Type keyword(s) to search

Skin Tight - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I watched this week's episode--first time watching this show.  I thought it was kind of sad to find out that losing 200 lbs. is just the first step in a two-step process, the second step being the removal of the loose skin.  And obviously not everyone is going to be able to afford the surgery.  It must be pretty depressing to lose an enormous amount of weight and be left with a problem that's almost as bad as the extra weight.

• Love 3

I think this show would work better if we knew the people while they were trying to lose weight but I'm guessing the 600 pound people never get to this point. I also could live without the slow-mo scenes of their excess skin flapping in the breeze. I don't know if these people know exactly what's going to be shown-but I would be horribly embarrassed to have anyone see that.

Dr. Now seems to do skin removal in a very rough way leaving huge scars. I would rather go to the plastic surgeon who helps it look better. I assume people are getting the surgery free and don't have much choices here.

• Love 2

I also have to wonder how long the weight loss really lasts. Most people end up regaining at least half of their excess weight over a period of time.

Some of the people featured seem , at least in my opinion, overly concerned about their appearance. And skin removal surgery will leave huge scars, not to mention how much time that they have to take off work in order to recover from these surgeries. 

• Love 2

I also get this odd feeling when the patients discuss their feelings about their loose skin.  Does the show provide them with a script?  It's perhaps the most horrific description of depression, disgust, shame, withdrawal, etc. that I have ever heard.  NO ONE is just bothered by the skin.  ALL ARE PARALYZED by it.  I'm not sure if it's for real or not.  I mean, I get it.  I see what they are describing, but, their emotional state is more scary than the skin.  Just when I'm convinced that they are very mentally ill, they get fixed, look good and wham!  There's fine now.  I mean, does that surgery really work that well?  

If it were me, I don't think that I would be bothered by scars, since, scars aren't normally painful as all that loose skin and irritation.  I think fear of pain and infection would give me pause, but, I don't think that I would choose to live with the loose skin if I had the choice to have surgery.

Another question I have is why they all seem so terrified of whether they will qualify for skin surgery.  Really?  I mean, most of them certainly would qualify.  Only, occasionally, does someone have to lose more weight or they have a medical problem.  

Have you ever noticed the calves of the women? Most of them are very large, even if the rest of the body is super thin.  I wonder why. 

Still, I enjoy the show.  It really sucks you in in the beginning. 

• Love 1

I'm trying hard to lose weight but I have to admit I am scared of having loose skin like these people have. I honestly think it looks worse than being fat ( I know they are healthy and so on). They gloss over it on the show but the recovery time and pain is very substantial. And if you get a surgeon like Dr. Now you have such ugly scars you have to stay covered up. I know its irrational but the skin grosses me out!

On 4/13/2017 at 1:28 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Have you ever noticed the calves of the women? Most of them are very large, even if the rest of the body is super thin.  I wonder why. 

Still, I enjoy the show.  It really sucks you in in the beginning. 

Calves are mostly muscle and they get really built up and muscular from carrying all that weight around for so long.

I like seeing the reveals but I really get sick of them spending so much time playing with all of their skin like it's a bunch of play dough.  I think it's probably a requirement (like the obligatory shower scene on 600lb), because they seem to hate the skin so much that they wouldn't want to spend so much time fondling it.

I do find it funny that they go nutty about being so embarrassed if people see their sagging skin but they all seem to wear tank and spaghetti strap tops.  Like the lady a couple episodes ago that had a work meeting and then carried on about how horrible it was to have to be in meetings thinking that they were all looking at her batwings.  While she was wearing a camisole top.   

I do wish they would separate it from 600lb life because I've been finding it tough to watch two hours of the horrible people they've had on lately and it's too much to ff through to watch Skin Tight.  So I've missed several episodes, which is why I can't remember the exact episode I described above.

• Love 2

Anyone see the new episode last night?  It was pretty good.  I suppose this is the new season. 

I did think the man who was featured looked awfully thin.  He claimed to be healthy, though.  With him eating so healthy, I wonder how his wife justifies not doing that too.  Suppose that I'm speculating, but, she appeared to be overweight to me. Not really obese, but, in the overweight category. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I did think the man who was featured looked awfully thin. 

He looked anorexic to me. His face was gaunt and his arms looked like twigs -- I expected them to snap at any moment. I didn't watch the whole thing so I didn't see what he looked like after the skin removal surgery. 

To me, he looked even thinner than Bob Harper when he was at his thinnest.  I used to think that Bob was too thin and looked unwell. I wondered if he was sick.  Turns out, he had that heart attack and appears to be heavier now.  To me, he looks better. Anyway, this guy did appear very thin and I wonder if he really is as healthy as he claimed.   Of course, if he wasn't well, I doubt that Dr. Now would have done that skin surgery. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Anyway, this guy did appear very thin and I wonder if he really is as healthy as he claimed.   Of course, if he wasn't well, I doubt that Dr. Now would have done that skin surgery. 

