attention to his footwork and doesn't overload the dance with difficulty so he can dance it cleanly.  I'd love to see him get some "real" 10s (I don't count the ones from the guest judges because they mostly don't know any more about dance than I do, which isn't much!).  It's time.

Edited by LadyMustang65
  • Love 2
I find a lot of the packages with Maks and Meryl very forced as if they have a role to play and lines to recite and the cameras just "happen" to be there to catch all the heartfelt conversations.

I feel the same. I actually laughed out loud at that package before their Tango because it was so poorly acted .Neither should quit their day jobs to get into acting (are you listening Maks?).

• Love 1

I feel the same. I actually laughed out loud at that package before their Tango because it was so poorly acted .Neither should quit their day jobs to get into acting (are you listening Maks?).

YMMV. I think they deserve an Emmy for that if it was scripted. It certainly impressed Henry Byalikov and Anna Trebunskaya and others who actually know Maks, that Maks and Meryl were being sincere.

Edited by MarySNJ
  • Love 1

Meryl is a grand actress :p She's supposedly this queen diva but nobody happens to catch it on camera ;)

Max is just enjoying himself. This is how Max is-look how he was with Candace.

(edited)

This week was kinda meh for me. Candace was much improved, as much as I hate to admit it. I fear The Spatted One will be around another week or two.

Though his dancing is OK, the constant over scoring has caused me to actively root for James to get Das Boot. Hated his outfit. I guess it was supposed to be folded down overalls, but looked like some sort of weird diaper/garter thing and was very distracting. Was also a bit concerned he was on the edge of wardrobe malfunction.

Thought Danica deserved better scores than NeNe, but when do the scores ever make sense? Charlie's Paso was stumbly. Don't know if Sharna is too ambitious or if he's just not getting it.

I guess Meryl was good, but half the time I couldnt find her amongst all the backup dancers.

Amy's dance didn't work for me this week & I felt sorry for her BF after the package. Hopefully her injury is just spasms, which while painful, should be temporary.

Thought Meryl & Amy did well in their group #, but Danica & Candace were not that good. The other group # was OK. Would have scored it 9-8.

Shirtless Twitter vote prime example of why I struggle to get through a whole season of this show. So lame.

NeNe was the worst remaining dancer, so fine with that. Hope James goes next.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 2

I found myself rather impressed with Candace and Mark's AT.  It wasn't completely clean and there were times you could see she was thinking her way through it, but as with a lot of her other dances, she had flashes of brilliance and real talent wanting to come through.  Also, I thought her dress was beautiful. 

Liked Meryl and Maks' dance, although not as much as last week's tango.  It was a fun, frivolous dance that let Meryl shake her groove thang, and be the leader in a group of pros.  I'd love to know what Maks was saying to her mid-dance.

Poor Charlie got hosed on scores but I agree with the AfterBuzz crew that he's trying too hard to get all tens and it's affecting his performance.  While I think Sharna is fantastic and her choreography is outstanding, I think she needs to have a little less content in their quickstep next week and just have a clean, sharp routine.  Charlie should do very well with quickstep especially as quickstep was part of his and Meryl's Short Dance this season.

• Love 2

Finally signed up here as I see a lot of people from TWOP have moved here.

I'm going to admit that I'm a Charlie fan and the thing that gets me is I see a lot of comments from people saying that he's not getting it implying that the scores are deserved compared to everyone else. He does "get it" as his routines have more content than anyone except maybe Meryl. The dancers on AfterBuzz stated that if Charlie wanted to become a pro dancer, he could. I don't think they are saying that for the sake of saying it. They see that he has talent and drive and there's no way he should be receiving scores the same as or lower than most of the people left on this show. By giving him the same score as James and Nene, Len is implying that they are all 3 on the same level and they are not (hell, Nene isn't on James' or Candace's level much less Charlie's). Because Len is seen as the expert, I think some people have started to buy into the notion that Charlie isn't very good, but he's actually awesome. Any other celeb (except Meryl) does that paso, they are getting 10s, Charlie get an 8. It's not fair because it places him below those he should be above and means that if the fans don't vote for him, he's gone. Luckily, it seems enough are as angry about his scores as I am and he's getting votes if those on various blogs are to believed.

• Love 1

The 8 for Charlie was harsh, but the 10 was generous and they cancel each other out for me. Bruno's comment to Charlie this week was spot on. Charlie looked like he was trying too hard and that set him off balance a few times. He made mistakes and therefore, I think the 9's were fair. I think Charlie is capable of putting '10' quality routines out there, but I don't think he's actually lived up to that yet.

Meryl is a grand actress :p She's supposedly this queen diva but nobody happens to catch it on camera ;)

Max is just enjoying himself. This is how Max is-look how he was with Candace.

I loved Maks and Candace in rehearsal. Maks was over the top, even for him, and Candace was a great sport about it. It showed that she's not always up tight. I really like Deej.

• Love 2

I think I must be the most unromantic person in the entire world.  I've been reading through the whole discussions about Maks' and others "showmances," and I honestly have never really seen anything I would have called a 'showmance' except for Val and Kelly Monaco.  They were laying it on pretty thick, and they had good chemistry, but I found it squicky for some reason.  I've never seen anything I would have called a 'showmance' from Maks with anyone.  I've loved his partnerships with pretty much everyone except Hope (and Melissa a bit), and I know he's very handsy and affectionate with his partners, but I've never considered that a showmance or anything other than what a lot of the pros do.  It seems like dancers in general seem to be quite demonstrative.  I know they were trying to throw a shomance at us with Peta and Brant last season, but I couldn't see it.  Don't see anything between James and Peta this season either.  I just really mostly don't see it, but then I've never been one to 'ship people - real or made up.  I can't think of a single tv show where I've shipped couples other than very mildly - mostly I hate the forced-ness of feeling like everyone has to be paired up like animals on the ark or something.  <lol>  So it's never occurred to me that Maks and Meryl were anything more than just enjoying a great friendship - same as I felt with Maks and Kirstie and Maks and Mel and Maks and most of his partners.  And so I pretty much am enjoying all the partnerships this season with a couple of notable exceptions. 

\

Kelly and Val were the squickiest of squicky. If I had to watch one more cutaway to commerical where they where up against a wall, gazing into each other's eyes, I was going to scream. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth about Val for a long time. He redeemed himself during his season with Zendaya when I thought he handled having a teenaged partner extremely well.

I am with you on the showmance angle. The Erin/Maks pairing had a lot of showmancing and couple-y bickering but that is the only one I can think of with Maks. Despite all the in dance kisses with Kirstie, I don't think anyone seriously felt like they were trying to push some sort of partner romance with those two, did they? She was 60 years old!  I always saw that partnership as an actress willing to go all in with whatever the role of the dance was and Maks was just along for the crazy ride. 

• Love 2