I completely agree, and was surprised that Dr. Now didn't ask him to gain some fat. He looked to be about 5'7" max, and weighed 150lbs with the extra skin. The skin surgery took off 6lbs of skin, so that's 144lbs. I think Dr. Now thought he was anorexic as well, because he said that BJ's blood tests confirmed that he was "getting enough nutrition." I really think that he has body dysmorphic disorder or is just really, really stuck on his appearance. Even his pictures from when he was obese show him with designer glasses, and most of his skinny and post-op clothes were really tight - especially the shirts. I wouldn't call that much attention to my birdlike frame if I were a guy, but different strokes and all that.

• Love 1

These people all look like they’re melting. How horrible to go through all the work of losing all that weight to then face a whole other set of body issues.

• Love 1

Two things.  Antonio needs to kick that sorry excuse of a boyfriend to the curb.  He's a selfish. jerk.

And why doesn't Natasha see a real plastic surgeon, not  Dr Now?  His skin removal technique does not appear as good as a plastic surgeon.  Just my opinion. 

• Love 7

Since Natasha lives in Waco, Texas, I have to wonder if Dr. Now did her original weight loss surgery. It did catch me by surprise when she said she never realized how big she was even at 500 pounds, but I suppose she really wasn't paying attention. Still, at that size, you can't fit in regular chairs and booths at restaurants and driving must be difficult as well. 

I have to wonder why Antonia came all the way from Wilmington, DE down to Texas, but I guess they were paying for her numerous surgeries. It probably cost a fortune otherwise and wouldn't have been covered by her insurance. I was also wondering where her younger sister was, unless I missed something. She said she gained weight after her dad left at age 10 and her mom was pregnant. I'm assuming she must have gotten therapy as well as weight loss surgery to deal with her binge eating disorder. Weight loss surgery alone won't fix binge eating. I have a friend who got gastric bypass 4 years ago, lost about 70 lbs and sadly has regained nearly all of it due to binge eating. 

• Love 1

"I have to force myself to go to work because my arms are so embarrassing and my students laugh and make fun behind my back.  So of course I'll wear this sleeveless top in class."

Never gets old, except it does.

Antonia should dump another 200 or so pounds and get rid of the selfish, non caretaker, points out other women he thinks look better than her, unsupportive jackass she calls her boyfriend.  I kind of hope she watched this episode and actually listened to herself and what she said about him.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 3

I have a friend who went through both steps - started at 305 and is now in the 180s and has stayed there at least five years now.  Did the skin removal surgery, I think, two surgeries’ worth.  It was brutal, but he got through it.  

• Love 1

Did anyone watch last night’s episode? I fell asleep before the skin removals, but that one chick was straight up anorexic. She reminded me of the one YouTube girl who was chronically anorexic, scene/emo kid whose mother enabled the fuck out of her. From the up, I believe?

Off to finish watching. 

On 3/15/2018 at 1:50 AM, Swiss said:

Two things.  Antonio needs to kick that sorry excuse of a boyfriend to the curb.  He's a selfish. jerk.

And why doesn't Natasha see a real plastic surgeon, not  Dr Now?  His skin removal technique does not appear as good as a plastic surgeon.  Just my opinion. 

I got the feeling that they apply to be on the show and the surgery is paid for by TLC.  I'm not sure.  But, it would seem to me that health insurance could cover this surgery, since, it really is more about health and not cosmetic. based on what I've seen.  All that skin, irritation, infections, etc.  Seems like a medical necessity.  

On 3/29/2018 at 2:25 PM, dreadfulLeigh said:

Did anyone watch last night’s episode? I fell asleep before the skin removals, but that one chick was straight up anorexic. She reminded me of the one YouTube girl who was chronically anorexic, scene/emo kid whose mother enabled the fuck out of her. From the up, I believe?

Off to finish watching. 

If you finish watching you'll see that after a visit to a therapist she was diagnosed as anorexic.  She was downright skeletal.  The first woman was positively stunning.

• Love 1
On 3/29/2018 at 11:32 AM, b2H said:

Anyone have an idea as to why the patient needs to see the evidence of the skin that was sliced off?  Not sure what the payoff is for that.

I have no idea why they would show the excised skin. It does seem weird. 

6 hours ago, cynicat said:

If you finish watching you'll see that after a visit to a therapist she was diagnosed as anorexic.  She was downright skeletal.  The first woman was positively stunning.

She was skeletal. IIRC, she did mention in therapy how uncomfortable she was to have people tell her to eat more when she had always been told to eat less.  Her excess skin was obvious and I can understand her desire to have it removed. However, I don’t think that would have made her happy either. Just speculation, but she might have then fixated on the extensive scarring that surgery requires.  IMO, her weight loss surgery was a fail since she did not maintain a healthy weight. I wish her well and would be interested to hear more of her journey.

• Love 1
On 3/31/2018 at 11:30 PM, AntAnn said:

She was skeletal. IIRC, she did mention in therapy how uncomfortable she was to have people tell her to eat more when she had always been told to eat less.  Her excess skin was obvious and I can understand her desire to have it removed. However, I don’t think that would have made her happy either. Just speculation, but she might have then fixated on the extensive scarring that surgery requires.  IMO, her weight loss surgery was a fail since she did not maintain a healthy weight. I wish her well and would be interested to hear more of her journey.

This was Hope. I remember her well because her story did a real number on me (recovered anorexic, almost 15 years since my last relapse!) The thing that struck me about her was that her eating disorder (well anorexia at least, it wouldn't surprise me if she had a different ED that led to her initial weight gain) was that it seemed to strike her by accident. Like you said, she didn't know how to eat to maintain because all her life she'd been eating to lose. It was a very different mentality than a traditional anorexia mindset, where you know exactly where your body's at, and there's no "too thin" and you actively resist seeking therapy and admitting outwardly that you have a problem. Everything is denial and you only eat as much as you absolutely have to to fool the people around you into thinking you're really trying, when you know in your secret alone places you're doing everything you can to counteract those fifty bites of carrots that you chewed for a minute each and waited a minute in between because you're not eating, you're in an endurance competition to outlast the person looking at you who wants you to clean your plate and you know they'll give up out of frustration before you give up on your goals.

Am I rambling? Welcome to the inner thoughts of a typical anorexic. Which is why it was so heartwarming to see her acknowledge how she innocently stumbled upon this ED and her genuine attempts to get better. It was hard to watch her run her hands over her ribcage and remember what my ribcage used to look like when it jutted out, but it was refreshing to see her get real help and seek support from her loved ones, while actively trying to get better.

• Love 4

Watching Melanie and Lauren's Story, and Melanie was told not to eat after midnight. Well, this idiot wakes up and eats eggs and turkey bacon, and acts surprised when Dr. Now's RN tells her she's probably sabotaged her surgery. Dr. Now asks WHY on earth she'd eat right before her surgery, and she says, "Oh, it was a misunderstanding." Winds up having to have her stomach pumped with a nose tube, still saying, "Oh, I can't believe I've had to TO THROUGH THIS all because of A MISUNDERSTANDING." ?

Lord have mercy.

BTW Lauren didn't eat before surgery.

ETA: Melanie's story had a wonderfully sweet ending. After her tummy surgery, she was scheduled to have two more surgeries. She decided to postpone those in order to work on herself, and get her life to a better place. At the end, she moved back into her own place and had a housewarming party ... and a new boyfriend! ❤️

Edited by lightninggirl
  • Love 3

Did anyone see the episode last week? I'm not sure if it was new or not, since, I don't watch it routinely. 

I wonder why someone would be so desperate to get the skin surgery, when they are still considerably overweight and still have so much fat on their body.  This one lady was denied, due to that, but, given the chance to get down by 20 pounds.  She almost made it, but, was allowed surgery anyway.  She was still over 200 pounds, though.  So, that means when she loses another 50 pounds, will her surgery be for naught? 

11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone see the episode last week? I'm not sure if it was new or not, since, I don't watch it routinely. 

I wonder why someone would be so desperate to get the skin surgery, when they are still considerably overweight and still have so much fat on their body.  This one lady was denied, due to that, but, given the chance to get down by 20 pounds.  She almost made it, but, was allowed surgery anyway.  She was still over 200 pounds, though.  So, that means when she loses another 50 pounds, will her surgery be for naught? 

No, I don’t think,it will be for naught.  At her peak, she was about 450lbs.  Losing another 50 or so wouldn’t have nearly the impact on her skin.

1 hour ago, b2H said:

No, I don’t think,it will be for naught.  At her peak, she was about 450lbs.  Losing another 50 or so wouldn’t have nearly the impact on her skin.

Plus, I think the weight of the skin removed was around 20lbs + change so she didn't have a lot more to lose.

Just watched the latest episode. Why in the world don't they wait to air these episodes until the participants have had all their surgeries and recovered? For instance, Emilly and Jose: she hadn't had her thigh lift yet and he was clearly in the early stages of recovery from his surgery. If the show doesn't wait until there's a good result, what's the point? They hardly show the recovery process. It's just so much talking at the camera and pulling at their skin. Between this show and My 600 lb Life people sound so dull and boring.

I watch these on demand so I don't know - is this the season finale?

• Love 1